• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Agnostic, Religious or Atheist

What are your beliefs???

• Faithful (any religion/theism/deism will do)

Votes: 122 36.6%
  • Agnostic (uncertainty; either in principle or in practice)

Votes: 95 28.5%
  • Atheist (dont believe in any theism/deism)

Votes: 116 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidius

Can you be an Atheist and a Pagan? Isn't a spiritual belief the opposite of Atheism? Not to mention that If you are a Druid you have religion and a belief in a higher power, right?
There's nothing technically stopping somebody from believing in supernatural phenomenon while not having any belief in God(s). From what I've gathered certain branches of Buddhism are atheistic.

I have trouble seeing where that viewpoint comes from though. As far as I see there is no substantial evidence for either the existence of a God or supernatural elements so I don't see how one can be considered worth believing in over the other.

I would describe myself as an atheist. I don't say with absolute certainty that there is no god, but I find the idea fairly unmotivated. There is no reason to believe there is a god so I don't believe in it or even consider it any more of a possibility than the existence of a extra-universal rock that spontaneously creates a universe.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Neo Pikachu said:
So don't keep arguing about what is, but instead focus on what will be when the time comes.
Unfortunately, when that time comes, it'll be when I already lived by less than joyful life thanks *to* religion.

Debating and talking about it is the reason why we ask for proof. It affects us. Maybe if we lived in a society where religion was as invisible as a strand of hair, sure..

)WisP(

Graceful as the wind
Can you be an Atheist and a Pagan? Isn't a spiritual belief the opposite of Atheism? Not to mention that If you are a Druid you have religion and a belief in a higher power, right?

Paganism is a very vague term. If you mean it in the respecting nature and making sacrifices to show respect, then yes, I suppose you could be. If you mean paganism as in the polytheistic religions, then no. Pagan just means not Christian though, so it's a term that's best to avoid.

This statement is ironic since all the Christians I talk to think that athiests are the only ones to get love around here. This suggests that both sides think of themeselves as the underdog and believe their opposition is ahead of them. The grass is always greener, right?

I was being sarcastic. I'd just like to see someone make a case against Islam, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Sikhism, religious Buddhism, Shintoism, Judaism, and so on.

These arguments are seriously just going in circles, I'm reading the same crap over and over again and no one is breaking any ground or making any progress.

Clover10123

Loving Trainer
I'm a proud christian. I force myself to challenge my beliefs with questions that often come up in these discussions, but I believe that to work towards your faith you have to work to find the answers. I've got answers to most any question about Christianity anyone can through at me, though I don't question or pressure anyone of other religions.
Luv Clo

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Unfortunately, when that time comes, it'll be when I already lived by less than joyful life thanks *to* religion.

Debating and talking about it is the reason why we ask for proof. It affects us. Maybe if we lived in a society where religion was as invisible as a strand of hair, sure..

Eh? Why would following a religion and having faith cause you to have a "less than joyful life" as opposed to not following a religion? Isn't the kind of satisfaction derived from something dependent on the person engaging in that activity?

As for asking for proof, don't. You have scriptures and you have teachings for now. If that's not enough and it doesn't feel right to you, it's kind of a tough luck situation, and you're just going to have to wait it out until the answer reveals itself. Jumping up and down on religious folk won't get you the kind of proof you're looking for. It's silly to keep asking us for it when we're not the guys that can provide it. Again, like I said, wait it out if you're unsure. You get the answer eventually on your own.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
Eh? Why would following a religion and having faith cause you to have a "less than joyful life" as opposed to not following a religion? Isn't the kind of satisfaction derived from something dependent on the person engaging in that activity?

As for asking for proof, don't. You have scriptures and you have teachings for now. If that's not enough and it doesn't feel right to you, it's kind of a tough luck situation, and you're just going to have to wait it out until the answer reveals itself. Jumping up and down on religious folk won't get you the kind of proof you're looking for. It's silly to keep asking us for it when we're not the guys that can provide it. Again, like I said, wait it out if you're unsure. You get the answer eventually on your own.

So believe b/c a old book told us to. Well Primus loves you and sent Orion pax to destroy the evil one. You have the covenet of Primus and if that is not enough then poo on you, you have to wait until your souls is transformed.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
So believe b/c a old book told us to. Well Primus loves you and sent Orion pax to destroy the evil one. You have the covenet of Primus and if that is not enough then poo on you, you have to wait until your souls is transformed.

Believe because your heart tells you to. Faith comes from the heart, if it's not there, it's not there. Holy scriptures like the Bible start as an invitation, which works then as a book of wisdom. It's a guide, and like guides, it's up to you to decide if and how you want to follow it. You can just say screw it and do you own thing, or you can follow it's teaching and be guided by its foundation.

As for Primus and Orion, someone may believe that, but I personally don't. It's just not where my heart is. I'm not expecting someone who believes that to prove it because I know they can't.

Double A

I disagree with the term of "weak atheism".

I believe not in the existence in any god, goddess, or any other such deity. I do not generally actively deny belief in existence of any of those,

Then you ARE a weak atheist.

The good news is we'll all find out one day who was right and who was wrong.

Really now? If so-called "strong" atheists are correct, then we'll probably never find out if they are right about there being no deities and no afterlife.

And, of course, "weak" atheists (skeptics) who are also agnostic are currently right (in that there is insufficient examinable evidence for the existence of deities).

But it's the same thing again and again. If the Bible, Torah, Qur'an, or whatever aren't enough to convince you otherwise of what you feel are the answers in your heart, don't keep asking for proof again and again, just wait for the answer, because it comes eventually to everyone in one form or another.

If you present your ideas to me (or present them in such a way to justify neglect or abuse of some sort), then I will question them. Religion has effects that are present today. It is not fair to tell me to wait for an unknown period of time for justification.

I question all ideas presented to me. It is only fair.

So don't keep arguing about what is, but instead focus on what will be when the time comes. Wise is the person that follows their heart but is ready for anything.

Funny that. The person who asks for evidence usually is "following their heart and is ready for anything".

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Really now? If so-called "strong" atheists are correct, then we'll probably never find out if they are right about there being no deities and no afterlife.

And, of course, "weak" atheists (skeptics) who are also agnostic are currently right (in that there is insufficient examinable evidence for the existence of deities).

Well, they'll still be right for the most part. Plus, if it all ends as you say, where death simply kills the lights, the story ends, and the only evidence that remains we ever existed are only bones, then what does it really matter? You'd still find out you were at least "mostly right" and, well, at that stage of the game, no one's really conscious enough to keep score.

As for "weak" atheists, you can't really say they're "currently right." Religious people believe they're "currently right" also, and that there is enough evidence. Not everyone feels science needs to prove it first for it to be true. And things that are true can't be proven by science.

So like I said, asking for that "examinable evidence" is still kind of silly. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, because what you're looking for may not be revealed in this lifetime.

If you present your ideas to me (or present them in such a way to justify neglect or abuse of some sort), then I will question them. Religion has effects that are present today. It is not fair to tell me to wait for an unknown period of time for justification.

I question all ideas presented to me. It is only fair.

Justify neglect or abuse? Huh? You kind of lost me there.

And dude, whether it's fair it not, you're waiting. If you want evidence beyond what the books and the testaments people tell you, it's your call, but being the little kid in the backseat asking mom and dad "are we there yet" again and again doesn't make the car go faster or the distance shorter. The high level of proof you're asking for is not something that you can easily expect to be granted in this lifetime. It's also not something you're going to get out of normal, everyday religious people. We're just humans. We can't recreate what Jesus, God, Allah, and so on did many years ago. If that's the kind of proof you want and you're not willing to accept anything less, ask them if and when you get the chance. If you want to meet and shake the hands of the players of your favorite sports team, don't ask the fans, ask the players.

So again, like I said, you're waiting. Patience is a virtue. You'll get your answer eventually, but what you're expecting won't come from only us. So please, do all us a flavor and stop asking. Thanks. :)

Funny that. The person who asks for evidence usually is "following their heart and is ready for anything".

Not really. A person who asks for evidence wants the answer now so they can be ready for one specific thing based on what the evidence tells them.

Cheers.

Double A

It is because of the term weak people tend to disagree, it makes you seem lower, less important.

*shrug*

Some people call them "negative" or "soft" atheists, if that helps at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo, Neo Pikachu! If you want to skip this wall of text then there's an underlined sentence about 1/3 of the way down that addresses your overarching point about how we skeptics should stop asking for evidence.

Well, they'll still be right for the most part. Plus, if it all ends as you say, where death simply kills the lights, the story ends, and the only evidence that remains we ever existed are only bones, then what does it really matter? You'd still find out you were at least "mostly right" and, well, at that stage of the game, no one's really conscious enough to keep score.

If nobody's conscious to keep score, then how would we ever find out whether or not the "strong" atheists were right?

Religious people believe they're "currently right" also, and that there is enough evidence.

Evidence which wouldn't stand up in a court of law or in a laboratory. Or heck, even in the minds of people who currently don't believe ("evidence" that requires you to believe in it beforehand is redundant and therefore not evidence).

Not everyone feels science needs to prove it first for it to be true.

strawman

And things that are true can't be proven by science.

Indeed. Only things to which evidence logically points when observed by the scientific community can be proven by science (if you're somehow suggesting that this method is unreliable, then you'd need to say why). When scientific ideas are modified, that says more about its strengths than its weaknesses.

Logic or facts aren't opinionated or dictated by belief (at least, beyond the belief that our senses are working, which is a completely reasonable assumption to make). I believe your belief is as-of-yet irrational (using the dictionary definition of the word). You believe it's completely rational. We can't both be right.

So like I said, asking for that "examinable evidence" is still kind of silly. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, because what you're looking for may not be revealed in this lifetime.

If you're going to ask skeptics to stop asking for evidence, it's only fair that we ask you to stop presenting ideas that require evidence you can't give.

I don't expect proof of the Loch Ness Monster to be presented to me in this lifetime. Doesn't stop me asking for evidence whenever someone claims to have seen it.

Justify neglect or abuse? Huh? You kind of lost me there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/200...,10150343074831091&fb_action_types=news.reads

"'Death was the least she deserved,' said Abdel-Qader. 'I don't regret it. I had the support of all my friends who are fathers, like me, and know what she did was unacceptable to any Muslim that honours his religion,' he said."

And dude, whether it's fair it not, you're waiting. If you want evidence beyond what the books and the testaments people tell you, it's your call, but being the little kid in the backseat asking mom and dad "are we there yet" again and again doesn't make the car go faster or the distance shorter.

Cute little analogy there, making skeptics look like spoiled little brats.

Of course, little boy Jimmy wouldn't continually seek justification (i.e. the destination) for the car ride if his parents didn't tell him to get into the car to begin with. Likewise, I'm not going to ask for evidence if no ideas are presented to me.

There are three positions: Acceptance, Skepticism and Denial. By telling me to stop asking for evidence, you're telling me to abandon skepticism (since the definition of skepticism is doubt/a requirement for evidence). Which means you're either telling me to accept the idea or deny it, which I can't do without evidence.

We're just humans. We can't recreate what Jesus, God, Allah, and so on did many years ago.

What particular things are you talking about? We've turned water red, we've "resurrected" people, we've cured diseases (we've even made steps toward curing blindness).

If that's the kind of proof you want and you're not willing to accept anything less, ask them if and when you get the chance. If you want to meet and shake the hands of the players of your favorite sports team, don't ask the fans, ask the players.

Problem with your analogy: if I'm asking the fans about the existence of the sports players, they'll probably have quite a bit of evidence (including photographic) to back it up.

Not really. A person who asks for evidence wants the answer now so they can be ready for one specific thing based on what the evidence tells them.

This is only true if said skeptic has double standards and is selective about what he asks questions about. I'm not only skeptical about your god, I'm also skeptical about all other gods. Heck, I'm even skeptical about the claim that "there is NO god". Hence, skeptics can be said to be "ready" in regards to multiple things.

Furthermore, evidence for any one thing can come in many flavours. If a skeptic can respond appropriately to all kinds of evidence, then he is truly "ready for anything".

You too :)

Last edited:

SwiftSoul

Kinkmeister General
> Some people call them "negative" or "soft" atheists, if that helps at all.

No, it doesn't, actually. 7's point stands even then. Quite frankly, it's an insult. And I am NOT a weak atheist. Don't even try to label me. If any label could be applied, it'd be Atheistic Pagan, and I'm not the only one. Quite frankly, I see your over-labeling as a form of elitism, and a self-indulgent attempt to make people fit in little boxes just so you can get an ego trip categorizing them, so you can convince yourself you're better than them. You're the atheist stereotype that gives us a bad name.

Double A

> Some people call them "negative" or "soft" atheists, if that helps at all.

No, it doesn't, actually. 7's point stands even then. Quite frankly, it's an insult. And I am NOT a weak atheist. Don't even try to label me. If any label could be applied, it'd be Atheistic Pagan, and I'm not the only one. Quite frankly, I see your over-labeling as a form of elitism, and a self-indulgent attempt to make people fit in little boxes just so you can get an ego trip categorizing them, so you can convince yourself you're better than them. You're the atheist stereotype that gives us a bad name.

uhh... I'm a weak atheist. Who's being elitist here?

Truth be told, it's atheists like YOU that refuse to acknowledge fact because "it makes me feel bad" that give us a bad name. It's a definition. You can't deny a definition because it makes you feel bad. Am I being an elitist for calling you a human? Am I insulting myself by calling myself an Asian? Am I getting an "ego trip" calling my friend a brunette? After all, I'd be sticking all three into their own categories.

You REALLY want to know what qualifies as elitism? The idea that one is "too unique" to be categorized and is somehow "above" categorization, even when the category itself is incredibly broad.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I was being sarcastic. I'd just like to see someone make a case against Islam, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Sikhism, religious Buddhism, Shintoism, Judaism, and so on.
You will.. if someone actually argues for them.

The problem is that we live in Christian societies, so all you will ever hear are Christian arguments.

No, you misinterpreted me. I was referring to people who believed in a way where it affects people around them. Ie: judging someone for not agreeing with you, or restricting the rights of those who don't agree. The debate isimportant.

Not all Christians will give the same answers as you have. Many in fact do believe they have proof; proof enough that they can look down on me or insert religion in politics.

You seem to portray yourself as a guy who has an opinion but don't want them to clash; unfortunately, not everyone shares the same view as you.

I wouldn't mind waiting it out if it didn't involve being a closet minority.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Evidence which wouldn't stand up in a court of law or in a laboratory. Or heck, even in the minds of people who currently don't believe ("evidence" that requires you to believe in it beforehand is redundant and therefore not evidence).

It's more of a discussion of what can be considered evidence, and what's not. It's also more of a discussion of whether something that breaks the dictation of science is what other people would justify as being evidence. Since a lot of what religion entails breaks the boundaries of science, yeah, it's where things get picky between scientists and theorists. We weren't a part of the generation that witnessed the events of the scriptures with our own eyes.

On that basis alone, I don't see why God (to those who believe He exists) would punish anyone simply because they weren't there to see it all happen.

Indeed. Only things to which evidence logically points when observed by the scientific community can be proven by science (if you're somehow suggesting that this method is unreliable, then you'd need to say why). When scientific ideas are modified, that says more about its strengths than its weaknesses.

That's... debatable. It's kind of like playing a game, only you're writing up the rules as you go along. Like... Calvinball for example. It's generally unreliable (but not completely) because science still only has a limited scope of the facts, facts that, if religion is right, can be bent or broken by divine forces. That's not to say science is useless to followers of religion. I think science is a helpful resource and tool to help recognize and analyze patterns and use them to benefit mankind. But to me, it's not and won't ever be all-knowing.

Logic or facts aren't opinionated or dictated by belief (at least, beyond the belief that our senses are working, which is a completely reasonable assumption to make). I believe your belief is as-of-yet irrational (using the dictionary definition of the word). You believe it's completely rational. We can't both be right.

Logic and facts are grounded on the basis of what is followed by the context of human senses and what our brains interpret. It still, however, opens up the question and possibility that there is a context of awareness that exists outside our senses, which is quite possible given animals possess instincts and attributes that we don't have. Again, logic is very much like science in this scenario and works on a linear dictation. It works and is universal, but only if there exists no chance of any context outside of human sense scopes having any outside influence that may disrupt the patterns of logic's dictation.

We cannot be truly sure of that. Therefore, I see logic as a good interpretive tool and is generally reliable for most cases, but again, to apply it as universal is a conceited notion.

If you're going to ask skeptics to stop asking for evidence, it's only fair that we ask you to stop presenting ideas that require evidence you can't give.

It's religion's way of opening the door as an invitation and as a means to educate. If your heart feels worshipping is the right thing to do and you feel this particular religion holds meaning, then all one needs to do is walk through that door.

Religion is still a freedom of expression. Again, you may feel the evidence is insufficient. Others, like myself, believe there is enough to evidence in the world around us and in scripture and personal feeling of faith to advocate divine creation.

You don't agree with the idea, which is on the basis of your own personal preference. However, I ask for skeptics to stop asking for evidence because you likely won't get more than what's already here, at least not from the people you're asking anyway.

I don't expect proof of the Loch Ness Monster to be presented to me in this lifetime. Doesn't stop me asking for evidence whenever someone claims to have seen it.

If someone were to make the claim to have seen it, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it exists. Given the nature of the situation, it's entirely possible. But whether you really believe it exists or whether you don't, our own personal opinions on the matter only reflect on yes, personal opinions. The fact of whether it may or may not exist is entirely independent of our own personal beliefs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/200...,10150343074831091&fb_action_types=news.reads

"'Death was the least she deserved,' said Abdel-Qader. 'I don't regret it. I had the support of all my friends who are fathers, like me, and know what she did was unacceptable to any Muslim that honours his religion,' he said."

I'm not going to act like I'm an expert on what Muslims believe, because I only have limited knowledge of the Islamic religion, and therefore wouldn't be able to accurately explain on what basis they justify these customs or their actions.

I do, however, feel society cannot function properly if there is a separation of church and state. An action that violates a country's law cannot be dismissed on the basis of it being based on religion. Given the situation that religions are continuously created (I personally think Scientology is a massive scam, but we'll save that debate for another day), any separation undermines the overall welfare of that entire society. A newly-made religion could make it custom to murder and pillage from anyone who doesn't follow them, which simply can't be allowed for the sake of civilization. If a religion's network doesn't agree with the laws of that country, that's tough luck. They can go somewhere else in a country that does allow for such things. But as we know, countries that allow such travesties to be committed typically stay in shambles and never grow into economic superpowers. And, in turn, they are dominated and then influenced by countries that do know how to retain a balance of social benefit and stability that works for the people residing in it.

Do I personally believe Abdel-Qader was right about what he did? Not in the slightest. There is no lesson learned from inflicting death. I don't believe God would warrant such brutal, heartless, and unforgiving punishment, but again, I'm a Christian, not a Muslim. I would not prosecute Abdel-Qader because he was following Muslim beliefs. I would prosecute him because he murdered another human being in cold blood, which if allowed, greatly undermines society and the quality of life.

Cute little analogy there, making skeptics look like spoiled little brats.

More on the basis of not being satisfied with what you already have. It's up to the beholder of whether they consider that "spoiled" or not. Some think it's enough, some do not.

Of course, little boy Jimmy wouldn't continually seek justification (i.e. the destination) for the car ride if his parents didn't tell him to get into the car to begin with. Likewise, I'm not going to ask for evidence if no ideas are presented to me.

Religion is opening the door in invitation. In this case analogy, no one "forced" little boy Jimmy to come along. Heck, in this case, they saw little boy Jimmy walking off on the side of the road, invited him for a ride to the destination, and little boy Jimmy asked if they were already there and what the place looked like as soon as he jumped in the car. The driver told him, but Jimmy didn't believe him, but still wants to get there and know what the place looks like this very instant. As the driver, I'm saying to little boy Jimmy to wait until we get there so he can see for himself if my word isn't enough.

There are three positions: Acceptance, Skepticism and Denial. By telling me to stop asking for evidence, you're telling me to abandon skepticism (since the definition of skepticism is doubt/a requirement for evidence). Which means you're either telling me to accept the idea or deny it, which I can't do without evidence.

I'm not asking you to abandon skepticism, I'm simply asking you to stop asking for evidence because you're relying on a expectation you require to be fulfilled, but cannot be fulfilled by the ones you're asking. At this point... it just becomes annoying.

What particular things are you talking about? We've turned water red, we've "resurrected" people, we've cured diseases (we've even made steps toward curing blindness).

Two totally different realms of interpretation.

Problem with your analogy: if I'm asking the fans about the existence of the sports players, they'll probably have quite a bit of evidence (including photographic) to back it up.

But if they really had a photograph of God, would you believe it? Or would you laugh and scoff that it was a great attempt at Photoshop, or whoever made it was a crafty CGI artist?

That's the problem with the expectations of skeptics. Where and when you do recognize credible and examinable evidence?

This is only true if said skeptic has double standards and is selective about what he asks questions about. I'm not only skeptical about your god, I'm also skeptical about all other gods. Heck, I'm even skeptical about the claim that "there is NO god". Hence, skeptics can be said to be "ready" in regards to multiple things.

But you're relying on the expected evidence to decide the basis for you. Without it, you remain uncommitted and won't decide until evidence that fulfills your expectation presents itself. That may and will likely only happen after death. Hence, why I say wait rather than ask.

Furthermore, evidence for any one thing can come in many flavours. If a skeptic can respond appropriately to all kinds of evidence, then he is truly "ready for anything".

Depends on the nature of the skeptic's willingness to believe what presents itself before them. They may never believe anything that presents itself, in which case, they're not ready for anything at all.

:)

No, you misinterpreted me. I was referring to people who believed in a way where it affects people around them. Ie: judging someone for not agreeing with you, or restricting the rights of those who don't agree. The debate isimportant.

That's a violation of their rights as human beings in society, and yes, that's not something I agree with either. A religion that forces itself on others by threats or duress is generally looked down upon, and those forced to practice it at immediate harm will often come to resent and not truly feel the passion and belief that is necessary to practice religion. Hence, why after 9/11, very few people in America were driven to become Muslims out of fear. Instead, the opposite effect was experienced. No terrorist attack by Muslim extremists will ever convert people in mass quantities or generate the kinds followers they're expecting. Instead, all they're creating is a resistance movement from the surviving population that will make it their objective to shut down these kinds of operations not from a religion's perspective, but to correlate with the foundations of that society's commonwealth beliefs. Hence, why Americans felt 9/11 was an attack on freedom and American society, and why they celebrated the death of Osama bin Laden. Case in point, you do not attack and undermine the foundations and objectives of a society (freedom and the pursuit of happiness) and expect not to experience the consequences of it. The death of Osama bin Laden was celebrated because it was a clear demonstration of the consequences an extremist leader faces when they undermine society with duress and violence. It also discourages further such actions from those that would seek to continue his mission or other similar mission that undermines society and attacks the foundations of one.

To obtain additional believers, a religion needs to be open and may only express invitation to practice worship. By no means should it ever be done under duress.

Not all Christians will give the same answers as you have. Many in fact do believe they have proof; proof enough that they can look down on me or insert religion in politics.

Personally, I believe a theocracy won't ever work, as it doesn't adequately address the evolving changes of civilization. Until the divine deity takes a proactive seat in the country's administration and keeps in clear, concise, and direct correlation with changing society, there's no telling what's a regulation imposed by that deity, or whether it was the made-up regulation of that theocracy's authority figure(s) taking advantage of the beliefs of that populace to believe the dictation was founded by their deity, and not on their own, personal judgments.

Case in point, I don't follow everything the pope says either. He doesn't represent God in my opinion, and is really a "leader priest" when it comes down to it. And priests, as we know, are still fallible human beings like everyone else.

You seem to portray yourself as a guy who has an opinion but don't want them to clash; unfortunately, not everyone shares the same view as you.

Again, like I mentioned before, religion needs to only be allowed to present itself as an open invitation. To those who witness this invitation, they should have the freedom to accept or decline the invitation with no consequence of physical, mental, or social harm for their choice as long as they don't inflict physical, mental, or social harm upon those that present it to them. You may not like it when Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door, but you should always have the option to say "no thank you" and close your door. They, in turn, should respect your decision, and move along without thinking any less of you or portraying you in a bad fashion (what I mean by social harm). And if they nag and repeatedly ask, that, in my opinion, falls on the grounds of annoyance, and is considered "mental harm," and should be addressed with reasonable but humane repercussion to ensure such behavior isn't repeated or used against someone else.

In addition, no separation between church and state, as state administers and provides the necessary institutions (law enforcement, agencies, and so on) to ensure quality of life without anarchical consequences (as such limits on society-undermining and welfare-damaging freedoms need to be prohibited, ones like the case that Double A presented, may be encouraged by religion, but not by state and federal laws). Followers and foundations of that religion, bound, benefitting from, and reliant on the law enforcement and military protection of that state, need to respect the laws and regulations of said state, and should receive no special exemptions to standard regulations if they wish to reside and practice there.

Yes, I realize not every Christian would share these beliefs, but from a personal standpoint, it's what I think is necessary to ensure quality of life, freedom of religion, and maximum society stability.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Neo Pikachu said:
But to me, it's not and won't ever be all-knowing.
That still doesn't mean faith is any-knowing.

But you're relying on the expected evidence to decide the basis for you. Without it, you remain uncommitted and won't decide until evidence that fulfills your expectation presents itself.
This isn't about "our" expectations. This is about simple logic. Every human practices this. You do not rush outside of your house randomly unless there was evidence of a fire. You do not call the police about a murder unless there is evidence of a body, or a gun. This isn't just us; this is simply how our world works.

Then you mention that "oh, but there could be something above our senses".. but does that mean there is? And if so, how does it point to your exact religious belief?

Sure, there's a possibility that something's living in my closet even though I can't physically see it, but that doesn't mean it must be the invisible giant green ant.

Double A

It's more of a discussion of what can be considered evidence, and what's not.

Generally evidence doesn't require you to believe in it beforehand.

It's generally unreliable (but not completely) because science still only has a limited scope of the facts, facts that, if religion is right, can be bent or broken by divine forces. That's not to say science is useless to followers of religion. I think science is a helpful resource and tool to help recognize and analyze patterns and use them to benefit mankind. But to me, it's not and won't ever be all-knowing.

A bit of a strawman you have going there.

1. Science isn't an entity. All it is, is a collection of knowledge organized such that more knowledge can be obtained via testing or prediction.

2. Following on from the above, the scientific community does not ever claim to "be all-knowing". The very existence of science (which itself exists due to the desire to gain knowledge) is a testament to this.

3. Science does not have a limited scope on facts. It has an incredibly broad scope on facts. What it DOES have a "limited scope" on (whatever that means), are unsubstantiated ideas.

Logic and facts are grounded on the basis of what is followed by the context of human senses and what our brains interpret.

... which is the entirety of everything you percieve. Even if you HAVE been contacted by divinity, such information would only enter you through your senses and be processed by your mind.

If anything supposedly resides outside that sphere of sense, then you can't really be sure it exists.

It still, however, opens up the question and possibility that there is a context of awareness that exists outside our senses, which is quite possible given animals possess instincts and attributes that we don't have.

I'm not sure what animal instincts (which themselves are products of a long natural selection history of pain/pleasure, i.e. sensory input) have to do with this.

We cannot be truly sure of that. Therefore, I see logic as a good interpretive tool and is generally reliable for most cases, but again, to apply it as universal is a conceited notion.

You simply can't NOT apply logic to whatever you percieve. You even apply some form of logic to your ideas of the supernatural. I think it wouldn't be a stretch to say that your religion has applied the "God is X, therefore God is Y" argument at least once in its lifetime. Heck, every time you've ever attributed something to Yahweh, that itself is an (admittedly flawed) use of logic.

It's religion's way of opening the door as an invitation and as a means to educate. If your heart feels worshipping is the right thing to do and you feel this particular religion holds meaning, then all one needs to do is walk through that door.

I could say the exact same thing about the things that atheist skeptics say.

Religion is still a freedom of expression. Again, you may feel the evidence is insufficient. Others, like myself, believe there is enough to evidence in the world around us and in scripture and personal feeling of faith to advocate divine creation.

Skepticism is also a freedom of expression. Whether or not you or I feel that the evidence is sufficient, that alone does not measure how closely aligned these ideas are with truth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...svg/800px-Classical-Definition-of-Kno.svg.png

Take ^that image for instance. Belief always accompanies knowledge, but truth is not always accompanied by belief, indicating that truth can exist independently of belief and that belief alone does not lead one to truth.

Yes, I'm also applying this to myself. I can believe in concept X, but I won't "know" it unless I've observed multiple things from which concept X arises as the concept that can be best defended with the available evidence. Notice how this is independent of belief. You can believe I'm wrong, but that alone doesn't diminish my defense of that idea.

You don't agree with the idea, which is on the basis of your own personal preference. However, I ask for skeptics to stop asking for evidence because you likely won't get more than what's already here, at least not from the people you're asking anyway.

If that is the case, then our requests for evidence can also act as a means to educate others about critical thought, both within and without the sphere of theism, in which case asking for evidence is NOT fruitless.

I do, however, feel society cannot function properly if there is a separation of church and state. An action that violates a country's law cannot be dismissed on the basis of it being based on religion. Given the situation that religions are continuously created (I personally think Scientology is a massive scam, but we'll save that debate for another day), any separation undermines the overall welfare of that entire society. A newly-made religion could make it custom to murder and pillage from anyone who doesn't follow them, which simply can't be allowed for the sake of civilization. If a religion's network doesn't agree with the laws of that country, that's tough luck. They can go somewhere else in a country that does allow for such things. But as we know, countries that allow such travesties to be committed typically stay in shambles and never grow into economic superpowers. And, in turn, they are dominated and then influenced by countries that do know how to retain a balance of social benefit and stability that works for the people residing in it.

New Zealand - 2010's least corrupt country and most peaceful country according to the Corruption Perceptions and Global Peace indices respectively (as of 2011, it retains the former title but has dropped to second place in the latter).

The only attachment that the state has with religion is in the anthem, "God Defend New Zealand", which is purely ceremonial/traditional.

In the example where adherents of your "new religion" go around massacring people, a secular society would punish them all the same.

I don't understand your claim. Are you somehow mistaking "secularism" for "state atheism"? I also don't understand the bit that says "new religions are constantly being created, therefore church-state separation undermines public welfare".

Do I personally believe Abdel-Qader was right about what he did? Not in the slightest. There is no lesson learned from inflicting death. I don't believe God would warrant such brutal, heartless, and unforgiving punishment, but again, I'm a Christian, not a Muslim. I would not prosecute Abdel-Qader because he was following Muslim beliefs. I would prosecute him because he murdered another human being in cold blood, which if allowed, greatly undermines society and the quality of life.

Unless there's something wrong (i.e. the majority actively permit this kind of behaviour, as is the case in some religious communities), a secular state would not actively allow such activity either.

Religion is opening the door in invitation. In this case analogy, no one "forced" little boy Jimmy to come along. Heck, in this case, they saw little boy Jimmy walking off on the side of the road, invited him for a ride to the destination, and little boy Jimmy asked if they were already there and what the place looked like as soon as he jumped in the car. The driver told him, but Jimmy didn't believe him, but still wants to get there and know what the place looks like this very instant. As the driver, I'm saying to little boy Jimmy to wait until we get there so he can see for himself if my word isn't enough.

In that case, Jimmy doesn't represent me.

I would be skeptical of strangers inviting me into their cars from the very beginning. I wouldn't accept their ride without some sort of proof that they could be trusted (e.g. someone with whom I'm closely acquainted riding in the back seat and smiling). Until such evidence is given, am I really close-minded for denying the ride?

No I'm not. What I am, is open-minded to alternative possibilities (e.g. that the driver may not be trustworthy).

But if they really had a photograph of God, would you believe it? Or would you laugh and scoff that it was a great attempt at Photoshop, or whoever made it was a crafty CGI artist?

very sneaky

Notice how I said "including photographic". Dedicated fans of sportsmen would most likely have other kinds of evidence to back up their claim, such as autographs which match the sportsman's signature that would be spread across all sorts of memorabilia owned by all sorts of fans, or multiple different, independently-shot videos of the same person.

What you don't understand about photographic evidence is that one photo doesn't prove anything. If the vast majority of fans had photos of the same person, or could point out said person when presented with the images of many sportsmen as if they were well-acquainted with his/her appearance, then I'm reasonably inclined to believe that the sportsman was real. Moreso if I saw the same sportsman on TV doing his thang. If you presented me with a single "photo of God", I would most likely dismiss it.

If the majority of your Church could identify a single, specific appearance of God such that the number of people agreeing on this appearance makes it unlikely that a forger of some sort could have contacted all of them, then we'll talk.

That's the problem with the expectations of skeptics. Where and when you do recognize credible and examinable evidence?

When I can present that evidence to others and defend the proposition.

If one has to resort to "I believe you're not correct" to refute me, then I've successfully defended my proposition and shown my opponent's close-mindedness.

Depends on the nature of the skeptic's willingness to believe what presents itself before them. They may never believe anything that presents itself, in which case, they're not ready for anything at all.

You're forgetting the fact that a skeptic's belief in a concept is not solely based on the arguments and evidence provided by those who already believe one concept. There are multiple factors in getting a skeptic to believe, and a skeptic's refusal to believe could just be an indication of open-mindedness towards alternate proposals rather than a lack of readiness.

I linked you to a video about open-mindedness some time ago in which one of the examples given was the appearance of a mysterious woman at a car crash scene claiming to have some "mystical powder" that would cause "instant healing" when poured into the wounds of the victims. Denying that proposal based on lack of evidence does not represent a close-mindedness/lack of "readiness" towards the stated attributes of said "healing" powder, rather what it does represent is an open-mindedness/"readiness" towards the lack of the stated attributes of the powder, or even a possible set of harmful attributes of the powder.

;)

Last edited:

Nyami

I think I'm an agnostic atheist at this point (which is crazy because I never thought I would become atheist). I don't follow a god but I don't believe humans have a way of proving/disproving any deity. I've tried very hard to believe in God, but I think my faith has eroded to the point that I have clung to Christianity just to have something to believe in or out of fear of hell. Neither of which is true Christianity.

I'm content with not knowing for certain how the Earth and the universe was formed since it happened billions of years ago. I like what the Buddha says about metaphysical questions - that we're wasting precious time questioning and arguing when we just need to focus on what's going in the present. (If you're curious about this, Google "The Teaching of the Poisoned Arrow")

Last edited:

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
New Zealand - 2010's least corrupt country and most peaceful country according to the Corruption Perceptions and Global Peace indices respectively (as of 2011, it retains the former title but has dropped to second place in the latter).

The only attachment that the state has with religion is in the anthem, "God Defend New Zealand", which is purely ceremonial/traditional.

Yeah NZ! I think I like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.