• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red and Blue

Yeah all signs are pointing to this being a new reigion based on Hawaii. The whole "southern Kalos" stuff is Bullcrap.

And yet people will insist this is 6.5

Yeah all signs are pointing to this being a new reigion based on Hawaii. The whole "southern Kalos" stuff is Bullcrap.

And yet people will insist this is 6.5

Don't bring that argument here please. It belongs on the "6.5 or 7?" thread, which is hard enough a read as it is.

misunderstoodhero

I'm guessing Hawaii too - a lot of stuff just adds up to that being the case.
If not, I'd also wager a guess on Spain (Still think this game connecting to France/Kalos is somewhat plausible.) Egypt (Much of their mythology is based around the sun and moon) or back to Japan, for the whole mythology thing again and Gaijin Goomba made a pretty strong case for it.
Still; Hawaii is what I'd bet on right now.

john90

hawaii_pokemon_sun_moon_by_giovannihp90-d9thavq.png

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
In regards to the waterfall flowing backward, couldn't that be referencing the Reverse World in Platinum? The water at Waipuhia Falls doesn't actually flow backward, the wind just makes it look that way because it picks up the water as it falls.

That said, the Hawaii idea is interesting. We did just have Hoenn remakes; I'm wondering, if it is Hawaii, will there be any in-game connection to the other tropical island?

Retr0Capez

Data Miner
I still can't understand why it would be Hawaii. America was already included, and I don't think Japan is going to do a repeat America, even if Hawaii is not attached to mainland America. I would see it as 2nd Gen in another dimension, kind of how X & Y was.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I have been thinking over this "Hawaii" idea, and I am thinking it could work quite well. The suspicions that we have been having over the past few days seem like they mostly make sense to me.
I just pulled up a picture of the Hawaiian Islands, and although there is a biggest island, there are several other islands that the biggest island is not that much bigger than the others. This has given me the idea that perhaps if this Hawaii thing is correct, then perhaps there could be more than one large landmass instead of something like Hoenn (where we had a much larger landmass with a few much smaller islands). This is just an idea, but it interested me a bit.

Firebrand

Indomitable
In regards to the waterfall flowing backward, couldn't that be referencing the Reverse World in Platinum? The water at Waipuhia Falls doesn't actually flow backward, the wind just makes it look that way because it picks up the water as it falls.

Yeah, I read that as a distortion world reference, myself.

1. The bird Pokémon, from the little we see, has a lot in common with the red-crested Cardinal, native to Hawaii:
What we saw: https://m.imgur.com/account/GamingNews101/images/OdLJkIW
Red-crested Cardinal: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-crested_cardinal

2. the number plates having rainbows (look closely at the plates of the truck https://m.imgur.com/account/GamingNews101/images/RA2sChC )... http://www.15q.net/hi.html

3. that lady in XY talked of somewhere in the world where a waterfall flows backwards. I believe she could be referencing Waipuhia Falls, in Oahu, Hawaii.
http://onlyinhawaii.org/upside-waterfall-oahu-hawaii/

4. the Strange Souvenir. Though many had it vetted as relating to Rayquaza (Hoenn would fit the description of a far off land), it doesn't look a thing like Rayquaza and could easily be in reference to Hawaiian Tiki masks.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki

5. Looking now at the vehicles, a quick search for "Hawaiian ambulances" and "Hawaiian fire trucks" shows that the art shown is very similar to the real-life versions in Hawaii.

6. The hotel-like structure ( https://m.imgur.com/account/GamingNews101/images/b7WgBln ) bearing a resemblance to the Hawaiian Palace ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ʻIolani_Palace )

There's also multiple other things I'm looking into, such as the space observatories (Mauna Kea: https://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/ ) and Rainbow Falls (a supposed leaked list of first party Nintendo games this year had "Niji" down. This was evident early in the official Pokémon Sun and Moon site's subscript but has since been replace, sparking more belief that the list isn't wrong at all).

Compelling, okay, so I get where this is coming from. Still, I'm holding out until we actually see more before coming down on one side or the other. And while a Hawaii or similarly Oceania inspired nation might be cool, maybe... not right now. Give it some time. We did just have Hoenn, and so the whole tropical island aesthetic thing is going to feel a little recycled coming hot on the heels of ORAS.

