• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Pokedex Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Hopefully the version exclusives for moon will be cool/cute looking since it will be the version I will play most and try and complete the pokedex. If not I will go with sun. Luckily I have 2 3ds's so it's not a problem for me to trade between versions =)

Achernar

star-mapping pro
I have a feeling we would get to 850 in this generation. The odd numbered generations usually presents more pokemon than the even numbered ones.

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
I suspect that we will be seeing almost 0 Hoenn & Kalos region Pokémon, simply because those games are available, as well as having 0 Sinnoh Pokémon to give it an edge for the inevitable D/P remakes - if they are present in Alola, then there would be less of a reason to buy said remakes.

I do believe we will be seeing a lot of Isshu (I refuse to say the other name) Pokémon, as well as Generation 1&2 (which is supported by the fact that we've seen references to Horsea and Slowpoke.)

TLDR: lots of Gen 1/2/5, no Gen 3/4/6

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I suspect that we will be seeing almost 0 Hoenn & Kalos region Pokémon, simply because those games are available, as well as having 0 Sinnoh Pokémon to give it an edge for the inevitable D/P remakes - if they are present in Alola, then there would be less of a reason to buy said remakes.

I do believe we will be seeing a lot of Isshu (I refuse to say the other name) Pokémon, as well as Generation 1&2 (which is supported by the fact that we've seen references to Horsea and Slowpoke.)

Stuff like previously available games and future remakes never really affected the Pokedex, so I doubt it would here either.

nel3

Crimson Dragon

will they still have the data for gen 3/4 pkmn so you can actually use them ingame? entirely eliminating Hoenn and Sinnoh will totally destroy my team. i only use gen 1/2/3/4 on my battle team and a gen7 game with no Flygon data file(gen3) is not a game for me. i cant care too much for the loss of gen6 pkmn in gen 7 but i will miss using shiny greninja.

i likely wont buy gen 7 at all if they remove any and all data from gen 3/4 pkmn from the gen7 program files. i dont care it they remove capture programming file for gen 3/4/6 to save space. all i really care about is if they leave gen 3/4/6 as transfer only pkmn and thats one reason that i might get gen7.

clbgolden12

will they still have the data for gen 3/4 pkmn so you can actually use them ingame? entirely eliminating Hoenn and Sinnoh will totally destroy my team. i only use gen 1/2/3/4 on my battle team and a gen7 game with no Flygon data file(gen3) is not a game for me. i cant care too much for the loss of gen6 pkmn in gen 7 but i will miss using shiny greninja.

i likely wont buy gen 7 at all if they remove any and all data from gen 3/4 pkmn from the gen7 program files. i dont care it they remove capture programming file for gen 3/4/6 to save space. all i really care about is if they leave gen 3/4/6 as transfer only pkmn and thats one reason that i might get gen7.
I think he meant not including them in the Pokedex, not scrapping them completely.

Akashin

What? He's talking about the Regional Dex. Of course all 720+ Pokemon will still exist on a National Dex basis.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I think he meant not including them in the Pokedex, not scrapping them completely.
thank you for the reply, i dont mind that regional dex. i do think GF will need to scrap some pkmn eventually if sufficient future generations come to pass or start over new from scratch.

What? He's talking about the Regional Dex. Of course all 720+ Pokemon will still exist on a National Dex basis.

as long as gen 3/4 are listed in the national dex then im satified with it. removing those pkmn will totally alienate me from future pkmn games.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
thank you for the reply, i dont mind that regional dex. i do think GF will need to scrap some pkmn eventually if sufficient future generations come to pass or start over new from scratch.

as long as gen 3/4 are listed in the national dex then im satified with it. removing those pkmn will totally alienate me from future pkmn games.

I strongly believe that if they decided to actually 'scrap' any pokemon, it would greatly hurt the franchise as a whole. They couldn't even say it went extinct due to them being able to bring back fossils.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

But there were plenty of Unova and Hoenn Pokemon in Kalos, despite the recent Unova games and the upcoming Hoenn remakes.

Also, what's wrong with the name Unova? Don't you think it's a little silly to refer to a place by it's Japanese name when you speak English?

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
But there were plenty of Unova and Hoenn Pokemon in Kalos, despite the recent Unova games and the upcoming Hoenn remakes.

Also, what's wrong with the name Unova? Don't you think it's a little silly to refer to a place by it's Japanese name when you speak English?

I speak other languages, too. Fun fact: I've been one of the people who would feed you guys info each time a generation was introduced, starting with Johto.

Um...why would they be deleting them? I just said that in Alola, we wouldn't be seeing any native Gen 3/4/6 Pokémon. @_@

Stuff like previously available games and future remakes never really affected the Pokedex, so I doubt it would here either.

It actually affects the game selection when they release it in proximity. When a generation is 4 years apart from the previous, they tend to have more from other generations. When they're 3 years apart, they tend to have less from others.

Last edited by a moderator:

clbgolden12

It actually affects the game selection when they release it in proximity. When a generation is 4 years apart from the previous, they tend to have more from other generations. When they're 3 years apart, they tend to have less from others.
Yeah, but none of the Pokemon from those generations? Seems very unlikely.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i honestly do believe they will need to scrap some pkmn and risk hurting the franchise at some point. you can get an idea on how tight they are getting for space when they bring in these transfer only pkmn conditions. they could??? continue past 1000 pkmn but you'd be seeing alot of transfer only pkmn as they still need to do the generational gimmick/features and afterstory? plot. they will need to take serious risks unless they can compress the data/increase data storage to match the space requirements for the game programs of future generations.

clbgolden12

i honestly do believe they will need to scrap some pkmn and risk hurting the franchise at some point. you can get an idea on how tight they are getting for space when they bring in these transfer only pkmn conditions. they could??? continue past 1000 pkmn but you'd be seeing alot of transfer only pkmn as they still need to do the generational gimmick/features and afterstory? plot. they will need to take serious risks unless they can compress the data/increase data storage to match the space requirements for the game programs of future generations.
It should never get to the point where they start scrapping Pokemon. Maybe a point where we stop getting new Pokemon, but to stop including old ones would be horrible.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I speak other languages, too. Fun fact: I've been one of the people who would feed you guys info each time a generation was introduced, starting with Johto.

Okay, but you're still currently speaking English while conversing with us. Also, you never gave your reason for why you don't like the name Unova. I'm honestly curious.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
It should never get to the point where they start scrapping Pokemon. Maybe a point where we stop getting new Pokemon, but to stop including old ones would be horrible.

honestly, thats a 3rd option i didnt think to consider before. my previous 2 thoughts/options were to scrap some pkmn or just start a brand new slate and leave behind the previous pkmn.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Fresh start. They did this with Gen 5.
They can do it again. But they will always continue to provide us a way of catching older Pokemon. That's why post-games exist.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm ok with version exclusives just as long as they're possible to get without knowing somebody. My point is not everybody happens to have a best friend who has the opposite version and different starter and is willing to trade them to you.

I'm not exactly a fan of version exclusives myself cuz getting them can be a hassle when working on the Dex, but it's just how the games are unfortunately. ^^; Trading itself won't bother me much, but I do want to know what the Sun version exclusives will be cuz that's the game I plan to buy.

Navarch

I hope Alola has varied Pokemon in each area like Kalos did. Each Route offered completely different Pokemon than the last (for the most part, and besides fishing). One thing that was hard to get back into in ORAS was that there were tons of repeats (then again, they wanted to keep it close to RSE and couldn't exactly randomly add Unova or w/e Pokemon on the first Route). One feature I don't want to return is how new Pokemon were availible in ORAS towards the end of the game. I prefer that in the post-game. Either include outside Pokemon during the entire game, or save them for post-game, don't slap them in there.

goodpeople25

I'm kinda worried at how they seemed to emphasize yungooses commonness, I hope they didn't decide to backtrack too far away from what you said about the kalos dex.

Though i disagree about ORAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.