• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Roads Lead to the Grand Festival (Multishipping, R)

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
Now For Chapter Number Thirty-Six!

@CB: Good on Sandra to set her mom straight, indeed. If I talked to my mom like she did, I'd probably get slapped. You're also right about how it was not completely successful, but that can change, right?

People liked the Harley/Max reconciliation more than any other part of this chapter, which sort of surprised me when I found that out. It got resolved quickly because the guys realized they overreacted to both situations and made it into more than what it actually was.

Jimmy and Marina's problems are far from over and appear to be (on my radar) to be the most toxic in nature, relationship wise. It will lead to another set of confrontations that might signal the end of one union. Who knows? And finally, Solana and her fellow Rangers sure do have very big goals. The only thing standing in their way might be their ability...and a ticked off Dawn, according to your thoughts. ^__^

Now for the next chapter! Enjoy and be merry!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4127100/36/All_Roads_Lead_to_the_Grand_Festival

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Pokemon, a creation of one Satoshi Tajiri, and is produced domestically (in the United States) by Pokemon USA/The Pokemon Company, and internationally by Shogakukan and OLM. I personally own nothing and make nothing by writing this. Please do not flame.

(Chapter 36- Childhood and How to Turn a Skeptic)

---------

With dinner winding down for the swinging foursome in The Stuff Shop, the focus now turns to dessert. While Conway and Kenny are conservative with their choices as the former partakes in a small slice of cheesecake and the latter decides on a bowl of strawberry ice cream with sprinkles on top, Zoey and Holly treat the unofficial fourth meal just like it is their absolute last. Holly fixed for herself a large sundae with brownies, nuts and drenched in enormous globs of hot fudge and caramel. Zoey has just returned from the buffet with her third helping of peach cobbler. To wash it all down, she also has a glass of chocolate milk.

“Is the dessert good, ladies?” Conway questions.

“Yeah,” Zoey answers. “Why else would I keep coming back?”

“The law of diminishing returns makes me wonder why you haven’t grown tired of having nothing but peach cobbler.”

“I beg your pardon? The law of…what?”

“It’s the law of diminishing returns,” Holly remarks. “It’s more or less a theory that after patronizing a product or service that you initially like a number of times, you slowly begin to like the item in question less and less.” After a few seconds of staring at Holly, the two more experienced swingers collect themselves once more and nod their heads.

Kenny is especially impressed at Holly’s knowledge. In front of all the people in the booth, he elbows his girlfriend and makes the statement, “Who says knowledge isn’t sexy?”

“I sure don’t.”

“Well I can’t take full credit for that,” she admits. “Conway told me about that one day and after giving it a lot of thought, I realized that it makes a heck of a lot of sense.”

“It does, honestly, but for now I want to know something else about you…and what you know.” After taking a swig of her chocolate milk, the teen tomboy asks the older girl next door, “I want to know what moment or moments in your life led you to doing this? We’ve mentioned some reasons in abstract terms, but I really want to find out some specific reasons.”

“I see,” Holly replies while she continues to partake in her mountain of ice cream. “Well, I must tell you, this is where things get…pretty complicated and interesting all at the same time.”

“Holly, I don’t know if you understand it by now,” Kenny interjects, “but the lives which Zoey and I live are the definition of ‘complicated and interesting’. I promise you; whatever it is, we’ve likely heard it before.”

“I hope you’re not embarrassed at this juncture because if you are then I don’t think you’re ready.”

“Oh no. It’s just hard for me to imagine that…it was these small moments in time that caused me to have feelings that have not left me even after more than a decade of living a mostly straight life. I don’t want you to think that I’m ashamed of any of this but I do believe that many things should remain private.”

“That’s your right,” her soon-to-be partner claims.

“Okay Zoey and Kenny. Here goes. It is not unusual for young kids at the grammar school age to have crushes on their teachers. I suppose it did not help that most of my male teachers were older men who often reminded me of my father or grandfather. I’m sorry, but I don’t consider that look a turn on rather that look reminds me of an individual with great wisdom and someone to look up to.

“In any event, I will admit that I never had any crushes on my grade school teachers and this dates all the way back to the third grade. The crushes I did have were on my fellow students. Though they were the epitome of childhood crushes, they formed the basis of feelings that would develop later in life. Zoey and Kenny, do you remember how I told you both that most of my tween years I spent experimenting with kissing…in and out of restrooms and that was the extent of my sex life at the time like many other kids that age?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Well that experimenting almost involved girls as well.” Both Kenny and Zoey look at the oldest of the swingers with little to no surprise on their faces. Their only call is for Holly to define what ‘almost’ means. “The whole thing about me being confused had its real birth occur when I was thirteen years old. It happened when a new kid came to our city in Sinnoh with her family. Compared to my very traditionalist family brought up in a…not-so-strict Jewish and Christian household, she might have been a bad influence to most of us. But she was my age, we hit it off quite well and to tell you the truth, I have never met anyone so confident, charismatic, upstanding, and as good a role model for any girls out there as she was for her age.

“I know I should not throw out this word so cavalierly but ‘radical’ is the word that fits and describes her better than any other word. She wore tie-dye much of the time and dressed quite revolutionary for a young teen. I never personally saw anyone wear dreadlocks until I saw her. Not to sound racist or stereotypical but I’ve always associated that hairstyle with blacks and those living in the Caribbean. She was whiter than I am, though…and she was younger than me!”

“Interesting,” Kenny remarks as his dessert becomes secondary while he hangs onto Holly’s words. “Who was she?”

“Uh,” she hesitates, “that…out of respect for her I will not say her name. She died not too long after I met her.”

“Oh, man,” Zoey laments. “She had to be what? Fourteen years old when she died?”

“Yes. She lived life to the fullest and held to her feelings on certain matters until her death. In any event, for the time I got to know her she taught me so much. I learned how important it is for young people to stand on their feet when needed but at the same time show respect to us all. She didn’t do it in so many words but…the things she did and how she did them made all the difference in my mind. I admired her for her great spirit.

“We went to school together and no more than two weeks into her arrival, I hear the rumors that she played for the other team. Other friends of mine asked me to stay away from her or I might get turned gay myself.”

“Ah, youthful ignorance,” the redheaded teen says facetiously.

“I didn’t talk to her about what my friends said about her because I didn’t want to hurt her feelings but after a while, I really started to wonder if my other friends had a point or not. One day she invited me over for a sleepover and I wondered if and how I would address the matter. When I went there, I met with her parents again. They are great people and I’m happy to call them my friends even after so many years that their only daughter has passed on. That evening her parents left us to just enjoy movies, pizza and sleeping bag talk. After a while…I noticed things turning a corner in terms of the mood.

“The first thing I noticed was the…choice of entertainment. It was not so much that her parents allowed her to pick out ‘R’ rated movies but the types of movies we watched had a certain theme. I didn’t really pay attention until I actually saw the films. The first one was…a bit more light hearted in nature. It was Under the Tuscan Sun.”

“Hmm. Seems light when you think about it,” Kenny interjects. “I remember that movie from not that long ago. Mom and dad saw it together and said that it was good. They also told me that they could have done without the lesbian couple expecting a child.” After shaking his head for a moment, he then makes the claim, “That’s a personal threshold for both of them that I’m sure they did not think they would have to be faced with when they were my age. For obvious reasons their reactions were different compared to someone like me, but I think that if you asked them now, their feelings on the matters might have changed some. Who knows?”

“Well, here’s what I do know,” Holly continues, “even though I only knew her for…a year at the most, she was one of the smartest people I’ve ever met in my life. She knew that if I had any doubts or any questions about her intentions, I wouldn’t bite and would likely turn away from her in disgust.”

“Intentions, Holly?”

“If you haven’t already figured it out,” she answers, “she did have feelings for me and by the end of that night, she admitted just about everything to me. From that…warm up movie, she moved to D.E.B.S. and then she wrapped up the night with Personal Best.”

“Damn! She pulled out all of the stops if that’s the case!”

“Just listen for the rest of the story, Zoey,” Conway cautions the younger girl. As his eyes slowly start to become red, his voice waivers as he says, “You just gotta listen. I know it sounds…unconventional, but there is a lesson to be learned here.”

“By the time we got to the middle of that last film, the question came up. I kept telling her things about what my friends have been saying about her and…it’s interesting that not once did she deny anything to me or say that none of it was true, but I never out and out asked her and she never said ‘no’ to any of my assumptions. So I kept just trying to put together the clues before she told me that she really liked me and thought that I was a sweet girl. She was attracted to me. ‘Very much so’ were her words to describe the feelings.

“She went into these lengthy discussions with me and her ultimate message was that she’s been looking for a girl for a while and that there is no control of the heart. She asked me to consider us being…more than just friends. I made it clear to her that I did not know what to make of it and that I felt kind of scared thinking of her in that light. I asked her for some time to think about making a decision like that, with her and I essentially becoming girlfriends if I did say yes, and she gave me what I wanted.

“Back then, I did not know if I was in love with this girl or not,” admits the young carrot top. “It begs repeating; I admired her. I loved how she showed no fear when our fellow classmates were as cruel as they were during that time. I liked how we both learned from each other and complimented one another. What I grew to learn during our brief time together was that she was very patient with me as far as waiting for an answer to her question from the night of the sleepover. After some time, I finally decided that it was true. I did have feelings for her…but only her. That made questions about my orientation even more convoluted than I once thought. It was my idea that if I learn more about her, we can go from that stage of being more than just friends to whatever we wanted.

“I called her that day and asked her to come to my house so that I could essentially tell her that we could be girlfriends. I wasn’t too keen on the idea of being out and I wanted her to know that in this meeting.” At this moment, Holly finds it difficult to continue with her story. She visibly begins to shake and hang her head low at the upcoming portion of her true tale. “Oh my God.”

“Just tell the story, Holly,” Conway assures his girlfriend. “You can’t blame yourself for this. We’ve talked about it! This is one of the reasons why you were so conflicted, right?”

“I know,” she tearfully replies, “but I never got the chance to tell her. She walked to my house that day and I’ll never forget…the smile on her face. She just lit up our street that sunny day. Things really could have been just perfect that day. And then…I saw her walking across the street so she would be only two blocks away from my home. I faintly heard the sound of some sirens off in the distance, but I didn’t really pay attention to them until I heard a horn blare and then a crash. I saw the girl I felt I loved…flying several feet in the air and then down to the ground with a thud that just…it didn’t look good at all and I screamed louder than I’ve ever done in my life when that getaway car made a sharp turn through our neighborhood to escape the police. Witnesses at the scene say that my friend did not see the car coming until it was too late.

“I ran as quickly as I could to her and got my cell phone to call an ambulance. My folks quickly joined me and we waited for the EMTs to come. She was badly hurt, but had a pulse, which was good news. The ambulance came and we just waited. Mom, dad and a few of my siblings came along with me and we waited and waited. That’s all we could do in that situation.

“At this point, they knew that the two of us, my friend and I, quickly became good friends...but I’m sure they had no idea that we had these other feelings going through our heads. That’s the reason why I was able to get away with bawling my eyes out the entire time. I saw the accident and was…traumatized. Her parents came in after some time and we all prayed for a miracle to happen. I felt good about it for a while because we kept getting good news, but the doctors continued to operate on her and we heard the news quickly begin to get worse. She lost a lot of blood and her heart stopped. Everything went downhill very fast. We prayed so hard that afternoon, but the word came at 5:07 p.m. on June 18, 2005. She died of an abrupt loss of blood to the brain; a hemorrhage. I’m taught not to use this word, but I hate that day and I hate that time so much.

With her voice breaking, Holly makes the conclusion even after all this time to consider what her decision would be. With tears in her eyes, the oldest of the four says, “I was gonna tell her yes that day. I was ready, but I never got the chance. She got snatched from me. It could have been the start of something like…what Kelly has with May and even Ash has with Paul, but…it apparently wasn’t to be.” Pounding the table, she laments, “It’s not ****ing fair! Her parents lost a great, beautiful daughter and…out of my own goddamn selfishness; I think I might have lost at the very least a great friend and at most a partner for life. That’s why I always wonder and ask ‘what if’. That’s the reason I took this on. I had to know if I missed out or not. I don’t know. Excuse me, guys.”

“Sure,” Kenny replies with sadness. “Take your time.”

As Holly leaves to compose herself, Conway takes over the floor in her absence. “That is the story that I heard when she told me that she wanted to swing. There are a couple of other points that should be made. After the girl’s death…Holly distanced herself from the situation and seemed to go in the same path as her peers in being boy crazy and she never showed any further signs of possibly being gay. She even had boyfriends before I came along, but not once did she forget about the young girl who could have become her girlfriend almost six years ago. She wears a black armband on her right forearm in her memory. The girl was also an Academy student who specialized in the training and breeding of flying Pokémon and that’s one of the reasons why Holly has so many flyers in her arsenal. All of that is in her honor.”

“Oh, man. That’s so sad,” Zoey exclaims while trying to keep the tears out of her eyes. “No wonder she was so emotional. If I went through that much with someone at that age only to lose them so…suddenly, I’d probably lose myself in my thoughts as well.”

“Agreed,” Kenny simply answers while attempting to keep his feelings in check as well. “Man, I don’t know. I…that just—I would’ve never known that she even…”

“You never do know, Kenny. We all have very interesting stories to tell if we just listen for them.”

“What about your story, Conway?”

“Well I did promise that I would tell you guys this story,” he informs Zoey, “so here goes. It goes back to when I was just…five years old. It started back in kindergarten when a new student came to class that day. That student’s name was Paul Marin and we as the established students were expected to make his transition to our class a smooth one.

“Back then, you would have thought that the Paul at age five and the Paul from age…all the way up to seventeen were two completely different people. During that time, he was a timid, scared young boy who did not seem to…know his place. He didn’t seem to belong anywhere at all. I can understand it for a new kid to not feel like they belong somewhere, but I’ve seen new kids at every level of schooling and not once did I feel it as strongly as I did here.

“It really showed when he crossed those unspoken barriers of that age and played with girls just as often as he did the guys. Both of the sexes teased him for that tremendously and all of this happened during the first month of him being at our school. I could not count the number of times he would go to the teacher or one of the aides in tears because no one would play with him because he happened to see no problem with both boys and girls doing that.

“After a while, I got really fed up with all the undeserved teasing he got,” Conway continues. “I stood up to my fellow classmates and told them that it wasn’t cool to make fun of Paul. Some of the kids got it, and a few didn’t. That’s the way things are sometimes. When I stood up for him then, Paul wondered why I would defend him like I did. I told him that no matter what they say about you or call you, you do not deserve it. Then he asked me if I wanted to be his friend and I said yes.”

“What kind of things did the kids call him back then?”

“Oh…kids were really starting to learn the buzz words, you know?” he explains to Zoey. “Paul would hear the word ‘***’ on more than a few occasions. I mean, I could go on. You two get the idea, right? They knew the words, but they had no idea what the words meant or the effect that they had on the person they were directed to. The object was to get his goat and they learned these words from their backward parents who were behind the times and apparently could not keep those words to themselves especially with their young kids nearby. Well, in any event Paul and I became friends. We found out that we lived close to one another so we got to see a lot of each other after our time in kindergarten.

“Paul had an interesting household structure. His mother, Vivian, did a lot of work in Veilstone as a major contributor to the civil services. She was a special agent for the local police force in the city. For the time I got to know her, she was really tough. She had to be, though. Her line of work required absolutely nothing less. She could be…really tough on both of them; Paul and his brother, Reggie. When he got teased as a five-year old and cried to his mother…she would barely hug him. I never saw it happen personally, but Paul has told me time and time again that she would hug him and Reggie sometimes…just not all the time. Paul and I can count more hugs that he got from his older brother than from his mom, though.”

“What about his dad? How was he?”

“Sascha? Well, his dad was…I guess the safest word to use is different. He worked quite a bit promoting training to young fans and what not. That’s what both the Marin brothers did during much of the 1990s. He was around a lot during that time, though. He was a cool guy and I always enjoyed spending time with him when he wasn’t traveling. I always got the vibe that his sons also enjoyed being around Sascha more than they did Vivian.

“Not to say that she was mean. She wasn’t. It’s just that she had this…tough love approach that I was not always familiar with. You could say that her way of handling things was like the way Paul used to, but I’ll get to that later. Even on Friday nights, we had no school so we could really sleep in, but I can’t remember a Saturday over at Paul’s where he or I slept over and did not get up any later than eight in the morning. Things were run very uniformly in the house so nothing really stood out. It can be a good thing at times, though. Paul taught me how to be neater and organized by how he took care of his space.

“Here is the…interesting part of the story. We had sleepovers a lot of the time. Just about every night we did that, he would thank me for being a friend. I said it was no problem and I liked being around him a lot. Now, keep in mind that both of us were only five years old at the time these sleepovers happened. Paul always wanted to be around me. He was a very affectionate person during his early years. Everywhere we went during this time; he would have his arm around me and tell people that I was his buddy, and even now, I thought that was cool. Whenever we would see each other, we’d give one another a hug. Hugging led to greeting each other with kisses and keeping each other warm with our covers during the cold winter nights of 1996.

“To me, none of it seemed out of the ordinary. I did it with my folks, Jordan and Seth when he came up. Dad always says that you should give your family your love and I considered Paul right up there with my family. As the months went along, Paul’s words began to get much more serious in nature. He always wanted to make sure that I never…left him and that I’d look out for him when needed. I asked him why he felt as if he needed to know this stuff and he said…his mother was concerned about our closeness and he did not want to lose his only friend.”

“Why was she concerned?” Kenny questions as Holly comes back to the booth. “You guys were just kids!”

“Conway is telling you guys his story, now?”

“Yes, Holly,” Zoey and Kenny answer in unison.

“You okay, babe?”

“I’ll be fine. I promise.”

“Good,” he replies, leaving his girlfriend a quick kiss on the cheek before continuing with his unique tale. “So, like I said, Paul’s mother had some concern about the relationship that her son and I had. I did not understand the fuss and that’s just what I said to Paul and he admitted that he did not like the strict rules of his house. My mom and dad did not really have a problem with us or I guess they didn’t notice anything wrong with it. He…talked about growing up a lot as the winter became spring and the school year came close to wrapping up. He said that the best part will be that he won’t have to follow his mother’s rules ever again. More than anything else at that time, he talked in very abstract terms about leaving—about running away and not coming back.”

“Every plan had you involved with that running away, right?”

“Yeah it did, Zoey. It was…pure bliss. That time is time I cherish like a good friend. I’ll never forget the camaraderie and closeness that the two of us shared…and how painful it ended for us. By the end of it, kindergarten was almost over. One week or so and we would have our graduation. Just before that, Paul told me that he loved me. I did not really think much about it. He told me that he loved me a lot during that school year and I did not catch on to what he really meant until he told me that this feeling was…something different. ‘Different how,’ I asked him? He just said that he gets goose bumps whenever I’m around and that he gets nervous at times, too. I never heard that from him before and it caught me off guard. I wanted to know more and he kept saying something else. ‘I don’t know what else to say,’ were the words.

“Not that long after that, Paul and his family suffered a tragedy. His mother had a massive heart attack. Because of her alleged great fitness regimen, Vivian held on for about two days until she died in her sleep. I was there at the hospital for one hour or so of those two days. Something happened between them during his mother’s last hours. After the bereavement Paul told me that he made a huge mistake and that I was being disgusting for thinking like that because it’s wrong, even if he was the one who instigated much of these emotions in me that I still have.

“We stopped being friends and thoughts of running away with him went just as quickly. He moved with his dad and big brother to a…nicer part of town, though it’s always been my theory that the family wanted to get away from it all. The house had too many memories. Paul became very cold after that time and…took after his late mom, for sure. He had that…you can’t even call it tough love, but he had it and—he later told me after getting himself back in order that his mother saw his feelings and wanted to steer him from those ideas and warned that he would not be respected unless he took power by the horns and…didn’t let things like love or emotion make him into a weakling.

“So the years passed and we grew apart for a while. We…didn’t become friends again until much later, but I always acknowledged that I knew Paul from that time. He all but ignored me during this time and we just went on about our business as Pokémon trainers. We both have had a great deal of success over our careers. Like just about all of us, we’ll hit a rough patch along the way. Paul was no different, but his losing streak from just over a year ago seemed to be compounded internally by the fact that he lived life as a closeted gay teen who attempted to show this macho attitude and have no one ever think of him as being anything less.

“A couple of things happened to him during that period. He got a chance to see Kelly and hear about his first cousin being in a successful relationship with May. That…warmed him up to the idea of doing the same, but it also caused a lot more confliction for him. Paul wanted to take ownership of all of these thoughts and decided he needed that time all to himself to get this done. He took a break from training and went on a…one might say, spiritual journey. He later said he wanted to find peace and know what that was. Whether it was God, love, family, friendship or the like, the one thing Paul wanted above all else was peace. He had not felt it for a long time and wanted to feel it so badly. Also, he was tired. Though he was one of the top trainers of this generation that did not mean anything to him! He was not happy, and he just wanted to be happy.

“He spoke to…some of the finest minds on the subject of what it means to be happy and when we reconciled, he said that of the many things people told him, power was not even among those relevant items that makes an individual happy and gives them peace. What they did mention, in fact, was that a man had to have power…but only over his own actions, which are one of the few things we can naturally control. Paul had to search for his own happiness and he did it. He volunteered himself to the different foundations for the terminally ill at their suggestion and even became a mentor and tutor to young school kids as a means of being charitable in the name of his good fortune compared to those who did not have it as well as he does.”

“What—what about his brother and father during this time?” Zoey wonders. “How did they react to this…change of sorts that he had growing up…to now?”

“They welcomed it…whatever Paul they got, they welcomed with open arms. And of the many people in the world, Paul never turned a blind eye to the concerns of his dad or his brother. I think as long as he was not destructive or overtly violent, he could be okay in their eyes.”

“But you make it sound as if he was depressed during this time and that he, like many others, went through his share of problems,” Kenny extrapolates. “It’s as if his mother putting the fear of eternal wrath upon him while on her deathbed was what it took to make him into this raging megalomaniac and that he just got worn to the cords after living so long like that.”

“That’s a great way to put how life really transpired for Paul,” the older gentleman admits while tending to his glasses. “He just got worn out. The losing streak didn’t help, but that was not the reason. He just had enough of living up to his mother’s standards even if she’s now been dead for more than a decade! So this was a complete transformation and he reached out when it meant the most. He went to Ash, apologized for everything and proved that he changed from the inside out. He even said much of what I’m telling you right now. Somehow, someway they got together and both now mentor young, aspiring trainers while they continue to live their dreams. This time, they are teammates instead of rivals.

“So, that’s why I’m here. Paul…admitted to me at a young age these feelings he had. He got scared for several reasons and regressed into the Paul many of us remember some years back. I thought about it and really loved Paul…but like a brother, you know? I was unsure, but had a backseat to his relationship with Ash and I see how well that has turned out and the great union they share. I wonder if I could have had something just like that and that’s why I’m taking part in swinging.”

“Wow,” Zoey interjects. “Those are two…really unique and powerful stories that you guys have there. I don’t know—I can’t remember hearing anything like that from the other couples we’ve swung with, right Kenny?”

“Nothing even relatively close to things like that. Often times, we get a couple that either wants to do it to please one or the other. Sometimes, one party finds out that the other is gay and wants to try it out like that. Sure we do get stories about discovery and curiosity, but few to none come with the raw psychology and thought process that yours did, Conway and Holly. I’ll be honest, I am guilty of taking a lot of these sessions as nothing more than just sex, but that’s only because I don’t go into them with the idea that I’m gonna find love coming out. ****, I don’t know about you guys but I think I’m ready to ball.”

“Yeah, we filled ourselves with fuel and now it’s time to burn it off like were a bunch of hummers,” the teen tomboy exclaims. “What do you say?”

“Well,” Holly begins, her enthusiasm from earlier returning, “I say let’s go!”

“But…before you two do that,” Kenny warns while reaching into his pockets, “I have a list to give to you two. Just go to the local drugstore and pick up all of those items. That’s part of your requirement while here to buy the condoms, lubricants and what not. Just remember to meet us back in our hotel room 835. Just knock on the door and we’ll start from there. Is that clear?”

“Okay,” Conway answers while skimming through the list. “So the two of us get these items and just go to room 835?”

“That’s it. Now, if you two want to stick around for more dessert, you’re welcome to do so. Otherwise, Kenny and I have to get the hotel room ready for your arrival.” The more experienced of the four get up from the booth of a near empty buffet and bid the novices a temporary farewell until later.

---------

“Solana whenever you’re ready, you may begin,” says one of the referees on the battle floor.

“All right, Plusle. Ready to show these guys that there’s nothing to this?” Her obedient and cheerful electric mouse responds positively to Solana’s idea and she lets the official know that she is ready to go. After a whistle, the clock begins and the Pokémon Ranger starts her two minute appeal. “Plusle, let’s start off with thunder wave and just let it go for now. Don’t stop until I tell you to stop.”

While the appeal takes place, a curious crowd of sorts has gathered to see the moment happen. The union is mostly a homogeneous one as all crowded around a television set backstage are Rangers in the Fiore region…with the exception of one.

“I’ll just be honest,” Dawn mentions to the four Rangers watching the Grand Festival activity, “I don’t like the choice of Plusle from Solana. I’m sure the four of you guys put together could have found another Pokémon for her that was not as limited in terms of its attack ability. Thunder Wave to start off may not be a bad idea. Who knows? I just…would not have gone this route without putting some thought into my decision.”

“Hey, like we said,” Kellyn responds, “don’t worry about Solana. If there is any one of us that can make the best of a not so advantageous situation, it’s her.”

“Guys, hold it,” Spenser interjects. “I think she’s about to make another command.”

“Now, Plusle! Use agility! Calm yourself for what you’re about to do for the crowd.”

Nodding her head for a bit, Dawn admits, “It is good to build anticipation for the appeal. Enough of a build and the judges can even raise the appeal by a point or two.”

“So are you convinced?”

“I did not say that, Jack. I only said that she…kind of grasps the object of an appeal and what you have to do for that. Just because you know that doesn’t make you some sort of master, though. Let’s just watch the end before we declare her champion. I don’t know. Call me old school for thinking like that.”

“All right, Plusle! It’s time to amaze them! Let’s see quick attack and again, don’t stop!” And very quickly, Plusle charges in several different directions as if he were charging for an exit out of the stadium. The addition of agility in order to sweeten the speed of the loveable electric type did nothing but make Solana look really professional in terms of how she chained her attacks together for maximum effect. “Now, I wanna see thunder, but keep the quick attacks coming!”

Suddenly, from up above, it seems to rain bolts of lightning down to the ground. The direct current does not have any effect of Plusle, though. As they come and strike his body, he bounces off said bolts like a pinball and spins around the ring quickly as well. Those watching can only make out a bright orb of light on stage as it moves in different directions. With only a few seconds remaining a final command of swift, which sends several stars in the air and in other areas, puts the finishing touches on the appeal as the whistle sounds to end activity on the field.

Asking Plusle to cease action and return to her, Solana takes a deep breath knowing that by just winging it and having some knowledge of attacks, she has done just what she sought out to do for her squad. Giving Plusle an embrace, she receives the cheers and applause from the crowd and bows to the thousands attending.

While those in the stadium applaud what was a unique, cool and one might argue fun appeal, the Rangers backstage wildly cheer what they rightfully saw as themselves striking it rich through Solana’s work. All four gentlemen talk about what plans they have with their money, even though the official score for the appeal still has not come up.

Still looking at the screen and the older female Ranger is one skeptic who has been turned to the thought of Solana possibly being more than just talk which mostly came from her teammates. While Kellyn, Lunick, Spenser and Jack continue to cheer and chant the name of their comrade, Dawn just looks at Solana on the stage. Slowly, a smile begins to creep onto her face as she realizes that the competition has come with an impact that she has not felt in a while.

‘Enjoy it, Rangers,’ she thinks. ‘Luck always has a way of running out. My hard work won’t fade away, though. Just you wait and see.’

---------

Your Thoughts?

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Sorry I couldn't get to it right away but, I was too lazy to read at first, then I forgot about it.

Yet, again the great Rave The Rich, saddens everyone with his dramatic writing and great storyline....
My eyes teared up a little bit when Holly first explained the death.

Woah. Paul? As in Ash's Paul? cool.
You handled Conway and Paul's story just as well Holly's.

So, the night is about to start.
Considering lemons aren't alloud on Sppf, do you plan on actually writing the sex scene and just posting it on FF.net or just not writing the actual sex scene and just what happens after?

That was a great appeal. You truly have a knack for making appeals and battles! I can't wait for the next chapter.

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
Sorry I couldn't get to it right away but, I was too lazy to read at first, then I forgot about it.

As always, just take your time with my works. This goes with everyone. I'm in no rush to get reviews or feedback. Just go at your own pace and I will do the same.

Yet, again the great Rave The Rich, saddens everyone with his dramatic writing and great storyline....
My eyes teared up a little bit when Holly first explained the death.

The GREAT Rave The Rich? Lol! Don't give me the big head now! Ah, just kidding. Glad you thought so much of Holly's story there. Believe me, you are not alone in those who got teary-eyed because of that scene. I do my best to keep everyone on their toes with this and all other stories.

Woah. Paul? As in Ash's Paul? cool.
You handled Conway and Paul's story just as well Holly's.

Yep. Same Paul. Thanks. Believe it or not, this is my favorite of the two stories from Conway and Holly. I suppose that it has to do with the ending of each one. One had a real ending in a young girl's life and the end of a potentially great relationship between Holly and her friend. The other has Paul coming into his own as an individual, accepting reality and making the best of it. That's the best story that can possibly be told.

So, the night is about to start.
Considering lemons aren't alloud on Sppf, do you plan on actually writing the sex scene and just posting it on FF.net or just not writing the actual sex scene and just what happens after?

Great question. Lemons technically are allowed on the site, just not graphic ones (like this one will be) that tend to be more crude in terms of its content. If you haven't already figured it out, this scene will be written. I will post a link(s) to where the readers can find it. I've seen nothing against doing this in the rules, so I'll do that. Expect it by Christmastime and of course, what happens afterwards.

That was a great appeal. You truly have a knack for making appeals and battles! I can't wait for the next chapter.

Thanks for the comment. There is another appeal on the way (Dawn's) before Sunday comes around and I write out the different battles that will happen as the story (this arc of it) wraps up.

Last edited:

Lord Aggron

Reads too much
It appears I'm a little behind on the story.

As soon as I get my computer priveleges back, I'm going on a reading blitz.

I'm going to read the chapters before you even think them up! Oh, and I may take you up on that wager about the Ravens, but not Redskins...

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
Now For Chapter Number Thirty-Seven!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4127100/37/

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Pokemon, a creation of one Satoshi Tajiri, and is produced domestically (in the United States) by Pokemon USA/The Pokemon Company, and internationally by Shogakukan and OLM. I personally own nothing and make nothing by writing this. Please do not flame.

(Chapter 37- On This Night, I No Longer Fear)

This is not something that he is used to doing. More often than not, he’d just take a stroll down to the nearest clinic and they would always have this item at no cost to the people that needed it. There would be a container of these just off to the side of different pamphlets that give people information on sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV. Indeed, the eighteen-year old never saw the need to buy any condoms while on the road if he could get the same item, just as good and effective, for free to the public. He is not the most sexually charged individual in the world, but understands that even in a legitimate swing club and session such as this with professionals the likes of both Kenny and Zoey, it is better to be safe than sorry.

But never before has Conway gotten the exposure to so many different shapes, sizes, colors and brands such as he’s seeing inside of this drugstore. It’s leaving him most bewildered, causing a mild headache as he just thinks about the various possibilities. Then he comes face to face with the brand that seems to define the product.

“Trojans,” he remarks as a very large portion of the shelves are loaded with the type. Looking at the list one more time, he sees that the list calls for him to get a box of colorful condoms for the encounter, and a number next to the centuries-old contraceptive is a clue for the older male that he’ll need to get at least six for the evening. Why so many given that there are only two boys taking part is something that he’ll have to ask later.

“This is kind of weird shopping for all of this, especially with people nearby,” he whispers as Holly comes from behind and places a few tubes inside the basket Conway is currently carrying in his left hand.

“There’s enough lubrication in there to get a Datsun through a rabbit hole,” she remarks as her boyfriend slowly drops a box of protection into the basket. “I got warming liquid, KY jelly, petroleum jelly and…”

“Whoa, wait a minute. You got petroleum jelly…and I got latex condoms?”

“Yes—oh wait! That doesn’t work, or at least it’s a poor combination to have. I remember you telling me that happened to one of your friends. The condom broke and…”

“They got a nice little, bouncing, bundle of joy nine months later,” Conway adds, concluding the story. “If you’re gonna use anything for lubrication that won’t effect the condom and cause breakage, try Astroglide. I’m surprised that they don’t have that on the list.”

“Okay, but I know that they have petroleum jelly on the list and don’t forget their words, Conway.” Now speaking in a voice similar to her more butch partner, Holly says to him, “You can get whatever you want to get for yourselves, but you better make sure that you get what’s on our list or you won’t enjoy our time nearly as much…and neither will I.”

“Okay then. They’ll get their stuff and we’ll get ours and call it Even Steven.” Leaning in, making sure that no one else in the store hears what he has to say, Conway asks Holly, “You had the pill today, am I right?”

“I swear by it, Connie,” she whispers back to him. “You know that.”

As Holly walks over to another aisle, which includes the bagged snacks, including chips and drinks off to the side in coolers, Conway shakes his head a time or two and contends, “So it’s a crime to know this stuff? I just want to know for sure.”

Turning around before she can make her trek to the other side of the store and the snacks within. “Well, know for sure that I’m not ready and I’ve taken every single precaution to make sure that nothing comes of this other than us having sex. No babies, no illnesses, no nothing. I’ve heard too many sob stories about boyfriends fathering children with other women they swung with or getting an STD from a couple that they thought they could trust. That won’t be us, though. You can count on it.”

Now nodding his head, Conway joins the much taller specimen in a walk through the snack aisle for anything that might curb his midnight cravings during what all four parties expect to be a draining night of love in the physical.

While the pair is in this less controversial aisle, Holly adds to the basket a bag of chips and a container of sour cream dip with chives and guacamole. Despite this being arguably a more popular item of choice, the couple remains alone inside of the store. This gives the male an opportunity to ask is girlfriend about a very sensitive subject.

“Hey, um…I don’t really know how to say this, Holly,” Conway says, still keeping his voice just above a whisper in case someone might overhear what he has on his mind. “I just want to commend you for letting Zoey and Kenny know about what happened with…”

“It’s no problem,” she smiles while the tandem walks in the direction of the registers. “I still have very strong feelings for her after all these years…but she’s gone now, and that’s not something I can control. You know from the story…I saw her die, Conway. That will never leave me as long as I live. No matter how much therapy I go through, no matter the love that I get from people like you. Seeing someone you really love die at the age of fourteen before you even get the chance to tell her…I don’t wish that on my worst enemy. But I want people to know the story and understand that love can happen in many different ways. Not all of them have to be ‘boy meets girl’.”

“So true,” he remarks as they come to the front of the register line and place their items in front of the male cashier. “Are you sure that you’re ready for this? I doubt that once we get up to their hotel room that we’ll be able to exercise the ‘chicken out’ clause.”

“I’m sure, man. Goddamn! How many times are you gonna ask that? I’m saddened by her loss, for sure, but nowhere near the point that I get cold feet about other relationships I’m in. Hell, I’m with you! Shouldn’t that count for something?”

“Well, yeah. You are with me,” Conway affirms. “But compared to your friend, I’m a safe pick. Heck, I’m an unassuming, stereotypical geek type who looks like the only thing he could hurt is an online player’s feelings on XBOX Live.”

While their items get rung up by the cashier, Holly can’t help but giggle at the comment from the teen one year her junior. “You know, with all of these questions you keep asking me about whether or not I’m ready, I’m beginning to wonder the same about you.”

“What, me?” he questions, sort of surprised by such thoughts. “Shoot, I’m ready for this! Are you kidding me? I don’t know where you get an idea that I’m not prepared.”

“Just a thought,” she defends while giving the attendant a note to pay for the goods and getting change in return.

With their items in a bag, they walk out of the pharmacy and see the high-rise hotel off in the distance just a few blocks away from the store; well within walking distance. For some unmentionable reason, as Conway comes face to face with the somewhat humid March air during the evening in Slateport City, he begins to breathe harder and walk more rigidly as if the atmosphere had a greater effect on him than it did his counterpart, who appears to walk at a regular pace along the city sidewalks with a smile on her face. Hiding whatever feelings they might, it is not clear what is really going through her head based on her actions in the calm before the storm.

Conway does not have this same sort of fortune as his legs and his forehead, laced with perspiration, fail him and expose him for the nervous wreck that he truly is. Holly says nothing about this, despite having the best look at the young man in specs. Whether it is to keep his bravado and machismo about him or whatever, nothing much occurs between the two in the way of talk. ‘What in the world have I gotten myself into?’ he wonders as he knows that soon there will truly be no turning back from this night on this night.

---------

Having watched more than his fair share of appeals for the evening, a man of some age and much treachery has grown tired of the practice. Norman, while in bed with his wife, turns in her direction; his eyes somewhat droopy given the mundane activity he’s seen on the screen in recent minutes.

“Carly,” he begins by using the pet name for the woman by his side, “would you mind if I turned this off for the night? I mean, the announcers just said that May is in and will go on tomorrow in the elimination rounds. I don’t have another horse in the race…”

“Yeah, go ahead. I had stopped watching that almost an hour ago, to tell you the truth,” she politely answers as she yawns a bit before Norman actually picks up the television remote to hit the topmost button and turn the receiver off for the evening, leaving only the lamps placed atop two side-table drawers as the only source of illumination in the room, minus a partially covered moon in the sky, which it itself is somewhat blocked off by the hotel blinds.

“You know, it’s interesting,” she mentions half a minute after the television gets its rest for the evening, “You came back to our hotel room after May made her announcement and said that you wanted to…catch the final appeals before going to bed; that you wanted to see if there was any other competition out there that could go up against May on Sunday. You got very close to watching those final appeals before even you had to admit that you needed to call it a night or risk a premature death by way of boredom.

“I had no problem with that; coordinating can be fun when done right, but most of the appeals this evening have been nothing but a rehash of things we saw when we talked about…running off to get married and start our life together. When we were kids, Norman, just like our child today. I know that we agreed in their hotel room that May will become an adult soon and that the decision will ultimately be in her hands. That’s why we made the choice that we made; for her and not ourselves.” Now leaning closer into her spouse, Caroline continues her form of soul-bearing by adding, “But I wanted to know what you really thought about our teenage daughter telling us that she was going to get married to Kelly, a girl we knew was a good friend of hers, but grew to learn was so much more. I never got that in the talk we had. I felt that Kelly and May got more excuses or reasons why getting engaged now is not a good idea more than anything else.

“Norman, it took me some time to get it, but they’re absolutely right,” she admits, now tearing up a little bit. “They can make it work and have handled their love fantastically. And it hasn’t been one big thing as much as it has just been these small things that cause my heart to skip a beat when I see them. I remember just…two weeks ago when Kelly trained May in between her time at the Rustboro Academy and I saw them right before the sun was about to set…and they just gave each other this look after they talked about their battle plans. A few seconds later, they’re both relaxing on one of the couches. Just…it was good to see that little thing happen, especially in young love and especially in today’s world with so much…against them. They get it, Norman, I almost felt like I should be asking them at times about how to keep a relationship going even if I’ve done it for almost twenty-five years.

“Anyway, that’s how I felt about it. I just wasn’t sure about what you felt.”

Apparently, given that there is enough light in the room and that one can effectively read the face of another person that Caroline has known for well for multiple decades, it would appear that she has gotten him on something deep down within that he doesn’t want to let out to the surface. Given how well he has been read, though, it looks as if the father of two has no other choice but to be honest like Abe and let her wife know how he really feels about her daughter planning to get married at such a young age. Shaking his head slightly from left to right and vice versa, his real opinion is heard in the words, “I am not completely behind it, to be honest.”

“Norman!” she exclaims.

“Don’t get me wrong, Caroline! I love Kelly and think that she is great for May. I just wish that all of this got handled differently than it did. I felt a lot of…deceit going on in this entire process. May went to my mom and dad long before she even told me that she had a girlfriend who is a university professor! That didn’t matter to me, or even the fact that I now have not one but two gay children. No, my biggest problem with it all was the fact that…I learned about this for a fact and from her lips one month ago, even though I knew of it for a year because of what you told me.

“But everyone around me, Caroline, knew and apparently gave their approval and their blessing before me! She came to my parents—her grandparents before she came to me and said this. I embraced her while she continues on the road she’s traveling on in this journey, Caroline,” he proudly states while clenching one of his hands into a balled fist. “She is my pride, along with Max. And I felt hurt that she apparently didn’t let me in and see the…beautiful thing that I see today and am coming around to more and more.” Now with both fists clutched and at his sides while he is in bed, Norman suddenly gets out so he can get to his phone, which is located in his pants that he wore on this day.

“What are you doing?”

Not answering his wife, he opens the cellular phone and begins to press a couple of numbers leading to the list of speed dials. After pressing two more buttons on the phone, he waits for a dial tone, which arrives at the same time he lets the woman in the bed know, “I’m looking for some answers to my questions. May proposed to Kelly using the ring that my dad bought to propose to my mother. If they were gonna do that and actually give May the ring, then that means they had to know about this long before I did and had to have like what they saw. I just wonder why they didn’t come to me and say a word about what was going on then.”

“Norman, don’t you think you might be blowing this a little out of proportion and making a mountain out of a molehill, as well?”

“I just want some answers,” he contends. “I’m not gonna snap at anyone or yell. I just need to know what’s up.”

Just as he says this, a voice on the other end naturally asks, “Hello?”

Immediately recognizing the voice, Norman says, “Hi, mom. It’s me, Norman.”

“Well hello, son,” Katherine Maple replies in the same tone as her son before her. “Is everything going well over there in Slateport?”

“Oh yeah. Caroline and I were about to turn in for the night and I wanted to just say goodnight…”

“Oh, certainly not for me, you aren’t,” she smiles and laughs while on the other line and sitting inside a café in Cape Town, South Africa. “It’s right around 3:30 in the afternoon here and your father and I decided to sample the local fare and then cruise the city until it gets dark.”

“Well, that explains it. The time is 10:30 at night back here in Hoenn.” Having got the small talk out of the way, Norman now seeks to get to the important items of note. “Uhh…there is a reason I wanted to call you. Is dad nearby?”

“Yes,” Katherine answers while looking in Maurice’s general direction.

“Could I—if it’s possible, could I speak to the two of you on speakerphone and talk to you about something that happened earlier this evening?”

“What about?”

“Uh…I don’t know if you know this or not, but May came to me and said that she proposed to her girlfriend Kelly this evening…and that you and dad provided her the ring.”

“Oh,” is the only thing that comes out of Katherine’s mouth before she leans over to Norman’s dad and whispers something in his ear, which causes his eyebrows to rise suddenly. While all this happens, the Maple matriarch presses the button on her cellular and switches to a speakerphone option.

“Hello? Mom?” Norman asks, hoping for an answer from either his mom or dad on the situation that took place earlier in the evening.

“Son, it’s me,” Maurice interjects, no longer keeping Norman in the dark about the call he just made.

“Dad, hi,” he responds to the sound of the voice. “I’m guessing that mom told you over that time that I was waiting for an answer, right?”

“Yeah, and you had every right to know what was going on…”

“Then why not say anything to me, dad?”

“Because your daughter told me not to, son!” he replies matter-of-factly. With confidence in his words and a desire to set things straight in his mind, Maurice makes it clear, “I respect the wishes of May. No, she is not an adult and yes, you hold a good deal of her major responsibilities, but I do think that she is capable of making this very adult decision. She came to me in confidence a while back when she and Kelly just got together during the 2008 holidays and told me that she had a great feeling deep inside her that the girl was the one for her. We talked a lot about heart and what the heart says and she expressed these feelings.”

“You supported her?”

“Like she was my own, Norman. That’s why I didn’t say anything because if any news about her and her love life was gonna come out, no pun intended, she wanted to control it and she couldn’t do that if I was trusted to be the gatekeeper for a lot of these feelings for a little over a year, yet behind her back, I give you the play-by-play. That doesn’t work and doesn’t build any sort of trust, son, and that’s why you heard her say that she loved Kelly a month ago and heard about the proposal tonight. Yes, she has a confident, brave and upstanding younger brother who did the same, but each man, woman and child who decides to come out has to go at their own pace. Obviously, for some reason, May did not want to let you or her mother know about this and kept it together for as long as she did. But do you have any idea why this was the case and why she kept this secret for this length of time? Can you even make an educated guess on the matter, son?”

“I don’t,” Norman begins far too early. Taking his time, he regroups his words and answers the last thing his dad referred to; why May would keep such news from her folks for so long. “I don’t have an answer for that, dad. Here I am…thinking that as father, I could get all the answers by allowing the line of communication between me and my kids to be open for things like this to be discussed and for us to better understand one another.”

“There’s still time for that,” Maurice assures his son, “and I’m sure you wish that things would not be going this quickly for you.”

“Of course, dad! I mean, it seems so out of the blue; May is doing this almost like she has no choice in the matter. Like this is a shotgun wedding proposal, you know? It’s all occurred so quickly, I, as an old and wise guy in her eyes, am not able to keep up with her pace.”

“Sometimes, a thing like love can overcome time.” After a statement that had cryptic undertones within it, the older gentleman in South Africa smirks a bit before saying, to his scion, “But you know exactly what I’m talking about, right Norman? Like father, like daughter. Nothing could be closer to the truth.”

He had to know that his dad would bring it up. Much like his daughter has found love at a very young age, he did the same in the one Norman calls ‘Carly’. He can hear his heartbeat louder and louder as his father on the other end of the line makes it be known once more of the situation he charged into while in his early twenties.

And then, for a fleeting second, he thinks how interesting a subject like history can be when one’s mind is put into it and unable to get out. It is true; the subject has repeated and the cycle continues onward for now with no end in sight, until another generation comes along to take their place.

“Are we making sense now, Norman?” his mother questions after silence sounds like his special of the moment. “There is no denying who your children are, son, because they take after their father. That’s not a bad thing, and after learning more about your wife and seeing you actually grow up, I figured that out. I’m sure you called wanting to know why in the world your daughter would go behind your back and come to us in the way she did, but the fact is that you knew the answer all along. Hell, son, you lived through your answer!”

“I’m not mad at you anymore for going behind my back and marrying Caroline,” Maurice adds. “I stopped that feeling a long time ago. There’s nothing for me to feel bad about; my son defied me, but I knew that that day would come. It’s unavoidable just like trying to stop May from doing what she’s gonna do. You can’t keep her as your little girl forever, Norman; no matter how much you want that fairy tale to come true. As painful and as hurtful an experience it is, she’ll defy you—no. I think based on your tone, she’s already defied you. Right?”

“Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say ‘defied’ as much as she just took matters into her own hands…”

“All right. I sort of buy that, but no matter how you might try to dress the situation, the idea is the same. She’s gone against your word and it sucks. It feels like she’s spitting right in your face, but truth be told, it will be the best thing for her in the end because she gets to do it on her terms. Your only daughter is gonna get married soon. While it’s a happy time for you two…I can’t help but feel that this is a very sad day as well, Norman. I know from experience. You have doubts about her decision and aren’t sure if she’s making the right one. You don’t know if things will go the way you would want them to for May. You know what that’s called, Norman?”

“What is it called, sir?”

“Being a damn good father,” he answers. “It’s okay to be scared, to think and walk in that company of skeptics and cynics. I was part of it…”

“And so was I,” Katherine admits.

“But we knew that if we did our job as parents, our children would find their way. Your kid has to grow up, eventually, and the fact is…that’s the best part of being a parent overall; watching them from the time you held them in your hands through all the growth spurts, firsts of everything up to now…where you’ll be giving her away very soon. But that’s okay. She is giving herself away to a quality girl if I ever saw one in Kelly Marin. What more could you ask for in a young woman with such passion and determination in her work as her? And Norman, she has goals that she’s gonna set very soon! She will be a doctor in just six more months! What father would not want that for his only girl? If you love something or someone enough, you will let them go. You get that, right?”

He’s shaking, much like that night about a month ago when he saw it with his own two eyes. ‘It’ was love, he knew that on Valentine’s Night that his daughter found it and it was real. Nothing showy or ultimately defining convinced him of this truth, but a simple moment between two people in love sealed the deal and turned on the light in his head. Through talking the situation over with his loving wife and the two teens, he got an even greater understanding of his daughter and himself; the concern reigned as king in his mind, though he went through this same process with his only son and came out the better for it.

Now, in a different conversation, he gets word from a most reliable source that he has absolutely nothing to worry about, provided that he did the right things for those who depended on him. Nevertheless, he will continue to show concern like a good father should; just like his father did for him.

The tears have long since been there, just waiting to flow from the ducts of the conflicted parent. Caroline has asked the man time and time again what his mother and father are telling him, yet he just keeps shaking his head and looking up to the ceiling above. With his voice choppy like ocean waves against New England shore, he says to his parents, scared like a lost boy, “I get it, dad. That doesn’t mean I have to like it, though.”

“No one said you would, Norman,” Katherine contends. “This is tough, I know, and a great part of me wants to just wrap you in your arms and tell you that everything will be fine…but that’s what you have Caroline for now, I suppose.” She ends her small response sounding a little downtrodden, but keeps it together for her son and in front of the public restaurant where she and Maurice are enjoying their meal.

“So are you okay?” Norman’s dad asks him, but the only call back he gets includes what sounds like loud crying or bawling on the other end of the line.

Afterwards, about ten or fifteen seconds later, Maurice and Katherine hear the sound of their son screaming the words “I love you, May,” and “I’m behind you one hundred percent,” and “I’m sorry I ever doubted you.” Though his folks can’t see it, he’s quite emotional, with his head down on the carpet and the tears continuing to arrive at the pace of a bullet train.

Picking up his cell phone while embracing the man in her arms, Caroline speaks into the receiver, “Hey, this is Caroline. Uh…what did you just say to Norman? He’s here on the floor just…it’s like he’s lost it. He’s…wailing here on the hotel floor and saying how much he supports May.”

“No, Caroline,” Maurice smiles from the other end. “If I’m not mistaken, I really think you’re seeing him at his absolute best. He’s just letting go. It’s hard for him, as it will be for you, but he has to do this to find…his real reward as a parent. I’m sure he’ll speak to me later. For now, my wife and I should be going. This is your time with him. Ask him…what he thinks about his daughter’s plans now and you just might get a different answer.”

“Take care, Caroline.”

“Okay, Katherine and Maurice. Good day to you,” she speaks while holding and rocking her husband much like that aforementioned February 14th evening. Hanging up the cell phone, she leads her spouse back to the bed, her mission to find out exactly what occurred over the phone.

Pleading with her husband to take some deep breaths and regain his composure, the question gets posed to Norman about what caused him to cry as much as he has in the last few minutes. To this, he makes the case that, “We’ve lost her, Carly. Don’t you know how sad that is that our daughter is no longer gonna be ‘our little girl’? I mean, she’ll always be ours, but…before we even know it; she will be someone else’s. That and me not understanding that May has to go at her own pace made me apprehensive to her proposal…but not anymore, Caroline. I just…I love her,” he admits, his voice breaking yet again. “I have to do right by May, and this is something I wasn’t quite ready to accept, until now. That’s why I’m…bawling my eyes out because things will never be the same. This night changes everything. I can accept it, or miss out.” Finally, as it almost seems like it’s been forever since Caroline has seen it, a smile actually appears on the face of her significant other. “What do you think I’m gonna do?”

Returning the gesture, she knows the answer and gives Norman his bone. “Be the best dad you can be,” with this answer sealed with a kiss and embrace from the fairer party, the deal is done; set in stone, one might say.

The fear has not departed and may never for what lies ahead for their daughter and even their son, but from this evening forward, the pair refuses to put their faith in such concern.

Their children aren’t doing it and it has gotten both of them, especially May, to this important point in her life.

---------

“All right, ladies and gentlemen!” says a microphone-wielder coming up onto the stage with the overhead lights of the stadium illuminating him and all that is around him to the point that one might think it is the daytime upon first glance. Walking up to the Pokémon Ranger, Robert reminds the crowd “That was Solana Roubanis; the second to last coordinator to make her mark in appeals. I must say, you are a face that I have not seen much around contest houses and the like.”

“Well, I’m not a coordinator by trade, Robert,” she answers, a bit shakily due to some microphone and stage fright. “My fellow Rangers and I are here in a…collective effort to take the Ribbon Cup and represent the order. This is actually my first appeal.”

A few ‘oohs’ and ‘boos’ are heard from the massive crowd, depending on where people stand on the idea of people walking on in coordinating competitions. Robert seems to take the entire moment in stride by making the comment to the judges, “Did you hear that? It’s her very first appeal…ever! Do me a favor; don’t go easy on her…at all.” This elicits a lot of laughter from both sides. So much of it that many of them don’t hear the former Grand Festival Champion say, “Contesta, your thoughts?”

“Well, that’s quite an effort for a first appeal. You seem to have a great handle on…attack combinations and you do it quite well with a Pokémon not really known for doing great in attacks. Very good job and you and the Rangers should be proud of what happens.”

“Shockingly…remarkable!” Suziko then adds.

Then, Slateport’s Nurse Joy continues down the line, explaining, “I really think you did all that you could with Plusle there. The fact that you don’t have many technical machines to use for that Pokémon makes this even more impressive. The more difficult the routine, even if it’s not done perfectly will always get a high mark in my mind.”

Solana just smiles and nods in the face of the criticism, though she feels better as she goes down the line, getting nothing but compliments from the judges, like the Joy of Littleroot Town, who liked the electric show and how Plusle looked like a pinball going through the motions.

Finally, the thoughts of Ever Grande’s Joy surface. “I think you might have a future in coordinating…if you’re serious about it and want to pursue it. Like my other colleagues have said, you had great command of your stuff out there. You didn’t panic when the clock came down and time started to run out and you kept it cool. By doing that, your Plusle kept it cool, too, and for a first effort, it should be commended and will be once you look at the score.”

“Okay, so far so good as far as comments and thoughts on your appeal from the people that mean the most.” Robert now turns back in the direction of the Ranger, dressed in her uniform for the Grand Festival in order to get her thoughts. “So you aren’t a coordinator. Why are you here exactly? Could it be the fact that this competition gives three and a half million dollars in cash and prizes to the victor?”

Leaning in to make the point clear, Solana answers, “You bet. That’s exactly why I’m here with my teammates. I’m not the greatest expert on appeals, so…please don’t ask me where that came from. It really doesn’t matter to me so long as I impress and increase my wealth through it.”

Slowly bringing his microphone back near him, Robert now must contend with some of the jeers that Solana is now receiving from this very pro-coordinating crowd. “Okay,” he begins. “That is her opinion, but truth be told, it doesn’t matter one bit.” That statement causes the stadium to erupt into cheers, but like a professional, the coordinator ignores them and moves on with his build-up, adding, “those five judges over there are the ones who hold your fate. They are charged to be objective in their work, and I’m sure they’ve never been tested quite like this from a real outsider attempting to join the top sixteen with what many argue was a nice appeal. But is it enough? You need at least a forty-four to advance to tomorrow’s round, so…up in the booth? What’s the score?”

Only scant seconds pass before the big revelation arrives. Solana did more than what she had to in order to make it to the next round by getting a score of forty-five, putting her in eleventh place amongst all contestants and guaranteeing herself a spot in tomorrow’s elimination rounds. Among the individual scores came nines across the board from all five judges, realizing that despite her feelings about the sport that they love and judge on a regular basis, she did a job worthy of high praise and an equally high score.

“A forty-five and every judge seems like they are giving you an ‘A’ for effort in this one as Solana is on cloud nine, I’m sure?”

“Oh yeah, Rob, but if you think I feel good about this, then my team must be ecstatic right now.”

“Well, now is the time you can head to the back, celebrate with them and prepare for tomorrow.” Shaking the hand of the young ranger, he says, “Good job to you and good luck! That was Solana Roubanis, folks!”

While quickly dashing to the back, she gets her fair share of booing from the crowd, but she could care less about the crowd and their feelings as she has made good on her promise to deliver a high return on the thousand-dollar investments of Kellyn, Jack, Spencer and Lunick. She came to Slateport with a goal, and she has accomplished that goal, even if it would be nice to get that grand prize.

Heading back behind the curtain, her teammates engulf her into a massive group embrace. None of this surprises Solana in the least bit as the boys show their appreciation for her work and for the fact that none of them wasted their thousand dollars on a real gamble.

All the praise goes on for about a minute until a girl off to the side says the name, “Solana!” very loudly, getting the attention of this fantasy five. The voice belong to Dawn, who might as well have the nickname ‘stone face’ as that is exactly how she looks right now as she walks toward the lone female Ranger. The comrades pay close attention to this exchange as the two ladies now stand face to face with one another.

The tension is most clichéd, but after a while the matter cools down and the right hand of the second-generation coordinator gets extended to meet the self-proclaimed amateur. “Good job,” the more experienced of the two admits, though a smile does not crack the façade. “I would have never known.”

“Thank you,” Solana answers, bringing out her own hand and shaking Dawn’s. While their disagreements as far as competition, battling and the science of appeals will continue, the two can put that aside and recognize good coordinating on the part of the older one.

“All right, that’s fine with me,” Kellyn remarks, “but I think it’s time we celebrate our comrade’s incredible score!” With his right arm high in the air, he declares “Drinks on me! How about it?” The other four Rangers agree with it and leave the backstage area to head over to a local bar or tavern and properly dedicate this good night for them all.

Dawn, who is the last coordinator left before the elimination rounds, gets her mind back where it’s supposed to be for her appeal. ‘Stay focused, Dawn. Stay focused, girl.’

“Berlitz,” gets her out of her current mode and turns her attention back to the director on the headset. “You’re on in five minutes. We’re currently in commercial break. We’re gonna then run a tease package for your appeal and then, I’ll count down to your introduction. You understand?”

