• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aftermath

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
And still...no one has reviewed my last two chapters. Oh, well. I'll keep posting new chapters anyway.

Chapter 9:
Strength

My mentor taught me many things regarding my powers...

But I came to learn that life's lessons are truly presented through the relationships one has with other people.

I pray that she learns from this...

Or my mission has failed.

------------

Scarlet's dark brown eyes locked with Damian's dark ones. His eyes were nearly black as night, and she shivered. Were his eyes always this dark? Something had changed in him...Was that why he annoyed her so? A flicker of impatience flashed in the shadows of his face and she knew she had better get started.

"It's time for me to show you our real power. You may have battle him before, but I assure you, we have some new tricks up our sleeves," Scarlet said, tossing Ampharos's Poke Ball into the air. The electric-type appeared, took one look at who he was to battle against, and got into a fighting stance.

Damian smirked. "I doubt you two have come up with anything new or useful."

Scarlet ignored his arrogant comment and motioned for him to release his Pokemon. With a flourish, Damian spun a Poke Ball into the air, releasing an Alakazam. The powerful psychic-type stared calmly ahead, not reacting from Ampharos's fighting stance. Scarlet gritted her teeth. Alakazam was Damian's strongest Pokemon. This battle would take some strategy and focus to pull off a win. Instantly, Scarlet decided to attack Alakazam's weak defense.

"Ampharos, Fire Punch!" The electric-type sped off toward his opponent, flames circling his front paws. Something flickered in Alakazam's eye, and Scarlet knew that she would have to order Ampharos back. "Spin, Ampharos!" Scarlet cried as Alakazam completely disappeared. Flames engulfed the field as Ampharos created his own improvised Fire Spin. Alakazam had no time to react and was bombarded by waves of fire.

"Alakazam, Psyblade!" Damian commanded, unfazed by Scarlet's prediction. Alakazam swung his arm at rapid speed and a blade of psychic energy slammed into the ground inches from where Ampharos stood. The shock was pushed Ampharos back a few feet, but didn't hurt him much at all. Before Scarlet could even think of her next move, another blast of energy scored a direct hit on Ampharos, this time sending him flying. He thudded to the ground, but picked himself up in time to dodge a third Psyblade.

“Ampharos, Ice Punch!” Scarlet said, choosing to stick with physical attacks. She watched as Damian smirked and Alakazam disappeared once again. It was a big mistake on his part. “Now, Ampharos, Thunder!” She shouted. Two attacks collided in mid-air, exploding and sending up a wall of smoke. Ampharos quickly spotted Alakazam’s outline in the cloud. An Ice Punch slammed into Alakazam so powerfully, it froze the psychic-type completely. Damian’s eyes clouded over as victory slipped from his hands. In his mind, he believed he should have seem what Scarlet was doing. Oh well, she thought, he’ll get over it.

“Good job Scarlet and Ampharos!” Gardenia shouted, jumping to her feet and clapping as Damian recalled his Alakazam. Without speaking to anyone, he walked away, making a path for the Center. Gardenia crossed her arms and glared after him. “He’s a sore loser,” she muttered.

Scarlet congratulated Ampharos and returned him to his Poke Ball. “He’s always been like this,” Scarlet told Gardenia.

“Well, when he stops his silent hissy fit, we’re heading out to Hoenn,” Mars said, glaring in the direction Damian had gone in. Scarlet suddenly felt embarrassed that Damian was acting like that in front of Mars and Rowan. What was his problem? If he was going to help them, he needed to shrug off his arrogant attitude.

------------

“How many times are we going to have to travel on a boat?” Gardenia moaned as the ferry shuttled the team back to Ever Grande.

“As many times as it takes to discover what’s going on,” Mars replied.

Scarlet nodded, looking over the rail and into the water. Something flashed before her eyes and she squeezed them shut. When she opened them, she was no longer on the ferry. Tall walls stretched up around her and chandeliers hung down over what seemed to be a ballroom packed with dancers. She picked Kris out easily, marveling at how pretty she looked in her snow white dress. Ash pushed past Scarlet, hurrying off somewhere. Kris stood in the middle of the ballroom, alone, until a young man approached her. Tall, with black hair and eyes, he looked a bit uncomfortable in the dancing hall. He shifted from foot to foot until finally he caught Kris’s attention. She blinked at him until a spark of recognition flashed through her eyes.

“Ah, Kirio Karasuma, is it?” She asked, smiling. “I enjoyed our match very much.”

He smiled weakly back at her. “I did, too. Is your date here?” Scarlet watched as Kris blushed a crimson red and searched the room with her eyes.

“N...No...I came with one of my friends. He’s not my date.”

“Then, would you care to dance?” Kirio asked, holding up his hand for her to take. She slid her hand into his and nodded. Scarlet watched the scene unfold before her until she was caught up in the music. It was classical, but with a nice modern twist. She spotted the band nearby and closed her eyes, listening to the violins sound out an array of beautiful music. She was brought back to reality by the conversation going on between Kris and Kirio.

“It must be lonely being the only StarClan member left,” Kirio said. Something about the way he said it struck Scarlet as odd. It also struck her as odd that he would start the conversation by mentioning her dead family. A flicker of sadness flashed across Kris’s eyes, but disappeared in a second. She smiled weakly.

“Actually...I’m not that lonely. I have a wonderful group of friends and my mentor is my adoptive father.” As she said this, Scarlet scanned the room. Where was her mentor? Who was he?

“You’ve got the weight of the world on your shoulders,” Kirio said.

“True, but following my dreams keeps me focused and helps me to stay strong.”

Kris’s statement hit home for Scarlet. Her losses had greatly weakened her strength to deal with the world. Always, she wondered if her dream should be put aside while she faced her losses. Kris had lost so much, yet she continued toward the same goal Scarlet had.

And she had achieved it.

Scarlet could feel herself being pulled back. Wait...what was so important about the vision? She tried to push forward and stay in the past, but the future’s pull was too strong. Kris and Kirio faded into the distance as the ocean came back into focus.

<<<<<< >>>>>>

Scarlet yawned. The ferry trip was taking much too long for her taste. She thought it would last less than a few hours, but it was 6:40 in the evening and they were only halfway in between Ever Grande and Hoenn. She had released Ampharos and Golduck to that the two Pokemon could get some fresh air and stretch. Gardenia was fast asleep on a bench nearby with her Turtwig curled up in her stomach. Rowan was flipping through a research book, outlining some lecture he had to give soon. Mars stood, leaning over the rail, deep in thought. Scarlet wondered who Mars really was. Where did she come from? What was her dream? But all Scarlet could do was stare out into the ocean, admiring the sunset. Her thoughts were on everything but Damian, who was training with his Alakazam on the deck nearby, drawing a crowd of spectators to watch the Pokemon demonstrate his powers.

“Scarlet? Is there something you want to talk about?” Mars’s voice jolted Scarlet out of her thoughts and brought her attention to the fact that she had been staring at the pretty redhead for quite some time. Embarrassed, she tried to think of something to say. This was her opportunity to learn something about her traveling companion.

“I was just thinking about the fact that I don’t know much about you, like where you’re from and stuff.”

Mars blinked. “Well, I’m from Sinnoh.”

“What part?”

“Southern part, near Canalave.”

Before Scarlet could ask her another question, the ferry slid into the port in New Bark Town. Scarlet and her companions disembarked and headed for the laboratory on the north side of town. Mars knocked on the front door and a man with aqua green hair and glasses opened it.

“Oh, Professor Rowan, nice to see you in the Hoenn region. What brings you here?”

“Research, Joshua, always research.”

“I’m sorry, but Professor Birch is out conducting field research right now.”

Scarlet could hear the roar of a car in the distance. She barely scrambled out of the path of and olive green truck which barreled along and stopped on the road right before the laboratory. She shook all over from the near hit and glared warily at the jeep.

“Professor!” A heavyset man with brown hair and a beard sat in the driver’s side of the jeep. “Doing some research here in Hoenn?”

Rowan nodded. “Yes, I am. I’m heading to Mt. Chimney.”

“You’re researching the power of the land?”

“Among other things.”

“Well, good luck in your studies.” He glanced at his watch. “I have to get going. Enjoy your visit!” With that, he roared off. Mars turned to Rowan.
“Let’s get going. We need to get to Mt. Chimney as soon as possible.”

He nodded and the group said good-bye to Joshua, setting off for Oldsdale Town.

------------

They arrived in Mauville the next day. Taking a break from traveling, the group stayed at the Center for a few hours. Scarlet was talking with Gardenia when she spotted someone familiar at the counter.

“Volkner?” She asked, causing the young man to turn and look at her. He had spiky blonde hair, ice blue eyes, and wore a blue jacket and jeans. When he laid eyes on Scarlet, they dulled a bit and he nodded to her, brushing past and out the door. Scarlet sprang up to follow him out into the street. “Volkner, wait!” She cried out, positioning herself in front of him to make him stop. There was silence as their eyes met. “I...I’m sorry I left...” She whispered.

“You’re with him now, right? Why should you be sorry?”

“I...broke you...hurt you so much. I could understand if you never forgave me.”

Volkner closed his eyes and opened them again. "There's no need for us to talk. What is done is done." With that, he brushed past her, leaving her standing alone in the street.

------------

Ojinan and Tess stood in the darkening forest near Ever Grande. Everything was quiet. A shadow slipped silently along the ground and a Luxray appeared. Tess looked at him, communicating silently, then turned to Ojinan. "They're in Hoenn, preparing to climb Mt. Chimney."

Ojinan nodded. "The Chosen One had many memories from her encounters with the power of the land in Hoenn." He said this in a tone that suggested he was thinking about something else completely at the time. Tess knew he had to focus on getting their mission right. Otherwise, the demos would lose a lot of power in the mortal realm. She wondered if he felt nervous or apprehensive, then chided herself for thinking of her mentor having such weak mortal emotions. She had a lot to learn as a demon, but if she helped pull this mission off, she would not only learn much, but would become one of the most powerful demons in the underworld.

------------

They're about to make their move...

I can feel it.
------------

Climbing Mt. Chimney was not a difficult task at all. Unlike other mountains in Aquapolis, it had its own cable car that took sightseers to the top. Scarlet knew she wouldn’t have made it up of they had had to actually climb the mountain. Her thoughts were caught up on her encounter with Volkner.

She and Volkner had met one time when she was on vacation in Sunnyshore. She had not known that he was the gym leader and he never mentioned it once. She loved his sense of humor and his goofy disposition, traits of a Volkner that no longer lived. They had traded numbers and she had found out later from Lucas that Volkner was a gym leader. She pushed the fact to the back of her mind and focused on the fact that she had felt an instant connection to him. She thought at first it was because they were both electric-types, but she soon realized that it was something more. Volkner didn’t know about her struggles with her mom. He didn’t know how hard it was for her as she struggled toward her goal. He just cared about her as a person, and Scarlet liked him for that reason. Soon enough, they were together, a couple, for a while. Those had been the best days of Scarlet’s life.

Then, after her loss to Damian in the Hoenn Conference, she had arrived home to a disapproving mother, who threatened her with cut ties if she even thought about getting back into the training business. Scarlet loved her Pokemon and she loved to train, but she also loved her mother. Instead of giving her training up, she walked out on Volkner.

The trip up the mountain was short. The group disembarked and made their way through the ridges until they came to a large steel door in the side of the mountain. Mars pushed it open and they walked into the volcano’s depths. They arrived at a large crater of magma after a few minutes of walking. A tall man with gray hair stood before it, his back turned to the others. He wore a black shirt and black pants and boots.

“Harland, you know that Groudon won’t appear in that pool if you stare long enough,” Mars addressed him. He turned around quickly, apparently surprised someone had found him so deep in the volcano.

“I was wondering when you would get here,” he replied. “So, who is the one having visions?”

Mars motioned to Scarlet. “This is Scarlet.”

“Anything special about her?”

“She...Kris chose her. Why would you argue with that?”

He shrugged. “So, what do you want me to do?”

“Show her around the base and give her some basics about the team.”

He nodded and motioned for Scarlet to follow him. He led her through another door and into the actual base and down a hallway into an office. As they walked, he said, “I was one of the top commanders in Team Magma before the war. The Chosen One caused too much trouble than she was worth in most of the bases I was in control over. She was powerful and our leader became one of her worst enemies.” They stepped into an office. It was spacious and dark with shelves of books lining the walls and a desk sitting by a window which overlooked a waterfall of lava. “This was his office. You can look around and see if anything triggers a memory.”

