• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Dragon Ball Discussion Thread (Discuss Z/GT/Kai etc. Here!)

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
So many people here taking the show so seriously. Jeez, it's Dragon Ball, where Yamcha beat an invisible man because Krillin flashed Bulma's tits to Roshi, where Goku dropped his pants in the middle of a World Martial Arts Tournament for the entire audience to see, where one of the greatest gods of the universe is a pervert whose decisions can be swayed simply by offering the groping of a lady, and where one of the most indestructible characters can be beaten by verbal insults. Ribrianne is a parody character, she's a gag, meant to make fun of common magical girl tropes like overlong transformation sequences, getting powerups from love, and so on. She's not meant to be taken so seriously. I don't think I'll ever get what makes Ribrianne so unlikable compared to Toppo. Toppo is also fat, and if you exchange the word 'love' with 'justice' they even have pretty much the same vocabulary. Only Toppo is a lot less funny. They just can't seem to really have fun with the Pride Troopers, the Ginyu Force was funnier in its Sentai parody.

Overall, I liked the episode. They gave Ribrianne a cool goodbye with a final transformation and it was fitting that she was ultimately beaten by the power of love. A bit sad that Rozie's goodbye was so brushed over, but I guess she was just Ribrianne's sidekick anyway. Still feel like they could have done a bit more with her gimmick.

Main reason everybody hates Ribrianne is because she's annoying.I don't mind her "love attacks" as attacks power-ups, but she's too annoying and she got way more screen-time than other fighters and even Tien....I understand U7 fighters getting the most screen-time because they're MCs, but Ribrianne got more screen-time than all of U10,U4 and U2 fighters.That's sad, that one more problem in ToP, uneven screen-time especially on U10 side.Back on track;even though she's parody, I can't stand her attitude, Toppo doesn't have such annoying attitude. Also, there's one guy name Pri-Pri Prisoner from OPM, he's also parody of Sailor Moon, but at least he's no annoying. Yes, it's kinda cringe when they transform, but at least, as I said, he's not annoying.

Red and Blue

With only four universes remaining hopefully U3 finally does something. They're still in a good position since they only lost four fighters.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
With only four universes remaining hopefully U3 finally does something. They're still in a good position since they only lost four fighters.

I still can't believe they're actually doing this well.

Then again their Supreme Kai is playing it smart.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
With still 7 fighters left from U7, i'm convinced the only way any of them will be eliminated (picolo and 18 (maybe 17 too) are the most likely candidates) is for jiren to decide to move his stupid 4ss because the time is almost over and U7 has more fighters than U11. If (i hope not) it ends up being everyone else being eliminated except U11 and the 7 fighters of U7 left, jiren will eliminate with ease picolo, 17 and 18 and he'll proceed to eliminate gohan (and as sad as it makes me), leaving a 3 vs 3 for the final moments, all while toppo fights vegeta and dyspo goes for freeza. How that would develop next i don't know and i hope U7 doesn't get that big of a plot armor but i don't see any other way for U7 to be trimmed down at this point.

Episode 117 was surprisingly good. The contrast between ribrianne's shallow and obnoxiously in everyone's face notion of love and the real thing from 18 was a good motif for the episode. I also liked the attack on titan-esque sequence, really cool. In the end, brianne isn't as shallow as she showed herself to be and recognizes the love that 18 and krillin have for each other. Oh and 17 was great, he's always great.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'd love it if Vegeta was the next one out. It would definitely bring back some tension into the tournament. Maybe his downfall will be failing to achieve the ultra instinct form and get knocked out from it.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I don't think I'll ever get what makes Ribrianne so unlikable compared to Toppo. Toppo is also fat

Ribrianne is a woman, so a lot of the (male) viewers are going to judge her partially based on her physical appearance.

Sure, people seem to find her unlikable mostly because of her personality, but given a lot of the reactions I've seen about when she first transformed, I can't help but think there's a bit of sexism at play here.

But that's just how I see it.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'd love it if Vegeta was the next one out. It would definitely bring back some tension into the tournament. Maybe his downfall will be failing to achieve the ultra instinct form and get knocked out from it.

I want Goku to be knocked out with or before Vegeta, to be honest

I still can't believe they're actually doing this well.

Then again their Supreme Kai is playing it smart.

This is why I think they're going to surprise us as a sleeper hit. Why else keep them around for so long? They have six remaining members, only behind Universe 7 in numbers. And the team with the most numbers is the team who's universe will survive with certainty. I have a theory that they are weak because they are trying to study the rest of the team for their strengths and weaknesses. As such they aren't even trying right now until they know what to do

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Ribrianne is a woman, so a lot of the (male) viewers are going to judge her partially based on her physical appearance.

Sure, people seem to find her unlikable mostly because of her personality, but given a lot of the reactions I've seen about when she first transformed, I can't help but think there's a bit of sexism at play here.

I think that's just so sad. Her being unattractive physically is part of the gag. The entire gag is that she's supposed to parody magical girl characters who usually get more beautiful and more decorations upon transforming, they subvert that expectation by taking her in the opposite direction. And then they add on to that gag by that state being what the folks in Universe 2 consider beautiful, and they parody the genre some more by taking the love-speeches and power-ups when you feel love for and from your allies from magical girl shows and extending them to absurdity. It's no different from Gohan thinking the Great Saiyaman looks cool or Goku not seeing the issue with the fusion dance, while everyone else thinks they look ridiculous.

lolipiece

Staff member
I think that's just so sad. Her being unattractive physically is part of the gag.

I guess a good chunk of the fandom doesn't really care about gags, despite Dragon Ball being gag-heavy from chapter one.

I think people forget the days of Goku literally sending someone to the Moon with no need for breathing.

...Wait. Whatever happened to Monster Carrot after the moon was blown up anyway?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
...Wait. Whatever happened to Monster Carrot after the moon was blown up anyway?

According to Toriyama Monster Carrot and his gang didn't die, they are still floating up in space somewhere. But almost everyone calls bs on that one and just says they died.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think Helles is one of my favorite gods of destruction. Namely because of how level-headed she seems and how well she gets on with her team

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil

I'm pretty sure everyone got annoyed at the Power of Love gimmick pretty early.
I got annoyed specifically when the wand+chant was shown. Hearing that was painful.

potat_lasaro

I'm kind of alive
This is why I think they're going to surprise us as a sleeper hit. Why else keep them around for so long? They have six remaining members, only behind Universe 7 in numbers. And the team with the most numbers is the team who's universe will survive with certainty. I have a theory that they are weak because they are trying to study the rest of the team for their strengths and weaknesses. As such they aren't even trying right now until they know what to do
There's a rumor going around that the 3 robot-like warriors that base Caulifla knocked away from Goku a few episodes ago can actually morph together into a giant mecha of sorts. Plus, there was a little info about Paparoni (the old man with the cane) that his cane sends out electrical signals to the other U3 warriors and controls them. So, a lot believe that U3 will lose those 4 at once, hence why they still have 6. It allows them to lose a lot in one moment.

Though, I would love to see the likes of U3 actually take people out. So far they've been played for laughs with how their team (minus Maji Kayo) has been treated so far in the tournament.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Personally, I was fine with U2's parody of magical girls, but the Tournament of Power played it up a bit too much, so their shtick grew very stale by this last episode. And, considering they weren't very successful despite all the attention and screen time, Ribrianne and her friends came across to me as a bizarro version of the Pilaf Gang, only less endearing because every line was saturated with "love this" or "love that." They did have some legitimately funny moments (the stuff with 17 interrupting their transformations and Ribrianne encountering Jiren come to mind), but I think it worked specifically because it brought U11 into those gags. When it was just U2 and U7, it was more annoying. *shrug*

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Episode 117 was surprisingly good. The contrast between ribrianne's shallow and obnoxiously in everyone's face notion of love and the real thing from 18 was a good motif for the episode. I also liked the attack on titan-esque sequence, really cool. In the end, brianne isn't as shallow as she showed herself to be and recognizes the love that 18 and krillin have for each other. Oh and 17 was great, he's always great.

Yeah, the best part of the episode is definitely the moment when Ribrianne's fake love getting defeated by 18's real love. And when Ribrianne pointed out Krillin's lack of visible nose XD

And I agree that it's nice to see a bit of character development from Ribrianne at the very end.

Also, don't forget 17 & 18's tag team that allows them to bait each of their opponent into attacking each other. Ribrianne's forgettable team mate even gets eliminated because of it lol

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There's a rumor going around that the 3 robot-like warriors that base Caulifla knocked away from Goku a few episodes ago can actually morph together into a giant mecha of sorts. Plus, there was a little info about Paparoni (the old man with the cane) that his cane sends out electrical signals to the other U3 warriors and controls them. So, a lot believe that U3 will lose those 4 at once, hence why they still have 6. It allows them to lose a lot in one moment.

Though, I would love to see the likes of U3 actually take people out. So far they've been played for laughs with how their team (minus Maji Kayo) has been treated so far in the tournament.

I think that Ea and Mosco had numbers in mind with this tournament. That's probably why despite seeming to be out-gunned, they've lasted this long with over half their team compared to all the other universes asides from 7. Who they might tie with number-wise soon. Hmm...if two teams have the same number of fighters left when time runs out, who gets the win?

lolipiece

Staff member
I think that Ea and Mosco had numbers in mind with this tournament. That's probably why despite seeming to be out-gunned, they've lasted this long with over half their team compared to all the other universes asides from 7. Who they might tie with number-wise soon. Hmm...if two teams have the same number of fighters left when time runs out, who gets the win?

Whichever one says "I'm the universal champion!" first gets the victory. can you guess what I'm referencing?

That or rock-paper-scissors