• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Torkoal, No Play! (334)

V Faction

www.faction.com
Some points:

-Steelix kept its Japanese voice, as usual with all roaring/growling Pokemon. That was expected.

-Team Rocket blasted off around 4 times. How super. And there wasn't any interference by them. Talk about setting records.

-The Torkoal Vs. Steelix battle was spectacular. It's a lot better then looking at stand alone screenshots, I can tell you that.

-TC: Fairly standard. I noticed that they used all of the Hoenn Fire Pokemon for their selections. Pretty cool.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Very nice episode. Mostly battle centered which is always a good thing. And of course seeing Steelix being a badass again, also always a good thing.

Definitely a great episode, nice to see Ash battling behind Torkoal when he didn't even capture it yet. Also nice to see May help out with Torchic.

Sheesh. And people say Brock doesn't do anything? Brock is clearly the guide for the group, explaining to them about the Steel Valley, telling May that fire pokes are good against Steel, explaining how Torkoal wanted to restore his pride against Steelix, explaining to Ash not to use Overheat to early, etc. Brock was much needed in this episode.

Also the scene where May fell off the cliff and Ash went down to save her was good, except if I were writing the scene I would have had Magneton shock the two of them a lot more while they were hanging on. :D

And the animation during the last battle with Torkoal Vs. Steelix was very well done. Also great continuity with wanted to go challenge Wattson again.

The continuity in Advance is what sets it apart from Johto and even Kanto, we're getting much more character development for the humans and their pokemon in this series than any other season.

Heracross

Custom User Title
God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come. Someone once said Torkoal's dub voice sounded like Barney the dinosaur and I would say that's not a bad comparison. Why they couldn't just keep the original voice is beyond me, most of the time all is says is 'ko' anyway. Then they let Typhlosion run around yelling "Baku!". I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, nothing 4Kids does makes sense anymore.

Oh well, aside from Torkoal's voice, I enjoyed the episode. Though it did get a bit repedative with Magnemite/ton showing up randomly all the time. The battle with Steelix was awesome, except it lasted way too long. It should have been down after the first couple hits, its special defense is horrible. There was a lot of action in this episode, what with all the steel pokémon attacking them and May falling over the cliff (I bet Advanceshippers enjoyed that scene).

Last edited:

V Faction

www.faction.com
Cybercubed said:
The continuity in Advance is what sets it apart from Johto and even Kanto, we're getting much more character development for the humans and their pokemon in this series than any other season.

"We meet again Commander Harland! Wait.. or is it Tabitha?"
"Yes, yet again Isabelle! I-I mean Shelly! Yes, Commander Shelly!"

Ha, okay. That isn't exactly the show's fault. And hey, remember we had a little continuity back in Johto with Morty. In fact, it was much like the trek back to Mauville right now. Of course, that's all there was in Johto...

V Faction

www.faction.com
Heracross said:
God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come. Someone once said Torkoal's dub voice sounded like Barney the dinosaur and I would say that's not a bad comparison. Why they couldn't just keep the original voice is beyond me, most of the time all is says is 'ko' anyway. Then they let Typhlosion run around yelling "Baku!". I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, nothing 4Kids does makes sense anymore.

Feh. We've known its voice for a while now. And only today you complain? Also, that's pretty funny, "dozens" of episodes. The number is probably at a dozen knowing how little we've seen of Torkoal.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Well, we have heard Flannery's Torkoal, but I was hoping Ash's would sound different. I thought they would probably just give it the same voice, but it's still dissappointing.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, but as you can tell with the groups Pokemon, all have been learning new attacks and their personalities are being developed. No more 1 dimensional pokes like his Johto ones were.

Even the humans have, as May has received more character development in just the 50 dub episodes we've seen of her so far than any other character on the show.

It's what sets Hoenn apart.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Heracross said:
Well, we have heard Flannery's Torkoal, but I was hoping Ash's would sound different. I thought they would probably just give it the same voice, but it's still dissappointing.

Good thing I don't despise the voice then.

Cybercubed said:
Yeah, but as you can tell with the groups Pokemon, all have been learning new attacks and their personalities are being developed. No more 1 dimensional pokes like his Johto ones were.

Even the humans have, as May has received more character development in just the 50 dub episodes we've seen of her so far than any other character on the show.

It's what sets Hoenn apart.

Dude, don't worry, I agree. I was just having a little fun before.

And it seems I've jumped from a Normal Coordinator to a Heat Trainer.

Alfonso

Derpgull
I've seen the Japanese version of this episode... meh. Yes, Torkoal was caught and Steelix was there too, as was Magneton. But in all honesty, I wasn't really that interested. No swoonsome character for me to fawn over, you see. XD

I can't wait to see the Wattson rematch though. May *totally* hands Watts a*s to him on a stick with Skitty.

Space Skitty

Hoenn Champion
I thought this was good episode. I feel so sorry for Torkoal... All those Pokemon ganging up on it wasn't fair. The battle between Steelix & Torkoal was exciting. Funny how Ash had refered to Torkoal as "my Torkoal." Almost as if he knew the future... But I think he meant in a friendly way. Speaking of which, Ash was very kind towards Torkoal. He helped protect it then he helped it beat Steelix. Overall, a nice episode! ^_^

Tamer Zack

SPP forgotten member
I was a bit suprise to hear Torkoal have the same voice as Flannery's Torkoal but oh well. I hated Steelix voive I really like Steelix voice better in Nerves of Steelix and the TC was really hard I always thought Torkoal evolved into Camerupt.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

man i cant wait til this ep is aired in the uk..............

i LOOOOOOOOOOVE TORKOAL!

R

Robert

Torkal's voice is great to me. I don't care what everyone else says. :p

This episode had great action and some good humor. It was good to see someone other than Ash or Team Rocket to get zapped for once. Good episode.

Yellow

Banned
I loved this episode. Ash got his 4th Pokemon finally!! I hated Torkoal before, but now I like it. There was also a shippy part when Ash rescued May.

SuperSonic

There definitely is a lot of development for both pokemon and humans. Which is what makes the Hoenn episodes so great. Also, the battling/training is good. You can see May grow as a trainer and really realize how good Ash has gotten, and I can see why he wouldn't have won the other leagues. He's really gotten good, and still gets to learn things like when he becomes over confident, which is one of the flaws he needs to work on.

As for the episode, pretty good. I've always been a fan of Torkoal. The voice didn't bother me or impress me. Steelix seemed a little small at times, but it is a unique steelix could just be its size. I also liked the whole Steel pokemon habitat deal, thats something we really haven't seen too much of.

I'm really impressed by how much track the WB is covering by airing 2 episodes at a time, at the end of last season I was like, "geeze that Torkoal episode is so far away."

T

Togemon

I loved this episode! The best episode in a while IMO. Though Torkoal's voice ANNOYED me. Blah... I'll get used to it... hopefully.
But did anyone else catch the Magnemite/Magneton mistake? It goes from two Magnemites to three to two, and one Magneton to two Magnetons.
9/10

I

Indigo

Everything's been said, but I just want to say this:

Ash said, "So, Steelix. What do you have against my Torkoal, huh?" before he even caught it. That threw me off completely. It seems like he had every intention of making Torkoal his own, and he spoiled it for the audience, too. It just...really wasn't good.

Everything else has been said.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Heracross said:
The battle with Steelix was awesome, except it lasted way too long. It should have been down after the first couple hits, its special defense is horrible.
I thought it was a perfect length, maybe even a little too short. The game's Steelix may have weak Special Defense but Special Defense doesn't seem to exist in the anime, and in any event one of the main points of the Steelix's protrayel was that it was a very strong Steelix that had a resistance to Fire attacks. Even then it was only hit three times before going down, it blocked the other blows.

Yellow said:
I loved this episode. Ash got his 4th Pokemon finally!!
FYI, he has 5.

