• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Pokedex Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKS-Lapras

My only complaint about the Alola forms is that only Kanto Pokemon were granted these variations. I'm sorry, but Johto and gen 2 Pokemon are in sore need of attention. It is by far the most shafted gen, and it gets old.

So, I've been looking through the unobtainable Pokémon in SM so that I know who I should be looking out for in my playthrough of both Y and AS in a few months time to complete my entire National Living Dex, and found a few intriguing things when tabling Pokémon unobtainable from each region. Obviously, going into this, I expected both Hoenn and Kalos introduced Pokémon to be largely missing from the games due to their ominous inclusion in Gen VI(what being the region of exploration and all). Anyway,these are my findings:

Region Missing/Total (including event-only Pokémon) Missing/Total (excluding event-only Pokémon)* % of total (excluding event-only)

Kanto** | 54/151 | 53/150 | 35.3%
Johto | 54/100 | 53/99 | 53.5%
Hoenn | 94/135 | 93/134* | 69.4%
Sinnoh | 67/107 | 62/102 | 60.8%
Unova | 89/156 | 86/153 | 56.2%
Kalos | 56/72 | 53/69 | 76.8%

*Deoxys no longer counted as event-only due to its inclusion in the Delta Episode of ORAS
**Alola Form Pokémon used as proxies for their alternate forms

What should be taken away from this?
Well, as expected, Hoenn and Kalos introduced Pokémon have the largest portions of those introduced in that region missing. Kanto has a very, very low amount of Pokémon missing from its respective Dex, and Johto, Unova and Sinnoh are all almost equally apart. So, yes, of anything, I think that this could easily be misconstrued for use in an argument as to the possibility of Sinnoh remakes, especially when taken into account that out of the last three pairs of games, the Sinnoh starters took the longest to acquire, with Johto, Unova and Alola (obviously) starters being in SM - making the former two very unlikely for remakes - and Kanto, Hoenn and Kalos starters all being available very early into the Gen VI games.

Last edited:

DJStarstryker

Well, as expected, Hoenn and Kalos introduced Pokémon have the largest portions of those introduced in that region missing. Kanto has a very, very low amount of Pokémon missing from its respective Dex, and Johto, Unova and Sinnoh are all almost equally apart. So, yes, of anything, I think that this could easily be misconstrued for use in an argument as to the possibility of Sinnoh remakes, especially when taken into account that out of the last three pairs of games, the Sinnoh starters took the longest to acquire, with Johto, Unova and Alola (obviously) starters being in SM - making the former two very unlikely for remakes - and Kanto, Hoenn and Kalos starters all being available very early into the Gen VI games.

Thanks for looking into/posting this. That's some really interesting speculation. If they do end up making another pair of games for Gen 7, I do feel like it'll most likely be either a Sun2/Moon2 or a D/P/Pt remake. The latter feels more likely somehow, even though I personally would rather have the former if they do one of the two.

As someone who skipped Gen 6 completely, the fact that I can get so few Kalos Pokemon has been disappointing for me. Definitely looking forward to another pair of Gen 7 games, or at the very least trading with people once Bank launches.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
As someone who skipped Gen 6 completely, the fact that I can get so few Kalos Pokemon has been disappointing for me. Definitely looking forward to another pair of Gen 7 games, or at the very least trading with people once Bank launches.

I am actually surprised by the lack of Gen 6 Pokemon. Really urges you to get XY.

I have the same thoughts. I would really like to point out more references that could hint to Gen 4 remakes, but it's not the right time...

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
My only complaint about the Alola forms is that only Kanto Pokemon were granted these variations. I'm sorry, but Johto and gen 2 Pokemon are in sore need of attention. It is by far the most shafted gen, and it gets old.
True, but at the same time it makes sense since this year marks the franchise's 20th anniversary, so I can see why they would only give Alolan forms to pokémon from the generation that started it all.

However, if we do get more main series games for Gen VII, I can see this as an opportunity to create new forms for later generating by introducing either new Alolan forms for Sun & Moon 2 or Sinnoh forms for Diamond and Pearl remakes. If it's the latter, I'd probably expect a lot of Ice types to go with how the Sinnoh region is based on Hokkaido

EverChanger

エヴァーチェンジャー
While I do long for a return to the days where you could catch nearly every existing Pokémon between two games (Diamond & Pearl were only missing fifty, and only two of those were non-Starter and non-Legendary), it does seem pretty unfeasible to cram nearly eight hundred creatures into a single pair. That said, Sun & Moon are missing a lot. I hope the transition to the Switch allows for larger regions and thus more overall space to hide Pokémon; catching them all is the main attraction of the games for me, so I'd hope Generation VIII will allow for catching at least 600 of the presumably 900 or so total at that point.

Last edited:

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy

I agree with this. It would be nice for Kanto pokemon to step aside and let other gens get different forms.
But then they are trying to appeal to the older fans lol.

I don't like how Tyranitar was left out of the Alola dex. The only pseudo legend to be left out. When Alola's islands have some habitats that just "scream" Tyranitar.
Caves and mounrains for example.

Oh well lol.

The lack of Kalos pokemon is annoying to. I have XY. But I can see how it would be hard for players without the gen 6 games.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
With Minior, what items do you think work best with it due to its ability?

RedJirachi

Veteran member

xenlock

I agree with this. It would be nice for Kanto pokemon to step aside and let other gens get different forms.
But then they are trying to appeal to the older fans lol.

I don't like how Tyranitar was left out of the Alola dex. The only pseudo legend to be left out. When Alola's islands have some habitats that just "scream" Tyranitar.
Caves and mounrains for example.

Oh well lol.

The lack of Kalos pokemon is annoying to. I have XY. But I can see how it would be hard for players without the gen 6 games.
They should've included a couple of Alolan forms for some Johto Pokemons.

While I do long for a return to the days where you could catch nearly every existing Pokémon between two games (Diamond & Pearl were only missing fifty, and only two of those were non-Starter and non-Legendary), it does seem pretty unfeasible to cram nearly eight hundred creatures into a single pair. That said, Sun & Moon are missing a lot. I hope the transition to the Switch allows for larger regions and thus more overall space to hide Pokémon; catching them all is the main attraction of the games for me, so I'd hope Generation VIII will allow for catching at least 600 of the presumably 900 or so total at that point.

Even before Sun and Moon came out, I had a bad feeling that the Alola Pokedex would be limited. Seems like with each new generation, the number of catchable Pokemon steadily declines.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Even before Sun and Moon came out, I had a bad feeling that the Alola Pokedex would be limited. Seems like with each new generation, the number of catchable Pokemon steadily declines.

To be fair, all Pokemon are obtainable in Gen 6 between XY & ORAS alone.
Gen 4 & 5 both rely on prior generations to catch every single Pokemon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm glad I don't have to get all 800+ Pokemon to get that precious Shiny Charm

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
But then they are trying to appeal to the older fans lol
It's an anniversary game, so they want to focus on that period. I guess that makes sense!

Obviously the game is different from those, they don't want to forget them though in this release.. We'll see what happens to Alolan forms or other new region's forms later.

Status
Not open for further replies.