• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Dragon Ball Discussion Thread (Discuss Z/GT/Kai etc. Here!)

Kataphrut

Do people rate the Funimation dub poorly though? I thought it was pretty good.

I sorta grew up with it, barring the Saiyan Saga because I can still remember Ocean's 'the next dimension' line ringing in my ears.

It gets remembered for nostalgia, but hasn't aged well at all. The music is terrible, the VAs are amateur at best and some of the changes actively go against the spirit of the characters. However, the team has gotten a lot better in recent years, and their dub of Kai might be one of the best English dubs of all time, both in terms of acting and faithfulness to the original. It was a meme to compare the original dub Goku to Superman, but these days Sean Schemmel's performance is a lot closer to the original spirit of the Nozawa portrayal while still feeling distinctly him.

The Super dub has been pretty good as well; there are people who skipped the movie recaps arcs in Japanese but watched through them in English because of the cast. However, people have started to notice them taking liberties with the script, and a lot of ad-libs have been getting through. The Magetta thing has made people really sit up and take notice, since they've basically invented a different joke gimmick for him. I don't really have a problem with them doing their own gags myself; One Punch Man showed us directly translating Japanese humour into English does not make for a god dub.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
The episode's summary is out:
Universe 6's linchpin Hit vs the strongest warrior, Jiren!
After finally going into action, the mightiest man Jiren has seriously wounded Goku! Jiren next sets his sights on the strongest assassin, the Universe 6 warrior Hit!
Goku This Week: will he be able to master having his body react on its own?!
Goku has been injured head-to-toe by Jiren's attack! However, immediately before going down, he awakened to a new power called "Mastery of Self-Movement", where his body reacts on its own! What could this be?!

EDIT: New summaries for episodes 111-114: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/74fikl/super_spoiler_megathread_episodes_109114/

Caulifla goes Super Saiyan Berserker as well.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How do you think the teams rank in terms of how effective their leadership is? I feel that Universe 10 had one of if not the worst leaderships when it comes to the divine aspect. Rumsshi had a terrible idea of relying on muscles, not diversifying the team or factoring Gowasu's opinions. Universe 7 is suffering in leadership since no-one is listening to Gohan

BCVM22

Caulifla goes Super Saiyan Berserker as well.

[spoil]Not so sure about that. The summary reads:

"As Universe 6's Kale joins Caulifla to fight Goku, the tension rises as she is overwhelmed by Goku's attacks. She then transforms into a berserker Super Saiyan, but..."

Sounds to me like "she" is Kale and it's just written awkwardly.[/spoil]

Kataphrut

How do you think the teams rank in terms of how effective their leadership is? I feel that Universe 10 had one of if not the worst leaderships when it comes to the divine aspect. Rumsshi had a terrible idea of relying on muscles, not diversifying the team or factoring Gowasu's opinions. Universe 7 is suffering in leadership since no-one is listening to Gohan

As far as leadership goes, 6 has probably had the best showing so far, but mostly on the part of the players because lord knows Champa isn't the charismatic force driving them. Hit's done a good job wrangling his crew and seems to inspire loyalty from most of them. Caulifla seems to adore him and the two hadn't even met prior to the tournament. I think in episode 104 the gods talked about Hit being the team's emotional support, which makes me think of him as their grumpy dad. Which sounds adorable, I want fanart of that.

It's hard to praise Universe 7 for leadership, since they had one strategy which half of them ignored and the other half gave up on after Kale destroyed the ring. It seems to have worked out for them though. Universe 11 is a real stinker, which sucks since they're meant to be all about teamwork. Toppo's grand strategy is to send in all the weaklings to take on opponents way stronger than them, while the two most powerful guys who could end any fight easily in their favour hang back eating popcorn.

As for the rest, points to Ganos in U4 for caring about his comrades even if it didn't help him. Ribrianne had a good start, but should probably be protecting her weaker teammates instead of going after the likes of Goku and 17. I'm interested to see what Universe 3's situation is with Paproni. And while I admit I like Bergamo, Universe 9 and 10 were utter travesties.

Last edited:

phanpycross

God-king
Just gonna say this before the episodes air; the overall reception of the episodes will be negative.

This is clearly not gonna be the climax fight to end the arc, but the point of no return, where Goku and crew realize how much trouble they are in.

I say go into this fight expecting Piccolo vs. 17, not Gohan vs. Cell.

Red and Blue

This may seem off topic, but I'm surprised we haven't gotten a episode focusing on Goten, Trunks, and Marron defending the island from poachers yet.

Red and Blue

So was this the first episode in the tournament without at least one ringout? I find it kind of ironic in a hour long special.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
That was a very underwhelming transformation. I felt like Golden Frieza's transformation from a few months ago was much better looking.

And yay, a cool new insert song! Too bad it and the fight was ruined by everyone flapping their gums instead of showing Goku and Jiren punch each other. You know, the thing I'm supposedly supposed to get hyped for?

...The fight against Ribrianne was much better.

I just don't get why I'm supposed to care about Jiren. He's boring. He has no personality. Give me something to work with so I can give even one iota of a damn.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ribrianne's still in?

F***.

She says her wish is to become a goddess of beauty, instead of try and save the other universes. What a selfish you know what!

As far as leadership goes, 6 has probably had the best showing so far, but mostly on the part of the players because lord knows Champa isn't the charismatic force driving them. Hit's done a good job wrangling his crew and seems to inspire loyalty from most of them. Caulifla seems to adore him and the two hadn't even met prior to the tournament. I think in episode 104 the gods talked about Hit being the team's emotional support, which makes me think of him as their grumpy dad. Which sounds adorable, I want fanart of that.

It's hard to praise Universe 7 for leadership, since they had one strategy which half of them ignored and the other half gave up on after Kale destroyed the ring. It seems to have worked out for them though. Universe 11 is a real stinker, which sucks since they're meant to be all about teamwork. Toppo's grand strategy is to send in all the weaklings to take on opponents way stronger than them, while the two most powerful guys who could end any fight easily in their favour hang back eating popcorn.

As for the rest, points to Ganos in U4 for caring about his comrades even if it didn't help him. Ribrianne had a good start, but should probably be protecting her weaker teammates instead of going after the likes of Goku and 17. I'm interested to see what Universe 3's situation is with Paproni. And while I admit I like Bergamo, Universe 9 and 10 were utter travesties.

Paparoni is apparently controlling the other fighters. Either this is bad management, or he has an agenda to knock out some of his members. I suspect the reason Nigrisshi lost so badly despite being the most modified warrior is because Paparoni has some beef with him and disabled his real power

BCVM22

"Ultra Instinct" seems to be the official name of Goku's new form; specifically, Mastery of Self-Movement (technique) leads to Ultra Instinct (form).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I expected that something would go wrong with the new form, that it would be unstable in some way. While Goku didn't die like I thought, I still expected it not be something he could master straight away as it would make him too powerful too early, and this was the case.

Red and Blue

So people are theorizing that Frieza could be atrempting to heal Goku by giving him some energy. Seems a bit out of character, which I felt was the case when he gave energy for the Spirit Bomb.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
So was this the first episode in the tournament without at least one ringout? I find it kind of ironic in a hour long special.

It's not an hour long, it's just 46 minutes, two episodes of 23 minutes each including openings, endings, and next episode previews. I don't know why everyone calls it one hour when actual episode content is more like 40 minutes.

BCVM22

It's not an hour long, it's just 46 minutes, two episodes of 23 minutes each including openings, endings, and next episode previews. I don't know why everyone calls it one hour when actual episode content is more like 40 minutes.

Because it's unnecessary and almost impossibly pedantic to describe all of that when I think most people know "hour-long" doesn't mean a full 60 minutes of animation?

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Well it was an enjoyable special putting aside the Ribrianne parts but I'll have to admit I was and am still more hyped to see Hit vs Jiren.

Kataphrut

So people are theorizing that Frieza could be atrempting to heal Goku by giving him some energy. Seems a bit out of character, which I felt was the case when he gave energy for the Spirit Bomb.

The fact that Frieza is still so calm despite everything going on is staggering. I have no doubt though he will try to heal Goku though, I think he's smart enough to realise he still needs to win the tournament to accomplish whatever it is he's planning. I'm sure he'll try to hang this over Goku's head though.

Paparoni is apparently controlling the other fighters. Either this is bad management, or he has an agenda to knock out some of his members. I suspect the reason Nigrisshi lost so badly despite being the most modified warrior is because Paparoni has some beef with him and disabled his real power

Where are you getting that from? I know about his controlling, but Universe 3's losses don't mean he's sabotaging them, it just means they're going up against opponents they can't beat. Nigrishhi losing to Cabba is embarrassing, but that says more about the power difference between 3 and 6 as a whole. Their other two losses were to Hit and Jiren, that's not bad leadership, that's just unfair.

EDIT: Oh, and that one guy to Roshi and Tien. Again, he got double-teamed.

Last edited: