• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alpha and Omega: A Hoenn One-Shot Contest

Dragonfree

Just me
Congratulations to the winners and everyone else who entered! I agree this was an unusually high-quality batch of entries, so don't feel too bad if your placing wasn't the greatest - you had some tough competition. I hope our reviews were helpful and that we will see you enter again in later contests!

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Wow, I... did better than expected, admittedly. After I had sent this in, I kept going "What was I thinking? That was so stupid!" And I still hold it in the same regard XD But thank you SO sosososo much to all of the judges for hosintg this; in spite of what I said earlier, it was fun! And I know I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate everything you guys have done for us.

While I do want to know what/if Phoenixsong has written, I am grateful to you for putting the reviews up and I don't blame her in the least for not having them ready.

Some things I will address:

bobandbill said:
This was a good expansion and portrayal of his character, and his relationship with his Mightyena was very sweet. I really liked the scene where he was playing with him; it certainly felt real, and this was my favourite part. I remember playing with my own dog in such a manner after all, so this certainly felt accurate!
Thanks ^_^ That bit was based off of how I play around with my dog, so I'm happy that it turned out realistic and relatable. And I'm happy you enjoyed this as much as you did; I honestly didn't expect this to do that well, but I appreciate all of the feedback!

Dragonfree said:
This really feels like a random snippet of a longer story; I don't get any real sense of an overarching plot or main idea here.
Well, after going way overboard with the word limit and story on the last contest, I decided to tone this down.... and I guess I toned it down too much. I didn't want ti to be a full-fledged story like ti was the last time, though I do agree with you that it is disjointed and doesn't really flow or fit together.

Is this by any chance taking place in the Drowning continuity?
Yeah, it supposed to, just to show what Tabitha's life is typically like and how he is when dealing with members of his team.

I've only read the first chapter of that (though continuing has been vaguely on my list),
SQUEEEE that makes me so happy!

but overall I feel like this story would make considerably more sense as part of something bigger, and given the thematic similarities it seemed plausible if it were some sort of spin-off.
Hmm, well if I do ever post the entire thing to the site as its own thread, I'm going to be heavily editing it, though admittedly I didn't have "something bigger" in mind as I was just trying to keep this small-scale and low-key.

Negrek said:
The only reservation I have is that the humor feels a bit forced.
I totally agree. I tried to make it funny, and realized too late that it wasn't.... but at least I learned from here that I'm no comedian XD

I also noted everything else the rest of you mentioned--the typos and how to improve and edit my writing to get more of the angle that I was going for. I honestly feel better about this after reading your reviews, as I didn't think I had done this well lol.

Congratulations to the JX Valentine, Imaginative Clockwork and Mrs. Lovett! You guys definitely earned it. I read the snippets posted, and you guys had better post the whole things on here because I am HOOKED.

And congrats to everyone who participated, and good luck to everyone in the future!

Last edited:

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Aahh, third place! xP Writing TMT wasn't easy, so I was glad to see that I did a fair job of conveying my ideas. I was really looking forward to reading the judges' reviews, because I know all of you are very thorough and capable. Thanks for keeping us updated and getting the results up. And congrats to everyone who entered! Getting your thoughts together and finishing an entire story in a few weeks' time is quite an accomplishment, and no matter where you placed, the finished one-shot you now have is bound to help you in the future.

Now for some replies.

All of you addressed some of my concerns about the beginning of the one-shot, which I also felt was a bit dry, but it was something I felt like I had to work through when I was writing. I felt that Eddie's relationship with the Trick Master needed more fleshing out for it to be believable. I was actually worried that the Trick Master would come off as two-dimensional, but from what you've told me, it seems that's not the case :p At any rate, I'll definitely work on tightening things up a bit.

I’m also unsure if May really would have just forgotten about the Trick House like that in her last scene (‘I completely forgot this place was here!’). She had made a point of returning quite often to try and beat him, and was still impressed by the challenges (e.g. the city). So the fact she had not returned for seemingly some years didn’t sound right nor realistic to me. Mentioning that she had come very close to besting the Trick Master quite some way before the end may have spoiled some of the surprise that she... well, hadn’t done so. It may be worth considering removing that mention (it’s after the scene where May beats the challenge for the first time).
Fair enough. In hindsight, I think I should have written something along the lines of "Sorry, I had no way to fit you in with all these other things I was doing!" The idea was that May is constantly moving on to bigger and better things, while her Trick House challenge sits on the back-burner for so long that she finally forgets that she meant to complete it. It's sort of like how you can start playing a Pokemon game, get bored with it and put it down "for a little while", then end up getting distracted by real life for so long that you don't open the game again for months (or years!).

Lastly, the beginning was somewhat confusing (in part because I already could see how long the entry was). Elliot begins by penning a letter presumably to a newspaper, wanting a spot in an opinion column. But I remain sceptical on opinion columns allowing for twenty-one page long submissions, so this just seemed rather weird to me. I’d suggest thinking of another way to open the story instead, or leastways some other idea than an opinion column.

Similarly, I'm not sure that the framing works well with the story. If this were really something being written for the newspaper, intended to warn people about what had happened at the Trick Master's house, I would expect it to be much more to the point at the expense of context. I would expect a "full story" approach like this in a situation like a police interview or similar, where the goal is to get all the facts and to try to understand the bigger picture. If the goal is to warn people, then I would expect the warning to be the predominant part of the message.

