• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Dragon Ball Discussion Thread (Discuss Z/GT/Kai etc. Here!)

Poke Trainer J

I don't know If "priceless" was the proper term when it's as If Beerus is telling those who grew up with the English Dub of DBZ that Goku's not the character they think he is and that everything they thought they knew about him was a lie when it's obvious that Toriyama's vision of the character doesn't hold up to the same standard as most Dragon Ball fans are accustomed to unless you grew up watching the Japanese Sub while it was still airing in Japan. This is what happens when a foreign licensing company gets away with trying to westernize a Japanese anime/manga series without the creator's consent as a similar scenario happened with Sailor Moon awhile back due to Naoko Takeuchi's disapproval of the DiC/Cloverway Dub from the 90's which resulted in a long hiatus for someone else to acquire the license in order to match the original Japanese source material.

I honestly don't understand why Japanese authors/creators have a problem with foreign licensing companies trying to westernize their own work even If the demographic they're trying to cater toward isn't the same. Abridged parodies on YouTube I can understand aside from being protected under fair use laws but If it helps make a Japanese anime series more interesting then why not take the risk? This is a part of the reason why most Modern anime series don't hold up to the same standard that anime from the 80's and 90's did where there weren't as many restrictions toward what foreign licensing companies could get away with at the time. I'm not saying all Modern anime is bad, One Punch Man is a good example of this it's just that kind of magic isn't there anymore because anime staff groups don't want to put in the same quality of work they did 20 years ago due to advancements in technology.

BCVM22

You're still writing what amounts to licensing fanfiction and then acting continually amazed when it doesn't work or happen like that.

Kataphrut

I was going to say I don't think the Japanese side really cares about what the old English dub got up to (after all, that kind of meta-commentary wouldn't make sense for their version) but then I realised they're essentially building up to an official Goku vs Superman fight. I mean yeah, this episode confirmed the Pride Troopers are more Super Sentai than the Western model (the poses speak for themselves), but the contrast between them and Goku is remarkable.

They're really hyping up Goku vs Jiren now (yep, the Ultra-Furon has a name). The opening already did a good job of that, but it almost makes me wish they hadn't played their hand so early. With Hit, there was a certain mystery about what made him so formidable, which paid off with his time skip powers. Jiren just looks like he's going to be a straight bruiser, basically a stronger Toppo. I hope there's more to it than that; so far the arc has made SSB look pretty unstoppable, but we've already seen Golden Frieza, Hit, Black and Zamasu capable of challenging it. Simply being strong enough to go toe to toe with SSB Goku isn't actually that special; Jiren will need a hook to make him more interesting, otherwise we'll be left wishing they went with Hit as the main threat again. We won't know until he gets a proper introduction, but I'm pinning hopes on how intense he looks fighting Goku in the intro (who here hasn't watched that opening a millions times btw?) I want them to take the animosity built up by Bergamo and Toppo and run with it. They have to be building to something with the way Goku's been written this arc.

Last edited:

Born Better

God of Lightning
Not sure what the dub has to do with anything considering even the Japanese version supposedly went out of the way to make Goku kid friendly.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
40 hours? That's such a short time, giving this arc either a lower episode count or emphasizing the fights, giving the arc a little more duration. Since it's a battle royal and everyone is most likely gonna target goku from the start, if universe's 7's underwhelming team doesn't win due to underestimation i'll be surprised. yes, vegeta will be kicking some a5s too but i doubt krillin or tien will be able to do much.

I liked the episode but not that it may imply a shorter arc than expected.

Red and Blue

40 hours? That's such a short time, giving this arc either a lower episode count or emphasizing the fights, giving the arc a little more duration. Since it's a battle royal and everyone is most likely gonna target goku from the start, if universe's 7's underwhelming team doesn't win due to underestimation i'll be surprised. yes, vegeta will be kicking some a5s too but i doubt krillin or tien will be able to do much.

I liked the episode but not that it may imply a shorter arc than expected.
Keep in mind all they have to do is simply knock the opponents out of the ring. That much the humans should be capable of.

Animation in this one was pretty smooth, but the artwork was a little awkward at times. Beerus looked like a purple Scooby Doo there at the end, lol.

I'm still just wondering if we're going to have some deeper underlying plot behind this tournament arc. I've seen plenty of theories that there's something devious about the Grand Priest or future Zen-Oh. They've been dropping small hints here and there that something might be awry, so I'm curious to see how that'll play out. Most importantly, I just want to see some great fights in the tournament itself. Hopefully those 48 minutes will be in Frieza time so that we'll be able to get several episodes worth of quality action.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Animation in this one was pretty smooth, but the artwork was a little awkward at times. Beerus looked like a purple Scooby Doo there at the end, lol.

I'm still just wondering if we're going to have some deeper underlying plot behind this tournament arc. I've seen plenty of theories that there's something devious about the Grand Priest or future Zen-Oh. They've been dropping small hints here and there that something might be awry, so I'm curious to see how that'll play out. Most importantly, I just want to see some great fights in the tournament itself. Hopefully those 48 minutes will be in Frieza time so that we'll be able to get several episodes worth of quality action.

I really help we get it. Also, I wonder what'd happen if it ends in a tie

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Goku vs Toppo was excellent. So far I'd rate: Toppo vs Goku>Buu vs Basil> Lavenda vs Gohan > Goku vs Bergamo.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Of the 10 newly introduced Gods of Destruction, which one is your favorite?

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Of the 10 newly introduced Gods of Destruction, which one is your favorite?

edited post: welp, looks like i looked at the wrong image, it wasn't the right one. here's my thoughts.

My favorite is still the most alike beerus, the other cat. I tend to like the feline/canine/avian features the most. universe's 12's fish head guy is also pretty cool. looks the most threatening and the most like what a god of destruction should be.

other than those, and of course beerus and champa, 5's god was the worst, so ugly, eww. clown and kuriboh face are pretty funny. the others are just meh.

the kais look prettyv much the same, my favorite being roh since he's such a douchebag.

As for the angels, 2's reminds me of kibitokai for some reason. he's much like zarborn, the pretty guy. the other one i really liked is mojito, 9's angel. He looks like a guy i would want to hang with. Such a chill look.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Just for a guide of the gods and what I think:
* Universe 1 is one of the top tier universes. Iwen's the destroyer, the one who looks like a Kuriboh. His Kai Anat is the really androgynous looking one, and their angel's the chubby guy. In terms of who's the strongest God of Destruction I used to think it's Iwen because of how Toriyama subverts expectations, but since we have multiverse-busting kids they probably wouldn't need it
* Universe 2 is Helles, the Cleopatra lookalike interested in beauty. Like Universe 11's destroyer both Toyotaro and Toriyama designed her, so I suspect she will be important to the plot. To be honest I thought all the Gods of Destruction would be based around Egyptian lore. Her Kai's some ugly dwarf in contrast and the angel may be the most bishonen one yet. In general, I suspect most gods of destruction are about as strong as their universal counterpart
* Universe 3 has Mosco, the giant robot who beeps like R2-D2. Honestly I consider his design a bit too odd to care much, but that could change. Dig Ea's sunglasses. For some reason their angel is really ugly
* Universe 4 has Quitela, the mouse. I bet you he's the trickster, he just looks the part. Kuru the Kai isn't that good looking, and neither is their angel.
* Regardless of how Universe 5 is one of the golden children, Arak is still UGLY. He looks like a grumpy old man mixed with a lizard. I bet you he's the most competent at his job. We haven't even gotten a good look at his angel. Ogma seems typical of what we expect of the Kais
* Universe 6, I await for what kind of plan they have in store. If Zen'o goes through with the universe erasing, it's going to mean tragedy for Champa. If he wins, he will never see his brother again. I hope it leads him to rethink their relationship
* Universe 7 is odd in the god heirarchy, in that its one of only two to have more than one Supreme Kai. In fact, it used to have five before Buu decided to be Buu. Wonder why that's the case
* Universe 8 has Liquir. I expect some history with Beerus, considering there's both the feline/canine dynamic and that they're neigbhoring universes. Iru has one of my favorite designs of the Kais, and I like the character bio that he's a schemer and long-term planner. I feel he'll be important in a later arc. The angel I don't have anything to say
* Universe 9 has rather interesting gods. I love the idea of a God of Destruction and Kai who are inept. Ro is fun to hate, and I hope he remains a jerk instead of being another Zamasu
* Universe 10 is going to have a lot of explaining to do with both Gowasu botching up Zamasu and through that the Future Zen'o even being in the main timeline. The elephant is a great touch, and it amuses me that their angel is a little girl compared to these old men
* Universe 11's Vermoud was interesting. We expected him to be the bad guy, but I guess we already have at least one main villain. Hopefully he'll be a hot-blooded guy, like a more moral Beerus. And yes, I am on the "Beerus and Champa are immigrants from U11" theory. The angel Kai seems vanilla. Marcarita has a great design and I honestly hope their universes survives
* From the looks of things, Universe 12's Gene seems the strongest of all of them. Of course Sidra could be the strongest but just holds back, but definitely looks tough. Would be amusing to contrast with Zen'o. Ugg I can't take seriously and the angel looks like a cuddly grandma

Kataphrut

I'm looking forward to Whis' cameo in the next season of 'Call the Midwife'.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
this episode can be reduced to 1 word: KAWAII!

and i thought pan's episode was the cutest. Seeing vegeta like that and the moment he holds her was the best part. these break episodes are so amazing.

and yamcha, poor dude. at least tien held his own for a bit against cell 2nd form. yamcha would probably spontaneously combust after witnessing the hugh mongus power gap, falling to the floor in that oh so familiar yamcha pose we love so much.

i'm looking forward the most to 17's recruiting to see how he's been doing all this time.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How horrible does Universe 9 have to be if Universe 7 still ranks above it, and it has 28 planets left with mortal life?!

p96822

Evolve me please
I can't wait to see what Slim buu look like. Also I think Beerus need to be a better God of Destruction so they won't be a low mortal level

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I can't wait to see what Slim buu look like. Also I think Beerus need to be a better God of Destruction so they won't be a low mortal level

I guess Champa finally has something over his brother. If the universes weren't in danger, he'd be gloating about it all the time. As for slim Buu, I think he'll look like Super Buu except with a skinner Fat Buu face and his clothes

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Consistently rolling out great episodes. Goku seemed.. less comical, more wise. Sort of like he's portrayed in the dub.

This actually made me want to watch Dragon Ball's World Tournament Saga again.

The new ending is pretty decent. We're getting Dragon Ball references all around.

Red and Blue

I like how 18 was able to see the cracks in Goku's cover story for the tournament. She knows what's up.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This episode gave me the feels