As for my views on the episode, let me first speak of the battle. It was one of the most exciting and well-animated battles they'd ever had in the series! Right up there with Pikachu vs. Raichu, Charizard vs. Magmar, Heracross vs. Scizor, etc. The Steelix was an incredible fighter (much funner to watch than Jasmine's one trick wonder Steelix), fast and mighty. It's entrance, surrounded by a whirlwind of Dragonbreath, was awe-inspiring, as was its incredible use of Dragonbreath, Sandstorm, and Iron Tail to block fire attacks. Torkoal's fighting was well done as well, the way portions of its shell glowed while charging up the Overheat was a nice touch.

*sigh* if only Torkoal was as fast in the games as it is in the anime. :)

It was quite sweet to watch as Ash asked it (without any prompting really), if it wanted to be part of the team and Torkoal jumped on him crying, but not the hyper cry it had been doing but rather a happy, cute cry while Ash hugged it. ^_^

The Steelix had a surprising amount of depth to it, for a one-episode Pokemon. The multiple gestures and calls it used to command the other Steel types, as well as its fury over Magneton (probably his second in command) being beaten were well done, and the storyline centering around Torkoal wanting to regain its pride as a Fire Pokemon was actually pretty believable. The whole issue of honor in battle was shown well when Steelix was beaten (for once no swirly eyes, yay!), but ordered the other Steel types to leave Torkoal be as it had proven itself.

Oh, and I for one had no problem with ANY of the voices. They all seemed quite fitting.

Anyway, I say it deserves a 9/10 for the animation and battle alone, while the interesting story and lack of useless characters of the day earns it an even 10 unless you want the scale to go higher. ^_^

Other things of note:

1. Skarmory and Steelix kept their Japanese voices.
2. This is the first time they've shown Sky Attack in the series (it was used by a Skarmory in the Raikou special as well), though the attack was not named when this episode's Skarmory used it, it was either that or Double-Edge.
3. Many were surprised when this episode first aired in Japan and showed Steelix using Dragonbreath, as at the time the only way for it to know that move was by TM from the GSC generation. Never mind that the anime is not the game, it still surprised people. Of course, when RS was released, Dragonbreath was a move Onix and Steelix could learn naturally. Regardless, it looks like people here still got confused when Steelix used Dragonbreath. I mean really, Zap Cannon? Sandstorm in a beam? (Sandstorm has a completely different color and was used by name by the same Steelix) Study up on attacks people! ^_^

Last edited:
W

Wolf Cypher

I thought this was one of Ash's most boring "Pokémon Get!" eppies ever. For once I actually wished TR did something. It was just depressing to me. And just in case no one answered, Steelix's green beam was Dragonbreath. At least it wont be too long before someone's *(&%^$ evolves &*(&&^% *(&^! (Can't use spoiler tags right now).

And where was Aggron?! A Steel Pokémon AND a territorial Pokémon!

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
SygmaXero said:
And where was Aggron?! A Steel Pokémon AND a territorial Pokémon!

Yeah, I noticed that they didn't have any Hoenn Steel Pokemon. And if Aggron was territorial it wouldn't share his personal valley with anyone.

I noticed that Ash referred to Torkoal as his before he caught it too.

I noticed the shippy part too *Grrr*

I noticed that Steelix used Dragonbreath too, though nobody in the show mentioned it.

I noticed Skarmory used Sky Attack too.

I kind of like Torkoal's voice. It seems kind helpless though, it makes me feel sorry for it.

Torkoal a girl? It didn't do anything like Chikorita...People who think Pikachu is a girl annoy me. Torkoal didn't seem to do anything that would make me think its a girl.

The battle didn't seem that amazing to me. I like Torkoal's spirit and desire to fight Steelix though.

They never seem to make enough Fire or Electric Pokemon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Numel, Camerupt, and Torkoal the only Hoenn fire Pokemon? Aside from the starters, that's only three. The only Electric types are Electrike, Manectric, Plusle, and Minun. They seem to dump boatloads of Water's on us. I'd like it if Ash's fire Pokemon evolved.

I didn't like how the Magnemite's kept coming back.

It was a pretty good episode 7.5/10