• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Afterlife

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
Hell is also something people like to think exist so that all the rapists, murderers and "sinners" may feel the pain of what they have done to others. This encourages people to be good and for a better society.

http://www.medwaycropcircle.co.uk/The Circle TWOsmaller.jpg

They don't realize that (using this image as a metaphor of sorts) the small dot is the size of someone's anus before going to prison, and the hole circle is the size after leaving prison. That's enough punishment for a rapist or a murderer.

Let's find Waldo.

The problem is figuring out where he would be...

Maybe we should start by searching all the cities, after all, if you need to hide a tree, use a forest.

invaderdim

Dimmest of the Dim^^
i have many beliefs
im not quite sure about this one but with my very basic knowledge of how the brain works its electrical impulses between cells(?) and ghosts 'apparently' produce electromagnetic umm... waves? signals? i dunno, but perhaps these electromagnetic w.e are actually the electrical impulses from the brain
but my more realistic view is that its like turning off a TV, it jsut stops, nothing to experience, nothing to think, nothing to see, nothing to hear, nothing...

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Well, there's seven levels of Heaven. To get into any level is a relief, but the higher the level the better the stuff. So lower levels of Heaven are like a trailer park (not literally, figuratively speaking) and the higher levels are like livin large. The highest and most coveted level is the one where you'll be able to see all the prophets. Of course that's the last one and you'll also be able to see God. Who wouldn't want to go there? The really cool thing is if a family member has excelled and received a higher level, they have the choice of bringing their family to that level. They can say no though.

Likewise, there's many levels of Hell. The lower the level the higher the punishment. I don't know how many levels but I believe there may be hundreds.

you know to be really honest with you i dislike it so much when prophets start make stuff like this up and spread the word about it.
i mean... levels of heaven, besides it just being unfair it's gibberish made up by people who don't know it either.

this might sound a little offending at first sight but the blind follow the stupid, we don't know what's going to happen and science proved so many times before that religions were wrong in their unsupported theories and it's not like there's coming an end to it anytime soon.

i tell you one day our era will be a funny subject in historyclass.

edit:
and human psychologics.

Last edited:

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
man forget what the scientists say, like they know? i mean we know we are gonna die, and we know that, well, that we, our souls go somewhere. i mean did they die and then come back with proof?
i think not.

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
i have no idea, i'm still checking the afterlife catalog, the 78 virgins sounds tempting but i'm not sure if that includes 78 mothers in law or not.

Thread winner.

I'm a Christian, so it is my belief that when I die I will go to heaven or hell based on the life I live. Pretty simple.

~*Lyra

Pokémaniac
After you die...your decay into nothing.

The "light" people who nearly die see is just the light you see when your brain shuts off.

But the good news is that science is advancing quickly enough that many young people today will eventually have access to treatments that stop aging and death from natural causes and stuff like cancer.

Always look on the bright side :)

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
blah,blah,blah. we will find out soon enough what'll happen... :rolleyes:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Um, yeah, fine I guess. I suppose it still doesn't bother me. But let's just be contradictory here.

What kind of inherent meaning would be enough to vindicate these things for you? Is it really a matter of some sentient, ever-watching being saying, "This is good. This is what you're supposed to do"? Because that seems just as asinine. Maybe it's not that. But if you're so hung up on the idea that all comes to naught, I'd love to hear your alternative.

Oh, I'm not so concerned about God. I have... unorthodox ideas about that, anyway. I think that we're all part of the same whole, and that whole is kind of God. As for morality, I don't think it's about God making judgments. I think it's about not hurting others because it causes pain and separates us when we're much better off being close to each other. When we hurt others, we hurt ourselves. Basically, I think we're here to grow spiritually and connect with others.

I just want to know that who I am and what I learn doesn't disappear. If it's just for making survival more tolerable... there doesn't seem much point. I could work hard to become better my whole life, or I could die tomorrow, and it would be the same.

