• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Detective Rotom! The Mystery of the Lost Crystal!! (960)

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

[IMG300]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Whodunnit_ABC.jpg[/IMG300]

Pros:

* Rotom Dex being a fan of detective shows

* Dex getting its own episode and actually working out/not being insufferable

* "Stop it electric mouse!"

* Kiawe goes Kīlauea

Cons:

* Though episode wasn't bad, it did feel like an obligatory give-this-character-a-filler episode

Always search your pockets hair.

4/10

Last ten episodes ratings: 7/7.5/8/9/3.5/4/4/7/7.5/7
Average of episodes 1-10: 6.6/10

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Ooo a Smeargle, that is one rare pokemon! Definitely a strange episode but I thought it really was not bad. I found the detective angle to be somewhat believable and it even had a surprise ending.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Replacing Looker's theme from this episode was a really stupid (and cheap) move by TPCi.

Not to mention that they only kept the freaking title card theme.

Vipsoccermaster

Hilarious episode. Full of comedy. Loved how Ash's friends (except Kiawe) bring Ash away from Kiawe so he doesn't get seriously threatened by Kiawe, but it was busted later on, lol. I think Kiawe acted upon without knowing the full story. Don't mess with Kiawe if you lose something like a Z-Crystal, especially if it's from a guardian deity! Funny that Kiawe went after Rotom at the end, though.

Replacing Looker's theme from this episode was a really stupid (and cheap) move by TPCi.
How else is TPCi going to earn profits from the anime if they use Japanese music all the time? It's understandable that some fans don't like it, but it's business. It's usually smart to use something already done from before and cheap to use in order to earn profits and royalties. Sad for the fans, but it is what it is for businesses.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
How else is TPCi going to earn profits from the anime if they use Japanese music all the time? It's understandable that some fans don't like it, but it's business. It's usually smart to use something already done from before and cheap to use in order to earn profits and royalties. Sad for the fans, but it is what it is for businesses.
By composing crappy openings, writing lame scripts, making stupid censorship and voicing the Pokémon (most countries keep the English cries), then selling that product to the European countries. I think they get enough money with that. But yeah, I guess a poor company like TPCi needs even more, so they way to make more money is devaluate their product as much as they can.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Hilarious episode. Full of comedy. Loved how Ash's friends (except Kiawe) bring Ash away from Kiawe so he doesn't get seriously threatened by Kiawe, but it was busted later on, lol. I think Kiawe acted upon without knowing the full story. Don't mess with Kiawe if you lose something like a Z-Crystal, especially if it's from a guardian deity! Funny that Kiawe went after Rotom at the end, though.

I must say I honestly don't understand the fuss about the music. The dub may have louder BGM but that's not really the composer's decision. Also, since I've been paying attention to the music recently after learning about what a fuss it causes, I can say that both versions have about equal merit. Beisdes, TPCi isn't going to want to pay royalties again and again for 5 seconds of music.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I must say I honestly don't understand the fuss about the music. The dub may have louder BGM but that's not really the composer's decision. Also, since I've been paying attention to the music recently after learning about what a fuss it causes, I can say that both versions have about equal merit. Beisdes, TPCi isn't going to want to pay royalties again and again for 5 seconds of music.
Louder BGM? The dub has softer BGM, and they lower the volume specially when original music is played.

Also, how does TPCi pay royalties for 5 seconds of music if it's their music the one that lasts 5 seconds to change into a completely different theme all the time? The original themes have a good length. It's the European countries who have to pay royalties for a bunch of 5 second pieces played one after another!

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
That detective guy has an obnoxious attitude after solving a crime. Seriously.

The fact Ash somehow already knew Kiawe was going to chew him out for losing the Z-Crystal kind of detracts from the fact Kiawe would lose his ****. Seriously, it's like everyone knows so much about each other without telling the audience. It's just like how Ash's classmates freaked out about the idea of him even thinking...3 episodes after they met him.

When are we getting new S&M avatars? So much more potential...

I see a Riolu! Well, only its back.

And Rotomdex learns video camera recording. Not that Clemont had that skill or anything.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The fact Ash somehow already knew Kiawe was going to chew him out for losing the Z-Crystal kind of detracts from the fact Kiawe would lose his ****. Seriously, it's like everyone knows so much about each other without telling the audience. It's just like how Ash's classmates freaked out about the idea of him even thinking...3 episodes after they met him.

It's almost like they all went to school together. Eh, I just figure more time has passed than has actually been shown. We only get shown the (usually) exciting parts of the Pokemon School.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
THIS is how fillers should be. Funny, no FORCED cute Pokemon and just a great time throughout.
It's rare I like a filler without the TRio in it, most of those are garbage.
Whoever the dub picked for Kiawe was absolutely freaking perfect. He really suits the character.
10/10

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
For ****’s sake, dub, quit keeping unnecessary narration. Just because the JP version enjoys sticking it to the all-important rule of “show, don’t tell” doesn’t mean you need to. It’s okay to deviate from the JP version!

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but, this episode was just as useless in English as it was in Japanese.

Whoever the dub picked for Kiawe was absolutely freaking perfect. He really suits the character.
10/10

That would be Marc Swint, and yes, he's great.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Rotom didn't say enough zeroes in .0000002%

Nebbygetinthebag

This episode was hilarious I really love Rotom Dex and Kiawe and the dub was perfect I really like Kiawe voice it really suit his character.This filler episode was the best IMO.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
One of the funniest filler episodes of all time. It took me about 45 minutes to get through it because I kept rewinding and rewatching all the funny parts. Love how Mallow, Lillie, and Lana are so protective of Ash.

One thing this episode reminded me of is how many other kids/students are at the school. Why do we never see any of them?

Vipsoccermaster

One of the funniest filler episodes of all time. It took me about 45 minutes to get through it because I kept rewinding and rewatching all the funny parts. Love how Mallow, Lillie, and Lana are so protective of Ash.

One thing this episode reminded me of is how many other kids/students are at the school. Why do we never see any of them?
They're not important to the plot. They're probably there so the school doesn't look like Professor Kukui, Principal Oak, and the six main students own the place to themselves.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That was a wonderfully hilarious episode. I love that they're actually treating Rotomdex as his own character. Giving him an episode entirely focused on it was absolutely amazing. My one disappointment was the lack of Team Rocket, which seems to becoming a normal thing, sadly, but the episode was funny enough that they weren't missed that much.

Very, very meh episode.

COMMENTS

- Rotom isn't interesting to me at all. I just don't care.

- I did like some of the funny faces, like Kiawe's and Ash's.

--

Not much to say. Disappointing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Rotom Zukan's crazy antics made this episode stand out, although the blond wig was overkill. I loved the facial expressions in this episode, and the search for Satoshi's missing Z-Crystal had a rather predictable conclusion.