• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ALERT: Ability Patch BUG with Pokemon from Gen 3 & 4

Jamiboy

Hey guys,

This is really sad and frustrating! But if you apply the ability patch to a Gen 3 or 4 pokemon, that pokemon will not longer be able to be used online in BATTLES and RAIDS, the hack checker is still outdated and it flags the Pokemon as HACKED/ILLEGAL, this is because in Gen 3 and 4 Hidden abilities did not exist, so it marked them as hacked pokemon after giving the pkm the HA with the ability patch.

I have a shiny dragonite from soul silver with multiples ribbons, I spent so many days/months/years to be able to have him and when I was able to transfer him to Crown of Tundra I was super happy, I was able to use him for all until I applied the ability patch! Now my pokemon is flaged as ILLEGAL and Hacked and cannot be used for raids or online battle (yess even friends battles)

If you want to replicate this, get a blaziken from emerald and use the ability patch and you will see what Im saying!

Please help me to spread the word! not many fans have pkms from gen 3 and 4 so its been difficult to spread this!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This feels like the sort of thing that really DOES need a patch of some sort. Usually, Game Freak's response to glitches and exploits is to, well, do absolutely nothing (though that may be more The Pokémon Company's response, not sure). This one, however, prevents Pokémon from participating in things they would normally be able to.

I still expect a response of absolutely nothing though.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
They not addressing it is the most likely option as unfortunate as that is. Which is kind of sad because it does show how they view longtime players....

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I mainly planned on using the Ability Patch to get some of the harder to get HA such as Speed Boost Venipede And Gooey Goodra.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It's happening to Pokemon from Gen 5 and before.

Best I can say is to avoid using the Ability Patch to be on the safe side.

This feels like the sort of thing that really DOES need a patch of some sort. Usually, Game Freak's response to glitches and exploits is to, well, do absolutely nothing (though that may be more The Pokémon Company's response, not sure). This one, however, prevents Pokémon from participating in things they would normally be able to.

Remember the big glitch in Lumiose City in X and Y? The one that would destroy people's save files if they saved in most of the city? Game Freak patched that.

Remember how hackers were trading people illegal Pokemon over surprise/wonder trade in Sword and Shield that would mess up their wifi? Game Freak patched that as well.

So I'm thinking they'll patch this too, since this issue affects game play.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
They not addressing it is the most likely option as unfortunate as that is. Which is kind of sad because it does show how they view longtime players....

This is a company that spent most of its time before patches were a thing, run by a production committee comprised mainly of old businessmen who don't know their way around new technology, in a country whose online subcultures emphasize the gaming community taking action rather than the game companies. A Japanese game company that readily responds to bugs, glitches, and exploits is really more the exception than the norm, most of which do get the majority of their revenue overseas, such as Capcom, Nintendo, and SEGA. The Pokémon Company is still a Japan-first company.

It really speaks more to those subcultures that 1) nothing has ever happened that was so catastrophic that the game company had to step in, even in MMOs, and 2) the players are a bit TOO forgiving, causing the game companies to become complacent.

I mainly planned on using the Ability Patch to get some of the harder to get HA such as Speed Boost Venipede And Gooey Goodra.

For some reason, the Hidden Ability Max Raid Battles for the Venipede line is for Whirlipede. It may appear to be hard to find, but you need to seek out Whirlipede if you want one with Speed Boost. (Scolipede also gets Speed Boost in some of them, but it's a lot rarer than Whirlipede.)

As for Gooey Goodra, I have the correct version and that things STILL a pain to track down.

Remember the big glitch in Lumiose City in X and Y? The one that would destroy people's save files if they saved in most of the city? Game Freak patched that.

Remember how hackers were trading people illegal Pokemon over surprise/wonder trade in Sword and Shield that would mess up their wifi? Game Freak patched that as well.

So I'm thinking they'll patch this too, since this issue affects game play.

Ah, they actually patched the illegal Pokémon? I thought the Lumoise City save glitch was the only one that was patched, since that was one that stemmed from the game itself rather than players exploiting the system.

Wait, I think I remember now. The patch happened months after it happened. Maybe it's just a slow bureaucratic process, even as bridges were getting burned.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Yep. They made it so people's games wouldn't get screwed up by malicious Pokemon. Maybe.

Ariki

Thanks for raising the alarm on this. Hopefully, they do patch it so Pokemon from Gen 3 - 5 are able to use the ability patch as intended. I'm confident that there are lots of Pokemon from those gens in Home and in online gameplay circulating around.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

I should mention that one time I had a Poliwhirl I got from Pokemon Yellow VC. At the time, Gold/Silver/Crystal have not came out yet, but the game of origin ID would still denote Yellow. Anyway, I evolved it into a Politoed through an online trade, but I couldn't get it back because it was flagged illegal. Eventually, I was able to take it back with me because the online was adjusted to accept it.

Last edited:

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
I dunno if any of you had this problem, but a friend of mine transferred some of his Pokémon from GO to HOME to get that Melmetal, but now ALL the mons that came from GO are stuck in HOME for being "illegal"... That include his G-Max Melmetal too! Another community told me it is because the event is too recent, and that the games need a new patch to accept them. So in other words, does that means he must wait a little while, or his mons are stuck for good?

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Merged this post into this thread since it's dealing with a similar flagging issue.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't know how many people know this, but the ability patch bug has been reportedly fix as some Reddit users have mentioned.

This was in a Reddit discussion a month ago, but I just looked it up today.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I don't know how many people know this, but the ability patch bug has been reportedly fix as some Reddit users have mentioned.

This was in a Reddit discussion a month ago, but I just looked it up today.
Thanks for sharing. Been waiting to patch a Blaziken from the original Sapphire to have Speed Boost until this was fixed. About to try to get 50 more ores.