• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All the buzz about remakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Seriously, people would know if it's a remake or not because of the Pokemon on the cover.

Not necessarily.

Also, they wouldn't have to put different legendaries on the box cover. Red and Green in Japan had Charizard and Venusaur on the covers. FireRed and LeafGreen had Charizard and Venusaur on the covers.

What different legendaries would they put on the cover, anyway? Second Gen doesn't have very many legendaries as opposed to say, Third or Fourth, which are loaded with them Fourth Gen especially.

Last edited:

zlxq3000

Master Collector
What different legendaries would they put on the cover, anyway? Second Gen doesn't have very many legendaries as opposed to say, Third or Fourth, which are loaded with them Fourth Gen especially.

..."Burning Gold", "Shocking Silver", and "Liquid Crystal", each featuring one of the beasts? :p

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
..."Burning Gold", "Shocking Silver", and "Liquid Crystal", each featuring one of the beasts? :p

But the thing with that is, Crystal is the only one that matches up. Gold and Silver were designed with Ho-Oh and Lugia in mind, the trios have never been used as cover legendaries.

And besides, a remake would be two games, not three. They wouldn't remake the special.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
But the thing with that is, Crystal is the only one that matches up. Gold and Silver were designed with Ho-Oh and Lugia in mind, the trios have never been used as cover legendaries.

And besides, a remake would be two games, not three. They wouldn't remake the special.

I guess... But why wouldn't they? Especially if they could offer the GS Ball sidequest in non-Japanese releases of a remake of Crystal. Huge amounts of money would be made on that...

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I guess... But why wouldn't they? Especially if they could offer the GS Ball sidequest in non-Japanese releases of a remake of Crystal. Huge amounts of money would be made on that...

I have to agree with BCVM22, what is the reasoning behind remaking all three?

And I doubt much more money would be made by remaking the JP Crystal...

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I have a Leaf Green box and instruction booklet in front of me. They don't.

Just checked the Fire Red box just in case, and you're right. They don't.

But they do mention at the very beginning that you can't trade to Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C.

BCVM22

But they do mention at the very beginning that you can't trade to Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C.

And that's relevant... how, exactly? They also put that on the box or packaging of every other 3rd gen title and they did so out of necessity because consumers are idiots and by and large do not know what they have not been told directly and outright and even then still may not get a clue. Reference any thread or post asking how to trade from G/S/C to R/S/E/FR/LG as evidence.

Reading The_Mexican_Smeargle's post...
and now you owe me hundreds of british pounds equivalent of your currency. Brain cells; you break em all, you brought em all.
Still, quite an... odd idea, is it not?

Hmmm, exchange that in US dollars =P, and I'm thinking you meant to say "bought" them all, whatever -_-

Anyway, this is about what we'd like to see/probably would see if a remake was made, not kingdoom hearts people, that and I'm a goofy hater >=/

So yeah, besides that, if the re-make came out, I wonder if it would make a difference were it released on the DSi rather than on the DSlite, what with the GBA slot being gone, but if it was on the DSi, a nice addition I'd love to see is the ability to play while replacing the in-game music with the songs you put on your SD card.

BCVM22

The Lite/i split you suggest is a nonsensical unlikelihood, but adding your own music to a Pokémon title would be, potentially, the worst idea since the designated hitter and putting ketchup on hot dogs. Ech.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't mean REPLACING IT, but rather listen to my tunes than that tideous music, face it, in-game music gets old after your two hundredth hour =P

Replacing and "listening to [your] tunes than that [tedious] music" are exactly the same thing. And no, the music does not get boring, tedious, what have you. I am on my four-hundredth hour and still enjoy it =/

Also, chances are very slim they would design such a game specifically for the DSi. The DS Lite, sure, but not a new system which is the same except for some extra features. They could add more features to the game to utilize this, but I don't really see any use they could come up with.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I really don't see how you could complain with pokemon music. Game Freak knows you'll be hearing it for hours on end and do their best to make it sound as good as possible.

Even now, the G/S/C Johto trainer battle is catchy.

Let's not even talk about the R/B/Y champion music.

PokeJosh

I'd like to answer the original question.

I've just some across this thread, and I've spent the last two days reading it. It has definitely sparked my interest in more places than one. I agree on most topics such as updating the music, expanding the storyline, and the like. I'd just like to put in my two cents about what might be cool in a remake for an actual game, and not just a fangame, like I am making.

-First of all, the GS ball was only available in Japan to receive Celebi. I think that it would be excellent if we could have something like a Wi-Fi Nintendo event to receve the GS ball, and the events would take place in the same way as normal, by giving the ball to Kurt, and then taking it to the shrine.

-It's not a particularly big issue, but it bothers me that the Viridian Forest is gone.

-The trading system. I know that no one likes to hear timeline theories, but...here's one anyway.
Maybe, you could use the time machine to get Pokemon from the past still. When you really think about it, all the games are actually behind in sequence from GSC. FR/LG are obviously behind, the games take place three years later in the same region. In FR/LG, you can connect to Hoenn via the Islands after you connect using the ruby and sapphire gems. All of the GBA games can “migrate” to Sinnoh, so it must be in the same time frame, right? Therefore, the games in Johto are about three years ahead of all the other games, which would enable the new game to use the time machine to connect to Sinnoh, without any conflicting time issues.
This theory is basically in case they want to include new items, TM'sm etc...one problem that I just realized...the apricorn balls that kurt makes. There is no sprite for those in the DPPt games, so this might actually be a good idea.

-Another solution to this problem, now that I think of it, would occur on the GTS. The GTS would appear as normal, but any Pokemon that have different items or anything else new would not be recognized in the DPPt games, and therefore would not appear on the GTS in those games. But they would appear on other games of the same type.

I hope this contribution makes sense...at least a little.

-PokeJosh

I was under no misconceptions about what you meant. The point very much stands.

Whatever floats your boat dude

Replacing and "listening to [your] tunes than that [tedious] music" are exactly the same thing. And no, the music does not get boring, tedious, what have you. I am on my four-hundredth hour and still enjoy it =/

Also, chances are very slim they would design such a game specifically for the DSi. The DS Lite, sure, but not a new system which is the same except for some extra features. They could add more features to the game to utilize this, but I don't really see any use they could come up with.

Again, think what you want, I'm not going to start debating with you, go to the debate section of the forums and do your dirty thing there, and I'll spell and use grammar however I find it most pleasing, thank you =P

And PokeJosh, I asume that if those types of pokeballs got sent into DPPt, they'd turn either into that special ball from the catching contest thing, turn into regular pokeballs, or cherish balls. And thinking into the 5th gen, I wonder you use the time machine to trade with someone the future? Or if it would all be in the same time period.

And that's relevant... how, exactly? They also put that on the box or packaging of every other 3rd gen title and they did so out of necessity because consumers are idiots and by and large do not know what they have not been told directly and outright and even then still may not get a clue. Reference any thread or post asking how to trade from G/S/C to R/S/E/FR/LG as evidence.

Before I start, just like to say that I am aware of the whole box legendary thing, so you didn't need to point it out the basics of the concept.
I haven't played the FR/LG remakes. Seeing as two people who have played it said that no evidence of it being a remake(s) is shown, I guess I'll have to believe them. This disproves my point of remake appearing somewhere in the title, etc, though they should have told the consumer somehow, and ensured that this information was included. There are a minority of people who don't like to play remakes, and there is another, but larger minority of people who don't like the R/B/Y games. Some people don't have internet access, or buy game magazines. For those people, GameFreak could have told them. But then again those people are a minority and could have just used the resources they could get. It depends. At any rate, I accept I am wrong.
BlitzBlast, I am aware of the fact you meant '...: rechain of memories.' I was saying though that the : between Re and chain prevented that. Also, I've just checked and the word doesn't exist as an actual word, according to internet definition checking thingy on google. (Define: rechain) The word is used but no definition is given for it. Of course, it is incredibly stupid for myself to argue with this, so sorry about that. I just wanted to argue.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Im going to comment on the whole how much farther could the handheld genre get question from BCVM22 onabout age 9. I know wtf but hey its my 2 cents. The ds being touch screen and all with the latest stuff can only truly upgrade with multitouch screens and yeah thats it. On your number crunching BVCM22 back in page 9 yes you are correct and all but a 5th gen right now is looking a bit bleak. Sure hype is something that they try and avoid now but hell if they go and reveal the new generation say in january as part of movie 13 and game wise to me thats cutting it a bit close and all. BUT its not really cutting it that close as nintendo trying to push the DS int a life span longer then any other could be an upside. Having worked with the DS already they know how to program for it know how to build the game without it looking too old or feeling to similar to DPPT and still pull it off. So how is this related to gs remakes? The logics that bcvm22 is going by are very strong and disprove the theory of gs remakes comign out this year. I mean what your going to have pokemon games every year now? So while i am a firm believer in this he made me look at it in a way that well helped me to stop being naive and look at things differently.

XyronTheFalcon

I'm Back? YAY!
I want a strict remake in the sense. Remove nothing from the normal course of the game. Just expand. A More Fleshed out Whirl Islands with a Good Lugia Sub-plot.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Again, think what you want, I'm not going to start debating with you, go to the debate section of the forums and do your dirty thing there, and I'll spell and use grammar however I find it most pleasing, thank you =P

We're not really debating, at least I don't think so, we're merely discussing different possibilites... o_O

And I only corrected one of your words, if you were looking, when I switched me or whatever you had to your it was so that it made sense, because I am not you.

For those people, GameFreak could have told them. But then again those people are a minority and could have just used the resources they could get. It depends.

Why should they have told them? I really see no point in it, has there ever really been a remake that specifically points out that it's a remake? If there are I'm sure the few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.