• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aftershock

Psyblade

Inspiration Seeker.
Ah, we are shocked by the mental rambling we are indulging in...
As I am shocked by the recent two chapters both being labeled number sixteen. :p

This is more becoming of a diary then fiction...
Well, isn't fiction a diary with a plot?
To be honest, there is a plot in a diary, but let's leave destiny away for a while, for talking about it takes much time, and I always find myself in the worst state of mind when reading Aftershock. (I should say 'before', if not the random cruel thought.)

You know how to mess us up. Cheers.

Ah, from all the words I see, I could see how the mechanisms here work in the universe of Aftershock.
It's more or less like Like Terms in solving equations. Good, I could see something now.

I like the idea of us having psychic powers (Yes, I am that miserable), but let's not forget, that this is Aftershock.

Oh, well. I would dare to say that this isn't...the heaviest chapter with action, or the one with the heaviest dose of darkness. But it's fun to read something neutral for a change, and this fits the bill.

*I sigh* Luphinid seems to become an equilivent of a computer, which has a strange non-verbal pun when you consider how dependent computers are on logic. I see something behind a lot of what I read.

I am impressed, yet again. You never fail to surprise me.

But I can't help to say that I am still hung in the air. Still, I found solid ground at this chapter, there seems to be a change in style.
Good news over, lucky, none bad.

Is this perhaps the answer, the strategy to employ against fate? Inactivity was always so very enticing to me… but, of course, I know my will to act is now far stronger. I always knew this. Freedom includes the ability to act without restrictions or outside influences, and eschewing action itself is a great restriction. This may be my preferred strategy had I desired solely to spite fate, but I also have other interests, other lusts.
[STOP]
[RESUME]

Redundancy, I fear, is an unfortunate circumstance of this existence. In any case, what can I do? Until I begin a sufficient wealth of projects between which I can interchange at will, I will have to make do with constant work on simply one or two. [and i think my mind is astronomical in breadth] I will return to my work on the restrictions in creating complete entities.

Ah, unconnected thoughts, we all love that.
Just a question, why does Luphinid have a grudge against fate...?
I have a half-answer, but I would love to hear yours first.

It’s no easy matter to narrate while carrying out a complex mental maneuver like this.
*I laugh* Nor is it easy to have our minds walking alongside the narration.

Oh, God...I have my spelling proving itself rebellious.
Oh, well...let mortal bodies die, while minds flourish.

The beauty, seen in greater and greater and more brilliant glimmers, the beauty of infinite preservation and the resurrection of the dead—!

—is a hopeless, meaningless cause. It is randomness, the bland thoughtless anarchy of randomness. This is the reward of those who toil against the only system they know: this being, this… abomination, which knows no order and no semblance of instinct towards it, which knows nothing and thinks nothing, which can feel everything but seem to itself and its observers as a subject of the most meaningless passions, imbalances of the emotional fluid. But the deepest torture is that I recognize myself in it—I see the themes and emotions, among the turmoil, that I hold so dear, and I see the terrible sight of their denouncement by my own eyes, my grey indifference to that which I know is the essence of my being, that bright untarnished sapphire and gold, and its revival.

And my scholarly enthusiasm fades, and so does my fevered pursuit, and my yearning for that beyond and above me, and my weakly contemptuous lack of feeling, and my horror. And as the mist of my conflicting thoughts falls to make way for physical clarity, I see the figure of a cool blue pokèmon paddling her fins and slithering her mermaid’s tail, before disappearing in a cloud of black. And I sigh and follow the being.

I must say, that this is an excellent way to end a chapter.

I am deeply sorry that I have nothing of worth to add to this pitiful excuse of a review, but, at least I tried.

*Salute*

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
This is more becoming of a diary then fiction...
Well, isn't fiction a diary with a plot?
To be honest, there is a plot in a diary, but let's leave destiny away for a while, for talking about it takes much time, and I always find myself in the worst state of mind when reading Aftershock. (I should say 'before', if not the random cruel thought.)

It's all right. I cheat when I ask anyone to try to pick up these mangled threads of mine and try to make the sense of them that I never could.

Ah, from all the words I see, I could see how the mechanisms here work in the universe of Aftershock.
It's more or less like Like Terms in solving equations. Good, I could see something now.

Like terms? *glances at polynomial long-division* I'm afraid I don't see your link.

Oh, well. I would dare to say that this isn't...the heaviest chapter with action, or the one with the heaviest dose of darkness. But it's fun to read something neutral for a change, and this fits the bill.

*I sigh* Luphinid seems to become an equilivent of a computer, which has a strange non-verbal pun when you consider how dependent computers are on logic. I see something behind a lot of what I read.

All shall come in time. The action first (indeed, next chapter), the darkness next. Luphinid may be failing in his unpleasant dark thoughts, but nothing of even that order would stop me. ...My god, I'm running out of chapters. My original intention was to write exactly twenty-one chapters, one prologue, and two bridges, which would divide it nicely into groups of seven with dividing notes and an introduction, but now everything depends on how many chapters it would take for the rest of the story to be narrated out.

And Luphinid isn't very inorganic at all. His cause, by his own definition, is that of heroic individuality; his thoughts filled with strange passions.

Ah, unconnected thoughts, we all love that.
Just a question, why does Luphinid have a grudge against fate...?
I have a half-answer, but I would love to hear yours first.

The answer to this is not quite single or definitive, and it will develop and take on different forms as the story proceeds. However, without spoiling, I can say this much that at this point he knows his hatred to be nothing more than a child of chance. Fate, if you will. *grins toothedly* A lot of orderless thoughts were passing through his mind the moments after he had 'transcended', and a long-standing vain adoration for individuality became associated with his conversation with Ruki Ferena, in which he learnt about the special role of fate in their lives and randomly, meaninglessly, remarked that this was very much like shepherding. Also, he needed something to do. More reasons for his hatred will arise to give meaning to his obsession (or, if you wish to call it that, the true reason behind his thoughts will arise later to unify his thoughts).

Oh, well...let mortal bodies die, while minds flourish.

Ayn Rand read that. She wants to have a talk with you.

Well, thank you for the greatly appreciated comments, and the courtesy indicating that you've read.

duncan

Here again, I'm entirely too late. However, what a chapter you've made in my absence. Like the previous chapter, this got my mind spinning in ways only Aftershock can make it.

I've never read a fic anywhere near this. How you describe Luphinid in the spiritual plane...and how none of it sounds wrong, awkward or misplaced. Fantastic. Only you could continue writing the fic after the main character has died. XD

Things have actually taken an interesting turn, here. The dark generator (which is what I'll call it) is intriguing. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to energies (which, apparently, you are) but this seems to be something more. Perhaps could this be something feeding Luphinind himself? I doubt it, but the possibilities are quite huge. Interesting stuff, for sure.

And my scholarly enthusiasm fades, and so does my fevered pursuit, and my yearning for that beyond and above me, and my weakly contemptuous lack of feeling, and my horror. And as the mist of my conflicting thoughts falls to make way for physical clarity, I see the figure of a cool blue pokèmon paddling her fins and slithering her mermaid’s tail, before disappearing in a cloud of black. And I sigh and follow the being.

Hmm. Something unexpected, for sure. A Vaporeon (correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what it looks like to me) just appears there, and leads Luphinid away? As to it's motives, I have no idea. The next chapter should prove very interesting, indeed.

And, shortly afterwards…

[
[UNRECOGNIZABLE DATA. UNABLE TO RECORD. PLEASE CHE]

I imagine this would have been very interesting, should it have been recorded.

Like Psyblade, I like the way you have portrayed the various types. What makes me curious is how, on theoretic plane, everything is basically broken down to elements. Gives me more to think about, then, in regards with the theoretic plane (like I needed any more to think about? XD).

Again, I apologize for the late review. It really shouldn't happen again, I think. Good chapter, as more was explained here. And the dark generator is still very interesting to me, as well. I certainly look forward to the next chapter.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Well, your review made me happy. You correctly grasped for several very important plot points.

I've never read a fic anywhere near this. How you describe Luphinid in the spiritual plane...and how none of it sounds wrong, awkward or misplaced. Fantastic. Only you could continue writing the fic after the main character has died. XD

Accepted, but it messes up my pipe dream to make this into the visual medium someday. A Pokémon-style bright animé medium would suit the first seven chapters, and a change into darker seinen would work well with the second, but I don't know how any artist could represent an entirely senseless mental world for the third. This, I suppose, is the special trait of writing over other media: concepts alone can be invoked with hardly an intermediate sense.

Things have actually taken an interesting turn, here. The dark generator (which is what I'll call it) is intriguing. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to energies (which, apparently, you are) but this seems to be something more. Perhaps could this be something feeding Luphinind himself? I doubt it, but the possibilities are quite huge. Interesting stuff, for sure.

This is the main point you hit on so well. The possibilities are numerous, but your particular idea is close to the truth. I've given a direction in which you can turn your thoughts if you may.

Hmm. Something unexpected, for sure. A Vaporeon (correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what it looks like to me) just appears there, and leads Luphinid away? As to it's motives, I have no idea. The next chapter should prove very interesting, indeed.

You're correct as to the species, but must remember that the Vaporeon is specifically a she. And her identity and motives aren't quite as far-out or exotic--think back to Missingno. and all you know about it.

Again, I apologize for the late review. It really shouldn't happen again, I think. Good chapter, as more was explained here. And the dark generator is still very interesting to me, as well. I certainly look forward to the next chapter.

I understand you were away from a link to the internet for some time?

Last edited:

porygon181

Master of the Riddle
Mm, I have failed as a loyal follower of this story. But I have caught up, and now that I've read the last two chapters, I honestly can't remember how in the world I let myself fall behind on this. Your story continues to amaze me.

I really liked the part where he tried to make his own little Frankenstein Creature in chapter sixteen. I got the impression that he was trying to recreate his own sort of Ruki, and that's one of the reasons he got emotionally attached to her/it. But I kind of have an elementary mind for deductions like these; I just see the romantic ideas that I want to see.

I have absolutely nothing constructive to say other than that I loved the chapters, and to ask one question.

(The normal and psychic are the only types which would not form a system. The normal type is strictly not one at all, being plain energy with no attributes, and the psychic type, made of a pure offshoot of thought that resembles most closely fundamental energy, already has something like an estranged system: the theoretic plane itself. If these types were to gain membership into another system, however, all hell would break loose.)

Isn't that exactly what Ytarrik and Amaren did? "Gain membership" with each other? And if that was the point you were trying to make, wouldn't that make this entire story basically a chronicle of the "Aftershock" after hell broke loose?

I think that's all I have to ramble about. =)

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Mm, I have failed as a loyal follower of this story. But I have caught up, and now that I've read the last two chapters, I honestly can't remember how in the world I let myself fall behind on this. Your story continues to amaze me.

'Thappens, 'thappens. Good fortune that you dropped out so close to my fallout from any sort of regularity. I didn't have much done to burden you with.

I really liked the part where he tried to make his own little Frankenstein Creature in chapter sixteen. I got the impression that he was trying to recreate his own sort of Ruki, and that's one of the reasons he got emotionally attached to her/it. But I kind of have an elementary mind for deductions like these; I just see the romantic ideas that I want to see.

You're quite correct, you saw one feature of it. Others have seen other features, in perhaps more disconnected ways.

Isn't that exactly what Ytarrik and Amaren did? "Gain membership" with each other? And if that was the point you were trying to make, wouldn't that make this entire story basically a chronicle of the "Aftershock" after hell broke loose?

O.O

You hold that thought! If word gets out, everyone will know! The only thing vaguely incorrect there is the speculation about the title. The aftershock began long ago, and has deeper roots than that.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Here, next chapter. Some things are explained, some things expositioned. You'll begin to know what the hell Luphinid is talking about, though not entirely. It's also nicely large and meaty.

Aftershock
Chapter 18​

[Are you a great fan of the vaporeon, then?]

[Well, somewhat; I mean, not particularly,] replies Ruki to my question. [I needed a form, a nice, unrelated form that couldn’t be affected by… oh, long story.]

[And how unusual is it for a creature like that to spontaneously cease to exist?] I knew the answer, of course.

[Very unusual, Luphinid, very unusual. So very unusual that I can’t see the cause at all. Every known event of any… significance…] She seems to struggle with defining the thought, but eventually she realizes she is too distracted and trails off.

[Explain it to me once and fully. A piece of energy which had once been dark-type flared again, moments before it was to be consumed by a generator, and forced the generator to create that anomaly by the understood method. Then?]

[Then I was notified of it and sent to stop the process of growth, and provide any necessary force to cause it to collapse. It is a simple process but a long and tiring one, and I had no expectations for it to give anything but every possible resistance. However, moments before I began my work, it began dying and imploded upon itself. I don’t expect much credibility, but I’m almost certain it was somehow losing energy, as if the generator began working in reverse.]

[And that was when I came.]

[Moments before the final implosion.] Now agitation once again has the upper hand over formality in the battlefield of her mind, but there seems to have been a compromise: this is now a productive agitation, and I can sense the air of predictions, theories, deductions rising like sawdust from a fevered woodcutter out of her mind. I can show or feel nothing but bewilderment over the whole affair.

[It seems like I had some part in it.] It sounds improbable to my own mind.

[How could you have? You knew nothing about me or it when you came; and the implosion began before you had arrived.]

[Are there really so few loopholes to that in this universe?]

[Yes, there are.]

Suddenly I see the truth in the statement: both the superficial indication and the core meaning. My behaviour has been that of an overexcited child who finds his charmander learnt the move Ember and sees the world as his for the taking. This, then, is my final attempt at moderation: perceive the world exactly as it is. Perceive the world exactly as it is. Perceive the world exactly as it is, perceive the world exactly as it is, perceive the world exactly as it is. Perceive the world as it shou—exactly as it is.

But I have been perceiving the world as it is, and it tells me nothing but the truth. The bond I felt with the creature is truth. Truth is that there was some link between myself and the destruction or the raising of the wrong, and the first verdict of reason has nothing to do with the authority of the truth which I know as my right in this state of being. My reasoning may be flawed, but my perception is perfect.

[I understand your sentiments,] Ruki answers. [I’ll say no more. I know the paths the mind follows in this condition.] She seems at least as abashed as I was when she admonished me. Have we both been out of line?

But I’m forgetting common courtesy! (It must still hold true for this existence.) [Don’t feel you have to leave on my part. Stay, if you will.]

Does the reader see as clearly through my disguise as Ruki does? You must have noticed the hidden intent behind my words.

[All right,] she says, amused, [I’ll remain.]

That shining being, made purely of light and sky, could not have existed only in my mind. I could not have been so deceived as to have entirely invented all of her virtues; Ruki Ferena, beginning trainer, was certainly the same as Ruki Ferena before me. Can I not draw out the personality of the former from the smouldering latter? She is capable of all that I have seen her be and do.

Or was the light not within her, but in some irretrievable facet of my own universe?

[Incidentally,] I continue valiantly, [in your time on my plane, how did you manage to appear entirely normal to any passer-by, and fool even a seasoned psychic-type with your disguise?]

[It was indeed rather easier than one would think. The mind and behaviour of the Ruki you saw almost exactly reflects that of the aristocrat Ruki at a young age. The memory is very slightly clarified in this state of existence, and my childhood days were very clear to me even then—even now. But—]

[—You undeniably felt conflicted still. You’re familiar with the personality of the trainer Ruki, but you don’t approve of it at heart, or truly feel at home in it.]

[Very shrewd. No, existence in that state had a thrilling attraction to it, but it was that of an overdosed, almost guilty pleasure. I allowed my id to get the better of me more easily than I had known possible, but something in me eternally disapproved of the whole affair. And I suddenly lost maturity along with all its sanctions, and the assurance to tackle the simplest emotional conflicts.]

[But, looking at your standards, I can’t help but think that you were never really this irresponsible. It seems inconceivable, despite your several centuries of existence]—do you remember the ghost at Lavender? I do—[that this was ever your natural state.]

Amusement: [In fact, you’re right. I was always very slightly boring, firmly based, refusing to rise up and come to any form of excess unless I approved of all it meant.]

And there was a time when I called her immature.

We close ourselves off for a few minutes, the both of us reflecting on what was lost. I remember the days when, sprawled out on the warm grass, I would pore over the formulae I thought to be so impossibly complex, and my mind so brilliant to find meaning in them. Ruki would be sitting tall and straight a few feet off, and what I realize now—that her amusement came not from my neck-deep dives in complex battle mechanics, but the mere sight of a young boy so earnestly focusing into the little he could then accomplish—was hidden to me then. I would call out impromptu lectures on what I found most deeply interesting; my efforts at bringing the unified and boundless into strict mathematics seem so juvenile before her wistful remembrance of the lack of cares she never permitted herself. But, then—I cannot deny it—if preferring the state of strict discipline is childish, I proclaim my immaturity with pride.

[If it remains apart from the rest of the universe, Luphinid,] Ruki suddenly asks, [does it still have the right to its smallest, most modest contribution?]

I know exactly what she means, but must I face it?

In a quiet, almost defeated tone, she adds: [Does the irresponsible father have the right to his child?]

The intent behind the words is what jerks me back. It feels futile, a wrinkled hand at the end of its struggle, letting go of what it held dear, because it knows better than to keep after it. In the space of two lifetimes I’ve never learnt this final lesson, and I must not let go.

[Does the struggling line of ancient trees have the right to existence? We were great once, Ruki, and the girth of our greatness may be gone but we still have the seed. We can grow it back.]

The shot of adrenaline was delivered true and well, and the voice that now replies is calm and assured [certainly, certainly, CERTAINLY]

[Of course. In any case we are deep, inseparable friends, and those days still live on in our memories.] Her mental gesture is like a sigh. [Who are we to decide? The progression of fate made our time together a complete, separate universe of its own, to be taken as granted and accepted with no relation to our world. We’ll have merely to see what it chooses.]

But there is something in this sentence that distresses me terribly; it is reflected in the contraction of the word will, and suggests to me the ancient memory of looking up at what I could see as nothing more than whimsical chaos, watching the naked shape of my shining companion be swallowed in its insignificance. I feel the helplessness she has borne for so long now; I cannot understand it. What is it?

[Do you not see the empty terror of this?] She gives no answer. [To control a human being, to know every hope, dream, aspiration, every menial thought or trait, is your own will—it’s heinous. It’s worse than murder, it’s—it’s—]

[The complete destruction of the human soul,] she finishes. [I know, clearly and completely.]

[It begins with the values. It takes your heaven, all that is pure and joyous to you—and all that means nothing to fate, only another pawn, it means zero—and it corrupts them over the course of its threads, having its meaning pulled away, dispersed, like a dissipating halo, until you can look back at its life and death and feel, my god, that terrible indifference. My last memories are the most precious to me, and I cannot see them corrupted.]

I cannot see the final negation, I want to finish for myself, my question answered. It’s the negation that I hate and fear.

[But, Amaren, this is nothing new. This is the way the universe has been turning. You must accept it, because this is what you are; you must realize that the soul had never been destroyed, because it never was. You must learn not to pine for something entirely out of the question.]

[I know, do you think this is hidden from me?]

[Certainly, certainly.] And, on the compulsion both of us know, we distance from each other once again.

STOP

[{//\/\/\/\/\//\\//\\//\/\/\|/|\|/\/\/\\//\\//\\/\/\/\/\/\//}]​

RESUME

The latest setback on my project did away with my productive urge, and the general tendencies of inaction have miraculously given me reason to procrastinate. I have been spending a few useless hours reflecting on the memories I had summoned solely for the purpose of my project, and I’ll waste no more than this paragraph in alluding to them.

I hit again a point of no production—I know what I fear, I see the basic principle of any further actions, but what on earth do I do? The project is a valid choice, I accept, but even there I lack a definite line of inquiry.

It is nonetheless the only thread I have.

But… how?

It is clear what I must do to protect my sanity. Where is that construct… it must be exactly here…! Ah. [the mountain is clear but Route 5 unrecognizable]

[
[UNRECOGNIZABLE DATA. UNABLE TO RECORD. PL]

Ah, the virtues of a physical environment! It uplifts my soul and feeds fresh air to my mind. My head may have been turned by the conversion, but I feel elated enough to describe until my mental voice grows hoarse.

As I emerge out from the tropical undergrowth, a great tower of earth looms up before me, an ancient monolith with his shoulders draped with imperial coats of green. A crown, a halo, of black rumbling smoke rises from his open mouth, and his magnificent radiance shines out like a beacon to colour the clouds red—red like blood, like wrath, like kings’ velvet. His two arms are placed regally before him to enclose his kingdom, and though they are black and hardened with centuries’ rule and war, their caress is gentle enough to support a budding town, and a multitude of young, green leaves. His royalty is in warring and healing. I look over my shoulder, and see the extent of his might: those cold, creeping waves rolling up to the beach turn before they are half-extended, and return meekly to their province; their lightless, heatless, clammy insides do not make the slightest attempts to make war upon the volcano’s kingdom. The sea’s heaving bosom rocks the little boats on the port as an anxious young nurse might rock the cradle of a baby, she moves forward timidly to ruffle the hair of those children before running back, her neck bared in submission. And I find that my thinking mechanisms have indeed gone sore.

Cinnabar Island, on the whole, is a peaceful and warm little place, with an endearing scientist community and only one objectionable site. This night feels benign enough even to warm my extremities. And here, if I am not mistaken, resides a dear old friend of mine which I somehow feel I must visit.

It takes only a few minutes to find the figure, for it glows like the great volcano—the biped with its long neck and lowered head, and the streamlined strip of dark blue fur brushed over the length of its back, with the single ring of low-burning fire around the neck. I watch the reserved typhlosion for a few moments, recalling her adamantly narrowed eyes and the inconspicuousness she manages so easily. Eventually I call out:

[Hello, Angin.]

She turns her head, startled, looking in my direction. Her eyes widen and she hurries my way.

She has a round pokéball shape painted into the side of her head; it’s a mark of approval by the Pokémon League recognizing that she has the knowledge of human civilization (but not the articulation) to move freely through human facilities without a trainer whenever she wishes. As she approaches, I (partially) fill in her remaining infirmity with a telepathic link.

[How?] is her first and only word.

I bring the entire tale out for scrutiny, and she gestures at the breadth of it.

[Well,] finally, [I don’t know what to say. I didn’t know what to make of your death, either. There’s not much sense I can or want to make out of the madness you enjoy. What do you plan to do now, though? I thought you already based yourself on the… whatever you call it.]

[Well, then, perhaps you weren’t completely shrewd when you were examining it. I intend on a visit to my hometown—you’ll soon see why.] In fact, my act is only an act. There is no indication from my memories that this would be the path to take, and no reason for me to take this into mind (let alone act on it).

[But what I wish to say is,] and this indeed had been planned, [it would be lovely if you could join me for a while.]

The typhlosion makes a slight expression of surprise, and hurri—[All right, I’ll be your temporary pokémon. But why?]

I raise my hand to my eyes, and black clouds flare up from within my sleeves; but as I place it in the path of the moonlight they shrink back in fear. [I only want something steady to lean on. If the monotony is creeping up, rest assured you will find upheaval where I go.]

I’m turning to head for the white, spotless ferry. [My old team must have been dispersed, or I would have my noctowl fly me there—of course, that wouldn’t accommodate you. What has happened to them, really? I suppose the morgue facilities must have taken them into custody, and since I have no will of any sort they must have been rehabilitated and released for the wild. It must be a relief for them, this is certain. None of them were born in captivity, and they must see their introduction to me as a largely negative event. No, wait—I believe I have destroyed their minds far enough to perhaps never allow them freedom. And Lepena, surely, was wrong from the beginning. Only Ytarrik was a sane exception (at least as sane as me, I mean), and he… oh, sweet hell!] “Uh… Yes, yes. This pokémon’s with me, receptionist.” [The memory’s so hazy… but I’m sure he was fused into my mind when I transcended, and that must have messed up the process deeply. Transcendence, after all, removes most serious psycho-physiological issues, and I can’t try and estimate how the device must have interpreted Ytarrik. Is he then dead? Is that why I felt I had to meet you rather than my first choice?] Angin’s neck-flames flare a little.

[I shall have to ask Ferena.]

STOPRESUME

My predictions are always correct: nothing of consequence has happened over the sleep period. Neither of us is skilled in conversation, and we have taken no scruples in a comfortable journey.

To those who are curious, my idyllic little ferry took the longer route into the Kanto Bay and straight for the port at Vermillion, arriving by the next evening. (I had carefully planned for the ferry which would do this.) My steadily increasing tolerance for the light held out until I could duck into shelter, and I waited restlessly until the full night. Angin appears to share the insomnia I have patiently developed over the ages. We made good time, and at this point, in a Saffron warehouse, the night is still thick. Angin already caught her prey from the outskirts, and I suppose I can still use my trainer account, using the confirmations of identification sensors as indication. I believe I can still do something, after all these years of corruption. The purpose is almost completely clear to me.

I feel I should share the suspicions I have developed over the day. I am still wary of the earlier incident at Mt. Coronet, when I had walked in on Ferena’s struggle with the wrong-creature. It is definitely no coincidence that the problem should have been solved moments before I arrived. I can hardly imagine what power I could have been bestowed with to allow such magnificent feats, but it seems clear that in my declared war against power-lusty destiny, I have been dealt the first blow. It was in the plan of fate to have me arrive and destroy the wrong; I had been brought without my consent of knowledge to serve my master. There can be no other explanation for how two such disparate things as my intention and the result of my actions could have ever been bound. Indeed, why do I call it a suspicion? I am certain.

And now I must confess to you a dark, understated, intense joy—my purpose is completely clear to me. No longer will any thought of mine ring without my deepest and most conscious consent, no event spiral out of my control, no possibility unseen and unaccounted for. It is time for me to gather every shard of my soul, every smallest resource, and bend it towards my own free will. To break the mortal bounds, to think a thought outside the plans of my master, is the purpose of my existence—and it is my own purpose, born of what I hold sacred and I will.

duncan

That, my friend, was a chapter. So Luphinid is now back on Earth, though in what capacity still makes me wonder. A ghost, perhaps? Or is he really flesh and bone? A small matter, however.

And more was explained about the dark generator, as well.

[Very unusual, Luphinid, very unusual. So very unusual that I can’t see the cause at all. Every known event of any… significance…] She seems to struggle with defining the thought, but eventually she realizes she is too distracted and trails off.

[Explain it to me once and fully. A piece of energy which had once been dark-type flared again, moments before it was to be consumed by a generator, and forced the generator to create that anomaly by the understood method. Then?]

[Then I was notified of it and sent to stop the process of growth, and provide any necessary force to cause it to collapse. It is a simple process but a long and tiring one, and I had no expectations for it to give anything but every possible resistance. However, moments before I began my work, it began dying and imploded upon itself. I don’t expect much credibility, but I’m almost certain it was somehow losing energy, as if the generator began working in reverse.]

Hmm...even with your hint, I still can't put my finger on exactly what it is. However, I don't think that's the last we'll hear of it...

[Does the struggling line of ancient trees have the right to existence? We were great once, Ruki, and the girth of our greatness may be gone but we still have the seed. We can grow it back.]

The shot of adrenaline was delivered true and well, and the voice that now replies is calm and assured [certainly, certainly, CERTAINLY]

[Of course. In any case we are deep, inseparable friends, and those days still live on in our memories.] Her mental gesture is like a sigh. [Who are we to decide? The progression of fate made our time together a complete, separate universe of its own, to be taken as granted and accepted with no relation to our world. We’ll have merely to see what it chooses.]

Yeah, the moment with these two was actually pretty interesting. And her outburst at the end was something that had been coming for a while, I thought.

As I emerge out from the tropical undergrowth, a great tower of earth looms up before me, an ancient monolith with his shoulders draped with imperial coats of green. A crown, a halo, of black rumbling smoke rises from his open mouth, and his magnificent radiance shines out like a beacon to colour the clouds red—red like blood, like wrath, like kings’ velvet. His two arms are placed regally before him to enclose his kingdom, and though they are black and hardened with centuries’ rule and war, their caress is gentle enough to support a budding town, and a multitude of young, green leaves. His royalty is in warring and healing. I look over my shoulder, and see the extent of his might: those cold, creeping waves rolling up to the beach turn before they are half-extended, and return meekly to their province; their lightless, heatless, clammy insides do not make the slightest attempts to make war upon the volcano’s kingdom. The sea’s heaving bosom rocks the little boats on the port as an anxious young nurse might rock the cradle of a baby, she moves forward timidly to ruffle the hair of those children before running back, her neck bared in submission. And I find that my thinking mechanisms have indeed gone sore.

Yes, this here was very good description, I thought.

I feel I should share the suspicions I have developed over the day. I am still wary of the earlier incident at Mt. Coronet, when I had walked in on Ferena’s struggle with the wrong-creature. It is definitely no coincidence that the problem should have been solved moments before I arrived. I can hardly imagine what power I could have been bestowed with to allow such magnificent feats, but it seems clear that in my declared war against power-lusty destiny, I have been dealt the first blow. It was in the plan of fate to have me arrive and destroy the wrong; I had been brought without my consent of knowledge to serve my master. There can be no other explanation for how two such disparate things as my intention and the result of my actions could have ever been bound. Indeed, why do I call it a suspicion? I am certain.

And now I must confess to you a dark, understated, intense joy—my purpose is completely clear to me. No longer will any thought of mine ring without my deepest and most conscious consent, no event spiral out of my control, no possibility unseen and unaccounted for. It is time for me to gather every shard of my soul, every smallest resource, and bend it towards my own free will. To break the mortal bounds, to think a thought outside the plans of my master, is the purpose of my existence—and it is my own purpose, born of what I hold sacred and I will.

This, I feel, is a major turning point in Aftershock. What happens next...I don't know. But certainly a big build up, no doubt.

Forgive my bad review, but I very much liked this chapter. My tired brain just can't come up with anything intelligent to say right now. XD

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
I have read chapters 1-3 and half of chapter 4. I keep trying to finish but keep of interruptions that I won't name. *coughMOMcough* But I will finish! I swear this to you!!

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
If only I was as careful with my grammatical errors and inconsistencies as I am now! The early chapters leer at me like desiccated corpses I murdered, saying when are you going to patch our flaws and fill our holes, Luphinid? we're awfully hungry... Incidentally, if anyone's curious, the way Luphinid sees the trainer Ruki, simply the thirteen-year-old girl without any ancient history attached to her, may be interpreted in any number of ways (the lines are very blurry), but I personally hold it to be romantic, albeit in a very limited sense. It certainly was no more than a very close friendship (so close, indeed, that perhaps "no more" is a misnomer for its closeness) when she was "alive", but after chapter 7 it morphed into what I can only recognize as romance, somewhere along the line. Don't ask me for an exact date of transition. Luphinid truly cannot remember. The way I see it and planned it, however, was that Luphinid begin seeing her as one very beautiful jewel--more, perhaps, than she actually ever was--in a way no healthy friendship or mourning would go. I might even say, paedophiliac.

That, my friend, was a chapter. So Luphinid is now back on Earth, though in what capacity still makes me wonder. A ghost, perhaps? Or is he really flesh and bone? A small matter, however.

Actually, this is a special privilege of those of his kind on the theoretic plane. He is completely material, and in fact with certain bodily improvements; the parasite and its effects aren't as severe and his life not as sucked dry as it was immediately before he died.

Hmm...even with your hint, I still can't put my finger on exactly what it is. However, I don't think that's the last we'll hear of it...

Indeed, it's one of the first. It would be very impressive if you could put your finger on it so early in.

Yeah, the moment with these two was actually pretty interesting. And her outburst at the end was something that had been coming for a while, I thought.

D'you mean Luphinid or Ruki's outburst? Luphinid himself needed to exercise his depressive energies in that direction for a lot of issues to begin. I can only see Ruki remaining calm and quietly despairing throughout.

Well, thank-you for the courtesy and the read.

kingferret53: I'm glad you began working on it. I can't quite say it will be an easy journey, but thanks.

Diddy

Renegade
I liked the foreword. I could almost hear you reading it to me; I never knew you sounded like Patrick Stewart. And I didn’t read the MAJOR SPOILERS box, as when I review I usually get into the fic and start following it, which after 8 reviews equals a lot of fics to follow, plus the ones I was already reading.

Anyway, onto the fic itself.

“I call you: Teaspoon!”

Lol. Genius.

and lunged for Amarin’s brother

His name seemed to have changed; it’s Amaren isn’t it.

The prologue was very nice. Not in the ‘everything is good’ sense, more like the way it was written; I liked the word sojourn by the way. We got some character past in there, and some character present, a bit influencing how the plot will turn.

I like the twist of that Amaren doesn’t really know anything about the outside world, like a child born in the Big Brother house, and who is forced to live there.

“They haven’t changed the rules,” she continued, “about maximum pokèmon in a party, though. Once you get seven or more, you have to pick six Pokèmon of your choice at a Pokèmon Center like this one, using that machine, over there – “ she indicated to a nondescript grey iron box at a corner of the room – “just before you leave any town at all, and you can’t change them until you reach the next town. Which means, of course, that these Concentrated Storage Devices mean exactly the same for us trainers as an ordinary pokèball. I really like Silph Co.’s sense of logic, don’t you?”

If the maximum party is still six, then why not make it so the maximum capacity of these strange rectangular devices is six. And what happens when you try to catch another pokemon, wouldn’t the pokecuboid get confused and release one already in the device. It seems very odd, I can understand the need for advancement, ‘cos its in the future and all, it’s just hard to wrap your head round is all.

I like Abra’s character, the fact that it feels himself higher than Amaren.

[No!] he cried, sending a wave of affectionate irritation into Amaren’s mind. [Don’t debase the beauty of a verbal work of art!]

And that’s why ‘Ytarrik’ (pretty cool name, reminds me of Oblivion.) is awesome.

[It’s on the note attached so delicately to the back of the card, that you tore off two seconds ago. You didn’t notice it, but if I couldn’t go into your subconscious memories and decipher what it said, I’m not an Abra, am I?]

Again awesome.

A heavily cloaked figure, it could, perhaps, be said to be shabbily dressed; but some aspect of its form seemed to cohere well with its old, ragged apparel. As to the manner of ancient times, it seemed to any who would watch as though the vestiges of its clothing trailed behind it in a long, winding tail, but closer perception would entirely confound the watcher, and he would be forced to admit that it seemed as if the very webs of shadow through which the figure purposefully waded drank in his presence, lingering behind him in aimless paths. And if the silver moonlight banished the dark cotton which spread its length into the corners of the city, this being seemed only to grow in its dark splendour and introverted glory when exposed to the subtle rays.

As if seeing a sign which only he could perceive, he stopped abruptly, turning to appraise a patch of darkness in the surrounding wall absolutely indistinguishable from the cloaked brick around it. He stepped into the pitch confines of the back alley and, as if melding into the darkness entirely, emerged out of its other end an instant later, half a mile away. The creature paused for a moment, then, as the sprawling vastnesses of a mansion and an old-fashioned laboratory complex revealed themselves to him.

Fifteen times had he listened to the story echoing within its spacious halls; fifteen times had it ended, unfinished, leaving him hanging. This was his sixteenth iteration, but it was different, special. This time, he would know the truth in its full.

Luphinid Remana Silnaek glided into the penultimate chord of his journeys.

Very, very purdy is this bit.

Grr. This is quite irritating, I’ve yet to notice any glaring errors in grammar. You’re not exactly making this easy for me ya know.

Ah the ego pop. Let me make a point on it.

Act does have a point in all of this; she (if the profile is to be trusted) makes a lot of valid points in the long, crazy, rant that was her post.

BUT. I would say after reading your many not-chapter posts and reading INTO them, I would say that you’re a very literate person who like me in some respects doesn’t like to pepper their words down just to make the populace like it. It is your work and if people don’t like the fact that you know more than one word for a certain term then they can sojourn to a different location.

However. (Rant I thought up while watching Derren Brown that I thought I had to add in)

Perfection. 1. Without flaws. 2. Not in need of altering. Perfection is a state of primordial unconsciousness brought on by sloth, the great sins greatest of traps. Once it has you believing you have attained perfection, you stop. Falling into the hands of the great mistress. For one cannot attain higher than perfection. Many things have been described as perfect, to use a nowadays example. The video game GTA: IV has been given a ‘perfect’ 10 by IGN, so did Halo 2 and also Pokemon Red & Blue. Were these games perfect, no they had flaws, there were points when they became dull, it can also be said that the reviewers of said games thought to be blinded by perfection that they did not wish to find flaws, again trapped by the vicious cycle of perfection. Perfection is a concept brought about by man, an abstract thought meant to describe the highest of things. Does the artist claim a work to be completely finished? No, he finds ways of improving. Does the novelist not review his work after finishing up his plot? Of course not, he frets about whether he could of improved on it. When asked, what is your favourite game, Pokemon Red or Halo 2? Judging by mans great concept of Perfection, the answer is they are both as good as each other, but we know they aren’t. For it is opinion that sets apart which game we prefer. And opinion does not equal fact.

Sorry for this, and I don’t know if it’s even relevant to what has been said. I just threw it in as it was stuck in my head and I thought someone could prosper from my crazy rant. And good news, my rating scale while being out of ten, doesn’t actually go up to ten; rather the highest possible award is a 9.9.

So it’s brought about that Amaren is Luphinid Remana Silnaek. Yay for anagrams, but where does the Luphinid come from.

Sorry for the jump in where this comes from but the main event will come at the end.

that haughty self-aggrandizing fire/water instability assurance of purple Curtains gold distractions aim mucH unnEcEssary boredom prevalent blank buffoonS thoughtlEss gormless beliefless speech-contradictions psychic assimilation superior over dark immature uncivilized drunkard unlike messself—I AM ONE AND BEYOND LEVELLINGS—egos far below me littering the expanse like lowly unfitting for my (my) my [my] my {my} [[NOBLETY]]

(Is this how my thoughts translated? I apologize profusely. I know that they seemed far more orderly when I saw them assembled there.)

[this life is]d[lost among greater matters]e[destructive]s[musty degradation, deformation, beyond all possible laws]pi (A cushion of mental blocks protected the core of my consciousness from the ravaging effects of a hypnagogic trance, and as my worst fears and petty desires raged around me as voices to a schizophrenic, my sanity was allowed to sail unmolested.) ca[this is no life]b[pathetic illusions]l[and no death]e[despicable]

skreeeaothelodhuuuuuuuu
[i need but to wade to a set of adjacent minds most similar in thought and experience]
uuuuuuuuhdolethoaeeerks

This was amazing.

Joke time.

I shall cease to describe the rest of the conversation, as there is very little point or harmony to it. [STOP]

Hammertime.

I have read it!!!

And now, (to reuse an old joke) its time for the sum-up [of all fears.]

On first looks it seems your trainer journey, but as the disclaimer you put up most correctly states, we weren’t in for a happy smiley adventure.

The prologue and encompassing chapters of Amaren and Ruki’s life were even at a typical trainer journey standard, rather humbling and fun to read. There was a genuine friendship between the two and you wrote it very well. The pokemon while not entirely the focus or having the maintained screen time, (with the very notable exception of Ytarrik, who Amaren kept in near constant communication with) were at best slightly above robotic in terms of personality. This however can be compensated by the fact that they were almost never going to be the axis of which this fiction revolved.

All together readable and enjoyable, it provided a most accepted hook to which leads you on to the emotional roller coaster that is the easily argued ‘better’ part.

Amaren’s fall and eventual transformation into Luphinid Remana Silnaek (all that from memory, how you word it well.) was extremely enjoyable to read as I found myself reading from the first bridge to the end in one consistent block. Luphinid’s fascination with ‘Righting’ and of course Assimilation Heightening, and overall madness was just amazing to behold, with magically described scenes of gore and Rattata explosions, (of which I was happy to learn you research most thoroughly.)

As an overall encompassed review of this, it was an amazing and extremely thought provoking read and will continue to follow it through to its end, which I urge you to do.

It would gain you a 9.0 out of 10, and the title as the winner of my favourite overall character in that of Luphinid. It is also now one of my favourite pieces on this website and I applaud you for bringing me to reading this fiction.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Given the grand scope of your review (rather commendable, I thought), I'll keep away from my usual style of quoting each portion and replying.

I sound like Patrick Stewart? Interesting. But you have read the development notes since you finished the latest chapter, correct?

The first few chapters have a lot of such small errors, especially in the prologue when I was in fact still fine-tuning the spelling of Amaren's name.

If the maximum party is still six, then why not make it so the maximum capacity of these strange rectangular devices is six. And what happens when you try to catch another pokemon, wouldn’t the pokecuboid get confused and release one already in the device. It seems very odd, I can understand the need for advancement, ‘cos its in the future and all, it’s just hard to wrap your head round is all.

Well, it only locks out any pokémon caught which is either not part of an already chosen six or is actually the seventh pokémon caught in the entire device. This pokémon is in the device but is inaccessible to anything. The device attempts to compress the entire PC storage system, since one hundred and fifty pokémon can be stored in only six of those small things, but is otherwise practically equivalent. One point is that trainers can now focus on more than six beloved pokémon at once, and if they are very diligent can train very large teams in the vicinity of a changing device in a pokémon centre.

Concerning Ytarrik and Oblivion, I also felt there was some link between the two but (owing to the fact that I have not played the game) I never really managed to define why. Any reason you make the connection?

Regarding my ambiguity, it seems to be a very subjective matter of the exact meaning of writing in a reader's mind. If writing was specifically made for the sole purpose of communication, I would certainly write very clearly, and very simply. However, since this is debatable I like to apply my own ideas to writing, moderating only to a reasonable extent.

But your ideas on perfection have been bouncing around in my head for a while, and you write them very eloquently. Perfection is a state wrapped around infinity, and has all the traits: impossible for us to conceive of, only point vaguely towards in the distance, and miles away from bringing to reality. Those who claim perfection has been realized indeed fall in that treacherous pitfall of complacency. (I once reached a state very near the sort of ideas the physical scientist community were entertaining--science is just about finished now, we only have to iron out the minor wrinkle or two--when, in fact, my style of writing was truly very superficial and despicable at core.) For your interest, taking this idea to its logical extent, I theorized a state where one's current state is perpetually compared to actual perfection, and is thus relatively infinitely small. If the individual can keep out of the pits of despair, complacency is impossible. But I'm getting seriously out of topic.

Yep, hammertime is one of my reluctant acquaintances throughout part three.

Your applause makes me very happy and surprised; you are the second reviewer now who placed Aftershock in his favourites. Also, I liked the comprehensiveness. Thanks a lot.

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
I'm now on chapter 13. So sorry that it is taking so long for me to read all of 'em! It took less than a day to read all of and get caught up on duncan's stories. Then again, I didn't have nonstop interruptions. *coughMOMcough* I should finish tomorrow. Should.

Diddy

Renegade
Ah yes, I do tend to make my reviews huge. But that's how I imagine a good review would be so won't settle for anything less.

The Ytarrik thing, mainly it just sounds similar. The Khajiit, (A cat race) have names similar to it but it would be Y'tarrik, obviously its not a rule. An example from the game is M'drassa, (Damn, I've played that game too much, but atleast I can say I've basically completed it all, sidequests and all.)

Anyway, I am pleased that the review went to your favour. And your extended views on perfection intrigue me. I should meditate on this.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
It appears that I still live. The Setting the Table chapters will be shorter than usual, as you can probably see, but the length is soon to return to normal afterwards. Luphinid's eagerly taking up the task of impromptu chronicler, however his "chapters" turn out.

Aftershock
Chapter 19: Setting the Table (Part I}​

The mindless, disharmonious indifference of the universe has faded, just a little. I can see the purpose, and its rivals are but poorly perceived branches of its structure. I can see also the portions of my life to come, arranged in geometry, the deliberate balance of triangles.

What I do not see with this new essential clarity is the subject of this chapter today. Why does the encircling forest seem so unfamiliar? Amaren and Ruki and Ytarrik are vague confusions of colour. They tell me this is the curse of memory, that they must suffer the ravages of time within me as all do, but where is the necessity? I have not yet known a law to state permanent mental blindness, and if it exists, I have already defied the greater portion of it.

Besides, I will soon persevere in my purpose, and this fact presupposes perfect hindsight.

So I realize that hallucinations are only involuntary so long as consciousness is left weakly hanging, and I can directly override my physical senses if only I have the skill. The righter Luphinid Silnaek, fused with the prowess of the kadabra Ytarrik, has known much but never incompetence. He was never Luphinid Silnaek in the past ages when he did. I moor myself with the slightest chain to memory and plunge into the seas of unvision.

Suddenly an exhilarating fire flares in the east and burns away the black curtain above me, burns away my cool dark eyelids, burns away the walls of my eyes to play torture on the flat surface of my nerves. It has lit my body on hellish orange fire, and all is crumbling, pillars of smoke rising from the wreckage of my stagnant constructions to loom over my tiny retreating figure. The pain is exquisite; it quickens the plodding of my heart and dares me to move into a trot and then a gallop, it is the secret that fiery, alluring danger tempts us with as we jump into the abyss to soar with her. And its torture burns away everything but the will into forward motion, the necessity of forward motion, the fact of forward motion. The pain had taunted me with a knowing smile and I had seen not what it meant (so preoccupied as I was with keeping up with it), but now I see it. Yes, only pain could be this lucid and all-consuming.

Now I have outrun it [barely], but the disheveled figure trotting out of the forest finds that his legs have not tired in the least, and that they refuse to slow and his momentum pulls him on. He looks back to see pain fading into distance, for her work is done and the wheels, once set in motion, will not falter.

But what does he see before him? The fire is too slow to catch him, and he has kept pace with or outrun all that he could see, but now a new vision challenges his eyes with near-invisible slashes of lightning motion. The perfect steel whirlwind, Saffron City: how could he ever outrun or to the slightest degree gain it? He pauses to regain his breath in the slightest hope that he may regain also his lead, but time brooks no delay. Five days move past in the uneasily harsh contrast of his standstill and the speed of events surrounding; the limbo seems to have arrested again the blaze of the fire; its smoulders are not close to adequate to delineate the haze-ridden path before him.

This time the stagnancy is no backdrop to the banalities of his life, an ambiance half-registered to be taken as unchangeable fact, but an actual torment he can feel wholly and completely now that he has known his rightful state. There is no more opportunity to forget it again; what could have been and what can be hovers tantalizingly over his periphery, forever shunning his direct perception but never allowing him to let go of this base, instinctive knowledge: My state is not my natural one, my tempo unrightful, but the only one suppressing me is myself. Only he can surpass his own tribulations—this responsibility is a burden no purposeful bird of prey has ever borne.

It astonishes him to see a single helping hand above the confused murmurings—not a hand, nothing more than the tip of a finger—a human presence that is familiar as an old friend, but hints (with thrills far more intense than hints) of the wonder beyond: the greatest reminder of his inheritance he has yet seen. But this is only a hint. It cannot show him the way to his purpose; it cannot instill in him the necessary strength. It has no power or substance until he deals with it on its own plane.

Then he sees a flash of the pain again—but it is changed from before, it has matured [aged], he can hardly recognize it now. He can only feel that he must escape it: not in the manner of his last run, during which he knew in his essence that this was the way into salvation, but as an overbearing terror driving him to run feverishly towards light, any light, whatever he sees as light. It is tearing him apart and all he knows is to shine the obscuring shadow. He must look away and forget, bury the wounds in miles of dust and cobwebs, for though his body is nigh to collapse in the absence of his insides, he needs only to forget they were ever there to regain stability. If the hole inside him is filled with irrelevance and painted over, it will look good as new.

But look at the wonders before you! This is no time to mope over past injuries. Keep moving. Bury the pain. It can be dealt with later. A new challenge is rising up for you, Amaren, and besides it may be the answer to your only remaining problem. This hint of a human presence is equivalent to your own potential. If you rise, you can become her perfect counterpart, and all the joy and beauty will become yours as your own unswerving instinct for motion will become hers. You have already seen your fledgling beauty, but stay—consider another form in its prime now. Isolate essence of joy and place it within a form barely a form. Give it substance but no restriction, no compromise for the pleasure of the laws of physics. Do you feel it is too young, far before the phase of full maturity? Why do you care? This is its prime. Your slipstream will pull her along and give her full strength, just as her juvenile delight seeps into you and makes you whole. Together, complete, there is no end to the heights you will achieve!

And it is all so simple after all. Each achievement is a foothold for the next leap. Have you reached the top of the hill? Marvellous. Now reach out and touch the mountain. Climb, staggering and out of breath, to the moon. Use the advantage of your sudden strength to leap for the sun. Gain to the stars. Have you reached infinity? Good. Now go beyond. Pay no mind to the injuries. They are the past, and this is the future; the stab wound is behind you. Only this spirit made of pure motion is you. You need nothing else, no past, no sustenance, if only you can outrun death. [nothing could be easier] And souls are eternal, their pain an illusion.

The equipment is assembled, the preparations all laid out, and in a final leap they clear the peak of the mountain. The wonders spring forth from their own blood and dance before them in visions of their grandeur. They have reached the utmost peak of the parabola, but is there anything more? Astonished fingers grope for anything that can sustain them, but the fuel of their lives is exhausted. Are they slowing? Terror pulls down like overactive gravity, pulls down faster and faster the remnants of the tattered illusion, pulling buttress upon failed buttress to collapse upon the castle in the air; the soul is gone, and the body can only fall hopelessly until—

smash

Tragic.

[{//\/\/\/\/\//\\//\\//\/\/\|/|\|/\/\/\\//\\//\\/\/\/\/\/\//}]​

What was Amaren's shortcoming? There is no flaw in the concept of concentrated motion; it is beautiful, simple, and fundamental to the essence of the first phase of this life. It will be necessary to my purpose.

No; the fault lies in outside circumstances. It was naked motion, given no physical defences to survive the devices of fate. Why had I never thrust my head out of its joys to see its cold, lonely vulnerability? I return to it years later, noticing it truly for the first time in all its service with me, and treasure its last shreds now, when all is lost...

Or has it truly? Certainly, now that I have recognized a concept, it is clearer and bolder than ever in my mind. Can I still save it, after all this time? It has almost slipped from my hands, and I must act! While the planes are still conjoined, shelter it from the lashes of the storm! Concrete reality can be bent! Isolate it, bring it out, take it away from the pain and the fear and injury. Is it properly removed?

All is well. Let me proceed.

Last edited:

Diddy

Renegade
Hoorah, it returns with a vengeance. With one possible mistake =o *gasp*

but never allowing him to let go of the this base,

It's either, the base or this base, or I'm missing something.

As great and, whereas not so long, still puts this great imagery of anything and everything into your mind. I believe a few claps of the hands are in order.

duncan

A new chapter. Yes.

And it is all so simple after all. Each achievement is a foothold for the next leap. Have you reached the top of the hill? Marvellous. Now reach out and touch the mountain. Climb, staggering and out of breath, to the moon. Use the advantage of your sudden strength to leap for the sun. Gain to the stars. Have you reached infinity? Good. Now go beyond. Pay no mind to the injuries. They are the past, and this is the future; the stab wound is behind you. Only this spirit made of pure motion is you. You need nothing else, no past, no sustenance, if only you can outrun death. [nothing could be easier] And souls are eternal, their pain an illusion.

Ah how I had missed the unique, fantastic imagery that is Aftershock. Although short, I've got to say I enjoyed it immensely. The way you still write from such completely new perspective, and do it so well continues to astound me.

Yeah, I really missed Aftershock. Excellent job.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Diddy: The this base is indeed a desperate attempt of my subconscious mind to use both words simultaneously. ...and entirely incorrect.

I do not believe the hallucinogenic quality of Luphinid's metaphors is safe for my sanity, but it accommodates the expressions so well.

duncan: I was in fact a little upset by the very paragraph you quoted, because it had so many happy things in it in quick succession. However, it seems to be the best expression for the basis of the first part, which is happy by nature, so I won't argue with my choices.

All right, I'll pass through these few chapters quickly and briefly. No use dwelling on the concise. I may take some time for the next one, though.

Aftershock
Chapter 20: Setting the Table (Part II)​

The boy and the abra sat face-to-face—moving not a muscle—neither acting nor waiting.

The abra reclined, his face towards the sky, sketching on an empty canvas with silhouettes of black branches. He could see nothing of his obscure partner, but his wistful air suggested everything in the young man was clear to him.

The boy rested his chin on open hands and stared, bowed, down into the twilight snow. In the evening and the shadows his face was a pale, bloodless triangle topped with brown hair darkened to almost jet black. His physique bore the contradiction of one who had grown prematurely: one could no more say that he was unfit than that he seemed healthy.

Nothing moved. Once upon a time had the bleached clouds above rumbled in black fury, and the many phantoms of malice clamoured for flesh; but the storm was spent, the sky settled into grey apathy, and each dying creature concluded with its final wail. Come night, could he lift himself and manage the journey back to Saffron? Had he the energy, had he the volition? Nothing moved.

His memories moved. Those pale grey nothings bloomed into life and colour, as though they had been the ones to steal motion from him; behind the lids of his glazed eyes images flashed and danced. The fresh leaves danced beneath the clear blue sky; the golden sunlight danced over the purposeful miniscules of life; the one beautiful human figure danced in living patterns through the living pillars. He saw the simplest of shapes: triangles, prisms, curves in the living and lines in the non-living, but only here could the light of sunset colour impart in such simplicities such undefiled solemnity. Was this motion? Could he care, ever again, what was truth and what falsehood? He thought not but let the images pass through at will.

I watch as he did all these things, and with each passing flash of despondency the nature of my second phase of life reveals itself to me. The abominations rise and fall, planets eccentricate under the force of my will, the titans fall into disharmony, roar, spend themselves, but one image remains.

The frosty youth sits in the clearing, year after cataclysmic year, the shapely orchestra playing its solemn notes in an untouchable existence. The millions of complexes and mental blocks pile upon each other like the carrion of an eternal war, but they evade with every ounce of unconscious effort the delicate flower of sentiment at their heart. This is their purpose, this is their central theme; the slightest of change in the altar would shift the balance and send the temple toppling over.

And this, the essence of my existence, the final axiomatic proof against the futility of fate, will be my salvation.

Diddy

Renegade
wow, that was really, really fast. But on the flipside, it was unusally short.

Unless you chalk it down to being on of those bridges you occasionally have. Then I suppose it could be okay. I had the title and first few paragraphs, scrolled down and felt rather disheartened at the fact there wasn't much to read.

His memories moved. Those pale grey nothings bloomed into life and colour, as though they had been the ones to steal motion from him; behind the lids of his glazed eyes images flashed and danced. The fresh leaves danced beneath the clear blue sky; the golden sunlight danced over the purposeful miniscules of life; the one beautiful human figure danced in living patterns through the living pillars.

I really liked the repetition of colour in this section.

And this, the essence of my existence, the final axiomatic proof against the futility of fate, will be my salvation.

And that was a really cool ending line. Especially the word 'axiomatic' its a fun word to say.

Kudos from me.

duncan

Had it really been a week already? Seems like a lot less...I'm going to agree with Diddy here. A good chapter, yes, but the length was...really short. It wasn't that bad, as it was a bridge, but remember more is better. XD

I watch as he did all these things, and with each passing flash of despondency the nature of my second phase of life reveals itself to me. The abominations rise and fall, planets eccentricate under the force of my will, the titans fall into disharmony, roar, spend themselves, but one image remains.

The frosty youth sits in the clearing, year after cataclysmic year, the shapely orchestra playing its solemn notes in an untouchable existence. The millions of complexes and mental blocks pile upon each other like the carrion of an eternal war, but they evade with every ounce of unconscious effort the delicate flower of sentiment at their heart. This is their purpose, this is their central theme; the slightest of change in the altar would shift the balance and send the temple toppling over.

I liked the subtle change from third to first person here, which gave it a very...interesting feel. However short this may have been, I did enjoy it. Your language and description was, as always, excellent. I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to not have anything to really criticize, as my reviews are nothing but saying "Nice chapter".

So...nice chapter?