• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Eyes on the Future! (896)

Rohanator

think today’s episode really showed us the benefits of double battles in the anime. First of all, since there are no Pokemon switches they can fully devote their time on the one matchup (which normally isn’t possible since battles VERY rarely spread between multiple episodes), in this case we had nearly the entire episode filled with Frogadier + Talonflame VS the two Meowstics, it was very fleshed out and didn’t feel rushed in any way. And unlike with 1v1′s (which can also avoid the time constraint issues), there’s a lot more going on since there’s twice as many Pokemon on the field, and there’s a lot more room for tactics by having the Pokemon help each other out, which Ash’s team displayed immaculately.

Also, in single battles the one to finish the match tends to overshadow the rest of the team (especially in the viewers eyes, with people constantly debating who’s going to “star” in an upcoming battle etc etc), while in doubles you can actually have both Pokemon win as a team and share the glory.

LizardonX

Banned
They used Ash's most boring pokemon in an underwhelming gym battle.

At least they had some dignity and didn't pull out any ******** with frubble armor.

Soniman

Break the Limit
They used Ash's most boring pokemon in an underwhelming gym battle.

At least they had some dignity and didn't pull out any ******** with frubble armor.

For refrence what are Gym battles that you actually throught were really good (not just XY) im genuinley curious

Torpoleon

This gym battle was amazing! The music, the animation, the fights. It was all amazing! Gotta hand it to Masaaki Iwane! He really knows how to make beautifully animated episodes! He should be allowed to animate all gym battles.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Not going to lie. This gym battle reanimated my interests in important 2vs2 (gym)battles. This is actually, what I have wanted since AG came out. Tate&Liza gym battle went over to quickly and Tucker was only really decent to me.

That thing, which I liked most out of the Olympia battle, was the real strategic combinations between Frogadier and Talonflame. Both helping each other to save the others butt.
Action packed battle with many strategic moment in a single 2vs2 with a lenght of about 12-15 minutes.

If they will handle all the future double battles like this, then I am happy about some more (even these shouldn't take one of the later gyms).

Torpoleon

Would also like to point out that we knew of this gym battle since July (technically January, which was when Getta Ban Ban debuted and first showed that Olympia would use 2 Meowstic), so we really had to wait a long time for this match. Judging from a majority of the comments, it seems like this battle was certainly worth the wait!

CupidKirby

Oh wow! Where to begin? I know it was a Frogadier-Talonflame finisher, but to me Ash was the one who starred this gym match. It started out as a one-sided slaughter but he completely and utterly countered everything Olympia could throw at him by the end. What a satisfying victory. We don't get those kinds of matches very often (outside the league). I remember the (not so) good ol' days when Ash would've taken a complete beating the first time, go away to brood and think of a DEM, then utilize it to exhaustion to finally get the badge. Where have the years gone.

Back when XY first released, I was adamant on putting a Meowstic on my team and it never worked out past main game play. I'm very happy to see Meowstic getting such a signal boost this episode.

The only problem I have with the episode was Pikachu timing the future sight attack when Ash asked it to; isn't that technically cheating?

I don't think the use of Pikachu in this episode was cheating. It would've been the exact same thing if Ash had a watch on him and decided to look at it every time Future Sight was set up. He just didn't have one. And it wouldn't have been as epic if he used one. Now if Pikachu were the one to come up with the plan to time the future sight, that would’ve been cheating. But literally all he did was keep time.

Because its the only way that it could have impact.

Not going to care if it evolves against Byrony's Bisharp, not going to care if it evolves against Grovyle/Sceptile, against Tierno. Evolving to save Ash might be expected but not really impactful.

Look at what everyone is saying the battle in of itself was amazing. There will never be any of this type of battle any time soon. Olympia was the BEST way Frogadier could evolve, but....now? I only perceive a lesser quality evolution serving no ultimate purpose then to "state" what we already knew.

Not my fault people don't understand how Pokemon Anime works.

But as I've said, evolving after defeating Meowstic would've just been fine, an ultimate reward, for defeating Meowstic.

But my point for evolving mid battle, was to show the bond between Ash and Frogadier in the only impactful way that it could've happened.

Now we won't get a battle that actually hinges on Ash's participation and winning until Wulfric, and we all can conclude Ash will have Greninja by that point.

Olympia was a very big obstacle to overcome, but they didn't use that to reward Frogadier or to show off the strength between Pokemon and trainer by there being an evolution.

Instead all we got was an amazing double battle, which would've been even more amazing had they not shoved Ash Greninja in my face.

