Lost but Seeking
Alpha and Omega: A Hoenn One-Shot Contest
By now you've probably heard that the Pokémon franchise will be returning to Hoenn with the release of OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire this November, and what better way to celebrate the occasion than with a Hoenn-themed writing contest?
We're looking for entries that focus on any of the things that make Hoenn great: its places, its people, its legends, or anything else uniquely associated with Hoenn. Regardless of your chosen topic, though, your story should be set in Hoenn and feature pokémon from the Hoenn regional pokédex or their evolutions/alternate formes (for example, mega absol and gallade are fine). If you'd like to feature canon characters, make sure they're people associated with Hoenn in some way.
In addition to staying on theme, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- All the usual fanfic forum rules apply. There are no other restrictions on rating, genre, etc.
- Please do not post your work anywhere public until after the judging is complete. You may ask other people to read your work and give feedback in private if you'd like.
- Please limit your entry to 10,000 words or fewer.
When you're ready to submit, you may either PM your entry to Negrek or send it as an e-mail attachment. I'll send you PM or e-mail confirmation when I receive it and take care of distributing it to the other judges. Make sure to get your entry in before the contest deadline, which is 11:59 PM July 15th, 2014 (EST).
Once all the entries are in, they'll be ranked by our lovely panel of judges:
Note that, in the tradition of previous contests, we'll be posting the entries (or an exerpt from them, if they're long) along with the judges' feedback at the end of the contest. If you don't want your entry posted for any reason, just let me know when you submit.
Some tips to help you place as high as possible in the final ranking:
- Make sure to leave time to proofread your work after writing it. Problems with grammar, spelling, and so on will count against you in the judging, so make sure your piece is as polished as possible before sending it in.
- While you're not allowed to post your one-shot anywhere public before the results are announced, you can still send it to anyone in private to get their feedback--take advantage!
- The theme for this contest is "Hoenn," and adherence to theme will be a consideration in the judging. Stories that make the region central to their plot will do better than those that feel like they just happen to be taking place there. If you could transplant your characters and story to any other region and have everything still make sense, you're in trouble!
- When in doubt, try more trumpet.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, have fun, and I look forward to reading your entries!