• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alain vs Paul; Battle Of The Strongest!

Choose Every Statement That You Agree With

• Total voters

Vernikova

Champion
Screenshot_20221215_234101_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Not even Paul himself considers him on the same level as the Masters 8
No it's how you're interpreting it,he didn't say he wasn't on their level at all.
What Paul says (logically) is that if Ash has a hope of winning (the M8) then he shouldn't struggle against Paul. If Paul's own assessment is correct, then anyone who has a hope of winning shouldn't struggle against Paul in battle, so the question is "who does Paul think has a shot of winning?" Well, Steven, Cynthia, and Lance at least judging from the Pokemon he brought to train against Ash. Leon obviously. Ash won, so by Paul's own logic Paul isn't on Ash's level.

That leaves Diantha, Alain, and Iris. Diantha beat Lance. Alain had a really poor showing against Leon (but who wouldn't?), but if XY still holds, then he should be a bit below Diantha. Iris had a very good showing against Cynthia in that 3-2 loss: after one physical exchange, Cynthia Mega Evolved; Alain said that he didn't know who'd win between Haxorus and Mega Garchomp; once Iris connects hearts with Haxorus, Cynthia immediately orders Mega Garchomp to go with a full-powered attack: the narrative is pretty clear that Iris is someone Cynthia needs to put in real effort to beat otherwise she'd be caught lacking and that Haxorus and Mega Garchomp are peers, though Iris's battling style requires a lot of recoil.

So either Ash was underperforming against Paul, or he stepped up in the M8 tournament. In any case, JN Paul is not on JN Ash's level (which is obvious), and the narrative as well as the actual statements made in battle are clearly in favor of the M8 being stronger than Paul (like I've said for entirely other reasons that I have here).

RafaSceptile

Paul's strongest pokemons' are not proof apparently.So I guess Paul gets STOMPED by Kukui,Gladion and Guzma right?
"I don't have arguments so I said stuff the other guy never said" energy
You just said it's a "FACT" that Paul is not stronger than Kukui,Gladion and Guzma.How does this work?
Reread my comment, don't be a Nino
Were Hau,Kiawe and Lillie not in the that league?They got pretty high in that league but can you really say they'd do the same thing if they competed in the Johto,Hoenn,Sinnoh,Unova and Kalos leagues?
Top16 and Top8 (Lillie and Hau) barely counts as "high" for an achievement
I go and see who was in the Alola League and I'm supposed to be impressed?
Yes, Ash's biggest achievement before the Masters 8 Tournament, becomes an actual champion and has one of the 3 best full battles.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Ultimately all choices are narrative choices. We go with what the series has presented to us and make calls based on what the narrative consistently says. If people want to say that Paul is at the level of the M8 (or Ash), then they have a burden to prove their point. I don't think it can be done since even the one person trying to suggest that Paul is stronger than Iris has already admitted that Iris is stronger on paper.

Does that mean that you will respond to me now?

1. Yes, all choices are narrative, but in this case particularly, Iris being promoted to literal Champion of Unova in JN is much more of a pure narrative choice than one rooted in logic given that her prior performances placed as below the level of DP/XY/SM Ash and Paul.

2. Just because Iris is in the Master 8 doesn't automatically make her stronger on paper than somebody who chose not to compete in the event.

3. Paul's Metagross > Ash's Dragonite > Iris' Haxorus (her best Pokemon), based on actual results. I realize training battles are not the same as official battles, but this is the closest comparison. Paul's Metagross =/= his best Pokemon, which is likely Torterra or Electivire. Therefore, Paul likely has at least three Pokemon potentially stronger than Iris' ace Pokemon.

What Paul says (logically) is that if Ash has a hope of winning (the M8) then he shouldn't struggle against Paul. If Paul's own assessment is correct, then anyone who has a hope of winning shouldn't struggle against Paul in battle, so the question is "who does Paul think has a shot of winning?" Well, Steven, Cynthia, and Lance at least judging from the Pokemon he brought to train against Ash. Leon obviously. Ash won, so by Paul's own logic Paul isn't on Ash's level.