“Yes, sir, and thank you.”

“Are you feeling all right, Dawn?” Usually, the director for Hoenn region Grand Festivals, an older man in his early 50s who’s been doing his job without fail for over twenty years, does not often talk to coordinators unless they are being given instructions for television like right now. This is clearly a great exception to the unwritten rule of professionalism in this region’s coordinating broadcasts.

“Oh, I’m fine. Thanks Rick,” she says, giving the common answer to such an inquiry. “I’m here, aren’t I?” After posing that question to the director, he just shrugs his shoulders and wishes that Dawn has a great appeal while speaking back to his team in the production trucks, barking out instructions in a way that would put auctioneers to shame.

---------

Your Thoughts?

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Wow, great job again.

I can't help but laugh at what's going through the cashiers mind as he's checking Holly and Conway out.
Hopefully, Conway can get over his jitters.
I was kinda expecting him to get nervous though.

I don't know how you do it, but you are really, really good at those emotional scenes.
It just leaves me wide mouth sometimes...

So Salona made it through.
It's nice to see her and Dawn can overcome their differances.
It's also pretty funny how Solona couldn't give a monkey's a** about what the crowd thinks of her.

Anyway, this was yet again, a great chapter!
Can't wait for the next update!

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
Now For Chapter Number Thirty-Eight!

@CB: I could imagine that cashier wondering what the heck Conway is so nervous about, thinking that he gets to score with Holly for the first time, but I, as cashier, would be dead wrong. Something will have to force Conway out of his jitters and I think I know what it will take.

The scene with Norman had me actually crying when I read it straight through. The fact is that he has turned a corner in the relationship with his daughter for the better, expecting that this will happen and accepting it for what it is.

Yep, Solana really gets it and in the chapter after this one, (coming VERY soon), you'll see that.

Enough about that, here's chapter 38!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4127100/38/All_Roads_Lead_to_the_Grand_Festival

(Chapter 38- The Beginning of ‘Escapades’)

---------

Several stops have to be made for Conway and Holly to make their way to the eighth floor of the Slateport Milton hotel where Kenny and Zoey are waiting for them to get the party started. Most of the lubricants, contraceptives and other items for play are out of sight, so nobody questions why they look so nervous as if they were not going up, but rather taking the elevator down…way down.

The ding reverberates through the cramped space that is the elevator and soon afterwards, the couple is one step closer to their ultimate destination; room 835. While there, they run into another group of people that have come out of an elevator from across the floor. They are individuals that the Sinnoh trainers know quite well.

“Harley, Max…” says Holly.

“Brock, Lucy…” says Conway.

“What are you guys doing here?” they say in unison.

“We need to talk to Kenny,” Harley answers for the group while one of his hands is cramped up like it’s in a fist.

Not noticing the fact that the tall male has his hands positioned like a fist, Holly says, “Oh, that’s interesting. Kenny really didn’t talk about expecting any company tonight. We were just gonna meet him and Zoey for the night.”

“What?”

“It—it’s a long story, really,” her boyfriend speaks as a way of changing the subject which would without a doubt lead to some awkward conversation. “We just have to see them like you did. Uh—wait. Did you have any prior plans for tonight with Kenny or did something just come up between the four of you that you have to work out right now?”

“The latter, Conway. I have to make my way over to his hotel room and ask him a few questions and then, I’m turning in for the night.” Throughout this speech, Harley’s stone face does not change at all and after these words, Holly notices this and feels that there are no good intentions in his plans at all.

“Uh, let us come with you, Harley,” she asks of the older coordinator in light of this intuition within her. Holly continues, “Maybe we can help you with something if you need it. That’s as far as Kenny is concerned, mind you.”

Slightly rolling his eyes in a deft manner, Harley shows his peers the frustration within him as he cannot get to his enemy when he wants to. “Whatever floats your boat, Holly, you and Conway can come along. It doesn’t matter to me that much. Now, Max, where did you say that his room is?”

“835, sweetheart,” he tells the older male. “That’s where he is.”

“Now that’s what I care about. Let’s go.”

“Harley, just…” Brock blurts out to restore some amount of order to a very ticked off lover’s desires to get even. While the group of six walk in the direction of room 835, as per the instructions given to the leader, the Pokémon breeder finds the words he was likely looking for when he addressed Harley. “Don’t do any stupid stuff, okay? There might be more to this than you or I know about. There just might be a reason for all of this that we aren’t getting or haven’t gotten. Hell, it might be a damn mistake! We don’t know—you don’t know this because you haven’t spoken to Kenny since this kiss!”

“If that’s the case, Brockton,” Harley charges, “then he won’t mind explaining himself and his actions to all of us. And if that son of a ***** wants to play hard to get, then I’ll beat it out of him. Either way, I will damn sure get mine.”

Sighing as he knows that they are getting closer and closer to the room, Max has to admit that he does not have nearly the kind of enthusiasm for ‘getting even’ that his boyfriend does. The one important thing to him as far as this entire fiasco is concerned is the fact that he has his love back and they are on at least good terms. Max would like nothing more than for Kenny to just explain himself and be done with the entire incident so that all sides may move onto tomorrow’s festivities. Unfortunately, for Harley, nothing can ever be that easily accomplished without some form of treachery attached. That’s why, although he has attempted to convince the local native not to go to the extremes in this confrontation, such requests have more or less fallen on deaf ears as the coordinator’s determination is only overridden by the anger felt deep within him; anger that the bespectacled teen had long loosed from his person and dropped like an ill-gotten habit.

The numbers on the plate, along with the raised dots to indicate Braille, near the key card mechanism are clear as the fluorescent lighting above the group of six. They have all made their way down this hallway and to the room Max told them to go to just a minute earlier in 835.

Not wishing to wait for any pleasantries, Harley knocks on the door, yet the sound makes it seem as if he’s pounding it to the people on the inside.

“Damn, I didn’t think that Conway would be that enthusiastic to do this! I like it! That can make this better than an energy shot buzz!” Kenny speaks while hearing the pounding knock on the door. At the moment, he is clearing the hotel room and making sure that things are clean and the atmosphere is an inviting one, so as not to turn off the virgin couple they are about to enjoy.

“I don’t think that’s Conway, to be honest,” Zoey determines. “Though I’m sure he’s been trying to hide it, he’s been so ****ing nervous about this all day that I doubt that anything would press him to pound at the door and demand to see your **** like we’re hearing. Anything like what we’re taking part in right now would be done discretely.”

“Well, I won’t spend my time speculating about it. I’m gonna check and see so we can begin.” With that, Kenny looks through the peephole of his room. It is there that he feels his heart, stomach and all the other organs in his body start to sink as low as they can go. His head appears to go in the same direction as his person, knowing that Harley will not let this die without venting his frustrations in the face of the Catholic mass of humanity.

Not speaking a word to his girlfriend who’s watching television, Kenny simply opens the door, prepared for whatever might happen to him. “Hey, Harley. Look…” One thing that he did not expect to see, because Harley crowded the hole so well, was the fact that his invited guests were here, along with Lucy and Brock. He couldn’t worry about them right now, though; because the moment that the amorous coordinator opened the door for him, he got shoved into the wall of the hotel by his neck and Harley still has a hold on it.

While Max and the others seek to stop Harley from choking Kenny out, he will have none of it until the choked gets his comeuppance. “You ****ing *******! Explain yourself! What the **** were you thinking kissing my boyfriend in the bathroom like that, huh?”

“Well, if you let me answer,” Kenny replies while straining to get the words out of his mouth, “You’ll understand I made a mistake with Max!”

“You’re damn right you did!” Harley loudly retorts.

“What the hell?” Zoey exclaims, coming out of her room. “Harley, get off Kenny…now! Let him go, Harley! What’s going on here?”

Letting go of the neck of the teen, Harley explains, “Your little boy toy and I need to have a little talk about what’s proper behavior and what isn’t. We’re gonna do it alone, though.”

“Harley.”

“Holly, Conway…just go inside for now, okay?” Kenny directs. “You too, Zoey. I have to handle this thing with Harley the way he wants or he won’t get it, so just go inside, get comfortable and we’ll do our thing in a minute.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Conway. I’m sure. Go in the room. I’ll be with you later. He won’t do anything too bad to me with Brock and Lucy here.”

“But you just your *** got choked out!”

“Go inside, Zoey! That goes for you too, Conway and Holly! I mean it, okay? I’ll be fine.”

Gritting her teeth, she gives the stubborn boy what he wants in his chat. “Okay, then. If I hear anything off about this conversation, I’m coming back out here and we will settle this my way. Conway, Holly, come with me. We’ll get settled in.” And with that, the three enter what is quite an immaculate looking room, similar to the one they are staying in up on the tenth floor, with the only discernable differences being the placement of beds and the bedding that goes above it. After a few seconds, the three make some idle conversation; mainly to get their mind off of the scene in the hotel hallway. A minute or so of back and forth conversation then passes, which seems to escalate into straight arguing.

A grunt was something they expected on this night, many of them in fact, but none of the three amorous teenagers inside of the hotel room had even removed their shoes before entering the scene of their upcoming activity. Upon his request to the other members of this swinger’s sandwich, Kenny went back to the front door and told his girlfriend and the other couple to wait for him in the room so that he could take care of a somewhat charged mob and attempt to talk some sense into the highly effeminate but equally angered coordinator. Soon afterwards, his partners heard the first of what will be several grunts. This one, however, has nothing to do with pleasure.

“It was a mistake, Harley!” they hear the sixteen-year-old plea, but to no avail as just one second later, they hear flesh and bone landing on flesh and skull, causing Conway to immediately jump up and find out what’s happening with the younger male. Holly and Zoey follow right behind him.

In the hallway leading to the door, they are met by Kenny, who’s slouched over by the right wall leading to the bathroom. Getting a good look over where he now sits and moans in a fit of sudden pain, they all can see that the Twinleaf native with an affinity for all sexes has a black eye on the right side of his face.

“Kenny, now what happened?” Zoey asks.

“I hit his ***,” says not Kenny, but Harley standing by the doorway. “That’s what happened. That’s what he gets for kissing my boyfriend. Isn't that right, Kenneth the Fourth? And while she’s here again, why don't you let your girlfriend here know the whole truth about this sorry episode and how you apparently can't keep your hands away from man, woman or child?”

“Like I freaking told you, it was a mistake, Harley!" he restates. "Even Max admits that, but you just had to have your release and take your frustrations out on me. Why? Well, hearing through the grapevine, I do know of a lot of answers to that question, but I don't know what in the world they have to do with me when you know—you know what I'm all about! Don't get ****** off at me, Harley, and don't hold in the frustrations you have for your boyfriend's folks because they think it's best that you not have sex...intercourse or go all the way with Max until he turns eighteen?”

"Hey, asswipe! That's our business, all right? How did you know that?" Harley clarifies for the one of loud mouth. Aiming to charge at his fellow coordinator on the ground, he is, instead, held back by his younger boyfriend and told several times to calm down.

"If I'm not mad at Kenny," Max explains, "then you shouldn't be, either! Settle down, please!"

“Kenny…Max—someone!" Zoey says, almost screaming, as a way of getting the attention of someone far more in the know than she is at this moment. "What the **** is going on here? Kissing your boyfriend? Just what kind of mistake are you talking about?”

“Zoey, earlier tonight, Kenny came into a bathroom at the Slateport Stadium and thought that he saw Conway over at the bathroom sink, but that was actually me that he saw and that led to him kissing me and not Conway, like he apparently wanted.”

“Wait, you said that he confused me with you, Max?” Conway interjects.

“That’s right.”

“Okay, that makes sense, I suppose. He and I are wearing the same shirt, after all, and I did make that point to you earlier, Max.”

“You know what? That’s fine,” Zoey interjects, looking quite angry. “I’m not gonna deny that that is an honest mistake and that everyone here understands that and could make those same rash conclusions and go too far, right?" Waiting for a response, she asks once again, "Am I right, Harley?”

“Yes,” Harley responds simply.

“Well then, what the hell are you thinking hitting Kenny? Are you gonna prove a point by using your fists that you can’t do with your words? Everyone agrees that Kenny made a mistake. He’s a horny ****, Harley. This is something that he freely admits to those in his inner circle, including his family! So anyone—anyone that he comes across that he likes is not safe. It’s that simple. Either live with it or you lose one of the best guys that anyone could have as a friend. So what the **** are you doing getting ****** off over one, moronic, stupid, idiotic, childish mistake from a sixteen-year-old boy? You're what? Twenty-five years old? The exact age doesn't really matter. Whatever it is, you know better than that! Problems like that haven't been solved before, so what makes you think that today will yield any different results? My God in heaven, he's just a boy and he will be that until...whenever he grows up and whatever that might entail! I'm sorry for exploding like this, but...you know I'm right. That's not how you handle your ****! You talk it out like the grown ****ing man you claim to be!"

During this mini rant coming from the redheaded firecracker, Harley brings his head down and realizes that he probably shouldn’t have ****** Zoey off by hurting Kenny. After all, this girl, though much younger than he is, can deliver quite a punch herself.

“I asked you a question, Harley,” Zoey tells him once again as Kenny gets back up from off the ground. “What makes you think that you can run roughhouse on my boyfriend when you know what he’s all about?”

“Yeah, what was that all about, really?” asks Brock, who has gone from a silent observer to a skeptic after hearing what Zoey has said in the last minute. “And Zoey, not to sound out of order or anything like that, but the fact is that you sound angrier about the fact that Harley hit Kenny and not that Kenny kissed another guy. You are his girlfriend and yet you seem so cavalier about that.”

“I—you know what? Yes, I'm not angry about the fact that Kenny kissed another boy at all, because I knew about that. And as for why I had no problem with it, the simple and quick answer is that we share each other.”

“Share each other?”

“Yes. Zoey and Kenny are swingers, Brock,” Conway answers. “Bisexual swingers, and that’s the reason why there was this confusion and why Zoey is angry at Harley and not Kenny.”

“Wait, and…that’s what you’re doing here in their hotel room tonight; a swing session?” Lucy asks.

“Yes, that’s the reason why Holly and I are here.”

“Wow,” Lucy answers. “I’ve never thought of anything like that before. The idea of swinging to add some spice or juice to our relationship never came up. It's a new idea in my mind, but it sounds kind of intriguing if I say so myself.”

“Hey now,” Brock contends, given the scope of what he knows about himself and the possibilities of a bisexual session which do not nearly tickle his fancy into submission as much as a so-called 'traditional' wife or girlfriend swap. Not meaning to sound insulted or taken aback by the idea, he says to Lucy and the gathered crowd, “One couple at a time, okay?”

“Actually, Brock is right. I don’t think that it would be right for Conway and Holly if I allowed any other couples or people in here if I’m not prepared for them physically and emotionally, so anything like that will have to take a rain check,” Kenny admits. Reaching into his right pocket, he does give the older union some advice for potential future encounters. “If you think that you’d like to be a part of something like this or would want to do it with another pair, here’s the card to the organization.” Reaching across the hallway, he hands Lucy what appears to be a business card, which she wastes no time reading.

“The Switch Hitter’s Society: We go both ways to make sure your pleasure is our business," she orates, directly from the card. "Interesting, Kenny, but neither Brock nor I am bisexual.”

“That's no problem," he says, not missing a beat. "They know other organizations and swing clubs that cater to what you like. I’m sure they can give you something that you both can agree with and get on board with and if you can find something, let me know. My number’s there on the card, as well."

“Okay, now that we have that settled, is everything okay here?” Though Zoey looks around and sees Harley nod his head while just about everyone else says yes, she is not satisfied by this affirmation from the man who attacked her boyfriend. She would like this to end sooner than later so she can get to the business at hand, but it does not appear that Harley will bend without much prodding from the other side.

“Harley, you don’t have anything at all to say about this, but to nod your goddamn head?” Zoey wonders out loud. “Forgive me if I think you would have more to say. After all, you were the person that thought it was necessary to punch Kenny in the face and give him a black eye, when you knew the type of…drive he has and that it was a mistake, something that your hotheaded *** didn’t want to accept until the evidence was right in front of your face. Call me crazy, but I think Kenny deserves more than just a nod. Apologize to him, Harley.”

“Just do it, Harley, and get it over with,” Max pleads with his much older boyfriend. “Let’s not conflict things anymore than they have been. I forgive Kenny for kissing me. Why can’t you do the same?”

Most everyone in and around the hallway agrees with this and eventually, Harley finds himself backed into a corner and extending a hand of friendship in the direction of Kenny, which he accepts. Leaning into the teen, he says, “I will go the distance for that boy, because I care for him that much and will do whatever I need to in my power to make sure he's safe. Keep that in mind along with the fact that I’m doing this for him, but for the most part...we’re fine. I'm a tad bitter, but I'll get over that, as well. Just remember to keep your hands and lips to yourself and know who you're dealing with when it comes to this stuff, deal?”

“Okay, no problem or arguments here,” he whispers in return. Heading back in the direction of the door, he wishes Brock, Max, Lucy and Harley, “Good night,” while they hope that he and the other three involved in this session have a good time and a good night, as well.

"Hey, Harley," Brock speaks to the male as they walk over to the elevators. "I'm curious because Zoey kept mentioning that...that you knew about Kenny--that you knew what he was all about. What did she mean by that?"

"Uhh," Harley begins, not really knowing how to start, "let's just say that when you are out on the road with a motley bunch as coordinators and trainers can often be you see things that really open your eyes. Zoey really is the...one."

"The one?" Max curiously wonders.

"It would explain a lot if she were a boy in a past life, that's all I'm gonna say." Though disappointed that he is not going to get any added information about this unique relationship between the Sinnoh coordinators from his boyfriend, who according to his word has some details about the two of a certain interest, he believes that some convincing from his end might lend him some answers and provide clarity, which he may be able to find away from the other couple, who now stands with them in the elevators leading to the upper floors.

As he heads for the door, the last person of their group heads to go back inside the room. Given this, he shuts the door behind him leaving behind only a sign on the doorknob urging passers by one important message.

Do not disturb.

---------

Your Thoughts?

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
And now, here's chapter thirty-nine!

It's been (more than) 24 hours since the last update, so here goes! Chapter thirty-nine coming up and for the people on the PM list, this one comes with an apology.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4127100/39/All_Roads_Lead_to_the_Grand_Festival

(Chapter 39- Nothing to Say)

---------

As a cap off to a fine evening for a person who is by all accounts an amateur in a world of true professionals, Solana along with her male counterparts celebrate in a nearby bar, where most of the television screens are tuned into the final appeals of the evening. With only a few minutes until ten o'clock local time, Spencer, Kellyn, Lunick and Jackie treat the scene like an outing on New Year's Eve. It certainly didn't help that the bar owner, who has great respect for the work that the rangers perform in and around the several regions, allowed this fantastic five to have whatever they wanted from their bar in recognition of their service and their teammate's performance about half an hour ago. After giving the group of five their recognition, they were whisked off to another side of the bar where they are able to see the rest of the patrons while at the same time enjoy everything from drinks to food, and all on the bar's tab.

"You know something?" Lunick says to his group, who has now been given V.I.P. status by the bar, "Maybe this coordinating gig isn't as bad as we once thought it was. I mean, when you think about it, they get all of the primetime television slots, they get treated like they're royalty, you see them pitch a whole bunch of things to the people. They really get the life and based on what we saw earlier today, I can tell it’s more than just stringing together attacks. Now Spencer, you asked about why there were so many stands at the convention center and all of those corporate kiosks that we saw just outside of the stadium. Well, those corporations see the number of people that come here and quite frankly, it would behoove them to tap into this audience! If you really look at this thing from all the many different angles, you can sort of begin to see how the contest bosses can justify giving millions of dollars to the coordinators who seem to be the ones that attract all these people who, let's face it, are spending a ton of money here this weekend, as well."

"Well, that's cool, man," Jackie responds. "Really, it is, but that doesn't really mean much to me because I have no intentions of changing careers anytime soon. In the here and now, that just means that we are in a much better position than anyone else before us to take advantage of this giant pool of cash and spoil the party so that I can get a return on my investment. Now, Solana...you said that the producer told you just before we left for the bar that your position for tomorrow's elimination rounds is secure, am I right?"

"Yes. There's only one other person that did not do an appeal and that was Dawn Berlitz."

"The chica that was jaw jacking with us in the gorilla position backstage?"

"Same one, Kellyn," Solana answers. "And really, looking at it for what it was, I can see why she was in our face. I mean, we are not representatives of coordinating. We are outsiders that are here for one reason and that's to get money; to make off with our share. Dawn Berlitz...her mother was a coordinator; a highly successful one at that and our remarks about the sport I'm sure had to hit home with her and make her...mad as hell with us. Really, who are we to enter into their line of work and think that we can just shake things up and take over like coordinating is nothing? You guys heard the booing from the crowd."

"**** the crowd, Solana! They know nothing about you and are just hardcore fans who love their coordinating and will say ‘screw you’ to just about everything else."

"No, no, seriously!" she retorts. "Hear me out, Spencer. We're in their world as trespassers. I thought about that when I entered the stadium floor for the first time and could hear more of it when I told them that I'm a walk on here and that I'm only doing it for a large payday for my squad. I started to look at it from Dawn's perspective and things got a lot clearer for me. Coordinating...I hesitate to say is her way of life, essentially. That's what's put food on the table and a roof over her head for so long and for someone to come around and say that it's for the birds; I can see why she might be upset as us bashing what she's wanted to do since she was probably a little girl still wrapped up tightly in her mother's arms and suckling on something else.”

After a chuckle, Solana continues. "In any event, I thought about that and I also gave some thought to how much we, as Pokémon rangers, wouldn't like it if people suddenly signed up for our specific positions not really knowing the full extent of what that requires of people to ascend to our ranks. I mean, we all worked our tails off to get to the point we're at right now and we want respect for that. For someone else to just arrive onto the scene and get great recognition for their work right off the bat while I've been busting my *** for a while just to catch breaks only for them to fall out of my hands...I get it now; more than I did when I came up with this idea for us to make some quick and easy cash. Now, like Jackie, I'm not really interested in making a living doing this, but there is no doubt that I have respect for the coordinators who perform. You were there for the handshake."

"Yeah, I was wondering if something else would happen there, honestly."

Noticing that Lunick's attention is turned to both her words and something built into their table in the far off section of the club, the impeding question lingers in her mind before Solana has to interject herself and ask "What's that you're playing with over there, Nick?"

"I just noticed this after the waitress gave me my ale about five minutes ago," he answers. "It looks like a bunch of buttons that connect or control a television, but I don't get it. It couldn't be one of the big ones off in the main area because they haven't changed at all since I found this."

“You know, Lunick, maybe this little booklet on the dessert menu here has something to do with this,” Spencer interjects as he notices that some of the colors on the laminated leaflet corresponded to the same colored buttons that Lunick and the other rangers found on the table. Picking it up, he skims one side of it before looking at the top section of the other side and coming to a conclusion. “Lunick, try pressing that red button on the top left of the panel there. This says that a series of LCD screens should come up that show several live and on-demand shows.”

“No ****?” Jackie questions while checking the pamphlet for the table himself. Not seeing anything wrong with what Spencer just said, he takes advantage of his proximity to what appears to be a complex remote control and hits the power button for said equipment.

At that moment, the rangers, seated in a semi-circle, hear a great amount of electronic whirring, even over the loud dance music in the local club. Curious like a cat, Solana checks underneath her table and gets a big surprise as a series of wheel sets underneath the table along with horizontally-placed pulleys roll out a large electronic device past the round table. Viewing this item from the back, all five of them can tell that they are looking at a large television without even needing to look at the guide provided by the establishment. Within a time of about forty-five seconds, a spring-loaded lever props the television upright, brings it closer to the teammates and turns it on, revealing that it is indeed split to view four different programs at one time.

Nodding, Kellyn can’t help but say that the setup is “Way cool,” but after the ‘awe’ portion of his words concludes, he scoots closer to the remote only to find that there are a few portable ones by the side of the table for such an incident. Pulling out one of them, he points it at the television and presses one button, which leads him to a listing of programming on demand, including a section entitled ‘Hoenn Grand Festival’. Going further into this section, he sees more sections, including options which allow him to watch past Grand Festival matches, interviews, tips of the trade and appeals from the current event as they happen.

“Wait a minute? They actually have today’s appeals on their menu? Man, this has got to be state of the art. This is much better than the system that I had placed in my pad back in Chicole.”

“Well, there’s a reason for that, man,” Lunick speaks. “You live in a rural area so things will come there much slower than they will for city boys like Jackie and I.”

“Ah, good point. That does have some advantages, though. While technology is a great thing, do we ever stop and wonder what we’re missing with this evolution of these devices at the speed of light?”

After Kellyn made the point that he did, his peers look at him in some sort of awe, as if their comrade blew their mind with his thoughts. The silence of this crew is only accentuated by the loud party atmosphere of the club goers around them dancing and carrying on. Any poignant thoughts and ideas, however, go by the waist side, however, as Spencer uses his portable remote to search for Solana’s appeal. “Where is—ah! Here we go!” Once getting to the video file of her performance from not even an hour ago, Spencer sets the large TV screen to play the footage from earlier. “We’re doing this because you are the only one that didn’t see yourself on television.”

“Wait a minute, I can wait on that,” Solana interrupts. “I’m kind of curious as to how my temporary adversary did right after we left. I mean, we really didn’t stick around to see how she did. I think we owe at least that much to her.” Not hearing much agreement from her teammates, she sighs for a bit before adding, “Come on, now! What’s five minutes? We’re all here and she is my competition for tomorrow if she makes it through, so it would be smart for me to look at what she does, right? If nothing else, I can learn from what she did, apply it to tomorrow’s performance and earn more money for our pool.”

“Where’s Dawn’s appeal?” Jack immediately questions. Grabbing the remote from Spencer, he scrolls down the list of programs before he sees one titled ‘Berlitz, Dawn: Hoenn, 2010 Appeal’ which corresponds to exactly what the group, more specifically, Solana, was looking for from the list of shows and segments.

“I still can’t get over the fact that they have this footage already in the archives for the people to see…and Dawn’s appeal can’t even be an hour old at this point!”

“Well, get over it, Nick, ‘cause it’s about to start,” Solana tells him. As Jack presses the button to start the appeal, she shushes her teammates. “Quiet guys, I wanna hear this.”

Once the teammates decide to silence themselves for the benefit of their fellow ranger, they get their fill of Vivian Meridian and her deep and detailed introduction of the final coordinator of the evening, Dawn Berlitz. One thing that Solana notices is the very loud cheering from the crowd. It seems that the accolades listed by the announcers correlate with the popularity and noise that she elicits everywhere she goes.

While walking to the ring in the stage, the announcers, Professor Birch, Melinda and Gavin, all talk about the numerous controversies that have led Dawn to this point in time. From being hospitalized early Saturday morning due to painful headaches, to getting medical clearance from the contest directors to do her appeal last of all coordinators, to the fight in the press room with Drew due to the fact he fathered a child with his ex-girlfriend while still in a relationship with her, and for other reasons, and being told that she, along with Drew, would be suspended for the next six months due to that occurrence all have made for quite the day for the popular second-generation coordinator. But she, like all professionals in their trade, knows that it is best for her to simply block out all the distractions, take care of business and work to the job that she sought out to do since she began her journey through the Hoenn region.

Making it to the center of the stage, she gets the signal from the referee to begin her appeal. She does so by throwing out her Poké Ball and calling her Mamoswine to the task of impressing the judges for the next two minutes.

“Mamoswine, eh?” Kellyn remarks. “Well, for a Pokémon that has a powerful move set and a great upside when it comes to attack variety, there isn’t a much better Pokémon that she could have unless she has an Arceus we know nothing of.”

“She has no Arceus, unless she is covering up a secret with our enemies behind our backs,” Spencer speaks.

“Guys,” Solana warns her team while Dawn commands Mamoswine to use mist, followed right after that by hail. Those maneuvers continue to blanket the arena in a cloud of sorts and right afterwards a call of rain dance is made.

As the commentators continue to explain and elaborate to the audience about what they are watching, analyst Professor Birch makes note of the fact that all of Dawn’s attacks at the moment are ones that are designed to last over a period of five turns. It’s a great strategy, he claims, to use for coordinators who wish to build upon their attacks and make impressions with well placed elements. Melinda adds that this strategy has been seen before with coordinators like Savannah and May who both performed earlier in the day.

Dawn, with confidence in her face that can barely be seen through the mist and the fog in the arena, continues to time and synchronize her attacks, which is something that Solana has clued into by watching her mannerisms and actions while her appeal is in progress. The lack of vision in the stadium at the moment does not seem to faze her at all. The only thing she’s worried about at the moment is her next attack and how she plans to go about it. With the rain, hail and mist all forming a cold version of a sauna, a cloud has literally formed at ground level in Slateport Stadium, just past sunset.

The announcement then comes across the public address system that Dawn has only thirty seconds remaining to finish her appeal. Solana wonders with these attacks continuing to blanket the arena like they are, what she is gonna do to attempt to wow an attached audience like the one she has right now.

Such questions are answered soon afterwards when Dawn points her arm up into the sky and says, “Now, Mamoswine! Brighter days are ahead! Use your icicle spear attack to clear the airwaves!” The attack, much like the appeal, mirrors May’s earlier attempt in a lot of ways. Then again, it does not given the fact that Mamoswine stays within his element for the majority of his appeal to deliver a fine performance while using four large icicles to cut through the cloud and carry the precipitation out into the sky. Each icicle strike burns the cloud to nothing and the session ends with twelve seconds remaining in the appeal.

It did its job. The rangers in the club were on the edge of their seat the entire time, and it appears the same could be said of the fans who witnessed this live. It ended with wild cheering live and a smatter of respectful applause from the five VIPs knowing that Dawn is the competition of their representative. They held in their peace for her and to hear the praise from all five judges and the floor reporter, Robert. They thought, among other things, that the appeal was quite creative and stuck to the Pokémon’s traits and same attack types. Many references were made to the appeal by May and the use of weather as a theme, but they all point to the fact that May used many technical machines to pull off attacks for Skitty and make a grand showing, while Dawn kept things simple using only attacks that are most familiar to Mamoswine according to their type and not going beyond that throughout the appeal.

The total number of points that she deserved was somewhat in question at the time that the judges had alone to make their decision, but when Robert called for Dawn’s score, one would be hard pressed to find someone in the arena of neutral standing that did not think that Dawn deserved her score of fifty, only the second perfect score of the day. Tired, the enthusiasm that many in the stadium expected to see from the Sinnoh coordinator was not there, but she did have a smile on her face, especially when Robert informed her that she would be the number one seed for tomorrow’s elimination rounds by virtue of the fact that she finished her appeal in less time than May did. Robert again states that Dawn will be the number one seed and May will be number two for the championship bracket of sixteen. The video ends with Dawn walking down the ramp backstage and a few people packing up to head back to their hotels and beat the midnight rush.

“That was damn impressive,” Kellyn remarks apprehensively. “You certainly have a task on your hands for tomorrow. Do you know what seed you are and who you face?”

“I think I’m the…eleventh seed—no,” she says, remembering that Dawn went on last. “I’m twelfth. The director told me right after my appeal that I was in at an eleventh seed and then Dawn came in and knocked me down to twelfth.”

“So that means that you face the fifth seed,” Spencer concludes while checking his remote again. He turns the channel to live sports news and, just as he thought, they are covering the tournament in full and are breaking down the brackets. A check of the bottom of the screen shows him and the other rangers that the fifth-ranked coordinator and Solana’s first opponent for Sunday afternoon will be, “Sandra Van Hollen, it appears.”

“I don’t know much of anything about her,” she admits. “Well, I’ll have to do with her what I did to the appeal and nail her. No worries, though, right? We’re in, and that’s what we came here to do; get our feet in the door. Now, Spencer, could you pull up my appeal and let me see how I looked?”

“Solana’s appeal coming up,” he says like a waiter on the clock and with a few presses of the remote button, the rangers look at their female team member walk to the ring with great determination while hearing the cheers and whistles from a pumped crowd in the stands.

---------

While people never get this sort of feeling completely, fully or absolutely, the two teens who ditched the mainstream dessert shops for a quaint creamery on the outskirts of town, at this point in time, are satisfied. Engaged youths, Kelly and May, at the behest of the latter, enjoyed their own shares of ice cream favorites with May munching on a heaping helping of rocky road. As she devoured the dish, she would remark about not having such loaded rocky road since she tried an organic brand from a shop on the Orange Islands during a family vacation.

For Kelly, her sweet satisfaction came from a far less traditional flavor blending as she first sampled and then tried numerous mixings of frozen creams before stumbling upon a combination tried and true, but not necessarily for ice cream. Running into the union of strawberry and banana many times as a young girl and even having it some days after her high school classes at age six meant that the flavor was branded into her conscious as something delicious and a good habit to keep. While the ice cream took this past tradition of strawberries and bananas after school to a whole new level, she didn’t mind it and even said that she thought it was better than her partner’s rocky road. May respectfully disagreed with her.

The shop, called ‘Clean Slate Ice Cream’, a play on the name of the city and the manner in which they make a majority of their treats, had only a few patrons on a night where many of the eateries would normally be chock full of customers and a line for those waiting on service. That is not the case here as the building has about as many customers as can be counted on one hand, allowing for intimate conversations on a myriad of topics to take place here.

Among the most pertinent of topics includes their upcoming marriage. Though, again, any conversation of that and the ceremony that is certain to come is only in the stages of planning at the moment through passing statements and questions. There will be times later for the two seventeen-year-olds to actually sit down and talk with most of their family about what they want to do, but that will require them actually knowing that the two are related in a romantic respect and that needs an announcement. Therein lies Kelly’s desire not to steal any coordinator’s thunder should May lose in tomorrow’s elimination rounds making her fiancées performance on Sunday afternoon that much more important. Another opportunity for a coming out party at this grand scale may not come around again for them.

Overall, both girls come to the conclusion that the day has been quite the adventure for many different reasons, and Kelly can look back at it all and honestly laugh at some of the outright absurdity inherent within the day since her very unique wake-up call. As they walk back to the Slateport Milton to go to bed and go over some final plans before tomorrow’s production meeting, stadium walkthrough and final practice, the realization of their error comes up in conversation.

“We ran around like chickens with are heads cut off trying to find them after Paul set me straight,” Kelly jokes. “I’m glad that things did not turn out how I thought they might. I remember quite well right after we got together, Conway and Holly did the same when they had a class at Rustboro Academy together and like I said earlier today, I didn’t want what happened to me to happen to anyone else.”

“I understand and while we probably could have gone about it a different way than we did,” May responds, attempting to switch the subject so that Kelly does not dwell on her ex for too long, “I know your heart was in it and wanting to make sure that the four of them were safe and, most important, weren’t harming anybody else.”

“That’s right, and it…”

“Tomorrow’s the big day,” the Petalburg native speaks, successfully turning the conversation into her favor in the hopes of preventing Marina’s name from accidentally being brought up when such a walk down memory lane is unnecessary.

Although May could not really tell at night, she suspects that given the change in subject may have perked her girlfriend’s mood. “Are you ready for it? I mean, this is the reason we came here; so that you could win this tournament.”

“Like I said on Friday, I think that with the team that you put together for me, I haven’t been more ready than I am right now. All six of my Pokémon are ready for this; Blaziken has never let me down in past battles. I’ve got Blastoise to work with. You saw how Skitty, Kecleon and Luxio handled in battle. I’m ready to just get this done. This is what we’ve been working for in the last four weeks, Kelly, and I don’t want to let any of these people down. Neither do our buddies. So whether you put Dawn in front of me, Drew, Brianna, Solana or Jessminder really doesn’t matter to me at this point! Bring all of them on; because I’m on such a high right now, I could beat anyone, including the champs like Solidad, Juan or Wallace. Say, Kelly, what time is it?”

“Hang on,” she says before checking her wristwatch and becoming wide-eyed once she saw the time. “It’s a quarter past eleven, May!”

“Are you serious?” she exclaims, looking at the watch herself and then looking at her own cell phone. “Good night! We’ve been out that long?”

“Well, that is partially my fault,” Kelly admits as the two take a standstill by a street corner just outside of the Slateport city limits. “Harley was the one who suggested going to ‘Clean Slate’ to get away from the city and to enjoy some of the best ice cream in the area. I made the place sound fantastic, and really, it was great, but it required a tram ride to get us there…”

“And now, all of the trams are shut down until early tomorrow morning,” May adds, completing the spoken thought of her betrothed, “and the hotel is at least six miles away from here! That’s gotta be at least a two-hour walk! By the time we finish it, we’ll be too pooped out to even wake up for the mandatory meeting.”

Looking up at the sky and remembering some of the meteorological signs from the times she watched the sky with her folks, Kelly comes to the prediction that, “Not to mention, given the look of the clouds in the sky and the cooler temperatures, it almost looks like it could rain.”

“Really?” asks the coordinator, who did not know of any predictions made about the weather that fell in line with her girlfriend’s as she says to her after sounding quite surprised.

“Yep. Certainly looks like it. But it’s probably just a passing shower,” she assures May. “That’s likely the reason why you didn’t hear anything about it until I said that it was possible. You know, now that I think about it, we don’t really have to wait on any public transportation. We can use our Pokémon!” Before May can say even a word of protest complaining of suffering burns after attempting to ride her Blaziken out of tough spots in the past, Kelly pulls out one of her own Poké Balls with marking and logos on it that are in line with the Rustboro Academy. “Velos, come on out!” she commands and with these words, out comes a Pidgeot. The only difference between this one and any one that could be found out in the wild is its much larger size and the green markings on the nails of his talons, much like nail polish.

May, once again, is surprised to see her fiancée with this powerful ally of a Pokémon in what appears to be a super size. “Kelly?”

“No, Velos isn’t mine,” she clarifies. “He’s on loan to me from Rustboro Academy for research of an all natural growth supplement that is virtually side-effect free. So, what do you think about him?”

“He’s a thoroughbred, Kelly! I’ve never seen a Pidgeot this big before in my life!”

“And he can get us to the Slateport Milton in about a minute if you can just hang on for the ride. What do you say, love? I can see it now; Kelly and May write their names in the sky this evening on the back of our buddy, Velos?”

At this point, though she could just as easily blame it on the cold, May is shivering. Kelly always seemed to have a way with words and this moment in time is certainly no exception.

“Well, May?”

“Well,” she begins, “I say…let’s make like the pen to this paper canvas!”

Leaning in for a kiss on her forehead, Kelly remarks, “That’s my girl!” Then she hops onto Velos, asking May to do the same, which she does. “Velos, take us to the Slateport Milton hotel, about five miles south by southeast. You’ll wanna look for a high-rise with a white-painted rod standing on top of a building in the center with four corners and flat roofs. Got it?”

Velos smiles back at Kelly as they fly high up in the air with quick velocity and acceleration behind the movement. The action by the bird Pokémon was so sudden that May found herself having to grab tightly onto Kelly’s waist like she was the one who had a fear of falling to her untimely death. Breathing heavily and cursing herself for even considering checking how things looked below her, she looks up to the pilot of this flight, who looks back at her with a big, toothy smile going from one end of her face to the other. “Enjoying the ride, dear? Be sure to hold on tight!”

At that moment, May relaxes for the remainder of the ride, which lasted only a minute and a half. During the tail end of the ride on Velos, May kept telling her fiancée that she would get hers before the weekend comes to a close. As the couple makes their landing in front of the entrance of the Milton, however, Kelly shrugs off such notions saying “We’ll just see about that, May.” Pulling out the loaner Pokémon’s Poké Ball, Kelly presses the button on the front, saying, “Velos, return!” Once back in his Poké Ball, Kelly thanks Velos for guiding them safely back to the hotel. “This sure reduced our time having to travel back to the hotel by foot didn’t it?”

“It certainly did, Kelly. Thanks for the ride—Kelly? Where are you going?”

“That mother ****er!” she screams while running—not walking to the doors of the hotel lobby.

“Kelly, what…”

“Marina!” the professor screams at the top of her lungs. While it seemed that everyone in the lobby heard what she had to scream, there was one exception in the girl whom the call was addressed to. Seeing that her ex is listening to headphones on an mp3 player, she decides to speak with her on an even more personable stance. Tapping her on the shoulder gets her attention to the point where the Johto native actually opens her eyes to see a sight which she would much rather like to avoid.

“**** this,” she says, not even acknowledging Kelly. Although smaller than her ex-girlfriend and not as strong, Kelly grabs the older girl by the collar to keep her from going too far away.

“You’re not going anywhere, Marina,” she deliberately informs the ‘Idol’. “Not until I get some answers.”

“I have nothing to say to you,” she contends, not even having the respect enough to call Kelly by her name. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I must be going back to my hotel room.”

“How can you be so cruel about this, Marina?” Kelly emotionally asks. “We were together, and for you to deny that is like denying a part of yourself. How could you deny that and bury it into the ground like it never happened?”

Freeing herself from the grip of her ex, Marina runs to the stairs, with her only words being, “Leave me alone, please! Just forget it! It’s done! Good night!” Nothing else, not even an acknowledgement of what happened in the past between the two of them, took place, leaving Kelly wondering what it will take for this human to admit to err.

May, who watches the whole scene unfold in front of her, feels for her friend, lover and partner, but has no idea how to deal with it without triggering some sort of deep emotion better suited for privacy’s sake. “Kelly, I…I don’t…I can’t say anything to fix this or make it right with my words, or…”

“**** her.”

“Excuse me?”

“I said…**** her, **** her, **** her!”

“Kelly…”

“How could she be so heartless? I gave her more than just a relationship! I trusted her, and she abandoned me and my parents! She can kiss my ****ing ***, May. That cold ***** can just go…” Kelly can’t get much more out of her system before crumbling down to the ground in tears. May is right there to console her and immediately wraps her arms around her girlfriend.

“It’s gonna be okay, Kelly,” she assures her, kissing her forehead and protecting her from the glazes and the stares from people in the lobby. “What?” she asks them. “How many of you would do this for a friend in need, huh? What makes me so special? I’m May Maple and I’m consoling my heartbroken friend here. Should that be a surprise? Should that be a big story? No! She’s my friend. Really, she’s more than that! I don’t see you doing this for your friends; being there for them, unless you need something. Well in this case, it’s her who stands in need. She’s hurt and I’m gonna give her a shoulder to cry on.” Seeing that they haven’t gotten the hint yet, May gets right to the point and tells everyone, “Go! Get the hell out of here! There’s nothing for you to see here! Go on, now!” And slowly but surely, they depart, leaving May with her one and only to find some way to settle her down after a bad exchange with an even worse person.

“Come on, let’s get to bed,” May somberly suggests, picking up Kelly and walking her in the direction of the elevators.

“She wouldn’t even say my name, May,” Kelly blubbers. “It’s like I don’t exist to her. How can I go beyond this ******** if I can’t even get answers to what happened? I have a right to know what was on her mind to want to just leave me like that. How can I have a great future if so much of my present is defined by my lack of a past? How, May? How?”

“I don’t know, Kelly, and it’s breaking my heart knowing that you feel like this and you shouldn’t have to, you understand? Marina is just being selfish. I see that now. She won’t get away with it, you hear me? I won’t allow her to do this anymore. You will get your answers to this if I have anything to say about it.”

“May,” she replies while still cradled in her fiancée’s arms, “you don’t have to…”

“I know. I don’t have to, I need to, Kelly. For you and your health and because of the fact that whenever her name is mentioned or I see her around here, I don’t see the Kelly I fell in love with eighteen months ago. I see…someone that’s lost. I need to do something and get you back for good. I can’t stand back idly while she makes a fool out of everyone who thinks she’s this great role model. Look, no more about Marina. Let’s just go to sleep, now. We’ll figure something out in the morning, okay? It’ll be all right. You will thrive from this. I promise you.”

“You do?”

“I do,” May replies, not getting the double meaning behind what she just said.

“Okay,” she sleepily says. “I can’t be hurt again, though, May. I don’t know if I could take it.”

“I’d never do what she did. Besides, I’m in too deep with you. Every other girl I’d come across would remind me of you.”

“Good point,” Kelly admits, while quickly fading into dreamland. “You wouldn’t find another one quite…like…” and that’s all she wrote for Kelly, who after the confrontation with her ex, likely didn’t have the stomach for anymore to do with Saturday March 13, 2010.

In some ways, the day was a great success and a fine testament to the hard work that Kelly, her girlfriend, her cousin, his boyfriend, her girlfriend’s parents and a slew of other friends and family made over the last month to prepare for the Grand Festival. In other instances, the demons within Kelly seemed to have no remorse for the doctorate in training. Marina’s situation caused her to overreact to her friends around her and draw conclusions based upon her sordid history that were incorrect and off base. On multiple occasions, her circle of friends had to pull her back to reality and remind her that not all people are underhanded and cold to their fellow individuals, but the idea still resonates within her that it could happen to her again. May might give her hope of those days being long gone, but to that, she can never be too sure.

In her mind, luck has to be a tall, blue-eyed brunette girl who actually cared and carried for her…otherwise she’ll be left with nothing to believe in any longer.

The outside world would have made off with that which is most important to her and left her like a lost child who doesn’t know where to go…the greatest unfortunate incident of all.

---------

A/N: And so ends a LENGTHY ‘Saturday’ arc. This will lead us right into Sunday morning in the story, and the climactic battles and end of this epic arc.

So...Your Thoughts?

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
Chapter Forty Now? All I'll Say Is Wow!

NOTE: The third and final arc, the ‘Sunday’ arc, begins here. This will take us all the way to the end of the story, with a nice surprise to boot. And this does contain some sexual content between two males. You have been warned.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4127100/40/All_Roads_Lead_to_the_Grand_Festival

(Chapter 40- Tales of a Wet One)

Pitter-patter is how it goes, or how it’s personified throughout history. It’s been used to describe little feet, particularly those of young children, but even the sleeping Kelly would have to say that she’s far off from thinking along those lines as of yet, even though she’d love to have children with her fiancée in the years to come as she let Savannah Van Hollen know one night ago.

In any event, pitter patter of another sort has awaken Kelly, and as she opens her eyes, she learns that this morning wake-up call has come just a few minutes before she set the alarm clock for her and May at 5:30 in the morning.

Stretching out her arms and yawning loud enough that she makes the figure over by the bedroom window turn her head over in her direction to see if she’s all right. Rubbing the cloudiness out of her eyes, she focuses upon her girlfriend by the window, fully dressed and looking outside at the strong and steady rain that has pelted the area since early this morning. She notices that she’s in the same clothes that she wore for Saturday.

Turning back over to Kelly in the bed, May asks her, “Did you sleep well?”

“As well as can be expected,” she answers as she props herself up on the bed no longer laying down, but rather, sitting up. “How long have you been up?”

“About an hour,” May answers, with all answers becoming more neutral in tone and somewhat depressing and drab in their feel. “I got woken up by the rain just like you did. I followed what you had to say about it and I didn’t think much about what would happen as far as the weather because all signs—okay, most signs pointed to otherwise good weather throughout the weekend. Now I look at my phone and all I keep seeing on the phone is the fact that this rain should last into the evening.”

“You’re kidding me?”

“I only wish I were, babe. They even said on television that it would be the first ‘sloppy’ Grand Festival elimination round in about twenty years. Sure, it’s nice that we get to be a part of history today, but that’s not so nice for my signature Pokémon to get caught up in this muck all day long.”

“Oh, man, that’s right!” Kelly remembers as she gets out of bed and heads over to May to give her a ‘good morning’ hug and kiss, making sure not to pat her fiancée on the back with her right hand in its cast. She silently remarks that even in the early morning before the sun is supposed to come up, that her sweetheart still looks great and is a welcome morning sight, without question. “Do you even know if Blaziken can handle wind and rain like this?”

“I doubt it because if you remember back to when we started training for today, you told me that it would be best if I got my Pokémon out in situations that weren’t just clear and sunny. If something like this did happen, we’d be prepared for it. That was what you told me to do or something along those same lines. So I took one of our off days and tested Blaziken’s ability to attack and work while under rainy conditions using a sprinkler and a couple of garden hoses. My mom actually watched over it and we found that Blaziken just couldn’t cope with that much water flowing over her at one time. Even when we attempted to tone it down to a manageable level for her, it really didn’t work out and we actually had to use a couple of potions to make sure Blaziken didn’t end up in any kind of shock from our training.”

“At least you learned from it, but perhaps something might occur today so that you may be able to use Blaziken. I mean, if the weather forecast doesn’t live up to what they’re saying, then the rain should clear at some point and that would mean that Blaziken would be of some use to your efforts.” All of this breaking down to the situation May finds herself in is impromptu to say the least, but Kelly is certainly one to think on her feet based on her extensive record as an educator.

“Well, maybe…hopefully.”

“Hey, I’m just saying that this isn’t the end of the world by any means and there’s no reason to trade Blaziken in for another Pokémon if we aren’t even sure that this rain will continue all day today. If not Blaziken, then you can use Blastoise and if not him, then there are always the other powerhouses in your group. There is a reason why handicappers gave you 12-1 odds of winning this whole thing. Put your team up against anyone else on any given day, and I know that you’ll come out of this tournament on top.”

Kelly is working her powers of persuasion to the best of her ability and doing it on someone who is, surprisingly, one of her biggest critics. While both of them have their daring and ambitious sides about them, the purple-haired one is likely the more outgoing of the two. Being a prodigy of sorts, though never one to brag about it, she learned very early on the importance of knowing what people need before they are given what they like. This came about in her teaching and educating several hundred students every year, doing interviews and speaking arrangements around the world because of her work and negotiating what can be a very difficult process in terms of fundraising, especially for various projects under her control.

But this one, especially given the point where May is at this year’s Grand Festival, is all but out of the hands of the professor. She’s gonna have no other choice but to put her trust in her fiancée, much like she did late one August night; a decision she doubts she’ll ever regret because it led her to true love unlike she’s ever felt before in her life. Much like the encouragement she got from May the night they admitted feelings for one another, Kelly has to return the favor for her given all the time they’ve spent together planning for this one day nearly eight years in the making.

With May looking out at the window and the scene of whipping rain and wind coming together to pelt the Slateport City streets, she appears downhearted but is taking the situation in stride knowing there is not much that she can do about a steady downpour. The air might have been taken out of her sails given this development of a soaking, but she knows one thing to be true. “Everyone else will have to deal with this, too. I can win.”

Kelly smiles as she knows that her wife-to-be gets it and is not going to let this setback determine what will happen this afternoon if she has anything to say about it. “I know you can. Now let’s shake some legs, get dressed and head over to the stadium for the production meeting and walkthrough,” she says, redirecting their conversation away from the rain for a moment. “I know that if we give it a shot, we can at least see if Blaziken can handle this weather, but based on what you’ve told me, I think we might even be reaching on that notion.”

Reaching for the soles of her feet, May removes her socks from them, exposing them to the air conditioned room as she gets a head start in undressing while making her way over to the bathroom. Before she opens the door to the shower, she turns over to Kelly and gives her an unexpected invitation. “You know we could save time and shower together if you want.”

“Wait,” Kelly says, doing a double take. “Come again? Sh-shower together?”

After getting a chuckle’s worth of the girl stammering and getting a bit bothered by the half-frankness of what just came out of her fiancée’s mouth, May saves her from any further redness showing up on her face and tells her, “****. I’m just kidding, Kelly. We’ll have plenty of time for stuff like that sooner than you think.”

“You still wanna wait like we talked about, right?”

“Don’t get me wrong,” she clarifies. “I get tempted all the time; pretty much every day. But unlike some people, I respect your wish to save that until we get married.”

Kelly knew that her girlfriend would bring that up in their conversation, eventually, and as painful as the memories from about four years ago were for her, she knows that she has to get answers and some form of a release in order to move on with her life. But how can she accomplish that when Marina, the one person who holds the key in this entire debacle, won’t even speak to her on the matter? In fact, any time she comes near the New Bark Town resident, she goes the other way without a word, leaving her angrier, more frustrated and with many more questions.

“Look, May, I thank you for showing concern for what happen all those years ago. You saying that you want to help me get beyond what happened is noble of you, but I don’t know how much good it will do, especially when Marina isn’t saying a damn thing. Not to me, not to Jimmy, and not even to her family. What makes what you plan on doing so different?”

“Because Marina hasn’t met me,” she smiles. “I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get my girl back, but you already know this. We can’t go much further until she lets you go. Once she does that and admits her wrongdoing, the sky is the limit for us. Otherwise, we’re stuck in this rut of doubt and scandal all because someone doesn’t want to look bad. Come on. How can someone hold that for so long and not feel a thing? Clearly, Marina’s a weak individual and once I take advantage of that obvious chink in her armor, there’s not much that she can do about it because she’ll be exposed for the wench that she is. What will she do, then? What could she do?”

“I just hope…” Kelly speaks before really giving it thought. Taking another few seconds to collect her thoughts, she responds. “Can you do it? I don’t want to seem like a victim any longer, but it’s hard not to feel that way given all that happened to me when I was thirteen. I just want answers. That’s all. What’s happened has happened, but can’t I get some explanation? Let me go and get some reasons for what went down. Even if it’s because you were scared and you give me the reason why, I need to hear it!”

“And you will. I meant what I said when I told you I will do my damndest to make sure it happens,” May assures her fiancée.

Smiling, Kelly knows herself to be truly blessed, fortunate and favored. However you may refer to it, this teenager is it. “Why are you so good to me, May? Really, there’s not much to me and I keep wondering why me of all the girls…and boys you could be with.”

“Are you serious?” she asks the girl who remains standing over by the window. “Why am I so good to you?”

“Yeah.”

“Because you’re you,” she admits. “It’s everything about you like the way you keep me up most nights on the phone talking about everything and talking about nothing all at the same time. How you make me laugh with your stories about college life. I love being around you. It just feels so good to spend time with you and get to know you better each and every day. That’s why I say don’t ever change.” Pointing to her heart, May makes the point, “I have a feeling that it’ll only get better with time.”

Kelly feels as if she could burst into tears of joy and elation at any second, but holds it together to the point that she says “Thank you, May.”

“You’re welcome. Hey. Who’s your girl?”

“You are, May,” she answers as the two interlock their left hands with one another, as a gesture of the bond between them. While they would usually use their right hands for this exercise, the somewhat mangled state of Kelly's right hand makes this difficult and somewhat awkward as the partners know that they're using the wrong hands, even if there's not much they can do about that now. “And I couldn’t be happier to know that it’s true.”

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s time to get down to business and get this shower started.”

“All right, I’ll be waiting,” Kelly informs her fiancée as she disappears into the bathroom. Upon closing the door behind her, the professor makes further comments on the matter, claiming, “I’ll always be waiting for you, May. I’ve learned my lesson and there’s no need to rush this because you’re worth it. If you can help me with this, then I will be eternally grateful. Death won’t even be able to tear you apart from me, May Maple, if you can help me thrive, just like you promised.” As the water from inside the bathroom and not outside their hotel room runs, a final thought enters the mind of the troubled teen. “Don’t think I won’t hold you to this, May. Like I told you that weekend, I don’t wanna be let down. I can’t take another disappointment.”

---------

‘This has got to be the greatest wake up call in the history of the world,’ thinks Paul Marin while a near-indelible smile is on his face and he takes several short and quick breaths as he lies sitting up in the bed of his boyfriend, Ash. The sun has just come out and lightly blanketed much of Pallet Town with a coating of sunshine with a tinge of orange. Conspicuous by his absence in the midst of all of this, however, is Ash, who is nowhere to be seen upon sunrise. All that exists within the room of the Pokémon trainer extraordinaire is Paul with his smile worn much like a heart on a sleeve and a giant lump at the foot of the bed.

“That’s it. That’s it. Oh, yes. That’s all I want. All I want,” Paul monologs. “Keep up. You’re the best, man!” he says to whomever before shaking and shivering while in his seat. He knows that that feeling deep within his being and centered around the area where all life has its genesis is at its peak about to climb higher and higher to the ultimate of summits. Its name is not Everest, however, and its walls never run cold.

“This is it! Oh, God! Faster! Faster, I’m gonna come!” Whomever is underneath the bed with him got the message and goes faster at around the same pace at the large lump in the bed does it and Paul’s motions and gyrations in the bed seem match up with the ones made by whoever makes up this abnormal mass.

Clearly, Paul doesn’t think about any of this though, as he’s reached critical mass and is about to blow. “Oh, ****! God! Oh, Jeez!” More moaning and noises of a unique sort reverberate throughout the room and if not for the fear of waking the neighbors or Delia, he might have gotten even louder with his pleasure-drenched screaming.

As the saying goes, the only way to go from the very top is down, so while his orgasm was a powerful one, not the most powerful but a powerful one, the feeling of bliss only happens for a little while before he’s brought back down to reality by a knock on the door.

“Paul? Ash?” a woman’s voice calls to the other side of the room. “You were kind of loud in there.”

“I’m sorry, mom,” a muffled voice underneath the sheets says as his apology.

“Are you two boys decent, at least?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Paul assures Delia. “Come on in.” As she enters her sons room to find both Ash and his boyfriend in the bed looking like a pair of teens that just got caught, she can’t help but snicker for a moment before she feels it only necessary and proper to relieve the tension in the room. Fully dressed, she beat the sun to business this morning, as she put the finishing touches on desserts and other party favors for this afternoon.

“Relax, you two,” she remarks. “Like I said, you’re both adults. What you do in the privacy of Ash’s room or in your homes is your business. All I can do as a caring and responsible mother is support you two and make sure you’re safe.” Looking closely at Ash once more, especially at his face, she stifles the idea of laughing her tail off for now.

Moving on, instead, to the reason why she came up to Ash’s room, Delia gives both her son and Paul the news. “In any event, I got a call from Reggie.”

“You did?” Paul asks. After Delia nods, he then inquires, “Well, how’s my bro?”

“Doing well, though he has to admit that traveling from Veilstone to Pallet for a party is a real bear, he does want to be here and he said that he’ll be brining…Jamie? Jamie! Yes, Reggie said that he’ll be bringing along your mentee to the party.”

“Ah, nice!” Ash remarks. “He got cleared to come here. That should be fun, right, Paul?”

“Yeah, you’re right. It’ll be great to have him here, especially around you. I mentor Jamie, but you might as well be right alongside me doing it. You’re like a magnet to him.”

“Oh, yeah!” he remembers. “This’ll be the first time that you’re gonna meet Jamie, right mom?”

“Aside from hearing stories about you, him and Paul hanging out together and seeing a picture from a year ago, yes. This’ll actually be the first time I meet young Master Coley in person.”

“Then you’re in for a great treat, Ms. Ketchum,” Paul compliments. “I swear to you, the boy is nothing short of a gentleman and a real personality to boot, even at age nine.”

“All right, well I think now would be the good time to shake a leg, get dressed and ready for his arrival, then,” Delia tells the boys.

“You’re right. We’ll hit the showers in just a moment.”

“No problem,” she responds as she looks to leave. Before she does that, however, she has to make the point to her son. “Oh, and Ash?”

“Yes, mom?”

“Please pay close attention to your mouth when you wash up, okay? It looks like you had a field day with my clear icing. Just a mother-to-son heads up,” she notes as she walks out the door, shutting it behind her and then afterwards laughing to the point that both her boys can hear her get to the point of hyperventilation.

Paul, looking over at Ash, sees exactly what Delia was talking about. Somehow, someway, a long strand of his own seed out of the corner of his boyfriend’s mouth. ‘Now I see why Ash’s mom was trying to hold it in,’ he silently remarks.

While he marvels at how long it stayed on his mouth, he confuses Ash who asks him “What, Paul?” in the midst of his silence. Paul responds by leaning into Ash with his tongue out doing the job of cleaning his mouth all on his own and getting a taste of his own product to boot.

“It looked good on you,” he says afterwards as he gets out of the bed and heads for the shower in his birthday suit and no shame. “Don’t think about it too much. Your head might explode. Just join me in the shower in two minutes. You want Jamie to see us like this?”

“Oh, no!”

“Then haul ***, man! Oh and we’ll probably have to do the laundry after we get dressed, too.”

Looking down at what the two have done right before the day has even really started, Ash gets the hint, for once, and tells Paul, “Point taken,” as he strips off the only thing in the room that needs it; the bed. After that, he takes the quick walk over to the washing machine to clean the sheets off before noon. Using a small amount of detergent in the medium-sized load, he turns it on a normal setting and follows the older Paul into the shower to kill two birds with one stone.

And so that an off the wall version of the birds and the bees doesn’t have to be told to an impressionable nine-year-old orphan.

It’s all relative, after all.

---------

For a hotel that does not cost nearly as much as the Slateport Milton and does not have the same amenities and proximity to this morning’s Grand Festival, Solidad can honestly say that she has not gotten a better sleep ever since she gave birth to her son. While she did have to wake up twice during the night to tend to Damien, he was no trouble for all that it’s worth and Solidad was able to get enough rest in that she actually woke up before the alarm clock was to have rung at 6:45 a.m.

Although she would rather not have the alarm clock on for Damien’s sake so as not to wake him before he’s ready to get up, Drew needs it in order to get up in time for the production meeting, where, as he told Solidad, he will likely get the news that he will have to turn over his license to the executives for the next six months.

As she sits up from bed and rubs the sleep out of her eyes, she turns over to the portable crib where Damien is supposed to be sleeping, only to find no trace of her newborn son. Turning back over to the beds, she also sees that Drew is absent in the bed, which has been made and shows no trace of anyone having slept in it last night.

“Drew?” she questions above her regular speaking voice. “Drew!” she asks again; this time, louder than before.

“Solidad, please!” a male voice whispers while entering the room with the beds from the kitchen. Drew enters the room fully dressed as he cradles a young baby boy in his hands rocking him back and forth while doing his best to make sure he doesn’t stir from Solidad yelling his name. “Damien just went back to sleep. I fed him about an hour ago and rocked him until he fell asleep.”

“Oh, Drew,” she responds, lightening her face and feeling a little bit guilty for her actions. “Here I am panicking for nothing and I could’ve woken Damien up.”

“No, don’t worry about it at all,” Drew assures his ex. “Honestly, I can understand why you would be so concerned. After all, Damien is your son, you’ve been caring for him by yourself the past three months and without warning, I take him to the kitchen, get him a bottle and see if he’s in need of anything else.”

“Drew, thank you for doing that, because Lord knows I’ve not gotten any breaks since he was born. I know you didn’t have to…”

“Come on, Solidad,” Drew interrupts while putting Damien back into his crib. “You know that I’ve shirked responsibility since his birth back at the start of the year. If anything, I should be thanking you for even allowing me to be in the same room as my son. With the way I’ve been acting…it’s a wonder.”

“Hey,” Solidad asserts, “both of us have really not been the best parents that we know we can be. But if we keep on dwelling on what we didn’t do and not focus on what we’re doing and what we’re gonna do, what kind of parents does that really make us?”

“Old codgers, Solidad,” Drew answers, nor thinking about what he has just said. Despite it, the comment conjures up laughter from both parents and marks the first time in a while where Solidad has actually smiled about something concerning her recent life.

“I don’t want to be old anytime soon, Drew, but I do want to do the best for our child, so arguing about the past even with him being as young as he is won’t do us any favors. I’m willing to let a lot of our old stuff go, for Damien’s sake.”

“If it means I get to experience some of the things that he and I have done in the past hour or so, then it will all be worth it.” Looking back at his son resting comfortably in the crib, he ponders how the weekend might have been a blessing in disguise. “Damien actually smiled at me when I gave him his bottle earlier. He looked up and showed me his mouth and…” Drew finds it quite difficult to continue as he is getting emotional thinking about what happened before Solidad woke up, but does keep going in order to get his point across. “Now that my father, the contest directors and a few other people have got my head back on and working, I realize what I’ve been missing. I…I can’t even begin to tell you how good it felt to see him smiling up at me and not once crying or wondering who this was. He entrusts me to take care of him, provide him with his every need and watch over him. I didn’t get it then because I was wrapped up in just continuing on like nothing happened, but now I know that there is no substitute for being there and being a father to your child.”

Drew then turns away from Solidad once more. Perhaps a matter of pride has caused this feeling, but once she hears the sniffling from the room and realizes that it’s not coming from her son, who remains sound asleep, she goes towards Drew, wrapping her arms around him while he is clearly crying and saying, “What the hell was I thinking? I missed out on something like that because of…because of ********! None of it even matters now. My relationship with Dawn is over. Despite that I always had to be seen as some public figure and show off this reputation as some kind of bad boy; none of that matters. Humph! I wish they could see me now, crying like a little ***** and only being ashamed because I didn’t wise up sooner…and rise up sooner.”

“Okay,” Solidad agrees, “but you’re here now. Doesn’t that count for something?”

“Oh, I’m here now,” he sarcastically replies. “Yes, I’m here now, yes, I’m stepping up, but you and I both know that this is all long overdue. I should have been there from the beginning.”

“There you go again, Drew, with should’ve, could’ve and would’ve. You say all of that, but I don’t really care about it right now. Yes, you could’ve been there from the beginning, but that doesn’t mean that you’ll necessarily stay there until the end. No, you didn’t get off to the right start,” Solidad admits, “but you have six months, right?”

“Yes, I’ve been suspended for the next six months. I won’t be able to coordinate again until mid-September.”

“Well, if you still feel that way, then this will give you time to make up for what happened. Not to me, but to our son. Be the best dad that you can be and it’s all bound to work out for the best as we try to get along and be civil for his sake at the same time. Do we have a deal?”

“A deal?”

“Yes. All I’m asking is for you to do your best to put these last three months behind you and spend these next six being the dad I know you can be. You admit that you were wrong. Well, that’s the first step. Right now, it’s all a matter of righting that wrong. Okay?”

“Yes, Solidad,” Drew sniffles.

“No more tears, now. You’ve got a tournament coming up and you have to be focused. I see you’re dressed and you’ve gotten your breakfast in, so those bases are covered.”

“Yeah, I figured if I’m going out and not coming back for…half a year, then it should be with a bang and I’ll give it my all in the process.”

“Just like with Damien. I like it. You just give it your all, put all of your heart into this and you’ll do just fine, rain or not.”

He gets himself together and from there, the star coordinator nods in agreement with his ex. “You’re right. I’m just more concerned about Damien right now than the Grand Festival. There’ll be other ones, but I only have one child right now and he’s gotta come first. It’s no longer about providing for him because even if I don’t coordinate again in my life, he’ll be set. I just need to keep everything in perspective. That seems like the best course of action I’ve taken in a long time.”

“I agree. Whatever works to bring you around to doing the right thing is fine in my book,” Solidad says. Afterwards, a long yawn comes from out of her leading to a call of, “Oh! Didn’t expect that to happen. I feel like I got a good night’s sleep, too. How do both of those happen at once?”

“Beats me. Would you like some breakfast before we head over to the stadium?”

Seeing her son calmly resting in his crib, Solidad sees no problem with the offer and thinks how good it would be to just have breakfast again, and not think about past problems that have plagued her, just like she told to Drew. “Yeah. That sounds good, Drew. Real good.”

Smiling right back at the mother of his son, he says. “I’m glad. Now what would you like?”

---------

“Breakfast was certainly good, mom. The people at the Slateport Milton sure know how to take care of their special guests.” Sandra, who has been up since before six o’clock, went with her mother to partake in breakfast before making the quick trip over to the stadium for interviews and production meetings.

“I agree,” says her mother simply and honestly leaving her thoughts at just that.

The falling out, for lack of a better phrase, that the Van Hollens had late last night concerning two of their fellow female friends who they found out were more than jut friends is not evident this morning. While Sandra has wanted to bring it up and speak to her mother about the reasons why she put her in her place yesterday evening, the opportunity has not really presented itself to her. It’s not as if Sandra considers what happened in the hotel hallway water under the bridge. On the contrary, both the young teen and young mother are keeping their interactions professional for the most part, as both are confident in their abilities and the thought of them being champion by the end of the afternoon.

Using their large umbrellas to protect them from what is quite a heavy downpour in the area, Sandra and Savannah lose the truly childhood experience of running through the rain for fear of being caught. In fact, one would believe that this pair was very used to the rain given their appropriate gear along with their mild temperament in spite of the whipping wind to complete the weather scenario for the morning. Despite it, they are not in much of a hurry right now, given that the production meetings do not begin for about two hours. This time, as suggested by the veteran, Savannah can be used for even more practice leading up to the big show.

“Hey, mom,” Sandra says, deciding at last to open up about her feelings. She does this while the two of them are about two minutes away from the stadium entrance.

“Yes, dear?”

“I have to be honest with you; this morning has been just like walking on eggshells for me.”

“Is this about May and Kelly?” she quickly interjects.

Sandra, for a split second, wondered if her mother was reading her mind, but quickly rid herself of those thoughts to answer, “Yes, ma’am.”

“Sandra, to be honest, I don’t know what there is to discuss.”

“Well, I do!” she counters. “The things you said to both of them, all of which I found completely unfounded, were downright cruel and, dare I say it, bigoted.”

What the daughter spoke to the mother was all done in motion, while the duo were walking along the pathway to the VIP entrance for the stadium, but these comments from Sandra have caused this duo to stop in their tracks with the rain continuing to do a pelting dance on their umbrellas.

Savannah appears as if she’s about to say something to counter what was being told to her by her only child, but instead she walks forward to the stadium saying only as her defense, “You can think whatever you want, Sandra. It’s your right.”

“No, mom! Come on! Don’t try to make this that simple when you know it’s not! You’ve never had a problem with those two before learning about this, but all of a sudden, they're sick and wrong because they want to be together? I don’t get that!”

“There are a lot of things you don’t get, Sandra.”

“Mom, you can’t keep treating me like I’m an innocent little girl for much longer! I’m thirteen and I’ve known about homosexuality for about half of my life. I understand that this is how some people feel inside. How…I don’t get what you mean when you keep saying that ‘I don’t get it’. No! I really think I do, mom! In fact, you know what I think? You don’t get it!”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me. You don’t get it. You just nod or shake your head at every single issue and fail to consider that there are people involved. People just like you that haven’t lived perfect lives, but want to do the best they can, nevertheless. It shouldn’t matter what it is. What really matters is that they are still people, mother, and lesbian or not, that won’t change. The fact that I’m friends with Kelly and May and they’re getting engaged doesn’t change the fact that they are still people and should be treated as such! That’s what you don’t seem to get.”

Savannah doesn’t know, honestly, whether to scold her daughter for essentially yelling at her during the end of her rant or to give her a hug and shake her hand for being exactly right, especially about the part concerning people not living perfect lives. With the dark sky and the clouds combined with the near gale force winds outside, Sandra can’t see a single tear coming out of her mother’s eye which causes her to turn away and softly say, “Maybe I really don’t get it,” before she runs the remainder of the pathway to the tunnel entrance and the security checkpoint.

“Mom!” That’s the only exclamation that comes out of Sandra’s mouth as she follows quickly after her mother to the same entrance asking, essentially pleading, for some explanation as to her leaving their conversation so quickly and without warning. Though she did expect something from her mother, this wasn’t it and it left her with more questions than answers as the first two participants in the Grand Festival enter this modern day coliseum for battle.

As it is, however, the spectators of this sport are bound to be shortchanged by today’s proceedings. Indeed, the action should be of a first class nature and the rain can only help matters in heightening the excitement to come in just a few more hours. No, while the battles on the field will be waged by well-trained, and powerful Pokémon, it is the battles off the field, the ones internally that we wage with ourselves and one another on a more than daily basis that are truly breathtaking, entertaining, exciting and worth going many lengths to see and witness for themselves.

For goodness sakes, let these battles continue!

---------

Your Thoughts?

Last edited:

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
No, I won't even try saying it five times fast. ^__^

Lord Aggron! I'm sure it's great to be back from school!

Thanks for the review and getting all the way to chapter 31. I must say, also, thanks for not forgetting me and this story even though I might have given that I did not reply back to that many of your visitor messages. I apologize.

In any event, thanks for the compliments about characterization. Many do actually say that that's one of my strong points (and have said that for a while, too) and I'm glad you see it, too. Gotta feel for Max. Absolutely have to feel for the kid. He's sixteen and has to deal with this circumstance? And yes, he certainly is a victim.

And you're at chapter 31? Well, prepare yourself for quite a wonderful surprise upcoming. I'm sure you'll love it. Take care and keep on enjoying my work!

Rave The Rich

NOT the other 'Rave'
Chapter 41 is Now Here!

It's been a long time, but here's chapter 41! Hope there's still interest...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4127100/41/All_Roads_Lead_to_the_Grand_Festival

(Chapter 41- Uneasy Like Sunday Morning)

Final preparations are currently in order at the moment as Ash, Paul and Delia plan to party hearty with friends and family as the Grand Festival in Hoenn takes place in just a few hours time. The three have voluntarily taken on different responsibilities this morning to make preparations go smoothly this afternoon. Ash is taking care of items meant to be kept cool, like the drinks and certain salads inside of the coolers. While he does that, Paul is sharing the kitchen with Delia as he makes a crab dip for the occasion and Delia chops up differently colored peppers to put inside of her chef’s salad.

With everyone on the same accord and the two young men knowing that playtime ended about an hour ago, great progress is made as whatever duties weren’t taken care of yesterday have been, for the most part, taken care of now or don’t need to be tended to until guests arrive.

Knowing this, the sound of a ding and a dong doesn’t send Delia into panic, however...

“I got it!” say Ash and Paul in unison as they dash towards the front door, both eager and ready to accept guests for this fine get-together.

After only a couple of seconds, Paul makes it to the door first, insisting that he welcome in the first guests this morning. Opening the door, he finds only one surprise. Sure, Paul knew that his older brother, Reggie, and protégé would be there, but the arrival of Professor Oak, whom he thought would not come until the pre-festival show, caught him off guard if only for a moment.

While Paul seems to have temporarily lost use of his tongue, Ash greets all three males at the door with a call of “Guys! It’s so nice of you all to come here.”

Shaking the hands of the professor, Reggie and his guest, Jamie, Paul gets back to his senses and gives Reggie a hug.

“You’re looking good, man,” the older Marin brother has to admit. “Is Ms. Ketchum feeding you well?”

“I’ll put it this way; every night, I go to bed feeling like I’m a stuffed pig,” he answers. “She’s a fantastic cook and it’s been just great living with her and Ash these last few weeks. It…kind of reminded me of how we’d do that same thing with Conway way back when.”

“Ah, I wondered when some of our guests would come through!” exclaims Delia as she heard the commotion at the door. Joining the crowd of gentlemen of varying ages, the first thing she notices is the face she’s never seen until now. It’s the face of a young boy, who appears to be around two-thirds the height of Ash. He’s got skin the tone of a light rust brown with neatly gelled jet black hair darker than her own son. His eyes, again, reminded her of him so much as they were also brown with thin pupils square in the middle. He came dressed casually, but neatly in a scarlet red collared shirt and khaki shorts with leather sandals.

Reggie did speak of bringing a young boy to the house and through logic; she makes the point, “So this must be the young man that that I’ve heard so much about in recent days.”

Paul, the mentor of this young kid for the past year or so, says “Jamie, this is the woman that I’ve been staying with for the last month and she’s Ash’s mom. Say hello to Ms. Ketchum.”

Well, any friend or family member of Ash’s had to be a good person, right? After all, she welcomed her home to Paul, who he’s explained had his share of difficulties with Ash. Jamie needed no further convincing as seen by the way he walks over to the middle-aged woman and brings out his right hand. “It’s very nice meeting you, Ms. Ketchum, and I should say that Ash talks about you all the time when he’s in Veilstone.”

“It’s nice meeting you too, Jamie,” she replies. Looking at the young man closely, the thought she had when she first saw him didn’t leave her head.

To Jamie she appears to be spaced out, but there’s only one way for him to be sure. “Ms. Ketchum, are you all right?”

These words break the trance and Delia is left a bit embarrassed because everyone around her is staring into her eyes to see if she is telling the truth or not. “Oh forgive me, everyone. It’s just that—Professor, look at Jamie and tell me that he doesn’t remind you of a certain someone.”

Not expecting that, the professor nevertheless obliges with the request and takes a good look at Jamie to see that Delia is very much onto something. “Ah, yes. A near splitting image of someone we all know and love.”

“Who’s that?” Ash questions, not really following the words of his mom or mentor.

“Well, Ash, have you ever taken a moment to look at Jamie for yourself?” Professor Oak asks his protégé. “I mean, Delia had to point it out for me but after I saw it, I thought it was quite obvious. One look into his eyes and you can see that he looks quite a bit like you.”

Ash quickly shrugs off much of the notion of that mentioned similarity by saying, “Well…somewhat. I won’t rule it out, but I think you could say that about a lot of nine-year-olds; that they look like someone they know from their past. People say that all the time, you know?”

“I guess,” Delia admits. “Say, Jamie. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your nationality?”

“I don’t mind,” Jamie replies, though the subject leads to something quite depressing but nowhere near as it should be given his unique situation. “Even though I never knew my mom or dad, my…orphanage has all the information and they gave it to me because I won’t ever see them...or know them for myself.” Despite the light murmurs from those who don’t know the story behind this young man, he continues, saying. “My dad was Scottish and my mom was a Filipina, so I’m of mixed race.”

“Oh wow,” are the words whispered from Delia before admitting what Ash already knows. “Ash’s father was Filipino and Japanese. That’s…that’s very interesting, Jamie.”

“Thanks,” he says, being polite and not thinking much of his nationality or it being anything but a part of him.

