• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Dragon Ball Discussion Thread (Discuss Z/GT/Kai etc. Here!)

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Honestly, I don't think DBS is that great overall. Happy to have new DB content but DBS is just average on a good day for me overall, that being said. I'm glad Gohan got to ring out Kefla, the anime's treatment of him was meh. They hyped up his supposed new form, he gets Ultimate back, goes to the tournament and performs pretty okay but the overall presentation is weak. None of his fights were that good (Obuni, Botamo, etc.) or fleshed out well enough (Namekians, Kochiantor, etc.) and his elimination just sucked (Dyspo sacrifice).

Which is why I'm just loving his thing with Kefla, he talks about how he wants to grow more as a human with his skills than a Saiyan hence his potential unlocked that he got from Elder Kai. He proceeds to have a crazy slugfest with Kefla. Some proper narrative and weigh with some good ole' blood and battle damage complete with a ****-eating grin. He's just enjoying himself for once in a fight since the Buu Saga and not letting his ego get the best of him. This was nice and intense, I'm glad Toyotaro actually put aside his power level nonsense and tried things differently like Toriyama advised him to do his own thing more often. Happy with Gohan this chapter, nice finish.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
What made Original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z special was either completely glossed over or ignored in Dragon Ball Super. Characters used to bust their ass in order to obtain new levels of power where the training was just as much of the franchise as these levels of power were. Now all it takes is for someone to asspull their way out of a situation without any given explanation as to how they did it.

I wouldn't necessarily say this is always true. There were plenty of bullshit powerups even back then, especially if you look closer. Karin's magical potion that makes you stronger in the King Piccolo arc, Guru just making characters stronger by touching them (why didn't he do that on Nail?), training benefits being very inconsistent (like how Yamcha and Krillin gained much more from 1 year training on the lookout than Goku got in 3 years of training there), base-form Vegeta being a bit stronger than Piccolo at the end of the Freeza arc, then after three years of hard training and gaining a new transformation, still being on roughly the same level as Piccolo who didn't get a transformation, general Blue surviving being trapped deep in a collapsing pirate cave while knocked out. There are plenty of examples. The Buu arc is littered with ass pulls with no build up whatsoever, like Old Kai suddenly being able to just give his life to someone else, the Kai earrings suddenly causing fusion (seriously the other Kais never had any accident with that in however millenia?), Vegeta suddenly still having his body in the afterlife, Namekian Dragon Balls suddenly getting a big power boost out of nowhere, Buu suddenly able to absorb people...

Poke Trainer J

Honestly, I don't think DBS is that great overall. Happy to have new DB content but DBS is just average on a good day for me overall, that being said. I'm glad Gohan got to ring out Kefla, the anime's treatment of him was meh. They hyped up his supposed new form, he gets Ultimate back, goes to the tournament and performs pretty okay but the overall presentation is weak. None of his fights were that good (Obuni, Botamo, etc.) or fleshed out well enough (Namekians, Kochiantor, etc.) and his elimination just sucked (Dyspo sacrifice).

Which is why I'm just loving his thing with Kefla, he talks about how he wants to grow more as a human with his skills than a Saiyan hence his potential unlocked that he got from Elder Kai. He proceeds to have a crazy slugfest with Kefla. Some proper narrative and weigh with some good ole' blood and battle damage complete with a ****-eating grin. He's just enjoying himself for once in a fight since the Buu Saga and not letting his ego get the best of him. This was nice and intense, I'm glad Toyotaro actually put aside his power level nonsense and tried things differently like Toriyama advised him to do his own thing more often. Happy with Gohan this chapter, nice finish.
Using the Manga as an excuse to make up for bad writing in the Anime with even worse writing in the Manga solely for fan service instead of presenting an actual narrative or a sense of progression to the franchise is just terrible IMO. Both Toriyama and Toyotaro know that DBS is bad, they're just using the new Broly movie and the Manga to milk that fact because they know the fans will eat it up.

I love the battle choreography in Dragon Ball but not at the expense of blatant fan service solely to sell merchandise when they should be trying to wrap up a franchise that really should've ended a long time ago. The irony is that this whole thing started because Toriyama threw a hissy fit over a live action adaptation of Dragon Ball only to make a worse version of it via Anime/Manga by not being as remotely involved as he was when he was in his prime.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Using the Manga as an excuse to make up for bad writing in the Anime with even worse writing in the Manga solely for fan service instead of presenting an actual narrative or a sense of progression to the franchise is just terrible IMO. Both Toriyama and Toyotaro know that DBS is bad, they're just using the new Broly movie and the Manga to milk that fact because they know the fans will eat it up.
I wouldn't say it to be fanservice, both anime and manga have to follow Toriyama's basic outline at the end of the day so a lot of the same stuff happens. They just go about filling in the gaps differently, I wouldn't call Gohan's win "fanservice" just because he got it like I wouldn't call my boy 17's showings in the anime "fanservice." The DBS manga also has the excuse of being a monthly thing versus the anime and it's larger amount of resources.

It's impossibly hard to keep things clean in a monthly manga versus a weekly serialized manga on top of all the other little projects Toyotaro has to care for an account for while finishing in time for Broly in December. DBS isn't horrid but I'm not looking at it for a well-written and soulful DBZ product. There are an array of issues for it. One key component is how Kale only existed to ride off Broly wank now she's pointless because we have the real Broly now.

I love the battle choreography in Dragon Ball but not at the expense of blatant fan service solely to sell merchandise when they should be trying to wrap up a franchise that really should've ended a long time ago. The irony is that this whole thing started because Toriyama threw a hissy fit over a live action adaptation of Dragon Ball only to make a worse version of it via Anime/Manga by not being as remotely involved as he was when he was in his prime.
Honestly, I get the vibe Toriyama doesn't care that much about DB. Back in the day his editor was on his case for everything. Everybody knows he was writing this series by the seat of his pants and his editor was having none of his nonsense and shut down several of his honestly-dumber ideas. I think DB would have been fine ending with Buu cause now I agree it's getting milked at this point. I don't think Toriyama is that concerned considering his involvement in DBS seemed minimal and I do think his "rage" of DB Evolution was overblown. People think just because Toriyama okays something it's automatically good not realizing that he isn't God makes bad choices all the time.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Now that Broly is canon I wait for the unlicensed Dragonball doujin that ships Broly and Kale.

Red and Blue

Speaking of Broly, you guys think he might survive the film? I could see it happening if Toriyama makes him more sympathetic than in the non canon films.

Plus if he is still popular it might be a smart idea to keep him around like Frieza.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Speaking of Broly, you guys think he might survive the film? I could see it happening if Toriyama makes him more sympathetic than in the non canon films.

Plus if he is still popular it might be a smart idea to keep him around like Frieza.

Given his popularity, I will be surprised if he doesn't appear in any future arc.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Man, DBS is just not that great.

I wish it was better but it's just not a good or well handled DB product. The U6 Saiyans, Trunks Saga and various other parts really could and should have been better.

Red and Blue

So according to various sources looks like Goku and Vegeta will become Gogeta in the Broly film.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Not sure how I feel about that. But I like it more than MUI being used against Broly.

If it does go down that road, I hope there's a change in his appearance.

EDIT : Please age Goten and Trunks somewhat. Please.

Red and Blue

Would be nice if a fusion was allowed to finish off an opponent instead of being undone at the last second.
Not sure how I feel about that. But I like it more than MUI being used against Broly.

If it does go down that road, I hope there's a change in his appearance.

EDIT : Please age Goten and Trunks somewhat. Please.
Unfortunately they're still the same based on several movie posters. We really need that Super timeskip past EoZ.

uber gon

Accept Change
So, the Abridged Cell Arc...... Yeah. Go, Krillin?

Also, apparently Gohan in the Super Manga want to get stronger as a human. How?

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change