Harland watched as Scarlet wandered around the room, paying close attention to the books on the shelves. They were all about legendaries, especially the Hoenn legendaries. Most of the books were about the power of the land, Groudon. Many others were about the Chosen One. What kind of person had the leader been? It seemed as if he was obsessed with Groudon and Kris. Then, another question crossed her mind. Where was he? Wouldn’t it be better to go to the leader himself to find information?

The titles started to swarm before her eyes. Looks like they wouldn’t have to find the leader after all.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

It was sweltering hot in the passageway. It had been a bit stuffy in the volcano, but the hallway Scarlet now stood in was even more humid and caused her to break into a sweat within seconds. The floor shifted a bit under her feet, then rocked back into place. She was on a boat.

She heard footsteps and suddenly Kris brushed past her, dressed in a Magma uniform. She raced down the corridor after Kris, struggling to keep up. Kris burst through too silver doors marked with a large “M” in black and red. The doors nearly swung and hit Scarlet as she slipped in after Kris. She found herself in an office similar to the one she had been in before she had entered the vision, except this time, she could she a calm ocean right outside the window. One the desk sat an orb made of...glass...no, Aquapolian crystal. Its dark blue surface swirled with energy as Kris reached to pick it up. Something caused the back of Scarlet’s neck to prickle. She had a feeling Kris need to get out of there before someone found her.

Right on cue, the doors swung open and the man from the vision of fire appeared, his black eyes resting on the intruder in the room. Kris froze, her Aquapolian crystal eyes shining first with surprise, then with defiance, daring him to do something about her intrusion.

“Looking for something?” He asked, crossing his arms. A slightly amused expression flashed across his face. Kris gripped the orb tighter.

“Just the exit,” she murmured. The scene faded from view.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

“Kid? Hey, kid?”

Harland’s face came into view. He was waving his hand in front of her face. “You okay, kid?”

Scarlet brushed his hand out of her face in an annoyed fashion. “Yes, I am!” She snapped, her mind racing to recall the vision she had just witnessed. Harland stared at her blankly. He obviously was not used to people spacing out. Scarlet seized the chance to ask him what he knew about her vision.

“That was the first time they met,” Harland muttered after she described the vision in detail to him. “The Chosen One was trying to steal the Blue Orb and Maxie caught her in the process.”

The Blue Orb. Something about it sounded familiar to Scarlet. “What’s the Blue Orb?”

“It’s one of the six orbs of the six powers. It holds the power of the sea.”

“Wait...If it holds the power of the sea, then what were you doing with it?”

“We stumbled upon it by accident, and since Team Aqua was after it, we decided to keep it to trade with them for the Red Orb.”

“Which holds the power of the land.”

“Exactly.” Scarlet had heard of Team Aqua before as well.

Exactly what about Team Magma’s leader was Kris trying to tell Scarlet?

And we start in on a familiar subject to past readers....Kris and Maxie’s rivalry spanned years during Kris’s lifetime. You’ll see it progress as the story goes along...But just what are the demons planning? Hmmm.....

duncan

Sorry about falling behind.

The plot really has advanced quite a bit here. One thing, though, is that you might be moving just a little too quickly. Like here:

Before Scarlet could ask her another question, the ferry slid into the port in New Bark Town. Scarlet and her companions disembarked and headed for the laboratory on the north side of town. Mars knocked on the front door and a man with aqua green hair and glasses opened it.

As a rule of thumb, if you skip one paragraph you should never be totally in a different situation. Sounds a bit odd, but imagine you skip over this. Instead of Scarlet talking to Mars, they're all off the ferry, walked all across town and are talking to someone new. See what I mean?

Following on this, you really skipped around a lot in this chapter. Mind you nothing technically is wrong with this, but they basically trekked all across Hoenn in just a few paragraphs. Just slow it down, describe the journey more as opposed to just telling us they went on to this city or that city.

Scarlet nodded, looking over the rail and into the water. Something flashed before her eyes and she squeezed them shut. When she opened them, she was no longer on the ferry. Tall walls stretched up around her and chandeliers hung down over what seemed to be a ballroom packed with dancers. She picked Kris out easily, marveling at how pretty she looked in her snow white dress.

This confused me a bit. I appreciate the style you were trying for, but it felt a bit vague and confusing. In the future, it would probably be a good idea to define the transitions a little better.

On a slightly better note, you're right I liked how you touched on some of the old plot about Kris and Maxie's rivalry. Brings back all kinds of old memories.

Don't get me wrong, not a bad chapter at all. Just...don't have them cover so much ground so quickly, okay? XD

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Yay!!! duncan reviewed!!! *spins around*

Oh, yes. I did majorly skip around a lot in this chapter. You know how I love speeding up plots. Basically, it's because I've been trying to get these chapters writted on precious little time, which makes me speed up more than I should. Luckily, things at school are slowing down because of Homecoming, so the next chapter should be a little more fleshed out in terms of description and such. As for transitions, I'll try to make them clearer. It's hard to make a whole bunch of transitions from reality to visions when you're writing something with a lot of visions in it, but I'll definantly work on that this chapter. And, oh yes, Maxie is back...but for only a short time.

Next chapter up sometime in the next two weeks. I'm going slow on this one and it will probably be longer than the previous ones.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Whew! Things have been really busy on my end for the past few weeks. Last week was our Homecoming and this week was Red Ribbon Week and Halloween, so I've been super busy with school stuff for a while. Luckily, things have slowed down a bit and I'll be able to take a breather for a while. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 10
Past​

"That is so not true!"

Gardenia's voice rang throughout the chamber. The scene Scarlet and Harland walked into contained Gardenia glaring angrily at Damian, who had his arms crossed in an arrogant stance.

"What's going on?" Scarlet asked.

Gardenia spun around. "He is insinuating that all grass-types are weak!" She said, pointing to Damian.

"I said no such thing."

Scarlet sighed. "Damian, you have a Torterra..."

"Torterra are different."

"Then why did you say something about my Turtwig?"

"Because it has a lot of potential and you're wasting it by keeping it unevolved!" He shouted back.

"Okay! That's enough!" Mars stepped forward to push the two kids out of each other's face. She looked up at Scarlet. "Find anything?"

Scarlet nodded. "I had a vision of the first time Kris and the Team Magma leader met."

"That's progress!" Mars said, perking up.

"Does this mean we have to stay here until she has more visions about Team Magma?" Gardenia asked.

"Not exactly. I was thinking that we could travel farther east, toward the Hoenn Sea."

"Yes! The ocean!"

“And you were the one complaining about riding on boats,” Damian muttered.

Gardenia glared at him. Scarlet and Harland looked on, Scarlet processing her last vision in her mind.

------------​

The group arrived the next day in Lilycove and Harland rented a boat for them to take to Mossdeep. Scarlet closed her eyes and let the sea air roll across her face. Minutes passed before another vision came.

<<<<<<>>>>>>​

Kris stood on the deck of a rolling ship, surrounded by Ash, a girl with brown hair, and two guys: one with spiky brown hair and the other, younger, with dark blue hair. The older members of the group wore Magma uniforms identical to those worn by the agents around them. Scarlet spotted Harland, dressed in an admin’s uniform, standing beside another admin, a woman with long purple hair. They both stood behind their leader, whose eyes were trained on Kris.

“Hand over the disk.”

Kris smirked and reached into her pocket, pulling out a small silver disk. “You mean this one?” As she asked it, she signaled to the others, who immediately started to back away from her an to the ship’s edge.

“Yes. Now hand it over.”

Kris smirked again. “I don’t think so.” With that, she dropped the disk and crunched it under her foot. Seconds later, a blast of fire flew toward her, which she expertly dodged.

Suddenly, the boat started to swing to one side, causing everyone on deck to scramble for a better grip on its surface. “What’s going on?” Kris called out to the blue haired boy.

“Well...I think I damaged something in the guidance system last time I was in the control room.”

“You all go now!” She yelled back. All three nodded and swung off of the deck and into the ocean, escaping several agents.

“Off the boat!” Their leader ordered Harland and the other commander.

“But, sir...” Harland protested.

“Off!”

Harland and the other commander nodded and raced off with the agents following after them. Kris and he glared at each other for a while.

“You have the Red Orb as well, don’t you?”

“No...” Kris trailed off. Something flashed in the corner of Scarlet’s eye. A flash of red light. Kris smiled sheepishly and pulled the Red Orb out of her pocket. “Okay, maybe...” She took a step back and he took a step forward. Another fire blast flew toward her. The ship started to shift even more into the ocean, causing Kris to slip a bit on its surface until she had planted herself firmly on the deck. She and her adversary locked eyes and Scarlet could feel the tension slice through the air. A serious fight was about to ensue; Scarlet could feel it. Kris’s muscles tensed, her lean and muscular body preparing to propel her at her opponent. Light flickered through her eyes, revealing the power and danger that lay inside her mind and body. The Magma leader stood in the same calm and cool pose. If it had been Scarlet in his position, she would have turned tail and run. It was a losing battle for her...but was he powerful enough to face the Chosen One?

“I’ve waited too long to drive you away from our operations. It seems no matter what I do, you continue to involve yourself in our missions. The warnings have ended. This was your last chance.”

Kris’s eyes narrowed in a defiant gaze. This man was just a mere mortal to her, Scarlet realized. He struck no fear in her heart, no matter how powerful he was. She had become overconfident in her ability over the years. And he knew it. Scarlet could feel the energy he held as well. He was no ordinary fire-type.

Kris’s eyes blazed and her muscles tensed as she disappeared into thin air. The leader stood still, his eyes sweeping across the field, trying to judge where she would reappear. She reappeared split seconds later, aiming a blast of energy at him. He dodged and a Fire Blast slammed in her causing her to slam into the side of the deck. She leapt to her feet, but before she could make another move, the deck started to tilt farther into the ocean. A Fire Blast scraped past her shoulder, causing her to wince in pain. The ship was starting to sink more rapidly. Kris jumped into the air, levitating for a few seconds, then speeding off away from the boat with Scarlet in tow. Another Fire Blast flew past them and Scarlet turned to see the leader resting on a large red and blue beast. The Salamence roared, lashing out with another Fire Blast that scorched the sleeves of Kris’s uniform and left a burn mark trailing down her arm. It started to heal before Scarlet’s eyes as the burned flesh regenerated into healthy skin cells once again. Kris glanced back at her pursuer and her eyes flashed. The flash of eyes always signaled teleportation. Scarlet now realized that this was a trait that many psychic-types shared. Kris dissolved into thin air and the ocean and fire-type disappeared. Scarlet got one more look at him before she was sucked back into Kris’s own memory. His eyes were black.

Like Damian’s.

<<<<<<>>>>>>​

His name...what was his name? Oh...that’s right...Harland called him Maxie.

Once Scarlet’s head was clear of the vision, she started to think straight about certain details, such as the Magma leader’s name. This was filed away along with his Salamence, fire powers, and his wanting to obtain the disk and the Red Orb. What was on the disk? Scarlet thought hard. She had been standing near Kris when she took it out of her pocket. What had it said...?

Shadow Research Information.

Shadow Research Information? Why would Maxie want that? And what kind of Shadow stuff is it about?​

“Hey, Scarlet, what are you doing?”

Scarlet snapped around, annoyed at the sound of Damian’s voice. “I’m thinking,” she shot back.

“Don’t you think you should be doing something a little more productive?”

“Damian, this mission is about the visions Kris is giving me, not about training for some conference.”

“Has she given you another vision yet?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, she just gave me one a few minutes ago.”

“Better tell Mars then,” he said, turning away to sit down on the opposite side of the deck.

“You aren’t going to help me brainstorm?”

“What would be the point? I don’t know anything about your vision or her...” Damian’s eyes shifted light from an annoyed look to an interested look. “On the other hand...what would it hurt to tackle this puzzle right her and now?”

Scarlet was so emotionally worn out by his roller coaster attitude, she didn’t even try to make sense of his shift in thought. She smiled and started to describe her vision to him. He stepped closer, fully intent on what she was saying. Her heart leapt as she saw a bit of the old Damian flash in his eyes. Something from her past was returning. She couldn’t help but notice the lavender scent of the soap he used. She had teased him about it constantly in the past, but she now clung to his scent, finding comfort in its familiarity as she repeated the dream to him. When she was finished, she stopped to observe the clicking of wheels in his brain and the sparkle in his eyes at the prospect of solving this new challenge.

