• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aiming for a balanced team

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I would like you to rate the movesets and held items of my main team.

Sigilyph lv. 40 (No permanent item, Macho Brace for now)
Quiet Nature. Tinted Lens ability
Moves:
Calm Mind
Air Slash
Psyshock
Heat Wave
I raised this pokemon from an egg when I saw that I needed a flying-type.

Klinklang lv. 55 (No held item)
Quirky nature, Minus ability
Moves:
Gear Grind
Shift Gear
Wild Charge
Return (Don't know if I'll keep this)
This is the Klinklang from my Black playthrough, which I have not used in a while.

Genesect lv. 91 (Rocky Helmet)
Naughty nature, download ability
Moves:
Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower (Interchangeable)
Magnet Bomb
Fly
X-scissor

Darmanitan lv. 90 (Muscle Band)
Quiet nature, Sheer Force ability
Moves:
Brick Break
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Rock Tomb (Didn't have the TM for Rock Slide, still need to explore Mistralton Cave.)

Samurott lv. 90 (Mystic Water)
Serious nature, Torrent ability
Moves:
Megahorn
Swords Dance
Waterfall
Aqua Jet

Scrafty lv. 40 (No permanent item, I switch the Macho Brace around depending on who I am training.)
Sassy nature, Moxie ability
Moves:
Sand-Attack
Crunch
Chip Away
Drain Punch

Last edited:

Cmack102

@ Samurott

It doesn't need both WaterFall and Aqua Tail. For in-game waterfall usage, probably stick with that over Aqua Tail, it's still got a viable power. If not try a HM Slave.

@ Darmanitan

Stone Edge/Rock Slide > Return - Rock Slide gives you a boost from Sheer Force as well

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Psychic > Psybeam on Sigilyph for more power (or you can go with Psyshock if you want to hit on both sides of the spectrum). Air Slash > Air Cutter for more power once again. If you're playing BW2, round off its moveset with Heat Wave to hit Steel-types, who wall both your STAB moves, and Signal Beam, to hit Dark-types for super-effective damage. If you don't have access to BW2, then I'd recommend Energy Ball for coverage, and either Calm Mind for boosting (which is important as Energy Ball doesn't offer you that good coverage) or something like Ice Beam as a filler move. Wise Glasses as its item to boost the power of all your Special moves.

Klinklang has access to Shift Gear, a great boosting move which gives you +1 Atk and +2 Spe, so you'd definitely want to run that > Screech. Gear Grind > Mirror Shot to work off Klinklang's better offensive stat; furthermore, Gear Grind is boosted by Shift Gear, and also hits twice which can help you against Sturdy users. Go with Wild Charge > Discharge, which is more powerful as it again works off Klinklang's base 100 Attack stat and gets the Shift Gear boost, and round off the moveset with Return > Metal Sound for some neutral coverage. You could give it a Muscle Band to boost its Attack further, or even Leftovers to help it recover HP while setting up.

Darmanitan doesn't need both Brick Break and Earthquake. Replace one of them with Flare Blitz, and give Darmanitan a Life Orb. Flare Blitz is an immensely powerful move whereas Fire Punch is there when you don't want to rapidly deplete your HP. When you use a Sheer Force-boosted move (Rock Slide, Fire Punch and Flare Blitz), you won't take Life Orb recoil but you'll still get the massive boost, which is why it's the best item for Darmanitan.

You could probably go with Flamethrower > Magnet Bomb on Genesect to hit Steel-types for super-effective damage.

Return > Aqua Tail on Samurott for the reasons stated by Cmack102. Return gets you some decent neutral coverage. Alternatively, you could try Aqua Jet, which will hit hard thanks to Swords Dance, and it's also a priority move which is always nice, especially on a relatively slow Pokemon like Samurott.

Hope this helps.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Thank you for the advice, I am now satisfied with my current Pokémon's movesets.
I have edited the Original Post to show the changes.
I was thinking maybe a Gengar with Focus blast and Shadow Punch/Ball to be the sixth pokemon. What do you think?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Quiet isn't the best Nature for Darmanitan and Sigilyph (also, IMO Magic Guard + Life Orb on Sigilyph is better than Tinted Lens + Wise Glasses).
Go with Adamant/Jolly for Darmanitan, and Modest/Timid for Sigilyph.

for Klinklang, keep Return, it literally has nothing else. In fact it didn't even get Wild Charge before B2/W2.
If you can get a DW one, then it's even better, as Plus/Minus is useless on Klinklang.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
The problem with that is that I've been raising that darmanitan since lv. 14.
It's lv. 90 now.
But as I have only been raising the sigilyph for 40 levels, I can see what I can do.
I also recently added a Scrafty with Drain Punch and Crunch, as it gets STABs in both, unlike Gengar with Focus Blast.