• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All the buzz about remakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
While the Gameboy Color was technically superior to the Gameboy the differences between the gameplay is not big enough to warrant calling it the next generation. An example of a next generation Handheld at the time would be the Neo Geo Pocket or The Wonder Swan both released around the same time of the gameboy color and had considerably superior hardware and battery life just as good as the gameboy. If the Gameboy Color was meant to be the next gen predessor to the gameboy Nintendo would have made it much more powerful than it was.

Gameplay, what? What does how the developers made their game have to do with the system? The SYSTEMS determine the generation NOT THAT GAMES. Just because a developer didn't change the gameplay doesn't mean the graphics and how everything ran just don't exist. Pokemon has always been the same gameplay. So are you now going to argue that we never left the GameBoy era?

Zezzl

Awaiting 5th Gen...
Theres too many Hints at it in D&P, There absolutely has to be a Remake, And I'd support it the whole way, I Love Johto :D

Weavile247

I used to be pretty skeptical about this whole thing too, but now more than ever there have been so many hints. It is almost bound to happen

Blazing Charmander

Right, i'm all for the enthusiasm towards the possibility of GS remakes, but I also feel that this thread's gotten a little stale and repetitive with the same comments. What would be pleasing to see is some speculation about what you'd like to see in remakes.

So to provoke some thoughts, here's a question:

How do you think the Team Rocket storyline should be handled? Should it be left unchanged? Tweaked a little? Or completely rehashed?

My opinion is that it should be tweaked a lot. Although I never gave it much thought when playing through the games at first, I have come to realise that the plot is pathetic. Whereas their successors - Team Magma/Aqua and Team Galactic - had fully fleshed out plots, and even the Team Rocket of R/B/Y were menacing, we didn't reach a satisfying climax to their story in GSC. We learn of their desire to lure Giovanni back from 'training' through the means of their 'radio-wave evolution' project, but upon defeating them in the Radio Tower, we hear hardly anything of them again except for that one guy in Cerulean.

I believe this could be rectified in remakes by bringing the Giovanni-Silver subplot to the fore for one. FR/LG strongly suggested that your red-haired rival is in fact Giovanni's son, and it'd be cool to see this followed up. In GSC, we learnt that Silver detested Team Rocket, and sought to bring them down. However, we didn't learn anything more and I think that remakes could help to clarify this. Of course, i'd like to see their main objective of induced Pokemon evolution expanded on too, as well as a more threatening interim administration.

How do you guys think that Team Rocket should be handled if remakes arise?

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Right, i'm all for the enthusiasm towards the possibility of GS remakes, but I also feel that this thread's gotten a little stale and repetitive with the same comments. What would be pleasing to see is some speculation about what you'd like to see in remakes.

So to provoke some thoughts, here's a question:

How do you think the Team Rocket storyline should be handled? Should it be left unchanged? Tweaked a little? Or completely rehashed?

My opinion is that it should be tweaked a lot. Although I never gave it much thought when playing through the games at first, I have come to realise that the plot is pathetic. Whereas their successors - Team Magma/Aqua and Team Galactic - had fully fleshed out plots, and even the Team Rocket of R/B/Y were menacing, we didn't reach a satisfying climax to their story in GSC. We learn of their desire to lure Giovanni back from 'training' through the means of their 'radio-wave evolution' project, but upon defeating them in the Radio Tower, we hear hardly anything of them again except for that one guy in Cerulean.

I believe this could be rectified in remakes by bringing the Giovanni-Silver subplot to the fore for one. FR/LG strongly suggested that your red-haired rival is in fact Giovanni's son, and it'd be cool to see this followed up. In GSC, we learnt that Silver detested Team Rocket, and sought to bring them down. However, we didn't learn anything more and I think that remakes could help to clarify this. Of course, i'd like to see their main objective of induced Pokemon evolution expanded on too, as well as a more threatening interim administration.

Again, if we have a remake, it'll be like Fr/Lg. There will be one extra area, and one extra villain plot. Also, since the pokemon games will influence Pokemon Special, a better question is what will happen to Pryce.

In the G/S/C PokeSpecial Arc, Pryce made peace with his past, accomplished his goal of reuniting his pokemon and their baby, and wished Gold luck in his life. After that, seeing as how Gold was the only one who came out of the Ilex Shrine by the force of his will to live, we can assume Pryce died inside of the Voids of Time (He had no protection from the GS Ball or Celebi). And PokeSpecial won't just revive the character for no reason.

So that means we have an unoccupied gymleader seat, and a possible new character.

However, since G/S/C PokeSpecial was never released in America, that will cause a mass confusion as Pryce will have disappeared.

Unless, of course, Viz decides to go further in the translation of the PokeSpecial Manga.

The Red

Again, if we have a remake, it'll be like Fr/Lg. There will be one extra area, and one extra villain plot.

