• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Airing of Grievances for the Anime

MunchMunch

I hate how movesets are chosen in the anime, it feels like every Pokemon knows the exact same moves. And I get it, they choose moves that are easy to animate or makes sense in a "IRL" settting, but still so many Pokemon in the anime have boring movesets.

Like if I see another fire type use Flamethrower, Flame Charge or Ember, I'm going to scream.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Like if I see another fire type use Flamethrower, Flame Charge or Ember, I'm going to scream.
Yeah, fire types have so many cool options. Heat wave, fire punch, lava plume and eruption are right there.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
As much as I love XY, TFA and TLJ they all do have the same problems and reception

GLg7SdobMAAAeUi

Observer

Mostly watching
As much as I love XY, TFA and TLJ they all do have the same problems and reception

GLg7SdobMAAAeUi

Alright so OS season 1 is A New Hope.

DP is probably The Empire Strikes Back, I've heard a lot of people say it was the best in the original trilogy.

AG is Return of The Jedi.

EmperorNova

Anime movesets tend to suck: Coverage moves tend to not matter until they suddenly do meaning even an almighty Champion's ace Pokemon can have a shitty moveset of multiple STAB moves but still be a threat because they do different things (looking at YOU Journey's Cynthia's Garchomp).

Red and Blue

Something else that bothered me about the PWC was the lack of losses for Ash. Aside from the montage after his defeat against Bea, the closest was the tie in their second match.

It would have been nice to see him lose a few more matches and have to work to raise his rank again before the Top 8.

Sonnas

Something else that bothered me about the PWC was the lack of losses for Ash. Aside from the montage after his defeat against Bea, the closest was the tie in their second match.

It would have been nice to see him lose a few more matches and have to work to raise his rank again before the Top 8.
I feel there probably wouldn't have him lose again because it would've taken more time to have him raise his rank again.

Luthor

Ash's Unfezant's is one issue that I can't help but notice. It's moves were Gust, Quick attack, Air cutter and Aerial ace (and wing attack though that was an error). Even by the standards of Gen 5 (in which Unfezant did have a limited moveset) there still was much better options. Especially as this was following Ash's Staraptor which had moves like Close Combat and Brave Bird.
It could have learnt Sky Attack, Giga Impact, Facade or Air Slash as direct damaging or give it something unexpected like, Attract (it could have learnt it from Snivy) , Hypnosis, Toxic or Taunt or if they waited for BW2 they could have given it Heat Wave . While I've often said I would have picked a different gen 5 bird (there were multiple good options) if they were going to stick to Unfezant at least give it something to distinguish itself from Ash's other birds.

ShadowForce720

Ash's Unfezant's is one issue that I can't help but notice. It's moves were Gust, Quick attack, Air cutter and Aerial ace (and wing attack though that was an error). Even by the standards of Gen 5 (in which Unfezant did have a limited moveset) there still was much better options. Especially as this was following Ash's Staraptor which had moves like Close Combat and Brave Bird.
It could have learnt Sky Attack, Giga Impact, Facade or Air Slash as direct damaging or give it something unexpected like, Attract (it could have learnt it from Snivy) , Hypnosis, Toxic or Taunt or if they waited for BW2 they could have given it Heat Wave . While I've often said I would have picked a different gen 5 bird (there were multiple good options) if they were going to stick to Unfezant at least give it something to distinguish itself from Ash's other birds.
In all honesty I wouldn’t have mind if instead of Ash catching a Pidove and fully evolving into a Unfezant if they had just given him a Archen that evolves into Archeops instead.

Heck it wouldn’t have taken much to rework that one episode where he bonds with a revived Archen that evolved into a Archeops in the same episode into a capture episode instead of having about 3 random Archeops just randomly showing up to take the one Ash bond with away.

In all honesty Ash should have gotten that Archeops that he bonded with regardless of him already having Unfezant, as those 3 random wild Archeops just suddenly showing up felt incredibly force and felt like they were only there because they need a way to avoid Ash catching the Archeops he bonded with.

Heck looking back at some episodes in past series some of the episodes felt like they were originally meant to be captured episodes for Ash, or another main character on the main cast but had to be reworked as a non-capture episode because someone higher up insisted that that “x” couldn’t catch “x” Pokémon for whatever reason.

Luthor

In all honesty I wouldn’t have mind if instead of Ash catching a Pidove and fully evolving into a Unfezant if they had just given him a Archen that evolves into Archeops instead.

Heck it wouldn’t have taken much to rework that one episode where he bonds with a revived Archen that evolved into a Archeops in the same episode into a capture episode instead of having about 3 random Archeops just randomly showing up to take the one Ash bond with away.

In all honesty Ash should have gotten that Archeops that he bonded with regardless of him already having Unfezant, as those 3 random wild Archeops just suddenly showing up felt incredibly force and felt like they were only there because they need a way to avoid Ash catching the Archeops he bonded with.

Heck looking back at some episodes in past series some of the episodes felt like they were originally meant to be captured episodes for Ash, or another main character on the main cast but had to be reworked as a non-capture episode because someone higher up insisted that that “x” couldn’t catch “x” Pokémon for whatever reason.

I would agree with you on that. Archeops would have been cool. But even if they really didn't want him to get a fossil (I see no problem with it but who knows what they were thinking) there was other options such as Swanna, Braviary and Mandibuzz all of which have much better move options.

DatsRight

Don’t forget how they seem to decide that that it was more important for Team Rocket Trio to do one more fake break up and then reunite and be doomed to chasing Ash and his Pikachu forever rather them giving them proper closure.

They had no problem giving Butch and Cassidy closure even though they didn’t have that many appearances and yet when it came to Team Rocket Trio who are characters that have been around for just as long as Ash, they couldn’t even be bothered to give them a proper ending.
Hell even their last two battles with Ash were just to get swatted away by both Lapras and Pigeot for their thing, a final insult to them just not mattering besides as a plot device. They couldn't even hold their interest long enough to write a full proper final showdown with them, and it felt like they're only there at all because they couldn't be bothered to write a whole plot with Lapras or Pidgeot either.

There's something just kinda.....depressing about how Team Rocket went down after Shudo left, that he was essentially the only one who cared about them as proper characters in the big picture of things. Everyone else only valued them as quick antagonists/padding that could be literally yeeted out of the story whenever they wanted. Even worse, this use also allowed them to take short cuts around developing the protagonists too since Team Rocket were perfect for them to play inactive Road Runner heroes against. It felt like Shudo left because he realised that in the Johto era no one seemed interested in developing EITHER side properly. It was a complacent formula that took until around SM for them to really grow out of for proper character driven ideas, and really the only thing that came with that notion was that Team Rocket had outlived their usefulness more and more.

I think it says something when even a snide adult cartoon like Hazbin Hotel will take Team Rocket's archetype and give them the redemption arc everyone wants them to have, while the anime itself when it was bowing them out for the last time and was giving every other key character a proper ending, just couldn't be bothered with them.

Last edited:

Blastmaster

Hell even their last two battles with Ash were just to get swatted away by both Lapras and Pigeot for their thing, a final insult to them just not mattering besides as a plot device. They couldn't even hold their interest long enough to write a full proper final showdown with them, and it felt like they're only there at all because they couldn't be bothered to write a whole plot with Lapras or Pidgeot either.

There's something just kinda.....depressing about how Team Rocket went down after Shudo left, that he was essentially the only one who cared about them as proper characters in the big picture of things. Everyone else only valued them as quick antagonists/padding that could be literally yeeted out of the story whenever they wanted. Even worse, this use also allowed them to take short cuts around developing the protagonists too since Team Rocket were perfect for them to play inactive Road Runner heroes against. It felt like Shudo left because he realised that in the Johto era no one seemed interested in developing EITHER side properly. It was a complacent formula that took until around SM for them to really grow out of for proper character driven ideas, and really the only thing that came with that notion was that Team Rocket had outlived their usefulness more and more.

I think it says something when even a snide adult cartoon like Hazbin Hotel will take Team Rocket's archetype and give them the redemption arc everyone wants them to have, while the anime itself when it was bowing them out for the last time and was giving every other key character a proper ending, just couldn't be bothered with them.
Hell it's not even that they couldn't be bothered, they just didn't want to. If the Yuyama interview's any indication, the show is always gonna be dead set on this idea that the characters need to forever chase after some endless goal they can never actually reach.

Ash got lucky with the PWC win to at least give some sense of achievement to his chase, but other than him I feel like everyone was robbed of an actual ending. Brock and Misty barely contributed anything past their return eps and the Brock one actively regressed his goal. Barely anyone else showed up and the few that did hardly contribute either. There's keeping things open-ended and then there's just... padding out the status quo.

ShadowForce720

Hell it's not even that they couldn't be bothered, they just didn't want to. If the Yuyama interview's any indication, the show is always gonna be dead set on this idea that the characters need to forever chase after some endless goal they can never actually reach.

Ash got lucky with the PWC win to at least give some sense of achievement to his chase, but other than him I feel like everyone was robbed of an actual ending. Brock and Misty barely contributed anything past their return eps and the Brock one actively regressed his goal. Barely anyone else showed up and the few that did hardly contribute either. There's keeping things open-ended and then there's just... padding out the status quo.
Heck if I’m remember right either Yuyama or someone else said had that they didn’t want and think Ash should beat Leon and become World Monarch as they wanted him to just be an ordinary trainer or something like that.

This is why in Aim to be a Pokémon Master they don’t make to much mention of his World Monarch/World Champion status.

Although there is this instance that Ash stay 10 forever that his journey was taking place in an “endless summer” I think down the line this is something that could change eventually as the people in charge of making the decisions for the anime change.

As in the past series the main reason why Ash was sticking around and not able to win a league for so long was because the people in charge of the decisions for the anime didn’t want to get rid him and didn’t want him to win the league.

Now I’m not sure about the Unova League but when you look at the Sinnoh & Kalos Leagues those two Leagues in particular felt like cases where the writers wanted Ash to win them and that they intended for Ash to win but had to change it and make him lose because the higher ups/people in charge of the major decisions for the anime said they were allowed to have Ash win those leagues.

I mean if you really think about if the anime is able to replace Ash and his Pikachu with new main characters despite all the resistance against it in past series, there is really that much preventing Ash from actually aging and us actually maybe seeing a older Ash eventually down the line in the future.

iraqmaster

At this point, I feel like they never really cared about these characters to give them somewhat a decent conclusion...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
At this point, I feel like they never really cared about these characters to give them somewhat a decent conclusion...
I mean...

Absolutely no one achieved their dreams or had riveting goals that were finished but were stupid in execution.

(Except maybe Sophocles...though his is just his introduction of his game counterpart turned into the ending.)