• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
The world's largest Alolan Exeggutor.

It would be hilarious if it were like the Onix monument in the Sevii Islands. Like if a trainer wanted to bury their precious, deceased partner, but they dug too small of a hole, so it just stuck out of the ground.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Look like a palm tree to me. I'm under the impression it's just a bit of art to spice the overall look up. And not anything significant that we can actually visit.
Then why would they try and hide it behind some clouds? It definitely seems important.

R_N

The "beanstalk" looks more like a giant tree sapling IMO, but maybe that's just me.

Even if it's just a sapling it's still not really related to AZ at all

The one tree he is associated with is big, but it's normal-tree-big not giagantic sapling big

clbgolden12

Even if it's just a sapling it's still not really related to AZ at all

The one tree he is associated with is big, but it's normal-tree-big not giagantic sapling big
Maybe this time Floette helped grow the tree and that's why it's so big?

I dunno, just an idea.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I honestly think the mysterious palm tree/sprout/whatever it is, is something completely unrelated to anything we already know about.

The secrets...

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
But we do know that the said island is not present on the in-game map, and is actually hidden until post-game.

xmLKnR4.png

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
But we do know that the said island is not present on the in-game map, and is actually hidden until post-game.

xmLKnR4.png

True, and even post game areas (the Sevii Islands and Kanto not withstanding, as they had separate maps/sections of the map) typically appear on the map unobscured.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we had some post game area(s) we could explore, but given the nature of Alola's geography, I wouldn't be surprised if it was off the main map.

R_N

I really want to know what's going on under the lower center clouds

They're so eye catching that there's gotta be something under there, but even the offiicial artwork doesn't have cloud cover, just open ocean. But also, the entire island lay out is position liked it goes around it!

maniacmaison

I don't think that thing on the hidden island in the upper right corner is a tree, its shape is weird and way too big. I has to be the actual shape of the island seen in perspective.

Also, if you look at the official artwork of the Alola region it looks like there's a submarine island in the part that is hidden in clouds in the in-game map. Like there's something there that will come to surface sometime during the story?

Anyway, I made a size comparison of the different islands using Melemele:
alola-comparison.jpg

Akala is almost three times bigger
The big island is five times bigger
The legend island is almost two times bigger

How big do you think this region is? Im having trouble imagining the scale using the official artwork, it looks small to me.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I really want to know what's going on under the lower center clouds

They're so eye catching that there's gotta be something under there, but even the offiicial artwork doesn't have cloud cover, just open ocean. But also, the entire island lay out is position liked it goes around it!
As maniacmaison said, it does appear as if there is a shallower (lighter blue) area on the official art and it could well be that it is an island that rises during the course of the game. Hotspots form new islands all the time, and sometimes their emergence from the sea can be quite sudden and dramatic. A new island in the chain appearing in the middle of the curve would require some seriously weird plate movement, but GF isn't exactly one for following real world geological convention. ;)

I don't think that thing on the hidden island in the upper right corner is a tree, its shape is weird and way too big. I has to be the actual shape of the island seen in perspective.

Also, if you look at the official artwork of the Alola region it looks like there's a submarine island in the part that is hidden in clouds in the in-game map. Like there's something there that will come to surface sometime during the story?

Anyway, I made a size comparison of the different islands using Melemele:
View attachment 16115

Akala is almost three times bigger
The big island is five times bigger
The legend island is almost two times bigger

How big do you think this region is? Im having trouble imagining the scale using the official artwork, it looks small to me.
Because of the curvature on the image, we're almost seeing that island in profile, so I don't think it can just be the shape of it. It's definitely something sprout-shaped sticking out of it.

clbgolden12

Maybe, or maybe it's just there to add some life to the artwork. It's just a tiny island with one tree, nothing special.
If it's just some tiny tree, how much more "life" could it add to the artwork?

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
True, and even post game areas (the Sevii Islands and Kanto not withstanding, as they had separate maps/sections of the map) typically appear on the map unobscured.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we had some post game area(s) we could explore, but given the nature of Alola's geography, I wouldn't be surprised if it was off the main map.

oo, a "secret" area, not plot-important, that you only find if you cross a large stretch of ocean that doesn't look immediately crossible because of rocks and no trainers and whatnot would be fun. I'm the type who in open-world games will stubbornly run along all the edges of a place until I find a loophole to climb up (ie. mountain climbing up sheer cliff-faces in skyrim), in ways that you're not necessarily supposed to, so them making an area like that would be a fun surprise.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Maybe, or maybe it's just there to add some life to the artwork. It's just a tiny island with one tree, nothing special.
There is literally no reason to add an island, add a weird single tree, then cover it up with clouds. It is obviously hinting something. If it was just map flavour, there would likely be more than one scattered around (like, say, the boats), and there'd be no reason to obscure it.

If it's just some tiny tree, how much more "life" could it add to the artwork?
Tiny!? Do you realise how huge that tree is compared to the other islands? It's taller than the hotel on the north-eastern island! This on a map where all other trees are so small as to be blurs. (I mean, except the other giant one...). Whatever the thing is, it's huge.

goodpeople25

While I'm in the middle here, the obscured by clouds thing has a bit less wieght for me in alola than other regions due to the whole 4 islands thing. So there's kinda a reason to only focus on the main 4. (And the mini islands closer to them)

clbgolden12

Tiny!? Do you realise how huge that tree is compared to the other islands? It's taller than the hotel on the north-eastern island! This on a map where all other trees are so small as to be blurs. (I mean, except the other giant one...). Whatever the thing is, it's huge.
I only described it as "tiny" because that's how Nuun described it. I know it is decently large.

Status
Not open for further replies.