So far, the Pokemon RPG series has only had 1 set of remakes, meaning it’s too early to claim that a pattern exists. In other words, assuming a Johto remake does happen, it may or may not follow the same formula as the FR/LG remake.

A remake of Johto could very well encompass a fully-fledged Johto region, and possibly even a revamped version of Kanto, which would be just as refreshing as a new area. Alternatively, Kanto may be removed altogether, thus allowing Johto to reach its full potential.

I’m not too concerned about the plot for any Pokemon game, but it would definitely be nice to see Silver confront Giovanni in a sub-plot.

zipzap713

@Peteyism

I think the TR storyline, should be tweaked to the point that it makes a bit more sense, and is more fluid. A bit more TR plot and better plot connections is all that is really needed. I don't care if Silver confronts Giovanni since that would be rather odd to have carry out, and we don't truly "know" that Silver is Giovanni's son. Also, Giovanni wasn't in GSC, so having him return is straying a bit far from the set path.

Zazie

So 1991
Gameplay, what? What does how the developers made their game have to do with the system? The SYSTEMS determine the generation NOT THAT GAMES. Just because a developer didn't change the gameplay doesn't mean the graphics and how everything ran just don't exist. Pokemon has always been the same gameplay. So are you now going to argue that we never left the GameBoy era?

Sorry the gameplay wasn't the word I was looking for. Replace it with wahtever word you use to denote that a game is more technologically advanced than another. Anyway comparing the GBC and the Gameboy hardware is like comparing the NES to the Master system, while one is a bit more powerful than the other they are still part of the 8 bit era. The GBC is an 8 bit system just like the Gameboy. It's competitors at the time the Neo Geo Pocket and Wonder Swan were 16 bit and had a comparable battery life and price tag. If Nintendo truly intended for the GBC to be the next gen Predecessor to the gameboy it would have been much more powerful than it was. The reason they didn't make it that powerful was probably because they were working on the Gameboy advance at the time and released the GBC just to keep sales continuing until the the GBA came out, a lot like what Sega's goals were when they released the 32X. (of course this part is just a theory)

Anyway to make my point is the GBC was a slighly upgraded version of a handheld whose hardware was out of date. It offered little more than color graphics over it's predecessor. It's competitors were already ahead of it technology-wise. It was shortly replaced by a new handheld which had far superior hardware. Can explain how any of this equates to it being a next gen handheld at the time?

I think they should keep the team rocket storyline and just add to it. I liked the team rocket storyline but it would be good if they made a little longer. A few minor tweaks would be fine too but nothing major. You did mention the rival in your post, I think it might be a good idea to have him interact with team rocket a little bit more.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry the gameplay wasn't the word I was looking for. Replace it with wahtever word you use to denote that a game is more technologically advanced than another. Anyway comparing the GBC and the Gameboy hardware is like comparing the NES to the Master system, while one is a bit more powerful than the other they are still part of the 8 bit era. The GBC is an 8 bit system just like the Gameboy. It's competitors at the time the Neo Geo Pocket and Wonder Swan were 16 bit and had a comparable battery life and price tag. If Nintendo truly intended for the GBC to be the next gen Predecessor to the gameboy it would have been much more powerful than it was. The reason they didn't make it that powerful was probably because they were working on the Gameboy advance at the time and released the GBC just to keep sales continuing until the the GBA came out, a lot like what Sega's goals were when they released the 32X. (of course this part is just a theory)

Anyway to make my point is the GBC was a slighly upgraded version of a handheld whose hardware was out of date. It offered little more than color graphics over it's predecessor. It's competitors were already ahead of it technology-wise. It was shortly replaced by a new handheld which had far superior hardware. Can explain how any of this equates to it being a next gen handheld at the time?

Nintendo has ALWAYS been behind graphically (Well, I don't think always, I'm not sure where the NES/SNES stack up, but excluding those.) The GBC, which has already been explained, was better in EVERY WAY, considerably, despite what you say, than the GameBoy. The DSi is not better in any minor or significant way to the DS/Lite.

Just because it was still in eight bit does not mean it can't be the next generation system, with all the other hardware upgrades it had, and the ability to produce colour it blew the GameBoy out of the water.

SQUIRTLETamer08

lower shiny ratio!
i thought we werent supposed to talk about the remake. haha

ForeverFlame

Johto was the best region, but GSC relied on Kanto too much. I think they should raise the Johto levels to the average. If there are remakes, I hope they don't pull a FR/LG and pretend that the other regions don't exist. They should update the Johto dex with exotic Pokemon, and allow for it to trade with DPPl as soon as you reach a Pokemon Center.

Johto Gym Pipe Dream:

Falkner - Pidgeotto (Level 12) and Honchkrow (Level 14)
Bugsy - Metapod (Level 16), Beedrill (Level 17) and Scyther (Level 19)
Whitney - Clefairy (Level 21), Aipom (Level 22) and Miltank (Level 24)
Morty - Gastly (Level 24), Haunter (Level 25), Mismagius (Level 27) and Gengar (Level 29)
Chuck - Primeape (Level 31), Makuhita (Level 32), Croagunk (Level 34) and Poliwrath (Level 36)
Jasmine - Magnemite (Level 33), Mawile (Level 34), Lairon (Level 36) and Steelix (Level 39)
Pryce - Dewgong (Level 35), Glalie (Level 37) and Mamoswine (Level 42)
Clair - Dragonair (Level 36), Altaria (Level 41), Kingdra (Level 43) and Salamence (Level 47)

My levels were pretty random, and I didn't factor in the length between gyms, so yeah. I increased Pryce, though, because he was ridiculously easy. Salamence for Clair was pushing it, but she had too many Dragonairs, and that was the only thing that suited her. Don't shoot me because it's three levels early, because there are tons of Pokemon like that (Level 3 Bibarel, anyone?).

i thought we werent supposed to talk about the remake. haha

When this thread was first made, it was about the things you would like to see in a remake. Now it has turned into the underground Remake Thread. I'm shocked the mods didn't pick up on it yet. They're pretty good about shutting down remake threads (almost as good as they are at closing SSBB threads!).

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Yeah, the reason the Gameboy defeated all competitors was its battery life.

Handhelds must, above all else, have a reasonable battery life, and they must also be pretty durable.

The Lynx's battery life was horrendous, and it broke easily. As for the Wonderswan, it never really got anywhere.

The Red

I'd personally like to see a revamped National Park in a GSC remake. Despite how frivolous the bug-catching contests were, I found them to be very fun, and it would be amazing to compete against several other NPC players (and possibly even other people in real life via wireless communication) in an all-out hunt for bug Pokemon in a massive (and almost forest-like) park for the sake of winning rare items that are beneficial to players (unlike Gold Berry).

zipzap713

@Peteyism
Johto was the best region, but GSC relied on Kanto too much. I think they should raise the Johto levels to the average. If there are remakes, I hope they don't pull a FR/LG and pretend that the other regions don't exist. They should update the Johto dex with exotic Pokemon, and allow for it to trade with DPPl as soon as you reach a Pokemon Center.
Wouldn't mind these changes, but the "immediately being able to trade with DPP" I doubt would happen. National Dex.

Johto Gym Pipe Dream:

Falkner - Pidgeotto (Level 12) and Honchkrow (Level 14)
Bugsy - Metapod (Level 16), Beedrill (Level 17) and Scyther (Level 19)
Whitney - Clefairy (Level 21), Aipom (Level 22) and Miltank (Level 24)
Morty - Gastly (Level 24), Haunter (Level 25), Mismagius (Level 27) and Gengar (Level 29)
Chuck - Primeape (Level 31), Makuhita (Level 32), Croagunk (Level 34) and Poliwrath (Level 36)
Jasmine - Magnemite (Level 33), Mawile (Level 34), Lairon (Level 36) and Steelix (Level 39)
Pryce - Dewgong (Level 35), Glalie (Level 37) and Mamoswine (Level 42)
Clair - Dragonair (Level 36), Altaria (Level 41), Kingdra (Level 43) and Salamence (Level 47)
Not bad, since it would add some new challenges. But the big question in it, would depend on the National Dex. If they have a National Dex, the gyms probably won't change too much. Or they'll do it GSC style, and have one Pokedex :D

I'm shocked the mods didn't pick up on it yet. They're pretty good about shutting down remake threads (almost as good as they are at closing SSBB threads!).
Oh don't jinx it :p

Janovy

Banned
I'd personally like to see a revamped National Park in a GSC remake. Despite how frivolous the bug-catching contests were, I found them to be very fun, and it would be amazing to compete against several other NPC players (and possibly even other people in real life via wireless communication) in an all-out hunt for bug Pokemon in a massive (and almost forest-like) park for the sake of winning rare items that are beneficial to players (unlike Gold Berry).

Think of it like competition over
Wi-Fi. It would be cool.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Another good addition to possible G/S remakes could be replacing kanto with a new endgame area like the one in D/P where you can catch pokemon not found in johto. Doing a major overhaul for Kanto could be just as good though and have the same impact.

That would be a good idea, they could also open up the Safari Zone is Fuchsia xD

Always bugged me that it was closed o_O

Starrbuck06

Regardless of a remake or not, i wish they would update the Pokemon art for the 2nd generation, it looks silly next to all the other Pokemon art.

pokemeister

Life is Boring
What's all the hating on Kanto? I mean Johto wasn't all that impressive, but to be able to have two regions in one is great. Yea, the Johto region could use some revamping, and Team Rocket could be more sinister, but all in all, a remake would not be as good without the legendary Kanto. Maybe a white rock like the one Proffesor Oak said when you get the Oak's Letter, anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.