Still, ever since I was a little kid, I did want a region composed mostly of islands that one could surf between, an archipelago that was like an expanded Sevii islands.

Red and Blue

Wasnt Gen 3 criticized for too much water? I just hope they use Hawaii in a creative way

unmindful

Poison Pumpkin

That said, the Hawaii idea is interesting. We did just have Hoenn remakes; I'm wondering, if it is Hawaii, will there be any in-game connection to the other tropical island?
In isolation, it could be a reference to the Distortion World. But another tourist NPC gives you the Strange Souvenir that looks suspiciously like a tiki. Hawaii does has an upside down waterfall that appears to be flowing backwards. Could be a coincidence or a hint. (Also Waipuhia Falls in the Pokemon world could flow backwards since it's fantasy.)

Also, would the Distortion World be common knowledge?

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
What if the region isn't the Hawaiian equivalent of the Pokemon world per se but instead be based on or inspired by Hawaii. We already had Humilau city which was inspired by Hawaii but georaphically was located were Long Island would be. What if they do the same but we get a Hawaiian inspired Corsica. This would allow us to travel back to Kalos just how we were able to in Gen II by going from Johto to Kanto.

I've already listed in another thread how Gen II could share thematic/gameplay motifs with Sun and Moon most notably that Gen II introduced the Day/Night cycle and Day/Night evolutions with Espeon and Umbreon.

Have people already discredited or forgotten about the Norse mythological references in XY? One of the key things missing was the Bifröst, the rainbow bridge. And what do bridges do? They facilitate travel from two seperate locations, they connect places and people.

I would love for this to be similar to Gen II where we could visit the former region while being an entirely new generation.

Last edited:

Squirtlesurfer

What if the region isn't the Hawaiian equivalent of the Pokemon world per se but instead be based or inspired by Hawaii. We already had Humilau city which was inspired by Hawaii but georaphically was located were Long Island would be. What if they do the same but we get a Hawaiian inspired Corsica. This would allow us to travel back to Kalos just how we were able to in Gen II by going from Johto to Kanto.

I've already listed in another thread how Gen II could share thematic/gameplay motifs with Sun and Moon most notably that Gen II introduced the Day/Night cycle and Day/Night evolutions with Espeon and Umbreon.

Have people already discredited or forgotten about the Norse mythological references in XY? One of the key things missing was the Bifröst, the rainbow bridge. And what do bridges do? They facilitate travel from two seperate locations, they connect places and people.

I would love for this to be similar to Gen II where we could visit the former region while being an entirely new generation.

These are a lot of great points ^^

I agree there a lot of things possibly indicating Hawaii, but what about the building looking EXACTLY like the Raffles Hotel in Singapore?

CLHI9kV.jpg

LizardonX

Banned
Perhaps the region isn't Hawaii, but a conglomerate of pacific island civilizations.

How would some random lady in XY know about the Distortion world?

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
These are a lot of great points ^^

I agree there a lot of things possibly indicating Hawaii, but what about the building looking EXACTLY like the Raffles Hotel in Singapore?

CLHI9kV.jpg

There are hotels that look like that all over the world.

Have you seen the luxury hotels in Monaco? Palm trees are included.

MerCurry

Functioning Idiot
I'm waiting until we get confirmation as well, but I am so into the new region possibly being South Pacific/Hawaii inspired.

Just for the sheer irony of playing in a topical region when it's dead cold outside next holiday.

Squirtlesurfer

There are hotels that look like that all over the world.

Have you seen the luxury hotels in Monaco? Palm trees are included.

I'm sure there are a lot of hotels of a similar style but I haven't seen one that matches the exact angle of the wings and pointed roofs on the sides with poles on top and the same awning just like this one. Which isn't to say they couldn't use this hotel as inspiration for a design in a fictional hawaii or other region, just seems very clear this was their inspiration for this particular building.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I'm sure there are a lot of hotels of a similar style but I haven't seen one that matches the exact angle of the wings and pointed roofs on the sides with poles on top and the same awning just like this one. Which isn't to say they couldn't use this hotel as inspiration for a design in a fictional hawaii or other region, just seems very clear this was their inspiration for this particular building.

They are similar but I wouldn't say they are 1:1.

Tuoko

I'm pretty much leaning towards the new region being Hawaii. I love tropical regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.