“There’s more to the vision,” he concluded.

“How do you know that?”

“There has to be more. You can tell Maxie had had it with Kris’s interference. He was intent on stopping her, so there was no way he was going to stop chasing her.”

“But she teleported. There’s no way...”

“If they had truly been that strong of enemies for quite some time, I’m sure he would have learned her moves, actions, and habits. No doubt he knew where she had flown after she disappeared.”

“So...there’s more to it.” Scarlet was silent for a while as she thought through her past visions. Only a few of them had taken place when Kris was visibly happy and enjoying herself. The others had occurred during times of great strife, mainly to do with Maxie. Kris had to be telling her about him. Now all she needed to do was find out about him.

Scarlet’s hands curled tightly into fists as she grew frustrated about Mars and Rowan’s promise to not disclose anything. They could know exactly what Kris was telling her and Scarlet would never find out. Of course, if they had figure it out, they would have told her by then. Still, she was sick and tired of it. She glanced over to where Mars was sitting by Gardenia, talking and laughing.

“What do you know about him?”

Mars’s head shot up and Scarlet knew that the redhead immediately understood whom she was talking about. Still, she asked, “About whom?”

“About Maxie.”

Mars’s eyes narrowed. “Scarlet, you know...”

“She’s telling me something about him!” She shrieked. “I want to know what you know about him!”

------------

No...

I’m trying to lead you somewhere else.

Can’t I just tell her one word?

One sentence?

Or does that defy the rules of this game?

...Sinnoh...

It lies in Sinnoh...

------------​

A terrible burning pain shot through Scarlet’s chest. She cried out and backed up, clutching her chest and struggling to breath. Mars and Gardenia leaned forward in worry.

“Scarlet? What’s wrong?” Mars asked.

No...

....Sinnoh...

It lies in Sinnoh.

The burning pain faded away and Scarlet fell to her knees, panting. Damian knelt over her, his hand on her back. “Scarlet, are you okay?”

“We...need...to...get to Sinnoh...” She whispered. Everyone silently studied her for a while until Mars turned to Harland.

“You heard her. We need to get to Sinnoh.”

“Fine,” he replied, shifting their course to the north. Scarlet stared at the deck of the boat, trying to process what had just happened.

------------

I can sense someone...

Aaron...Is that you?

Yes...

F...Free me...!

I can not.

Can not...or will not?

...I can not physically reach you...

Aaron...I’m so sorry...

I gave my life for you...was that not enough?

It was....

He will die a painful death.

Do not wish that on him!

...I see...

Aaron, please don’t go...

Aaron...?

Why...?

------------​

“They’re on the move...” Tess muttered. She and her mentor stood atop Mt. Chimney, surveying the Hoenn landscape. Ojinan turned to her and nodded.

“It’s almost time. We must get to the Cave of Origin.”

------------​

Rowan unlocked the door and stepped into his laboratory, Scarlet and the others following behind. He glanced around the lab and turned back to Scarlet. “Now, where do we go from here?”

“She told me to come to Sinnoh...I don’t know anything beyond that.”

“Some of the turning points in her life took place here during the Great War,” Mars said.

“Perhaps we should visit the Canalave library? We may be able to discover some things about what has happened to the legendaries in the process.

Mars nodded, but before she could open her mouth, the door to the laboratory swung open to reveal a man with blue hair and eyes wearing a silver shirt, pants, and boots. “There you are!” He said when he spotted Mars.

“Saturn?” She gasped.

“I’ve been looking over all of the Ever Grande area and the Sinnoh region for you. Where have you been?”

“In Hoenn.”

“Of course, the one region I don’t check.”

“What’s wrong?”

“The demons.”

“What?” Rowan asked.

“The demons...they’re planning something.”

“Well, we all know that,” Mars said.

“They’re about to execute their plan soon.”

“How do you know?”

“I overheard two talking while I was at Coronet. They’re planning something surrounding the Chosen One and the six powers.”

“Then there’s not time to lose!” Mars said. “We need to split up. One group needs to head to Canalave and the other needs to head to Eterna.”

“Why Eterna?” Scarlet asked.

“I have a feeling we’ll find out some useful things there. David, Harland, Damian, Gardenia. You will go to Canalave. Saturn, Scarlet, and I will go to Eterna.” Everyone nodded.

“Let’s go!” Scarlet exclaimed in an excited manner. On the inside, though, she was fearful of what lay ahead. They had no idea what the demons were up to or what Kris was trying to tell her. They hadn’t seen the demons since their meeting at Lake Verity. Once again, Lucas’s death flashed across Scarlet’s memory.

If a demon could kill Lucas in such a way as he did, what else was the demon race capable of?

Okay...okay...I said I wouldn’t rush through with some plot details in this chapter, but some of my favorite details of Kris’s life and this story are coming up and I am super excited about them. Chapter eleven should be up sometime in the next few weeks. Happy Halloween to all!

Oh, and just a note, if you haven’t seen The Charge of Team Galactic Parts One and Two, I suggest you look them up on Youtube. They might help farther on in the story.

SUPERSAIYANALEX

KEEPER OF TORAH
hey thats awesomei enjoyed it.i want to ask you if aftermath can be linked to jiraball.thats my comics title and that is how it will truely be written,i will start drawling anytime if you want.there is a massive war in my book and it takes place everywhere,there are also aliens like the dinyuman,saiyans,namekians,space pirates,chozo,metroids,phazon,teragills,hunters and many others.there are demons,machine mutants,robot like people.the jiraballs came to be so who ever collects them can summon jirachi for all but evil desireing wishes.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
You're allowed to have Scarlet and Kris in the story, but not anything else. Please contact me when you use my characters, though, because I would like to have a say in their designs and such. Also, please share your thoughts on my fic as well. I would like a real review about what parts you liked and what parts you thought could be better. Thank you for reading.

SUPERSAIYANALEX

KEEPER OF TORAH
well of course,they are your characters after all.are they a part of thier own army or are they just apart of the force?pm thier info asap.otherwise i wont be able to do so.oh.it would be nice if there were more troubles like a new team,oh hey i got a brilliant idea:Di will pm this idea in 2 sec

Last edited:

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Sorry this chapter is so late. I've had a lot of things going on in the past few weeks. It's a turning point in the story, so I hope you like it!

Chapter 11:
Darkness

The cawing of Murkrow caused him to jump back, his heart pounding wildly in his chest. As he fought to slow his heart rate down, he mentally kicked himself for being so jumpy. He needed his senses to be sharp and keen, for who knew when the demons would choose this time to attack, or worse, implement their plans for this realm.

He stopped short, pausing for a few heartbeats to survey the terrain around him. He had traveled in this forest once before, months before it had turned into a swampy marshland. This region held so many memories for him...for them. He had met her at one point near this forest...This place did not cause as much pain in his heart as the northern part of the region did. Would he ever be able to face the northern mountains again?

The wind shifted directions and he turned with it, his dark eyes flashing across the trees. It seemed as if the time had come. He had to find the girl...and fast. He turned swiftly around, his mind set on the town east of the woods. Of course Mars would bring her there. The town was the start of so many hardships...and memories.

A twig crunched ahead of him and he stopped short, his muscles tensed as he searched the landscape. He could sense something or someone ahead. No Shadow energy surrounded it. Was it a lone traveler journeying through the treacherous forest? He wasn't one for being noisy when confronting an unknown person or thing. He usually struck swift and sure with a well aimed slice of dark energy. Still, what would it hurt to discover exactly who was traveling in the darkness.

"Who's there?" He called out, his voice echoing and startling some Murkrow in the trees above him. Whoever it was did not answer. Another twig crunched. It was advancing toward him. He was not going to take his chances. A blade of dark energy echoed into the shadows in front of him, connecting with a wall of energy and exploding, pushing thick grey smoke into the atmosphere. When it cleared, he found himself face-to-face with a figure of his age and height. Light blonde hair stuck up in spikes from a head that showed a face of misery. One that reflected his own. The only difference between the two faces was that the stranger's held two penetrating ice blue eyes. The eyes narrowed as they realized whom they were looking at.

"Kirio Karasuma...figures you would be lurking around in a dark forest as this," he said, raising an eyebrow in mocking disdain. "I trust that you are keeping on your toes during your little spying mission?"

"You're one to talk. You've been following her as well...haven't you?" Kirio retorted. The young man frowned. Kirio could see that he would have to convince his companion to see that they were on the same side. "No matter what you may think of me, you must realize that the demons are planning the destruction of this realm and I am not assisting them."

"How do you know of their plans if you're not assisting them? And why should I believe you?"

"Do not act as if you have never made a mistake in your life. You've made many, especially regarding Scarlet. You should believe me for her safety's sake."

The young man said nothing for a few minutes, just stared ahead as if he could not see Kirio. When he didn't answer after a while, Kirio started to make his way toward the edge of the forest. When he still didn't move, Kirio turned back and said, "You're not coming to Eterna with me?" His head shot up and Kirio saw resolution in his eyes. He would do anything for his love...as would Kirio.

He would even face the devil himself.

------------

The night was too cold for Scarlet's taste. She was used to the cold Sinnoh climate, but that night the air was unbearably cold. She pulled her furry jacket tighter across herself and started jumping up and down in an attempt to restore feeling to her toes. The jumping didn't help much, just caused Saturn to look at her with a strange expression on his face.

During the past few hours, she, Mars, and Saturn had made their way up to Floaroma Town, running and flying in sprints at times and walking briskly along at others. Saturn was quiet and determined, swiftly springing into the air with ninja-like speed and grace. Scarlet knew as much about him as she did about Mars. She only knew that they had known each other for a long time.

The beautiful town of Floaroma spread before them, her flowers gently swaying in the cool night breeze. Scarlet wondered why they had not frozen in the frigid air, then she spotted a few small fire Pokemon trotting through the fields, their body heat keeping the flowers alive. She wanted to stop and marvel at this innovative technique for a while, but her feet carried her on as she sped up for another sprint toward Eterna. The wind whistled in her ears and she threw her head back, enjoying the exhilaration and heightened sense of being she felt when she left the world behind.

------------

The legendary energy that once permeated the air in the passageway was gone. For the first time in thousands of years, Ojinan was able to step into the Cave of Origin without a barrier blocking his way or a legendary guarding the path. A few minutes into their trek through the temple, Ojinan and Tess arrived at the Hall of Origin.

Marble shone everywhere. The domed ceiling was covered in it, and the beautiful stone snaked its way down the walls and to the floor of the chamber. Three prominent marble statues stood around the marble altar that grabbed the attention of the demons. Ojinan was not taken to human emotions, but his heart seemed to soar as he ran a hand across the ancient indentions in the marble table. This was it. This was the key to his goal in conquering this realm. To tell the truth...

There were seven keys to his goal.

------------

Volkner hit his shoulder on the side of a tree once again, cursing as pain shot through his arm. Kirio could see in the pitch black darkness, but Volkner was limited to a small range of sight. He didn't have enough time to stop and create a ball of light energy to illuminate his way. His body was pushing him forward toward Eterna. And Scarlet.

He had never truly given up his feelings for her. He had been hurt greatly by her abandonment, but his love for her grew back even stronger as the pain grew deeper. Scarlet had blown into his life like a storm, all energy and excitement. When she had left, his life had remained in shambles, broken, torn down, and nearly destroyed in the wake of the storm that changed his life. But unlike other survivors of similar storms, his heart and mind wished for the destructive wind and rain to return.

He watched as Kirio silently flew through the forest. Was something pushing him on as well? Had he a motive to warn Scarlet of what lay ahead? Surely he had never loved. His heart and mind were only constructed for darkness and greed, the reasons he had joined the Shadow in the first place.

------------

Eterna was quiet. A twig snapped underneath Scarlet's foot, the sound resonating through the air. The fissure lay bare and ugly in the center of the city. A fissure of darkness that swallowed hope whole, Scarlet thought. She felt Mars place a hand on her shoulder.

"Gardenia told me that this was where you were when the war ended," Mars said, her eyes clouding over with sympathy. Scarlet looked away and shrugged her hand off. This was no time for sympathy. This was a time for action.

