• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola to New Adventure! (944)

Aleh

«Last Hope»
This was EPIC! So refreshing, funny, and Alola in the anime simply looks gorgeous and fun. I loved every moment of this, can't wait for subs to understand what they said but other than that 10/10 episodes. I really got a feel of wonder while watching this.

phanpycross

God-king
"Stupid childish Artstyle"

[IMG139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/Steffenskare/7a04674f-7030-4bba-aba8-4b26909d4d2a_zpsrvlabpoe.png[/IMG139]

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
-I love the role reversal in this. Ash doesn't know who Team Skull is and Mao chan had to explain to him who they are and they basically have the same vibe as Team Rocket but more Pokémon!

-Mao-Ash friendship vibes!

-I couldn't believe the scenes in Pallet Town was fast forwarded! I thought that there was something wrong! That was hilarious on how rushed him and his mother was! LOL!

-Absolutely died laughing at the Ash and Bewear scene!! And Ash trying to get Grubbin was great as well. I wished that he didn't leave his mother and Mimey :(

-Principal Samson and his Pokémon quirks/puns. @_@

-Kiawe's Z Move was complete overkill! TS' Pokémon made the wrong move! o_O

-Pikachu cute moments were cute

-I liked Kapu Kokeko watching Ash in the distance and the one time when Ash saw it, nobody saw it

Overall good start episode, my only complaint is that it was a bit too fast paced in some scenes like the opening scenes and Ash getting his Z Ring handed to him

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Love what I'm seeing in the screencaps, can't wait to see the rest!!

I'm assuming the "reset" fears were mostly unfounded, then? It sounds like the continuity has been just fine so far!

Xuxuba

"Stupid childish Artstyle"

[IMG139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/Steffenskare/7a04674f-7030-4bba-aba8-4b26909d4d2a_zpsrvlabpoe.png[/IMG139]

It can be childish sometimes, but it's supposed to be childish. I think the main problem is not that but rather how there are times it doesn't look like Sugimori artstyle at all.
It doesn't make it unwatchable though.

Anyway, who's Mallow's senyuu? I think i heard her voice on something else.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

The episode was really great and I knew the whole slapstick comedy shtick was a facade. There were a lot of tense scenes and Ash showing off his skills to Alan...I mean Kiawe was great. I like all the characters except Sophocles. He can go roll into a hole with Togedemaru.

Supersonicbro

The first episode was amazing, currently watching it again (and will watch it a third time with subs), but I have to say my favorite part was with Bewear. From it's voice and how excited it got that it started destroying everything (along with ash's reaction when it broke the first tree), was amazing and had me cracking up every time i watched it.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I don't recall if they've ever introduced so many new pokemon at the start of a generation in a single episode before, really added to the excited feel!

diakyu

Uh, pardon my ignorance but do we know what's in the egg? This is the first I'm seeing it.

Jason3b93

I'll wait to the subs to watch, but I'm really surprised with the good reviews. I'm not expecting much, but I hope I'll get surprised =)

Supersonicbro

Uh, pardon my ignorance but do we know what's in the egg? This is the first I'm seeing it.

my first thought was that it was a diglett. Probably isn't but it's probably a Kanto Pokemon that has an Alola form.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Okay, first things first. I'm still skeptical of this series' structure and the artdirection chosen for Ash's face (I literally have no qualms with all other designs except Ash's face..). I don't know how I feel about the school setting just yet. But.

The first episode was nice, while I was expecting to be completely frustrated with it based on previews and summaries. I'll just bulletpoint through it for a bit:

All those little hints to Ash's pokémon were pretty cool:
- Ash mentioning his Tauros.
- Ash dropping off five pokémon at Oak's before transit = acknowledgment of his pre-XY critters since he went home with just three and Pikachu.
- A Primeape being cool like that.
- A Boldore cruising in the school.
- The Ride Charizard just thought it was an okay time to take a NAP during that heated battle..

The plot:
- DAT EGG CAME TOTALLY OUT OF LEFT FIELD! Really, I got GS-ball feels. I wanna know what it is! Maybe a OG-Vulpix, since Lillie had a pure white Egg, which may be A-Vulpix ready to hatch?
- The battle with Team Skull.. Why give them NINE Pokémon if they could've done this with three? No? They just have to slay more Salandit for no reason? Ash is never getting one now.. T.T
- I liked how Tapu Koko kept testing Ash, though it was a bit random in my eyes: "Lets see what this kid does when faced with a Bewear, he runs away.. Oh.. Still worthy!"
- I liked the pacing of the introduction of the group. Lana cameo in the beginning, then transition to the general area introduction and why Ash is there (loved the little fastforward/rewind-bit), then cameo of Kiawe on Charizard, and then he runs into the school, introduce the group briefly, get a little bit of character exposé on Lillie, then Mallow takes the lead (literally), which then leads back to the plot that was set-up with the egg and Salomon Oak and Delilah. Then we get Kukui's introduction And then we get Kiawe and the exposition of Team Skull and Z-moves. Sure, Sophocles is getting the short end here, but this was a lot cramped into roughly fifteen minutes.

Which is why I'm still critical of the series structure with the school. This was the first episode and a lot had to be established: Motive, Region, Characters, Plot Set-up since it's different then Ash just going to a region and get badges. Now that those things have been established, I wonder how the rest of this structure will function in terms of density per episode.

The style:
- Okay, I'm liking the artstyle on everything except Ash. The way they chose to let Ash wander onto the racetrack, with the Tauros incoming on his blind side, was awesome. It's just a shame that I really am still not feeling Ash's design who for the most part is front and center in this episode.
- There was one moment where I liked Ash's current design: The moment he ran out of the courtyard when Team Skull showed up and talks back to Team Skull. I don't know what it was, but there was some more starkness to the art in that particular shot.

The flashback scene with Ash & his Mom rushing to leave for Alola, even depositing his Pokemon's with Prof. Oak in a rush, was funny. Also Prof. Oak handed them an Egg for delivery in Alola.

I'm guessing the Egg might be an OG-Vulpix. Lillie was seen holding a pure-white Egg in the opening, so the reason may be to compare the two Eggs and the Vulpix that spawn from them. But I got major GS-ball feels.. which is a nice thing to have.

I was slain.

RIP Phanpy SM Best series.

I wouldn't say that just yet. This episode was packed because it needs to introduce quite a lot. I want to know if it is still this packed once we hit episode SM5, I actually kind of doubt it.

This was EPIC! So refreshing, funny, and Alola in the anime simply looks gorgeous and fun. I loved every moment of this, can't wait for subs to understand what they said but other than that 10/10 episodes. I really got a feel of wonder while watching this.

Refreshing? Yes, surely I'd agree to that, even in a positive sense. "EPIC!", not entirely sure about that. There were things that I liked, but it wasn't as epic as Ash saving Pikachu from a fall from the Lumios Tower.

"Stupid childish Artstyle" + Picture of growling Charizard and Kiawe.

I honestly have no problems with the artstyle in general, it's just the redesign of Ash that's troubling.

I don't recall if they've ever introduced so many new pokemon at the start of a generation in a single episode before, really added to the excited feel!

Were there that many? Pyukumuku, Popplio, Bruxish, Litten, Grubbin, Tapu Koko, Bewear, Bounsweet, Togedemaru, Turtonator, Salandit and Yungoos, from the top of my head. Did I miss any?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ash's appearance was totally goofy and naive, his attitude was derpy and idiotic like OS Ash. He was taken aback by a Bruxish, run over by Mallow's Tauros chariot, stinged by a Grubbin, ran away from a Bewear being terrified. The only plus points of this episode were Ash's battling with the Team Skull grunts(Pikachu taking down three Salandits easily) and Ash getting the Z-ring from Tapu Koko. The art style was way poorer than XY and to be fair, the animation was too(XY animation was much brighter and dazzling in my opinion). The Z-move animation was good, but not quite good like a Mega Evolution or Ash-Greninja transformation.

Last edited:

Peepsqueak

I am really enjoying the sun and moon anime so far. I was one of the people who was really nervous about all of the changes but the anime has started off on a very strong note. Pikachu is absolutely adorable in this new style and I feel that the animation has improved a lot. I'm so excited to see the rest of this season. This is a nice change of pace and just feels so refreshing.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Were there that many? Pyukumuku, Popplio, Bruxish, Litten, Grubbin, Tapu Koko, Bewear, Bounsweet, Togedemaru, Turtonator, Salandit and Yungoos, from the top of my head. Did I miss any?
Also Alolan Exeggutor (right near the start when we see the Litten). It just felt like a lot compared to most premieres, though I don't have numbers to back that up.

Ash's appearance was totally goofy and naive, his attitude was derpy and idiotic like OS Ash. He was taken aback by a Bruxish, run over by Mallow's Tauros chariot, stringed by a Grubbin, ran away from a Bewear being terrified.
Can you really count the last one as a negative? Have you forgotten that Ash has ALWAYS ran from threatening bear pokemon including in XY? He usually only battles them if he has to.

I for one thought they established pretty well how frightening Bewear can be, what with the unsettling difference between its creepily sweet voice and brutal behavior.

Also, he's gotten surprised by pokemon, run over by them, etc. throughout the series. Perhaps this just felt like a bit much because it was all in one episode.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
My only criticism of the episode would be they played the SM vs Trainer music vs Team Skull. Don't get me wrong I love that OST, but I feel like they should have played Team Skulls theme. Maybe later down the line.

DatsRight

My only criticism of the episode would be they played the SM vs Trainer music vs Team Skull. Don't get me wrong I love that OST, but I feel like they should have played Team Skulls theme. Maybe later down the line.

I suppose it was passable since it was in fact the first battle of the whole series. I think I already saw a 'Dodge!' rear it's ugly head in it though (though at least Miawe's evasion/blocking was more creative).

Also poor Delia, barely got to spend any time with her son due to his constant running off and now he's departed again.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
That. Was. AWESOME! :D An excellent start to what is looking to be an entertaining series. The animation is absolutely gorgeous; some of those scenes gave me serious Studio Ghibli vibes. AND WE GOT CONTINUITY, FOLKS!

The episode was a bit fast-paced, but that didn't really bother me. I like that it started off with Ash already deep into enjoying his vacation with the Sharpedo ride. LOL at Pyukumuku giving Ash the peace sign with its innards (and Ash returning it)! It was interesting that Lana was the first of his future classmates whom Ash met. I assumed it would Lillie or Mallow.

Ash's childish enthusiasm was in full force here, and it was great to watch! I got a kick out of his reaction to Bewear splitting that tree in half. Bewear might have just wanted to give the boy a hug, but Ash probably thought he pissed it off because he called it cute. I don't blame him for hightailing it out of there. I laughed at the fact that he was so distracted by Bounsweet, Togedemaru, and Popplio, and so confused by Lillie's shouting at him to watch out, that he didn't notice he had wandered onto a racetrack. (LOL at the camera focusing on Lillie first and then on the Pokémon.)

Tapu Koko be trolling. It spies on Ash in the forest, purposely sets off Bewear, spies on him when he's visiting the school... That creature is shoring up to be one of my favorite Alola Pokémon, and I hope it shows up more often.

So far, I'm really enjoying the characters. It's cute that Lillie denied her fear of Pokémon and tried to explain away her inability to touch them. I love that Mallow immediately jumped to conclusions and assumed Ash was a new student; I get the feeling she is the type who acts before thinking (Ash, you have found a comrade in arms.)

Team Skull looks like they will be as hilarious in the anime as they were in the demo. Ash's battle against them has pretty much proved that neither his nor Pikachu's battle skills have been reset. Even Kukui seemed a little impressed. But Kiawe, that Z-Move was overkill.

SkittleBox

Fanfiction writer
Nice first episode! Quite funny yet tense at times... can't wait for more next week!