• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All That Glitters Is Not Golden! (449)

Crystal Clair

This was a good episode!
I love gold
The trainer was really cute (and I mean like a new addition to my male hunk shrine cute)
And they played an interesting song where they had the Battle Frontier lyrics in it. I love Akina! *_* wish she'd sing more openings.
7/10

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Especially since a pure gold robe would give him major neck and shoulder pains.

PDL

disenchanted
not sure what to make of this episode...

some of the jokes were amusing, especially the Zelda homage, but otherwise it's just like a Jotho filler...

any mention of the Crystal Onix?

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The cliché trainer/pokémon relationship plot with added Team Rocket mecha ruined this one as far as I'm concerned. Sudowoodo isn't about friendship and trust. Sudowoodo is about insane, pointless antics and disturbing phallic oddities.
Team Rocket and the Sudowoodo flailing around in mid run ( & the animation I suppose) saved this from being total garbage. And in the end, both factors provided me with a few laughs, which means this didn't fall flat on it's face. Jessie going for a spot of underwater jetpack fishing and Sudo waving to all the burly looking cowpoke in the bar before fleeing like a madman were some of the better highlights.

Just to note, that alternate 'Battle Frontier' song near the end was really nice sounding.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
V Faction said:
This episode was DEAD before it got out of the water. Poor Sudowoodo.

Now make like a tree and DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH. OF PAIN.

I can see why you said that after seeing the pics. Reeks of mid-Johto.

I bet the image of Onix was in referrence to Olivine City's Janina's Onyx when she covered it in something (polish?) to repel water.

ZoraJolteon

King of the Marsh
Onix was show evolving into Steelix, as Brock likened it to how the machine turned Sudowoodo into gold in a similar way.

<3 Ballard Battle Frontier.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
ZoraJolteon said:
Onix was show evolving into Steelix, as Brock likened it to how the machine turned Sudowoodo into gold in a similar way.

<3 Ballard Battle Frontier.
Hmmm...I thought as such.

WhoaCrap, now my hopes are high for Onix to have evolved when the gang get to Pewter City. I know it's a tad shaky, but they're so close to Pewter and Onix has yet to do ANYTHING. At least as a Steelix it would look cool D:

WhoaCrap, now my hopes are high for Onix to have evolved when the gang get to Pewter City. I know it's a tad shaky, but they're so close to Pewter and Onix has yet to do ANYTHING. At least as a Steelix it would look cool D:
Well, it WAS Brock's starter Pokémon. I guess anything's possible...but Onix before GEODUDE(by now, it really should be a Graveler)?! ...Oh, great. Now you've got me doing it.-_-; And last time I strayed away from a subject I got yelled at somewhat. Back to the topic, guys~!

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Rocket Dan (as well as the premiere of the new ending, maybe Ballade Battle Frontier too) are definitely to thank for keeping this episode from being complete s***. The scene where Musashi gets Usokkii with a jet pack while wearing a wet suit, the return beam hitting Musashi, and even that bonzai mecha was better than I expected it'd be from the preview (I thought the way it says its name was pretty funny). Also, concerning that "Zelda" reference, I think there's something similar in the Harvest Moon games, and .hack to a lesser extent. I'm not sure, but I think there's some kind of myth about a lake goddess that rewards you if you honestly tell her you tossed something in there. Can anyone confirm this?

.Combusken. said:

Hmmm...I thought as such.

The hell are ya talkin' about? Iwark was probably the most useful Pokemon Takeshi ever had given its girth, and as far as any of his Pokemon go, it was used quite a bit. Besides, we all know that, with Takeshi and Jirou so determined on keeping Nibi Gym a gym that specializes in rock-types, there's no way in hell it's gonna evolve.

The only reason Takeshi brought up Iwark evolving into Haganeil is because he was comparing the golden Usokkii as being a rock-type that turned into a steel-type.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
All right, now we officially know what happens when somebody jumps in front of a Pokeball's return beam. They get zapped and paralyzed.

It was primarily the comedy bits that saved this episode from mediocrity. The ballad varation of Battle Frontier at the end was nice, and even made for a nice emotional touch.

In terms of what town they decided to rip off this week, it had various vibes of the first Squirtle Squad episode. Someone get a framegrab and compare.

And is it me, or is Sudowoodo less than half the height it used to be? The one in Johto towered over Brock, yet this one was about as tall as Max.

Also, the intro was a bit different this week, not counting the inclusiuon of Hinata and Jackie. There were various sound effects not present before.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It was a good episode, because it served it's purpose well.

This was meant to be the "breather" between all the heavy plot stuff going on. The Anabel 2-parter, the Ranger/Deoxys 2-parter, the Harley/Jessie Contest 2-parter, and the future TR disbandment episode as well as the Pewter Gym ep.

Since there are quite a lot of 2-parters and other important plot focused episodes around this, this was nice to have as a "breather" between these arcs.

I enjoyed it, but since I don't understand a lick of Japanese I can't pass judgement on it till I see the dub....a year from now.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
S.Suikun said:
And is it me, or is Sudowoodo less than half the height it used to be? The one in Johto towered over Brock, yet this one was about as tall as Max.
Nope.

Sudowoodo is 3' 11", which makes it shorter than most 10 year olds. Shortie D:

JazzJazz

S.Suikun said:

As far as I know, sudowoodo isn't that tall... so the one shown to be around Max's height (in this episode) would be more accurate, correct?

Geodude

Different Pokemon can obviously be different heights and sizes. Age and I guess different genes would be obvious reasons. Remember that unusually large Onix from To Master the Onixpected? Heck, even May's Bulbasaur is slightly smaller than Ash's. And Brock's Mudkip was bigger than all of the other Mudkip at the...um, place where he got it. :p

V Faction

www.faction.com
Geodude said:
Different Pokemon can obviously be different heights and sizes. Age and I guess different genes would be obvious reasons. Remember that unusually large Onix from To Master the Onixpected? Heck, even May's Bulbasaur is slightly smaller than Ash's. And Brock's Mudkip was bigger than all of the other Mudkip at the...um, place where he got it. :p
Now, we all know that this answer is pretty much the biggest bull**** there is when it comes to Pokemon sizes.... but he's basically right people. =P

I rather like that older picture of Brock and Sudowoodo. It... it makes me wants Bonsly to evolve now! Fat chance of that ever happening any time soon.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Geodude said:
Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't those newly hatched baby Mudkip? He was running a Breeding Farm that was filled with baby Mudkip, and Brock's Mudkip was far older than them, so it would obviously be larger...

JazzJazz

.Combusken. said:
Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't those newly hatched baby Mudkip? He was running a Breeding Farm that was filled with baby Mudkip, and Brock's Mudkip was far older than them, so it would obviously be larger...

I believe you're correct, Brock's mudkip seemed to be the one that looked after all of the babies...

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
.Combusken. said:

...exactly? :p That's the point, Pokemon change size as they grow older.

So it's not a shiny then? Poop. The way they did it was really lame. So this kid is a genius who made a machine that accidently changed his Sudowoodo's skin color? Um, okay.

I like Ballad Battle Frontier, but for a serious ep. That was the problem with this one, the corniness that led to sunset ending #250. If the entire thing was humor, it would have been great.

The humor we did get was hilarious though. The entire scene around the lake until Ash-tachi popped up was hilarious. Characters getting larger heads for a few seconds and characters randomly being dressed into something different before you can blink for the win once again.

I seriously hate the TR mecha. :O

ArrEmmDee

That Mecha was stupid--I think the eyes bothered me or something. And Sudowoodo's voice seriously annoyed me, but TR was freaking hilarious this episode.

So I'm guessing Pokémon have a different cellular structure from humans, and the minute hesitation from when they turn completely red to being pulled in is to check if this cell structure is of a Pokémon or something else, and only pulls them in if it's analyzed as positive. In Jessie's case, she was obviously rejected, and I guess she wasn't able to move since, well, all her cells were just analyzed. Hm?

Alopec

Still Dreaming...
This episode was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. I laughed out loud quite a few times, especially at Team Rocket. For some reason watching the Sudowoodo/Bonsly interaction also amused me.

I actually felt kind of bad for the CotD, though I didn't really understand what he was trying to do with that machine. o_O