• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alcohol

Psykicko

I've had it once and I'm 12. My parents let me and my sister try their drinks which alcohol in them. As long as you drink responsibly and in small amounts, such as, lets say shots. As long as you don't drink like 20 shots in a night, I'd say you're fine. (then again I'm 12, so i could be wrong)

A valid point, but I think 20 shots of neat spirit would reduce most people to a blithering mess on the floor. ^_^

EDIT: Actually having said that, I'm a bit of a lightweight. It would take probably 10-12 shots to get me wasted. xP

Psykicko

Lol, that is true. I guess I mean don't take more than you can handle.

Absolutely. Everyone has a different tolerance level, and it's the responsibility of the individual drinking to gauge how much is enough/too much. Apart from risking your health, it's also very selfish as it means your friends will have to drink less so that they can still carry you home. =/

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
Exactly. If you and all your friends decide to drink a lot, you will be more likely to get in an accident or get arrested for drunk driving. :/

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Using Alcohol to "Break the ice" is sad. Yeah some people are timid and nervous, but is that really an excuse for puting posion into your body? Just to make so friends? Are you really that weak that you need to rely on posion to meet new people?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Hey JB, I had some serious classes on drugs and drink when I started at Ford. I was amazed at what poisons go into most alcohol. I even learned that I am 75% likely to be a 2nd generation alcoholic.

Knowing this, I am a firm believer that the best Long Island Iced Tea is one served in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl! Drinking is the same as going to McD. Both are bad for you, both can kill you (Yes drinking can also kill others). If you are responsible you are fine. For instance, I stop boozing 2 hours before I leave a bar. I eat, and only drink pop the next two hours. If I'm even a little tipsy after that, time to call a cab.

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
to be honest i see nothing wrong with drinking ever once in awile just not ever night but im not old enouph to drink so i dont know .3.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Drink to have friends
Drink to not get bulied
Drink to have a social life
Drink to not commit suicide

That's working backwards.

Yeah, I deleted that post. It was, um, not entirely not nonsensical :p

Basically, I pretty much magically developed a social life and many more friends after I drank for the first time, and then kept them without necessarily having to drink. I found all the social stuff very difficult previously. Drinking at two particular parties relaxed me enough to be able to talk to the people there who I didn't know, and they became my friends ever after. I had friends before this, but not as many and not really in a going-out-and-doing-fun-and-wholesome-activities-together sense. I believe I've already detailed this in an earlier post, but whatever.

Conclusion, I don't think it's a good idea to drink purely so that people will be friends with you because of you drinking, which I think is what you were decrying, but I see no issue with drinking in order to help yourself relax and make friends the usual way, if you usually have difficulty with that or even if you don't. It's been done for thousands of years and it seems to work.

tl;dr: Drinking to make friends = bad. Making friends while drunk = OK.

Last edited:

ChedWick

Using Alcohol to "Break the ice" is sad. Yeah some people are timid and nervous, but is that really an excuse for puting posion into your body? Just to make so friends? Are you really that weak that you need to rely on posion to meet new people?

Yes, yes I am. I'm thrilled to say I'm 9/10 a happy go lucky drunk.

George~©

All Gravy
Drinking is fun, it makes you feel nice, and when everyone else is on the same level as you, you have a brilliant time. But it does need to be regulated, drinking too often is terrible.

Personally marijuana outclasses alcohol any day.

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
Nothing beats hanging out with the bro's at the bar, tearing up a few beers and kicking it back to some good ol' country music.

That being said, yes be safe, yes be smart, and yes don't drive after you drink...and if you're buddy is absolutely trashed, give him a ride back even if he's a puking risk. Common courtesy....

...plus, if you get a few buddies to help you get his butt up the stairs, you may just get a cheap laugh and a video or two. :p

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
It's silly to condemn people for using alcohol because of the damage it does to them. People commonly do things that are adverse to their health, whether it's eating massive amounts of sugar, grease, and sodium, or thrill seeking like doing tricks on a dirtbike or even just riding a regular motorcycle.

I think the alcohol age should be lowered to 18 to match the age it takes to serve in the army. Serving in the army can be a lot more dangerous to your health, so it seems hypocritical to deny them a possibly dangerous drink.

Oh god shut up. Oliver Cromwell is dead, get the **** over it.

Honestly, why be such a prude? Maybe you and a new person share an affinity for a common drink, what's the beef in that? If alcohol facilitates social confidence, what is wrong with that, honestly? It's nothing to do with weakness or strength. You're more under the spell of alcohol than any social drinker.

