• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alain vs Paul; Battle Of The Strongest!

Choose Every Statement That You Agree With

• Total voters
Yeah but that's not Honchkrow's fault it still got the job done and with plenty to spare.The writers didn't want Paul using his stronger pokemon against Ash at the League.

Asking why I choose Ursaring over Gastrodon is a silly question but because Ursaring swept through half of Ash's team at Lake Acuity,Bulk Up increases it's attack/defense,if it's burned,poisoned or paralyzed it's Guts ability activates which makes it even stronger.Ash's Pikachu used Thunder Bolt on it and Ursaring just took it like a boss and came back with hammer arm.Against Barry it took everything his Hitmonlee threw at it but despite that Ursaring still won,it also took it's own focus blast without fainting after it was deflected back by Barry's Empoleon.The best Gastrodon could do was give Staraptor trouble and then get defeated by Buizel.The most impressive thing it did was sit on top of Staraptor to set up water pulse.Paul trained it to use Muddy Water as a counter shield but it didn't really matter against Buizel.

Magmortar is weaker than Ursaring but it's still higher than Gastrodon.

Magmortar
-Defeated Maylene's Ace Lucario
-Uses Rock Tomb as a defensive wall (even for suprise attacks)
-Stalemated Pikachu's Thunder Bolt while using Flamethrower
-Flame Body Ability inflicts burn damage on opponent when there's physical contact
-Took An Iron Tail,Quick Attack and Aqua Jet without fanting
-One shotted Barry's Skarmory
-Took Empoleon's Hydro Cannon without fainting

What's your argument for Swellow over Honchkrow?

What's your argument for Gastrodon over Magmortar/Ursaring?

Hey don't call me a silly, No need to do that

Well about swellow

Swellow beat hariyama and donphan, not satisfied with it, swellow left marks in metagross that helped Grovyle and Pikachu.

Also, don't forget the fight vs. Tucker

Swellow is definitely the best
I think that is enough to say Swellow> Honk

I understand what you mean about Ursaring and Magmortar, nevertheless, I thought Pauls final team would be the best team objectively

If that's not the case, we can assume that Ursaring, Magmortar got sick / injured

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Swellow had help from Corphish in that battle against Tucker.It beat Hariyama after it got done taking out 2 of Ash's pokemon and then defeated one of Tyson's weaker pokemon in Donphan.Honchkrow could do the same thing buddy.If it could easily defeat Grotle not once but twice what do you think would happen if faced off against Hariyama and Donphan?

Both are strong trainers but Alain would win easily with broken MCX

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
@PokemonBattleFanatic- Hi, could you explain to me how you came to this conclusion? XD

It's just a picture I got off google but regardless of what's shown in that image Paul would beat Gary.

The biggest threat to Paul would be Gary's Blastoise,none of his other pokemon are on the level of Paul's Torterra/Electivire/Drapion/Ursaring

Paul
Electivire
Drapion
Aggron
Froslass
Gastrodon
Ninjask

Vs.

Gary
Blastoise
Scizor
Arcanine
Magmar

Nidoqueen
Golem

Paul wins

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul
Torterra
Electivire
Drapion
Ursaring
Magmortar
Honchkrow

Vs.

Gary
Blastoise
Umbreon
Electivire
Scizor
Arcanine
Nidoking

Paul stomps

Last edited:
It's just a picture I got off google but regardless of what's shown in that image Paul would beat Gary.

The biggest threat to Paul would be Gary's Blastoise,none of his other pokemon are on the level of Paul's Torterra/Electivire/Drapion/Ursaring

Paul
Electivire
Drapion
Aggron
Froslass
Gastrodon
Ninjask

Vs.

Gary
Blastoise
Scizor
Arcanine
Magmar

Nidoqueen
Golem

Paul wins

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul
Torterra
Electivire
Drapion
Ursaring
Magmortar
Honchkrow

Vs.

Gary
Blastoise
Umbreon
Electivire
Scizor
Arcanine
Nidoking

Paul stomps
obviously Paul would win, Gary is a bit overrated. I found that on your Bulba profile

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Based off Journeys I'd have to say that Alain beats Paul in 2 different scenarios while Paul beats Alain in 1.What I'm iffy on is if Alain can sweep Paul with just MCX,he definitely would if this was Paul from DP but current Paul is on a different level.He of course has that feat against Ash's Dragonite plus Paul didn't use any of his strongest pokemon that he had in DP which I think some are stronger than his Garchomp.Seeing as Paul is the superior strategiest I could see him formulating a plan on how to try and take down his Charizard.Then again since this is Journeys where everyone got a monster power boost Alain's MCX should be capable of sweeping Paul 6-0 regardless of what strategy Paul comes up with.

Last edited:
Idc that Alain got thrashed in the M8. In this poll, the guy Ash never won against wins

JN Paul with M-Garchomp, Metagross & Electivire > Alain, Rahian, Flint

Alain, Rahian > JN Paul without gimmicks = Flint

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
JN Paul with M-Garchomp, Metagross & Electivire > Alain, Rahian, Flint

Alain, Rahian > JN Paul without gimmicks = Flint
Yeah Paul closes the gap exponentially with a Mega Garchomp,Alain has a powerful Charizard but it's way above the rest of his pokemon whereas Paul gave most of his pokemon equal amount of focus to where they're pretty close together in power.

So that means Paul has a more stacked roster of powerhouses than any of Ash's other rivals,but I think Paul is capable of reaching Alain's level,he has the willpower,work ethic and determination.

He abused switching,status moves,type advantage and abilities.In a short amount of time he made Chimchar physically stronger,faster and learned different moves prior to joining Ash,along with putting it through intense situations to unleash Blaze just so he could perfect it.

Then there's Electivire,Drapion and Ursaring who he all trained into absolute juggernauts in just 1 region.So I could very well see Paul reaching that level if he put most of his focus on a hypothetical Mega Garchomp especially since he's changed a bit on how he's treated his pokemon.

Last edited:

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
As of JN, I still think Alain would win against Paul, but it definitely wouldn't be a sweep. IMO, Paul's JN trio feel like they're roughly around the same level, while MCX is still far stronger than the rest of Alain's team.

I'd say the powerscale is something like MCX > Base Charizard = Paul's JN trio > Chesnaught/Malamar.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
So that means Paul has a more stacked roster of powerhouses than any of Ash's other rivals
Gary
Blastoise
Regidrago
Electivire
Umbreon
Arcanine
Scizor

Harrison
Blaziken

Morrison
Gligar
Steelix

Tyson
Metagross
Sceptile
Hariyama

Paul
Torterra
Electivire
Drapion
Garchomp
Ursaring
Gyarados
Metagross
Magmortar
Honchkrow
Nidoking
Hariyama
Gliscor

Barry
Empoleon

Stephan
Sawk

Bianca
Emboar

Trip
Serperior

Cameron
Lucario
Hydreigon

Virgil
Eevee
Flareon
Espeon
Glaceon
Leafeon
Vaporeon
Umbreon
Jolteon

Sawyer
Sceptile
Clawitzer

Alain
Charizard
Chesnaught
Malamar
Metagross
Bisharp
Unfezant

Gladion
Zoroark
Silvally
Lycanroc

Bea
Machamp
Grapploct

As of JN, I still think Alain would win against Paul, but it definitely wouldn't be a sweep. IMO, Paul's JN trio feel like they're roughly around the same level, while MCX is still far stronger than the rest of Alain's team.

I'd say the powerscale is something like MCX > Base Charizard = Paul's JN trio > Chesnaught/Malamar.
I still think that if Garchomp effortlessly took down an elite 4 or champion Pokemon like Dragonite, then Mega Evolving would make Paul stronger, especially because Paul would not depend only n Garchomp

Also, if Ash's Dragonite pulls off something impressive like defeating Cynthia's Garchomp, then Paul's strength will be even more apparent.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
To be honest, I don’t think that Paul could pull of a mega evolution. This gimmick demands that the Pokémon and the trainer have a strong bond together, and Paul is not the type of guy that would have this.

I could only see him having such a bond with Electivire, however, he has no mega evolution sadly.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
To be honest, I don’t think that Paul could pull of a mega evolution. This gimmick demands that the Pokémon and the trainer have a strong bond together, and Paul is not the type of guy that would have this.

I could only see him having such a bond with Electivire, however, he has no mega evolution sadly.
Gigantamax?Z-Move?

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
GMAX?Z-Move?
I was only referring to Mega Evolution, but to be honest with you, I can‘t see Paul doing trials or dancing with his Pokémon to unleash a Z-Move, either. He‘s someone that would love Dynamax: He can use it with any Pokémon to adapt to any situation and he can use it offensively, defensively or just to boost the stats of his Pokémon.

On another note, why is the list of Pokémon owned by his rivals that you posted incomplete?