• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

After all these years i've become a noob...

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
Hello, this is something that has happened to me and i'm wondering if anyone else feels the same. I bought my copy of pokemon blue the day it came out... I played it constantly. I completed it pretty quickly, completed my pokedex, got a mew... Lovely.
Fast Forward a few years, I got an import copy of Gold, by this time pokemon was pretty much dead among my peers and i was the only one who even knew there was a new pokemon game. I wasn't too excited, i just played it and completed it, never really talking to anyone about it or looking at guides or making a really good team.
Now to present day, I love pokemon as much as i did when it first came out, I'm currently playing Emerald, LeafGreen and Mystery Dungeon Blue... They're all great and everything but now i look online and it's all become so much more advanced!
Even though i've been playing pokemon probably longer than any of you guys I'm a complete noob! I don't have a clue what STAB is or what an IV or an EV is and how they work... Maybe pokemon has left an older generation behind.

ps. What is STAB??

Jupetta

STAB is Same Type Attack Boost, meaning if like a Banette used Shadow Ball, the base power would become 120 instead of the usual 80. It just means that if a Pokémon uses a move that is the same type as it the move gets a 1.5 increase in strength. I hope that could help you some.

~;354;

JONNO.FRESH

What do u mean you've been playing longer then most people here. Thats just crap. Most people (like myself) have also been playing the games since they first came out.

Omega Pirate

shove it up ya bum!
Yeah, Pokemons been around since 1995-97ish, most people here have been playing it since it started. Don't be thinking you were the first.

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
Oh wow thankyou! Stab... that makes sense!
Um ok well yeah maybe not longer than most people but unless you played the japanese one you can't have been playing pokemon longer than me... And when i bought my pokemon game nobody had ever heard of it... it was before the uk release and yeah...
I'll admit that some people may have been playing exactly the same amount of time as me but with the exception of japanese people, nobody's been playing longer than me. DId not mean to make a challenge!

-Dragon-

Furret rocks
IV - Individual value
EV - Effort value

Hope that helps.

JONNO.FRESH

Oh wow thankyou! Stab... that makes sense!
Um ok well yeah maybe not longer than most people but unless you played the japanese one you can't have been playing pokemon longer than me... And when i bought my pokemon game nobody had ever heard of it... it was before the uk release and yeah...
I'll admit that some people may have been playing exactly the same amount of time as me but with the exception of japanese people, nobody's been playing longer than me. DId not mean to make a challenge!

Wow Big Whoop. You played a GB game a few Months before most people. Your nothing special. Deal with it

LightningEspeon

Cyper King
Hello, this is something that has happened to me and i'm wondering if anyone else feels the same. I bought my copy of pokemon blue the day it came out... I played it constantly. I completed it pretty quickly, completed my pokedex, got a mew... Lovely.
Fast Forward a few years, I got an import copy of Gold, by this time pokemon was pretty much dead among my peers and i was the only one who even knew there was a new pokemon game. I wasn't too excited, i just played it and completed it, never really talking to anyone about it or looking at guides or making a really good team.
Now to present day, I love pokemon as much as i did when it first came out, I'm currently playing Emerald, LeafGreen and Mystery Dungeon Blue... They're all great and everything but now i look online and it's all become so much more advanced!
Even though i've been playing pokemon probably longer than any of you guys I'm a complete noob! I don't have a clue what STAB is or what an IV or an EV is and how they work... Maybe pokemon has left an older generation behind.

ps. What is STAB??

I was born in america and probably as soon as pokemon was released my brothers had the pokemon cards and everything, and so i took a liking to it, as soon as the game came out, i (and my brothers) had bought the game, me with blue and the others with red! So actully alot of people have played pokemon for about the same time as you.

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
Ok ok i'm sorry! i didn't mean i was special! well i am.. but everyone is! but no i wasn't trying to compete with anyone saying "i'm super experienced at pokemon... everyone else is weak!" i'm completely the opposite! i was just remarking how even though i've been playing for ages it's got really complicated! you shouldn't have pounced on me like that! that was mean! my whole post was about me not being great and you picked up on one little fact that i mentioned and imagined i meant that i was great just because i've played pokemon since the first day of the first english release.

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
I never said that!!! I never said nobody's been playing it since the first day! Of course other people have! Guys you've got me all wrong... i'm admitting i'm not amazing at pokemon.. sure i can complete them but as i was saying in my post i don't have a clue about a lot of the newer stuff like ev's and stab and breeding (actually breeding REALLY confuses me!)

JONNO.FRESH

EV's and STAB where in the older games.

JONNO.FRESH

Well there was a form of it in the older games and thats what i meant

Ranna

ok how about we stop attacking each other now

iv'e been playing since red/blue and never heard the term stab though i was aware of the advantage of using same type moves as the pokemon. really the only answer hear is for pokemistress to ask questions and for people to answer them not verbally asault someone because of a simple misread or getting the wrong message out of a line of text

VaUgHaNy86

ThE FalLeN AnGeL
people i think you're givin this dude a lot of stick for no real reason tbh, he aint tryin to say hes better than every1 else, hes actually sayin that he isn't which i think a few people on these forums should take note of, hes askin for a bit of help and you're all givin him stick for a very small part of his post, its a bit harsh dont you think?