------------

Volkner doubled over and gasped for breath. Eterna lay before him. Kirio did not stop. This was not the time for resting. He flew forward, racing toward the spot where Scarlet stood. He could see her figure standing beside the statues of time, space, and dimension. Suddenly, he felt something pull him back and he fell to the ground, his body seizing up with agonizing pain. He could barely make out Scarlet falling to the marble steps that lay before the statues, her own body shaking and shuddering in agony.

He was too late.

------------

Land...

Sea...

Sky...

Time...

Space...

Dimension...

Darkness...

Awaken...

And defend this realm!

SUPERSAIYANALEX

KEEPER OF TORAH
i enjoyed it!

the plot was really great. but i think that different enemies like alien species,machine mutants,phazon and maybe a few more things like that would be perfect for the ways of how the darkness is almost killing the planet.demons in general should be the very last race they would have to face.shadow pokemon,corrupted pokemon[means that they have had contact with phazon,they can also make themselves stronger by how thier emotions are twisted this is called hyper mode.]and even pokemon clones with hearts of evil.
I have many versions of my character but i am not using all of them.If sooner i'll even write the chapter in a pm.

duncan

Again I fall behind. Sorry about that, but did I miss a couple of chapters or what? This last one in particular almost surprised me. Your writing got much, much better in just that one chapter. I don't know if it was just the plot or what, but I've got to tell you nicely done. You're going to make me obsolete. XD

"Who's there?" He called out, his voice echoing and startling some Murkrow in the trees above him. Whoever it was did not answer. Another twig crunched. It was advancing toward him. He was not going to take his chances. A blade of dark energy echoed into the shadows in front of him, connecting with a wall of energy and exploding, pushing thick grey smoke into the atmosphere. When it cleared, he found himself face-to-face with a figure of his age and height. Light blonde hair stuck up in spikes from a head that showed a face of misery. One that reflected his own. The only difference between the two faces was that the stranger's held two penetrating ice blue eyes. The eyes narrowed as they realized whom they were looking at.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Only a couple of chapters ago I wouldn't have believed you could write this well. Add in that the plot is taking off...I'm impressed.

For the first time in thousands of years, Ojinan was able to step into the Cave of Origin without a barrier blocking his way or a legendary guarding the path. A few minutes into their trek through the temple, Ojinan and Tess arrived at the Hall of Origin.

Just a quick note, putting Cave of Origin and Hall of Origin so close together is a bit confusing. :)

The chapter was a bit short, nothing too bad though. The last part was a bit rushed, with all of the short scenes, but again not a big deal at all. Honestly, I don't have a whole lot to critique here. You've done a nice job, keep this up for sure. I wish I could write as fast as you. XD

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
SUPERSAIYANALEX, please keep the bulk of your posts here on the subject of criticism and talk about my writing. We're already discussing your writing in PM. I would love it if you commented on specific things in my chapters. I'm glad you like it, all the same. :)

duncan, I don't know why, but I feel like I just put as much thought as I could in it. This was a turning point chapter and I hope I will be able to produce even better ones in the future. Hopefully. XD

I'm starting on chapter 12 (ZOMG! Symbolism!!! :O!) today. It'll be longer...I think. It should be up sometime by Christmas. I hope. o_0

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Sorry this chapter is so late, guys. I've been swamped with work these past few weeks and have barely found time to write. Next week is exams, so don't expect another chapter until Christmas time or a little bit later. Hope you all are doing well in whatever life is throwing at you right now. Here's chapter twelve! Enjoy!

Chapter 12:
Marked

There are rumors about death. Some say it strikes cold and harshly. Others say it is slow and feels comforting and welcoming. But it truly feels as if your soul slips from your body, leaving it cold. Death grips onto the soul, never ceasing its hold. Scarlet wasn't sure if she was dead, but she felt as if she had left her body behind completely in another realm. But, if she had left her body, how could it be possible for her to fell the waves of icy feeling washing over her every few minutes? Or was it seconds? Scarlet wasn't so sure about how much time had passed...wherever she was.

She put out a hand to fell for anything in front of her. She couldn't even see her hand in the darkness. She knelt to see if she could feel what was underneath her feet. Her hand swung through thin air. She must be levitating. She could see nothing underneath her.

Slowly, blood red waves of light started to pulse far beneath her feet. She could barely make them out, but she could certainly sense them. They started to swirl around until they formed a whirlpool of red light. Scarlet adverted her eyes from the scene. Such surrounding images made her mind race and caused panic to set in. She couldn't deal with the suffocating feeling they gave her.

Two more rays of light appeared and expanded before her, forming blood red eyes surrounded by what looked to be a beastly skeleton. Large black wings rose behind them, one flap of their membranes causing another icy chill to run down her spine.

Dimension...

Take the power of dimension...

Something started to trickle down Scarlet's back and onto her arms. It was warm and sticky to the touch. Why did it not sicken her? She actually enjoyed the feeling of blood washing over her. The power holding her up ceased to exist and she plummeted into the swirling red vortex below.

------------

"Scarlet?"

The hand on her shoulder was warm. It gently nudged her until she pried open her eyes. The fingers were long and the back was covered in black, swirling tattoos...no...they weren’t tattoos. It looked as if the lines had been carved into the hand and filled in with black ink. She thought for a second that she saw them ripple, as if they were alive and bonded to the skin.

“Scarlet?”

She finally looked up into a familiar set of black eyes. At least, they were faintly familiar. The last time she had seen them, they were lit up with simple joy and happiness. They had changed to a dull black sheen. It was as if life had ceased to exist in them.

Other than the change in his eyes, Kirio Karasuma looked exactly the same as he did when she saw him with Kris in the ballroom vision. She had to admit that he was good looking: tall, black hair ringing his face, and a well built body. There was something about him, though, that made her want to throw her arms around him and comfort him. His eyes made him look so vulnerable...so weak.

“How do you feel?” He asked, his grip tightening on her shoulder. A look of worry flashed across his face for a second, only to disappear into his dark, deep black eyes.

“I...I think so...” Scarlet lifted her hand to push herself up, then stopped, her eyes fixed on the dark gold lines running across her skin. Identical to Kirio’s except for their color, they ran up her hand and arm, swirling around her neck and chest. They were both horrid and beautiful at the same time. The gold shone in the moonlit air like a gem embedded in her skin. She could feel Kirio’s breath on her ear as he helped her to her feet.

“I’ve got a lot to explain, but I need to explain it to the others as well,” he murmured. Scarlet nodded absentmindly, her eyes and mind focused on the golden lines. Kirio led her forward, his grip steadying her as her legs slowly worked their strength back up.

“Scarlet!” As soon as they entered the Center, Mars bolted from her seat, her red eyes blazing as bright as the ruby red lines that covered her hands and arms. “We were worried about you...” she glanced at Saturn and Volkner, the latter rising and rushing toward Scarlet, throwing his arms around her and pressing her close to his chest. Scarlet could hear his breathing calming down significantly and glanced at his arm. Her suspicions were confirmed. Diamond colored lines ran across the back of his hand and up his arm. Looking past him, she saw Saturn absentmindly studying the sapphire lines that marked his own skin, his dark blue eyes glittering with excitement as if he knew of some great and interesting secret Scarlet knew nothing of. She pulled back from Volkner’s grasp and turned to look at Kirio.

“What’s going on?” She asked plainly and firmly, her dark brown eyes boring into Kirio’s black ones. Something shifted in his eyes. Resolution...determination...Scarlet didn’t know. All she knew was that he held knowledge of what happened to them and she wanted to hold a piece of it for herself.

Kirio leaned back against a wall as if bracing himself against the explanation he had to give. Finally, he spoke...slowly and plainly, but with a strain of emotion breaking through his voice. Was it fear or sorrow that broke through his words?

"The Demon Council is made up of the most powerful demons in the underworld. It was responsible for creating the Shadow and sending Grayson, who was one of their own, out into this realm to start the two Great Wars. Now that Grayson no longer has control over the Shadow, the Council's power in this realm has been weakened. After the Great War ended, they started on their purging of the Cipher organization. All agents and admins were wiped out, including my sister Marina.

"But you survived." Scarlet couldn't help interrupting. The thought of this group of demons mercilessly wiping out a group of Aquapolians that they had forced into servitude against their wills was unthinkable.

"Yes. After the war ended, they were purified completely and were unable to see the true danger behind what the demons had done. In their grief over the acts that they had performed, they were unable to save themselves when the demons came. But I...I was partially purified before the war ended. My eyes were open to the dangers. And that was why I survived."

"Go on and continue with your explanation of the Demon Council, Kirio," Mars said, shifting from one foot to the other. She was just as nervous about the Council as Kirio was. Scarlet was a bit surprised to see her unnerved. As long as Scarlet had known her, Mars had been bold in the face of whatever sign of danger came their way, This Council must have been terrifying; their very thought shook Scarlet to the core.

"Ojinan, another Council member, came up with a solution to their problems. If they could somehow destroy the six powers of land, sea, sky, time, space, and dimension they would gain control over this realm. But, the legendaries that hold these powers are immortal, so the powers must be moved to another place. When Kris died, she became trapped in another dimension, causing the legendaries to disappear and the six powers to remain open to the demons, who decided to place them in six mortals."

"Us..." Scarlet whispered. This was all too much for her to take in at one time. What power did he contain? Would the demons be able to find her? Was she as good as dead?

"Before we do anything else...we need to find out exactly which of the legendaries each of us is," Mars said, her eyes running up and down the paths traced by the lines etched into her skin with a ruby shine. They matched her ruby red hair, causing the effect of the lines to look usual and purposeful.

“You’re Groudon...I mean...We’re not exactly the legendaries themselves. We just contain their powers. That means that you are the power of the land.” A spark flashed through Mars’s eyes as Kirio said this, but Scarlet could not interpret it. “And you...” He turned to Saturn, whose dark blue hair blended with the dark blue lines on his skin. “Are the power of the sea. Volkner...I think you are the power of time.” He glanced at Scarlet. “You’re the power of dimension. The strongest of the six powers.”

“That must be why Kris is sharing her visions with you. You are the one of us that will be able to face the demons best,” Mars said.

Scarlet stared down at her hands. Was she really all that powerful? She did feel energy surging through her veins...but it scared her to think of so much power coursing through her body.

“There are only four of us here. There must be two others...” Mars murmured.

“What about the marks on your skin?” Volkner asked Kirio suspiciously. “Aren’t they the marks of a legendary?”

Kirio nodded. “Darkrai...” No one said a word about the coincidence of him being a former Shadow Follower and becoming the carrier for the legendary of darkness’s powers. “I have no clue why they would distribute his powers as well. This may just be part of their plan.”

The sound of a cell phone going off broke through the silent tension in the room. Mars pulled hers out of her pocket and flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Mars? This is Rowan. Something has happened...”

“Have any of you been marked?!” She gasped, interrupting him.

“Yes. Damian and Gardenia.”

“Then they must be the powers of space and sky...” she murmured.

“What?”

“I’ll explain later...We’re heading over there as soon as possible.” With that, she hung up.

“First...we have to learn more about the position we’re in. I’m going to take Scarlet to Mount Coronet,” Kirio said. In an instant, Mars tensed up, her eyes flashing. Their eyes met, and Kirio nodded. “You may not trust me, any of you. But I have reasons behind my actions that lead me to help you.” He turned to Scarlet and smiled weakly. “I’m not sure if she’s shown you yet what those reasons are.”

Something about his expression at that time struck Scarlet as sad. She didn’t know him well, but she could guess that he was trying to shake off his past and prove to the others that he was no longer a Shadow Follower. She turned to Mars. “I trust him. I’ll go with him while the rest of you head to Canalave.”

Saturn and Mars looked at each other and she sighed. “Okay. It’s starting to get light outside, so we better get on our way.” As they started to get ready to go their separate ways, Volkner walked up to Scarlet and put his arm around her, pulling her close. She was startled by his show of affection. Since she had left him, he had treated her with an icy attitude. She suddenly realized that she had still cared for him all of those years.

“Be careful,” he whispered to her. “Call me if you have any trouble.” He glared over at Kirio as he said this and released Scarlet, who turned to leave the Center. She turned back and smiled.

“Bye, Volkner. We have a lot to think about.” To her relief, he smiled back and nodded as she turned to leave with Kirio.

------------

What are you doing here?

...You’re here to help?

Do as much as you can...

