• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aloha! Very new

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynChris

At least, very new to pokemon forums.
I first started playing two years ago, when a friend gave me a 2DS (pre-loaded with Y) for Christmas. I was active enough to pick up X, then go in with him on the ORAS deal at Toys'R'Us (so I also have AS, and he has a Charizard plushie), then stopped playing for about a year. I just picked them up again two weeks ago, after realizing that I was already so close to a complete livingdex, I may as well finish! But while I can do most of the work myself, there are some things (like hidden abilities) I would need to trade for, and I have some questions (like how to find out TSVs and egg shiny values) that my RL friends don't know the answers to. So... here I am. Please don't scare me off. ^^;

These are my goals, and how far I am in them:
((I prefer all livingdex pokemon to be from my own games, when possible))

Complete pokedex
done.

Living dex - one of every pokemon and evolutionary stage
(hunting) cresselia
(waiting for events) jirachi, darkrai, shaymin, arceus, victini, keldeo x2, genesect, meloetta, volcanion
(need to restart a game) articuno, moltres, kyogre
(need to buy a game) ho-oh, groudon, palkia, tornadus, reshiram

Living dex - one of every variation, form, and possible gender
(breeding) female eevee and eevelutions, male roserade
(need to restart a game) vivillon regional variations, female heatran, deoxys x3, therian thundurus, therian landorus
(need to buy a game) therian tornadus
(trade for/give up on??) male fancy vivillon, female pokeball vivillon

Living dex - one of every possible ability... or at least every hidden ability
barely started researching.

Living dex - rebreed all the (breedable) above to be 6IV
barely started, prefer to wait until more hidden abilities are collected.

Living dex - SHINY of every pokemon, evolutionary stage, variation, form, and possible gender
...have 2 from events, 2 from the wild, 5 from chain-fishing, 2 from horde chaining, 1 from breeding...
(breeding) no luck; need to learn about TSVs!!
(hunting) some luck; need to research hordes, chain fishing, and learn about pokeradar!
(need to restart a game) most legendaries
(trade for/give up on??) articuno, zapdos, moltres, mewtwo, groudon, kyogre, rayquaza, deoxys x4, mew, jirachi, darkrai, shaymin, arceus, genesect, xerneas, yveltal, diancie

...What I'm most proud of is what I've already accomplished. The skeleton-- a basic living dex, laid out in the pokebank in order by number and evolutionary family, with spaces left for shinies and missing genders/variations/legendaries, their storage boxes grouped by Kanto/Johto/etc. Everything is easy to find. I can flip through quickly and see when I'm missing something, and I can grab an entire family at once to breed or replace them more efficiently. I can leave for months or years, then come back and know right where I left off-- proven by the fact that that's exactly what happened two weeks ago. Honestly, that's a lot of why I'm motivated to continue the work now-- it's easy. There's no pressure to do it all at once, I barely have to keep notes on anything, and all I'm doing is casually filling in the blanks. Since I have a lot less free time than I did two years ago, that's perfect for me!

I registered with the forums so I could ask some specific questions about things I've researched but don't understand (and my RL friends also don't understand), so I could trade for some specific things I can't find on the GTS (like hidden abilities), and to learn more about identifying illegal pokemon (which I've definitely traded for unknowingly).

Last edited:

Bananarama

The light is coming
Hi there, welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll like it here :)

Rhinne

Welcome to the forum! :D I've been here for years but I mostly lurk, the people here are all nice though, I'm sure you'll fit in.

Also wow that's an impressive pokebank set-up! Getting an entire shiny dex is going to be a massive challenge, but it's not impossible (with some exceptions). Keep going! :]
If you're relatively new to the world of Pokémon, have you heard of the nuzlocke challenge? I highly recommend it if not, it's a great way to pass the time between games!

I've rambled on a bit now, but welcome!

ArynChris

Thanks both of you! ^_^

If you're relatively new to the world of Pokémon, have you heard of the nuzlocke challenge? I highly recommend it if not, it's a great way to pass the time between games!

I have, kind of! I hang out on deviantart, so nuzlocke comics (even if you aren't into pokemon) are... hard to miss. My understanding is that it's like playing the game on hard mode, except that since the games don't come packaged with easy/normal/hard modes, it's a set of extra limitations that players invented?

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Hello ArynChris, welcome to Serebii.
For TSV method shinies I direct you to KeyBV.
It uses the battle video information to check the shiny values. I have not tried it myself yet, so I cannot provide you with any more support than this link.
Good luck :]

ArynChris

Hello ArynChris, welcome to Serebii.
For TSV method shinies I direct you to KeyBV.
It uses the battle video information to check the shiny values. I have not tried it myself yet, so I cannot provide you with any more support than this link.
Good luck :]

Thank you! I'm not quite sure how to use it, even with the directions posted... but I think I can figure it out. I appreciate the link! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.