• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

szmty

THIS CITY IS OURS!
(Darn it, I'm also disliking how obviously Hawaiian the region is, with people calling you "cousin" and having Hawaiian names, when even Kalos felt more international/neutral in those regards. The fact that the region's name is only one letter short of Aloha doesn't help).

Hawaii has 8 main islands, but only 6 are open to visitors.

Outside of that, it also has a small chain of islands, reefs and atolls called "Leeward Islands".

We don't know if GF will limit us to the 8 main islands, or include the Leeward islands.

I doubt they'll include that many. Again, I'm thinking they'll synthesise Hawaii into four large islands because there isn't that much in those atolls (they're completely uninhabited) and because of the system's constraints.

I really, really want to think that this is will be a good region.

Do you guys have any other idea on how they could handle the region? (In the sense of land routes and cities, because as I also said before, there aren't many other cities in the other islands)

S/D/J

It would be kinda cool if the islands were non-linear, and you had the choice of which ones to go to first. The gym leaders' Pokemon could be adjusted accordingly.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well Alola being based on Hawaii was expected, and the region looks fantastic from the map that we've seen. It's certainly very tropical-looking, which I'm fond of. :3

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I doubt they'll include that many. Again, I'm thinking they'll synthesise Hawaii into four large islands because there isn't that much in those atolls (they're completely uninhabited) and because of the system's constraints.

Do you guys have any other idea on how they could handle the region? (In the sense of land routes and cities, because as I also said before, there aren't many other cities in the other islands)

Hawaii is just a basis. They can put a desert, a graveyard, an abandoned power plant, a resort, a jungle, a metropolis, or even a battle facility of sorts on those islands.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
(Darn it, I'm also disliking how obviously Hawaiian the region is, with people calling you "cousin" and having Hawaiian names, when even Kalos felt more international/neutral in those regards. The fact that the region's name is only one letter short of Aloha doesn't help).

From the way things are like in the trailer, GAMEFREAK seems to be taking a huge cultural influence on the Alola region.

This likely means that whatever towns are in Hawaii will be precisely expressed in the games. There are about 16 cities in Hawaii with a population over 10,000, meaning there are more than enough places for Sun and Moon to cover without even splitting a town into more than one section.

With that, this leaves me to believe the island we see now may only be 'Honolulu.' If there are in fact more islands, the other towns will be there instead.

szmty

THIS CITY IS OURS!
Hawaii is just a basis. They can put a desert, a graveyard, an abandoned power plant, a resort, a jungle, a metropolis, or even a battle facility of sorts on those islands.

I'm not sure. It rather looks like they'll try to make it as realistic as possible this time.

From the way things are like in the trailer, GAMEFREAK seems to be taking a huge cultural influence on the Alola region.

This likely means that whatever towns are in Hawaii will be precisely expressed in the games. There are about 16 cities in Hawaii with a population over 10,000, meaning there are more than enough places for Sun and Moon to cover without even splitting a town into more than one section.

With that, this leaves me to believe the island we see now may only be 'Honolulu.' If there are in fact more islands, the other towns will be there instead.

Of course this is only Honolulu and of course there will be more islands, but still, those towns in the other islands are too small, and there should be at least two more large cities in the region. Like Wulava says, they could change whatever they want, but again, from how this looks, I'm not so sure.

Alola feels like a resort, post-game region to me. That "Welcome to paradise" quote from the same guy who calls you "cousin" gives me that taste. I'd love it if you had to leave Alola at one point in midgame for X reason (say South Kalos/Hoenn, perhaps somehow shoving Zygarde into the plot so it doesn't get wasted), then having to return in order to save the region. Now that would be lovely.

unmindful

Poison Pumpkin
I'm not sure. It rather looks like they'll try to make it as realistic as possible this time.

Of course this is only Honolulu and of course there will be more islands, but still, those towns in the other islands are too small, and there should be at least two more large cities in the region. Like Wulava says, they could change whatever they want, but again, from how this looks, I'm not so sure.

Alola feels like a resort, post-game region to me. That "Welcome to paradise" quote from the same guy who calls you "cousin" gives me that taste. I'd love it if you had to leave Alola at one point in midgame for X reason (say South Kalos/Hoenn, perhaps somehow shoving Zygarde into the plot so it doesn't get wasted), then having to return in order to save the region. Now that would be lovely.
At least, as Rakurai said, Hawaii already has a pretty diverse biome. Sticking to realism won't mean a samey region in this case.
And leaving the region midgame sounds pretty awkward. Especially if all the badges haven't been collected/beaten the Elite 4. I don't really think it's necessary to revisit Kalos at all. (As in the main XY plot is finished.)

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I decide to give this region a try and see how well it is done. Maybe new areas/islands are unlocked after pokemon league?

Pilpulp

美的
Thank you for that correction because I have been wondering with the size of the island as well being to small, so that clarification also helps, but it makes me wonder why they only showed part of the region then?

To not give away the entire game?

I hope they don't spoil this game to death like ORAS.

Last edited:

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
The part of the region that we have seen so far looks amazing. Hawaii is definitely a major inspiration for Alola. If you notice in the starting town, next to, what I assume, if the Professor's lab, looks to be an opening to a forest. Also, the route that is south of the starting town appears to split into to separate routes. If you look closely at the easternmost route, you'll see dark green patches throughout it as well as near the coast which more than likely indicates where the tall grass is. I was slightly concerned that they were changing how wild Pokemon are encountered, but alas my worries are put to rest for now.

szmty

THIS CITY IS OURS!
At least, as Rakurai said, Hawaii already has a pretty diverse biome. Sticking to realism won't mean a samey region in this case.
And leaving the region midgame sounds pretty awkward. Especially if all the badges haven't been collected/beaten the Elite 4. I don't really think it's necessary to revisit Kalos at all. (As in the main XY plot is finished.)

I've read that about the biomes a lot of times, but somehow, I'm still unconvinced. Sure, there's snow atop of Mauna Kea, but there's snow atop of almost any mountain that is that high, and most of Hawaii is still tropical forests.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I'm a little tired of the tropical setting. By November, we will have been playing in a tropical region for two years, and having to play in Alola will mean another two years of the same kind of ecosystem.

The thing with Kalos is that I really feel that everything about it was incomplete. The plot was quite shallow and open-ended in comparison to that of Sinnoh and Unova, and Zygarde is literally just there to fill space. I think it's very, very strange that they built up all the hype for that Pokémon if they weren't going to put it in the next game. That would be the only reason why I think a Kalos visit is necessary. They need to wrap it up.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yeah, the way Kalos was handled was pretty sloppy, especially with Eternal Floette.

If we don't return to Kalos, it will just be a good region wasted.

szmty

THIS CITY IS OURS!
Yeah, the way Kalos was handled was pretty sloppy, especially with Eternal Floette.

If we don't return to Kalos, it will just be a good region wasted.

Agreed. I think Kalos was rushed, just like the rest of the generation; there weren't many spinoffs and only two base games for the new region instead of a third version or sequels. I thought that this gen would last at least one more year before it was shelved, but alas.

I also think that is strange that they're doing new games for a console that will soon be replaced, but then, they did the same with Gen. V.

Cradily17

I really love the way the region is set up. Instead of a grid-based map like in the Gen 6 games, the locations appear to be a lot more expansive and open.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I really love the way the region is set up. Instead of a grid-based map like in the Gen 6 games, the locations appear to be a lot more expansive and open.

I'm guessing the lack of a grid is mostly an illusion. Once we actually start playing it will feel more like a grid is in place.

Creyk

Agreed. I think Kalos was rushed, just like the rest of the generation; there weren't many spinoffs and only two base games for the new region instead of a third version or sequels. I thought that this gen would last at least one more year before it was shelved, but alas.

I also think that is strange that they're doing new games for a console that will soon be replaced, but then, they did the same with Gen. V.

We needed the spotlight to be on the countless mobile games instead :S
Pokemon Go might make it all worth it, though

Firebrand

Indomitable
I'm starting to wonder if they'll do something with the Mauna Kea observatory. It would make for a great mountain to climb with something analogous with the Mossdeep Space Center at the end. Especially considering that celestial bodies play such a central role in this game, it would be tragic if one of the foremost land-based astronomy sites on Earth was snubbed.

Cerex

It seems pretty clear that there will be other islands, and what were provided is just the starting island/location. There is even what looks like a port on the south western side of the city, which I am assuming is what we will use initially to go back and forth. If we have the soaring ability from OR/AS brought over in either new legendaries or particular flying type Pokemon that will be a cool feature. This does bring new potential for the gameplay and story as you might have to be going back and forth to different islands to accomplish certain tasks or defeat the evil team, kind of like the Delta Episode.

Overall I'm excited. I really like the idea of an archipelago, and Hawaii is a great location to serve as inspiration for that.

sheld999

Hawaii has 8 main islands, but only 6 are open to visitors.

Outside of that, it also has a small chain of islands, reefs and atolls called "Leeward Islands".

Hawaiianislandchain_USGS.png

We don't know if GF will limit us to the 8 main islands, or include the Leeward islands.

maybe the island thats not open to public is a pokemon reserve island or something

Just trying to think of major Hawaiian landmarks and I have to say, it's great that the majority that come to mind are exclusively naturally occurring; definitely gives me the feeling the evil team will be trying to preserve the culture of Alola and be against tourism.

If the island we're seeing is pulled from any, it's definitely Oahu, considering the extinct volcano (Diamondback), the harbour (Pearl Harbour?), meaning that city could well be Honolulu, the capital.

I'd love to see the Mauna Kea Space Observatory, and honestly, I kind of expect them to include it. Pretty confident we'll get a number of waterfalls and volcanoes, obviously, as well as a national park and sea life area in a cove or something.

But can I just say that Molokini island would be a near lock if we hadn't already had Cresent Island in Gen IV? I mean, it's the shape of a crescent...

Status
Not open for further replies.