------------

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Scarlet tripped over a rock and stumbled with a cry to the ground. “Damn it!” She groaned as beads of blood started to appear on her knees and scraping pain shot through her leg. She hated traveling in the mountains so much...

Wait...the mountains? But...

She swung around and gazed at the mountain ridges around her. Seconds before, she had been in Eterna...and it was dawn. Now, she was in the mountains and the noonday sun beat down on her. Kirio was nowhere to be seen.

She was in another vision.

“Hearthome is straight ahead!”

The familiar voice was soothing to Scarlet’s ears and she turned to see Kris walking down the mountain path with Dawn, Ash, and another boy right beside her. The stranger was taller than his companions and sported a large backpack and a full head of spiky brown hair.

“I can’t wait for my next contest!” Dawn exclaimed, twirling around in excitement.

“Know which of your Pokemon you’re going to use yet?” Kris asked.

“I think I’ll use Pachirisu. He’ll do great, don’t you think?”

As the two girls chattered on, Scarlet couldn’t shake off the feeling that something important was about to happen.

Last edited:

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Well, as I'm sure you all know, Maddie Blaustein, the voice actor for Meowth for many years, passed away a few weeks ago. Please keep her family in your prayers, since I'm sure many of you grew up watching the anime with her voice as Meowth as I did. Here's chapter thirteen.

Chapter 13
Knowledge

It was a clear day in the mountains, so clear that Scarlet could see for miles around her. It had been half an hour since she started following Kris and she was starting to wonder exactly what was special about this vision. She could tell they were on the eastern side of the mountains, but she didn't know how far away from Hearthome they were.

Suddenly, Kris stopped dead in her tracks, her gaze fixed on something in the distance. Scarlet couldn't quite make out what she was looking at. The others stopped, wondering what Kris was staring at.

"What is it, Kris?" Dawn asked.

"There," Kris pointed to a spot in the distance to their right. Scarlet followed her gesture to a building lying in the ridges. It was a plain steel warehouse, but she could make out several people walking around outside. They wore strange white and gray uniforms that Scarlet couldn't identify. Obviously, though, Kris knew who they were. "It's a base."

"Oh, no," Dawn said, putting her hands on her hips. "We are not going over there. We are not dealing with them anymore."

"But, Dawn, we still don't know what they're up to. It's just killing me that after all these weeks in Sinnoh, we still haven't discovered what Team Galactic is doing."

Team Galactic. Now, that was a name that Scarlet recognized. You couldn't have grown up in Sinnoh without knowing and hearing about Team Galactic. Though they had disbanded by the end of the war, they had influenced the people of Sinnoh greatly. Scarlet's father had done many research articles on them and had been particularly interested in their leader's background.

Dawn sighed. "Fine. What's our attack plan?"

Kris's face lit up. Scarlet could see that she was excited about infiltrating Team Galactic's base. But...why exactly? "We'll split up. You three try to get Max's program into the database and I'll try to get any information I can about their operations."

The others nodded and in no time at all, they were slipping undercover into the base. Scarlet followed Kris along several passageways until Kris decided to go into a random room.

“Wow...” She murmured when she opened the door. The room held several bookshelves crammed with books. “I didn’t know that anyone in Team Galactic read books.” She reached up to grab a book off the shelf in front of her, curious to see what the books were about, and pulled off a book entitled The Different Dimensions. She took her time flipping through it, which made Scarlet nervous. If she hung around too long, Kris could be discovered and her mission would be ruined. Kris replaced the book and glanced quickly around the room, her eyes resting on three pictures lying on a desk near the bookshelf. Scarlet peeked over her shoulder as she studied the three pictures intently. Each one showed what seemed to be carvings depicted on ancient ruins. The carvings showed what looked to be Pokemon, several of which Scarlet had never seen before. Perhaps they were legendaries that Team Galactic was researching.

“Those pictures were taken from the ruins in Celestic just north of here.”

The voice from behind made Scarlet jump and Kris turn around sharply. Neither had heard anyone come into the room. Come to think of it, though, they were the intruders, not the man who stood...towered before them. He was quite intimidating, but not just because of his height. His eyes were a cold, lifeless steel gray that made Scarlet’s blood run cold, even though she knew that he couldn’t see her. His hair matched his eyes, though it had a bluish tint to it. Kris backed up, clutching the pictures in her hand. Fear flickered through her eyes for a second as she waited for him to speak.

“Those are the three legendaries of the lakes, Uxie, Mespirit and Azelf. You’re curious about them, no?” He tilted his head to the side, glancing at the pictures she gripped in her hand.

“Yes,” she squeaked out, backing up even more. He nodded and turned, picking a book off the table nearby and holding it out to her.

“If you want to learn more, I suggest you read this.” Kris warily took the book from him, and Scarlet glanced at the cover. Time, Space, and Dimension. “You may take the pictures as well, if you wish.”

Scarlet could tell that Kris was starting to panic. Her grip was tightening even more around the pictures, smearing fingerprints all over the glossy copies of the three legendaries. Scarlet could feel the tension in the air. Kris was feeling threatened, which meant that she was about to attack. He obviously sensed this, because he turned around and in his cold voice said, “Now, it is time to deal with the friends you brought with you.” Kris had amazing willpower, Scarlet thought, to not freak out at that very instant. He started to leave and Kris followed after him. It suddenly hit Scarlet that Kris was no longer tense...she was curious.

The man led them down several passageways until they came to a large room lined with computers. Dawn, Brock, and Ash were standing together on one end, surrounded by Galactic agents on all sides. The agents turned around when they entered the room, and they immediately stood at attention.

“Commander! We’ve caught these kids trying to break into the computer database!” One said, glancing back at Ash and the others. They froze when they caught sight of the commander, each one glancing nervously at him and Kris.

The commander closed his eyes for a few seconds, saying, “This should not happen again. You are fine to go for now, but there will be consequences if you are caught in one of my bases again.” After he said this, he glanced at Kris, who clutched the pictures and book tighter to her chest, her eyes never leaving his. Ash and the others took this chance to sneak out of the nearest exit. The man nodded to the agents and left the room. Kris paused for only a few seconds before she followed him into the passageway.

“Wait!” He turned, waiting for her to catch up. When she did, there were a few minutes of silence before she said, “Who are you?”

He blinked before answering, “ I am a commander of Team Galactic. Cyrus is my name.” With that, he turned to leave. Kris stood in that spot for a few minutes until leaving herself. Scarlet gazed after him, wondering what was so special about this memory. Suddenly, he turned back around.

“I suggest you go to the Temple of Dimension. You will find many answers there.”

Surprise hit Scarlet like a physical wave of fire. He was looking straight at her. He was speaking to her. He wasn’t supposed to see her. This was a vision, right? “Y...You can see me?” She squeaked.

“Obviously. Now go.” Scarlet started to speak, but she was being pulled back again. Kris needed her somewhere else. She didn’t care about her curiosity at that point.

She just wanted to be saved.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

“Scarlet, we’re here.”

Mountains swam back into Scarlet’s view. She turned to see Kirio standing next to her.

“You had another vision?”

“Yes.”

He nodded in reply. “We need to enter the mountain to get to the Temple of Dimension. If you have another vision, I’ll make sure you walk where you are supposed to.”

She nodded and they entered the cave, Scarlet following closely after Kirio. The floors of the cave were slippery with water, causing Scarlet to slip several times and grab onto Kirio’s arm, nearly pulling him down with her.

“Be careful,” he muttered. “We don’t want you slipping off a cliff in here...”

Scarlet felt her feet slip again, but this time, she faded out of the mountains.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Compared to the darkness of the inside of Mt. Coronet, the scene Scarlet was thrown into was bright with noonday sun. She and Kris stood on top of a hill overlooking a town with a circle of ruins in the middle. Pikachu, Ash, Dawn, and Brock were nowhere in sight as Kris approached the Pokemon Center. A tall young woman dressed from head to toe in black stood in front of the building. She had the longest blonde hair Scarlet had ever seen. When she spotted Kris, she smiled.

“Hey Kris, long time no see. Where are your friends?”

“They’re in Hearthome. Dawn had a contest, so Ash and Brock stayed to cheer her on.”

“Well, I know that you’re excited about seeing the ruins. I need to speak with some of the keepers at the museum for a few minutes before we go in. And, my grandmother said that she’s found someone who knows a lot about the ruins to come and tour them with us. I’ll see you in a little bit.”

Kris entered the Pokemon Center and sat in the waiting room, pulling out one of the books Scarlet saw Cyrus giver to her earlier. She read intently for a few minutes.

“You still haven’t finished?”

Kris’s head shot up to see Cyrus standing in front of her, looking down at the book she held open in her hands. He was dressed in a suit, a fact which Kris found odd as did Scarlet. Then, it hit Scarlet that this was the person the woman was talking about. Come to think of it, she remembered the woman’s name was Cynthia, champion of Sinnoh. Scarlet shook her head. So many things were racing through it that she couldn’t even remember simple, everyday facts. She got her mind back into focus right as Kris started to speak.

“I haven’t had much time to read over the past few weeks. I’ve been busy with gym matches.”

It was as if Kris was talking to Ash or one of her other friends. She was being so...civil with this man who was supposed to be her enemy. Scarlet couldn’t understand why. Was Kris’s curiosity so great that she would do anything, follow him anywhere to find what she was searching for? Or did he hold some unknown force over her? Scarlet was starting to get nervous, forgetting that this was a vision of the past, and knowing that Kris was leading herself into destruction this way.

“You should be focusing on your powers and this war instead of such meaningless things.” Scarlet waited for Kris to jump to her feet and defend her passion, but she just hung her head without saying a word as if she agreed with him. Then, she lifted her head and Scarlet saw a spark of welcome defiance in her eye.

“I came here to study about the powers to time and space. I am focusing on my powers,” she said firmly. Cyrus opened his mouth to make another comment when Cynthia walked into the room. Scarlet glared at her, annoyed that she had disrupted a conversation that could have told her something that she needed to know.

“I’m glad to see you made it,” Cynthia said to Cyrus. She either didn’t know that Cyrus was in Team Galactic or she didn’t know who Cyrus was at all, Scarlet guessed, otherwise there would be a knock down drag out fight...or tantrum. “Why don’t we head on over to the ruins?” Kris smiled at her, dropping her book back into her bag and glancing warily at Cyrus as she stood up and followed Cynthia out the door.

The walk over to the ruins was awkward even for Scarlet, who was not actually part of the scene. Kris knew who Cyrus was and she knew why he was there. Yet, she didn’t tell Cynthia a thing, just eyed him suspiciously and let him walk right into the museum that stood in front of the ruins. It looked more like a small building than a museum to Scarlet, but when they entered the lobby, brightly colored paintings drew Scarlet’s attention to scenes of ancient Aquapolis. One especially caught both her and Kris’s eye.

The painting took up about half a wall, causing observers to have to back up to look at it. Scarlet gasped as she realized that it must have been painted thousands of years ago, but had been perfectly preserved. An oil painting, it depicted an angel dressed in a flowing white dress that overtook much of the scenery around her. She held a book...Scarlet squinted to make out the title...oh, of course, the Bible...in her left hand and a sword in her right. Her face was lined with long, beautiful golden blonde hair. It was familiar and gentle, yet the eyes burned with passion and fire. Aquapolian crystal blue eyes...Scarlet suddenly got the subject of the painting.

It was Kris.

Well, it was more accurately her as the Chosen One, Quamachi, thousands of years before. It must have been surreal for Kris to look at the painting. She must have at one point known who the artist was, but now she could not even remember the day it was painted. Scarlet caught Cyrus studying the painting as well. Why was he so interested in it? Their eyes met and a chill went through Scarlet as she remembered that he could see her. She wanted to ask him if he knew anything about why Kris was trapped, but she hesitated as Cynthia led them down the hall to another room.

This one had just plain light blue walls, but Scarlet barely noticed these. Her eyes immediately traveled to a glass case that sat in the middle of the room. Encased in the glass was a diamond colored orb made out of Aquapolian crystal. Scarlet immediately knew that this was one of the legendary objects she had researched during her studies. If she was right, this was the Diamond Orb, the object of the power of time and Dialga. That made her think of Volkner and she hoped that he was safely on his way to Canalave.

“The Diamond Orb?” Kris gasped, racing to get a closer look. As soon as her fingers touched the glass case, the orb started to glow brightly and a wave of energy swept through the room, big enough only to blow Kris’s hair up around her face. Cyrus stepped closer to study the orb and Scarlet felt Kris tense up. Luckily for Cyrus, Cynthia wasn’t paying attention to Kris, but to the orb itself.

“My grandmother led the expedition that uncovered it in these ruins years ago,” she told Kris. “I knew you would be interested in seeing it. I thought Maxie was going to be here at one point, but he hasn’t contacted me to tell me that he’s coming.”

“I haven’t see him for several weeks. I did speak to him yesterday and he said that he’ll be here later tonight.” Scarlet wondered for a second why Maxie would want to see the Diamond Orb, then she remembered that he was Kris’s mentor and would be interested in studying anything that dealt with her powers.

“That’s good. This is supposed to be a legendary object, right?”

“It holds the power of Dialga, the power of time,” Cyrus said. Scarlet realized that he wasn’t there to see the ruins. He was there to take the Diamond Orb. Kris must have known this. She was going to let him take it without alerting Cynthia.

But why?

“Let’s go take a look at the ruins now,” Cynthia said. Scarlet saw Kris shoot a secret glance at Cyrus, as if to say that she knew what he was doing and that she disapproved, but that she was going to let him take it so that she could find out what he was up to.

This mystery was drawing Scarlet in as well, but she wanted to know above all...

How was it possible for Cyrus to see her?

Last edited:

duncan

Well well. How much has happened...I must say, quite the turn of events here with the powers. My only problem...well, it just seemed so random and unimportant. Getting powers like that...it should be extremely important, not just something that happens (even with a decent reason why) to lots of people. I would certainly have liked to see you put more emphasis on that.

I will say I enjoyed that scene where she was given the powers and the nice death analogy.

His eyes made him look so venerable...so weak.

Fairly sure this should be vulnerable here.

“Wow...” She murmured when she opened the door. The room held several bookshelves crammed with books. “I didn’t know that anyone in Team Galactic read books.”

My favorite quote. XD

In fact, I liked most of the flashback scenes. Plenty of interesting info, but I did find them a bit confusing. Twice it took me a minute to even realize a new flashback had started, and during it everything seemed awfully vague. I can understand how it could be like that in a flashback and all, but I wasn't able to get a complete picture of what was going on much of the time.

Neither had heard anyone come into the room. Neither had sensed the intruder at all.

Both of these seem unnecessary. I'd suggest deleting one, as they both basically say the same thing.

But why?”

Not entirely sure which, but this either needs a quotation mark at the beginning or doesn't need one at the end. I'm leaning toward the latter, as it doesn't seem like she is speaking aloud here, but whichever.

Anyway...a few problems, but on the whole I certainly enjoyed both chapters. Nicely done, the plot certainly is taking off here.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
*spins around*

Yay! :)

Yeah...the getting the legendaries' powers part was a bit...random I should say, but in later chapters, you will understand why these powers were given away.

Um...just look for the <<<<<<>>>>>> to signal flashbacks. That might be easier.

I'll go fix those mistakes. Thanks for reviewing!!! :) And Merry Christmas!!!

Next chapter up sometimes before New Year's or before the 6th. Let's hope.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
I hope everyone had a happy New Year these past few days. I'll be working especially hard this year on Aftermath, and possibly by the end of the year, a sequel. It makes me excited just thinking about it! :) Well, here's chapter 14, enjoy!

Chapter 14
Night

The ruins were lined with ancient Aquapolian writing. Scarlet ignored the writing. She couldn't read it, so what was the point? All she cared about was the section of ruins Kris and Cyrus were studying. It held three plates of opal, diamond, and pearl that were placed in a triangle surrounding a carving of words in the middle.

"What do they say?" Cyrus asked Kris. Scarlet wondered for a second why he would ask her to translate. Then, she remembered that Kris could read Aquapolian. Kris studied the writings for a while until she stood back, a puzzled look on her face.

"It's a legend...it talks about Giratina, Dialga, and Palkia as the powers of dimension, time, and space, three of the six powers of the earth," Kris paused, her eyes meeting his as she realized that she was about to give him valuable information that he could use in Team Galactic's operations. He nodded, silently telling her to go on, but before she could do or say anything, something in the corner of her eye caught her attention and she froze.

"What is it?" Cynthia asked. Scarlet swung around to see the blonde Champion leaning against a pillar, trying desperately not to look bored. Suddenly, Scarlet saw a flash of off-white fur out of the corner of her eye and she turned to see a Meowth holding the Diamond Orb in its paws.

"Meowth!?" Kris screamed, her voice filled with both surprise and anger. Her scream nearly deafened Scarlet, who jumped when the high-pitched voice shot through her ears. Cyrus didn't react whatsoever to her exclamation, just turned to see what had caused Kris to freak out. The Meowth froze when he saw all eyes on him and smiled sheepishly. Scarlet could see his eyes darting across the room, his minds racing to find and exit.

"Hey...twerp, long time, no see," he said, clutching the Diamond Orb tighter with his claws. Thank God Aquapolian crystal couldn't be scratched, Scarlet thought, or she herself would have tried to wring the cat Pokemon's neck.

"What are you doing here?!" Kris screamed. The Meowth backed up again, a nervous expression spreading across his face.

"I'll take care of him," Cynthia said, throwing a Poke Ball into the air and releasing a Nidoqueen. "Nidoqueen, Superpower!" An orb of energy slammed into the Meowth, causing him to let go of the orb and fly into and through one of the ruin walls. The orb fell to the ground and smashed into a bunch of pieces.

"The orb!" Cynthia gasped, running to pick up the pieces of the broken object.

"That wasn't the orb," Kris muttered, stepping forward to stop Cynthia from picking up the shards. Cynthia turned to her, a wild expression in her eyes. "The Diamond Orb is made out of Aquapolian crystal. It's unbreakable."

"Then, that one was fake?" Cynthia said, getting to her feet. Scarlet glanced at Cyrus, then realized what his plan was. "We need to go check on the real orb!" Cynthia bolted out of the ruins, leaving Kris and Cyrus alone in the room. Kris turned to address Cyrus, but he beat her to it.

"The Meowth was not part of my plan," he said, as if he were addressing and explaining an unspoken question.

"Damn right it wasn't..." Kris muttered, rolling her eyes and following Cynthia out of the ancient building. She and Cyrus found Cynthia in the room where the Diamond Orb sat, still encased in glass. Kris lifted the glass case off if its stand and picked up the orb. It didn't glow. She pulled her arm back and the orb shattered on the floor.

"If that's fake as well, where is the real orb?" Cynthia asked aloud. Kris and Cyrus glanced at each other. Scarlet wanted to scream, to tell the world that Kris was aiding in its destruction. But, of course, the only one who would hear her was Cyrus, and that wouldn't do her any good whatsoever. Scarlet could hear a helicopter approaching overhead, flying over the ruins and museum with a deafening sound. Cynthia raced out to see who it was, Kris and Cyrus in tow. When Scarlet arrived outside, all she could see was the tail end of the helicopter disappearing into the distance.

"That helicopter had a Galactic symbol on it," Cynthia said. "I should have known that they were involved in this." She took out her cell phone and dialed a number, rage flashing in her eyes. "Yes? Volkner? Listen, I need you to contact the gym leaders and tell them to watch for a Galactic helicopter heading east toward Veilstone." She hung up and turned to Kris.

"Don't worry, Cynthia, the Legendary..."

"You're off the case," Cynthia snapped. Kris backed up a step, surprise, then anger flashing through her eyes at Cynthia's statement.

"What do you mean I'm off the case?" Kris asked, her voice rising.

"First, you lost the Pearl Orb in Eterna and now this. Let the Elite Four and I take care of it from now on. I don't want to hear about you going near a Galactic base again, or I'll have you kicked out of the Diamond Conference, understand?" She didn't wait for Kris's reply; just turned around and stormed out of the room. Kris sighed and turned to walk in the other direction.

"Where are you going now?" Cyrus asked. Kris stopped and turned to face him.

"Hearthome, then on to Canalave."

"I have to get to Hearthome myself," he said, staring to walk out the door. "We'll go together." Kris followed after him warily. They made their way down to Solaceon Town.

"Can I see it?" Kris asked as they walked along the well-trodden path that led south. Scarlet imagined that she felt weird traveling alongside him even for a short while. His presence was nerve wracking to say the least. He nodded, pulling the Diamond Orb from his pocket and handed it to Kris. Scarlet smiled. Here was her chance to make off with the orb. Kris simply studied the orb, which glowed and reacted to her touch. Cyrus glanced at the orb, his face giving no sign or hint of his feelings. "What?" Kris asked when she realized he was watching the orb carefully. "I'm not going to run off with it."

Cyrus turned away. "Of course not. You are curious about what we plan to do with it and the Pearl Orb." Kris said nothing, just silently and willingly gave the orb back to him. The trip back was silent.

Why is she helping him? Scarlet asked herself for what seemed like the hundredth time. She knows he's up to no good, but she's still helping him. She wondered if she should speak up and alert him to her presence, but she felt something pulling on her feet. "What the hell?!" She yelled as she started to sink into the ground. Cyrus glanced back at her, but kept on walking. "Help!" She screamed. He didn't seem like he was in a hurry to save her; just turned his attention back to the road ahead. Scarlet's screams were muffled as the road rose above her.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Scarlet gasped and lurched forward, nearly cracking her head open on the stone floor underneath her. The transitions from vision to reality were starting to get pretty rough on Scarlet. The stone wall before her swam as if both she and it were underwater.

"God, Scarlet," she heard Kirio say as he helped her to her feet. "Sorry I didn't catch you in time." His eyebrows knit with worry. "Your head is bleeding." He reached into the bag he carried with him and withdrew some bandages. "Hold still," he said, as he wrapped one around Scarlet's head tightly. She winced as pain shot through her scalp. "Do you feel okay?" Kirio asked, stepping back to examine her head.

"Yeah, I just faded out of that vision...violently."

"I'll say..."

"How close are we to the Temple of Dimension?"

"A few hours at least." Kirio scanned the path ahead of them. "We're not even halfway through the mountain yet."

"How far is the Temple?" Scarlet asked as they plunged deeper into the darkness.

"A few miles below the top of the mountain."

"Oh."

"She must be trying to tell you something since she's sending you more and more visions."

"Yeah..." Suddenly, the ground beneath Scarlet's feet seemed to tip up and she sprawled into darkness once again.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Scarlet opened her eyes. All she saw was a white ceiling. She sat up just in time to see Kris, dressed in a Galactic uniform, streak past. She jumped to her feet to follow her down the passageway and into an office. Kris paused for a few seconds before she walked over to a desk and started to rummage through it. She froze, pulling a framed picture out of one drawer. Scarlet stood on her toes to look at it over Kris's shoulder. It showed two young boys, one looking a few years older than the other. The older had light blue hair and the younger had dark blue hair that looked almost black. Kris raised a hand to her mouth as if she recognized the two. Her body suddenly became frigid and the picture fell out of her hands and dropped to the floor with a crash. Kris was frozen in place, unable to move. Scarlet turned to see Cyrus standing in the doorway. He glanced to acknowledge her for only a second before he turned to speak to Kris.

"I am annoyed by your curiosity at times. You seem to do anything to obtain any knowledge you can of a subject. You must be here to see what our leader is doing.”

Kris made a chocking noise and Scarlet realized that her paralysis was keeping her from breathing. Cyrus closed his eyes and Kris fell to her knees, gasping for breath. He turned away.

“It’s time that you did satisfy your curiosity about our organization once and for all.”

He started to leave the room. Kris shakily got to her feet and followed after him as if she were being controlled by him. Scarlet followed them to a temple atop the mountain where two large statues of Palkia and Dialga stood. Professor Rowan stood beside a machine that held the legendary trio of Azelf, Uxie, and Mespirit. Maxie stood beside...

“Mars?!” Scarlet gasped. The redhead stood by Maxie. She was dressed in a short grey and white dress with no sleeves. Grey lines wound around the bottom of her dress and the Galactic symbol was embroidered on the left side of her chest. She looked different somehow. More...dark and angry. Her eyes were black, not red like Scarlet remembered them. She gritted her teeth together in anger. Mars had never even mentioned that she was involved in Team Galactic, much less that she was the leader. Scarlet assumed she was the leader by the way she ordered...

“Saturn?!” Another gasp escaped Scarlet’s mouth. The blue haired psychic had been ordered to leave the room, but not before Scarlet could catch a glimpse of his familiar face. Unlike Mars, he looked the same as Scarlet knew him.

She felt anger surge through her. They had both lied to her. They had covered up the fact that they had both been involved in Team Galactic. She felt betrayed. They weren’t exactly close to her, but she had trusted them. Obviously, Mars had changed over time. Now, she looked cold and harsh as she glared at Cyrus.

“What is she doing here?” Mars snapped, her black eyes narrowing as she caught sight of Kris, standing awkwardly beside Cyrus as if she didn’t know what to do. Cyrus said nothing, just returned her glare. She stepped back a bit as if she were intimidated, even though she was his leader. Scarlet wondered how she became leader in the first place instead of Cyrus. Mars was an imposing figure, but Cyrus seemed to be more powerful and knowledgeable.

Mars sighed as if she were trying to calm down and smirked. “No matter. The machine is ready, isn’t it Professor?”

Rowan narrowed his eyes and glared at her as if to say he disapproved of what she was doing. His glare was enough to freeze any normal Aquapolian in his tracks, but Mars was not fazed. Something seemed to change in Kris as she observed Mars and Rowan’s small battle of wills. It was as if something had snapped Kris out of the daze she had been in for what seemed like the past few visions Scarlet had seen. She lunged at Mars, slamming into the ground a few seconds after Mars teleported out of the way. Mars reappeared near a pillar moments later, unable to dodge the blast of light energy that knocked her in the face and shoulders, nearly causing her to crack her head on the pillar.

“You brat!” She screeched, sending a psychic wave of energy through the air toward Kris with a wave of her hand. Kris dodged out of the way, but it did succeed in cutting her arm, causing a trickle of blood to run down her skin. Scarlet usually felt queasy around blood, but this time, she just looked at Kris’s arm, gasping when the cut started to heal right before her eyes. Seconds later, her arm was completely healed without any scarring at all. Kris flew toward Mars, but froze in mid-air, her muscles paralyzed by Mars’s power as they had been by Cyrus.

Mars turned back to Rowan. “Start the machine or I’ll kill her,” she stated simply. Rowan cringed, looking helplessly at Kris before he flipped the switch to start the machine. It roared to life, causing the legendary trio trapped inside to cry out in pain. Kris gagged, struggling to breath past the psychic energy constricting her throat. Glass shattered and sprayed across Mars and her as the energy of the legendary trio engulfed the machine. A deafening crash and blinding light blocked the scene for a few moments until the energy died away. Scarlet opened her eyes and Mars released her control over Kris, who slumped to the floor, gasping for breath. The machine had been completely destroyed, fragments scattered everywhere. Rowan had teleported to safety seconds before the blast. In the machine’s place was an iron chain, blood red in color.

Dimension.

Scarlet’s chest seized up in excruciating pain and her eyes widened. She fell to her knees and screamed as blood flooded her vision.

Maybe...possibly...this was her end.

Last edited:

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Wow, it has been a while since I posted the last chapter. Since school started back a few weeks ago, I haven't had much time to write, but I did finish this chapter. I'm starting my term paper next week, so from now until March, between school, tennis, and piano, I won't have much time to write, but I'll try to get in at least another chapter before then. I recommend that if you have not seen the last two episodes of the anime, you watch them on Youtube because they are full of key Team Galactic plot details that are not related at all to this fic. Here is chapter 15!

Chapter 15
Trust

A blood curling scream shot through Kirio's eardrums, causing him to cry out in shock and pain. Scarlet cried out again and fell to her knees, breathing hard. Kirio's blood ran cold as she screamed again. He knelt by her side to see what was wrong.

"Scarlet! What is it?" He questioned. Her eyes were still glazed over. She was still in her vision. She screamed once more and the gold lines in her skin started to turn blood red. Kirio clutched his Poketch, shakily punching in Mars' number.

------------

"Why do we have to go through all these books?" Gardenia sighed, slumping in a chair surrounded by stacks of books. She and her companions were sifting through what seemed like every book in the Canalave library and they had been at it for hours. She needed a breath of fresh air.

"So that we can find out exactly why and how these powers were given to us," Mars replied, not looking up from the book she clutched in her hand. Gardenia sighed again and picked up a random book from a stack.

"But why us?" Saturn asked from his position a few bookcases away from Gardenia and Mars. "We aren't the most likely of candidates."

"Yes, but Kris chose Scarlet," Rowan remarked, looking up from the book he was scanning. "Think about what would happen with Scarlet if any of you started to be killed."

Gardenia glanced over at Volkner and Damian. Scarlet and Damian had been friends for years. Plus, they were kind of going out. Gardenia saw how Scarlet looked at Damian. She really wasn't in love with him...she was in love with Volkner. Losing Volkner would be a much bigger blow.

"This is the kind of psychological warfare the Shadow used on Kris during the Great War," Rowan continued. "It's meant to break down the spirit with as much loss as one can stand without killing oneself. It makes your enemies physically weaker as well as they are unable to cope with their lives."

“The Shadow wasn’t the only one to use that power on Kris,” Mars muttered as she flipped through another book. Gardenia watched her, curious as to whom Mars was referring, but the redhead said nothing more.

A loud ringing sound interrupted the train of thought of every mind in the room. Everyone checked their respective Poketchs or cell phones to see if they were receiving the call. A few seconds later, Mars said, “Hello?”

“Mars? It’s Kirio. Listen...I don’t know what’s happening, but Scarlet is reacting to something. It may be in her vision and it may be in reality...”

“How close are you to the Temple?” Mars asked. Gardenia could see her growing pale around her face. Some was wrong.

“We’re about a half an hour away,” Kirio said. “Pretty close. She might be reacting to the Temple...”

“You need to keep going. You don’t know if the reaction will get worse or fade when you reach the Temple. You’ll just have to take your chances.” Gardenia started to see tears well up in Mars’ eyes. A look of helplessness had overcome her features. Gardenia started to grow worried. What had happened?

------------

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Blood fully overcame her vision, blotting out the scene that played before her. Pain gripped her limbs and chest, making her gasp in pain and for breath. Something was causing this. Through the pain that clouded her mind, she sensed energy radiating from some point in front of her. Was she reacting to the chain that had appeared on the ground?

She felt someone grip her arm, and the curtain of blood that filled her vision lifted up. She looked up into a pair of steel grey eyes and her blood ran cold.

“Pay attention,” Cyrus said, helping her to her feet. “Disregard the Red Chain.” Scarlet stared at him for several seconds before she forced herself to focus on the scene in front of her. Something about Cyrus unnerved her. If this was a vision, was it physically possible for him to touch her? Scarlet knew nothing about the concepts of physics in visions, but she had been sure that if no one could see her, no one could touch her. Was she more physically connected to these visions than she thought was possible?

At the appearance of the chain, a wave of distress seemed to wash over those present who did not wish for its creation to take place. Kris had managed to push herself to her feet, avoiding the glass shards scattered on the floor around her. She backed up from the chain, her breath held in wait for what would happen next. Rowan and Maxie stood near the two giant marble statues of Palkia and Dialga, poised and ready for whatever may happen. An air of suspense fell over the group as Mars walked forward, carefully picking up the Red Chain and examining it thoroughly. Scarlet wanted to get a closer look, but she did not dare chance the event of Mars possibly discovering her. Nothing was said as Mars finally raised the Red Chain in her hands. Scarlet could see triumph shine in her dark, soulless eyes. A splitting of particles tore through Scarlet’s consciousness. Something had happened within the dimension. She could sense it.

The marble statues started to crack in a smooth and even way. Lines appeared in the cracking marble, grooves forming ancient ruins on the surface. Marble fell away to reveal a large diamond and pearl gleaming in the chests of the ancient beasts. A terrible splitting of air and deafening roar shook the mountain as they entered this dimension, causing the marble to fall away completely and reveal the two huge beasts. A blast of energy flew in waves from the site where they had appeared. Scarlet anxiously brushed her hair out of her face as the energy blew it back.

Dialga and Palkia had been released. The great powers of time and space stood in all of their glory on the mountaintop, their heads raised to the sky as the temple simply disappeared around them. Mars had and expression of awe on her face as she took in the scene before her. Her expression quickly changed from awe to surprise to dark triumph.

“Kris!” Scarlet didn’t turn around to see who spoke, but she recognized Ash’s voice immediately. She sensed him run from the mountain’s opening onto the mountaintop. He wasn’t alone. Scarlet turned to see Dawn and Brock following after him. Worried expressions lined their faces, replaced by awe and fear when they discovered Dialga and Palkia’s presence. Right after them appeared Cynthia, who cast an angry glance around to all who were present.

“You are in deep trouble,” she seethed to Kris. “I’m going to Wallace about this and you know it.” Cynthia didn’t even acknowledge the presence of time and space, just seemed to try to point blame at anyone she could for Team Galactic’s success, even their enemies. Her eyes flew across the scene, looking for the next person to yell at instead of the sensible though of trying to fix the problem. Then, she spotted Cyrus.

“You!” She exclaimed, her eyes widening in horror as she recognized who he was. “You were in Celestic the day the Diamond Orb went missing!” Cyrus didn’t pay much attention to her discovery, just glanced at her to acknowledge her presence. Scarlet could see Cynthia’s mind putting together the past events, spurning her own as she turned to Kris.

“You knew who he was in Celestic, didn’t you?” She asked, her eyes narrowing dangerously as she flexed her fingers, her pose suggesting that she was about to attack her.

Kris’ face turned red in seconds. Scarlet smirked. This was what she deserved for trusting Cyrus. She didn’t even think of the fact that she should have been looking at Kris’ view of the events, not her own.

“When did you meet him?” Cynthia asked, her tone lowering. Kris took a step back and looked at her defiantly. She was going to fight back.

“A few months before we arrived in Celestic Town,” she said, calmly stating the fact as she met Cynthia’s furious gaze. She felt no regret for her actions. She refused to admit that she had been wrong.

“And you let him walk off with the Diamond Orb?!” Cynthia practically screeched. Kris jumped and backed up a bit, her gaze flickering back to Mars, who stood in front of the two powers, watching the drama with amusement. But, she was done with watching. She was ready to create drama herself. Clutching the Red Chain tighter in her hand, she motioned to get Palkia and Dialga’s attention.

“I’d like to stand her and watch this, but it’s time for the first order of business.” Her eyes rested on Kris. “Destroy the...”

Mars was cut off by a burst of light energy that slammed into the ground near her, kicking up a cloud of dust that concealed her from the others for only a few seconds. Scarlet looked sideways at Kris, who still stood in the position she had been in when she fired the attack. Her arm was bent at a right angle to her body and her legs were caught in a fighting stance. The smoke finally cleared from Scarlet’s vision to reveal Mars clutching one end of the Red Chain and Cyrus the other. Silence passed between the two and Mars’ eyes narrowed as she realized his intent, her hand gripping the chain even tighter.

This time, though, Mars was too close to her attacker to dodge any attack sent her way. She fell to the ground with a sickly thud a few yards from where she previously stood. Struggling to her feet, her eyes widened in shock.

“What are you doing?” She gasped past the pain of the blast of energy that had hit her square in the chest.

Cyrus’s eyes narrowed at her question. “Taking back what is rightfully mine.”

Something seemed so...different about him to Scarlet. Something had changed. He had become...darker.

Mars’ expression of surprise turned to one of anger and hatred. “Have you forgotten our agreement?” She spat. “After all these years are you now going to turn your back on it and not even care?”

“The agreement we made is...inconsequential now. Say what you have to say, Mars. Adhere to your end of our bargain,” Cyrus said, keeping her gaze on Mars. She seemed to back off for a second, judging on whether or not to proceed. Then, with new determination, she swung around to face Kris.

“You want to know why he’s so strong?” She snapped at Kris, who practically jumped back in shock at the redhead’s sudden outburst of anger directed toward her. “You want to know why he knows so much about the powers of time and space?” Kris said nothing, apparently still shocked by Mars’ reaction to Cyrus’ defiance. Mars smirked. “All this time, you had no clue someone else like you was on this planet.”

At once, something irrational came into Scarlet’s mind: Cyrus is and angel?! That would explain why he can see me in these visions... Then, another, more rational thought entered her mind. Kris was part of StarClan, descendant from the ancient Aquapolian royal blood line. What if Cyrus was, too? That would mean he was part-legendary... Which would explain why he was so powerful.

“We made a bargain: I wouldn’t report him to the Shadow if he would make me leader. Believe me: one word to the Shadow and he would be dead.” Scarlet could see everyone present suddenly figure out Mars’ meaning. Kris’ eyes widened in...what? Fear or surprise? “You want to know how he is related to you?” Mars asked Kris in such a low voice that Scarlet had to strain to hear her. “Your father never mentioned his older brother, did he?” Mars’ eyes narrowed as Kris’ widened. Scarlet caught her breath and looked up to meet Cyrus’ eyes. He was watching the scene before him, ignoring Scarlet.

Though he had not heard Mars’ revelation to Kris, Ash stopped forward, his eyes filled with anger and distaste aimed at...Kris.

“You knew,” he said simply in a deep voice. “You knew that he was part of Team Galactic. You knew that he was helping to raise one of the six powers. But...she didn’t even trust to tell any of us? Even confide to us...your friends...that you were going to him to learn more about your powers?” Kris opened her mouth to say something, but he cut her off. “Don’t even be surprised that we’ve noticed that you’ve gotten stronger over the past three months...stronger at a faster rate than ever before.”

Something changed in Kris’ eyes as Ash continued to speak. She was about to explode from frustration...and Scarlet anxiously awaited the impending release of Kris’ anger.

“You put all of us in danger! They could have easily hurt any of us and you would have been too caught up in your own interests to even care about the rest of us!”

No one even saw the blindingly fast flash of light. One minute, Ash was on his feet. The next, he was sprawled out on the ground, being helped to his feet by a very shell-shocked Brock and Dawn. All three stared unbelievingly at their friend as she returned their same expression, which darkened within seconds of glancing back at her companions.

“Don’t you dare judge me by who I trust! I am an angel! Do you understand? I can see intentions! None of you were in any trouble! I made sure of it! If you don’t trust me, save the world your own damn selves!”

With that, Kris brushed past Dawn, storming back to the cave and mouth of the mountain path that led to the ruins of the temple. She was leaving them behind to fend against Dialga and Palkia by themselves.

duncan

Another two-for-one review. :p It's what I get for being lazy.

Anyway, good two chapters. Both were somewhat short (I felt like I just read one normal chapter), but they had enough good stuff in them to make up for it. It's been basically one long, interesting vision after another which is fine by me. It's nice to see what all happened to Kris, and how it's actually effecting Scarlet right now.

"She must be trying to tell you something since she's sending you more and more vision."

It's visions.

Kris dodged out of the way, but it did succeed in cutting her arm, causing a trickled of blood to run down her skin.

And it's just trickle, not trickled.

Besides those two minor typos, everything else seemed good. I do have to say that the last scene seemed a bit off to me, however. Dialga and Palkia were mentioned once and never again while everyone was going about their talking and all, which seemed odd. Why weren't they doing...something? No one even seemed to notice them either, which seemed odd...

That aside, nice work. 15 chapters...I'm so behind. :p

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Dang, the forums ate my last post... >_<

As far as the scene with Dialga and Palkia goes, I guess I was going along with the assumption that since Mars had the Red Chain, she was able to keep the two beasts at bay until she ordered them to attack.

I'll fix those grammar errors. Thank you for reviewing!

Chapter sixteen up sometime before March.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Whew. This has to be the fastest chapter I have ever written. I happened upon a nice chunk of free time during my Comp. class this week, so I was able to write this (short) chapter. It's short, but it's got all of the events I wanted in this chapter. Hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 16
Blood

Scarlet's departure from Kris' vision coincided with Kris' departure down to the second. The chilly air inside the mountain cave wrapped around Scarlet, chilling her and reminding her of the icy spirits that she had left behind in the vision. She wasn't walking as she had been when she had left the vision that preceded the last one. She was standing still beside Kirio, who had a worried look on his face. She knew why.

"I'm okay," she said, holding up her hands and glancing at the lines etched into her skin. While she had been in her vision, they had turned blood red. A wave of panic started to creep over her, but was dissipated when the lines started to turn golden again. "I was just reacting to something in the vision, but I'm fine now." Scarlet looked up to meet Kirio's eyes. Apprehension had turned to panic and grief...but for whom?

"We're close to the temple...my God, I hope she doesn't give you that vision..."

------------

No...I can't do this.

It's the only way.

It is not!

We both had nightmares for months afterward. Why must we relive this?

You know why.

...It must be done.

------------

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Echoes...bouncing off of the walls...a voice? But not Kirio's...Her vision cleared. She wasn't beside Kirio anymore. A dimly lit chamber opened around her. A pool carved through the far wall glistened with a cold sheen. Runes lined the walls, all pointing to one ventral focus: A large carving of the power of dimension.

"Giratina," both she and Kris whispered at the same time. Purely coincidental, but the timing was haunting. Kris stood only a few feet away from Scarlet, her hand tracing the ruins that made up the drawing of Giratina. Scarlet felt a premonition bear down on her. Something was about to come from those walls...

As soon as that thought crossed her mind, Kris snatched back her hand from the wall, giving out a small cry. Scarlet expected her blood to run cold at the sight of the scarlet tide flowing from the walls, but instead, she felt a rush of exhilaration and a sense of excitement. It was all she could do to keep herself from reaching forward and immersing her hand in the warm liquid. Excitement turned to disgust and she realized what that action entailed. What was wrong with her? Kris whimpered and Scarlet's attention turned back to her. She had a feeling that they were still in Coronet, but within the mountain itself.

A loud crash of stone sliding alerted Scarlet's attention to the only two entrances to the chamber. Stone walls slid shut across the exits, sealing both Kris and Scarlet into the bloody chamber. Kris scanned the room, desperately trying to find a way out. The pool that lay on the other side of the chamber flowed through an orifice, possibly into another room. Kris approached the pool, but shrank back. The pool was no longer full of water. It was full of blood.

But it was their only way out.

Kris shivered and Scarlet closed her eyes against her urge to plunge into the stream. The experience would be unpleasant for Kris, but for Scarlet...it would just be plain disturbing. Kris inched forward, sliding into the pool of blood with a disgusted look. Scarlet followed after her, steeling herself for the sticky tide that would rise up around her. She and Kris had to duck underneath the bloody pool to get to the next room. Under any other circumstances, Scarlet would have thrown up as soon as they had emerged from the pool, but something was keeping her from being repulsed by the blood.

She and Kris stood in the second chamber, catching their breaths and calming their racing hearts down from their ordeal. Scarlet could see that Kris was extremely edgy; she continuously snapped her fingers together, causing sparks of energy to flare up into the air and illuminate the passageway in front of them. She sensed something.

Scarlet carefully followed Kris down through the passageway, running her hands over the ruins in the walls. Suddenly, Kris stiffened and stopped short. Scarlet turned and gasped. Behind them was Cyrus.

"Your curiosity has finally gotten the best of you," he addressed Kris. She didn't turn around, just stood still on the spot, shaking. "But, of course you could not control yourself from coming down here." He walked around her so that she could see him. She avoided his eyes. "You must have guessed by now that you are in the Temple of Dimension," he said. Kris glanced up and met his eyes, her hands, placed behind her back, shaking violently. Cyrus turned around to face the dark, empty passageway. "If you are so curious about Giratina, then you would to well to follow me into the main chamber." He started to walk down the passageway. Kris hesitated for only a moment before she followed after him. The meaning of the scene registered in Scarlet's mind and she dove in front of Kris, her hands splayed out in front of her in a desperate attempt to stop Kris from advancing.

"Wait! Don't..." No sooner had Scarlet spoken when Kris passed completely through her as if she were made of nothing but air. Cyrus could touch her, but Kris could not. Scarlet swung around to see him. He had turned around, responding to Scarlet's naive outburst.

"It's futile to try and stop what has already passed," he said, his steel grey gaze meeting Scarlet's light brown eyes. Scarlet felt mixed emotions rise up in her body. She wanted desperately to know Cyrus' secret, but at the same time, she was repulsed by his betrayal of Kris, especially when he was closely related to her. Her desperation won the small battle of wills.

"Why you are doing this?!" She shouted at him. "Why can you see me?" Her cries echoed off of the chamber walls, the sound obviously affected by the laws of physics in the vision. Or was it a vision? It seemed so...real...

Cyrus turned from her and continued to walk on. Scarlet was about to ask her questions again when he responded. "Trust me. I do not wish to relive this memory. She asked me to guide you in this vision...and others."

"What's happened to her?" Scarlet demanded, rushing to position herself beside him so that she could talk to him herself. Kris was completely forgotten, but in a past that would soon spell alarm for her. Scarlet's focus was now on Cyrus.

"She is trapped in another dimension and cannot communicate the reason why in a direct way. She is trying to tell you by giving you these memories. I would suggest that you focus on the visions and not my presence."

"But...can't you stop what you're about to do?" Scarlet's voice broke, her hesitation keeping her from voicing her question in a louder way.

"I cannot change what has already happened. Believe me when I say that I wish I could." The instant he expressed that wish, his eyes and expression changed. His eyes grew darker until they were as black as the unlit passageway behind them. His expression changed...not much, got he was expressionless, but he seemed...darker, more ominous somehow. He had obviously resigned himself to his fate, ignoring Scarlet's presence completely as he led Kris into another chamber.

This chamber was lined with marble, shiny enough to reflect Cyrus' and Kris' images, but not Scarlet's. The laws of physics behaved irrationally in this vision. Footsteps echoed throughout the room, but Scarlet’s were silent as she approached a large, round marble table in the middle of the chamber, drawn by the objects that had been placed in the grooves that ran along its surface. One she recognized as the Diamond Orb that Cyrus had stolen from Celestic. One was a light pink color. Scarlet assumed that it was the Pearl Orb, Palkia’s object. The third orb that rested on the table was a golden orb whose color matched the color of the lines that flowed across Scarlet’s skin.

Giratina.

The whisper was soft and short, but it made Scarlet shrink back from the table as she realized where she was. The place in reality that she and Kirio were searching for.

The Temple of Dimension.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

From all of the stories that she had told him of this place, Kirio truly did not wish to approach the marble chamber. Still, they needed answers and this would be one of the best places to get them.

As soon as they had entered the chamber, Scarlet walked forward to grasp the marble table in the middle tightly. She was still in her vision. Kirio looked away. That vision would be a painful one to watch. He was glad that he had not been anywhere near Coronet that day; otherwise, he would have had nightmares. He still had nightmares of that snowy day. Why did it feel like it had happened years ago when only a few weeks had passed?

He turned completely away from the table. He did not want that bloody image in his head.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Kris stood in the other side of the marble table right across from Scarlet. Her hands grasped the edges, her knuckles white as she gripped the cold marble harder and harder. Cyrus stood beside her, studying the ruins on the marble surface.

“Giratina is one of a few legendaries that requires a ritual such as this for it to appear,” he said. Kris closed her eyes, her hands shaking harder as she desperately tried to break free from her own mind that kept her there. “There are six things that must be present.” Kris’ eyes widened. “Yes...six. The Diamond, Pearl, and Opal Orbs. The Red Chain. The Temple of Dimension.

It was then that Scarlet saw what he held in his right hand. Her blood ran cold.

A knife.

“And the blood of the Chosen One.”

Kris let out a whimper that resounded through Scarlet’s head. She shrank back, her opinion of Cyrus turning darker each second. A large clock adorned the wall beside her, its hands rapidly approaching midnight.

“Why are you doing this?” Kris whispered as Cyrus stood behind her, sliding the knife into position across her throat and forcing her head up. Her Aquapolian crystal gaze seemed to meet Scarlet’s. Her eyes haunted her soul. Cyrus did not answer her until a few minutes later.

“It is time to end this world’s suffering at the hands of the Shadow. Sacrifices have to be made.” At that time, Cyrus looked up, his black eyes turning steel grey once again. Scarlet finally saw expression in his face. Regret and pain lined his eyes. He didn’t want this. His eyes faded back to black as midnight approached. Scarlet’s focus shifted back to Kris’ gaze.

Tears started to slide down Kris’ face.

“Help me...”

Midnight arrived.

Scarlet’s scream seemed to break all barriers of time and space.

Giratina...

The only legendary that thirsted for blood.

And it was a part of her being now.

Last edited: