• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Almost Pikachu Crisis (1137)

Samurott

Either they had a rookie team do the animation because of it being a filler episode, or it's because the pandemic is now affecting the series. Didn't they say that it takes 6 months to make an episode before it airs? So that means that this episode was first created around the beginning of June when the series came back from its hiatus.

D

Deleted member 384931

Wow that was boring. I feel like in Journeys, Satoshi doesnt care about his pokemon, he just let them be, even when they go missing. Food above pokemon.

Cinderace and Lucario feel forced. It isnt even funny. It would have been more fun when it happend in a previous evolution stage. The voices sounds so weird lol. I was tired of swinging on the pole of the 3rd time.

Is this Castelia City?
3/10: a lazy, cheap filler. Goh didnt even caught a pokemon?

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
So this episode's hook for me was the moment when Pikachu noticed Hikachu and instantly thought "FRIEND!" That was actually a pretty adorable way to mix them up. NGL. That's what helped me enjoy the episode. Probably more than I should've cause it was a pretty meh episode otherwise. Lucario's grunts gets grating after a while, it and Cinderace didn't have much chemistry to really sell anything significant, and them being stuck together didn't really accomplish anything apart from a gag that, in hindsight, wore out its welcome way sooner than I actually stopped laughing at it. Maybe if the episode somehow sold me on TR maybe actually having Pikachu, I'd have had little more investment but it was clear and obvious that they had Hikachu which made the rest of the episode kind of a waste.

5 / 10. It's only not a 4 because Hikachu is genuinely the best thing about the episode in the little time it had to be relevant.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Why you no like Cinderace?

Far from me explaining what our fellow user said but I think it probably has to do with Cinderace defaulting back to Scorbunny's personality + the fact it'll no longer be a walking mon.

Megumi Hayashibara did fine with Scorbunny and Raboot, but her voice just isn't working for Cinderace.

This is something I agree with. Megumi is a great artist and REALLY good at what she does but I really feel like they should've just changed the VA like they did with Riolu -> Lucario.

She is good at her craft but not even she can make miracles

dentula

Things I liked:
- Meowth's smile when he said "they self-destructed"

Things I didn't like:
- Pretty much everything else

Raboot was my favorite character, and it was effectively killed off now that Cinderace defaulted back to its base evolution's personality.

The Cinderace/Lucario dynamic as a duo is forced - there wasn't any chemistry between the two prior to evolution.

Why aren't they walking mons anymore? Is there some city ordinance that states only walking mons allowed have to fit certain size dimensions?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Bull****. The animation team had their hands full drawing 6+ characters a lot of times the previous region. They only bother with 2 human characters now. Maybe the pandemic is starting to show its ugly head.

Oh crap. Is this the reason they made Castelia City a ghost city, or at least the unused second set for the Hoopa movie.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Cinderace not being edgy is the point of the Scorbunny line's evolution. It is how some people's lives are: Happy child -> Rebellious teen -> Happy adult who is open again

And I thought you liked the small rabbit because of its personality and wished it stayed unevolved longer. Well you got your Scorbunny again but as a cheerful adult rabbit

diakyu

Far from me explaining what our fellow user said but I think it probably has to do with Cinderace defaulting back to Scorbunny's personality + the fact it'll no longer be a walking mon.
lol this is exactly it. Raboot just worked better as a compliment to Goh's character as well

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Cinderace not being edgy is the point of the Scorbunny line's evolution. It is how some people's lives are: Happy child -> Rebellious teen -> Happy adult who is open again

And I thought you liked the small rabbit because of its personality and wished it stayed unevolved longer. Well you got your Scorbunny again but as a cheerful adult rabbit
Outside of appearances, Raboot in general aren't edgy. That is something the anime interpreted. Raboot looks like that because it so happens that's what soccer players in training wear.

fashion-soccer-training-hoodie-sets-men-long.jpg

The whole evolution line is literally a little kid (Scorbunny) who trains hard (Raboot) to become a professional soccer player (Cinderace). It's not a cheerful kid going emo but then ends up being a kiddy adult. That's...not how things work.

(The real edgy line is Sobble's, ironically, but that applies to just Drizzile, whose brilliant but lazy attitude makes it look edgy.)

Also, Cinderace regaining its kiddy attitude, while okay, feels really rushed because it hasn't been 50 episodes but yet it evolved too fast anyway. And it's not like Goh has been giving it a lot of battles. All I remember were three (Flygon, maybe Aerodactyl, and Oleana).

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Even if the anime didn't show Cinderace its personality, I still think that Cinderace looks like a happy adult from its character design and Raboot being rebellious for the same reason.

Anyways, I'm fine to see Cinderace and Lucario interacting each other, even if they didn't get chemistry prior, overcoming the super glue they got tied with in which can act like springboards when they hit thin objects like lampposts which makes their adventures look silly after seeing them flying around for a while.

That fake Pikachu looks impressive in a tech point of view. Again, I always wondered why TRio didn't do legal careers for their skills instead of going after Ash's Pikachu endlessly.

It's a fun episode to me. I like to see Cinderace and Lucario having their own spotlights, a nice change from seeing Ash, Pikachu & Goh constantly in this series so far, despite the not-so impressive animations.

Jibanyan

Same here. See Scorbunny and Cinderace vs Raboot.

This is also a problem in the new games too, the starters already seem to have a personality and development, like Sobble going from a shy crybaby to a smooth spy lizard which is honestly annoying because they are a species not a character and it makes it seems every single Sobble has the same personality and development. Old starters were just monsters and the anime got creative with their personalities.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
This is also a problem in the new games too, the starters already seem to have a personality and development, like Sobble going from a shy crybaby to a smooth spy lizard which is honestly annoying because they are a species not a character and it makes it seems every single Sobble has the same personality and development. Old starters were just monsters and the anime got creative with their personalities.
To be fair this has been a thing for a while now

Literally every Cubone wears the skull of it's Dead Mother

Literally Every Kangaskan is a mother with zero Males in sight

Literally Every Drowzee/Hypno is a creepy child predator

Literally every Mimikyu wants to be like Pikachu

Literally every Litten wants to become a Wrestler

This has been a thing with Pokémon for multiple Generations now
I dunno why people have such a problem with it now

Jibanyan

To be fair this has been a thing for a while now

Literally every Cubone wears the skull of it's Dead Mother

Literally Every Kangaskan is a mother with zero Males in sight

Every Drowzee/Hypno is a creepy child predator

Literally every Mimikyu wants to be like Pikachu

This has been a thing for multiple Generations now
I dunno why people have such a problem with it now

Of those only Cubone feels like "all the same personality". Kangaskan is more of a biology thing but it doesn't have a set personality, neither does Hypno, the "child predator" thing is just part of Pokemon lore, Mimikyu wants to be like Pikachu but yet the anime made Jessie's one a psycho while Alelora's was different. Your examples where about lore and biology while Pokemon like Scorbunny or Sobble have set personalities and development, all Sobble are shy and cry, all Rabbot are emo tsundere, etc.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I never thought I’d see the day where I actually laughed and enjoyed a moment with a Lucario in the anime.

The premise is fine as a somewhat substitute for the usual “starters get lost from the group after an encounter with TRio” episode (though I’m still disappointed we won’t see that with the base stage Galar starters which would work as basically an extended version of the cutscene in game before you choose one) but admittedly the gags got old quick. Cool to see Throh and Sawk again.

Contrary to popular belief, I’m not instantly going to hate anything Lucario is a part of. I actually enjoyed a couple of the beginning gags because the gags worked on their personalities. I just don’t like that they’re trying to push Cinderace and Lucario as a pair. Riolu and Raboot had no connection and it just feels like blatant marketing. They could’ve made something from this but immediately starting them off like this just feels forced. I don’t have anything to say about Lucario’s characterization but hopefully it does more than be stoic.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Of those only Cubone feels like "all the same personality". Kangaskan is more of a biology thing but it doesn't have a set personality, neither does Hypno, the "child predator" thing is just part of Pokemon lore, Mimikyu wants to be like Pikachu but yet the anime made Jessie's one a psycho while Alelora's was different. Your examples where about lore and biology while Pokemon like Scorbunny or Sobble have set personalities and development, all Sobble are shy and cry, all Rabbot are emo tsundere, etc.
Fair point

Tho we've only seen one Sobble and one Raboot in the anime thus far.

If it weren't for Acerola's Mimikyu showing up, most would think every Mimikyu is as Psychotic as Jessie's.

There's nothing to say that if we saw another Sobble or another Raboot in the show they wouldn't have different personalities

Also like @AuraChannelerChris said, the "Raboot is Emo/Edgy/Tsundere" thing is just something that the anime came up with. Raboot's design is based off of track runners.

Also Sobble doesn't really have a set Personality either. Shyness and Timidness isn't really a personality. Those are just Traits. Which a lot of species even irl have.
Heck even with Gou's Sobble the Crying thing is kinda a rare occurrence

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I know I always complain about him but... This Tomiyasu regime hasn't been that good.

It seems like he is only content with slice of life and anything that is not it, be it a serialized arc or something that's a corporate mandate, just falls flat. And to diminish that, he just resort to cheap marketing like pushing the popular starter and the overhyped Gen 8 mon as a dynamic duo, follow the Galar arc with a Mewtwo episode.... All those "hey look at me" that are all gimmicks at the end of the day.

Sure he's done a good service pointing a route for the anime to adapt itself to what a kids' show is supposed to be and play in the current era - even if I'd argue early Yokai Watch did it first - but he is failing on delivering anything that strays away from his preference.

Compare the Alola trip to the Mewtwo episode (he is done the storyboard for the later). Night and day. Sun and Moon (pun intended).

I know that people has issue with him and he is far from perfect, but there's no doubt Yuyama was a blessing for this show and I'd even go as far as to say he is one of the key responsibles for the anime to be so sucessful and enduring. I never felt he really "intruded" on what was going on other series and most of the time he allowed room for some change ups even when they were faced with what's clearly a mandate (like making BW be more like the first series). Also, I felt like he let the series' directors do their own thing.

Here I just feel like Maki Kodaira is just having things and mandates thrown at her to the point one could she is a glorified secretary. The Olleana to his Rose lol

Outside of appearances, Raboot in general aren't edgy. That is something the anime interpreted. Raboot looks like that because it so happens that's what soccer players in training wear.

The whole evolution line is literally a little kid (Scorbunny) who trains hard (Raboot) to become a professional soccer player (Cinderace). It's not a cheerful kid going emo but then ends up being a kiddy adult. That's...not how things work.

I agree with you here.

Also, I don't really buy the cheerful kid - rebel teenage - cheerful adult comparison because... It doesn't work that way.

Going from happy kid to tsundere emo teenage works specially in the context of WHEN Scorbunny evolved into Scorbunny (coming fresh of a misunderstanding with Goh). But from tsundere teenage to basically back to factory settings as a cheerful? I don't buy it. Going from teenage to adult usually means you grow up and get over that weird rebelious phase to become something else. Not the you from childhood but not the one from adolescence either. You can still have the edge of adolescence but still allow yourself to be the cheerful kid.

The only way that swift would work is if they had the transition smoother. And it doesn't even need much. Like, just a little scene from right after Goh beats the G-Garbordor, Raboot does the "foot-five" thing with him, signaling he is finally getting over being so moody and start displaying more of his great love towards his trainer. It would make him doing it post-evolution even more meaningful.

Really, it bothers me Goh didn't make a bigger deal of Cinderace basically a bigger Scorbunny. I mean, from giving him the cold shoulder as Raboot to suddenly being no embarassed of hugging and cuddling him as Cinderace is quite... Significant. Gee, even a line of "that's why you are greatest partner", "that's who we really are" or "that's the best, evolved version of ourselves" would have worked. Anything cliche would work, just make me feel fullfilled with the evolution. Make me FEEL, danm it.

And that's from someone who likes Goh's character and prefered Scorbunny over Raboot (even if I grew to like the later).

Soniman

Break the Limit
Don't know what everyone is going on about the pair being forced because "they never interacted" well...yeah? Kinda explains why their relationship was rocky in the episode doesn't it? Rabboot'sstandoff ish personality probably didn't mesh with Riolus battle focused one so they didn't have much avenues to really interact so their evolutions and shifted personalities finally opened the door to that. Every relationship has to start somewhere???

Only thing I didn't like about the Ep was Ash and Go not caring the two were gone and preferred to stuff their faces. I think at some point they'd start to worry but they never do

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Don't know what everyone is going on about the pair being forced because "they never interacted" well...yeah? Kinda explains why their relationship was rocky in the episode doesn't it?
They had two times they worked together and seemed perfectly fine with each other, though. Not a single hint of friction was given those times. They even shared a fist bump (with Pikachu) when they learned they got bigger, for crying out loud.

This episode's premise happened because Lucario apparently hates sweets now (why it was never explained) and Cinderace annoyed him with it to the point they used the Sunny D-roc plotline by pissing him off with staining his fur.

Once they're back to fighting together, it will be like this episode never happened, and they'll be back to being buddies.

Last edited: