• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola to New Adventure! (944)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It's so weird. Disney's extremely popular in Japan, maybe even more than anime itself. I'd have thought they would have had the money to pay TPC for the music...

It's disheartening to think about it.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's so weird. Disney's extremely popular in Japan, maybe even more than anime itself. I'd have thought they would have had the money to pay TPC for the music...

It's disheartening to think about it.

But Disney isn't responsible for the dub. TPCi is. If TPCi can't afford or doesn't want to spend the money to license the original Japanese music, and prefers to compose their own musical score, then I don't think Disney has any control over that. I think the only way Disney could gain any sort of control over the dub is if they were to license the rights to the anime themselves (which I'd be all for, to be honest. Disney's dubs aren't bad, as evidenced by their dubs of Studio Ghibli's movies).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Honestly I really liked the dub episode! I didn't like it in XY at all, but I love this dub so far. All except that Lillie sounds a bit more duncey than she should imo, still works. Ash's dub voice usually sounds weird, but it sounds good this time.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
But Disney isn't responsible for the dub. TPCi is. If TPCi can't afford or doesn't want to spend the money to license the original Japanese music, and prefers to compose their own musical score, then I don't think Disney has any control over that. I think the only way Disney could gain any sort of control over the dub is if they were to license the rights to the anime themselves (which I'd be all for, to be honest. Disney's dubs aren't bad, as evidenced by their dubs of Studio Ghibli's movies).

I don't know, I was being hopeful after hearing the dub. I enjoy the raw version, but the dub is something I can have in the background on the basis I can understand the jokes when not looking at the screen.

Now I don't want too. Disney, take over TPCi already

doofinc

get rillaboomed
The dub theme song just feels like they didn't try. The visuals are poorly timed with the song. The song itself I'm very mixed on. The horns feel so empty while the vocals didn't have much energy in them. I really liked the chord progression but with the 30 second limit and its fast pace, the chord progression was wasted, also attributed to the sudden modularization from E+ to G Flat+ which also was not executed well. Also that transition back to E+ at the end was pretty bad as well. Stand Tall was much better than this; I personally liked Stand Tall since it felt like an arena-opening song for an arena match which just had a poor opinion on it due to the superior XY&Z being the alternative option.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I love that they kept scenes of the ending in the ending part. This is the first time it happened in the English dub (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think they ever used any ending scenes before.
I think her Japanese VA is Miette, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they did the same thing in the dub.
No, it's Lana. Lana has the same voice actress as Miette. I think in the dub, Lana has the same voice actress as Bonnie.

So I just had a chance to watch the dubbed music in the episode...

Oh my, it feels like they sucked the life out of the anime.
To be honest, it took me 3 replays to enjoy the opening music. I feel like it does fit into what the setting is but it's not something that you expected for the opening song. It doesn't give off the tone that it's an adventure show or if anything important is going to happen. The editing does need some fine tuning (and I can't stand the end bit with the forced POKEMON!) I like the song in general and the singer as well, it sounds pleasant to listen to, it feels relaxing but I don't think it particularly works as an opening song. The instrumental version used in the ending though fits very well.

As far as the background tacks not being utilized, that is very unfortunate. That's one of the reasons why I can't stand hearing the dub due to how terrible the TPCi composed background music is. They really make the stunning animation in XY&Z less appealing and addictive when the background music doesn't fit into the emotion of the scene. A lot of the time, it feels awkward and as some people described, elevator music. At least it won't be as horrific as BW's dub.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I love that they kept scenes of the ending in the ending part. This is the first time it happened in the English dub (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think they ever used any ending scenes before.

The 4Kids era did use scenes from the OPs in the end credits, but this is the first season of the TPCi era to not be a black screen on the end credits.

No, it's Lana. Lana has the same voice actress as Miette. I think in the dub, Lana has the same voice actress as Bonnie.

Sophocles is the one who shares Bonnie's VA (Alyson Rosenfeld). Lana is voiced by Rosie Reyes, who seems to be new to the dub's VA cast.

But yeah, a sum-up of the major voice cast:
Ash: Sarah Natochenny
Lillie: Laurie Hymes
Mallow: Jessica Paquet
Lana: Rosie Reyes
Sophocles: Alyson Rosenfeld
Kiawe: Marc Swint
Jessie/Bewear: Michele Knotz
James/Meowth: Carter Cathcart (aka Jimmy Zoppi)

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It's not the opening song (it's a guilty pleasure of mine now), it's more the score changing and how it just...feels flat.

Janovy

Banned
It's not the opening song (it's a guilty pleasure of mine now), it's more the score changing and how it just...feels flat.
I agree. In the original opening, Rica's voice starts off softly and then gets stronger. In the dub opening, the voice remains....flat, giving it a very monotone impression.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I agree. In the original opening, Rica's voice starts off softly and then gets stronger. In the dub opening, the voice remains....flat, giving it a very monotone impression.

I was talking more about the background tracks, but I completely agree.

There's probably so much emphasis on POKEMON to shock you into actually watching the show.

DatsRight

The 4Kids era did use scenes from the OPs in the end credits, but this is the first season of the TPCi era to not be a black screen on the end credits.

Actually not even 4Kids did, they just reused the opening footage in 'split screen' with the black credits screen (the only time I remember them using credits footage was a very brief bit of the first one in the Pokerap video).

Seriously I get the whole music replacement method for money ethics but do they have to replace PRACTICALLY ALL OF IT? 4kids at least kept most of the games music (the stuff even localised kids would no doubt WANT to hear) and stuffed in there own jingles otherwise, meaning usually at least half the cartoon's music was kept, but still enough to get a profit from. It seems the least excusable period to be doing it anyway, since Pokemon is making a comeback now and making tons of profit again and fans will want the full nostalgia trip, not to mention there's still a smidgeon of music leftover so it's obvious they still bothered to buy the rights to use it, why waste money to make money?

Sigh, I guess this means the 20th anniversary film will be getting butchered too.

Last edited:

satopi

I know that but I'm talking about endings. 4Kids and TPCi to a lesser extent used scenes from the original openings into the dub with a mesh of regular scenes to fit the song inserted.

Sophocles is the one who shares Bonnie's VA (Alyson Rosenfeld). Lana is voiced by Rosie Reyes, who seems to be new to the dub's VA cast.
Thanks for the correction.

Lillie: Laurie Hymes
Lillie has the same voice actress as Serena, no wonder they sound so identical.

Best part was Pikachu singing along with Ash and also as a background singer! :D I didn't notice Rica's voice getting stronger as the song got more intense. Her and Ikue's voices sounded very excited and fill of energy. It just emphasizes Pikachu's main character status and the bond they share together.

Actually not even 4Kids did, they just reused the opening footage in 'split screen' with the black credits screen (the only time I remember them using credits footage was a very brief bit of the first one in the Pokerap video).

Seriously I get the whole music replacement method for money ethics but do they have to replace PRACTICALLY ALL OF IT? 4kids at least kept most of the games music (the stuff even localised kids would no doubt WANT to hear) and stuffed in there own jingles otherwise, meaning usually at least half the cartoon's music was kept, but still enough to get a profit from. It seems the least excusable period to be doing it anyway, since Pokemon is making a comeback now and making tons of profit again and fans will want the full nostalgia trip, not to mention there's still a smidgeon of music leftover so it's obvious they still bothered to buy the rights to use it, why waste money to make money?

Sigh, I guess this means the 20th anniversary film will be getting butchered too.
4Kids musi is a lot better than TPCi's elevator music. Even when they orchestrated their own piece of music, it flowed well in the scene.

Thank goodness I'm not watching the dubbed version of the movie but I seriously hope it isn't butchered. Would love if Veronia Taylor ever made a one shot comeback for the movie but we all know that's not going to happen.

DatsRight

Its annoying because the preview version of the pilot kept ALL the music as is. I don't buy the idea they'd just release it unfinished. It almost feels like they intentionally trolled the audience with a good dub so they'd get good ratings when the full series started up.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

satopi

Sorry for the mistake. ^^
Its annoying because the preview version of the pilot kept ALL the music as is. I don't buy the idea they'd just release it unfinished. It almost feels like they intentionally trolled the audience with a good dub so they'd get good ratings when the full series started up.
I don't think most people would really notie the subtle changes besides us. But yes, that was a bad move. It kind of gives off the impression that they could use the original OSTs if they wanted but chose not to.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Sorry for the mistake. ^^

I don't think most people would really notie the subtle changes besides us. But yes, that was a bad move. It kind of gives off the impression that they could use the original OSTs if they wanted but chose not to.

I don't really mind it too much of they use dub music tbh ^^

Maybe Laurie will develop her Lillie voice more and make it a little different from Serena's voice. I remember Serena sounding like Iris in the first few episodes of XY.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Serena is voiced by Haven Paschall, but I guess you think Laurie's Lillie voice has a Haven-like accent to it.
Oh, there's no doubt they sound similar. I also thought they had the same voice actress until I looked it up

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I don't really mind it too much of they use dub music tbh ^^

Maybe Laurie will develop her Lillie voice more and make it a little different from Serena's voice. I remember Serena sounding like Iris in the first few episodes of XY.

Hopefully.

OR

We could have a Amy 'Korrina' Rose VA...hopefully the former.