• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Age in Pokemon Fics

Rediamond

Middle of nowhere
Age in Pokemon Fan Fiction

The majority of the games and anime focus upon ten year-old children scurrying around a province or small country filled with criminal elements with little to no supervision. Suspension-of-disbelief can be invoked, but the mileage of that may very with the audience.

But that's canon. What about fics? As far as I can tell, there are positive and negative aspects of focusing stories upon children of the canonical age. The biggest positive is, well, canon. Children start their journeys at age 10. Doing so in a fic means less explanation as to why it's occurring and more ability to follow canonical precedent. It also means there's less reason to explain some of the world around the characters: what ten year-old knows the details of the health care, economic, or political systems of their country? Finally, it allows for a relatively optimistic outlook and the ability to avoid mature themes or romance. Although age won't stop all the shippers.

The main reason against using ten year-old characters in fics is that no one here is ten and it is much easier to write about current states of mind realistically. Older characters allow for easier exploration of the topics mentioned in the last paragraph, should the writer want to explore them. They can also allow for more serious exploration of character and coming-of-age. It is also somewhat more plausible for a late-teen character to fight crime than a kid if realism is concerning.

So now I turn this to you, Internet. How do you approach the age of protagonists' in fan fiction? The main question revolved around journeys, but how does age affect other categories? How do the ages above ten differ from each other in producing a desired effect? Did I miss any positive or negative aspects? Under what circumstances, if any, are older characters better than those at the canon age of new Pokemon trainers?

matt0044

Well, for one thing, the "ten year old" thing was used for the Anime while the games have been very ambiguous.

I make the main characters of my fic 14-16 years old.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Hmm, age may or may not play a big part in what happens in the story, but it mostly depends on what's going to happen and how the characters interact with their surroundings; also helps that the world is set up as such from the start. If it's just going to be a normal journey fic that's similar to what the anime is like, the character being ten-years-old or even 17-years-old will fit right in. Though they can also fit right in a world that could be in the middle of a world war. I think I'd like to answer those questions at the end (almost) one by one, because they're rather interesting.

How do you approach the age of protagonists' in fan fiction?

Eh... if you're talking about "Do I plan the age for the protagonists of this fan fic?", yeah, I kinda do, but for most characters, I can just plug in a number and it'd be fine. Unless I plan to have a group of characters of different ages, the age really doesn't matter to me as long as the behavior can be easily pointed to a specific age--usually. Sometimes, I'm going to have characters who are more mature for their age, are immature, some physical abnormality (in terms of age and height ratio averages... if that makes sense), mental stability, et cetera. In those cases, yes, I have to plan the age accordingly.

The main question revolved around journeys, but how does age affect other categories?

It can affect the feel of the story as long as it was planned. (Happy accidents can exist in fan fiction, but due to how amateur many of us are, more often than not that an unplanned event in order to make the story more "riveting" or "edgy" can feel forced or really tasteless depending on how it was written.) I mentioned the possibility of a world war as an example. If the character in question is older than ten (like say in their late teens), they'll have a better grasp at what's going on, and depending on their personality may have different ideologies on the current events. If they're ten, they may not have a complete knowledge of it, and it leads to a different light being shed on that subject--perhaps. You can be cruel and thrust them in the middle of a war zone and that may lead to trauma, and perhaps force that character to "grow up", but that'll take careful planning (as well as a higher rating because you're putting a child in peril).

Romances have a similar make-up, just different scenarios. Despite on what you may think about shippers (though there are crazy shippers out there), age does indeed affect how the romance will go. Ten-year-olds typically don't have the traditional romance as teenagers may get, and teenagers don't have the same romance as adults do (usually). You're not going to have ten-year-olds play tonsil tennis when they realize they love each other, so depending on how you want the romance go, you're going to have to keep age in check for sure unless you want the feds knocking at your door. (I doubt that will really happen except under certain circumstances, but you'll typically get Internet backlash because of ten-year-olds doing the horizontal mambo in your fic.)

How do the ages above ten differ from each other in producing a desired effect?

There's not a whole lot of difference when you're comparing the teenage years, so you will have to keep their maturity in check (while also staying consistently believable, there are very few thirteen-year-olds with a good grasp on how the world works). The same goes for characters in their 20s and up.

Under what circumstances, if any, are older characters better than those at the canon age of new Pokemon trainers?

I don't see how they can be better than ten-year-olds. You could have older characters who are just getting their own Pokémon because of various reasons. Unless they're exceptionally talented, they're going to be novices, and it will show in their actions. Even if they went to school or have been around them for a long time, I can still see these graduates/adults struggle at some point down the road in something--what that is depends on the character's weakness(es).

Last edited:

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
I don't see age being much of a factor in writing "realistic" states of mind or avoiding things one can not possibly relate to in-universe (say, 10-year olds and healthcare or insurance). I don't see it as being much of a factor in being able to start a journey with a Pokémon or not, due to the key issue I'll mention next.

The key thing that matters, in my view of things, is that you are writing about children or youth of a Pokémon verse, where humanity has lived for who knows how long with creatures whose specimens made, even before reaching adulthood, any semblance of a military conflict previous to the 16th Century fundamentally different to what we have in our meatspaceverse's history. (Basically the usual "children with WMDs" argument only rolled back in time) It stands to reason that their humanity, and this includes their children, has evolved differently to ours to adjust to that across the ages (there are a couple of canon evidences for that depending on how deep you want to look) and has a different cultural mindset as a result.

All this results is that an age of 10, or even younger, is considered, if not standard, at least normal to go around the world with a Pokémon, and this has to have had been going for a while (the manga and anime at least portray things to that effect). Taking that into consideration, let's address some of the specific concerns in the opening post when it comes to writing such a world:

...means less explanation as to why it's occurring and more ability to follow canonical precedent. While this is easier with a "normal" starting age than with an unusual one, yes, it's also not a good factor to decide what such age will be out-of-universe. It's the setting that decides what the age for journeys will be, not viceversa.
less reason to explain some of the world around the characters: what ten year-old knows the details of the health care, economic, or political systems of their country? While most certainly not the same ten-year old that is given care and custody of a creature that, if evolved to adult stage soon, can for a very low price acquire a technique to trivially bring down an entire apartment building, it is true that such ten-year old is intrinsically closer to finding those issues and have a reason to learn about them than our real world 10-year old children, and is also better prepared to do so. See my point above on humanity evolving differently. Basically, yeah, there is less reason to do the explaining, but once that reason comes it will be easier to do.
let's avoid certain PG[insert number here]-rated subjects / age won't stop all the shippers. It wouldn't have to. These ten year old children will have ready access to creatures that will enter adult or sexually active stage much earlier than they will. It would be all the expected that certain things will be explained to them, or will be learnt first-hand, via "when a Volcarona and a Masquerain like each other very much..." because the only other reallistic alternative is that they learn of those issues in school before entering their journeys. Meaning, at age 9 or so. Though to be fair, given what a Trainer's journey is about it makes sense that those things are learnt on the fly.
no one here is ten and it is much easier to write about current states of mind realistically. While I can't say how true is this (i would presume that writing about current states of minds introduces more author bias than writing about past ones) I can say that it is advantageous in terms of making characters "understandable" to write about an age slightly younger than that of the expected audience for the same reason given in the parentheses.
They can also allow for more serious exploration of character and coming-of-age. While this is true, it is also nondeterminant to picking the age. It depends on what the setting considers coming-of-age. 10 is canonically considered good enough to take roles that in our verse correspond to adult roles (hunter-gatherer, provider, pioneer). As I mentioned above, at least in general terms, if in your fanfic Trainers (usually) start their journey at age 10, 13 or 5 (friggin' Tubers with their Lv50 Starmies!), it's because the setting is implicitly designed to make use of this. (By the way, our own world is not safe from this. There was a time not long ago when age 10 was good enough to leave home and go travel)

Now, all the above said, I think the better way of handling the starting age in Pokémon fics is, for the most part, letting the Anthropic Principle do the hard work. Your character is unlikely to be soooooo speshul that he will be allowed to start his journey at a ridiculous age for the setting's standard. If he is going on a standard issue Pokémon journey, then that's something that the setting implicitly allows to happen and pushes for. Don't argue the starting age, narratively speaking - instead, let the story make its case, if any.

Griever789

Hm age as stated by the other people here does have a bit of an effect, I myself have toyed with the idea of a trainer starting a journey at like 30-40 and heard of at least one journey fic with a senior citizen main protaginist (don't ask me what it is since it been years). I imgine the society be disapproving of a addult trying to make it in a children's game, more or less the only adult in the training world are veterans of the craft and those who battle for fun.

flamewarflipsides

Trevor Wannabe
To address a couple things others said:

There's not a whole lot of difference when you're comparing the teenage years, so you will have to keep their maturity in check (while also staying consistently believable, there are very few thirteen-year-olds with a good grasp on how the world works). The same goes for characters in their 20s and up.

I have to take some issue with this. It's certainly true of characters in their early twenties that "journey fic" about them won't differ tremendously from journey fic centering on tweens or teens, and Kutie Pie was pretty dead on regarding the major differences. Having just turned 27, though, I can think of two major reasons age can make a major difference.

One is neurological and psychological differences among age groups. The differences are small and largely contextual (or "situational") between older tweens, teen characters, and even those in their early twenties, but there are two major changes that have a significant impact on character behavior and story arcs. One is cognitive and one is metacognitive.

Most people stop getting "smarter" around the age of 15-18. Their raw cognitive power, their ability to process things, plateaus at this point. There are cognitive improvements after this point, but they're generally not going to change your IQ score. A character who encounters a puzzle that they are intellectually unable to solve at 16 is unlikely to ever be "smarter" and thus triumph over the puzzle. A character who can solve that puzzle, but does so too slowly, would likely be able to solve the puzzle on time in five to ten years, as the young adult brain is in the process of making itself more efficient with the raw power it has. A character in her early to mid 20s deciding to come back when she's "smarter" is going to turn off any reader who understands this. More educated, sure. Better practiced, sure. Better at making the quick decisions? Absolutely. Smarter? Good luck with that, honey.

The other major plateau happens around 25, and pertains to impulse control. Most people have the best self-control of their lives in terms of risk-assessment and decision-making at 25. This is why your car insurance goes down at that age, and it's supported by studies. An extremely impulsive character at this age is going to be more likely to seem untrue or immature to an adult reader, unless we specifically see evidence that they were far, far more reactive when they were younger.

This isn't the main reason I think a journey fic with an older character is going to be much different, though. The biggest reason is cultural context, or what's going on in society around them. Past puberty, people show a remarkable ability to adapt to the roles that are given them regardless of age, but they generally fit themselves into their society. A thirteen-yea- old was often considered an adult in ancient societies, and nowadays some 20-somethings aren't really seen that way.

But if everyone your age is going out and going on a Pokemon journey, your story is going to feel much different from that of someone your age who is hopelessly long in the tooth to be on an adventure.

I'm writing something about a Late-20s starting trainer right now. Instead of being a story of hope and optimism, of a journey laid out before her, it's a story of redemption and triumph over shame. She's embarrassed to be what she is, and self-conscious about her age. She's ridiculed by other characters for starting out so late in life. Sometimes she looks at the kids she's passing who are just starting out and ponders the fact that she could have had children that age. In fact, I'm creating a subtext suggesting that she's using Pokemon training as a replacement for the children she probably can't have. That wouldn't really happen with a story of a ten-year-old trainer; it couldn't. And if you write a story where it's normal for 16- and 17-year-olds to go out training, it wouldn't happen there either. On the plus side, I'm having my character have a much easier time with some of the typical strategic struggles of a new trainer's journey because she's cognitively mature. The only intellectual struggles she has are of a very social, battle of the wits type nature, because she attained a decade ago an intelligence that's five years away for your typical ten-year-old trainer.

If you're thinking about the world around them, the age of a trainer is hugely important in any genre, especially journey fic. But if you just treat whatever age they are as default, then it matters much less.

I don't see how they can be better than ten-year-olds. You could have older characters who are just getting their own Pokémon because of various reasons. Unless they're exceptionally talented, they're going to be novices, and it will show in their actions. Even if they went to school or have been around them for a long time, I can still see these graduates/adults struggle at some point down the road in something--what that is depends on the character's weakness(es).

I think better here is an inappropriate comparison. Personally, I think older characters are more interesting just because they aren't done to death, but like you suggested, only if they're done with a certain amount of intention. I think the particular struggles of a novice trainer will be different depending on that trainer's age; older trainers will have a difficulty with plasticity or adaptability that younger trainers won't, but might breeze through puzzles and challenges that would stump a kid. But the emotional content of their journeys are going to be a lot different, and as an older reader, I would much rather experience the nuance of a well-written older character. Still, if the only reason your character is 20 is because you typed that number in the text, I'd rather read the kid, you know?

It's the setting that decides what the age for journeys will be, not viceversa.

Solovino, The rest of your quote more than adequately explained your point and provided enough wiggle room for someone who wants to write something interesting, but it made me think of something I wanted to point out. Where in most of the games does it say these kids are explicitly ten? Manuals, sure, but in every other game fandom to which I belong, manuals are treated with suspicion. In most of these games, the place where it says your character's age, if it exists at all, is subtle and hidden away. It allows a certain amount of wiggle room to write the story you want to write, the same wiggle room it allots to players of different ages who still need to relate to the silent hero they're playing. A journeying trainer in their early to mid teens does not strike me as inappropriate unless the setting makes a big deal of it, but a much older trainer established as having just set out does damage my suspension of disbelief. I'm sure it's the same with most of us.

Anyway, onto my particular responses to the original questions

How do you approach the age of protagonists' in fan fiction?

I generally try to avoid writing original character fic unless a canon character won't do for sheer exposure reasons, since many older fans refuse to read original trainer work. When I do need to write the canonical game protagonists, I try to use context clues from the setting, and place them on the higher end of what I find to be a believable range for my convenience. I generally treat the BW protagonists as the oldest, followed by XY, then BW2, then RSE, then DPPt, then HGSS and finally the first gen. Given that Cheren shares my profession in BW2, and that I felt hopelessly old by the time I was certified, I have a hard time imagining his crew as being anything less than 16 by the time the second Unova game happens, which means he must have been 14 during the first (and that still has him as something like seven years younger than I was when I certified. Go figure).

For original characters, it mainly depends on the story I want to tell. A journey story or a story of simple friendships and triumphs over evil will necessarily feature younger protagonists than a story about redemption. The political subtext and text I often incorporate often lends itself to older protagonists as well.

The main question revolved around journeys, but how does age affect other categories?

The main thing about character age is that it suggests where you are in life. It frames your hopes and dreams, and your shorter term aspirations. A ten year old is probably not thinking about starting her family, but a twenty year old might be, and a thirty year old almost certainly is, if she's not thinking about how she hasn't or never will. Some kinds of stories will only work with certain ages; others have a different flavor depending on the age of your protagonist. This is as true of Pokemon as it is any other property.

I also think political issues take on an interesting light when you use an older character, just because of the cognitive factors and life experience. Still, how many Pokemon fans write politics? Aside from me, I mean.

I think the rest of the questions I asked are more than covered in my responses. Apologies if my tone came off kind of rough. I'm used to arguing this stuff in a much more adversarial place, but this is the highest-level debate I've seen on this topic anywhere and I'm loving this level of discourse. You guys have amazing insights on this, and I am so glad I spent the day sitting here being intimidated by the forums just to find this gem!

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Personally, now that I think about age in terms of Japanese, it makes me look back on media history. Usually, if you ask yourself as to why most, but not all, Japanese protagonists are young children up to young men and women (about the age of 18-24 yrs old)?

Look a World War II.

And also, if you read Philippine History, just as when our fellow Americans were about to give us the independence the Pinoys of the time wanted (1940s), the Japanese butts in and took our fellow American teachers away. And while there are plenty of good things they did do to our country -even if it was like only 3 years-, they burned our ancient cultural literature and history written in English since we're not using our supposed National Language. And they had heir way with the women of that time unfortunately. Sad story. And by the end of the war, our poor cities just got ravaged.

But back on topic, I think that in pokemon, it is more likely about how we view said characters as what they are personality and intellectual wise rather than age.

Well, I think this is pretty clear: ten year olds aren't going to be mature, so as an author, it limits you in terms of what things the character can know about, or the level of skill. For example, in my PokeShipping journey fic "Aquatic Passion", Ash and Misty are in a relationship. Of course, having them as ten year olds wasn't a good idea, ten year olds probably aren't going to be a realistic couple. To make things more realistic and also to make Ash and Misty stronger, I made them sixteen at the start of the story, the journey took a year, so both celebrated their 17th birthday throughout the story. For the relationship, and the content of the story in general, this was necessary. However, in the new fic I'm writing, "Working On A Dream", where Misty travels with Tracey and Daisy, I kept Misty ten. First of all, that way, she's less experienced and skilled than in "Aquatic Passion" and is closer to her anime strength. Second, there's no relationship with Ash that needs her to be older than ten. The feelings are there, but no official relationship. The story content simply doesn't require her to age. It means I'm more limited in this story, but that's fine for the content of this story. To put it short: ten year old characters aren't necessarily better or worse than older ones, but it does affect the storyline. A ten year old is too young for things late teenagers and adults can do and will most likely be less skilled and less experienced than a late teenager or adult, and late teenagers and adults will most likely not do childish things that ten year olds can do. Whether a ten year old or an older character is more fitting depends on the content of your story.