Also, knowing that love would be meaningless, other than to benefit the species. There wouldn't be any such thing if we didn't have any choice in the matter, anyway... and we'd all be trapped within ourselves, with other people basically serving as objects for projecting our own selves. When I got hung up on that, it made me feel really isolated

It may not bother you, but... I can't forget those things. I don't mean to be insulting, but it seems to me like people who believe that way and understand what it implies must live just trying not to think about it. I mean, you can say that it's pointless to agonize over it, but it's still a pretty depressing thought. Plus the whole idea of oblivion is just terrifying. I can't understand how it doesn't scare some people. The only thing I can imagine is that they just haven't realized their own mortality yet. Once again, don't mean to be insulting, it's just that I really can't understand it.

Happiness and pain have meaning in and of that they cause happiness and pain. What more do you want? The fact that someone's sole chance at experience can be either bettered or worsened isn't enough to vindicate a code of ethics?

Well, sort of... I mean, we'd do it because it makes us feel good, but... I'd still like to think that there's more meaning behind it than just temporary well-being. I'd like to think that what you did benefits that person even after death.

Last edited:

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
man forget what the scientists say, like they know? i mean we know we are gonna die, and we know that, well, that we, our souls go somewhere. i mean did they die and then come back with proof?
i think not.

forget what the scientists say... that's what multiple religions tried to make their followers repeat to keep the donations flowing, scientists may not be able to prove it but at least they know that, nobody came back to prove us heaven existed either and still people follow and pay for it how stupid is that?

i tell you if i asked a hundred people how heaven looks they all say something different, humanity is being fooled by it's own curiosity but sadly there are people that refuse to listen because god is more important then wisdom.

my final conclusion is that nobody will proof what happens when you die nomatter how smart or dumb any person is, the best way is to accept it.

Last edited:

FlawLass

Unless someone dies and goes back to life there is no way to tell which is true

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
which is impossible=D

Well, not entirely. There are near death experiences. I don't want to type all my arguments again, but... just assume their real for the sake of my argument if you don't believe in them.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I think it's about not hurting others because it causes pain and separates us when we're much better off being close to each other. When we hurt others, we hurt ourselves. Basically, I think we're here to grow spiritually and connect with others.
Yes, because it improves our own well-being and happiness, as well as, ostensibly, those who come after us.

I just want to know that who I am and what I learn doesn't disappear. If it's just for making survival more tolerable... there doesn't seem much point. I could work hard to become better my whole life, or I could die tomorrow, and it would be the same.
Except what you do also has a lasting impact on the world you leave behind, at least for a time.

Also, knowing that love would be meaningless, other than to benefit the species.
Well, moreso individuals within your sepcies. It all comes back to empathy. But there's really no point in trying to debate this (in so much as any of this can really be debated anyway), because I think we're both just using very different perspectives with the same basic understanding here.

I don't mean to be insulting, but it seems to me like people who believe that way and understand what it implies must live just trying not to think about it.
No, that's exactly right. But, with the added caveat that by forgetting, you're able to build more experience and enjoyment for youself and, as you said, use them to pass on happiness and connect with others.

To make it all sound very sappy and philosophical, that is.

I mean, you can say that it's pointless to agonize over it.
It is.

Plus the whole idea of oblivion is just terrifying. I can't understand how it doesn't scare some people. The only thing I can imagine is that they just haven't realized their own mortality yet. Once again, don't mean to be insulting, it's just that I really can't understand it.
I believe I actually stated in my very first post in this thread that I do find it terrifying. I am extremely, extremely afraid of dying. In comprehensible non-existence? That's scary as hell. But that doesn't mean I can force myself to believe in an alternative because it's convenient or comforting. It means I have to accept that my one shot at experiencing anything is through life, and also accept that my lasting impression will be how I'm remembered by others. That provides a pretty natural system of moral checks and balances too.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Well, not entirely. There are near death experiences. I don't want to type all my arguments again, but... just assume their real for the sake of my argument if you don't believe in them.

i saw a program about that on discovery channel once, it's imagination combined with a shortage of air in the brains, see when a person dies his brains shows some little activity after the last breath for a short period of time which will be the last part of the body that will stop functioning. the brains will suffer from a shortage of air soon and since they still work a little that person starts to hallucinate for a short moment.

normaly you die and take that one lifetime experience to your grave but when revived fast you will remember this, it's like a dream, you see things based on events you saw in your life that are long gone or things that you like to see.

i can't blame the people for actualy believing things like this though it can be very realistic and emotional. an old pal i knew nearly drowned once and saw his passed away mother reaching out for him, the next thing he knew was that he woke up on a brancard with lots of people around him. eversince he was convinced that moms gave him the will to life.

Last edited:

Swampy

Crack the Skye

Goddammit, lol.

Energy as far as we know it cannot be erased. Therefore, I believe in afterlife. I've seen too many tragic deaths to not at least hope for one.

I think it could also be like being in perminent accoma..... Just a thought though.
In comatose the brain is still active and many times people in it can hear you. So no, it's not like a permanent a coma.

Last edited:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I believe I actually stated in my very first post in this thread that I do find it terrifying. I am extremely, extremely afraid of dying. In comprehensible non-existence? That's scary as hell. But that doesn't mean I can force myself to believe in an alternative because it's convenient or comforting. It means I have to accept that my one shot at experiencing anything is through life, and also accept that my lasting impression will be how I'm remembered by others. That provides a pretty natural system of moral checks and balances too.

I can't, either. But after studying things like NDEs and ghosts and all that, I came to the conclusion that there must be something else. I had a terrible time with it, because I'm very familiar with the other side of the argument, and I have more trouble believing what I want to than anything else. I kept feeling like I was trying to fool myself. So I went around and around in my head looking for alternate explanations, but I finally came to the realization that some things are just impossible in a completely physical universe. I mean, there are explanations (and I do make myself familiar with them), but they're so limited. They only cover parts of the various phenomena, and don't even mention the parts that they can't deal with.

i saw a program about that on discovery channel once, it's imagination combined with a shortage of air in the brains, see when a person dies his brains shows some little activity after the last breath for a short period of time which will be the last part of the body that will stop functioning. the brains will suffer from a shortage of air soon and since they still work a little that person starts to hallucinate for a short moment.

normaly you die and take that one lifetime experience to your grave but when revived fast you will remember this, it's like a dream, you see things based on events you saw in your life that are long gone or things that you like to see.

i can't blame the people for actualy believing things like this though it can be very realistic and emotional. an old pal i knew nearly drowned once and saw his passed away mother reaching out for him, the next thing he knew was that he woke up on a brancard with lots of people around him. eversince he was convinced that moms gave him the will to life.

But the thing is, it's not imagination. People have been able to recount things that happened in the operating room and other rooms accurately. Corroborated by doctors. They've been able to describe surgical techniques and other things in highly accurate detail. Some say that they're just hearing what's going on in the operating room, but that never made any sense to me. I mean, it's not as if doctors describe what they're doing as they're doing it. They give simple instructions and such, but nothing that would give a patient that kind of information. And the part about seeing things going on in other rooms is totally inexplicable. And some patients have even been able to tell what doctors were thinking at the time. I remember one guy who told his doctor not to worry about a fender-bender he'd gotten to earlier that day, because the other person wasn't going to do anything about it.

Also, NDE patients are often aware of other peoples' deaths because they saw them on the other side. Something else I think is less convincing but still compelling is the way they sometimes come back with knowledge they didn't have before. The most famous case is a guy who got the name "Max Plank" and the word "quantum" in his head. He didn't know what either of those things were, so he went to the library and asked about "quantum". Of course, he was talking about quantum physics, and the first book he found was by Max Plank. Not only that, he understood it, even though he didn't know how he did. He had only a high school education, I think. He got more words in his head like that later, and they turned out to be the titles of the next books he encountered. The interesting thing about this is the fact how involved quantum physics are in consciousness studies.

If you want to learn more about this, there are plenty of books on the subject. I think the best is one of the earliest, called Recollections of Death. It's by a cardiologist named Dr. Mark Sabom. He didn't believe in it at first, but he wanted to study the phenomenon, anyway, see what kind of patients had them, that sort of thing. There's a lot of good information in that one. It's kind of hard to find, though, since it's out of publication, but... It's just important to really look at these things closely before you write them off.

And here's what I had to say on the paranormal thread about ghosts, just for good measure:
I mean, take ghosts. You can definitely explain some things- some people are just hallucinating, some things are caused by physical events that the observer isn't aware of. But what about when many people give descriptions of ghosts that match independently of one another? What about when those descriptions match the appearances of people who have lived and died at that place? Some say that people leave behind impressions of themselves, but that doesn't make any sense. Not in a material reality. Electricity in the brain is confined within the brain, and wouldn't take on the shape of that person even if it could escape. It would just be random energy, and it wouldn't last for years and years. No matter how you look at it, even if ghosts aren't really the souls of the dead, there has to be some sort of consciousness apart from the brain for this to happen.

I've also read interesting accounts of people interacting with ghosts. One particularly interesting case I read was about a woman who's husband died. The touch lights in her home started going on and off, so she called over the author of the book (called The Case for Ghosts) to take a look at it. He had a bunch of equipment and did everything he could think of to make the lights come on from a distance, but nothing worked. Soon after, the woman told the ghost to stop bothering her and go bother his sister for a while, and it immediately stopped and her place and started at her sister-in-law's. Oh, and there was also a good story in my family. My great uncle saw his dead sister-in-law standing in the doorway one morning at breakfast. He mentioned it to his wife, but she didn't see anything. A little while later, she went upstairs and dropped dead. Normally, you might be able to say that it was a hallucination caused by grief over his wife's imminent death, but since it was so sudden, that doesn't work.

Well, that's just anecdotal evidence, but I hate when people excuse cases because of that. It happened, and you can't explain it with a material world view. At least, not without saying that it was an astronomically unlikely coincidence. There's no getting around that. Just because we can't explain something doesn't mean it's impossible. All discoveries begin with anecdotal evidence; we observe something, so we look into it more and try to understand it. Science would be nowhere without anecdotal evidence. The paranormal isn't illogical at all. We don't have proof, but then we know so little about the world. There could be a whole different level of existence that we don't even grasp yet. What's illogical is to ignore evidence and say it's impossible just because it doesn't fit your world view.

So that's what I have to say about ghosts. Either there's some impossibly elaborate conspiracy going on, or there's more to the world than a lot of people think. There's a whole lot of other stuff- NDEs, ESP, distant viewing... but you really don't even want to get me started on that.

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
After you die...your decay into nothing.

The "light" people who nearly die see is just the light you see when your brain shuts off.
Pretty much this.

But the good news is that science is advancing quickly enough that many young people today will eventually have access to treatments that stop aging and death from natural causes and stuff like cancer.

Always look on the bright side :)
Eh, not so much this. We're still a looooong way away from ever reaching those points. We still haven't even hit the Jetsons with flying cars or having robots do all our work. Sure, medicine has advanced a long way, but there's still a lot that has yet to be accomplished. Still no actual cures for Cancer or HIV/AIDS and what not. We've found ways to slow down physical appearance of aging, but not actual aging.

Scrible

you know to be really honest with you i dislike it so much when prophets start make stuff like this up and spread the word about it.
i mean... levels of heaven, besides it just being unfair it's gibberish made up by people who don't know it either.

this might sound a little offending at first sight but the blind follow the stupid, we don't know what's going to happen and science proved so many times before that religions were wrong in their unsupported theories and it's not like there's coming an end to it anytime soon.

i tell you one day our era will be a funny subject in historyclass.

edit:
and human psychologics.

It's okay, I'm happy with what I follow and I couldn't give a rats *** if anyone else doesn't like it.

As far as I see it, we all have a life. With that, we all may live it as we please. If I "waste" it, why should it bother you?

Like you but in the opposite light, I see people who spend their lives out of religion as wasting it. Same ****, different story.