• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola to New Adventure! (944)

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, the dub wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. As far as I could tell, most of the original musical score was kept (although I don't know if the dubbers did that because it's the series premiere or if they actually intend to use the original background music this time).

Lillie does sound a lot like Serena, and Sophocles actually sounds a lot like Ash - specifically, he sounds like Veronica Taylor's Ash. Not so sure about that choice of voice casting. Alolan Exeggutor sounds like it's drunk, LOL.

They changed some of the Pikachu's voice clips. What was the point of doing that? It's not Pikachu's voice has to be dubbed, so why in the name of Tapu Koko would the dubbers change his voice clips?

AlolaMochaCiel

Well, the dub wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. As far as I could tell, most of the original musical score was kept (although I don't know if the dubbers did that because it's the series premiere or if they actually intend to use the original background music this time).

Lillie does sound a lot like Serena, and Sophocles actually sounds a lot like Ash - specifically, he sounds like Veronica Taylor's Ash. Not so sure about that choice of voice casting. Alolan Exeggutor sounds like it's drunk, LOL.

They changed some of the Pikachu's voice clips. What was the point of doing that? It's not Pikachu's voice has to be dubbed, so why in the name of Tapu Koko would the dubbers change his voice clips?

They did it in OS at times too

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
For some reason I can never seem to like the girls' English voices. They all sound so similar and I wished that everyone showed some emotion in their vioce. At least Prof Kukui and Principal Samson tries. But the English dub sound tolerable. Rockruff's voice is fine, I don't know what to think of Alolan Exeggutor. Sounds like syncronized fratboys lol!

Mallow's voice sounds generic. Lillie sounds exactly like Serena so generic. I don't like Lana's voice since I mainly dislike Bonnie's voice but I do like it that she kept it lower. I guess she couldn't make her voice louder or she'll sound like Bonnie when she was running with Popplio in the race. Kiawe sounds alright I guess and Sophocles sounds ok, better than Kiawe's voice. He sounds kinda like Ash Ketchum before the TPCi took over. Maybe it's the rasp in his voice.

Why did they change Pikachu's voice clips? Same with Tapu Koko even the voice is pretty similar, it wasn't needed. Some of them aren't even necessary like they even changed the voice clip of Pikachu having a towel on his head and the Z Move sequence. It looks weird not having the Inazuma Eleven like words splattered on the screen (and I never watched that show lol!) Ash fits but his voice & dialouge is still as dull and emotionless as mostly everyone else in the dub. The terrible pronunciation is ear grating...

6/10, better than the XY&Z & BW dub by far until Old Man James, Wannabe Gangsta from the Bronx Meowth, and Squealing Jessie appears. Glad they kept the music in and barely any editing (I only watched parts of the second episode though). Same old dubbers, same old problems.

Last edited:

Supersonicbro

Was it just me or did the pokemon sound more natural in the dub version? They sound more like they're not just saying their names anymore and adding things like growls and other animal noises in there.

For example, litten barely said it's name because it was purring and meowing; same with popplio. I hope they keep up this change.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
They did it in OS at times too

The difference is that in OS, they dubbed Pikachu's voice because they had to. I guess they were unable to separate audio clips, so in scenes where Pikachu spoke at the same time other characters were speaking, they had to re-record his voice. The dubbers no longer have that excuse. It's not like Pikachu's voice was dubbed; they just switched which sound clips they used. I only noticed it because there were two instances where Pikachu's "dialogue" did not match the movements of his mouth in the dub, whereas in the original Japanese version it did.

There was absolutely no reason to change Pikachu's voice clips. There was also little reason to dub Tapu Koko's voice; although it says its name in the Japanese version, its voice is animalistic enough that dubbing it was unnecessary. They even dubbed Popplio's and Rockruff's voices, and all they do is bark!

Mallow's voice sounds generic. Lillie sounds exactly like Serena so generic. I don't like Lana's voice since I mainly dislike Bonnie's voice but I do like it that she kept it lower. I guess she couldn't make her voice louder or she'll sound like Bonnie when she was running with Popplio in the race. Kiawe sounds alright I guess and Sophocles sounds ok, better than Kiawe's voice. He sounds kinda like Ash Ketchum before the TPCi took over. Maybe it's the rasp in his voice.

It's not just the rasp in his voice; it's also the pitch of his voice. He sounds too much like Veronica Taylor's Ash. There was actually one scene where I thought Ash was speaking, before I realized Sophocles was the one speaking. That could be rather confusing for the audience. It almost makes me wonder if the voice director didn't get the memo that Sophocles is one of the main characters and therefore should sound completely different from the protagonist.

DatsRight

It's not just the rasp in his voice; it's also the pitch of his voice. He sounds too much like Veronica Taylor's Ash. There was actually one scene where I thought Ash was speaking, before I realized Sophocles was the one speaking. That could be rather confusing for the audience. It almost makes me wonder if the voice director didn't get the memo that Sophocles is one of the main characters and therefore should sound completely different from the protagonist.

In fairness, a recurring complaint is that Nanochenny can't replicate Taylor's Ash so technically they sound different. :p

How ironic they get an accurate Ash voice now.

The intact music leaves me hopeful (though keep in mind the dub of the XY pilot also had a lot of the original music), the Pikachu voice clips are a strange edit, unless they thought they fit the scene and emotional level more. Wonder if it'll ever get to a point they bring in Rachael Lillis to dub over him again. XD

Last edited:

satopi

The difference is that in OS, they dubbed Pikachu's voice because they had to. I guess they were unable to separate audio clips, so in scenes where Pikachu spoke at the same time other characters were speaking, they had to re-record his voice. The dubbers no longer have that excuse.
Actually, they lost those voice clips so Misty's voice actress had to say a few of Pikachu's lines on the one or two episodes in the OS.

There was absolutely no reason to change Pikachu's voice clips. There was also little reason to dub Tapu Koko's voice; although it says its name in the Japanese version, its voice is animalistic enough that dubbing it was unnecessary. They even dubbed Popplio's and Rockruff's voices, and all they do is bark!
I guess Togedemaru missed the cut because they say his name. :p

Of course she can't I mean she could try (smoking cigarettes helps with getting your voice raspy) but it's the voice director's fault. Makes you think they should've switched Ash's voice and Sophocles' voice lol. I also hate it on how practically everyone has the same sort of basic dialogue and tone like they can't be that different in terms of speech. I hate Ash's filler words he uses at the end of his sentences just to fit the mouth sync like "kay buddy, y'know, awesome, etc". For some reason, it drives me crazy because Ash says that all the time just to fit the mouth sync~!

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Actually, they lost those voice clips so Misty's voice actress had to say a few of Pikachu's lines on the one or two episodes in the OS.

I knew there was a reason why they couldn't use Pikachu's original voice; I just couldn't remember what the reason was.

satoharupika said:
I also hate it on how practically everyone has the same sort of basic dialogue and tone like they can't be that different in terms of speech. I hate Ash's filler words he uses at the end of his sentences just to fit the mouth sync like "kay buddy, y'know, awesome, etc". For some reason, it drives me crazy because Ash says that all the time just to fit the mouth sync~!

It's a shame everyone has the same sort of basic dialogue and tone, because the characters' speech patterns are so varied in Japanese. For instance, I find it rather interesting that Lillie is so formal; she even uses watakushi, which is one of the most formal first person pronouns. It would have been nice if the dubbers had found a way to get that across in the dub.

DatsRight

I also hate it on how practically everyone has the same sort of basic dialogue and tone like they can't be that different in terms of speech. I hate Ash's filler words he uses at the end of his sentences just to fit the mouth sync like "kay buddy, y'know, awesome, etc". For some reason, it drives me crazy because Ash says that all the time just to fit the mouth sync~!

After finally seeing the dub, I have to agree. The script is about the same level as the XY one; as in an accurate enough translation, but rather corny and blandly laid out. I'd rather they just ignored the sync a little for the sake of better dialogue, it's not like it'll ever fit perfectly anyway.

It is a shame because it does feel like the actors are trying harder this time round. Natochenny actually shoves in lots of funny little bits of emotion she didn't in XY, her screams and grunts and especially that cheeky giggle when Ash thrashes Team Skull, they're almost on the same level as Matsumoto. Yet the rest of the time she's stuck with really stiff 'totally radical' dialogue to work with. Let's just hope Ash's Team Rocket banter isn't as generic as in XY.

I did indeed notice most if not all the music intact this time round. One thing I noticed even more though, so are the moments NO MUSIC IS USED. They didn't shove in tons of little jingles whenever the original soundtrack ended or bits of atmospheric silence were called for. The only time I remember this occurring was during some of DP, even 4Kids weren't fond of music less scenes. Really really REALLY hope they keep up this level of authenticity for the rest of the series to make up for the bastardisation of XY (and the previous series to a lesser degree).

No proper intro shown, just the logo with the XY title card jingle, guess we'll have to wait on that one. The credits are the same generic black screen as the other TPCI seasons (though oddly I think they used a random Japanese BGM track rather than either the Japanese or a homemade outro).

Overall I'd put this on a higher level than XY and maybe even the previous TPCI seasons, but it's still more cringeworthy to listen to than the Japanese edit with subtitles.

Now we just have to hear how Team Rocket turned out this time...

Last edited:

satopi

Now we just have to hear how Team Rocket turned out this time...
Like I said, Old Man James, Wannabe Gangsta from the Bronx Meowth, and Squealing Jessie. Lets hope they don't mistake incorporating their theme as rhyming. :p

DatsRight

Like I said, Old Man James, Wannabe Gangsta from the Bronx Meowth, and Squealing Jessie. Lets hope they don't mistake incorporating their theme as rhyming. :p

I truthfully don't mind their actors too much, they're at least partway enthusiastic. It's just what dialogue will seep out of their mouths. I get Team Rocket have to ham it up, but I hope they don't just shove in loads of crappy rhyming and alliterations again. Some of the Japanese snark is much funnier.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I kind of have mixed feelings on the VAs for Lillie and the others. While I like how they actually sound like kids, I can hardly differentiate between them at times since they all sound so similar, not to mention that it times it doesn't even sound like they're even trying. Plus, the on VA I have the most problem with is Kiawe's. He has some of the best emotions but he just sounds too whitewashed for his character

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
We have Miette's va in one side of the world, we have Serena's va on the other. Lillie can't catch a break.