• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alola to New Adventure! (944)

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Is it me or I don't like how deep Kiawe's voice is? I know Marc Swint is well-known with fans of those "abridged" videos but his extremely deep voice sounds pretty unsuitable on a character in the school with Ash who's supposed to be around Ash's age.

And I remember how divided everyone was about Sawyer's dub voice...

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Is it me or I don't like how deep Kiawe's voice is?

I think Kiawe's voice is fine. Sawyer's voice wasn't awful but it didn't really fit him, plus in Japan he was voiced by Ikue Ohtani so it was like Ash had Pikachu as a rival there.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Is it me or I don't like how deep Kiawe's voice is? I know Marc Swint is well-known with fans of those "abridged" videos but his extremely deep voice sounds pretty unsuitable on a character in the school with Ash who's supposed to be around Ash's age.

He's suppose to be the stoic character, so I'm fine with it.

deafcat

Zaptoit has Ailola to New Adventure! Airing on Teletoon on March 18th at 12pm.

Possibly the Canadian Sun and Moon Season premiere date? This isn't the preview as they did that on New Year's Eve.

My tv guide only goes up to the 14th so I can't confirm it.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Zaptoit has Ailola to New Adventure! Airing on Teletoon on March 18th at 12pm.

Possibly the Canadian Sun and Moon Season premiere date? This isn't the preview as they did that on New Year's Eve.

My tv guide only goes up to the 14th so I can't confirm it.

Looks likely. They have movies replacing XY reruns timeslot starting on the 13th so it looks like they're doing some sort of promotion before it's official premiere.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Finally after all these months, The Sun & Moon series is coming to XD on May 13.
Still don't understand why it took so long

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Finally after all these months, The Sun & Moon series is coming to XD on May 13.
Still don't understand why it took so long

It's because they were waiting to have 10 episodes to air in one week before lining up with Canada.

Anyway, I just watched the Disney XD episode of this for the first time. There are two changes to The Who's That Pokémon? screen from Generation VI, one a TPCi change and the other a Disney XD change.

TPCi: the Pokémon logo says Sun and Moon. It did not say XY or XY&Z during Gen VI. During Gen V, there were 4 different logos on the WTP screen:
Black and White
BW Rival Destinies
BW Adventures in Unova
BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond
Glad to see they've gone back to including the name of the season on the WTP screen.

Disney XD change: the commercial break is where it's supposed to be between the question and answer. When they air XY episodes, they answer it right away

Loving Mallow and Lillie so far. Already like them both more that Serena and Iris put together!

Do you mean
Mallow > Serena + Iris AND
Lillie > Serena + Iris

or do you just mean

Mallow + Lillie > Serena + Iris?

Sorry for the mistake. ^^

I don't think most people would really notie the subtle changes besides us. But yes, that was a bad move. It kind of gives off the impression that they could use the original OSTs if they wanted but chose not to.

Maybe they don't have to pay to use it in the special preview because it's a "rushed" dub and not the official dub? What happened in XY?

Nyter

Island Challenger
Mallow is totally into ash.

You caught that right?

This episode introduced Alola the right way if you ask me. Loved the intro of some Pokemon and Tapu Koko especially. Great way to pull in Ash to the Alola region.

Time to catch up..I watched the last season, but not the new season yet.

COMMENTS:
- The new animation is ugly, I'm not a big fan. Ash's face is so weird. ._.
- I like the intro song, it's good.
- So after many leagues Ash is going to school. Why? He was in finals in Kalos!
- Wow Team Skull is early, I like that.
- Lillie is cute, I really like that she is afraid of Pokemon.
- Z-moves look nice so far.

Not a bad start, but not impressed. Let's see how this goes...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
- Wow Team Skull is early, I like that. .

They broke the record! The previous earliest Team appearance was Team Rocket in Kanto and Team Magma in Hoenn. (episode 2)

Certainly this is a welcome and pleasant surprise after the first Team appearances in the last 3 regions were:
Team Galactic first appeared in episode 36
Team Plasma first appeared in episode 112
Team Flare first appeared in episode 94

Leonhart

Imagineer
I loved how Barrierd had won the vacation trip to Alola, and seeing Hanako travel with Satoshi was a nice change since she usually stays home. To this day I'm not at all pleased by Satoshi's decision to enroll in the school, but I loved the introduction of Kukui-hakase, Kaki, and the Skull-dan.

GiddyupGal

smarter than i usually act
i can't remember the last time i was so excited for pokemon. kalos was great and had some really good moments like ash greninja v diantha and the whole thing with team flare but the alola region was all vibrant colors and good times and this episode drew me in straightaway. i loved that they played the exact same scene in reverse to show them backtracking and the introduction to all the classmates was done really well

Leonhart

Imagineer
GiddyupGal said:
but the alola region was all vibrant colors and good times and this episode drew me in straightaway.

Despite my initial misgivings about the SM saga when I saw this episode, I did enjoy the vivid animation style that was used here, which truly made Alola look like the islands it is based on. I liked the authenticity.

Nyter

Island Challenger
After The Pokemon series was moved to Disney XD, which is not included in my Cable TV package, the series lost my viewership, but after seeing it on Netflix, which I do have, I am now beginning to watch it. I am off on Vacation this whole month so I have enough time to binge it all before I go back to work in May. So I will be giving my OPINIONS and ratings as an avid Pokemon fan from the 90s.

For this episode, It was a great smooth start. The fast forwarding explained the transition into this region without dragging it out, which was smart from a marketing point of view. A lot of series programs lose viewership because continuity is hard to follow and jumping into it makes it hard for viewers without knowing backstories introduced in earlier seasons.

Pokemon does a great job at rebooting its stories while still continuing the original storyline. This is good for new viewers (kids especially jumping into the Pokenon bandwagon) to get involved.

I personally LOVE the XY series seasons because it played to a more mature viewership, which I make a part of. The new animation style and childish personality traits given to the characters this season was a bit drastic for me but I am now used to it. Humor plays a huge part in this season which I think is great. I found myself chuckling through a few parts of the episode, which means the funny is thoughtful and not obnoxious.

Tapu Koko's importance introduced here was well done. As the guardian of Melemele island, his ambitions are well placed in Ash, keeping him in Alola. That's a great reason in itself for him to stay. The Pokemon school is the other main story.

Z-Moves are unveiled in epic form. Kiawe and Turtonator did THAT! And his hint a rivalry with Ash is newly done. He isn't going to be a "Paul" from the Diamond and Pearl series, or "Trip" from the Black and White series, which is nice. A friend and foe in one makes things interesting. Team Skull, not so much. The court jester evil organizational villains are best left to Team Rocket. The regional villains should be kept cunning and ruthless, someone to really worry about.

The new regional Pokemon were displayed accordingly, not giving too much away that it overwhelmed us, but enough to want us searching for more of them. I play both Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon so I am very aware of each Pokemon's functions as a species and how it can play in the anime. Bewear's was not too shabby, giving that sense of "gentle giant" to the anime a new take on a new character.

Character analyzation time:
Mallow: she, to me, makes as one of the most sure characters of all. She exudes confidence and makes herself more of the leader type role of the gang. Also very informational. I like her the third best of the gang.
Sophocles: I find him as the know-it-all of the gang, or at least he thinks he is. Clemont from the XY series did the inventor thing better if you ask me but I like some traits he brings to the table. He is a little thick in weight and I think it is a great nod to many fans, that pokemon trainers come in all shapes and sizes (am I overkilling the review here?). He is however my least favorite of the gang, but I still like him for the most part which means I like the whole gang.
Kiawe: The stoic serious driven trainer plays his part well. Clearly the strongest out of the five original student of Prof. Kukui's class in pokemon School, he gives Ash a run for his money, and his might showcased accordingly against Team Skull. He plays as my third to least best of the gang.
Lana: She is my second to least best of the gang. I did not get a good read on her. Popplio makes me peak some interest in her however.
Lillie: My most favorite goes to Lillie. I see so much character growth potential in here. Already with showing that she has the inability to touch Pokemon means a see some relationship activity at work coming up.
Prof. Kukui: Not in the gang for me. But I have to say, he does not really interest me as one of the professors. Oak still wins the best Professor of all because he DOES have the best personality, with poetry and all. I hope they build him up well as they did in the games using Prof. Burnet and The Masked Royal.
Ash: Last but not least, my second fave character of the gang. He is definitely rebooted from the XY series but I do not mind that. He is able to admit he needs to learn and humbles himself to Pokemon School. It is a bold mature move on his part.

I give this entire episode a 7.3/10

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
For some reason, I find that Kiawe reminds me of Brock and Paul mixed together with out being cruel to pokémon.
Brock: They look similar (visually, physically)
Paul: In this episode, he frowns upon Ash's battling style and thinks it's a joke

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
For some reason, I find that Kiawe reminds me of Brock and Paul mixed together with out being cruel to pokémon.

He reminded me of Takeshi because of his height and serious personality, although we'd eventually see a more comedic side of him as the SM saga progressed.

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"What a refreshing start to a new series"
Episode: 7/10

Also, the Official Spanish Pokémon YT channel uploaded this full episode with the Spain dub, in case someone know spanish or just want to hear how the voices are in another language:

EDIT: The episode was also uploaded to the English channel

Last edited: