• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aftershock

porygon181

Master of the Riddle
I swear. I am bad with time as it is, without you having all the wonky time jumps and metaphorical time and stuff. It's insanity.

Is it possible that I may have a connection thicker than memories to Amaren Kelanis? Anything I say to myself towards the contrary sounds like an empty lie, but why is it that I can’t see one fraction of his joys and sorrows? I can connect the dots; the overprotectiveness of his family leading to his thirst for accomplishment and action, his mind drowning the stagnant grief of their death by this very thirst and leading him to pokèmon training, and the collapse of this system when grief finally overpowered his nature and devastated him; I know every inch of his mind, but I can feel nothing that he felt.

Well that's just depressing. Again, this reminds me of Fred/Illyria, but unless you've educated yourself to their existence since the last time I mentioned them, you don't know what I mean. But I think this makes Luphinid quite interesting, especially since he basically denies actually feeling any of this, which ends up proving all of his "delirious musings" to be true.

Hm. That was confusing, even to me. I wish my mind worked in a linear fashion. And apparently, "overprotectiveness" isn't a word.

The description in this chapter was even better than usual, in my opinion. I suppose that may be because my brain isn't aching from one of your font-crazy surreal segments this time. =)

I could not remember Amaren/Luphinid ever seeing Sabrina before. I thought I remembered them battling some completely random person way back when he challenged Saffron, but I'll have to check. It's been a while since I read that... mostly all I remember now is the beautiful description of Psybeam.

I agree with Duncan's note about the last part being all deep and defining. It's so strange how Luphinid lives and thinks. He's quite an interesting character.

Anyways, I'll stop trying to confirm your doubts for now. Can't wait for the next chapter!

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
duncan:

Good chapter. A bit short, but it was plenty good enough to make up for that. But this is the next to last chapter? Oh great. XD

Wow, thank you. Someday I'll learn how not to have to justify a lack of quantity with quality; while the former is always better than the latter, the two together are ven better. And I have a tendency to announce the imminent end of a part barely seconds in advance, as evidenced in Rediscovery.

This was the defining moment in the chapter, for me. Sabrina was also quite interesting, but Luphinid's mindset right now really does interest me. Where his head is...we'll see next chapter.

From your implied expectations, I think it will be very contrary to what is expected.

porygon:

I swear. I am bad with time as it is, without you having all the wonky time jumps and metaphorical time and stuff. It's insanity.

It's not that complex. At least the time flow is linear so far. We merely have time jumps. That changes in the next chapter, but perhaps you didn't want to know that.

At least, it seems simple in my mind. Either the outside observer does not have a complete comprehension of the fiction, which is very likely because of my impossible vagueness, and we have the illusion of complexity on the part of the reader, or the fiction really is complex and it merely seems simple to the creator. While I would LIKE the latter possibility, the former should be more probable.

Well that's just depressing. Again, this reminds me of Fred/Illyria, but unless you've educated yourself to their existence since the last time I mentioned them, you don't know what I mean. But I think this makes Luphinid quite interesting, especially since he basically denies actually feeling any of this, which ends up proving all of his "delirious musings" to be true.

Hm. That was confusing, even to me. I wish my mind worked in a linear fashion. And apparently, "overprotectiveness" isn't a word.

Is the Fred/Illyria duality really like that? How interesting. I do believe that 'overprotectiveness' is a word, unless Answers.com is incorrect.

porygon181

Master of the Riddle
Is the Fred/Illyria duality really like that? How interesting. I do believe that 'overprotectiveness' is a word, unless Answers.com is incorrect.

It's pretty dang close, at least.

And the spellchecker is telling me that it's not a word. I couldn't tell you if it's right or not, since I seem to make a hobby of creating new words.

So yeah. Before I go, I just must stress how important it is that you learn of Fred and Illyria. It will change your life. XD

...And that's it. Peace out.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
porygon181: If you're that insistent, I'll look for a way to elighten my life with their existence...

Some notes on names:

Amaren Kelanis: This name is entirely irony. Amaren means ever-young, immortal, which is the exact opposite of the truth: From Luphinid's perspective he has entirely died out, being very mortal, and from Oak's perspective Amaren has aged, unrecognizably. Kelanis, on the other hand, is an obsolete title for a rank of village elders of his village, which have attained the peak of wisdom and greatness. In a way the full name can be seen to be oxymoronic, as Amaren is eternally young and Kelanis is infinitely old. The irony in the surname Kelanis is that Amaren is always treated as too young, green, and naive during his life in the village. I wanted to instill a tone of butter irony to the very theme of the story, and here was a way to do it. (By the way, as I have said before, these sounds come from no nationality but are merely aural equivalents of thoughts and ideas in my mind.

Ruki Ferena: No purpose here at all. The word "Ruki" seemed to ring with "Amaren", as in "Amaren and Ruki", for no reason that I can think of. Ferena was once again the idea of certain of her characteristics in my mind translated to sounds.

Kalens Oak: The word Kalens is a corruption of the older word Kelanis, and means about the same thing: wisdom and old age.

Ytarrik: Have I explained this before? Ytarrik was the name of my Kadabra in Yellow. It simply sounded like a Kadabra-like name. I recycled it here for reasons beyond myself.

Angin: Sounded like Agnes, which may or may not be, but certainly seems to me to be connected to fire. There was no more meaning to the word than that.

Akale: A very offensive, harsh sound (in my ears), though perhaps an anglicized accent makes it less harsh. Used to hint towards the Bellsprout's offensive quality durng battles, which is uncharacteristic in grass-types (or so I've heard).

Lepena: A corruption of Luphinid, which is a corruption of whatever line of words make the words Lupin and Lupine and all that. This, unlike most of my names, took its derivation from an actual existent word.

Remana: The opposite of Akale, a very subdued word using soft consonants. Also it sounds vaguely Quilava-like to me.

Ah, and a mystery solved: the reason Ruki has noble blue hair is because the new values of banishing asymmetry require a lot of breeding between supposed "high" and "low" blood, and every now and then a perfectly average child is born with characteristics which were once termed very noble or very ignoble. There is another reason, but I won't reveal it. (For some reason, I seem to be inadvertantly stressing on how the characters aren't actually special, only meaninglessly lucky, all throughout this fic. Perhaps I could have a minor theme on how this iis the very definition of specialness, and I'm only revealing this theme right now because it won't be any more obvious later on than it is now.)

Last edited:

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Last chapter of part two of Aftershock! I never thought we'd get this far. No further ado, of course...

Aftershock
Chapter 14: The Third Act of Seymul Colt​

The curtains of dusk fell over the glittering expanses, lowering their peace into the city.

It was an unusual night for the city of Saffron, and as the last rigid finger of the sun faded out of existence, those human carriers of light and life did not intensify in response to the retreating warmth but settled into slumber. The darkness was peace, release from the curse of perpetual motion. It was the inaction delivered to those weary beyond thought and emotion of the vain pursuits of life.

Not a single soul would reveal itself to winged passers-by, except me.

My ancient cloak seemed despicably shabby in contrast to my past extravagancies, but something about it seemed to cohere well with my ragged thoughts. I had never felt before how removed my assimilation was now from my self, and as it trailed behind me long chains of liquid shadow, thriving on the gloom, I felt no fraction of the crimson power that pulsed through my body but a hopeless impotency, knowing (as I had always known) that the Dark blood had never truly dissolved in my blood, that it was always a parasite on the vessel of my body. And I indulged in the occasional push into the moonlight, feeling my old strength stir marginally from its dead faint.

Wait a moment.

Do you see, reader? Do you see what I see? The narrative thus far is a reworded replica of an earlier chapter, eternities ago—here, I have it! Chapter Four, within that excerpt of memory I had found hovering around thoughts of that night, which I had speculated may have been a forgotten—and remembered—dream. “Night lowered its peace into the turrets of the forest of shimmering steel.” Ingenious!

And now I know everything, every mystery of my life has been revealed to me. The effects of an exceptional telepathic bond with a psychic-type dreams are taunting me with their omniscience. knew it from the beginning, and never thought a moment of it, as though it was something else entirely. it was indeed, but why hadn’t I known? why hadn’t I known? why hadn’t I known?

Over the course of nearly two hundred years, Saffron City had shed nearly all its old apparel for newer trends, and the early shift from style to functionality had been only temporary. In Amaren’s time the famous steel skyscrapers dominated the casual observer’s attention, towering over the rows of identical, symmetric grey apartment flats and the efficiently active district centres, which clustered respectfully around the more ancient relics. I do not remember the monotony glaring on the senses then, each perfectly carved rectangle of plot rather implying a disciplined dedication towards a higher purpose—and the possibility of attaining such a goal deeply enthralled me then, key as it was to the first phase of maturity. (I know now the futility of such a journey and the foolish demise of those who chase it, for they are finite and their imaginary omnipotence infinite.) And all inclinations towards progress did nothing to inhibit the glory of past memories and their relics: the ancient peaks were still revered, their strengths appreciated with neither fanaticism nor lukewarm regard.

But the city had aged as I did, and foreseen the inevitable failure in their paths, though it lacked the complete knowledge I knew. Its sculptors rediscovered the ancient arts and built from there, understanding eventually all the older shortcomings but one: they had ridiculed their young naiveté but never escaped from it, they had elected to put aside the impossible dream of infinity but never truly done so, and, once labelled a canker, it spread through their cores as any canker would do. It breathed in their every breath and lived in each new work of art they accomplished, waiting for the moment they would fall and lose all their long hours of work, and despite all their efforts to the contrary this would mean everything to them.

Enough rambling from this aged husk. For the little time of my continued existence I had the luxury of seeing the city reach its peak, and knowing its inevitable downfall only in foresight. What a glorious peak it was! The great modern fortress constituted now not of steel but glass, a transparent mimic of glass created from some complex man-made compounds, and its glory was given full justice only at night—my time. The delicate twinkle of starlight fell onto the central spire of antiquated Silph Co. and was amplified to spread out in every direction, moving through complex pathways which somehow harnessed that faint beauty to illuminate the entire city.

Yet, I was never deprived of my dingy warehouses and dark alleys, for I suspect complete illumination came only at day. There were voids, inky passages and dark pools, in which only so much light entered as to be received by my sensitive eyes, and the necessary low life of the city had never been demolished, only demoted to an unseen underground floor in mimicry of Goldenrod across high Mt. Silver.

It was along the higher and lighter passageways that I flitted this particular midnight, and the sheer darkness was broken every now and then by wavering points of blurred white, partially focused starlight, a diamond’s flash or a shard of the pearly moon reflecting off high surfaces to blind the traveller’s startled eyes. How I would have loved to cup the otherworldly fluid in my hands, ignoring the spikes of pain! But I was beginning to abhor this not only physically, but in my very essence.

I entered the third offshoot of Apricorn Alley, and turned right on the first intersection thrice, before moving instantly through the pool of utter black and stopping short.

As the high walls fell away, I saw once again the open field of the reconstructed Pokèmon Laboratory, cradled in the mountains of innovation. Despite the two centuries of age, the only change this timeless scene suffered today was in me.

For my time was drawing to a close, I knew it without proof, and as my parasite sought about in frenzy for continued existence its host’s frenzy was of glee. I had high plans for my finale, and they would have to rest only a while longer.

Luphinid Remana Silnaek glided into the penultimate chord of his journeys.

It was in the older stretches of the pokèmon hold that I found him, as he paced along the masses of shelves and their thousand ancient pokèballs, wasting away the eternity. Recalling my instincts, I tailed his tottering figure for minutes with only faint signs to announce my presence, and the parasite laughed quietly as the professor tried to banish that invisible shadow of terror. At last, overtaking him, I materialized inches before his face.

“Hello, Professor Oak,” said the cat to the mouse.

“Amaren!” he stuttered. “You shouldn’t have frightened me like that…what were you thinking…”

“Oh, just my games,” I dismissed. “I must say, professor, you’re looking in fine form today.”

The ancient man was staring a fair few inches to my left, witless entirely. I looked into his erratic eyes to see tiny points of milky white at the centre of each iris.

“Fine form,” he repeated, “fine form… yes…”

“Do you know,” I supplied, “your speculations were right? All the way back. The telepathic bond between Amaren Kelanis and Ytarrik stimulated psychic activity in the human, albeit aimlessly. I foresaw this very scene before it happened! You must remember, I was relating it to you shortly after we met Lepena, I should think.”

The researcher stood dumbfounded for a moment, his expression not comprehending. I stared at him, and blinked.

At the reopening of my eyelids stood a different man, old but wise, commanding—the true Kalens Oak. He had decided to end his own games.

“Of course!” he said in scholarly fervour. ”The most common manifestation of inadvertently stimulated psychic abilities is premonitory dreaming. It’s very likely that Ytarrik’s fascination with his own future sparked a similar interest in your subconscious, inevitably resulting in a series of partially forgotten dreams very similar to events in your future. And the gap in yours and your past self’s memories would make the dream appear as though of another person entirely. You knew it all along, Lu—Amaren!”

He paused to regard me with a direct, firm look of scrutiny.

“And what business led you to my home today?” he asked. “You never come unless it’s business.”

“Why, of course, professor. I want you to tell me a story.”

“The story? Why on earth would you want to listen to the story?”

“Well, why not?”

“You’ve already heard it fifteen times already! Surely it’s getting old.”

“Oh, no, this time will be different. This time, I want you to tell me the whole story. Complete, unabridged, in the original manuscript.”

His amiable expression fell. He sighed. “All right, then. I suppose we should begin. It’s not even technically a story, you know that?

“It was at his one hundred and ninety-sixth year that Seymul Colt received the final warning and was alerted to the rapid disintegration of his body within two months’ time. Understanding the effects of such a time upon a righter’s body, he decided to perform his final righting: Anomaly 0A1. He had suffered at the hands of this wrong early in his life, before he was introduced to his profession, and he felt it fitting that he would end this elusive mother of all wrongs, given the highest rank in the anomaly nomenclature for the four earlier masters of righting who had failed to eliminate it.

“As I have told you more than twenty times, the difference between an existence and a consciousness in the theoretic plane is that the consciousness has self-evolving mechanisms which make both its capacities and its contents infinite. There is a time restriction, of course, as with all constructs, but otherwise the amount of energy and thought curled into systems within its core is infinite. However, to compensate, surrounding the great network of purposes is a void of purpose.”

As could be expected, thoughts within a construct were assembled and kept together by shapes taken by the very fabric of the plane called purposes, like to the warping of space-time which produces gravity. These organized the raw energy into distinct purposes, hence the name. Scientists of this field had been confused by a species of greater super-purposes which seemed to encompass entire semiplanes within the theoretic plane, organizing nothing at all.

“This void of purpose is still utilized by the consciousness to store the rare thought or idea which it can find no place for within the mind. Under any three boundary conditions, however, while the consciousness is halfway between any three pairs of states, for unknown reasons a generator construct is created which spreads its purpose through the mind’s void of purpose and uses the stray thoughts and emotions to create a new unstable consciousness. This consciousness usually disintegrates within milliseconds, and the generator, deprived of energy, also falls apart.”

This would be digested keeping in mind that a generator was a construct which swallowed raw energy within its proximity circle of purpose and spat out a fully-formed consciousness.

“However, in certain cases there is enough thought hanging in the void to supply the generator with just enough energy to create a more stable organism, termed Missingno. This remains existent so long that it is indeed projected onto our complex plane, at which point it wreaks havoc.”

Perhaps hypocritically, I held up a hand. “Stop,” I said, “this is where you always skip ahead. You try to make it look seamless, but I know you’re hiding something.”

“If you can’t find it yourself, I see no reason to waste a perfect opportunity.”

“Are you coming to abuse now, professor?”

“You know it’s not that. You’ve done many things in the past, but this is a step too far. I won’t let you destroy yourself righting anomaly 0A1! Men greater than you have tried and failed.”

Something rose within me, an Ursaring stirring from a hibernation of one hundred and seventy years. “What do you mean…?”

“Only a reminder, dear Amaren. I can’t allow—“

“It’s about allowance, is it?” I shouted. “Have TWO HUNDRED YEARS given me no right over myself? Am I still little Amar, too young to touch the forest outskirts? I learned to handle an anomaly when I was barely out of puberty! And now you tell me YOU WON’T ALLOW—“

“’Can’t’, Amaren, not ‘won’t’,” he interrupted as calmly as possible, looking at me with bewilderment showing around the corners of his mask.

“What difference does it make? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? WHAT DIFFERENCE IN ANY PLANE, HIGH OR LOW, DOES IT make?”

As my anger fell into the lowliness of deep sorrow, I felt the bitter tang of tears roll down my face, and suddenly I was weeping like a fool with not an idea why.

Wordlessly, my mentor moved forward, offering the necessary—but, in an instant, I was myself again, with a glint in my eye visible to myself.

“You will tell me what conditions are required to supply the anomaly with enough thought to create Missingno.” I said this all coolly, without a hint of emotion on my face but a dangerous look in those luminous eyes.

“I will not,” he said firmly.

“You will tell me what conditions are required to supply the anomaly with enough thought to create Missingno.” I repeated, advancing on the shorter figure by inches.

“Now, listen here, Amaren…”

“I will listen only to what is necessary, no less, no more.”

As the vapours around me thickened, drawing myself to my full height, I required only the momentary tighten of the professor’s expression to prove to me that I had taken on a positively menacing appearance, such as to faze the very pokèmon professor of Kanto.

“What are the conditions?”

He had backed into a wall, shelves on either side and I before him. I focused Mightyena blood into one palm, unfeeling of the difference between my assimilation and I.

What,” said I, “are the conditions?”

I dug my fist into the wall, a hair’s length away from the professor’s chest, and the shelves around me rocked. Pokèballs shook, rocked, dislodged from their places to come tumbling down and release their pokèmon, which tensed at the feel of my foul presence.

“Have you really come to this?” said my prisoner. “Then I no longer care. The most effective condition to bring about Missingno. is Dissociative Identity Disorder.”

It was only seconds later that he regained his cool, realized his mistake. But I was already out, a solitary figure on my great black Noctowl.

[{//\/\/\/\/\//\\//\\//\/\/\|/|\|/\/\/\\//\\//\\/\/\/\/\/\//}]​

Ytarrik, faithful beyond compare, was waiting for me outside the city, privy to the entire tale. Ytarrik, Ytarrik, the base of my sanity, what would I do without him! What would I do without everyone who had touched me over my life? Their friendships with me had been severed by my cynicism, and now I had nothing, nothing but my Ytarrik.

I allowed him tenure in a portion of my mind, as I had so often done, and his familiar presence filled its accustomed niche within my own. In unison, I dove back into the recesses of my own mind, and he asserted himself more and more greatly, beyond all possible laws. He filled me with his very existence, layers upon layers of thought and memories piling into my own, until he was me, and I was him, but it was a terrible, dissociated unity. The dead husk of the Kadabra fell silently along its side.

Upon unspoken decision, I pushed his consciousness to the outer reaches, my void of purpose, and he relented in his instinctual resistance as long a possible. I stood, swaying unsteadily, and thrust control over all my faculties.

And suddenly I was invincible! I had the Dark element in my veins, and shadow never disappears, only flits back into non-existence to await the next fall of the light.

I flitted through the air, taking full advantage of my godly abilities, and arrived at the topmost peak of Silph Co., settling onto the crow’s nest of the great crystal ship. My flesh was open to the elements and the lights, but nothing mattered—I was invincible. I rose to my full height, dredging up all the gargantuan extent of my power—

—and saw a second figure beside me.

I stand here, removed from all creation, looking down on the frozen scene and those two immortal sculptures, the one uncertain and the other assured, as though nothing had happened, as though the beginning had never progressed into the end and it played out eternally now, then, forever in the future—the fire could not burn me [and my deadened heart quickens again as I see the lost half of my self returned to li f e—]

A figure several heads below me, little more than thirteen, with the palest blue and the finest porcelain

And they seem almost real as the pale hands I hold to my eyes this moment, the poison in their blood entirely obscured from view under a mask of blank white, and it is so easy to believe, for seconds at a time, that the hulking shadow and the nimble sunlight are reunited, [but one is a ghost and the other dead,]

nearly | identical to the subtle stars above were those twinkling eyes, and such a smile! enough to mask the truth at the core, the demonic grin of a desiccated corpse

What does she say? It is little more than a whisper. [Bend closer, for the sake of heaven!]

As my physical and my mental, my present and my past, my self and my intruder’s selves spiralled together to meet their inevitable fool’s demise at Ruki’s core, I bent down, lowering my ear, to hear:

”Jump.”

We’re falling, now, and though all the world rushes past us the cold, unyielding ground is only rising to us with open arms. As I come into the exactly calculated cue, I am dead between human and pokèmon, between life and death, between reality and illusion, for what do the onlookers in the street see but a pair of illusory ghosts? From the shattered pieces of my soul (glimmering madly off the thousand separate surfaces in the buildings around me) shoot fire and brimstone of the depths of the earth and the heights of heaven, but their creator is fading into unobtrusive non-existence, as his parasite releases him to play with every physical and moral law conceivable and wreak havoc. The slumbering white embers of the stars ignite to black flame, a tornado emerging to rage around my eerie peace.

Adrenaline rushes to stir a new peak of power within me, and I am more alive than I have ever been before, and so close to sweet release. The delicate glass towers are ripped apart by the assimilation’s force, my force, the force of Missingno. itself. And these two spectres laugh madly, gleefully, for they know that my endeavour is impossible, but who can care? Only twenty seconds more, and I shall be complete.

An instant before my body hits the pavement, the complete termination of all my functions ensues:

Sleep, oblivion…

…and then thought.

Existence.

TO BE CONTINUED​

Last edited:

duncan

Wow. After reading this chapter (your best, I'd say) I wrote a very long review, which Serebii promptly ate. Yeah. So, I'll give you the condensed version.

I immensely enjoyed it, no doubt. The atmosphere was spot on, and the writing was as good as ever. And talk about cliffhangers...now THAT'S what I like to see!

Yet, I was never deprived of my dingy warehouses and dark alleys, for I suspect complete illumination came only at day. There were voids, inky passages and dark pools, in which only so much light entered as to be received by my sensitive eyes, and the necessary low life of the city had never been demolished, only demoted to an unseen underground floor in mimicry of Goldenrod across high Mt. Silver. It was along the higher and lighter passageways that I flitted this particular midnight, and the sheer darkness was broken every now and then by wavering points of blurred white, partially focused starlight, a diamond’s flash or a shard of the pearly moon reflecting off high surfaces to blind the traveller’s startled eyes. How I would have loved to cup the otherworldly fluid in my hands, ignoring the spikes of pain! But I was beginning to abhor this not only physically, but in my very essence.

The only problem I could find. No, the description was spot on here. It's just that it was quite a block of text. Perhaps splitting it into smaller paragraphs would help. A small nitpick, however.

“I will listen only to what is necessary, no less, no more.”

As the vapours around me thickened, drawing myself to my full height, I required only the momentary tighten of the professor’s expression to prove to me that I had taken on a positively menacing appearance, such as to faze the very pokèmon professor of Kanto.

“What are the conditions?”

He had backed into a wall, shelves on either side and I before him. I focused Mightyena blood into one palm, unfeeling of the difference between my assimilation and I.

What,” said I, “are the conditions?”

I dug my fist into the wall, a hair’s length away from the professor’s chest, and the shelves around me rocked. Pokèballs shook, rocked, dislodged from their places to come tumbling down and release their pokèmon, which tensed at the feel of my foul presence.

“Have you really come to this?” said my prisoner. “Then I no longer care. The most effective condition to bring about Missingno. is Dissociative Identity Disorder.”

It was only seconds later that he regained his cool, realized his mistake. But I was already out, a solitary figure on my great black Noctowl.

This was...intense. I liked this part, more than the rest of the chapter, simply because the way he snapped like that.

An instant before my body hits the pavement, the complete termination of all my functions ensues:

Sleep, oblivion…

…and then thought.

Existence.

There's a cliffhanger to leave us on. *glowers* Now...what to expect in the next part...

I have no clue. XD Well, I have vague ideas, but nothing solid enough to base a good theory around. You've left us many questions, and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Great job, Luphinid (nice name change, BTW. It'll probably take a while to get used to, though. XD). Can't wait to see what happens next.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Wow. After reading this chapter (your best, I'd say) I wrote a very long review, which Serebii promptly ate. Yeah. So, I'll give you the condensed version.

Ah, of course! The forums are always hungry for good posts. I back up my longer posts in a note, myself, before attempting to post it--in case something happens. Opera works well for this.

The only problem I could find. No, the description was spot on here. It's just that it was quite a block of text. Perhaps splitting it into smaller paragraphs would help. A small nitpick, however.

You're right, the two topics discussed there are too separate to be clumped together. Good eye.

There's a cliffhanger to leave us on. *glowers* Now...what to expect in the next part...

I have no clue. XD Well, I have vague ideas, but nothing solid enough to base a good theory around. You've left us many questions, and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Oh, go on, duncan. You know you've left us a thousand times more cliffhangers in your inhumanly plotty sagas. In case it may seem that way (to the general audience), I don't believe I am dragging the storyline on for the sake of longevity. The first two and the third part may seem worlds apart, but I will give a little sense of perspective: take mostly everything from the seven chapters after the Bridge, and everything but the foreshadowing and loose ends from the chapters before, and in comparison to the third part this is all nearly inconsequential. The size of all the parts remains an exact seven chapters, but it's only from now that the actual point of the story is revealed and the main plot begins. Messed up, I know.

Oh, and if you noticed, I never expressly said this was the "last chapter" of the story. Everything I said in the past about this chapter is entirely true, this being the end of the second part and the end of Luphinid's life, but it implied that the story was ending. I love these half-truths, I do.

Well, thank you for saying this is my finest chapter yet. I did try hard to make it an adequate finalè to such an illustrious life.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Wheel, then, my unproclaimed hiatus is over. As before, there will be a separator between the second and third parts, rather like the Bridge, except much less of a bridge. Here follows an intenseley enlightening and lucid account which should open up a thousand more questions and answer exactly none. Ah, and I do apologize for the burst of ego in my last post. It may not seem like ego, but these are the first signs of disturbance. Of course, as hard as I may have worked for the chapter, it was ghastly and imperfect and not a very good finale at all, and you were only complementing me for the sake of encouragement. (This is, if anyone's confused, my custom-made mindset to guard against stagnation. Must improve!)

[the unedited]​

Breathe.

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Breath is existence. Breath is lif—

I do not live. No blood warmth pain pumping through my veins. What is this? I have felt lived endured all, but never this. I feel only the airiest of emotion, I think without vehicle for my thoughts. i have felt all

What have I felt? Blackness and the stars emerge, fire, death, brimstone, THE FINAL UPSURGE BEFORE THE END, THE LAST AND GREATEST STRUGGLE OF THE DYING INSECT but the flared flames are fading back into cold, simmering obscurity, and what do I see, what is it there beyond the passions, what rings quietly but assuredly at my core—

Am I conscious now? I feel it, and I know it to be true. Deathlike creatures, swimming for me now Speech! Thought beyond me and my thoughts. I can hear their speech, and the external influence comprehensible adapting to comprehension of external speech, adapting to comprehension of external speech, adapting to comprehension of external speech… I understand this at the vestiges of my brain, hardly enough to grasp my thought onto.

I know you, I feel something within you, something related to your essence, and Is this the continuation of life, the mortal laws the bounds imperfections necessities falling away for all my dreams to come forth?

Ah, no. But how? Is it so?

Elevation into death over predestined encounters, strange being amazing. Why are there upheavals all around me? Chance makes me the rain god, and is it all luck? I don’t understand at all. Why must I be the odd one out, and how? Explain, explain, explain, explain.

It was all a play? A complete human life only a tiny, unessential portion of a greater system? Where is the reason, then? It has not ended, has it? I have been prolonged, and there must be reason underlying! Just my luck that the backlash of the anomaly should whip me at that exact angle, just my luck that the unhealthy fascination should take root, should precede my parasite and the parasite should succeed it? And you—it was a world of its own to me, a thing so meaningful and complete that there is no other word for it but life. Did it mean nothing? IS THERE NO GOD, NO GOD, EVERYTHING BUT A GOD? IS IT ALL RANDOMNESS?

I require some time to myself.

duncan

That didn't take that long (a couple of weeks?), but you won't see me complaining. This was...interesting, no doubt. Perhaps a little shorter than I might have liked, but it is a bridge between the books so that's okay.

However...it was somewhat confusing. I know you meant it to be that way, as it did have a very dramatic feel. But...I had to reread it to fully understand it.

Not a big deal, though. It did, as you said, raise many more questions and answer none of them. I'm very curious as to where Luphinid is. Is he inbetween the world and the afterlife? I can only guess, but that appears to be the case.

I apologize for the harsh review, but it was quite interesting. The next book (or saga, whichever you wish to call it) will be very good, no doubt.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
That didn't take that long (a couple of weeks?), but you won't see me complaining.

The unedited didn't take too long, but the real question is whether I'll get Chapter 15 down on schedule. I might have rushed into this without thinking it out, though I wonder if it could have gone any other way. The events to come are very muddled even in my own mind.

However...it was somewhat confusing. I know you meant it to be that way, as it did have a very dramatic feel. But...I had to reread it to fully understand it.

Ah, yes... confusion, my bane. Originally I was meaning to post this on a Wednesday, but I missed the deadline. Taking that system, it would be only three more days before the next chapter, which would explain about everything that the unedited confused the reader about.

I'm very curious as to where Luphinid is. Is he inbetween the world and the afterlife? I can only guess, but that appears to be the case.

Of course, there is no afterlife in Aftershock. The soul, after dying, goes to decay into raw energy like the body. (I wonder if I've ever actually explained that in the fiction.) From a certain perespective one could say he was between the afterlife and life all through his life, since he repeatedly righted, which decayed his soul partially through various ways.

Oh, and if you feel the vibe of a particular song in the chapter, I'm not plagiarizing! Think of it as a humble tribute by a fanatic fan of the band.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Well, this turned out rather badly. I shall have to revise this someday... Somewhat short, but at least it clears some things up. If you notice, chapters no longer have names. This is deliberate.

And if you see the writing slipping into unnecessary verbose-ity, I do apologize. For some reason, I was being compelled to write things in as hefty terms as I could. I suppose there is no problem as long as the terms are used correctly, but you never know...

Aftershock
Chapter 15​

Despite myself, I cannot but quote the ancient line: “The plot thickens,” indeed.

Here, of course, I would begin anew a tirade over the exact species of depression I should indulge in, and also the consistency with which I should uphold my twisted code. But really, I should have begun practising cutting myself long ago, and making this account in my own split blood. My, I do know how to whine.

More soberly, any emotional theme which has ruled a man for an amount of time eventually begins seeming foolish, thoughtless, and no longer as desirable as it once had been. I feel that my phase of most depression is passing—my cynicism shall persevere, as will my moodiness, but the exact longing and subsequent thoughts at failing to realize this will die out. And the reason for this, since I am writing an account, I believe the reader has a right to know.

I am in fact at something of a loss. The only accounts I have yet written in this notebook are embellished versions of what I know from memory, complete with exaggerations and severe revisions (to impart in them the drama which, perhaps, they lacked in reality). Having had the offending conversation mere minutes ago, I wonder how to proceed. I suppose I shall treat it with all the usual ornamentation.

The seeming limbo I lay within was in fact no limbo but merely affected me with all the usual apathy. Nothing moved in me but a sloshing sense of nothingness, a feeling which wiped away all emotion and thought by the paradoxical method of filling me with its emptiness. But yet, the laws of nature could never be breached—

My God, I should learn to narrate as I experience! The usual limits of time and effort seem not to apply in this plane. (I have entirely forgotten to explain: this notebook being of the useful sort which will connect telepathically to the mind and record the most conscious thoughts within at the current time, it can remain connected to me regardless of my physical position, as it is like all other technology of this age: it operates on the theoretic plane, in which space and time are relative to not merely the attributes of matter but thought itself. It seems that the telepathic link remained as I crossed over—ah, but I’m getting ahead of myself!)

I should explain the state of events with no attempts at literary flora, and then think of creating a third account of my life with any organization, let alone beauty.

But, sweet hell, this is extraordinary! I feel some ******* son of my earlier excitement at the events to come, though I know all shall fail in the end. It turns out the reward for failing to right the anomaly was not death, after all. It turns out Missingno. is no anomaly in the first place! It is a portal to be opened at will, for the transport of ascended beings between different planes.

Perhaps I have exaggerated in my excitement. Death is not always the complete demolition of the soul and body. Seemingly at random, though in truth according to the needs of the world’s deterministic fate, a soul is allowed a different state of existence: it is copied onto the fabric of a sub-plane in the theoretic plane in the form of purpose. This equates in my mind to a stunning fact: the seemingly useless super-purposes which span over a sub-plane whole are souls, immortal and ancient, having been transcended into their existence after death. It was inconceivable that purpose could interact with itself as energy does, that furthermore it could handle the mathematical functions required to elevate its form into infinity, but somehow it can; and the result is before me right now, the result is me.

Missingno., then, is the bridge between the complex and the theoretic plane. It is a law of fate that those who encounter it are destined for transcendence. (I have been told that transcendence is as wrong a term for it as can possibly be, but I can not see how.) This evades the rather dangerous problem of asymmetry—the ethical and physical laws against the existence of ‘chosen ones’—by having the rate of the ‘choosing’ of the subjects be just enough that all energy within the universe is chosen sometime within its existence. And souls have meaning only during their existence as souls; ultimately and originally, they are but meaningless energy!

They are but meaningless energy.

How sordid: my elation was from the supposed knowledge that I was special, as though I truly believed my transcendence was due to some greater quality within myself. Such a thought, impossibly, evades all possibilities of divinity and wallows in utter lowliness; it is not the arrogant ego of a godly king, and neither is it a hope for greatness in the squalid world, for all possibilities of sweetness on its part are washed away by its vanity. It is a miracle in itself!

To demonstrate my pointlessness and the world’s pointlessness, if you have not yet made the connection (and your wit is godly if you have not), Ruki, who is arguably the base of my life, was not the divine angel I placed her to be. She had not even the position of a common human. It was one of these ancient beings, a creature by this very name, who for blasted reasons unknown to me projected herself onto the complex plane in the form of a human life and somehow laid waste to my existence. I would[n’t] have been better off without her!

Even so, it is undeniable (when I cool) that some unhealthy fascination is inevitable. Having been parted from a dear friend for such a time, her sudden reappearance, though less perfect than the knowledge of her direct resurrection, causes some amount of interest.

Along this vein, I extend my strange new non-physical existence to touch the mind of ‘Ruki’, calling for conversation. Immediately, alien thoughts press against me [is he conceding] [far too early] and the sudden embrace (for no word is close to its extremeness in intimacy) sends shudders of discomfort through me, even though I’ve lived with Ytarrik for centuries..

We stand before each other [is that even possible] [it seems like standing], awkward as two old correspondents entirely out of touch. No amount of social discourse has prepared me for such an incident.

[Look—]

[Erm—]

[I mean…]

I was going to begin, I had finally thought of a beginning! But she accidentally interrupted me, and I had no choice but to stop to allow her to speak, and so had she.

And these very thoughts rebound into her mind as soon as they began in mine. If I can see her mild reaction to them, she can immediately sense my embarrassment at this.

[Perhaps we should get into a more comfortable situation to talk,] said she.

Dry humour! Sweet hell, humour is the mood for such a situation!

She puts her imaginative faculties in full charge of her senses, noting my mild interest at such a novel technique, and watches as a life-sized night scene defines itself around us.

The air is balmy, tangy with the faint smell of salt, and a cool dark sea laps gently against the shimmering beach below us. From this low-hanging cliff, framed and perfumed by unseen flowers, the wall [irony] behind us is a gentle reassurance of our safety, and the breathtaking vista of the open sea, lit by a full moon, thrills our senses. How inconvenient—the notebook is reading my thoughts before I wish them to enter paper.

I turn to my left, and a thirteen-year-old girl with glittering blue hair and eyes is smiling faintly back at me. I remark, with the greatest solemnity:

[My God! Do you have no sensibilities, lady?]

The smile droops away most satisfactorily.

[What do you mean, is it not beautiful?]

[That doesn’t matter, does it? This very scene has been used in a million films, books and other sundry media before, and in ways so sickeningly constructive and sweet that I shudder at their thought! But carry on; it’s only a physical handicap. What was I about to ask?]

[You were about to ask me something?]

[Oh, right—tell me, what really did compel you to come to the complex plane and ruin my life?]

She doesn’t like the words I use to express myself, I can see that, though the telepathic link has now subsided to near-subconsciousness.

She gives an undefined equivalent of a sigh. “It’s a long story, and I won’t bore you with all the details. If you have the patience, however, I can tell you about it.”

“Sure, it’s not like there is anything left to do anymore.”

It’s a long story, I can also see that; it seems like millennia (and might as well be) before she can marshal her thoughts suitably. [when] [when] [what] [when will she] [Will she finish?]

“As all of us here in this plane, I have a… duty to fulfil.” She pauses, and a variety of adult emotions move through her heart and eyes, highlighting the unsuitability of a child’s form for this exercise. I have never done such a thing as create a ready illusion with which to clothe my naked mind, but I can already see she is doing the job most poorly.

“I took this duty with lukewarmness. Felt it was being overwhelming, and so I attempted to escape from it for a while. I was yearning for the carelessness of childhood so deeply, it seemed, that when I had irresponsibly cast myself into a human life in the complex plane, my earlier cares hardly clashed with my feigned personality. If anyone had done the research, it would be obvious that in the twelfth century an aristocrat had been born with the name of Ruki and scientifically determinably identical genetic characteristics to mine, but no one did.”

“And was it the cruel will of fate,” say I, “that you happened to meet me?”

“We are all sensitive to the various undertones of the world, especially those of us who practice this affinity. I must have subconsciously gravitated to you because of the knowledge that, for lack of a better term, you had a high destiny.”

She pauses, makes it clear that her pause is a stop entirely. And when I can think of nothing to say, instinct kicks in.

“Don’t insult my intelligence: that was hardly a long story. What did you cut out?”

Idiot! This is to be said to close friends, confidants to the extreme. The uncertainty spreads over her face as she suffers an internal battle: what, I cannot say. [i care nothing at all for her comfort, but such a blunt remark goes against the sensibilities, does it not?]

I’m fumbling mentally with words, can’t find the correct thing to say! At last, a few useless words spew out of my mouth. “And you say my destiny is high?”

“Well, of course. Missingno. itself is the most unorthodox way to transfer anyone to this plane; it’s meant for those who have already transferred, who had come to the complex plane for some business and wish to return. Somehow, you are very important. This is undeniable.”

“And what happens with what I want? Life was almost too much for me when I went after 0A1. I thought I would finally die! And I’m sent packing back into existence, with just a little more tolerance, and asked to live happily with this for eternity?”

I couldn’t control myself; these thoughts had been suppressed in some unholy corner of my mind for aeons, and they took release at any opportunity, however irrelevant. I had never confided them to a living being in all of creation. I raved for a while more, slipping into greater nonsense, until I finally found the good sense to close my illusory mouth. Thankfully, she seemed resigned to my irritability and braced for verbal assault.

We’re both silent now, looking into space. Where did this conversation fall into a tangent and a spiral down to hell? I have an overwhelming desire to steer it back to stability.

“So how do you cope with your immortality?” I asked, far more gently and receptively.

Somehow, we’re closer to the old times, and these must mean absolutely nothing to Ruki, though it means mind-numbingly everything to me! But none of this seems to matter, and the blasted curse of gentle thought blinds me to the pitfalls of bonding.

Is it worrying or thrilling that she feels the very same? “Of course, our matter is changed when we transfer. Eventually, though it is a little shaky, we become entirely tolerant of eternity.”

You’re still hiding something, but I’ll wait. I’ll hold my tongue, I’ll let it come, I won’t force it.

She smiled, and I suppressed triumph. “I can testify that the process of gaining tolerance is shaky, at best. I do remember those days: I was to be hanged, being a rich noblewoman in the revolution, and I had done such a job of resigning myself to death that I couldn’t handle eternal life. Those were the days, those were the days… If you want, I’ll tell you all about it.”

Could I not learn of her life, and settle the score of knowledge? We could become equals again.

Last edited:

duncan

I've got to say, very good chapter. I quite enjoyed it, though I was a couple days late. I'll get straight to it, then.

First, however, let me say something.

Of course, there is no afterlife in Aftershock. The soul, after dying, goes to decay into raw energy like the body. (I wonder if I've ever actually explained that in the fiction.) From a certain perespective one could say he was between the afterlife and life all through his life, since he repeatedly righted, which decayed his soul partially through various ways.

Yes, of course. I'm sure you did explain, I just forgot. Thanks for explaining it.

Now on to the real review.

Here, of course, I would begin anew a tirade over the exact species of depression I should indulge in, and also the consistency with which I should uphold my twisted code. But really, I should have begun practising cutting myself long ago, and making this account in my own spilt blood. My, I do know how to whine.

Typo in bold. The main reason I quoted this particular part was the first sentence. I understand how Luphinid is thinking, but this is the easiest way to show you how confusing it can get sometimes. I can (usually) understand it, but I believe it is the main reason why you don't get nearly enough reviews (especially for such an excellent fiction). I'll say more about this later, but it is certainly something you should try and work on.

As I lay within a seeming limbo, which was in fact no limbo but merely affected me with all the usual apathy. Nothing moved in me but a sloshing sense of nothingness, a feeling which wiped away all emotion and thought by the paradoxical method of filling me with its emptiness.

Long sentence here. Should be cut into two where bolded, I'd say. The main reason I pointed it out, however, was because you missed a word in the first bit. Read it and you'll see what I mean.

I feel like some ******* son of my earlier excitement at the events to come, though I know all shall fail in the end.

Missed a word here.

Perhaps I have exaggerated in my excitement. Death is not always the complete demolition of the soul and body. Seemingly at random, though in truth according to the needs of the world’s deterministic fate, a soul is allowed a different state of existence: it is copied onto the fabric of a sub-plane in the theoretic plane in the form of purpose. This equates in my mind to a stunning fact: the seemingly useless super-purposes which span over a sub-plane whole are souls, immortal and ancient, having been transcended into their existence after death. It was inconceivable that purpose could interact with itself as energy does, that furthermore it could handle the mathematical functions required to elevate its form into infinity, but somehow it can; and the result is before me right now, the result is me.

Missingno., then, is the bridge between the complex and the theoretic plane. It is a law of fate that those who encounter it are destined for transcendence. (I have been told that transcendence is as wrong a term for it as can possibly be, but I can not see how.) This evades the rather dangerous problem of asymmetry—the ethical and physical laws against the existence of ‘chosen ones’—by having the rate of the ‘choosing’ of the subjects be just enough that all energy within the universe is chosen sometime within its existence. And souls have meaning only during their existence as souls; ultimately and originally, they are but meaningless energy!

They are but meaningless energy.

This was very interesting to me. I won't go into all the details (I believe there is a 50,000 character limit on posts? XD), but very good idea here. Couldn't be plainer quite a bit of time was spent on this (to me, at any rate).

She puts her imaginative faculties in full charge of her senses, noting my mild interest at such a novel technique, and watches as a life-sized night scene defines itself around us.

The air is balmy, tangy with the faint smell of salt, and a cool dark sea laps gently against the shimmering beach below us. From this low-hanging cliff, framed and perfumed by unseen flowers, the wall [irony] behind us is a gentle reassurance of our safety, and the breathtaking vista of the open sea, lit by a full moon, thrills our senses. How inconvenient—the notebook is reading my thoughts before I wish them to enter paper.

I turn to my left, and a thirteen-year-old girl with glittering blue hair and eyes is smiling faintly back at me. I remark, with the greatest solemnity:

Fantastic description, here. Just wanted to say that.

She smiled, and I suppressed triumph. “I can testify that the process of gaining tolerance is shaky, at best. I do remember those days: I was to be hanged, being a rich noblewoman in the revolution, and I had done such a job of resigning myself to death that I couldn’t handle eternal life. Those were the days, those were the days… If you want, I’ll tell you all about it.”

Could I not learn of her life, and settle the score of knowledge? We could become equals again.

And here was an excellent way to end the chapter. Next one will be very interesting, for sure.

The idea of the "limbo", for lack of a better word, was very well done I would say. His witty commentary throughout was also quite good. Brought up several good questions, and didn't answer any of them. XD Next chapter, perhaps? It does look like he's on the precipice of many, many answers.

One more small thing I'd like to note. Before, as it was just a journal, we knew that no matter what he would end up fine. His being alive and writing the journal did a lot to say that. But as now, it appears, it is happening in real time takes away the safety net. Who knows what could happen to him now, I wonder?

Now about the main focus of this particular review. I touched on how the fic is somewhat confusing to the average reader, especially to a newcomer it can be almost intimidating. Your massive vocabulary does little to help, although I prefer it the way it is that to tone it down, but whatever.

Out of all the fics I follow here, or indeed any other place, Aftershock is easily one of, if not the, best. And it dissapoints me, what with the lack of knowledge of it. My only suggestion is to try and make it less confusing. Luphinid's thoughts often get drawn out and confused. Real thoughts do the same, but you know what I mean.

But that is the very part of this that I love. It makes me think, unlike really any other fiction I read. Luphinid is such a talented story teller, complete with his own demons as well that makes it so much better. I really don't know what to tell you. I suppose the average reader might not like that, or just might not understand the intricies of the fiction.

And now I'm starting to sound like a crazed fan boy, so I'll leave it here. Very good chapter, at any rate.

Psyblade

Inspiration Seeker.
How in the world have I missed this?

*Pauses*
In my infamous quest for more DarkPsychicDreamsBloodStuff, which almost everyone here is sick of hearing me repeat, I found thee!

*Gets whacked*

Alright…just to be fair, and to resolve my guilt from accusing you of using word processors and thesauruses in simple daily replies, and to find another source of inspiration, I resorted to continue Aftershock, after reading the prologue, and completely forgetting it.

*Innocent smile*

So far, reading to the bridge, I decided to do a pre-review, which will be inattentive, lame, tiring and boring.

Rest assured, I will –hopefully- continue the rest, after I stable my feet with what I know so far…and trust me, that isn’t as easy as it sounds…as your story is practically drowning in a marinate of words, confusing usage, powerful, yet misleading imagery, and me simply reading this when I am supposed to be sleeping.

Ignore the last reason; it is simply a resort if this review proves out horribly horrible. *Dodges brick*

You did drown me with a tide of multifaceted collage-level words...while in sometimes feels wrong, seems horribly right at other times...though I guess you should stand on middle grounds, and use common words rather then those used frequently in SATs.

I never seen a writer resort to such strange methods to synchronize the style of writing with the content of the writing itself, I applaud you!...
And curse my ignorance at the same time. Entertaining, no?

Although, the use of words is sometimes...unnecessarily long and too extravagant to be simply a story...it sounds sort of like an essay...
An essay about DarkPsychicDreamsBloodStuff.

Sometimes, I am struggling to comprehend what is happening in the story so hard, that I actually miss out on what happened before, and what I predict that will happen is gone in flames.
What a predicament…

Luphinid Silnaek said:
"Yes, an eternal flaw of mine: there are so many distracting abstractisms flying around in any important turn of the storyline that the actual storyline is lost on a reader."

They say the first step to solving a problem is to identify it. *Smile*
As much as I love having things being hanged (Not THAT hanged…I mean vague) sometimes…being too vague for trainer/adventure themes is seriously overpowering to the reader, who honestly doesn’t expect all this.

Not to say I didn’t like the extensive thoughts behind all this…I did.
I seriously like your style…mine looks like a baby version of it, to be brutally honest.

Now, about ‘long words’ which everyone seems to tumble with…
I cannot tell if you are aiming to intimidate newbie readers and attract more experienced ones, but it is -with the strange message it sends- somehow...captivating.

I actually want to learn a new word from reading...I learned one already!

Snide (Ironically, it has nothing to do with the story, nor is it in the story…-_-)
So far, I should simply say that your writing is much above the par I usually see around here... and I definitely see a hunk of philosophy (which I hope to be pointless and entertaining...not like much people are entertained by it) that thrusts us deeper into the story...No offense, but some sentences of yours actually make more sense when I run them through Babel fish…a program I usually use to mess up stories.
Unless this story is actually written in German, I really am impressed with your multi-cultural style.

Something else that perked mah attention...the overuse of the word, 'inevitable,' I realize the urge to create an (end of the world)-theme for the story, and even before reading the bridge, I noticed, ‘Luphinid has something strong to do with Amaren.’
However, be warned: These things come out easily labeled as 'cheesy.'

Other then that, the description you utilize in Aftershock is something...interesting...to say the least.

Moving on from the general impression to tah H3R0Z!
Heroes make or break fiction...everyone knows that.
First, Amaren…I admit I felt, "Persian" when I heard that...

Firstly, this is an old opinion…as in before I reached the bridge:

And I am sure to be mistaken...who would trust that playing Prince of Persia will give a person Persian mindset? The name is interesting, nevertheless, and from its explanation, 'Immortal' makes me feel...is this something linked to the plot?
Turns out it is…the pace I read was a cross from the obedient (From the start to the middle) and some random notes I took from you.
Somehow reminds me of Warcraft Lore…don’t ask why, please.

Immortality in fiction is always connected to ignorance and -although it is ironic to put them together- wisdom. Having a psychic Pokemon leans to both...Wisdom is something stereotyped with psychics that isn't to be taken away.
And ignorance is something linked to the Laws of Magic (Don't ask...World of Warcraft stuff) That power gives birth to ignorance...any modesty will be lost in the wonder and awe of the abilities that are currently owned, any traces of a person’s past self will vanish under the new personality the fact that being a mage gives you.

Ytarrik's name makes me think comically -Tarik with a Y- which leads to a questioning Tarik (To those who don't understand, Tarik is an Arabic name) and Y sounds a bit like ‘Ya Tarik.” This is like a call, “Yo, Tarik.”

It also makes me think yak, so, I am actually laughing, which logically leads to not much thinking.

I find it also strange that you add emotions to...emotionless things. The examples are too numerous to calculate.
I think your characters will a better target to focus such efforts, seeing you do very well in making us picture the way your characters feel through dialogue, but I can't really see...
Those...action-ed emotions, examples for those are available too...I posted a number of those in Blazing Dreams: The Eternal Night.
Um, most people use those; you do already, but more feelings won't hurt anyone...would they? Except now after the bridge…and me stopping leads to a turn in assumptions…I am probably wrong in…90% of what I just said.

Another issue...is that some sentences are...too long for their own content...but this is rapidly getting to be a loose comment at the following chapters.

Some battles are let down by the same reason, to be honest...
In short-reaction, split-second action, the last thing you want is sentences. Time in reading is greatly affected by the time a person reads it.

If short sentences -that, -I admit- break the core of description- the split-second pace is still there, and yet, a time for a breath -or additional description, mostly surroundings from the attacks' area of effect- could be...described. A fire blast could be a vague star in the fight; blur is a powerful tool of quick imaginary.
But in the end, and when the dust clears, the trail of fire and charred wood the Fire Blast left could be described to your heart’s content.

Strange how guilty you indirectly made me...many words here were either left hanged, or re-tasted so much that I can't feel good with any other sort of writing...
*Coldly holds up a protesting flag* Death to limited vocabulary.

Still, sentences like this make me smile, "and was immediately met with the old scientist, emerging out of a nearby patch of obscurity."
Obscurity grows?
I just read that patch as in bush, and it sounded strangely comical.

It may just be me, but there is a...certain difficulty in following with short-ended events.
Accidentally skipping a paragraph would make me regret what I did profusely, and make me search all over again for an unfamiliar name, or a brief, skipped event.

Still, I have to say it again...the imaginary you employed is wonderful.
I still remember the Psy beam description...you are right...the very words, 'psychic energy' sound cheap.

Nothing more to note on the rest…I can’t really comment on the plot –Though, indirectly, I already have- or the development of the chapters…I think myself a little too soon for these things.

Still, I was vaguely entertained…expect more from me, Luphinid.

Psyblade, over and out.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Once again, I was entertaining the notion that my peak was falling. So badly that no reviewer would want to put something here.

duncan:

Typo in bold. The main reason I quoted this particular part was the first sentence. I understand how Luphinid is thinking, but this is the easiest way to show you how confusing it can get sometimes. I can (usually) understand it, but I believe it is the main reason why you don't get nearly enough reviews (especially for such an excellent fiction). I'll say more about this later, but it is certainly something you should try and work on.

I assure you that I will (eventually, no, soon) get to solving this problem. At least, somehow dealing with it. My thoughts lie in the direction of exactly how quickly Luphinid can narrate and muse on-the-spot, now that he's forced into such a position. And, in fact, 'split' is exactly the word I meant for the context. His blood is still split between human and Mightyena, poor thing.

Long sentence here. Should be cut into two where bolded, I'd say. The main reason I pointed it out, however, was because you missed a word in the first bit. Read it and you'll see what I mean

As far as I know, the sentence is fine. "As I lay within a seeming limbo, nothing moved in me but a sloshing sense of nothingness." The writer adds a little aside on the exact nature of the limbo betweem the first and second clauses. He explains two things about the limbo: that it is no limbo, but that it merely fills him with the sense of nothingness.

Missed a word here.

The b*astard son of excitement is, of course, still an emotion. Therefore Luphinid can only feel it; he cannot feel like it. The fact that I've debated all three of your corrections suggests that my arguments as to their correctness are perhaps not entirely valid. (And here I'm saying I'll cut back on the confusing sentences.) If your grasp on the intricacies of English grammar is stronger than mine, please do explain exactly how my sentences are wrong.

Now about the main focus of this particular review. I touched on how the fic is somewhat confusing to the average reader, especially to a newcomer it can be almost intimidating. Your massive vocabulary does little to help, although I prefer it the way it is that to tone it down, but whatever.

Out of all the fics I follow here, or indeed any other place, Aftershock is easily one of, if not the, best. And it dissapoints me, what with the lack of knowledge of it. My only suggestion is to try and make it less confusing. Luphinid's thoughts often get drawn out and confused. Real thoughts do the same, but you know what I mean.

Ah, yes, the main point of my dilemma: whether to make it realistic, complex and incredibly confusing, or to miss out on some aspects and sort out the muddles in lucidity. I'm sure there must be some middle point, some fine situation in which both worlds can coexist, and I wonder if I can find it within the lifetime of this fiction. If I did, why, I would have resolved my most major flaw.

Well, I hardly get to saying it, but thank you very much for the comments. However I might like it, I am very dependent on my reviewers and all their aspects. Really, without this I would be nowhere in trying to improve my gigantic pitfalls.

Psyblade: New reviewer! I would do a dance now, but I would rather embarrass myself with my 00ber dancing skills.

In my infamous quest for more DarkPsychicDreamsBloodStuff, which almost everyone here is sick of hearing me repeat, I found thee!

*Gets whacked*

Alright…just to be fair, and to resolve my guilt from accusing you of using word processors and thesauruses in simple daily replies, and to find another source of inspiration, I resorted to continue Aftershock, after reading the prologue, and completely forgetting it.

Ah, yes, how could I have forgot. This is exactly the genre you relish. And *gasp* the conscience returns! I should really catch up on Forgotten Paths, which I forsook two chapters after joining. *innocent smile*

Rest assured, I will –hopefully- continue the rest, after I stable my feet with what I know so far…and trust me, that isn’t as easy as it sounds…as your story is practically drowning in a marinate of words, confusing usage, powerful, yet misleading imagery, and me simply reading this when I am supposed to be sleeping.

I should begin a tradition, starting with you, grasshopper: *shoves bulletproof vest, hard hat and pink stuffed bunny at you* Go on, brave soldier! The road from here (if this is possible) is even rockier and longer than it has been, but I believe in you! You will defy insurmountable odds and actually manage to get something at all from this confused mess. *relishes guiltily in own creation* That was a good speech; I like that. I think I'll save that for any more hapless reviewers who may wander in here. ...Well, returning to sobriety, if that's a word...

I never seen a writer resort to such strange methods to synchronize the style of writing with the content of the writing itself, I applaud you!...
And curse my ignorance at the same time. Entertaining, no?

Elaborate, please. Do you mean the strangeness of the content itself, which harmonizes with the strangeness of the writing style? Clearly, thy writing style is somewhat as mine

As much as I love having things being hanged (Not THAT hanged…I mean vague) sometimes…being too vague for trainer/adventure themes is seriously overpowering to the reader, who honestly doesn’t expect all this.

Not to say I didn’t like the extensive thoughts behind all this…I did.
I seriously like your style…mine looks like a baby version of it, to be brutally honest.

Now, about ‘long words’ which everyone seems to tumble with…
I cannot tell if you are aiming to intimidate newbie readers and attract more experienced ones, but it is -with the strange message it sends- somehow...captivating.

...That makes me want to look back over every single chapter yet and see where the words were essay-style. In fact, I'll do that, if back-editing is even legal (or should be so). It seems clear to me that those who review somehow or the other like my self-destructive vague style a lot, which doesn't tell me much because they could represent a minority, the only minority who ever thinks my fiction to be good. Perhaps I should invite new reviewers at random, take a survey, of sorts...

No offense, but some sentences of yours actually make more sense when I run them through Babel fish…a program I usually use to mess up stories.
Unless this story is actually written in German, I really am impressed with your multi-cultural style.

Oh, dear. Are they that bad? It could be said that a literary cryptanalyst would have some fun with my sentences, but that really doesn't contribute much to the conversation. My culture, for that matter, is something I take some interest in: though, of course, I have a country and school of thought with which to relate myself in a tight spot, technically my culture is a mess of all the places, fictional or not, that I have been directly or indirectly exposed to, and that is a muddle. As for the word "Amaren", admittedly it has a particular real-life word with which I relate it to: the entirely Indian-rooted ??? (Amar) immortal. (I'm happy SPPF can handle these symbols.) Is there any particular reason, though, that you chose the German language in your sentence? Does my story have German elements?

Ytarrik's name makes me think comically -Tarik with a Y- which leads to a questioning Tarik (To those who don't understand, Tarik is an Arabic name) and Y sounds a bit like ‘Ya Tarik.” This is like a call, “Yo, Tarik.”

In this case, of course, the "Y" is prononced like an "I", just to clarify. "I-tah-rik".

It may just be me, but there is a...certain difficulty in following with short-ended events.
Accidentally skipping a paragraph would make me regret what I did profusely, and make me search all over again for an unfamiliar name, or a brief, skipped event.

If I may be allowed to be a little assertive, there is an advantage to this: it makes the story a lot more tightly-knit, with no unnecessary events and everything having some sort of meaning, complementing the main theme. It may be observed, however, that the story perhaps doesn't even achieve this fully. Oh, well; I already have plans for, erm... *shuts up*

As for your thoughts on the places where improvement is necessary, I think we'll wait until we have a complete idea of the fiction, as you said. Can't be subjective, can we?

Well, thanks for the reviews; though it's not evident that I'm gushing with pride, I have gotten amazingly close to gushing, thanks to everyone's words.

Psyblade

Inspiration Seeker.
Luphinid Silnaek

Luphinid Silneak said:
Ah, yes, how could I have forgotten? This is exactly the genre you relish. And *gasp* the conscience returns! I should really catch up on Forgotten Paths, which I forsook two chapters after joining. *innocent smile*
It would be nice to have another reader...
Happiness aside, you would be surprised how much themes of ours parallel with each other...as in gaining a Pokemon's strength from eating it's meat, in a process called, 'Insert the name here, for Psyblade ignorantly forgot' has its counterpart in Forgotten Paths...and with identical effects...
There goes originality for both of us.

I should begin a tradition, starting with you, grasshopper: *shoves bulletproof vest, hard hat and pink stuffed bunny at you* Go on, brave soldier! The road from here (if this is possible) is even rockier and longer than it has been, but I believe in you! You will defy insurmountable odds and actually manage to get something at all from this confused mess. *relishes guiltily in own creation* that was a good speech; I like that. I think I'll save that for any more hapless reviewers who may wander in here. ...Well, returning to sobriety, if that's a word...
Strange enough, that encouraged me to venture even deeper into your fiction. That is a good speech.

Although I haven't used my pink stuffed bunny...yet.

Elaborate, please. Do you mean the strangeness of the content itself, which harmonizes with the strangeness of the writing style? Clearly, thy writing style is somewhat as mine.
The complexity, my friend; although it does give an impressive, collage-leveled atmosphere, it could make small events lesser then they are, and overshadow them in a...shadow...of...*Words cut off*

Ack, I am guilty of that too...although saying, "I have a certain style' is a death curse of a writer.

Oh, dear. Are they that bad? It could be said that a literary cryptanalyst would have some fun with my sentences, but that really doesn't contribute much to the conversation. My culture, for that matter, is something I take some interest in: though, of course, I have a country and school of thought with which to relate myself in a tight spot, technically my culture is a mess of all the places, fictional or not, that I have been directly or indirectly exposed to, and that is a muddle.

*Stabs self for not understanding a thing* No, it isn't that they are bad, or anything of the like...but Babelfish's punishable offenses on literature sometimes simplifies the passages it deals with...I shouldn't elaborate further; as it leaded to Amaren turning into a female and Leech Seeds becoming Vampire Offspring.

As for the word "Amaren", admittedly it has a particular real-life word with which I relate it to: the entirely Indian-rooted ??? (Amar) immortal. (I'm happy SPPF can handle these symbols.) Is there any particular reason, though, that you chose the German language in your sentence? Does my story have German elements?
Not that, choosing German was a completely random choice.
...Or perhaps the buried thought that German is the hardest language to learn, and your fiction isn't that piece of cake. =D

Um, while on the subject, what symbols?
^_^ Strange, though...Amar sounds a lot like "Omer", which in Arabic means, 'age'...do cultures just have those similarities?

If I may be allowed to be a little assertive, there is an advantage to this: it makes the story a lot more tightly-knit, with no unnecessary events and everything having some sort of meaning, complementing the main theme. It may be observed, however, that the story perhaps doesn't even achieve this fully. Oh, well; I already have plans for, erm... *shuts up*
Ah, I see. The problem was from me then; as usual.
Concerning your observation, I think it is just the...vague-ity (If that is a word) shrouding the events that led to my confusion...nevertheless; it is me in the end.

Alas, we have reached a crossroads...

;282;:"I see thy have been effected greatly by the way Luphinid talks, Psyblade."

I see you have too…inadequately *Gets stabbed*
Imitation is the highest form of flattery. =D

Well, now, let us lay our hands on where we stand!
*Dodges a tomato*
I must say...there has been a huge transformation in Ameren’s character...if I am to call him that.

I have to say he transformed into something...rather...unique, for lack of better word. *Looks back* The only note I have so far is the difficulty of following events. I am brutally honest when I say that amid the vague ramblings we read from first-person narrating, I am struggling to find a speck of action...and I almost cried in happiness as Luphinid towered over tah parasite -Oak- and demanded his info.
I liked that part...my feet were on solid ground.

Strangely, I am actually surprised that a piece of advice you gave me could be used backwards:
Luphinid Sealnik said:
And yet, the strange marriages of four or five different clauses into one sentence, though somewhat painfully grammatically incorrect, actually add to your style. I can imagine a stream-of-consciousness where the trance is so deep as to disallow usual sentence formation. However, in some of the more active portions, where things are physically happening, you will have to take great care, splitting sentences into smaller ones at the faintest hint of run-on-ness.

Just if you tinker a bit...change the bolded part into 'Take great care, lessening your shadowy grip on the vague-ness and leaving things clearer...after all...Action is about being clear.

I am actually confused, if you asked me to summarize Ameren's ascension -for lack for better term- into the unique Luphinid, I could only give something like, 'he...uh...'

Ah, into the next parts, or technical issues, I am impressed by AfterShock's university design...although I believe the idea of not passing to the afterlife is desecrating to the sanctity of death, passing to another realm seems something...interesting, to say the least...Reincarnation, anyone?
Although I gave a wide smile at 'Righters', and their (Supposedly evil) counterparts...I saw order within chaos, and (To me) that seems your philosophic theme in Aftershock.
Order within chaos is something spoken in tales, to some entirely fictional, although it happens everyday; we are just to ignorant to see it.
Divine design for the win!!! 1 One and Eleven!
*Pants from religious zeal* Okay, let's take a break.
*Breath in, breath out*
Okay, nothing much to note in philosophic means...I shouldn't note philosophy anyway...I love it, nevertheless.

Strange...Luphinid's lifestyle seems rather...random. I can't see where his life is going. I could see plane traveling happening while he is unconscious in life...I could see the vampiric-styled metamorphism he is undergoing, I could see the strange life he is living, but it is completely chaotic; which the philosophic theme is…probably! *Runs in a hamster wheel*

I can't note about character motivations...Amaren was a completely ordinary dude before all...that happened, and I actually feel remorse when Luphinid thought of what would have happened...if he hasn't been what he is now.
You would be surprised how much themes of ours parallel with each other...as in gaining a Pokemon's strength from eating it's meat, in a process called, 'Insert the name here, for Psyblade ignorantly forgot' has its counterpart in Forgotten Paths...and with identical effects...
There goes originality for both of us.

;282;:"...You did say this before, didn't you?"

Hah! I have, and reoccurring events is something else that gives a life circle theme. This goes on and on, and it may harmonize with the fact that characters in Aftershock don't pass to an afterlife.
It may go on with Reincarnation too...*Leers* which I generally don't approve on, seeing it harmonizes with pointlessness, and aimless living.
Still, that gives a feeling of remorse too, and gives me a hunk of DarkPsychicDreamsBloodStuff. I can't say no to that, could I?
Besides, that could be a theme you are aiming to in Aftershock...
After the shock of dying, the mess of leaving life leaves you without a place to go...without a thing to do, like a rocket simply hovering in space after its tanks have run empty of fuel…Sad, but oddly satisfying.

I do realize that I may miss the whole point here; I am thinking nevertheless..."I am thinking, therefore I am alive."
I love life.

Um...what am I to say more?
My mind is surprisingly blank today; excuse this short, pointless review.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Thou, not thy, Saif. Thy is entirely possessive. Thou is the noun.

Assuming Saif is the name of that interjectory Gardevoir. Feel free to kick me if it is not.

I have to say he transformed into something...rather...unique, for lack of better word. *Looks back* The only note I have so far is the difficulty of following events. I am brutally honest when I say that amid the vague ramblings we read from first-person narrating, I am struggling to find a speck of action...and I almost cried in happiness as Luphinid towered over tah parasite -Oak- and demanded his info.
I liked that part...my feet were on solid ground.

Ehh... Oak isn't the parasite. The parasite is that dreadful quantity of Mightyena blood in Luphinid's veins; inanimate soul matter earlier, it has found dreadful, abominable life when introduced to a human system and grown, slowly but steadily, into a parasitic entity consisting almost entirely of a blasphemous excuse for a soul. *draws breath* Forgive me, for continued exposure to Lovecraft results in a disintegration of the mental faculties. No, Oak is the one trying to heal Luphinid of the thing. Unless I misinterpreted you, which is my current trademark.

Anyway, Luphinid is a soul largely unconcerned with action. He enjoys brooding, rambling nihilistically and cynically over the same dark, gruesome fate of all things on the earth, especially him. After this chapter, if he's given enough opportunity, he will sink into absolute inaction and apathy. The lack of action is, unfortunately, a necessary consequence of Luphinid's thoughts; but you can expect that the new change in his style of naration (present tense, entirely first-person where before he used to speak in memories) will lead to a relief in the boredom. The worst is over, essentially.

I am actually confused, if you asked me to summarize Ameren's ascension -for lack for better term- into the unique Luphinid, I could only give something like, 'he...uh...'

I suppose the confusion comes largely from the fact that Luphinid has never really referred to his ascension ever in the narrative. He's described it, shewn (couldn't resist tossing in that word) its effects, but never seen it as a single, decisive metamorphosis. Of course, the main reason is my ambiguity. *hangs head*

Reincarnation, anyone?

Here I have to add in a comment, despite my own respect for the sanctity of philosophical musings. Reincarnation is a part of the story, but in a very different way. *opens mouth* --You'll see later.

Although I gave a wide smile at 'Righters', and their (Supposedly evil) counterparts...I saw order within chaos, and (To me) that seems your philosophic theme in Aftershock.
Order within chaos is something spoken in tales, to some entirely fictional, although it happens everyday; we are just to ignorant to see it.

Once again: elaborate. Please do. This interests me very deeply.

Strange...Luphinid's lifestyle seems rather...random. I can't see where his life is going. I could see plane traveling happening while he is unconscious in life...I could see the vampiric-styled metamorphism he is undergoing, I could see the strange life he is living, but it is completely chaotic; which the philosophic theme is…probably! *Runs in a hamster wheel*

And here I quote a particular paragraph:

Some of my more shrewd readers may see the relentlessly fast and reckless pace of my life. Not only do I write only the chief events, which either represent or affect my personality as it evolves over time, but the very style of this story is more rushed than a man in my position may naturally make it. I wish to make this clear, so that no reader assumes this is the result of only impatience on my part: my life is themed exactly as it seems to the reader of this biography, my memories recalling clearly only the most major events of my lie, while merely sketching less important themes. I seem only an old book, once read with no great attention and largely forgotten with time, its composite parts hardly meaningful to any perception (though only my own perception can attempt to confirm this).

My point lies within a certain interpretation, or rather aspect, of this thing. Teeth-grittingly, I won't say what it is. The meaning is very close to the end of the para. And, as for your last notes on reincarnation:

I do realize that I may miss the whole point here; I am thinking nevertheless..."I am thinking, therefore I am alive."
I love life.

Only time will tell.

PS: The Hindi alphabet came out fine enough in the preview. I suppose something must have happened when converting to HTML. To be terribly precise, the word I am referring to is the conjunction of the following symbols in order: this image, this one, and this one. Wow, what a crude way to put my point. Concerning Omar, I can't say there are any shared roots between the two words. Amar is the prefix "a" combined with "mar", "a" meaning absence and "mar" meaning death. In that sense, Amar has very little to do with Omar. However, it could be possible that one country heard the other's word, started using it, and derived their particular word from that.

Psyblade

Inspiration Seeker.
Thou, not thy, Saif. Thy is entirely possessive. Thou is the noun.

Assuming Saif is the name of that interjectory Gardevoir. Feel free to kick me if it is not.
Ah, to be real, Saif is the main human character of Forgotten Paths...
The Gardevoir? It's just Ielas, rambling.

Ehh... Oak isn't the parasite. The parasite is that dreadful quantity of Mightyena blood in Luphinid's veins; inanimate soul matter earlier, it has found dreadful, abominable life when introduced to a human system and grown, slowly but steadily, into a parasitic entity consisting almost entirely of a blasphemous excuse for a soul.
Does seem like bacteria to me...but I never heard of it invading non-organic bodies.
Nevertheless, the Mightyena's blood sure does have a big part in everything; as with every other Pokemon-related...thing.

Consuming Pokemon bodies does sound like another theme...I was never a fan of canabalizm, but it seems it has roots in horror.

;282;:"It seems?"

...It does. =D

*draws breath* Forgive me, for continued exposure to Lovecraft results in a disintegration of the mental faculties. No, Oak is the one trying to heal Luphinid of the thing. Unless I misinterpreted you, which is my current trademark.
I see...it must be my fault then, even while I noticed Oak's concern for Luphinid.

Anyway, Luphinid is a soul largely unconcerned with action.
Ah, don't get me wrong, but for the cause of Luphinid hunching over himself, rambling has made this reading pretty much...

Daunting?
Believe me, when I was reading pink, fluffy stuff *Blushes from lack of darkness* my mind was still on Aftershock...it affected my mind.

I suppose the confusion comes largely from the fact that Luphinid has never really referred to his ascension ever in the narrative. He's described it, shewn (couldn't resist tossing in that word) its effects, but never seen it as a single, decisive metamorphosis. Of course, the main reason is my ambiguity. *hangs head*

*Fingers an imaginary beard*Yes...altough that, 'throwing' the metamorphosis process will hint everything going quickly...while you intend for the process to be slow. You gave that idea well, at the slight expense of confusion.

Nevertheless, I am the last one to not know how to deal with confusion.

Well done.

Here I have to add in a comment, despite my own respect for the sanctity of philosophical musings. Reincarnation is a part of the story, but in a very different way. *opens mouth* --You'll see later.
For the sake of the plot, I sacrifice anything.

Well, not everything, but I understand your approach.

Although it could be taken another way...

Once again: elaborate. Please do. This interests me very deeply.

Right:

What I meant through this that even while your story plot is hinted as chaotic (Or to be honest, I asked some people, and they thought so too), comparing the first chapters with the ending result, I saw order. Everything that has happened from the day Ameran got the Pokeball, meeting with Ruki, and the tragic accident, and his...'acsenion' (Seems will be the official term; due to it's unrivaled 'pwnageness') seemed to lead to everything that Ameran has become....it made sense.

It reminds me of an old Arabic tale of destiny. There was a rider, a prophet (No information whatsoever about him) who foretold his horse will kill him. The man's pride and trust in his loyal horse faltered under his love of his own life; he murdered the stallion without a moment's hesitination.
Years later, the man crossed the place where his horse died. He spotted his skiliton; and spat on it, shouting loudly, "Where are you now to kill me?"

Drunk in his presumed victory, he stomped his horse's skull. He lifted his foot with a sudden yelp, and saw a splinter of the horse's bones digging into his foot. He pulled it out, just to feel his power seep away...it was poisoned; he became sick, and eventually died.

The horse did kill his rider...it's just that the rider allowed himself to go to this.
Or in other ways, he thought chaotic, and found the order of the prophecy.

Pretty much the way everything went. Aftershock's apparent chaos is only overcame by the order the story followed to end...this way.
There was no other way to go. This how it was meant to be.
*Cough* I barely saw it, to be honest; but it makes sense...

Linking events that seem vague is pretty hard...
Perhaps that is why Ameran and Ruki rivalring to becoming Pokemon champions seems so distant...it's hard to imagine.

I seem only an old book, once read with no great attention and largely forgotten with time, its composite parts hardly meaningful to any perception (though only my own perception can attempt to confirm this).
This strangely harmonizes with something else...
Please don't ask me what; I can't tell.

Concerning Omar, I can't say there are any shared roots between the two words. Amar is the prefix "a" combined with "mar", "a" meaning absence and "mar" meaning death. In that sense, Amar has very little to do with Omar. However, it could be possible that one country heard the other's word, started using it, and derived their particular word from that.
^_^ India and Arabia always had a million things in common, that's logical.

>_> I think I should shut up now.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Ah, now I remember. He's Ielas. *kicks self*

The parasite has very little physical body. The only thing that makes it physical at all is the fact that it is embodied by that vapoury fluid that Luphinid relishes so much. Earlier, in fact, it wasn't even an entity, merely a piece of physical matter tied to a piece of soul matter. It had no function but to exist. However, coming in contact with Luphinid shook it up enough to breathe life into it, so to speak (like a virus, which is non-living outside an organism's body); the matter became a parasite. You could compare this to Stormbringer of the Elric saga. Interestingly, and obviously, in all that time it has never dissolved into Luphinid's blood.

Perhaps the consuming pokémon theme comes from the occult--some magician eating dreadul meats to augment his power. Usually these meats are made into potion or charm, but the basic gist is the same: doing something dreadful to harvest the meat of a dreadful creature, in order to gain dreadul power.

I'm glad I managed to infect another fine human with my twisted work.

I never noticed that order within chaos until you mentioned it, but I do see some vague glimmerings now. If anything, it's entirely subconscious. Hmm... I'll look into that.Can't say anything right now.

Concerning the update which this post is so devoid of: I never know if this is a good or bad thing, but chapters shall henceforth cease to be regularly updated. I will take the usual trend and release them whenever they're done, be it months or a single week after the last chapter.

...In case anyone is wondering why there is an actual update attached to the post, it seems I did manage to finish Chapter 16 within the date. Look forward to a little more metaphysical confusion, despite the shortness...

Aftershock
Chapter 16​

And now the introductions have largely ended, all possibilities of bitter comments exhausted, even the burst of thoughtless adrenaline done and over with. And I curse heaven and hell for the timing, for no sign of the ancient Amaren within me came earlier when I needed it. It is here now, exactly at the moment I would benefit the least from its presence. I feel something I have not felt for well nearing one-hundred and eighty years: I am baffled with the question of what to do!

For there is absolutely nothing here to entertain oneself with; the only existing thing at all is the presence of other transcended minds. What do these creatures do all eternity: talk with themselves continuously and obnoxiously until there is no entertainment left in even that? Ruki spoke of destinies, but I am certain (beyond all reason or sensibility) that destiny is reserved for anything but me, and its effects will not serve my purpose.

And so I settle to talking continuously and obnoxiously with another mind, until this last resort can entertain me even less than it already does. If justification is required for my decision, I’ll say that I have never strictly followed reason or sensibility.

I open myself to the other consciousnesses and the tumultuous workings of the theoretic plane, and immediately sense a great mass of entity all around me, ignoring my existence for some reason. In fact, my vision is clearing a little, and I realize this is just a large clump of minds in telepathic link, and slowly I can distinguish one from the other. This reminds me of a newborn creature opening its eyes for the first time, but then I don’t think such an individual would be in nearly the same circumstances as I am.

I’m not sure what strange version of etiquette they have for these positions. I’ve found Ruki, I know well enough from my capering how to converse with another mind, but currently she is deep in conversation with the rest of her… peers.

To hell with etiquette.

I request a telepathic connection, and—damn!—every single mind out of the cluster turns its alien head to direct all attention to me.

[Ah, the newcomer,] says one of them.

[We’ve all had our difficulties with this plane, dear,] adds another, and the tone is more obviously commiserating than it could ever be in the complex plane.

[Just a moment, Amaren,] Ruki finally offers. And I’m drooping back to the corner. Where did my dark elegance go? I’m just another troubled young man here. Oh, how I hate that stereotype…

I notice that none of [us] them seem to have genders, out of their physical bodies. The only label I can apply to them comes from their lives when they were still on the complex plane, and so I may slip into referring to stranger minds as “it”, though I give a generous enough gender to Ruki and myself.

And though anything from days to years may have passed while the cluster was conversing, relative perception does indeed make it a moment. I’m not sure how I changed the flow of time within my semiplane, but somehow everything around me is whizzing past at improbable speeds. I would cry out in disorientation, but my mind has already adapted. This efficiency is slightly irritating.

[All right,] says Ruki, [what is it.]

What do I say? I was meaning to break into all-out blabbering, but that would be very inappropriate, I see now. [the method of consumption] [small—]

At last, I latch on to something meaningful.

[This is getting tiring,] I say firmly. [Would you please tell me how you creatures get by on this plane?]

[Well,] Ruki laughs a strained laugh, [this was inevitable, I should say. But you’re right, it’s high time. Where should we begin?]

Earlier, I had been concerned with the question not at all. This time, however, I did probe for information: [You could start with an overview. What is it that you do, what is this duty you keep talking about?]

[You are also part of us, Amaren, you’ve got a duty just like the rest of us.] She doesn’t reply when I openly scoff at this. [To be frank,] she continues,[we never know.]

Silence. [I see.]

[Fate uses us to mediate, or to cause upheavals in the world. We have a bit of power, and we use it as necessity dictates. It is as simple as that.]

[So you’re guardians.]

[Not necessarily. We may inadvertently cause great revolution and disorder in the world, or otherwise injure it. It may be a mistake on our part, but it is in the plan of fate.]

There is very obviously something wrong with this philosophy… [And you go along with it, do you? “Oh, did I destroy the world? So sorry.”]

[We’re all puppets of fate, Luphinid. Free will is nonexistent, because out will is governed by the tides of the world.]

[And here I thought you were greater beings,] I say mockingly, my verbally abusive faculties switching on. [It seems the final form of transcendence is a sheep.] Is there any more insult I can milk from this? If individuality is lost, intelligence is largely thrown away (but that is far too crude to make into a joke). Where is personal beauty? Where—

I don’t want to be part of this! If it was any other system I could care less about joining it, but here is a swarm of slavish drones which is adamant on making me a part of it. I am already a part of the system, and there’s nothing I can do to escape it! Thank god these thoughts stayed on my side of the telepathic link.

Better. I’ll stop thinking these thoughts entirely until I’m at a more tenable position to deal with them. It’s amazing how simple it is to make a temporary mental block in this state.

Interestingly, I draw blood. There is the slightest edge of irritation in her thoughts. [It would be a little too much to say this never occurred to our minds, wouldn’t it? We’ve all had our inner battles with individuality, and none of us failed to see the truth. Certainly free will gives the only enlightened form of existence, but what can you do? Not your destructive little tricks, nor the few traces of dark blood in you, can rebel against something that doesn’t truly exist in the first place. It plays us all, whatever our intentions.] Ah, sweet bitterness; this is perhaps an old wound in all of their sides. I still know my old techniques.

[Fine, fine,] I concede. [All of you—all of us—are then vehicles for different changes in the world. This much I understand. You say you had a specific duty. Do you have some sort of administration for co-ordinating all of this? This system practically invites chaos to your door, I can see that.]

[We don’t have a single government, no. Fate manages to organize us quite well enough. We do, however, convene whenever necessary to help each other interpret their current role in the universe—so that we can serve fate better. Don’t take that tone again. If you want to know, I had been backed into several positions of great responsibility before I incarnated, and the constant effort was taking its toll on me. Even disembodied minds, you see, have a form of rest; it’s less frequent but just as important.]

[And so you had a moment of drunkenness,] I finished, [and Ruki the trainer was born. But how on earth was she—you, I mean—called back? Who invoked that Missingno.?]

[Pure dumb luck.]

[Simple as that?]

The world hates us all.

[It just happened to be so that the electrike was exactly halfway captured, that I was exactly halfway between the two points which marked the boundaries of Saffron and Cerulean, and I was always split between my new life and my true responsibilities for those thirteen years. It seems I was very sorely needed back on our plane.]

She hardly articulated it, but I could clearly see that she suspected more reasons (or effects). I could care less, but not by a particularly great margin.

[All right, a third point: how do you carry out these changes? Do we all have some great power to shift the tides of the world? I would be particularly interested if godliness came with this immortality.]

[Well, most changes (I believe) we can’t affect from our post on this plane; even though we have exceptional sensitivity to happenings in the other plane, we’re not meant to do anything but watch here. So, on the few instances when we incarnate onto the complex plane, we bring about whatever small-scale change we need. Otherwise, I will concede that large-scale shifts in the thinking or condition of communities in their plane can be made from ours. These usually don’t serve our purposes, surprisingly.]

I shall cease to describe the rest of the conversation, as there is very little point or harmony to it. [STOP]

[RESUME] This was just as inevitable: conversation is no longer an effective (or even functional) way to pass the time. Therefore, I shall here begin a mental search for things to do with the mind alone.

The common option is that of finding a particularly difficult puzzle of some sort and solving it entirely mentally. However, these are far too tedious and unrewarding for my tastes. I can additionally make no attempt at art, as it was never a favourite of mine. What I need are macabre, obscure, bizarre pastimes with at least the magnitude of righting. Yet where would I find such a thing within this entirely mental plane? [think back to memories]

Is there a mode out there with which to summon anomalies entirely in this state? Certainly, and the theoretic plane is all the more accessible here; but though I have no care for the future of anything I feel that creating a wrong in such a delicate system as this is a step too apocalyptic. My maniacal destructive days are long gone, and I seek milder ways (though not much milder). What, then, is more self-contained, more in tune with the wishes of old Ytarrik and the Saffron Gym Leader Sabrina? It is the latter, perhaps, whose views are somewhat more interesting. I see now that her point in illustrating to me the hazards of her art was to caution me of consequences even I could agree were too much. It was all in vain, of course, and could never have been otherwise. Even so, it gave me insight into a most intriguing line of enquiry. There must be a way to achieve this without irreversible damage to the sanity.

Ah, but I am meandering despicably from the point. Art to use the pastime…

The previous sentence was a subconscious mix of the two conflicting ideas in my mind, and somehow it managed to be sensible. Art for use in pastime… Perfect!

It is pointless and meaningless, but from now on I shall spend my time looking for loopholes in the limitations on the creation of consciousness which Sabrina explored so deeply. Let me analyze… The exact reason for the problem is that within a consciousness there is only enough material, logically, to form one mind. We cannot multiply like cells and split into exact replicas with the capacity for independent existence. But… what if one used other sources to supply the missing portions? Debris from other deconstructed souls, pieces of flotsam… if matched perfectly, one could create a coherent organism. I should begin now: hunting for exactly the right shards, dredging up all my knowledge, fitting them together…

I say, I can finally act as a crazed alchemical necromancer! It has taken great time, effort, and blood, and numerous bonds with the darkest and most heinous of abominations on this earth, but at last I have success! This work of mine, this twisted fantasy, has taken shape; I need only the tail of newt and the electric spark before it matures into being. Let it commence.

Over the past days [months][seasons][years][aeons] I have patched together a great compendium of my memories, and inhaled matching fragments of thought, personality, and various structural portions of the mind to create a fictional character. I have repeatedly created fantasies of this creature, until it seems a real vivid thing, and as separate from me as any other mind. Only the final separation is waiting now, and it requires no effort at all. My efforts are drawing fruit. It shall be a great labour not to be caught up in the flood of emotion which is to come.

We look out to the distant rim of trees; their leaves rocked gently to the rhyme of the drowsy wind. The sea of gold on which we rested was heaving, too, gently suffusing the warmth into us. The crystal sky sent down a million shards of warm light; they plunged into us, filling us with the drug.

“Do you see the sky?” I said.

The girl with the azure eyes turned her magnificent head to the heavens. “It’s blue, blue with the brilliant flash of our lives to come.”

“And the silver shards of moonlight?”

“They are only the last resort, of course; our true calling is with the sun.”

“If ever neither the sun nor the moon should twinkle in your eyes…”

She smiled, and those dazzling blue eyes with their gold enamelling—the duality of two perfect stones!—are worlds apart from hypothesis. “Then I will have a loyal and noble friend to save me.”

”It’s time to surface,” I suddenly say.

The waving tendrils slowly stopped. The smile faded. “Is it time to separate?”

And my beautiful creation, this fine china doll, is kicking into being; it is struggling for life amidst the cruelties of law—

the shard of blue[silver][gold]—fragments of encircling dark—fountains, and steadily dancing battlers—those fiery spirits, the cold smoulder of spent wood, but psychic wonders beyond the sight of mortals, transcendence, deep—high—nobility—and where fall the days of light?—they are always there, just out of our time’s reach, but it is FALLING! The trick is failing, the composite parts FALLING APART, AND THE SHRIEKS OF AGONY AS THE ABOMINATION SELF-DESTRUCTS IS BEYOND MY C A P A C I T I E S

I have failed, and the spiritual scars—so much more potent, so much deeper than live decomposition—they shall remain for eternity.

duncan

Mmm. Pretty potent stuff, there. I'm glad I decided to review Aftershock now, for it always gets my tired mind thinking.

This chapter was...different? Not the right word, but it felt different than the norm. Your plot is getting almost as confusing as mine, here. Luphinid really turned a corner here, and this chapter showed that. However...to be honest, I really didn't like it AS much as usual.

It's just that the plot seemed to get away from me here. No, I understood it, but I'm left with a feeling of not knowing what's next.

Now that I think about it, it is (perhaps) somewhat how Luphinid actually feels. Gah! How you've twisted my mind with all the complexities...I can't even write a real review now...

So I'll leave that there, then. The more I think about it, the more this chapter seems to be a middle point, so to speak, in Luphinid's life (or death, I suppose). I'm just very, very curious as to what's happening next, because I don't have the slightest (okay...maybe the SLIGHTEST) idea what's going to happen next. Suppose I'll wait for the next chapter for that, won't I? Sorry this took so long, BTW. I'll make up for it next time, I promise.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
duncan: Indeed, I think you've made a valiant effort with your idea so far. The style will change from now on.

I can't say I'm having anyone's thoughts answered yet, but here comes the next chapter, 17. My only condolence and assurance to you is that it all means something. Really. I'm not joking.

Aftershock
Chapter 17​

Had I made a mental note earlier to elude all possibilities of emotional involvement with my work? Certainly I would not approve of becoming so captivated by my previous failure that I begin naming dramatic lines as to the scars of my soul. I don’t know what deranged state I was in then, but this vague feeling of disappointment is certainly not a wound that never heals, or any literary alternative. I’ve ‘returned to my senses’ far too many times, now, and life would be so much more providential if I was simply told what “my senses” are in the first place. I feel I’m in an entirely reasonable and emotionally neutral state of mind now, but I can never know.

Moving on, I don’t have any plans to stop searching for a loophole to Sabrina’s restriction; this failure was logical and well-deserved, and as I refine the process, I will have greater and greater chances of success. The technical reasons for its backfire were obvious enough—the fragments were there, organized into the correct mental structure, but there was no underlying tendency, not even some force, to hold it all together (for lack of a more accurate term). Those thoughts had been part of other minds; they had been made for those minds solely, and recognized only the particular configuration of thoughts and feelings which made up those minds. It is also clear what [not] to do from here. But now I see something new—some… thing, I can hardly say whether it is a perception of the universe or a truth or merely an object in it. It has to do with our position on the cosmic scale—how we are banned from true art, free will, immortality, infinity in any form, and several other utopian gifts. Trying to find a way around my current project, I feel, is just the tip of the iceberg—what about my newfound hatred of determinism, my individuality? It’s not right that we mortals, sole inheritors of the world and its finest creations, should wallow in death and lowliness as I so extravagantly did. There must be a force somewhere limiting us to this, and if it is a force, if it is anything at all, it can be defied. I have all eternity to practice, after all.

Well, I’ll let the matter rest for now. But I finally have a destination, and a means to reach it. My first defiance will be the creation of a separate and perfectly functional organism, with no damage to the creator or the creation.

I only just awoke from this plane’s equivalent of sleep. I am impressed.

The memory seems to fade far more slowly than in the upper plane, and I can still write what I remember before it goes away. With extremely slow detail, I could see the past experiences being digested—associations made, actual logical deductions forming from seemingly disparate facts with breathtaking clarity. I remember none of the processes, merely the fact of their happening, but I believe they will rise to the surface when I attempt them consciously, far more quickly than otherwise. In this way, sleep is perhaps a way to optimize mental performance. This is not, however, the smallest fraction of the true reason for my exhilaration. Shortly after it was felt that this process had completed, my mind… shut down—fell into inactivity—no mechanical or electronic term is appropriate for the act. All my contradictory thoughts neutralized at a single point, and I was nothing, I was nonentity—and I escaped the cruel irony of false freedom. None of these mortal limitations applied to me, for I did not exist; I was no force, so I could not be defied by power earthly or otherwise. But I ought to correct my implied meaning; I could not be defied if I exerted a force. This was a position of… nonentity, and I was impotent entirely. What thrilled me were two advantages to such a state—when activity on my part ceased, I was open to things I never knew could have existed, with such subtle magnificence that I feel ashamed now that I have none of the maturity to listen, once again. And my non-existence, most importantly, meant that I was outside the power of determinism—I did not think, I did not act, and because of this my thoughts and actions could not be controlled.

Is this perhaps the answer, the strategy to employ against fate? Inactivity was always so very enticing to me… but, of course, I know my will to act is now far stronger. I always knew this. Freedom includes the ability to act without restrictions or outside influences, and eschewing action itself is a great restriction. This may be my preferred strategy had I desired solely to spite fate, but I also have other interests, other lusts.

[STOP]
[RESUME]

Redundancy, I fear, is an unfortunate circumstance of this existence. In any case, what can I do? Until I begin a sufficient wealth of projects between which I can interchange at will, I will have to make do with constant work on simply one or two. [and i think my mind is astronomical in breadth] I will return to my work on the restrictions in creating complete entities.

It was always a given fact that I would not entirely abandon the slow, painful process of supplementing created minds with their missing components. Obviously there are ways that preserve at least the structural integrity of the mind, if not its wholeness or complete sanity. How do consciousness generators carry out their tasks, and why is it so that the basic powers of thought and reason, and most necessary structures, remain in both the creating and the created entities in the more natural process Sabrina so easily discovered? I could use the conventional method first to gain a direct view of its working and shortcomings, I could delve into my own mind to look for the structures that facilitate this process to such a degree, or I could look for a conveniently placed generator and examine how, exactly, energy is shaped into mutually compatible constructs. Of these options the first would take far too much time, and the second too much work—it would take more acuity and meticulousness than I am willing to devote to it. The third choice seems to me the most attractive, unreasonably so, and I think the reason for this lies outside simple necessity. …With so much time to waste, should I begin actually uncovering the answers to mysteries like these? I don’t think so; I feel like procrastinating.

Now I spread my awareness once again, and though this is only the third time it already feels like second nature: it is one of the fundamental instincts which a rebirth of this order would grant me. It feels… suspiciously… like, the reality in shift from complex to theoretic plane, shift from this to that plane, shift from to plane… Excuse me. Spreading my awareness feels suspiciously like moving from the complex to the theoretic plane, as I so often do [did] during a righting. It’s no easy matter to narrate while carrying out a complex mental manoeuvre like this. Anyway, does this mean that the two are similar? I shall have to ask someone.

Ah, but I shouldn’t be thinking so mildly and neutrally! My old age is coming on, only a few days [weeks] [months] [years] after my rebirth. Here full in my view, in the main interface of the plane, are the masses of the great unwashed once again, with all their petty, deformed passions and unclean thoughts. It would be so advantageous to use my new transcendence to rise haughtily above the filth and deem myself a greater creature, but something— is it…reason? —forces me not to. I would also like to say I would deeply appreciate a bypass to send me on my way without coming in such close contact with this, with the disgraces to several laws of sensibility, righting, art and even science, but that would be an unforgivable tangent from the truth. Of course it gives me so much pleasure to insult and snark like a crude poochyena.

…I’m standing here purposelessly, like a fool. Let me cease all further reflections.

I suppose the reasonable thing to do now is to move in an essentially random direction, looking for that odd air of purpose which surrounds a generator. I’m on the subplane now that deals with the waste energy, the reject and the scrap; I can see a construct for the disintegration of consciousnesses, and a wide disorienting sea of meaningless shards of thought. I can see the vaguest hint of a purpose field, and I’m approaching it. It’s a strange experience; my consciousness is passing straight through the purpose like a ghost, but I can feel its presence, if nothing more.

…How very strange! The generator is there all right, but it’s pulling at me very feebly, with ghostly fingers—if I’m allowed to make the metaphor. I am merely projecting my consciousness into this plane, but somehow it can sense this insubstantial outcrop of my existence. It seems clear that either my projection is just massive enough to satisfy the generator, or something of my consciousness is being pulled through the projection. Both possibilities are equally unlikely. I will most certainly investigate… Sweet hell!

What is this generator absorbing?

I will go on a tangent here to describe a phenomenon I previously felt somehow unworthy of research. As a result I am not acquainted with its particulars, but… Pokemon types, to be completely precise, are attributes of energy which are fundamental to the energy itself. These essentially take the position of elements in the theoretic plane, though this does not carry on to the complex level; a body made of the fire-type may become hydrogen, oxygen or even a compound like kerosene on the complex plane. The source and its projection, however, must be related by way of concrete concepts in the theoretic plane (insofar as ‘concrete’ can even describe the word ‘concept’).

Humans (with exceptions like my assimilation-riddled body) are generally made of the normal-type, as are certain objects. Most pokemon, however, consist of more exotic types which equate to actual evolutionary advantages on the complex plane: a fire-type with a tolerance for high temperatures, or a water-type with natural psychic command over clear liquids. (To make this perfectly clear, all humans are granted psychic ability, though this is very suppressed and only exhibits itself under the influence of skilled psychics or when the human in question possesses the patience to develop it independently. Psychic-types, of course, have great skill in their practices, and certain other pokemon can psychically affect objects made of the same type as they are; their other physical talents make up for this limitation. )

Coming back to our subject, it is speculated that all energy made of a specific type interacts with itself over distances to form a large organized system, regulating creation and destruction and consciousnesses to keep the system under check. In this way, it is possible, with sufficient mental fortitude, for a consciousness of any type to communicate with and even affect other components of its type. Of course, this not only theoretical but unproven… but I am digressing, once again. Soon I shall be a rambling, wizened old scholar.

Well, some very strange things are happening in this generator. It seems to be taking far more than its share; it’s supplying itself with matter from other planes, planes which have no waste energy at all; and this matter is most specifically dark-type. It’s forming something—a consciousness—but the consciousness seems to have already projected itself onto the complex plane! This being is, as far as I know, fully formed, but the generator keeps giving it more power, more complexity.

Could it be (as I was rambling) that the generator has somehow assimilated a piece of dark-type energy and is now interacting directly with the network? Here mental power of will is not a factor—if the generator requests matter, it gets it. And according to calculations the required power to affect the system is not even very much; pure psychic-type pokemon have it, as do humans. (The normal and psychic are the only types which would not form a system. The normal type is strictly not one at all, being plain energy with no attributes, and the psychic type, made of a pure offshoot of thought that resembles most closely fundamental energy, already has something like an estranged system: the theoretic plane itself. If these types were to gain membership into another system, however, all hell would break loose.)

I wonder how to move down into the complex projection of this theoretic stage, and there, quick as a flash, the information is clear in my mind. It would be dramatic to say that I move as if another will is upon me, and the movement of a hand seems to me like another’s movement, but for one I have no hands in this state of existence, and for a more serious another the instinctive actions that I am now performing seem clearly to be my own, however involuntary they may be. They are as familiar to me as my thoughts.

Look up remotely that specific construct, bend my will towards it, feed it the information it prompts, and I can nearly swear I have done this million times before. The sudden surge of identity comes next, I believe. [microscopic stumbles cosmic apocalyptic falls and]

And, shortly afterwards…

[
[UNRECOGNIZABLE DATA. UNABLE TO RECORD. PLEASE CHE]

Ah, that familiar exhilaration which tells me I have been copied and reassembled completely into a new consciousness, which reminds me of the disorderly rage—and extremely intriguing unrestrained thoughts—that passed through me during the instant of my dismantling and assembly. Of course, my mind remembers the exact structure of my body, and knows to modify it out of the most fundamental flaws.

I’m opening my eyes, and as the ambiguity of mental connections resolves into definite matter, it seems not so much reality as an illusion I am stepping into, or rather a decayed adaptation of the truth, fallen from its universal throne. The first impression upon me is that of cold white expanse, but I am protected—my mind has materialized the necessary accessories. I see triangles, tangents of constellations, which slowly separate into galaxies and finally become the distant light of cities. My business, however, is behind me: the rock wall bounding this craggy mountain is cut by a fold, leading deep inside.

The walls curve with wild abandon, taking whichever random angle they will, and their alcoves remind me of a living mind with no master but itself.

But there is a smell in the air now. It has an aura of defiance to me, and it vibrates in rebellion against mechanical controls, it seems to say I am infinite, I am omniscient, why must I be impotent? It is no substance but a complete entity, but only the outermost vestige of it. Its wispiness in itself beckons me; I must see more.

I follow, my head raised in hypnotic enthrallment, like the children after the avenging Chimecho with its deceptive melodies. The very idea of deliverance drives me on, and I shake my head and smile in amusement at my realization that I am according to a mortal creature the immortality of a godly idea, but I accord it nonetheless. The air of airy castles ebbs and flows, seeming to come closer before receding frustratingly equally back, and—oh! The insubstantial trickle is now a raging river! I had never noticed its growth. But how I wish to know now the object of my labour, complete and astounding solely in its existence! The realization of another dream is all I need to spur on my efforts towards the materializing of my own. The beauty, seen in greater and greater and more brilliant glimmers, the beauty of infinite preservation and the resurrection of the dead—!

—is a hopeless, meaningless cause. It is randomness, the bland thoughtless anarchy of randomness. This is the reward of those who toil against the only system they know: this being, this… abomination, which knows no order and no semblance of instinct towards it, which knows nothing and thinks nothing, which can feel everything but seem to itself and its observers as a subject of the most meaningless passions, imbalances of the emotional fluid. But the deepest torture is that I recognize myself in it—I see the themes and emotions, among the turmoil, that I hold so dear, and I see the terrible sight of their denouncement by my own eyes, my grey indifference to that which I know is the essence of my being, that bright untarnished sapphire and gold, and its revival.

And my scholarly enthusiasm fades, and so does my fevered pursuit, and my yearning for that beyond and above me, and my weakly contemptuous lack of feeling, and my horror. And as the mist of my conflicting thoughts falls to make way for physical clarity, I see the figure of a cool blue pokèmon paddling her fins and slithering her mermaid’s tail, before disappearing in a cloud of black. And I sigh and follow the being.

Last edited: