• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

AI Partner Incompetence in the Galarian Star Tournament

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Does anyone think the partners in dlc Galarian Star Tournament. I'm baffled how often i end up dragging 95% of the wins. For example Leon wasting the Steel Beam move and killing his Aegislash with it if he is on your team. :D

Sometimes they are great.... other times they are so bad you just want to finish the last rounds to grind the tournament for easy money.

Pokefan_1987

I take lv100 ev trained pokemon in as part of my standard party. Carrying the partner is pretty much expected in that instance.
I know right. My zygarde and lvl 100 Incineroar and Zacian are literally mandatory bulk on my team and im so used to them.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Does anyone think the partners in dlc Galarian Star Tournament. I'm baffled how often i end up dragging 95% of the wins. For example Leon wasting the Steel Beam move and killing his Aegislash with it if he is on your team. :D

Sometimes they are great.... other times they are so bad you just want to finish the last rounds to grind the tournament for easy money.

The alternative would be to let the AI do the winning for you, which wouldn't feel quite as satisfying and will likely be exploited for easy farming for EXP and money. In addition, it would be quite unbecoming of a champion to let your partner do all the heavy liftiing.

This is expected of all videos games where you're given an AI-controlled partner and you're up against more opposition than usual: Ideally, the AI-controlled partner won't be good enough to pull you through all on their own, but not so bad as to drag you down. In this case, assuming you're at a comparable level to the other characters (mid-70s to low 80s), this seems to be about the amount of competence they bring, with the exception of Sordward and Shielbert, who are incompetent in-game and are thus meant to feel like loads.

Remember that this is a video game and not reality. Lots of people play these games for escapism and for wish fulfillment.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I literally just use the Star Tournaments for character interaction and dialogue. The characters’ teams are terrible, which is why I grab my level 90-something Zacian and obliterate everything.

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
I haven’t used every Trainer, but I tend to favor Hop because his Zac with Behemoth Blade is sick. I use my sweepers anyway, but from the Trainers I’ve tried so far, Hop is the least “why did you do that?” One.

I don’t like it when my AI partner targets my target, resulting in me wasting a move on the other mon that ends up being ‘Not Very” or “no effect”, and when the AI grabs the DMax. Seriously, partners battling together would have, at least, the most basic communication between them as to who targets what and who will use, and when, the DMax..

Shouldn't be too hard to code this into the battle sequence using existing Doubles as a template.

TyranatarGojira

Well I've cetainly learned a bit more about the mechanics of steel beam. Not only can it kill the pokemon that uses it if their life is too low, but it still takes the life off if it's protected or a miss. Thankfully those were done against me, rather than when Leon was fighting with me.
I haven’t used every Trainer, but I tend to favor Hop because his Zac with Behemoth Blade is sick. I use my sweepers anyway, but from the Trainers I’ve tried so far, Hop is the least “why did you do that?” One.
Helps that Hop isn't running a monotype team. Dubwool isn't amazing, but if you get lucky it can take some hits and do a little damage. Zacian is a legendary beatstick. And... You know I haven't even seen Rillaboom, Zacian is just beatsticking too well.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I participated inthis tournament 1 time and dont plan to do it again. Super boring and pointless

Pokefan_1987

It's not that pointless. It's a good way to rack up close to 300.000 after every tournament. That is good money.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just got the Galarian Start Tournament, so I haven't really had that experience yet. I'm mainly just using it for fun by mixing all of the pokemon from my various playthroughs (main game, postgame, GO, Isle of Armor, & Crown Tundra), so either way it doesn't really bother me

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Hard to say really. For me my Cherish Ball Level 100 Shiny Giratina, Level 100 Zacian, And Level 100 Shiny Rayquaza destroy everything in their path with one hit. I teamed up with Nessa and she didn’t even get to attack once during our Tournament as the only thing she was able to do was set up Rain Dance before I took everything out.