That leaves Diantha, Alain, and Iris. Diantha beat Lance. Alain had a really poor showing against Leon (but who wouldn't?), but if XY still holds, then he should be a bit below Diantha. Iris had a very good showing against Cynthia in that 3-2 loss: after one physical exchange, Cynthia Mega Evolved; Alain said that he didn't know who'd win between Haxorus and Mega Garchomp; once Iris connects hearts with Haxorus, Cynthia immediately orders Mega Garchomp to go with a full-powered attack: the narrative is pretty clear that Iris is someone Cynthia needs to put in real effort to beat otherwise she'd be caught lacking and that Haxorus and Mega Garchomp are peers, though Iris's battling style requires a lot of recoil.

So either Ash was underperforming against Paul, or he stepped up in the M8 tournament. In any case, JN Paul is not on JN Ash's level (which is obvious), and the narrative as well as the actual statements made in battle are clearly in favor of the M8 being stronger than Paul (like I've said for entirely other reasons that I have here).

I think we're overthinking that quote. Paul loves to taunt people, especially Ash. He's saying that if Ash struggles against him, then he's not going to beat the other Masters 8 trainers. This could still very well imply that Paul himself is on the same level of the Masters 8 trainers, so if Ash is struggling against him, then Ash has no chance of beating the others.

SkyBlaze9125

1. Yes, all choices are narrative, but in this case particularly, Iris being promoted to literal Champion of Unova in JN is much more of a pure narrative choice than one rooted in logic given that her prior performances placed as below the level of DP/XY/SM Ash and Paul.

2. Just because Iris is in the Master 8 doesn't automatically make her stronger on paper than somebody who chose not to compete in the event.

3. Paul's Metagross > Ash's Dragonite > Iris' Haxorus (her best Pokemon), based on actual results. I realize training battles are not the same as official battles, but this is the closest comparison. Paul's Metagross =/= his best Pokemon, which is likely Torterra or Electivire. Therefore, Paul likely has at least three Pokemon potentially stronger than Iris' ace Pokemon.

I think we're overthinking that quote. Paul loves to taunt people, especially Ash. He's saying that if Ash struggles against him, then he's not going to beat the other Masters 8 trainers. This could still very well imply that Paul himself is on the same level of the Masters 8 trainers, so if Ash is struggling against him, then Ash has no chance of beating the others.
It just one match. Iris Haxorus lost to Ash Dragonite once and people think it make Dragonite automatically stronger. Have them battle at least 3 times like Alain Charizard and Ash Greninja. Or Paul Electrivite (Electabuzz) v Ash Infernape (Monferno)

SkyBlaze9125

Like I wouldn’t say Ash Pikachu is stronger than Leon ChaorWrd becuase on another day Leon ChariSrd could beat Pikachu or Ash Lucario and Cynthia Garchomp

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
It just one match. Iris Haxorus lost to Ash Dragonite once and people think it make Dragonite automatically stronger. Have them battle at least 3 times like Alain Charizard and Ash Greninja. Or Paul Electrivite (Electabuzz) v Ash Infernape (Monferno)

Sure....but we can literally say that about any victory of Ash's however. Even in a hypothetical Bo3, it could be Haxorus 2-1 to just as easily 2-1 or 3-0 in favor of Dragonite. Haxorus is Iris' best Pokemon. If you want to claim that Haxorus' loss was more due to the brilliant strategy Ash used with Dragonite as opposed to Dragonite's raw 'stats' itself (which I think is faulty), then in an Paul vs Iris battle, that will absolutely be a problem for Iris considering Paul has proven to be an excellent strategist. Regardless, Dragonite got a win against Haxorus, and that same Dragonite later lost to Paul's Garchomp. And Garcomp is very likely not Paul's ace considering that position probably belongs to either Torterra or Electivire. So you have 3 Pokemon who at the very least are in the same relative power level of Iris' best Pokemon, even if in a drawn out Bo3, Haxorus might (and that's a big uncertainty) be better.

I'm not arguing that Paul > Iris BTW, but rather I don't see how there's definitive proof that Iris > Paul just because she's in the Masters 8 and he isn't out of his own volition to not compete in the PWC. Personally, I think they're on the same tier.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I swear Dawn defeating May while never defeating Zoey who got beaten by May has not clicked with your minds and clownery with “well X defeated Y who beat X” tragic. By this logic is Haxorus stronger than Leon’s Rillaboom since he one shot Dracovish who beat his Rillaboom?

Come on and stop picking and choosing what fits your narrative and be so freaking for real right now. Y’all can think whatever you want about Paul’s strength but what will not do is pick and choose how your brain dead power scaling works. Go fetch some better arguments.

Last edited:

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
I swear Dawn defeating May while never defeating Zoey who got beaten by May has not clicked with your minds and clownery with “well X defeated Y who beat X” tragic. By this logic is Haxorus stronger than Leon’s Rillaboom since he one shot Dracovish who beat his Rillaboom?

Come on and stop picking and choosing what fits your narrative and be so freaking for real right now. Y’all can think whatever you want about Paul’s strength but what will not do is pick and choose how your brain dead power scaling works. Go fetch some better arguments.

(I'm assuming this is a response to my last post.)

Disregarding the unnecessary/petty jabs lol, from what I have read in this random thread derailment (which is supposed to be Alain vs Paul, not Iris vs Paul), there hasn't been much pointing out as to why Iris > Paul other than, "she's in the Masters 8, therefore she's better." I hope there can be something fetched better than that.

Iris shows up in JN as the Unova Champion (a literal narrative boon since she was nowhere close to that level in her prior appearances where she lost to BW Ash, Drayden, and Clair), loses to Ash, comes back with offscreen wins as part of the Masters 8 (again a clear stylistic decision as the Masters 8 are comprised of the in-game Champions), and then loses to Cynthia. It might be possible that she defeated Flint to knock him out of the Masters 8, but Alain could have done that too. Or some off-screen character also beat Flint, causing him to drop down in rank. Regardless, Iris did give Cynthia a pretty good fight, so she obviously deserves to be up there.

Yes, Paul doesn't have much feats in JN since he showed up in one episode. And I agree, A > B, B > C, ergo A > C arguments are not perfect, but the point is Paul has a (likely) non-ace Pokemon capable of beating a Pokemon that happened to defeat Iris' ace. So at the very least, his Pokemon are on the level of Ash's and by extension, Iris. Also, Rillaboom defeated Dragonite and Sirfetch'd before losing to Dracovish, so that's not even a fair comparison.

Sham

The Guardian of War
(I'm assuming this is a response to my last post.)

Disregarding the unnecessary/petty jabs lol, from what I have read in this random thread derailment (which is supposed to be Alain vs Paul, not Iris vs Paul), there hasn't been much pointing out as to why Iris > Paul other than, "she's in the Masters 8, therefore she's better." I hope there can be something fetched better than that.

Iris shows up in JN as the Unova Champion (a literal narrative boon since she was nowhere close to that level in her prior appearances where she lost to BW Ash, Drayden, and Clair), loses to Ash, comes back with offscreen wins as part of the Masters 8 (again a clear stylistic decision as the Masters 8 are compromised of the in-game Champions), and then loses to Cynthia. It might be possible that she defeated Flint to knock him out of the Masters 8, but Alain could have done that too. Or some off-screen character also beat Flint, causing him to drop down in rank. Regardless, Iris did give Cynthia a pretty good fight, so she obviously deserves to be up there.

Yes, Paul doesn't have much feats in JN since he showed up in one episode. And I agree, A > B, B > C, ergo A > C arguments are not perfect, but the point is Paul has a (likely) non-ace Pokemon capable of beating a Pokemon that happened to defeat Iris' ace. So at the very least, his Pokemon are on the level of Ash's and by extension, Iris. Also, Rillaboom defeated Dragonite and Sirfetch'd before losing to Dracovish BTW, so that's not even a fair comparison.
I’m not arguing over who’s stronger because I know who is and quite frankly you can scream games as much as you want, that’s your perspective. What I am saying is that Paul defeating Dragonite doesn’t mean anything because that brain dead logic can apply towards anything. I don’t care whose feats you found more superior. I’m saying that argument is corny.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
I’m not arguing over who’s stronger because I know who is and quite frankly you scream games as much as you want, that’s your perspective. What I am saying is that Paul defeating Dragonite doesn’t mean anything because that brain dead logic can apply towards anything. I don’t care whose feats you found more superior. I’m saying that argument is corny.

I mean, you're more than welcome to be entitled to your opinions. Feel free to agree to disagree. I'm not saying one is definitively better than the other, but just that they're probably on the same level. And I rather take my "brain dead logic" over a hot take on what's corny or not.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I mean, you're more than welcome to be entitled to your opinions. I'm not saying one is definitively better than the other, but just that they're probably on the same level. And I rather take my "brain dead logic" over an argument based on corniness.
Right and I said that I wasn’t arguing about if a Champion is stronger than a Gym Leader but I will point out faulty logic that can apply anywhere. If you’re gonna make that argument you gotta bring up something to the table that doesn’t apply from OS-JN itself if we based power scaling on those conditions and not selectively which is what you’re doing here. My argument is not about who’s stronger but what logic is being used here. And quite frankly it’s very funny you have to attach Paul’s strength to other people’s names and without that have nothing

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Right and I said that I wasn’t arguing about if a Champion is stronger than a Gym Leader but I will point out faulty logic that can apply anywhere. If you’re gonna make that argument you gotta bring up something to the table that can apply from OS-JN itself if we based power scaling on those conditions and selectively what you’re doing here. My argument is about who’s stronger but what logic is being used here. And quite frankly it’s very funny you have to attach Paul’s strength to other people’s names and without that have nothing

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying here.

You keep saying "faulty logic", but the fact is: Garchomp beat Dragonite, and that same Dragonite beat Haxorus. Haxorus is Iris' strongest Pokemon. Garchomp is likely not Paul's strongest Pokemon.

Now supposedly we can't draw any conclusions from that? I beg to differ.

Apparently, the burden of proof is on how Paul is on par with Iris, but tit-for-tat, what exactly is the argument that Iris > Paul? That she's in the Masters 8, and he's not? Well he didn't participate, and therefore that shouldn't be held against him.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying here.

You keep saying "faulty logic", but the fact is: Garchomp beat Dragonite, and that same Dragonite beat Haxorus. Haxorus is Iris' strongest Pokemon. Garchomp is likely not Paul's strongest Pokemon.

Now supposedly we can't draw any conclusions from that? I beg to differ.

Apparently, the burden of proof is on how Paul is on par with Iris, but tit-for-tat, what exactly is the argument that Iris > Paul? That she's in the Masters 8, and he's not? Well he didn't participate, and therefore that shouldn't be held against him.
That your logic is faulty.

Alain defeated Rillaboom but Rillaboom KO’d Diantha’s entire team.

Dawn beat May who defeated Zoey but she never could.

Haxorus one shot Dracovish

Axew did more damage to Garchomp than Torterra did and even Cynthia admits this. Axew>his whole team? Axew even tanked her Dragon Rushes which none of Paul’s Pokémon was able to do.

Ash’s Greninja put a lot of pressure on Diantha ace more than Alain did against Melva (who crippled herself really) but Greninja never defeated MCX.

Mega Lucario took down two of Cynthia’s Pokémon but lost very early to Leon. And if you pull the “he’s stronger than her card” they’re number 2 and number 1 respectively.

Brain dead logic. As far as “what proof that Paul is lower than Iris” replace her name with Cynthia, Diantha, Leon, Steven and Lance if you can’t that shows you where this argument stems from and that’s on period.

Now do me a favor as a Paul fan and give me some feats without leaching onto other characters. All of this is you trying to let Paul eat from other people’s plates.

Last edited:

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
That your logic is faulty.

Alain defeated Rillaboom but Rillaboom KO’d Diantha’s entire team.

Dawn beat May who defeated Zoey but she never could.

Haxorus one shot Dracovish

Axew did more damage to Garchomp than Torterra did and even Cynthia admits this. Axew>his whole team? Axew even tanked her Dragon Rushes which none of Paul’s Pokémon was able to do.

Ash’s Greninja put a lot of pressure on Diantha ace more than Alain did against Melva (who crippled herself really) but Greninja never defeated MCX.

Mega Lucario took down two of Cynthia’s Pokémon but lost very early to Leon. And if you pull the “he’s stronger than her card” they’re number 2 and number 1 respectively.

Brain dead logic. As far as “what proof that Paul is lower than Iris” replace her name with Cynthia, Diantha, Leon, Steven and Lance if you can’t that shows you where this argument stems from and that’s on period.

Now do me a favor as a Paul fan and give me some feats without leaching onto other characters. All of this is you trying to let Paul eat from other people’s plates.

I could go one by one and point out some of the caveats to those examples. It'd be a real bother though, and I'll admit I don't have the energy to do so.

Look man, I agree with you that A > B, B > C, therefore A > C arguments are not perfect. Trust me, I know, despite the several times you called me/my logic "brain dead" haha. And respect for pointing out all those examples.

I am not debating Paul vs Cynthia, Diantha, Leon, Steven, or Lance. However, we do have an imperfect, but indirect comparison, tying Paul to Iris. At the very least, Paul has 1 (non-ace) Pokemon able to beat Ash's Dragonite. Ash's Dragonite is in the upper echelon of Ash's Pokemon, if not in his top 6 Pokemon.

No idea what you're trying to say about "leaching onto other characters" or "eat from other people's plates." I'm not even a Paul fan, whatever that means.

At the end of the day, much of what has happened in the anime is more based on writing choices/narrative decisions as opposed to what's logical or not. I think it was very intentionally done that Iris became the Unova Champion, and later part of the Masters 8. Likewise, I think it was very intentionally done that Paul was the last trainer whom Ash meets before the Masters 8, to help make him ready. I think it was very intentionally done that Paul didn't compete in the PWC. My general belief is that Paul and Iris are on par with each other. That's all.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I could go one by one and point out some of the caveats to those examples. It'd be a real bother though, and I'll admit I don't have the energy to do so.

Look man, I agree with you that A > B, B > C, therefore A > C arguments are not perfect. Trust me, I know, despite the several times you called me/my logic "brain dead" haha. And respect for pointing out all those examples.

I am not debating Paul vs Cynthia, Diantha, Leon, Steven, or Lance. However, we do have an imperfect, but indirect comparison, tying Paul to Iris. At the very least, Paul has 1 (non-ace) Pokemon able to beat Ash's Dragonite. Ash's Dragonite is in the upper echelon of Ash's Pokemon, if not in his top 6 Pokemon.

No idea what you're trying to say about "leaching onto other characters" or "eat from other people's plates." I'm not even a Paul fan, whatever that means.

At the end of the day, much of what has happened in the anime is more based on writing choices/narrative decisions as opposed to what's logical or not. I think it was very intentionally done that Iris became the Unova Champion, and later part of the Masters 8. Likewise, I think it was very intentionally done that Paul was the last trainer whom Ash meets before the Masters 8, to help make him ready. I think it was very intentionally done that Paul didn't compete in the PWC. My general belief is that Paul and Iris are on par with each other. That's all.
Oh okay. And I wasn’t debating who’s strong but instead saying that this argument can apply to many an all things thus loses it’s meaning in the long wrong because power scaling in the anime can be conflicting. And I was wrong for saying “brain dead” especially since you’ve been very civil while I was…rather aggressive.

As far as Paul, I think they mentioned he was never suppose to come back in the first place. My issue with this whole argument was diminishing other things (like the SM league companions or Ash’s title as well) when the former has lost four leagues but is somehow stronger than Gladion, Guzma etc.

So by extension yes I find this argument faulty because it always avoids the conversation of, what are Paul’s feats despite slamming Ash which rivals have done?

The only thing you can do is try to say Ash winning a league doesn’t count in terms of him being a Champion or Dragonite losing to a prepared Pokémon when it’s not like Haxorus could not have improved as well.

Constantly deflecting onto other people to avoid the question of what else did Paul do besides beat Ash three times and get his but handed to him by Cynthia and Brandon? This entire conversation would’ve ended if somebody could explain that to me.

So it’s not about power scaling them because that’s irrelevant but what are you giving us to say becoming Champion of the Alola doesn’t count because of the competitors and Iris and Paul have different feats. It’s attaching other characters to his growth as a trainer instead of it just being shown.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Oh okay. And I wasn’t debating who’s strong but instead saying that this argument can apply to many an all things thus loses it’s meaning in the long wrong because power scaling in the anime can be conflicting. And I was wrong for saying “brain dead” especially since you’ve been very civil while I was…rather aggressive.

As far as Paul, I think they mentioned he was never suppose to come back in the first place. My issue with this whole argument was diminishing other things (like the SM league companions or Ash’s title as well) when the former has lost four leagues but is somehow stronger than Gladion, Guzma etc.

So by extension yes I find this argument faulty because it always avoids the conversation of, what are Paul’s feats despite slamming Ash which rivals have done?

The only thing you can do is try to say Ash winning a league doesn’t count in terms of him being a Champion or Dragonite losing to a prepared Pokémon when it’s not like Haxorus could not have improved as well.

Constantly deflecting onto other people to avoid the question of what else did Paul do besides beat Ash three times and get his but handed to him by Cynthia and Brandon? This entire conversation would’ve ended if somebody could explain that to me.

So it’s not about power scaling them because that’s irrelevant but what are you giving us to say becoming Champion of the Alola doesn’t count because of the competitors and Iris and Paul have different feats. It’s attaching other characters to his growth as a trainer instead of it just being shown.
It's okay, I used to be aggressive and sarcastic in online debates everywhere, but now I'm old and mellowed out lol.

I think ever since the anime broke from the OS-DP progression with Ash, and the BW 'reset' happened, there's a disconnect where DP Ash is still considered by some as Ash's pinnacle (prior to JN of course) despite there being subsequent series. And Paul outclassed that DP Ash, especially at Lake Acuity, up until the Sinnoh League thriller, where he didn't even use his best team. Paul consistently showed he prioritized training only Pokemon who enjoyed his brutal training regimen, and he combined that with potent strategies, including entry hazards, triggering abilities, switching constantly, etc. Very few trainers have done that. I do wish they showed Paul beating more elite trainers, but he did sweep a pretty good trainer in Barry 3-0. I see now what you mean by "eating other people's plates" I think (???), because Paul's skill level is often predicated on his performances against Ash. Thus, if DP Ash (and now JN Ash) performs at a certain level against other trainers, then the assumption is that Paul should also be on that level. This could be seen as flawed, but I don't think it's entirely wrong to do this since the DP/JN iterations of Ash were both consistently good trainers, and Paul too was consistently good. I think it's fair to say that if Ash could handle a opponent, Paul should as well given his arsenal of powerhouses and strategy.

Considering how close DP Ash and Paul were to each other in skill, and how Ash improved/powerscaled in JN, then Paul undoubtedly levelled up too just like Ash. We see that obviously because none of his 3 Pokemon against Ash got instantly wiped despite Ash being a Champion-level trainer. In fact, his Garchomp beat Dragonite.

I don't think Paul losing four league conferences should be a negative either. It was mentioned for narrative purposes back in DP in order to match Ash with an equivalent, also seasoned rival. It took Ash 7 tries before he finally won his first league.

My theory is also that given Paul is considering taking the Gym Leader role in JN, that means he did beat Brandon with 3 Regis (Paul wouldn't have it any other way) because that was his goal after DP and he would have gotten that done first. Moreover, again a theory, but I think the writers wrote him out of the PWC because there wouldn't have been a good reason why a trainer of his potential, skill, and work ethic wouldn't have made it to the very end like Ash just as Cynthia expected back in DP. However, the writers wanted the Masters 8 to be more hype by having the in-game Champions with Ash replacing Kukui. I think they picked Alain to finish off the group because he's a more recent character, the most recent league conference winner, whose MCX was a raid boss badass all of XY, and he made for the perfect fall guy for Leon, such that by Ash beating Leon, he more or less surpassed Alain after the Kalos League and 'avenged' that loss.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I swear Dawn defeating May but while never defeating Zoey who got beaten by May has not clicked with your minds and clownery with “well X defeated Y who beat X” tragic.
May didn’t KO glameow and only slightly won against Zoey in a contest battle (based on points, not strength). Dawn also closely and barely defeated May based on the same thing, points. Zoey defeated Dawn in the grand festival in a very close battle where neither side fainted so they are obviously all in the same tier of power and one more successful move from Dawn could’ve given her that victory, those contests battles were very close and no one fainted.

Sham

The Guardian of War
May didn’t KO glameow and only slightly won against Zoey in a contest battle (based on points, not strength).
That doesn't mean anything. Contests are about performance as well and therefor is just as important as strength, unless you're moving the goal post. Just replace strength with appeal.
Dawn also closely and barely defeated May based on the same thing, points.
Irrelevant to what I'm saying, I don't care how close it was.
Zoey defeated Dawn in the grand festival in a very close battle where neither side fainted so they are obviously all in the same tier of power and one more successful move from Dawn could’ve given her that victory, those contests battles were very close and no one fainted.
Like I said I don't care how close it was, my point still stands. Replace strength with appeal. Don't try to add context with this but "uh my Garchomp toooook out Dragonite". Suddenly you understand power scaling but didn't prior.

Like I said, I'm ready for feats to be shown and not trying to tie Paul into characters

Last edited:

SkyBlaze9125

Sure....but we can literally say that about any victory of Ash's however. Even in a hypothetical Bo3, it could be Haxorus 2-1 to just as easily 2-1 or 3-0 in favor of Dragonite. Haxorus is Iris' best Pokemon. If you want to claim that Haxorus' loss was more due to the brilliant strategy Ash used with Dragonite as opposed to Dragonite's raw 'stats' itself (which I think is faulty), then in an Paul vs Iris battle, that will absolutely be a problem for Iris considering Paul has proven to be an excellent strategist. Regardless, Dragonite got a win against Haxorus, and that same Dragonite later lost to Paul's Garchomp. And Garcomp is very likely not Paul's ace considering that position probably belongs to either Torterra or Electivire. So you have 3 Pokemon who at the very least are in the same relative power level of Iris' best Pokemon, even if in a drawn out Bo3, Haxorus might (and that's a big uncertainty) be better.

I'm not arguing that Paul > Iris BTW, but rather I don't see how there's definitive proof that Iris > Paul just because she's in the Masters 8 and he isn't out of his own volition to not compete in the PWC. Personally, I think they're on the same tier.
Well don’t claim Paul is better than Iris…. Than I’m fine with it.