• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aim for the Top Floor! The Explosive Dragon Gym!! (1061)

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Alain's team packed the most destructive moves possible - Sky Attack, Guillotine, Stone Edge, Blast Burn - since it tied into his power-obsessed character.
While I appreciate Pokemon changing Pikachu's moves, losing Volt Tackle hurt Pikachu's visual presence. It's clear from the artwork that Volt Tackle was a more powerful version of Quick Attack (much like, in this episode, Brave Bird is bigger and brighter than Peck).

Here's hoping that Pikachu replaces Electroweb with Zippy Zap. It'll have a much cooler name in Japanese.

I, for one, love the variability which Electroweb brings to Pikachu's moveset. The fact that it can function as a trapping move, a shield, and even as a safety net makes Pikachu's battle strategies much more diverse.

DatsRight

SM117 was Filler. Nothing happened. Nobody learned new moves, nobody got character, personality, or plot development, it was just there to show off Malie City and set up this Filler episode

Shaymin at least demonstrated it knew Aromatherapy and just revealed SOMETHING of a personality and bond with Mallow after about ten episodes as cardboard.

I agree that Sandy should get some proper development and likely some water typing, though there is a Lana episode coming up.

I, for one, love the variability which Electroweb brings to Pikachu's moveset. The fact that it can function as a trapping move, a shield, and even as a safety net makes Pikachu's battle strategies much more diverse.

I have to agree with this, in fact I'd say Electroweb was one of SM's best calls in terms of Ash's battle run. It's nearly always used in a way that lets him to look somewhat cunning on the field and it replaces one of Pikachu's most dispensable attacks. It was a bizarre and unexpected choice to give Pikachu a Gen 5 move over any of the Let's Go ones (you'd think one of Sophocles' team would get it instead), but it works so I can't really complain.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I wonder how ash will use meltan in the league, the thing can barely even move as is, hopefully he finally learns how to effectively use a mostly defensive mon and not get creamed inmediately as soon as a pokemon who can move in more than a straight line appears aside from snorlax

p96822

Evolve me please
Wait this is not the first time that a gym leader used music to dodge move. Rudy from the Orange League did that too.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I’m enjoying the traditional Japanese setting and activities our heroes are in. The fourth floor seems a lot like Sasuke Ninja Warrior! Poor Lana. :(

That battle was pretty terrible but I did like that Rowlet learned Brave Bird and the head bopping to the XYZ music.

Put that fake badge in the trash! It’s lucky it’s getting eaten by the great and powerful Meltan! A shame it barely battled.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Really weird episode, but first I just find it a bit funny how aggressive-ish Ash has been with his Pokemon the past couple episodes, moreso with Rowlett in particular (grabbing it by the leg while it was flying, stuffing it in his backpack, and then here with ending its playtime rather abruptly). I think it obviously would have made more sense if the Gym was based on one from Johto. The close distance between Kanto and Johto doesn't justify a Kanto Gym in a Johto based city. Of course all the characters predictably fill their usual role types: Lilie with environmental related specialty (constantly with that "Powder Snow"); of course Mallow and Mamane get obsessed and distracted by food; Lilie straight up just sucking at activities/sports all alike, but then the often successful Suiren displays her typical marry-sue characteristics; and lastly Kaki and Ash both make it to the battle round, progressing with Kaki losing and Ash winning. Next, the Brave Bird animation sucks and the animation throughout most of the episode sucked, especially the training course segment (slideshow sequences, really, man?) and both the battles themselves. I swear the animation has been grossly exaggerated and over-hyped this generation-season. Not going to give this series more of my time by going into detail why I think Kaki should have lost or not, but getting one-shotted seems terribly unfair. Backing up, however, (pro) it's about time Peck has been upgraded... Like Litten, Rowlett is practically at full maturity Lastly, XY(&Z) music (again)—will leave that vague.

More Meltan development is of course good, naturally preparing it for its inevitable evolution, something that's been obvious since the legitimate beginning and was even foreshadowed last episode. It's strong will and connection with Rowlett, especially a small Rowlett destined not to evolve (during this series), serving as support for Mel's evolution (same material that happened with Noivern, Greninja, etc). My only concern is for Ash's full team, not Meltan's proegressive state. Will the mythical, purple spinning top pull another Goodra, or will Ash get a unique Pokemon. XY seriously pissed me off when they had Ash return to Kanto with three new Pokemon from an entire journey in Kalos. I never would have thought they'd pull a situation worse than Advanced Generations. I figured AG was the worse it could get and that if they never wanted to go the OG or DP route, then they'd keep repeating AG... but nope. Five should objectively be the minimal because 1. He's not vacationing and visiting these other regions in short burst, he's spending an immense amount of time actually journeying through them completely. (You can bet the norm of kids playing the games are not completing their journeys with 4-5 Pokemon.) 2. Pikachu is already suppose to give the writers an easier time by taking up 1/6 slots, something they obviously exploited in AG and even XY. Five Pokemon per region is not hard, at all, and it's not too much to ask nor demanding. Got off topic there, but um... I've actually gotten distracted and don't feel like finishing this comment *shrugs*. (May'be later.)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryuuki was just as fun as I had imagined, and I was quite impressed with his mastery of Dragon-types as shown when he defeated Kaki's Garagara with Dihead. Satoshi versus Ryuuki on the other hand, wasn't as great. I didn't think that Satoshi should've won, because Meltan hardly did anything to sustain the match until it used Flash Cannon as a combo move with Mokuroh's Brave Bird at the end.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Ryuki wasn't as strong as I was expecting. I guess I just consider him better in the games because his team in Sun/Moon was pretty tough for me, but here Ash used Meltan and still won.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Did they change the shuriken’s designs for the dub? I don’t remember them being pink or having rings with suction cups around them.

Aside from that, I thought this episode was great! Yeah, there were clunky parts, but the episode made up for it with the battle & the dub's voice acting (surprisingly). One of the best parts that had me laughing was the meta joke between Mallow & Ryuki when she asked if a gym leader can change the battle rules.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Did they change the shuriken’s designs for the dub? I don’t remember them being pink or having rings with suction cups around them.
They did indeed. They were just regular metal shuriken in the original.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
They did indeed. They were just regular metal shuriken in the original.
This looks like one of the kinds of edits OLM made themselves, like the edits made to that one part of the Team Flare arc.

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode. The battle between Ryuki and Ash was not too great, but at least Rowlet learned Brave Bird. Kiawe and Ash cheesed through the challenges, but damn, Ash, you just had to ruin the chains for the huge pink ball for Lana ineligible to pass. He didn't see how much Lana wanted to battle, although she probably would have lost had she did battle Ryuki.

Ha, too bad Ash no longer has proof of defeating Ryuki as Meltan ate the badge.

And yes, the shuriken objects were changed. Guess they don't want us knowing they can be dangerous, as Lillie was throwing them out of hand.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I enjoyed the episode overall. Ryuki is awesome and so is his team. I am happy that Meltan got to battle and that Rowlet finally learned a powerful move.

It was interesting to see each classmate stay back in they did not complete the quest (if I got that right). They all passed the 1st floor. Mallow and Sophocles reached the 2nd floor. Lillie the 3rd floor while Lana stayed back in the 4th floor thanks to the confidence of Ash. Kiawe and Ash got to the final floor.

Btw, this gives me an exact idea of their Alola League placings.
Except for Sophocles advancing further than Lillie

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
How did Lillie grow up in this region her whole life and not know there's a gym?

I was disappointed that only the top floor featured a battle.

I did think it was cool that the fourth floor was like Ninja Warrior.

I liked that Ryuki was a rock star like Roxie! Turn it up to 11!!

Why didn't Ash use Torracat, who was in no Grand Trial?

So no reward??

He got a badge that Meltan ate

Honestly this episode made me more convinced that Rowlet isnt evolving. It learned Brave Bird as a Rowlet instead of a Dartrix.

I've known it since the Everstone episode.

DatsRight

Except for Sophocles advancing further than Lillie

Sophocles wasn't distracted by the catering in the league though. :p

Mallow's was uncannily accurate in how she wanted to forfeit voluntarily though

And yes, the shuriken objects were changed. Guess they don't want us knowing they can be dangerous, as Lillie was throwing them out of hand.

Well yeah but....wasn't the entire point of that joke that the shurikens were dangerous in the first place? Not exactly giving off the wrong message to kids.

The edit seems questionable given the deadly nature of many Pokemon attacks.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I've known it since the Everstone episode.
That episode absolutely confirmed that Rowlet will not evolve and I can not fathom how anyone is still expecting it to happen. Like, him using a stone for Seed Bomb did not necessitate him swallowing the specific stone that makes it so you can't evolve. The only reason why they would do that, specifically, would be to make a statement that he isn't evolving. Ever. Expecting anything else is like expecting Ash to use that Thunderstone he's apparently been carrying with him since the OS.

andrewscott48209

That episode absolutely confirmed that Rowlet will not evolve and I can not fathom how anyone is still expecting it to happen. Like, him using a stone for Seed Bomb did not necessitate him swallowing the specific stone that makes it so you can't evolve. The only reason why they would do that, specifically, would be to make a statement that he isn't evolving. Ever. Expecting anything else is like expecting Ash to use that Thunderstone he's apparently been carrying with him since the OS.
Didn't Team Rocket steal it in the episode Pika and Goliath?

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I did not make the connection immediately but now that they mention it there is something about the gym that reminds me of Kanto. Noticing the girl and her pink throwing stars was almost just like that time in Fuschia city where Ash encountered a ninja pokemon trainer dressed in pink. Although I would call it a stretch to say that Koga's gym represents all of Kanto, I think the folks from this Alola gym actually did a pretty good job!

Is that so? Fascinating..