• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Detective Rotom! The Mystery of the Lost Crystal!! (960)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I still uphold my suggestion to make avatars whenever there is a new episode. We are missing a lot of good ones here!

But we don't even have a complete set of XYZ ones...

So Kiawe basically behaves like an angry wife if Ash loses his rock (child).

Janovy

Banned
LMAO@Ash's face when Rotom explains Kiawe stole his Z-crystal, Ash makes this super annoyed 'so that's what happened' face and Kiawe is freaking out.

Another hilarious moment was Pikachu was tugging Rotom's wig on and off, that face.

I also appreciate that we had a flashback showing Ash practicing a Z-move with Rowlet, as well as the reference to the pancake race.

Cat's Eye Draco

Oh, wow. And I thought Drew's hair-flicking was bad...

Although, the TV detective did have pretty nice hair. Maybe James could get some tips from him; looking at the preview for next week's episode, he's in desperate need of some conditioner, there.

Anyway, though somewhat boring it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. At the very least we finally have definitive proof that Ash does indeed do some training/Z-move practicing during his off time (something that I've been wondering about for awhile now), and that shot of Pikachu and Rockruff snuggled up together at bedtime was ridiculously cute. :D

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was better than I expected, but still not great. I like Rotom, but I don't want him getting another focused episode unless it's dealing with Professor Oak's Rotom.

I did like that original Vulpix appeared though, hopefully he shows up more and eventually gets an episode with Samson and Komala rather than just being phased out in favor of the new Vulpix. And Kiawe was the best thing about this episode.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
so, ultimately, rotom came to the wrong conclusion and lillie's the one who ended up turning them in the right direction.

Supersonicbro

I won't repeat everything everyone else said about this episode, but i do want to mention how nice it was that turtonator was also giving chase when kiawe was chasing ash. Showed that despite his size and being shown off to be a strong pokemon, it still has a playful side.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I won't repeat everything everyone else said about this episode, but i do want to mention how nice it was that turtonator was also giving chase when kiawe was chasing ash. Showed that despite his size and being shown off to be a strong pokemon, it still has a playful side.

My favorite detail of that was that it clearly could not keep up with them lol, this series is full of little details like that

Janovy

Banned
Can we just appreciate that they referenced the pancake race?

Props to the writing staff for not turning it into that thing that never happened beyond that one episoe, but a thing that legit happened in the past and had characters mention it.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Can we just appreciate that they referenced the pancake race?

Props to the writing staff for not turning it into that thing that never happened beyond that one episoe, but a thing that legit happened in the past and had characters mention it.

Now I want to go back to the SM filler discussion and reaffirm it as non-essential non-filler.

For something that was meant to be filler with a significant event at the end, it's been referenced twice now.

Kinda hoping it's revisited in a year where Lillie gets a chance to compete (my one problem with Shiron hatching at the end).

There was something else I liked about this episode, but can't remember what it was off the top of my head. Think it may have been Kukui and Rotom just chilling and watching TV (also Rotom spying on Kukui entering the shower after the Pokeproblem) and just generally give a little bit of depth to those two.

Janovy

Banned
Kinda hoping it's revisited in a year where Lillie gets a chance to compete (my one problem with Shiron hatching at the end).
I think we could get a second race, perhaps late into the series. But that would imply that a year has passed lol.

Except why is a pancake race that important to refer to in an episode that in itself is a filler anyway.

It's an upgrade, but not memorable.
It's a major upgrade compared to the previous series. Not only is SM largely filler-free, but even its fillers aren't throwaway episodes that no one even bothers to mention again. It makes the series feel more real and interconnected.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I think we could get a second race, perhaps late into the series. But that would imply that a year has passed lol.

It's a major upgrade compared to the previous series. Not only is SM largely filler-free, but even its fillers aren't throwaway episodes that no one even bothers to mention again. It makes the series feel more real and interconnected.

Not to mention that the fillers are actually enjoyable compared to the past series, especially the Johto and XY series fillers and I'm glad that there are hardly any of those Ash helping the cotd with Team Rocket getting involved episodes.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I'm intrigued by how upbeat Kanto Vulpix was about Samson's conversation. Is it trying to join in the puns or something? Could make a fun foil for Samson if it manages the face pulls at least. XD

Overall not a brilliant episode, but fun enough (and probably the most Japanese thing I've ever seen XD) and we got more little details from the cast. It's fun to see they're trying to make the 'twerp' cast capable of holding episodes by themselves. No Team Rocket or side antagonists or even that much battling, just their own silly character antics and chemistries.

I liked Kaiwe's passion for the Z Moves is brought up again at last, and he is not just super friendly to Ash, he has standards to keep. Kukui, the actual authority figure meanwhile is much more approachable about it, loved seeing a 'not so above it all' side to him this episode too, sharing Rotom's passion for detective stories.

The others meanwhile are trying to cover for Ash, with Kaiwe being 'framed' by Rotom's incompetent sleuthing in the end (Lillie once again butts in his beeswax by pointing out the flaws in his deduction). While some of the students still need individual limelight, I'm liking their relationships so far, they all seem friends but they are aware of and take actions against their flaws, with little rivalries coming in to play intentionally or not.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

Oh, yeah, I forgot the anime doesn't do time passage.

Well maybe they'll do it and keep Ash ten, because reasons..
Not to mention that the fillers are actually enjoyable compared to the past series, especially the Johto and XY series fillers.

So far at least. XY had some good fillers (Mirror World and cross dress). SM could have some duds like the lockpick disaster.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm intrigued by how upbeat Kanto Vulpix was about Samson's conversation. Is it trying to join in the puns or something? Could make a fun foil for Samson if it manages the face pulls at least. XD

Samson Oak was making some kind of pun that involved "-kon," (I'm not sure, but it kind of sounded like Samson was saying ganbadakon, which sounds like a combination of ganbaru and -kon), and it seemed Vulpix (Rokon) was responding to that.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the anime doesn't do time passage.

Well maybe they'll do it and keep Ash ten, because reasons..

That would just cause the Pokémon universe to implode. It's safer to just not deal with the passing of time. :p

DatsRight

So far at least. XY had some good fillers (Mirror World and cross dress). SM could have some duds like the lockpick disaster.

I think the main problem was that most of XY's best fillers tended to still follow the standard formula with Ash and co getting caught in the middle of something and Team Rocket butting in, which by then had been done a billion times. Only BW and SM have tried more unique fillers revolved more around the protagonist's own story and antics (XY tried a handful but they were pretty unmemorable).

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I think the main problem was that most of XY's best fillers tended to still follow the standard formula with Ash and co getting caught in the middle of something and Team Rocket butting in, which by then had been done a billion times. Only BW and SM have tried more unique fillers revolved more around the protagonist's own story and antics (XY tried a handful but they were pretty unmemorable).

The fillers of XY were mostly all about the gang members instead of some CotD. There were very very few CotD + TR stealing pokemon episodes I can remember in XY. That was one of the advantages XY have over past series filler. Something similiar was also in DP, but instead of giving some protagonists minor spotlight/development, they actually focused on recurring characters and fixing some plot holes of previous series.

Can't really agree with you there. But maybe because XY's filler ratio was actually low enough due to the character centric fillers to give me the feeling that the rest of the episodes (filler) are actual classic filler.