• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ain't nobody got time fo dat (National Pokedex)

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
I like to complete the pokedex. On my White version I have a living pokedex I have one of every species from Bulbasaur to Meloetta. I had done the same thing on my Platinum. It wasn't that hard to do

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's a bit of a habit of mine to want to see all the Pokémon, so while it is tedious, I don't mind it too much. (Gives me more hours on my White anyway.) I can understand the frustration everyone has about completing the National Dex, though, especially when it comes to the Event Pokémon. Because who really has time for those?

Laurelai

I completed the National Dex in Pearl, took a break for SS, completely forgot to play BW, but did finish W2 and completed my pokedex- I currently have all the pokemon and all their evolutions. I do however, stop at collecting all the seasonal forms and all the Unowns. I enjoy it :)

SprSncConzor

I do exactly this. I've finally finished transferring all my Diamond Pokemon (I completed the National Dex in Diamond) to White 2, and I'm just in the process of getting the Gen V ones. When I'm done, I'll have every single Pokemon (and their evolutions) in order of Dex number, in the PC box. Yes it's tedious, but if you have OCD like me, it's worth it!

(Oh and Laurelai, I have all the Unowns, but I can't be bothered to get the seasonal formes too. I'll probably just see them so they're in the Pokedex- What with N's Pokemon filling up my spare box, I don't think I'll have room for them!)

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I'm going to try, purely to get the Shiny Charm and start shiny hunting. In Ruby I had collected every single Pokemon besides Kangaskhan who I could not find ever in the safari zone of my Leaf Green. Other than that I've never tried / came close to completing a national dex.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
I can't be bothered, plus it would take up too much time. then theres all those events i missed ext. so i'll never try and complete my national dex. just the dex of the region I'm in.

MR DS BOY

Pokemon Master
I've never actually bothered to do it before however it always been a life goal for me. It wasn't possible to do so however back in Yellow or Gold because event Pokemon weren't given out like they are today. I actually have been trying to do it now in Black 2 and so far I've got 565. I've already completed the Unova Pokedex and I completed the Kanto Pokedex a few days ago for the first time, so I'm pretty happy at the moment :)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The only game I've ever come close to completing the National Dex in is FireRed, but I can't complete because I need several event Pokemon which are unavailable for me. It is kind of tedious, but that's pretty much always been the case.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I completed the Pokedex back in Blue because back then, it was pretty reasonable and offered a fun challenge. Now, with all of the special events that need to be attended in addition to a massive amount of Pokemon that need to be collected, completing the National Dex is just too much and I'd rather spend the time doing something else. It just feels like now, completing the National Dex is only something a serious hardcore fan can pull off without cheating.

budderytorterra7

Grass Type Trainer
I only completed it once in pokemon diamond. I was only 7. I don't know how I did that. I don't really try to anymore. It seems a little hard, it probably will take a few weeks. I guess if I really wanted to I could.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I am trying to complete my Unova dex in Black 2, but I am thinking about completing my National Dex before X and Y comes out. It will take tons of time though.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Within the past year, I finally got around to completing the National Pokedex on Platinum, HeartGold, White, and White 2. And just a few days ago, I completed my Emerald dex. I am now working on my LeafGreen's dex. When XY come out, I also plan to complete the dex on one of the games.

When I was younger, I completed the Hoenn dex on Ruby and obtained as many Pokemon as I could on Gold (didn't have access to trading on gen 1/2 at the time).

Virtual Headache

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have always wanted to complete my dexes but haven't managed to do so since Red version. After collecting and also trading for missing Pokémon a lot I would always stop playing my games after a while. This was not, because I wanted to stop but due to lack of time and interest and most of the time also the next Pokémon game being released. For B2/W2 I really want to change this, afer all I want to receive the shiny charm. I probably won't finish my collections in the older games though.

arnez22

Every game I get, I have to complete the national dex! I try to ignore it but it calls to me....

Ver-mont

No, I don't care about completing the National Dex anymore (last time I tried, it was Crystal).

The grand total of Pokémon is absurdly vast now, and honestly, you don't even get any real prize for completing the Dex anyway.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I've finished the dex every game since Fire Red. If I can manage to complete the entire National dex in Black 2 only two weeks after the game was even released, while managing a demanding class schedule and sports, there is definitely time to complete it. Now that there is some reward, completing it is a bit more appealing, too, so I don't see any problem with trying to complete it. I also see no problem with not wanting to complete it, though, since it isn't required in any way for game completion, other than for the Trainer Card.

Well I'm a collector. So I have every pokemon in my box from Bulbasaur-Genesect and all the Unown.

It's not THAT hard, the only ones that can be annoying to get are the events. But since there's been quite some wifi events for almost every event pokemon in the past few years, it's not that difficult to find them.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
What I try to do is just go around the region and catch whatever I happen to see, I don't go out of my way for anything unless it's a Legendary or something I want for my team.

This is pretty much me in a nutshell: Pokemon like Trubbish don't deserve my love!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
What's your opinion on the subject of the time it takes to complete the National Dex, and if it's worth it or not?

Every time I complete the National Pokedex I get a sense of accomplishment, but I suppose it's tiresome to complete the National Pokedex over and over again. I mean I catch, breed and trade Pokemon around and it really does take a long time. Some times it feels like a real chore. I guess I only bother with it because I like being thorough.

*~Silver*~

It's never really at the top of my "to-do list" but I still think of it as a some-what fun thing to try after you've defeated everything else in the game. It's a good way to keep your team working after the story-line is finished.