• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

After SUMO have you feelings towards BW changed?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
While SM doesn't suddenly make BW seem like a better series to me, I can atleast admit that I certainly do miss some aspects from BW, namely the traveling, smaller cast, and frequent battle tournaments (even if battles were pretty mediocre in BW).

SM, till episode 50 wasn't my favorite for sure, but it was still way more watchable than BW. However, since then (barring the short but decent Ula'ula arc), SM has gone even more downhill for me, and as of now is tied with BW for my least favourite series.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
While SM doesn't suddenly make BW seem like a better series to me, I can atleast admit that I certainly do miss some aspects from BW, namely the traveling, smaller cast, and frequent battle tournaments (even if battles were pretty mediocre in BW).

SM, till episode 50 wasn't my favorite for sure, but it was still way more watchable than BW. However, since then (barring the short but decent Ula'ula arc), SM has gone even more downhill for me, and as of now is tied with BW for my least favourite series.

The Kanto two parter and Ula Ula were the only parts that have not made me cringe.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Lillie hugging Nebby is probably one of the most infuriating moments in SM because they had absolutely no bonding experiences and Nebby did less for Lillie than Shiron has
Nebby is one of the sole reasons why Lillie is over her childhood trauma and can successfully move on in life. He purposely transported Lillie places and to the AF so she can finally confront her repressed memories and successfully touch Pokémon.

Xuxuba

I don't think the fact that he involuntarily and indirectly helped her once justifies that completely unrelated intimate moment that came to existence despite the lack of a bond between them, but i guess this is subjective.

Although i wasn't that angered about it, it definetly felt out of place for me since Ash was the one who took care of him the most and yet the moment where the two of them reunited was so rushed and not as intimate as that moment between Nebby and Lillie. Not to mention Ash and Nebby's goodbye was like "oh hey, there goes the baby i raised, i am probably not going to see him for a long time, maybe never again, but whatevs =D". It felt like Nebby became a complete stranger to Satoshi once he evolved.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I don't think the fact that he involuntarily and indirectly helped her once justifies that completely unrelated intimate moment that came to existence despite the lack of a bond between them, but i guess this is subjective.
Except he didn’t involuntarily do it. Nebby is known to transport to random places but him transferring Lillie to Gladion and to her old home and finally the AF was no accident. And I’m finding it hard how you can even think that when Lillie outwardly said she wanted to remember everything. And it wasn’t indirect. Lillie wouldn’t of faced her trauma without Nebby; point blank period. I don’t understand why PokeGirls need to be condemned every time they get something Ash doesn’t. *PokeGirl gets something* people: BUT WHAT ABOUT ASH? It was the same thing when Iris got a pseudo Pokémon. I get some wish he got an intimate moment with Nebby but that has nothing to do with Lillie.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
No, it hasn't. Every series I've watched has not been influenced by its successors/predecessors. While I may prefer if Ash's memories, strategies, and overall knowledge carried over from each generation, I realized BW ruined that so much. BW is not far from its golden moments. I don't hate BW, as I've come to appreciate things like Iris and Cilan. I still have my gripes, but that's with every series. BW is at least better than all of OS.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Honestly, my feelings towards a series are not based on its successor or predecessor. What do you take me for, a teacher?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
No. I like them both. If anything, SM has made me like BW a bit less, because TRio are mostly back to their normal loveable lose selves instead of their Ultra - serious take during BW.

DatsRight

No. I like them both. If anything, SM has made me like BW a bit less, because TRio are mostly back to their normal loveable lose selves instead of their Ultra - serious take during BW.

It was step forward step back thing, since while it came at the cost of their personalities, I did like BW was enforcing effortful face-offs with TR for once. I appreciate BW was a series where they 'cut the cord' more often, letting the twerps' Pokemon take damage in battles and make the twerps actually do clever things on their own to win instead of things always being plot armoured to be a curb stomp, which tends to only work when it's outrageous enough to be funny (eg. physics bending over to have Wile E Coyote's traps backfire onto him and never the Road Runner).

Since XY the series seems to have become more against letting certain Pokemon get too roughed up (particularly the designated 'cute' ones) keeping them inactive besides completely one-sided battles or instances they'll be saved before the opponent so much as gets in a hit, which means spamming TR as useless most of the time again. They've also come out with lazier and lazier solutions, Pikachu vs Mimikyu have only really had one fully drawn out battle and even that was the usual 'Twerps Pokemon gets a new move = instant win" cop out ending.

BW at least felt like TR were relevant because they were an actual unnegated challenge to the twerps many times, and even when they started to become comical again, it at least came with the pro of the twerps having funny banter with them. SM gives TR good individual personalities and roles, but their antagonist role still feels superfluous and bland, the twerps don't bounce off of them or remotely develop from them in any way, and any instance it looks like they potentially could, something cops out.

With that said, many complained about BW's main event battles like the gyms and rivals being poorly conceived instead, so it might just be a case of the writers only being able to do so many good ones and having to direct quality control to one particular area.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
No. BW was a stream of bad decisions. I enjoy SM for what it is.

If they wanted to give Iris and Cilan their own recurring rivals, that's fine. But if most of their appearances is nothing but standing around watching tournaments and bickering with one another, then why bother?
Honestly I found the rivals one of the most entertaining features of BW. Admittedly they did less than DP’s rivals or XY’s (well at least Ash’s rivals) but their interactions and chemistry were great. Georgia’s and Burgendy’s bantering back and forth was to date one of my favorite things about BW. And at least Georgia played a part in Iris’ reconciliation with Excadrill and made her question her abilities as Dragon Master in training. Plus their arguments were gold... at least in the dub.

DatsRight

BW's battles were personally a lot better than SM's

I'll credit that BW's battle run, while not brilliantly done, at least toyed a lot more with making the twerps more fallible, even amping up TR so they were the underdog more often. Even some of their wins were called into question (eg. how much Dragonite cleaning house was earned by Iris). While execution was iffy, I like seeing a hero that struggles a bit and doesn't win automatically.

By SM, besides some odd good battles, they just seem to have cut the formalities altogether with the twerps' plot armour, with Ash having a perfect run with the Z Moves both in offence and defence, and even the non-battlers rarely even taking a hit in their token battles. It's obviously not as big an irritance because battles aren't NEARLY as often key focus, but you'd think now they have more breather moments, they'd try to make the rarer occasions count.

Did someone complain about BW being too brutal on the twerps or something?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, I could say it's changed my opinion on the matter that Unova is no longer my least favorite region in the show, but it's not because I've gotten any greater appreciation for it, it's just simply because Alola is worse. Yeah, Unova handled itself better than Alola currently is, but it still wasn't good compared to what came before it.

Still, I'll give Unova credit where credit is due. It did pretty much everything better than Alola is. The one thing I can think of that I like better about Alola than Unova is its handling of Team Rocket. At the very least, Team Rocket is the most entertaining they've been since Sinnoh in Alola, while they were the worst they've ever been in Unova. While I hate that they're missing from so many episodes in Alola, they were missing from even more in Unova.

FusionAesthetic

Sci Fi Trainer
Unova while not the best was nowhere as much as a trainwreck as SUMO is. The art,lack of plot compared to past series,lack of battles,ugly art and dumping of characters really makes me hate the direction they took. I get BW tried new things but it still felt like Pokemon. With that said I guess the games can be blamed for being so different. IF the new games are doing something different I actually hope the anime doesn't suffer again but give us something that feels like Pokemon and not SoL