1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Agnostic, Religious or Atheist

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by draya the dark master, Aug 10, 2011.

?

What are your beliefs???

1. Faithful (any religion/theism/deism will do)

122 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Agnostic (uncertainty; either in principle or in practice)

95 vote(s)
    28.5%
  3. Atheist (dont believe in any theism/deism)

116 vote(s)
    34.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draya the dark master

draya the dark master Sort of Undead atm♥

EDIT: Completely redoing my first post due to the fact that this thread actually survived.

The debate of religion is very deep and full of controversy; it basically affects everything from our personal way of life, to organisations and even sometimes politics.
    There are three main parties in the debate and as far as my understanding goes they are something like the following:
    Theists ~ People who believe in some sort of religion (also known as creationists)
    Atheists ~ if the name doesn’t suggest it, Atheists are basically the complete opposite of theists (basically believe in scientific evidence)
    Agnostic ~ I’ve noticed some debate over the proper meaning to the word but as far as my knowledge goes, Agnostics are people who are open to the concept of religion but just not entirely convinced

Basically this is a thread to argue your deeper beliefs

~ Live long and prosper ~​

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

Hey, a tired idea that always turns out badly!

3. If U Seek Amy

If U Seek Amy i am a god

I find people who talk about it a lot and think that I will go to this so-called 'hell' for not believing Extremely annoying. But I am fine with people who don't do what I just said but are religious.

4. draya the dark master

go figure... oh well
    ferther proff that such a coexsistence is both unlikly and flawed

5. Abstinence Pistols

Abstinence Pistols Fahrvergnugen

Personally, I'm halfway between Christian and Agnostic. I believe that there is a God and that He appears as the Christians envisioned him, but I know and accept that in this life I will never find out.

6. Buchou

Buchou filch some swag

I'm a Jew for Jesus. Go figure.

7. The Red Thunder

The Red Thunder Backwards thinking?

I simply have a problem putting my faith into any religion who's first commandment is "Thou Shalt Not Kill", and yet has committed more bloodshed and genocide in the name of their "One True God" than any other ideal since the rise of the Roman Empire.

It doesn't take a genius to see the obvious falacy.

8. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

Well it's only the 6th commandment in Catholicism, so you're safe there!

9. Abstinence Pistols

You're forgetting that Christianity isn't the only religion to slaughter others in the name of their god.
    Try the Muslim extremist groups.

10. MissingNoHunter

MissingNoHunter Cannon Time.

The extremists shouldn't be viewed as the main populous. That's kinda why they're called EXTREMISTS...

11. draya the dark master

i can honestly highly respect people that can see the flaws in their own religon... people who try and indefinantly defend something that they tell themselves is complealy true and nothing but the truth is just plain silly

i put my faith in science and even i know that it isnt 100% accurate... on the contrary i believe its far from it... but thats where adaptation comes into perspective

12. lugia p

lugia p zekrom trainer

This will turn out badly anyway im a christian but i dont like people who force a religeon or athiest who say wheres the common sence in believing or stuff like that.

13. The Red Thunder

I never said that was the only religion, but I should have made it more clear that I was using that as an example. Forgive me.

The Koran preaches peace as well, and has similar tenants of nonviolence. Fact is, most religion follows that same example. Preach against violence, then slaughter everyone who doesn't want to believe your beliefs. And it's for that reason that I choose to disregard all religion.

The only religion I can think of that hasn't historically done this is Hinduism. Unless you count Bhuddism as a religion, but I don't; Bhuddism goes beyond religious beliefs.

If you honestly think that every holy war, or senseless slaughter, committed in the name of religion was done by extremists, then there's been more extremists throughout history than regular believers.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  14. KuroiMawile

KuroiMawile Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a higher power, but one that does very little and stands by and watches. (The almighty viewer?)

15. Sabconth

Sabconth Kanto Ranger

I don't believe in God, but I also wouldn't want to be labled an Atheist.

So... can I be just be human?

16. Weez1990

Weez1990 Hyuck hyuck hyuck

I'm Christian. But I won't shove my beliefs down your throat. Promise. :D

Also, the author of this poll is biased.

17. Abstinence Pistols

It's fine, that was basically the point I was trying to make anyway.

18. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

I have found that the discussion of religion in public places (forums for example) usually ends up with people getting angry at eachother and using clichéd arguments such as "God can't exist because there's no proof." I have not yet seen a single religious argument that turned out with all sides formally agreeing to disagree. And I don't expect that to change.

Personally, I don't really care what other people believe in, as long as they are formal about it and make no attempts to force their beliefs on other people. I'll respect your beliefs if you'll respect mine.

19. draya the dark master

yer sorry bout that :D

20. The Red Thunder

That's not the problem I've really ever come across, though. I don't use something fleeting like that in an argument, because I can't prove that a divine being doesn't exist.

The two big ones I have usually encounter are "If you don't believe in God, you'll go to hell", and the fact that they get offended when I bring up just how much bloodshed was committed in the name of Christianity and Catholicism, when they are supposed to believe that killing is a grave sin.

I also really only ever have problems with Christians and Catholics who try to force religion down my throat. I've never met a Muslim or Hindu (or any other major religion) that tried to convert (if you're hyper-religious, read that as "Save") me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.