• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

All Torkoal, No Play! (334)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I always thought this was a very good and exciting capture episode. Unlike some eps that are chores, such as Turtwig and Noctowl's boring capture eps, this one was exciting.

It's a shame Torkoal really wasn't used much, but I guess the lack of an evo is why they couldn't do much with it. I see Torkoal as a really underrated Pokemon, it had a terrible losing streak in Hoenn but did very well against Registeel in BF.

If Torkoal is ever used again I hope the writers do it justice. Much like other Pokemon such as Muk, Kingler, etc....Torkoal deserved a lot more attention.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I always thought this was a very good and exciting capture episode. Unlike some eps that are chores, such as Turtwig and Noctowl's boring capture eps, this one was exciting.

It's a shame Torkoal really wasn't used much, but I guess the lack of an evo is why they couldn't do much with it. I see Torkoal as a really underrated Pokemon, it had a terrible losing streak in Hoenn but did very well against Registeel in BF.

If Torkoal is ever used again I hope the writers do it justice. Much like other Pokemon such as Muk, Kingler, etc....Torkoal deserved a lot more attention.

let's not forget about Gomazou's capture episode... "let's spend all episode chasing around a Pokemon that was technically mine to begin with and just couldn't be returned to its ball". Bleh... while I kinda enjoy something important happening in an episode myself, it's crap like this which proves that being a filler or non-filler doesn't necessarily make an episode "good".

[cough] But I agree that this was a pretty nice capture episode (and with a pretty unique environment as well... for a saga that was just packed with "generic forest of doom", even at the expense of interesting in-game areas, how often do you see the characters in a wasteland?), and Cotoise was a horribly underutilized Pokemon. You know what I think adds insult to injury? After that pretty epic scene of Satoshi remembering Overheat and having his future Pokemon use it against Haganeil, they suddenly have him forget about Overheat's flaw a mere couple of episodes later. It was all pretty much downhill for the guy from there, wasn't it?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Wow, Torkoal was strong. especially vs Steelix.

And I loved to see Skarmory's moves.

9/10

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
A Torkoal right after we witnessed Flannery's Torkoal a few episodes back? That was fast :/

I liked the valley of Steel type Pokemon itself. Steelix though, it very overdone and I found it boring at the time. Torkoal beat it with Fire which is almost always the case.

Anyway, Torkoal getting it's own special capture episode was great. It wasn't too boring like some of the others I've seen. 6/10

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I liked this episode, pretty good episode. Torkoal was one of the Pokemon I loved on the Hoenn region (Might help the fact it's fire). As others said but it was an interesting capture. I think this is the first time a main character wanted a Pokemon because they were impressed by a Gym leader's Pokemon. Guess Flannery and Torkoal really did impress him lol

saar

Shiny Flygon
Torkoal's power wasn't known until it battled VS Steelix. Actually Fire pokemon shouldn't have had a problem with Steel type pokes, but this time it was pretty hard because of the fact they were many.
Being a big pokemon like Steelix doesn't halp if it has a problem with Fire moves.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
This was a really great capture episode.

I love how Torkaol never gave up battling and eventually beat Steelix.

Great episode.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was cool to see a wild overly cheerful wild Torkoal in this episode. I'm glad Ash caught the Torkoal. It was funny seeing Torkoal blow smoke in the gang's faces every time it's happy. Man... Those Electric Pokemon and Steelix were really rough on Torkoal throughout the episode.

30/100

Vernikova

Champion
Torkoal is one of Ash's most annoying Pokemon. It's up there with Bayleef and a few others for the top spot. I didn't like its tendency to get over-emotional throughout the series. It wasn't too bad in this episode since it had an interesting "never give up" personality so I will give it that.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I remeber this episode the most when I saw it when it was new. Torkoal is too.. coward at first.. against the Pokemon he could defeat! Silly Torkoal, but at least he finally showed those steel type Pokemon who are boss and getting Ash, Mayy, Brock, and Max through the valley :p

7threst

This episode was pretty intense and I actually was quite happy Ash capturing Torkoal - seeing as that Pokémon is full of humorous, emotional and funny characteristics. The battle between Torkoal and Steelix was good and I loved the part at the end with Torkoal crying lol.

I think Torkoal is one of Ash's less nice Pokemon, but this episode felt really nice to me. It's still a funny Pokemon, and it felt so mean how wild Pokemon were attacking it. I'm glad Torkoal managed to beat Steelix in the end, and seeing Ash, May, Max and Brock with ash-faces also felt funny. As a rating, 7/10.

NPT

Just a member
All Torkoal, No Play!

Geez, I didn't like how all those Steel-type were trying to hurt Torkoal just because it's a Fire-type and not a Steel-type. Seriously, All those Steel-type Pokemon ganging up on Torkoal was unfair.

The battle between Torkoal and Steelix didn't make much sense. How in the world Steelix was able to withstand those storng fire attacks from Torkoal? Oh well, at least Ash caught managed to catch that Torkoal.

Last edited:
I'll start off by saying this: skimming these threads older posts, holy moly, I never realized how over-analytical and 'srs bzns'-like these episode discussion threads could get (not that I'm saying they still don't at times). I mean, it's just a cartoon, folks.

Anyway, the episode itself.

Glad Ash caught Torkoal. I'm already liking this things personality. :)
Didn't Ash (or was it May) already dex Flannery's Torkoal two episodes ago?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did kinda feel bad for Torkoal being attacked by Magnemite and Skarmory at the start, but then its constant crying got me over it. I laughed when Team Rocket tried to appease that wild Steelix by polishing it, only for Steelix to swat them away with Iron Tail. I was also pleased that May's Torchic got to battle some of the Steel-types here. Good for her.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Didn't like the episode.Magneton zapping May with Thunderbolt was just horrid.And why didn't the Valley even have a single Generation III Steel Pokemon in it?Couldn't the writers have put things like Lairon,Beldum,and Mawile there?
2/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hee hee I liked how Torkoal cried when it got overexcited and I felt bad for him cuz of how those steel type pokemon kept attacking him. I was glad that Ash caught Torkoal as his fifth pokemon in the end.