I'd imagine if Frogadier did evolve in that DBZ moment, it wouldn't have had much effect on the battle anyway. They already clinched the victory at that point. So yeah, you're right in that it could've been a reward for winning without interfering with the well-written battle itself.

What isn't well-written is having Olympia foreshadow and hype something then have it happen in the very next episode. That's not how getting people invested in a series works. You say that Greninja is being shoved in your face, and sure a lot of us know about Ash-Greninja already but a large majority do not. Your irritation with Ash-Greninja is clearly marginalized to being something that specifically bothers you rather than a fault with the writing/series. That's not even considering the fact that none of us know exactly how Frogadier is going to evolve and your automatic assumption in that it's going to be meaningless is such an exaggeration of the phrase "jumping the gun" that you started running a week before the race starts.

And besides, if Frogadier did evolve as a reward for beating Olympia, it would've just been proof that he didn't need to evolve in order to win. In terms of the way you claim that an evolution is only meaningful if it plays a vital role in Ash's participation in the league, that would've been an even more meaningless evolution than if he evolved to save Ash or beat a rival or whatever. So I don't know exactly what you're getting at here.

K.N.

Thought I'd be disappointed with another 2v2, but they really used it to their advantage this time. The teamwork aspect of the episode was definitely the best part. Nice break from the norm to have two Pokemon star and they even found a way to make Pikachu relevant without actually having him in the battle.

Also I don't get the complaint with the Greninja foreshadowing somehow automatically meaning it had to happen this episode. If this was a movie or something that would make narrative sense, but since this is a series having stuff not happen until a dozen episodes later or whatever isn't that odd.

AuraKshatriya

Gym Battle was amazing. I half-expected a wave of critiques despite that given how many Serebii users like to do that, but it appears this battle has legitimately unified the fanbase (somehow).

That said, I noticed someone asking what was up with Gojika and Planate at the end. He asks her what she saw regarding the future of Kalos, and she says that she saw a "green fire"; Platane asks if Team Rocket is behind it, though evidently there's more at work than them.

Again great episode but did anyone noticed that the Female Meowstic used 6 moves?
Reflect/Protect,Future sight, Psychic,Thunder wave,Dark pulse and Psyshock.

SceptileTheBanana

DRAGON TAIL!
Is no one going to talk about the fact that female Meowstic used 5 moves in this episode? Psychic, Future Sight, Psyshock, Dark Pulse, and Thunder Wave. Olympia never commanded Meowstic to use Psychic, so I wonder if it is just an inherent ability of Meowstic, but it had the exact same animation and was used to levitate and redirect moves just like the move itself does.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Is no one going to talk about the fact that the female Meowstic used 5 moves?

That was already pointed out multiple times actually... Check this:

The female Meowstic used Thunder Wave, Dark Pulse, Future Sight and Psyshock.

While the male Meowstic used Helping Hand, Light Screen and Psyshock.

Neither of them used Psychic in battle as a move (its like them flying around is not because of the move Psychic, rather their own inert psychic ability which allows them to).

Franckie

I think this is one of the best gym matches Ash has had in a long, long time. This match had tactics, tension, and tenacity. Ash's pokemon seem to be very high-level at this point with how they kept on tanking attacks and only needed a few hits to KO their opponents. The 2on2 match was well-done.

I'm surprised though Olympia allowed Ash to have Pikachu time Future Sight. No matter how you slice it that's involving a third-party in the 2on2 match. I guess it doesn't count. Meh.

On a side note, Ash continues to prove his superiority when compared to his rivals. He bested Olympia while Tierno could not. Usually the writers set someone else up as the "head honcho" to beat at the Pokemon League (i.e. Paul, Gary). In a surprise twist, Ash is the one who is setting the standard for the Kalos Saga, with other trainers like Tierno and Shota doing their utmost to catch up to Ash.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
This is definitely one of the best gym battles ever.

Satoshi come off good countering a trainer that supposedly could predict the future and was very good at double battles, Frogadier and Talonflame got to do stuff, the animation was great and they gave the fight a lot of time so it was long and well done, the only thing that was kinda weird is how the heck did Talonflame and Frogadier take that many hits, the Meowstics either didn't hit that hard or they are defense gods out of nowhere :D.

Creepy lady came off good also, her creepiness made the battle more interesting for some reason.

I hope Noibat gets to do something next gym and no 6th pokemon please, bring the reserves to the league and give the kid a mega, if you are intending to make everyone to look like crap against him and making him look really competent.

It's nice to still have things to look forward in the anime.

Last edited:

nameman

This is definitely one of the best gym battles ever.

Satoshi come off good countering a trainer that supposedly could predict the future and was very good at double battles, Frogadier and Talonflame got to do stuff, the animation was great and they gave the fight a lot of time so it was long and well done, the only thing that was kinda weird is how the heck did Talonflame and Frogadier take that many hits, the Meowstics either didn't hit that hard or they are defense gods out of nowhere :D.

I hope Noibat gets to do something next gym.

Subtle hints to Pokemon Amie + anime's conventions when it comes to bonds. Even that Ash-Greninja hint at the end showed that Talonflame and Frogadier were not going to go down, not going to disappoint Ash.

While I'm at it, I think I should put down my thoughts on the aftermath of this battle. While we think this has been a great battle, one could say this was also a watershed moment for Ash. Before this battle, people were comparing Ash's skill level to his Hoenn self. That he had gotten back to that after the reset that was BW.

His Hoenn self would not have won this match unless Olympia held back.

Olympia wasn't holding back a whit. She was mercilessly slaughtering Ash from the start. Dominating him in a way that he hadn't been before except against Tobias. This is probably the biggest reason why this battle has so much acclaim: Ash felt like an actual underdog for the first time IN YEARS! Its been since his last battle at the Sinnoh League where he was portrayed like this.

BW wasn't a genuine experience as Ash was nerfed and pretty much reset. This left a great deal of bad taste in many people's mouths and created a great deal of cynicism. One of XY's greatest feats has been to build Ash back up to what we know he can be. But today's Gym Battle did more than that.

For the first time in years, even though most of us didn't realize it, it made us believe in our heart of hearts that Ash Ketchum could fulfill his dream.

It was that final sequence with Frogadier trying to block the Male Meowstic's Psyshock despite being paralyzed. Frogadier should have been knocked out there. He was wavering until that final vision of Olympia during the battle. Everything that is Ash was on display in this battle.

Anyone who talks about Ash needing to be replaced is talking BS after this. The Boy and his Mouse still have a lot of life left in them. Today proved it.

TL;DR: Ash is back!

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Watched this episode, twice and wow it did not disappoint. Ash was on point today. I loved the combination moves both used. I really enjoyed that both Frogadier and Talonflame won, there was no KO, to glorify the other over another. Frogadier not evolving here is no big deal. It gives us something to look forward to in the future. Also ha at the people who thought ORAS promotion was gone.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Man I dont think ive seen people's opinons on an epiosde (a BATTLE no less) this unanimous...ever. Like wow it really shows what top quality things Pokemon can achieve if all the stars align just right

nameman

Man I dont think ive seen people's opinons on an epiosde (a BATTLE no less) this unanimous...ever. Like wow it really shows what top quality things Pokemon can achieve if all the stars align just right

Read my TL;DR. It's my best attempt to explain why things are so unanimous.

dman_dustin

I'd imagine if Frogadier did evolve in that DBZ moment, it wouldn't have had much effect on the battle anyway. They already clinched the victory at that point. So yeah, you're right in that it could've been a reward for winning without interfering with the well-written battle itself.
Without altering the last moment or changing some things it would've been impossible for my vision of an evolution to occur, maybe even taking two episodes.

What isn't well-written is having Olympia foreshadow and hype something then have it happen in the very next episode.
That doesn't make any sense unless you really don't care if it wasn't building up to something. I don't remember if I made a volcano analogy here or for my video of this episode, but I said it's like expecting a volcano to erupt, getting ready to watch it erupt and it doesn't erupt and then when you don't care as much it erupts unexpectedly. The foreshadowing didn't have a climax, and when it does climax, it doesn't do anything for you because the build up is loss.

The entire point of the gym battle, it was supposed to be a climax because everything about foreshadowing Ash Greninja was DIRECTLY from Olympia, as I may have said, it would've been better to have a random character after the gym battle to foreshadow it, since the foreshadowing ultimately did nothing for the gym battle.

[quorw]
That's not how getting people invested in a series works.[/quote]But it isn't how you finish off a "series" to move onto the next one. And the type of foreshadowing done here isn't one you wait for a long time for it to happen.

You say that Greninja is being shoved in your face, and sure a lot of us know about Ash-Greninja already but a large majority do not. Your irritation with Ash-Greninja is clearly marginalized to being something that specifically bothers you rather than a fault with the writing/series.

I'll give you an example of good subtle foreshadowing for long distances:

Character- What is Eevee's fairy type eeveelution?
Character with Eevee: Sylveon

10-15 episodes later evolves into Sylveon

Outright obvious and bad foreshadowing:

Character- You're Pokemon is going to evolve really soon
Character with said Pokemon- Fantastic

10-15 episodes later Pokemon evolves

Me: What the hell?

Look I know I'm exaggerating but you don't end a series with foreshadowing that won't happen until the next series and probably 5-10 episodes after making said outright bold statement.

That's not even considering the fact that none of us know exactly how Frogadier is going to evolve and your automatic assumption in that it's going to be meaningless is such an exaggeration of the phrase "jumping the gun" that you started running a week before the race starts.
You are really missing the point. Under the assumption Frogadier evolves before Wulfric, I have thought of EVERY possible evolution that could occur between 2 important gyms, and NOT one of them would even compare to what I envisioned happening in the gym as it would have had its own satisfying climax

But I guess you also forgot to realize that all of this is my opinion so no, it's not a fact that Frogadier's evolution will be meaningless, but it is a fact that it will be meaningless to me. And as a viewer writing my personal opinion, my perception is unfortunately more important than anyone else's as it pertains directly to me. Don't necessarily mean to be selfish but that's how it is.

If you find meaning in Frogadier's evolution, then feel free to make that power your own and enjoy something that I will not likely be able to.

And besides, if Frogadier did evolve as a reward for beating Olympia, it would've just been proof that he didn't need to evolve in order to win. In terms of the way you claim that an evolution is only meaningful if it plays a vital role in Ash's participation in the league, that would've been an even more meaningless evolution than if he evolved to save Ash or beat a rival or whatever. So I don't know exactly what you're getting at here.

Let me copy and post my notes on this subject

Right after defeating Meowstic- This could be considered the least meaningful of the three options in regards to the story, but would have served a different purpose and meaning. By having Frogadier beat Meowstic would've shown that there was no need for it to evolve during the gym battle, but by evolving into Greninja it shows that Frogadier is ready to move forward and follow its new destiny shared with Ash. But now any other time will lead me to think "Oh so now you're ready to evolve *shrug shoulder* *deep sigh*

Yep that's right it sends a different acceptable and meaningful message. It may NOT be as meaningful but it serves its own unique special message.

That Frogadier is ready to take the next step to the next level, which does send its own powerful message. Now I can only look at it like Frogadier as a coward and isn't ready to take the next step to fulfilling its destiny.

And trying to see it from the writer's perspective, they either didn't get permission to evolve it in the gym or they were too afraid to ask.

But here's the ultimate reverse question for you:

Would Ash Greninja's role within the XY&Z series really be reduced (quality and quantity wise) simply because Ash had it before the XY&Z series or is it possible that you could argue having Ash Greninja (or Greninja) be a thing before the XY&Z series would've just ensured focus for the Pokemon?

And to be honest if Ash did have Ash Greninja, then arguably less time would need to be devoted to said Pokemon outside of what Ash Greninja's role is within the XY&Z will be.

Now an episode or two must be devoted for Frogadier evolving and for Ash Greninja which means 1-2 episodes will be wasted on focusing on the wrong Pokemon simply because they are trying to paint "Ash Greninja" as Ash's strongest Kalos Pokemon.

Instead that means LESS time for other Pokemon to develop, like such Pokemon like Noibat, who is likely to evolve in the next episode it receives major focus in it, ultimately doing nothing, but not Frogadier, it gets to have a LOT of episodes devoted to it evolving, and before you argue Ash has had Frogadier longer I'm referring to the episodes devoted to Frogadier/Greninja AFTER Ash caught Noibat. So the pre-gym episode, gym battle, and all the other Frogadier/Greninja episode we'll likely get before Noibat's focus.

The ultimate point of my opinion and it is my opinion will always be: Wasted opportunity for Ash not having Greninja (at the least) at the end of the psychic type gym battle. Serving Frogadier ultimately no purpose outside of completing the gym.

And to reply another way to one of your questions about it wouldn't be good writing for quick foreshawdowing before it happens. Neither is focusing so much on a character and seemingly giving purpose for this foreshadowing, only to ultimately wait until after the fact before it actually happens. Too much focus was given to Frogadier in these two episodes and just to have it NOT evolve, shows how meaningless that focus and attention was, because it was stuff we already knew about, and I'm not talking about Ash Greninja from Coro Coro, most of what we knew could've been inferred from the previous episodes, ultimately outside of "Ash Greninja" they just basically reiterated what we could already infer. Frogadier's bond with Ash, Frogadier's past, the reason why "Froakie" chose Ash over its other trainers, none of that needed so much FOCUS and ATTENTION only for it not lead anywhere.

Alright I'm done. You can respond, but I'm done here, this is ALL I can/want to say about the subject. If you disagree, I'm fine with that, ultimately I don't care. This is my opinion, and you have your own.