Drink to have friends
Drink to not get bulied
Drink to have a social life
Drink to not commit suicide

That's working backwards.

You must be a riot to chill with.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Oh god shut up. Oliver Cromwell is dead, get the **** over it.

Hmmm

Honestly, why be such a prude? Maybe you and a new person share an affinity for a common drink, what's the beef in that?

Nothing, I never said it was.

If alcohol facilitates social confidence, what is wrong with that, honestly? It's nothing to do with weakness or strength. You're more under the spell of alcohol than any social drinker.

I've already said whats wrong it. If you cant build up the courage to talk to a girl, then you probally wasn't ment to be with her, drinking to gain "Social Confidence" is just like Drinking to stop bein gay. Using mind altering poison to change who you are. That's weak the way I see it.

You must be a riot to chill with.

You know it.

No trust me he was a really uptight pleasure hating dude. You would have got on.

Nothing, I never said it was.

No, you just heavily implied it and judged those who use alcohol as a social tool.

I've already said whats wrong it. If you cant build up the courage to talk to a girl, then you probally wasn't ment to be with her, drinking to gain "Social Confidence" is just like Drinking to stop bein gay. Using mind altering poison to change who you are. That's weak the way I see it.

Well then the way you "see it" is as that of a non-drinker, with no notion of what social drinking is. Any clown can look at some souped up guy full on dutch courage and clock that he's going to make a mug of himself, but honestly, who cares? Do we really need some jumped up prude judging those of us who occasionally have one too many. There's also a chasm of difference between breaking the ice and dutch courage. "Mind altering poison". Jesus. H.

You know it.

I'll take my chances and not try and find out.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
No trust me he was a really uptight pleasure hating dude. You would have got on.

Cool

No, you just heavily implied it and judged those who use alcohol as a social tool.

The problem is? Judging based on actions is how one forms opinions, no? Based on the actions of said person.

Well then the way you "see it" is as that of a non-drinker, with no notion of what social drinking is.

I know exactly what social drinking is, I don't need to do it to know what it is.

Any clown can look at some souped up guy full on dutch courage and clock that he's going to make a mug of himself, but honestly, who cares?

This has to do with what?

Do we really need some jumped up prude judging those of us who occasionally have one too many.

Yeah because I said something about "Havin one too many." Right?

There's also a chasm of difference between breaking the ice and dutch courage. "Mind altering poison". Jesus. H.

Not really, they both invouled you being drunk, or under the influence, "Lightly buzz" or however you try to justify it.

And Jesus. H. ?

legendarypokemonmaster

You can't deny that alcohol is poison. As for using it, I really don't see any reason at all, but some people do I guess.

He was actually a bit of a douche.

The problem is? Judging based on actions is how one forms opinions, no? Based on the actions of said person.

No ****. The process of judgement is well within your comprehension. It's whether it's justified or not is the issue. Yours isn't.

I know exactly what social drinking is, I don't need to do it to know what it is.

Well I'd argue it's a social experience which has to be undertaken to be understood, but yes, fine, we'll drop that one.

This has to do with what?

Your blanket judgement of people who have one too many from time to time.

Yeah because I said something about "Havin one too many." Right?

Again, heavily implied.

Not really, they both invouled you being drunk, or under the influence, "Lightly buzz" or however you try to justify it.

No they don't genius. This is exactly why the notion of having to experience something before you judge it is worthwhile here. Breaking the ice via alcohol does not in any way require you to be drunk. The idea of having to "justify" myself to someone like you also ironically makes me want a stiff beverage. Don't try and take the moral high ground, you don't have it.

And Jesus. H. ?

My incredulity at your pious puritanism. It's tiresome.

Last edited:

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
No they don't genius. This is exactly why the notion of having to experience something before you judge it is worthwhile here. Breaking the ice via alcohol does not in any way require you to be drunk. The idea of having to "justify" myself to someone like you also makes my stomach turn. Don't try and take the moral high ground, you don't have it.

I'd just like to add to this, if I may. I personally, can't count the number of people on both hands who I've gotten to know over a pint. That is, one pint. Not binge drinking at all, just having one drink that overall is not far off the health benefits of a standard soft drink. There's something comforting about having a glass of alcohol in your hand as you talk to someone new. It's not even the drinking, just the having a glass of it in your hand automatically gives you something in common- an affinity- with a person, which allows you to strike up a conversation where you might further discover things in common.

Drinking is something that is a bonding experience for so many people, and really can't be judged by someone that hasn't done it, like you say, Snorunt Conservationist. I'd put good money on a large percentage of parents in the western world having met in a place or scenario where there was social drinking going on.