“Mom!” Ash exclaims. “For goodness sake, it’s probably just coincidence, you know?”

“It’s a small world,” Reggie responds, not believing the connections that are happening between people both known and unknown. “I mean, Jamie wasn’t even gonna come here, at first, but Paul wanted to know if he wanted to spend the weekend out of the boys’ home during spring break…”

“Reggie, please don’t call it that,” he scolds the much older male to the surprise of the others by the doorway. “Nobody knows what that means and that name is only used because ‘orphanage’ is now politically incorrect, but surprise! Everyone knows what that means!”

Seeing that his ‘little brother’ is a bit peeved because Reggie forgot about his feelings of his current lot in life, Paul decides to take some initiative and test out some skills. “Jamie,” he says, signaling for the boy to come to his direction, “could you come here for a second? We’ll just talk alone for a minute.”

Following the instructions of his mentor, Master Coley walks in Paul’s direction. Paul, who is situated by the steps, drops down to the younger boy’s level and speaks with him, saying, “I’m not mad at you and I’m not gonna yell, Jamie. Anyone that spends a few minutes with you couldn’t do that. It’s just that being mad at Reggie isn’t something you should make a habit.”

“I’m not mad at Reggie,” Jamie clarifies. “I just don’t like the fact that he isn’t honest about this stuff. I know more about this situation than he ever could. He’s…overly enthusiastic about moments in my life and I get the wrong impression because things aren’t the way I’d want them to be; not by a long shot.”

“Well, that’s my brother for you,” Paul responds, especially noticing the wardrobe of his young protégé. “Even though he can be over the top, it’s better than having a stick in the mud and…he can be cool to hang around with, right?”

“He is, but I’m…I’m just different when it comes to this, Paul. With my folks situation being what it is and me essentially living alone my entire life with neither of my parents, you become very protective of the truth. It’s no fun there. It never is, and the people running it know that, too! They call it a youth prison without the cells and jumpsuits away from the other kids. Having the two of you as mentors is nice, but…you know what I’ve always needed in my life, Paul.”

Nodding, he does understand. Paul knows that above all else, this kid, who will turn ten over the summer, wants a family to call his own. But families are only often interested in younger kids, such as infants and toddlers, leaving Jamie left with nothing but a bunk bed and a single pillow to look forward to during most nights. “It’s tough,” he sympathizes. “I couldn’t even imagine that and I’ve been without my mom for over twelve years, but if you keep a positive attitude no matter what, I think you’ll find it’ll come back to you. Do you know of something called karma, Jamie?”

“Uh,” he begins, thinking about it, “I remember something about things that go around and come around.”

“That’s about right,” Paul answers. “The saying is ‘what goes around comes around,’ which generally means what you give is what you get. So when you are good to people, when you show good behavior and act in a positive way, you should expect to get that same feeling given back towards you from other people. Of course, the same can be said if one were to act out negatively and surly to the world and the people around him. They’ll get their attitude thrown back at them. Do you understand?”

“Yeah and…I didn’t mean to act like that to your brother.”

“I know you didn’t, kiddo,” Paul states. “Reggie might seem…extreme at times, but he means well. I mean, he wants you to have a family as much as I do and that’s as true as things can get.”

“You’re right,” Jamie admits. “I kind of…lost my head there.”

“Don’t worry about it, little man. It happens to all of us,” he replies giving him a hug. “Now, we’re gonna set a few more things up before the party begins. Do you wanna see Ash’s room? I could probably give you a tour I’ve seen it enough times. How does that sound?”

“Cool!”

“I thought so. Hey, Ash!” Paul says out loud. “Could you lead Jamie through a tour of your room and other parts of the house while we wrap things up with the party?”

It sounded like a fine idea and if Paul didn’t suggest it right here and now, he would’ve led the nine-year-old to his room some point that day for a tour. “All right,” Ash replies. “I think we’re just about done with setting up, so I’ll give him the crash tour and show him some of my devices and trophies that I’ve acquired over the years. You’ll be fine with me showing Jamie around, right?”

“Yeah. Like you said, we’re just about done with things in the kitchen,” Delia responds. “Go ahead and we can talk some more about things later before the tournament begins.” With these words, Ash and Paul lead young Jamie up the stairs so that he can have a look at all that one of his unofficial mentors has accomplished as a Pokémon trainer. When the three head up the stairs, Delia does her best to make sure that her son, his boyfriend and their young friend do not hear her words. “He’s…an interesting young boy.”

“He’s been through quite a bit,” Reggie says, not revealing the whole story without the permission of Jamie, “and while that does still leave him quite rough around the edges, he’s really a kid just looking for a family. Who couldn’t get behind something like that?”

“I agree,” Professor Oak replies. “Perhaps we can talk about this some more in the kitchen. I don’t know if I want to be around him speaking about these matters. It could trigger ill effects.”

“You’re absolutely right, professor,” Reggie answers. “Let’s take this in the kitchen,” he adds, claiming that he isn’t sure if he should say these things, but also noting, “What Jamie doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

---------

Few would be surprised to know that there was some level of uneasiness in the Zarkowski/Treanoir hotel at the time. After the experienced swingers and the ‘virgin’ couple did all that they did last night and into this morning, few would be surprised. Conway and Holly never thought that they would explore bodies and experience sex quite that way in their young lives.

They did everything. At least, that’s what it felt like when they got out of bed and said their good mornings to one another and also noticed that their partners weren’t in the bed with them and could hear water running in the bathroom that didn’t sound like it was coming from a sink.

For some time, they weren’t able to say much to each other while retrieving their clothes from random spots in the room. With the exception of Conway noticing that Holly’s armband is off and she’s exposing her tattoo, not much is heard or spoken outside of the sound of flowing water. “Holly, you’re showing…”

“I’m not worried about that, Conway,” she admits while the two get out of bed and gather their clothes to head back to their room, change and check out. “It’s not like they don’t already know about Kieran. I pretty much bore my soul to them without talking about names because her family has gone through enough hell without people asking questions to them all the time…or me. There’s no need for anyone outside of a few people to know this because it’s my business and my business alone. Not even my folks know, at least I think, how I felt about Kieran. My secret…died with her and that’s how it should stay.”

Putting on his pants while listening to every word, he agrees with Holly’s notion. “You’re right about that. Talk about opening up a whole new can of worms while you’re at the height of popularity, about to head overseas for tournaments and…why do people really need to know? She wasn’t special to them at all and she was very special to you. I can’t think of a much better argument for how special she was to you than if she had not gotten into that accident, you probably would still be with Kieran.”

“That’s not a slight in your direction, though,” Holly clarifies, “but—you know that and we’ve talked about this all the time. It is what it is. I’ve gone through counseling and I’ve come to terms with her death, but…that doesn’t mean that I’m over it, though,” she admits as the shower water sounds as if it’s stopped. “I loved her, but I can’t live in the past. I love you now and…am honored that you would respect my wishes all this time even while I continue to have these feelings and express my deep-seeded feelings for other girls.”

“It only makes sense, Holly,” he replies. “It’s not been quite like that for me, but having known Paul since milk and cookies were an appropriate after school snack, it’s been in the back of my mind. It hasn’t so much as stared me in the face as it has pricked me in the back and reminded me ‘I’m here. Don’t deny it because I’m a part of you,’ but I really haven’t. I just didn’t know what to do about it until now and until you brought it to my attention as calmly as you could that you wanted to know what it felt like to have sex with another girl.”

“A pretty…unique conversation that was.”

“Yeah, but I thank you for bringing it up because…wow!” Conway remarks as he knows no other words accurate enough to describe what last night was like for him. “Kenny was passed out there for a second, you and Zoey made the sixty-nine look awesome and convinced Kenny to do the same with us even though we were into some real hardcore ****ing. They know their stuff, I’ll say that much. I learned a ton and I felt the connection that we had grow even stronger because we were there and living out our…for lack of a better word, fantasies.”

“Yeah, I know,” Holly speaks. For a few seconds, though, she and Conway keep silent as they are now completely dressed. She wonders if the people in the bathroom are hearing what she’s saying. Talking so blatantly and explicitly about sex is not one of her strongest points, but not doing so elicits a reaction that she didn’t expect.

“Well, go on,” says a young man coming out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist and covering everything below that. “I sort of liked that conversation you were having there.”

“Kenny!” Holly exclaims, taken somewhat by surprise.

“We’re you expecting Valentino?”

“Well, no…but I didn’t think that you’d be up so early after we did so much.” Holly makes the point that, “I’m beat! We did a lot!”

“Do it enough safely and you’ll get used to it,” replies Zoey, wearing a black towel above her bust line before going over to her luggage and picking out an appropriate outfit for this afternoon’s festivities. “Besides, Kenny and I are sort of in a hurry because we have to do some promotional work for the next Grand Festival in the Orange Islands this May.”

“Yeah, leave it to the elite and illuminated folks in the contest offices to plan forward and think about the next big event to come.”

“Well, that’s true,” Zoey speaks to Kenny, “not to mention the fact that we’re the main participants in that Grand Festival in the eyes of Contesta and the others. So while May, Dawn, Marina, Solana, Ruby and the rest are competing today, we’ll be hocking the next big show.”

As Zoey continues to go through her bag, Kenny further explains, “Before two o’clock in the afternoon, we’ll be doing interviews with all the big networks. Fuji, Sky Sports, ESPN, TSN, and Fox Sports are just a few of the networks that are gonna be covering it and because we’re two of the biggest names at the festival, they think we’ll bring some nice promotion to the sport because of that.”

“Well, if nothing else,” Conway figures, “you two are quite outspoken and will put a nice spin on things. What time do you have to do these interviews?”

“About nine o’clock, which is an hour from now,” Kenny says, now going over to his bags to find something suitable to wear for this meeting with the press. “So we have to get dressed and check out because after this, we’re guests at one of the after parties and from there…it’s probably back home for us, right Zoey?”

“If we don’t go to my home then we’re probably going your way to Twinleaf come Tuesday,” Zoey answers.

“Why not back to the Orange Islands?”

“Because, Holly, we’ve each already gotten our five ribbons,” Kenny responds. “So there’s no need to do that until we go back there to acclimate our Pokémon to the different weather for a week or so, but before that we’re all gonna just relax and then get into some intense but gradual training by late-March.”

“Two months of training for the Grand Festival?”

“Not every waking hour will be spent on training, mind you,” Zoey replies, while she gets her black tie on and around the collar of her white, buttoned-down shirt. “There are rules that we have to follow, after all. Practice too much and we could forfeit our entries, so Kenny and I are gonna be taking on some…unorthodox training techniques in the next few weeks.”

“Some of it is bound to get physical,” Kenny admits while putting on his khaki pants, “but most of it is designed to get our friends acclimated to the competition they’ll have to face in late-May.”

“So there we have it,” Zoey declares as she sees her boyfriend and herself sporting like tuxedos prior to their meeting with the media. “Are your bags packed?” she asks, referring to Conway and Holly. “I ask that because the two of us are out of here as soon as we leave.”

“We didn’t bring bags to this room,” Holly clarifies, “but our clothes are on and we can leave whenever, right Conway?”

“Yeah, whenever you’re ready. When we get back to our room, I think the plan is for us to shower and get dressed for the elimination rounds. We were invited to skybox number two by May and Kelly, though, so that’s where we’re gonna be located right after we leave and check out of our own hotel.”

“All right, then. We’ll see if we can’t join the two of you there after we finish this business.”

“Sounds like a plan, Kenny,” Holly speaks. “Remember, we’ll be in skybox number two.”

“Number two; I’ve got it and we’ll be there,” Zoey replies, getting her umbrella for the walk over to the stadium. “Kenny, do you know where we have to meet the press?”

“Yeah, it’s in press room ‘C’ at the box level. I’m not exactly sure but once there, I think the skyboxes are on that same level so we can join Kelly and you guys up there by then.”

“All right, then. We’re about to shut things down here, Conway and Holly.” Zoey says while she carries her suitcase and Kenny does the same for his own. While she would like to say a few more things to Holly and talk to her about a theory and an idea that she has, she knows that there is no time for such conversation right now. Once her hands become untied and she no longer has these obligations to tend to, she can speak with her, but now is just not the time. “And, again, once the press gets our fill of us, we’ll do our best to meet everyone in box two.”

“Thanks,” Conway responds. “I got the feeling that Kelly would like nothing more than for all of us to be there supporting May and this…is a united sign of us doing exactly that.”

“Plus it’ll be cool to sit in a skybox,” Kenny adds. “You know all of the amenities that you get when you’re up there in the box watching big tournaments?”

Shrugging his shoulders, he admits, “I’ve heard some stories.”

“Everything’s free,” the youngest of the four teases, “and not to mention that Slateport has several three and four-star chefs are there preparing all three meals of the day for the participants and their guests. I’d say more—about a lot of things that took place here and will take place, but like Zoey said, we’re in a rush,” he says while zipping his bags for the weekend. “It’s time, guys.”

Indeed, it is time for them to move to the next step. Whether that step is promoting the next big Grand Festival Championship or going up with friends to the skybox of the Slateport Stadium to watch the big event play out before their eyes, it was a new step for the four of them beyond what took place several hours ago in the beds. For some, things have changed as their eyes have been opened to the possibilities of new heights being reached in the conquest of sexual pleasure and awakening.

For others, few things have changed. Life and love will go on and so will certain folks who haven’t necessarily grown immune to the concept of coitus, but have a different perspective on the act the closer they get to nature. Either way, their out of hotel room 832 with the door locked, shaking hands and promising one another that this would not be the last time that they would see one another today.

---------

There they lay; the five of them in their ranger uniforms sleeping in what appeared to be random places on the bed. Kellyn, Lunick, Solana, Jackie and Spenser sleep in their shared room with Spenser the only one inside the covers, appearing to get some semblance of a good night’s sleep after Saturday never seemed to come to an end.

The crew knew that by virtue of their female compatriot’s work, they would be guaranteed a hefty return on the one thousand dollar investment that all five of them made to enter the tournament. To celebrate this happening, the five went to a bar and stayed all night, drinking to their heart’s content of bourbon, whiskey, cocktails, and Keystone beer with the lone exception being Spenser, who while having some drinks did not go overboard by anyone’s imagination.

He appears to be the only one to drink responsibly and fall fast asleep despite the possibilities of a hangover, though, as Jackie is lying across his waist and Lunick is by the foot of the bed, flirting with the possibility of rolling and falling down to the ground. On the other bed, things aren’t nearly as crowded but have quite an awkward appearance as Kellyn lies on the side of the sole female comrade and has his right arm wrapped around her body like a pillow or a nearby lover.

She doesn’t seem to notice this and none of the five rangers do either as the heavy rain showers fall just outside their window. They know that Solana has to be up and ready for a production meeting early in the morning, so the alarm clock is set for fifteen minutes before seven o’clock for a planned eight o’clock powwow.

Then, as the storm outside of their window continues to rage, another sound of great impact reverberates, but only within their room as the alarm clock tells the rangers that it is now 6:45 in the morning and it’s time for them, especially Solana, to get up. Spencer can hear it, but given how late he and his team members went to bed, he more or less ignores it thinking that the sound is just in his head like a bad dream where he has no choice but to wake up. On this occasion, though, he chooses otherwise.

His team has a slightly different reaction to the alarm. The first among them to hear it is Lunick, and it becomes very clear that he’s had too much to drink when the first thing he does is moan while grabbing his temples causing his body to tilt to the very end of the bed.

Lunick’s body thumps against the carpet and that causes his four comrades to begin stirring as he continues to moan and regret taking multiple shots of whiskey and vodka mere hours before now. Solana has now heard the ringing of what sounds like the alarm for about a minute combined with the moaning of her fellow Fiore region comrade and decides that since her ‘reliable’ teammates aren’t going to turn off the clock, she’ll do it.

The young lady makes this decision before opening her eyes to find the youngest member of this team, eighteen-year-old Kellyn, next to her like her favorite teddy bear. For a passing second, she found the image of the young man to be charming and cute, but quickly snapped back to reality when the rank stench of ethanol became very apparent on his mouth. “Oh, you’ve gotta be kidding me! And he told me that he’d watch what he’d drink to boot!” Solana then goes to remove the dead weight off of her athletic frame to no avail. Kellyn kept in fine condition just like her and was not going anywhere without the forces of nature conspiring in some fashion. Not knowing of any other strategy, she yells “Kellyn, get off of me!” hoping to get the message across her likely hung-over teammate.

“Huh?” he droopily questions as his eyes slowly open and he finds that he’s tightly wrapped around his comrade like a lover. He’d back away, claim it as a mistake and apologize until his mouth went dry, but he just stayed there out of pure shock knowing that he found himself deep inside of this kettle of worms.

At the moment he was about to snap back to himself, his commander just had to make a snide comment as he rolled Jackie out of his way. “Hey, Kellyn. Congrats on making it to second base with Solana!”

Not caring much for the sexism or the smell of the hardest of spirits in the room, Solana scoffs before shoving Kellyn across the bed and down to the floor, onto the crawling but ignored Lunick, cushioning his fall at the expense of the older male ranger’s back.

“Oh, goddamn it!” Lunick exclaims as he feels a weight, albeit lighter than his own, crash onto his back. When Kellyn rolls off him, his injured colleague turns his head and looks over to his left. He’s landed by the bathroom door where his fallen friend’s frame lies with him on the carpet. “What gives, Kellyn?”

“It wasn’t me, ‘Nick,” he wearily responds. “Solana pushed me off the bed.”

Working to get up off the floor, Lunick asks Kellyn, “And why did she push you off the bed?”

“Because,” Solana answers for Kellyn, “it’s time for me to head to the stadium. That’s why we set the alarm, right?”

“It’s time to go?” Jackie questions, his interests suddenly peaked by this revelation of sorts from his teammate. “Then let’s hurry up! Come on! Time and money is wastin’! Where’s my shirt!”

“God, you’re one to talk, man!” Kellyn screams out as he attempts to stand up straight while finding a clean uniform to put on for later. “The alarm gave us an hour before we have to be at the stadium, the stadium walk is less than five minutes from the hotel and the money will come when it comes, so settle down!”

While the alarm in the room continues to sound, Solana gets more peeved at her male comrades who seem to lose more than their heads when they get hammered. Getting out of bed, she walks over to Kellyn and takes off what he thinks is one of his uniforms, proclaiming, “Damn idiot, this is mine! Can’t you tell the difference?”

“Wait, really?” he asks her, having no clue that the uniform he picked up was Solana’s until he notices that held up against her chest, it comes down to her waist. “Oh, son of a gun. It is yours.”

“First it’s treating me like I’m a stuffed animal and then you try to put on my clothing? Seriously, what’s wrong with you guys?”

“It’s too much hanging out with their good friends; Jack Daniels and Jim Beam,” Spenser interjects to the ardent dismay of Solana who huffs on her way to the bathroom and, according to him, might’ve softly directed a slur in his direction; apparently for his flippantly snide remark.

While all this goes on, no one in the room even bothered to turn off the alarm, which has now been going for about five minutes. As Lunick, Jackie and Kellyn do their best to get the cobwebs out of their respective systems, he alleviates their apparent head pains by turning off the alarm and turning on the television to catch the local news and weather before heading out later that morning to the skybox; complimentary for Grand Festival finalists’ friends and relatives…including, as the guide told him, gourmet cuisine, high-definition televisions and a minibar.

‘What a day this has already been,’ he concludes as a forecast of nothing but heavy rain showers shows up on the Sunday morning newscast.

---------

Your Thoughts?