• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Pokedex Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Yeah, we need more than 72 pokemon this gen. We need to be able to have options for each type when it comes to using gen 7 pokemon. Gen 6 had a limited choice especially with Ground and Bug. 100-120 would be a good amount.
Limited choices for Poison as well (seriously, why does everyone forget poor ol' Poison? D: ).

Thankfully, we already have more Bugs than Kalos, and if Cutiefly and/or Wimpod evolve at least once then we'll have twice the amount (unless they change types upon evolving, which I doubt).

Last edited:

Toonadri

I actually think this gen will be similar to GEN III in numbers.
128 or so.

Also,anyone can confirm if people complatined about the lack of new pokemon? if they did it's pretty likely that we get +100,same happened with evolutions of older pokemon in GEN IV,some peopl complained in them because they apparently destroyed old pokemon and they where wasting a slot (yeah,it's stupid,but you know how people is).
Also, i don't know if people complained about unova having a lot of pokemon,but it wouldn't surprise me.

clbgolden12

I actually think this gen will be similar to GEN III in numbers.
128 or so.

Also,anyone can confirm if people complatined about the lack of new pokemon? if they did it's pretty likely that we get +100,same happened with evolutions of older pokemon in GEN IV,some peopl complained in them because they apparently destroyed old pokemon and they where wasting a slot (yeah,it's stupid,but you know how people is).
Also, i don't know if people complained about unova having a lot of pokemon,but it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm certain that the majority of people complained about the lack of Pokémon in gen 6.

Toonadri

I'm certain that the majority of people complained about the lack of Pokémon in gen 6.

Oh,then is pretty likely that we'll get over 100 pokemon then,don't expect unova's numbers,but don't worry about either...GF seems to care a lot of fanbase complains.
So 100-120 seems likely.

Anyway...72 wasn't THAT BAD as people make it to be since its an pair number gen,so it makes sense that it would have few,so i think some people where really exagerating about this.
Now,if we get less than 70 (witch is unlikely since we already have like 46 pretty much confirmed) it would complain,because there's no excuse to put less than 100 in this gen,really.

Hauke_von_Arding

Gen 6 had a lot of reasons why there were so few new pokemon for exemple:
-First game in full 3d means modelling all old pokemons into 3d.
-Many new Mega Evolutions (Mega Evolutions are new Pokemon too!)

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
Gen 6 had to make 720+ 3D models for all the Pokemon, plus a heap more for alternate forms and I think that's the reason why we didn't get as many new Pokemon in Gen 6 cause it would've taken up sooooooo much time to make them all. Also, they did say that they wanted the older gen pokemon to be focused on in the games, which I found silly.

However, Gen 7 is using the same 3D models as XY/ORAS, so this does give them a lot of extra time to do 100+ New Pokemon models since all the others were already done.

I'm estimating between 100-130 New Pokemon since it's obvious that these games have been in the works since X/Y were being made (all the hints in the games)

Toonadri

Gen 6 had to make 720+ 3D models for all the Pokemon, plus a heap more for alternate forms and I think that's the reason why we didn't get as many new Pokemon in Gen 6 cause it would've taken up sooooooo much time to make them all. Also, they did say that they wanted the older gen pokemon to be focused on in the games, which I found silly.

However, Gen 7 is using the same 3D models as XY/ORAS, so this does give them a lot of extra time to do 100+ New Pokemon models since all the others were already done.

I'm estimating between 100-130 New Pokemon since it's obvious that these games have been in the works since X/Y were being made (all the hints in the games)

I think Kalos pokedex,low amount of pokemon and a lot of megas where a Kalos one-time thing,just like Unova had only new pokemon,Kalos focused in old ones.
I expect Alola and the subsequent new regions to have a healthy mix to old and new like Jotho,Hoenn,Platinum and Unova (BW2),since it was Kalos gimmick most likely,if it isn't well i don't really care that much,since we'll get at leas 100 new pokemon witch is fine to me.
Also like you said they actually said thay old pokemon where the focus on XY,and the new pokemon where just to make fans happy.
In Alola they seem exited to reveal a lot of new bros,so i don't know what to think.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

I still wouldn't be surprised if we get around 70 again. I would love more, but it's a bit hard to see it happening at the moment. I wouldn't count on there being more than 100 though. Megas are likely still going to be made, so that still takes time to do in itself and they are essentially new Pokemon.

If we get around 70, then I expect the type coverage to balance out with Gen 6(For example, we are getting more Bugs this time but might not get many Dragons), and as well as get about 50 Megas again(Probably not all in Sun and Moon though).

If we get about 100 then hopefully each type gets a similar amount of distribution, and as for Megas, maybe 30 overall.

My main concern at the moment is the Pokemon distribution themselves. I really hope they make every Pokemon in the dex accessible early enough that you don't end up catching something late in the game and it evolves a level or two later. I like to be able to use each Pokemon a bit before it evolves and rather not have to resort to trading one over or using an Everstone/B button.

Achernar

star-mapping pro
There are still no indications that new mega evolutions would be made and I hope it stays that way, still betting around 120+ new pokemon. Megas were a Gen 6-specific mechanic and i highly doubt they would still take the center stage in gen 7. Theres a possibility of 5-10 but i really don't think gamefreak would make a repeat of gen 6, especially after some plights of fans saying that megas stole the slots for new pokemon lines in XY.

Toonadri

I still wouldn't be surprised if we get around 70 again. I would love more, but it's a bit hard to see it happening at the moment. I wouldn't count on there being more than 100 though. Megas are likely still going to be made, so that still takes time to do in itself and they are essentially new Pokemon.

If we get around 70, then I expect the type coverage to balance out with Gen 6(For example, we are getting more Bugs this time but might not get many Dragons), and as well as get about 50 Megas again(Probably not all in Sun and Moon though).

If we get about 100 then hopefully each type gets a similar amount of distribution, and as for Megas, maybe 30 overall.

My main concern at the moment is the Pokemon distribution themselves. I really hope they make every Pokemon in the dex accessible early enough that you don't end up catching something late in the game and it evolves a level or two later. I like to be able to use each Pokemon a bit before it evolves and rather not have to resort to trading one over or using an Everstone/B button.

I agee with this i was annoying to wait to end game to get bergmite in XY for example.

@Achermar
Megas are replaced by Synchro most likely...and i think synchro is by a milles far better mechanic that megas,i still didn't like them they where just a... weird mechanic imo,when they could been asily cross-gen evos,mega-heracross and mega-audion could been asily a cross-gen evo,but they weren't for some reason.
On the other hand i don't mind 3rd stage pokemon getting a mega,but non-fully evoloved getting one it wasn't something i personally like.

Last edited:

Achernar

star-mapping pro
I just hope that the new "synchro" evolution thing if ever it materializes would not compromise the number of new pokemon species for Gen 7.

Toonadri

I just hope that the new "synchro" evolution thing if ever it materializes would not compromise the number of new pokemon species for Gen 7.

It definitly won't,it's just a power-up for pokemon and a 5 move that's most likely exclusive for each pokemon species,witch is far more interesting than megas imo.

clbgolden12

There are still no indications that new mega evolutions would be made and I hope it stays that way, still betting around 120+ new pokemon. Megas were a Gen 6-specific mechanic and i highly doubt they would still take the center stage in gen 7. Theres a possibility of 5-10 but i really don't think gamefreak would make a repeat of gen 6, especially after some plights of fans saying that megas stole the slots for new pokemon lines in XY.
It may not take the center spotlight, but I highly doubt they won't make any new Megas. I can still see a couple coming.

Toonadri

It may not take the center spotlight, but I highly doubt they won't make any new Megas. I can still see a couple coming.

I don't see more than 10 new megas cooming,trough.
They seem to focus more in synchro and new pokemon this time around,so i don't think we'll get that many as GEN VI,i can be wrong of coruse.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I feel that synchro evolution, if that is what will happen, will be a variation of mega evolution similar to how primal reversion was basically mega evolution.

They wouldn't make as many new mega evolutions as with XY. XY introduced them so theere were of course a lot.

Well, yeah, obviously. But we got a lot in ORAS too.

Overall, we currently have 46 Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution, with 48 different variants (with Mewtwo and Charizard having two each). I believe the split is something along the lines of:
• XY; 28 Mega Evolutions introduced
• ORAS; 20 Mega Evolutions introduced (along with 2 Primal Reversions)

So, no, I don't think we'll see that number drop below 10 at this point in time, especially seeing as we still have no idea as to how Synchro Evolution could come into the main series games at this point, seeing as the focus may be on Synchro Moves at this point. I mean, we've had plenty of occasions where we were introduced to a Pokémon or form before it was incorporated into the game, and this could be a carrot they choose to dangle for a while. I think we'll be getting at least 15 newly introduced Mega Evolutions (Kalos, Unova, Johto and Sinnoh starters have yet to receive any, remember).

Ioneos

old geezer
Well, yeah, obviously. But we got a lot in ORAS too.

Overall, we currently have 46 Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution, with 48 different variants (with Mewtwo and Charizard having two each). I believe the split is something along the lines of:
• XY; 28 Mega Evolutions introduced
• ORAS; 20 Mega Evolutions introduced (along with 2 Primal Reversions)

So, no, I don't think we'll see that number drop below 10 at this point in time, especially seeing as we still have no idea as to how Synchro Evolution could come into the main series games at this point, seeing as the focus may be on Synchro Moves at this point. I mean, we've had plenty of occasions where we were introduced to a Pokémon or form before it was incorporated into the game, and this could be a carrot they choose to dangle for a while. I think we'll be getting at least 15 newly introduced Mega Evolutions (Kalos, Unova, Johto and Sinnoh starters have yet to receive any, remember).

Ok, I've been out of the Pokémon scene for a while: what's Synchro Evolution? I think I'm up to date with the weekly(ish) news that includes new Pokémon, but I haven't read anything about this. Is it confirmed, and if so what is it?

If this so called Synchro Evolution is coming to the game, I'm gonna make a bold prediction and wager that there will be no new Mega Evolutions in the game. That seemed like a semi-gimmick to combat power creep: kind of introducing new Pokémon, but also refreshing old designs while keeping them competitively relevant. I think the mechanic will remain in this gen but certainly won't be the focus alongside the supposed Synchro Evolutions.

clbgolden12

Ok, I've been out of the Pokémon scene for a while: what's Synchro Evolution? I think I'm up to date with the weekly(ish) news that includes new Pokémon, but I haven't read anything about this. Is it confirmed, and if so what is it?

If this so called Synchro Evolution is coming to the game, I'm gonna make a bold prediction and wager that there will be no new Mega Evolutions in the game. That seemed like a semi-gimmick to combat power creep: kind of introducing new Pokémon, but also refreshing old designs while keeping them competitively relevant. I think the mechanic will remain in this gen but certainly won't be the focus alongside the supposed Synchro Evolutions.
Syncrho Evolutions are a theorized new form like MEs. The idea originally came from Ash-Greninja from the anime who takes the appearance (kind of) like Ash, gets a super-powered Water Shuriken and seems to get powered up in general.

However, if they do become a thing I doubt they wouldn't make any new Megas, especially after how big they were in gen 6.

Ioneos

old geezer
Syncrho Evolutions are a theorized new form like MEs. The idea originally came from Ash-Greninja from the anime who takes the appearance (kind of) like Ash, gets a super-powered Water Shuriken and seems to get powered up in general.

However, if they do become a thing I doubt they wouldn't make any new Megas, especially after how big they were in gen 6.

That's interesting. Obviously I'd want to see examples of this, but that sounds cool. Similar enough to ME that it seems cool, but also different enough to warrant a new mechanic.

Still standing by the whole "one or the other" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.