• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Dragon Ball Discussion Thread (Discuss Z/GT/Kai etc. Here!)

Kataphrut

With Super coming to an end, I feel it's appropriate to ask on what people think is the better successor to the original manga/two anime-Dragonball GT or Dragonball Super?

GT is the Star Wars prequel trilogy, despite being a sequel, while Super is the Star Wars sequel trilogy, despite being a midquel.

Neither quite matches the heights of the original, but one is clearly better than the other.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
With Super coming to an end, I feel it's appropriate to ask on what people think is the better successor to the original manga/two anime-Dragonball GT or Dragonball Super?

I don't know. I prefer Super's humour in the slice-of-life stuff and Super does a slightly better job of bringing characters that aren't Goku into the limelight, although to a large part that's just focused on Vegeta. On the other hand, I feel like GT had the more interesting antagonists. I think Beerus and Zamasu were great antagonists, but the rest of them are just really boring. Freeza had already been done plenty of times and failed to be a legitimate threat to Goku and Vegeta, especially in the movie. Hit was fairly bland as a character but he at least had some cool abilities to back it up and the universe 6 tournament was sufficiently short so that he didn't overstay his welcome. Jiren is by far the worst antagonist in the entire series. His character is as bland as it can be, his backstory isn't interesting at all, he's got no unique powers at all (he's just strong), and this arc takes forever (unlike some movie villains like Super Android 13). I feel like the GT villains had better backstories and more connection between the arcs. Baby was cool and had so much buildup throughout the first arc of looking for the black star dragon balls and was tied in with Vegeta's past. Super 17 was bland and the hell-stuff doesn't really make much sense considering how the afterlife worked in the manga (but Super also ignores it with Freeza, and so does plenty of Toei's material like Fusion Reborn so meh) but he was tied with previous threats Dr. Myuu and Dr. Gero quite nicely and he didn't overstay his welcome. The Shadow Dragons were as a concept amazing, tying them to the overuse of the Dragon Balls, but the execution fell short outside of Omega Shenron. If they had more time to flesh out the other Shadow Dragons and have several of the other characters in the cast fight them it could have been amazing.

Aside from the villains, I feel like GT did more cool stuff. Super Saiyan 4 is just really cool and I love it. Bringing back the Great Ape forms was really cool as well. The God forms of Super just don't really hit it for me, they feel like lazy colour-swaps. Especially the red form, which initially was quite cool as it was almost like a six-way fusion in how difficult it was to get and how powerful it was, and then they just got rid of the fusion requirement because Goku absorbed the power because he was the main character. Granted. GT also did that with Super Saiyan 4, I'd have preferred it if they kept the full moon being present as a requirement for the transformation (although with that power ball technique which resembles the moon it doesn't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things).

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
[spoil]Whoever watched today's episode on TV or livestream( I don't wanna spoil it to people who didn't watch it); just a friendly reminder that if Goku didn't lose UI, U7 would win with 3 people on the field. BTW 17 is not dead.Also,U7 will win, pretty much.[/spoil]

phanpycross

God-king
-7 seems so pointless here, Frieza would honestly have been fine.

Rest of the episode was F*cking banger tho, action was superb, Jiren's meltdown was satisfying, and Ultra Instinct still looks cool as f*ck.

Red and Blue

The fight should have ended here. How are they going to have enough time next week to wrap this up?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
17's explosion was so conclusive that even the Grand Priest said he had died from it.

....if Goku and Freeza had fallen, would he even had noticed it and declared the fight a draw, or would he had declared U7 the loser despite that not being true.

The GP's been rigging this tournament from the start for U7, hasn't he. :v

Mr. Reloaded

All encompassing
I don't know how to feel.

Biggest asspull in probably awhile, but at the same time you're not about see much of 17 again so take what you can get lmao.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I am just gonna throw it here... remember that picture for episode 131; Frieza and Goku looking shocked? I predict they're being eliminated and 'shocked' and 17 somehow wins whole thing.So, I will lock on 17 winning ToP. Everybody is saying Frieza will win but twist is 17 will win.

Kataphrut

I think I was one of the ones complaining that 17 was getting too much shine, but at this point, I don't care anymore. Rock on MVP! I also love that despite Vegeta's big talk about Saiyans last episode, our final three contenders are Goku using a form that has nothing to do with Super Saiyan, Freeza and ANDROID 17. While part of me still wishes Gohan had been in that spot, this honestly makes up for it.

Also, while I'm sure people are complaining about it, Jiren attacking the stands in a fit of anger was the best character writing he's ever had. It contextualises his philosophy better than any hackneyed backstory flashback, and Goku turning the fight around on him in response to the point where he pretty much threw in the towel afterward cemented that his arc was a) complete and b) actually existed. Hell, as hyped as I am for Freeza and 17 being the big heroes in the final ep, I almost wish the fight had ended here, since it's hard to imagine how it can keep going after that. Plus, the animation in this episode was so mind-blowingly spectacular, even next week's Takahashi-fronted finale probably won't top it. And we really need more than half an episode to wrap up the non-fighting side of the tournament. The preview suggests we'll get to see Super Shenron summoned, but I feel like it can't just end there unless it's going to lead directly into the movie.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Knowing that 17's self destruct had the same conclusion as vegeta's explosion, almost nullifies the impact it had. I'm glad he's still alive but i wish his sacrifice was as meaningful as shown in that episode.

What jiren did defined and cemented his character as the one who will throw away any rules for the sake of his beliefs. Friendship gives you strength? Not if they're dead, it won't. More than the clash of powers, this fight is a clash of ideals and jiren's clearly on the losing side. Now, for how the 3 remaining U7's fighters will either defeat jiren (i doubt it) or run the clock, with jiren still having even some of his power, is gonna be interesting.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Honestly Jiren was more entertaining in this one episode than he had been for the rest of the arc, and I actually liked the role reversal during the first part of the episode where Goku was silent and emotionless while Jiren was very quickly losing his cool. It felt like a solid taste of Jiren's own medicine. 17 surviving is whatever at this point. Considering this whole arc has been full of people powering up (and up and up) while 17's just been there trying to applying logic to this tournament... he kind of deserves the upset win at this point.

Also, no Zen'os throughout the entire episode. Huzzah!

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
kinda funny how most of the spoiler summaries turned out wrong, it's definitely thrown those on youtube who post them for a loop and their happy because no one knows what to expect next Saturday.

Mr. Reloaded

All encompassing
kinda funny how most of the spoiler summaries turned out wrong, it's definitely thrown those on youtube who post them for a loop and their happy because no one knows what to expect next Saturday.

It's not so much they were wrong, they were just misleading or very vague.

Red and Blue

I'm curious how Belmod will react when he and the rest of U11 are(temporarily) erased. It must be a slap in the face to him when he was so certain of U11's victory.

togenaught18

Out of the arena inst exactly eliminated, even that was true, but that didnt mention freezer will save him. Troll spoiler :p

RedJirachi

Veteran member
17's explosion was so conclusive that even the Grand Priest said he had died from it.

....if Goku and Freeza had fallen, would he even had noticed it and declared the fight a draw, or would he had declared U7 the loser despite that not being true.

The GP's been rigging this tournament from the start for U7, hasn't he. :v

No, it's because their plot armor makes katchin katchin look like tissue paper

The fight should have ended here. How are they going to have enough time next week to wrap this up?

I hope next episode is double the length. Although it's also possible we may be getting a cliffhanger

BCVM22

I hope next episode is double the length.

I think we'd know if it were, the same way we knew well ahead of time that episodes 109 and 110 were airing as a double-length special. They'd have advertised it that way from the beginning.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think we'd know if it were, the same way we knew well ahead of time that episodes 109 and 110 were airing as a double-length special. They'd have advertised it that way from the beginning.

Then my worst fears are realized. This better be a cliffhanger, they cannot sweep all that closure in part of an episode