1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

All Dragon Ball Discussion Thread (Discuss Z/GT/Kai etc. Here!)

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by shadowF, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

This one is apparently since it's taking place after the Tournament of Power. Especially if Broly lives and appears once Super returns

2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

Canon in Dragon Ball changes all the time, you shouldn't take it too seriously, Toriyama just changes it up whenever he feels like it. He's especially bad with times and dates in his stories, even the original manga contradicts itself a lot on those things.

Red and Blue likes this.
  3. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but there's nothing wrong with wanting Dragon Ball to be better in that regard.

I'm not sure what you were expecting from a non-canon promotional anime for an arcade game.

4. CyberBlaziken

CyberBlaziken You're blocking my view.

Battle of Gods was set after the Majin Buu Saga, things changed, did it not?

The anime and manga will cover the movie with its own spin.

5. Red and Blue

Oh i hope not. Especially since this is being advertised as a Super film unlike BoG and RoF which were Z films.

6. CyberBlaziken

Battle of Gods was released well before Super was even a thing, as was Revival of F, which warranted the Z tag-line.

Revival of F hit the screens in Japan in April 18th, 2015, the anime was announced after it was released, and premiered in July.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

This film is absolutely being marketed as canonical to Super.

Will there be an accompanying manga that tells its own version of events? Maybe.
    Will they overwrite what the movie puts forward if it is convenient to do so later on? Maybe.

But the film is absolutely being marketed as a canonical follow-up to the end of Super. And as such, for now, it's absolutely canon, especially as we don't yet have confirmation of a continuing anime afterward. The lack of an ongoing anime right now is why this film is able to be canon, because they don't have to be mindful of current events going on in another production, as every Z film did on the way to being noncanonical.

8. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

The problems with Goten and Trunks not aging. First, it comes off as lazy not making a new character model. Second, they're half-Saiyans, and the only prior half-Saiyan we have to this(Son Gohan) aged normally. Third, in both the anime special and the manga Future Trunks looked his age at the same time period as the Tournament of Power, but his counterpart looks 7

9. Red and Blue

Since we get to see Vegeta as a baby in the film, I wonder if they will show Vegeta's mother?

10. Poke Trainer J

Poke Trainer J Well-Known Member

The real reason why Goten and Trunks don't age in Dragon Ball Super is because Toei needs young boys to continue promoting the Shonen Brand in Dragon Ball. Much like with the rest of the Z Warriors they're only relevant when the plot demands it, normally involving the Pilaf gang. Gotenks who was once a respectable character during the Buu arc is nothing more than a gag character akin to Arale from Dr. Slump.

11. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Most people didn't like Gotenks, so that's probably why they don't use him that often. And give credit to Arale, her gag is being silly powerful like a proto-Saitama rather than Gotenks getting worfed every time he shows up

12. uber gon

uber gon Accept Change

So manga Tournament of Power have Goku and Vegeta teaming-up against Jiren. Willingly. And it's apparently a plot point.

13. Red and Blue

14. Poke Trainer J

Dragon Ball Super has gotten to a point where it's become a half baked production plagued with multiple pre-production issues, an incredibly rushed schedule (which clearly hurt the franchise), inconsistent writing due to lack of organization and resources, recycled concepts to the point of outright beat by beat nostalgia grabs which doesn't even come near Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z, and horrific artwork / animation is all somehow praised because of the disgusting amount of fan service and fan fiction it provided.

Of course we only have ourselves to blame for the success of Dragon Ball here in the West. Why should the corporate talking heads care about artistic integrity at this point when they've already established that an existing fan base will eat up anything with Dragon Ball slapped on it? It's very likely they got their first clue after they churned out all those mediocre Tenkaichi games year after year and were still getting record sales (though to be fair the soundtrack was pretty amazing). Disgusting. Toriyama should be ashamed.

I don't hate Dragon Ball, I just hate what it's become nowadays. We want Dragon Ball to be great again but we just have to accept it and move on to better anime like One-Punch Man where it knows when to quit without becoming a blatant cash grab. We're already past the anger and now it's time to get to the acceptance part of the five stages of grief because we should already be there by now and If you're not there then you just need to accept it. Dragon Ball is currently run by people who have no interest in trying to wrap up the franchise within the small time frame it's set under.

15. CyberBlaziken

16. Gizmoduck

Gizmoduck Burns eternally hot

I grew up so hard with DBZ, as did most teenage boys in the early 2000s, and I still think, in Japanese at least, the original Dragonball and early Z (pre-Freiza) is still rather charming.... but oh man, even giving Super 20 episodes of my time was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.

I have a Myanielist account, and I believe my critique of it was "1/10 isn't enough, isn't there -100/10?"

And yeah, it's really not what I'd call good as an adult now in any real capacity, but I think even as a teen, I would've gotten tired of Super just as quickly because of how fanfic level caliber the writing actually is.

It's rather ironic all those laughably bad fanarts from that timeframe of the 2000s with Dragonball AF, with tons of wacky colored hairs and fusion... now all that is essentially official with Super.

Goku can literally use his hair now to signal if a baby born is a boy or girl; that's the level it's at now.

17. Red and Blue

Final trailer. What's interesting is that Goku tells Broly he isnt a bad guy.

18. CyberBlaziken

Hopefully 3/4 of the movie is just raw fighting between the 4.

19. Poke Trainer J

At this point I hope the new Broly film tanks so hard at the box office that it will finally put an end to this zombie franchise.

20. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

That's a particularly ridiculous thing to "hope" for, to be honest. Maybe take leave of the franchise if it offends you so horribly at this point, rather than hoping for the failure of something that some might just have the audacity to enjoy?