Ultimately, it's a question of what you gain by using some kind of framing device rather than just telling the story straight out. If the story began at "Seven years ago" and ended with "I ran for my life," what would you really lose? I do like the ending line; I think it's a snappy, effective stinger that really drives the twist home. However, I also think you could have landed on it just as easily by adding a little on to the narrative rather than going back to the meta letter concept, something like "As for me, I ran for my life. It wasn't until later that I managed to make sense of what I saw: the Trick Master has created a new world." You could add any of the implications alluded to in the second-to-last paragraph just as easily. All things considered I don't think you do enough with the letter conceit to justify it.

I agree with the points you both make, but I do want there to be a frame story of some sort. I think it's necessary for the tone I'm going for. Though I agree now that Eddie writing a letter to a newspaper isn't the best idea for it. Negrek, I like your suggestion about Eddie writing a testimony to the police, and I actually think it would work better for the tone, so I think I'll play around with that. Maybe they caught Eddie disturbing the peace by starting arguments with random passersby :p

The ending was certainly interesting and somewhat unexpected that the Trick Master had managed to do that. His dramatic speech to Elliot seemed off – maybe it was some form of recording? – because I didn’t really see why he would yell at Elliot that ‘his victories were shallow and temporary’. It seemed a bit odd to me, and the Rayquaza popping out like that was rather surprising and maybe a bit too sudden an event, which did make the ending feel a bit rushed to me.
The Trick Master's speech in the end is indeed a recording, but it's more of a "physical" recording in that the same thing happens to everybody who steps through the hole in the wall -- the mist appears, the Trick Master speaks, they see the visions, then finally Rayquaza appears to swallow them and thereby pull them into the Trick Master's created world. Presumably, this is what happened to May.

But I think you end up overdoing it. You've successfully built up the story in such a way that I'm willing to buy that the Trick Master somehow constructed an entire alternate universe that's slowly sucking in the real one - which is quite something! But going full-on A GOD AM I? He'd been established to have an ego, sure, but his ego revolved around cleverness and puzzles; I can't see him wanting to rule over a universe as some sort of god, so that part just seems to come out of left field.
It's not that he's trying to make himself into an all-powerful creature -- the point was supposed to be that he was that all-powerful creature from the beginning. His occupation with simple, down-to-earth puzzles gave off the illusion that he was just a regular guy putting up painted murals, which he was happy to maintain so that kids would genuinely have fun with the challenges. But May was dead-set on besting him, and the more she tested his skills, the more serious his trick rooms became, until finally his friendly demeanor broke down and he appeared in his no-nonsense form. And that was what should have sent a chill down the reader's spine :p The creepypasta effect was intentional, but as a whole I wanted the story to be a funny, lighthearted creepypasta.

And then there's also Rayquaza and things blowing up, not for any obvious reason that I can see. As funny as that sounds when I've already accepted this dude having supernatural universe-creating powers, it's this stuff that makes me go, "What, really?" Compared to all the build-up about the Trick Master's determination and the incredible spaces he can create, these elements just seem pulled out of nowhere at the end. If I were you I'd tone down everything about the ending except the actual created-a-universe bit - the really audacious thing you've built up becomes a lot harder to swallow when accompanied by a bunch of other weird stuff that isn't built up the same way, even if the main event is clearly a lot more outrageous in itself.
The entire ghost-Trick Master and Rayquaza-swallowing-you-whole reel was just a device that the Trick Master created to physically bring the challenger into his new world. I didn't think those elements would have to be justified on their own as long as the reader understood that they were only there to introduce the challenger to what would come next. The actual things Eddie sees are important to convey a creepy mood, so I'd like to leave them, at least in essence. But I'll play around with them so that they'll at least seem like they logically belong there.

I'll also admit to being a leetle confused as to what exactly the Trick Master's "new world" is supposed to represent. At first I thought it was supposed to be a reference to the remakes, i.e. May had managed to complete all the challenges Hoenn had to offer, so the Trick Master had created a whole new world for her to conquer, namely ORAS. The only things to really suggest that, though, are the lines "I am the alpha and the omega" and Eddie's warning about people disappearing or being changed, i.e. remade, in their new lives. Most of the description of the world itself makes it sound more like some kind of purgatory, and the idea still works without any reference to ORAS: the Trick Master builds increasingly elaborate puzzles for May, until at last he manages to create an entirely new world/dimension. So, if you did want to imply that he'd built ORAS, I think you might want to be slightly more explicit about it.
The Trick Master's new world was indeed a reference to the new games, but I didn't want to make it more explicit beyond the "I am the alpha and the omega" line. I didn't want to address what could perhaps make these games different from the old Hoenn games (because, of course, when I first wrote this I had no idea), so instead I decided to focus on the broader topic of starting a new adventure after you thought you had already put all your adventures behind you. :p

A few grammatical topics:

bobandbill:

I pushed through it, and was ready to beam when I recognized the front room, but then I saw that there was no exit.
Maybe not a typo and more just ignorance on my part (I assumed this is the case), but I can’t say I know of the expression ‘was ready to beam’.
"To beam" means to smile radiantly. I've encountered this in a lot of books an fanfictions, though I can't name any specific examples off the top of my head.

To knit one's brows means to move the eyebrows closer together in a frown, like when one is thinking about something. I've seen this lots of times before, too. But it might be less common than I think it is...

My hands fumbled in my backpack and locked on the ear of PokéDoll
of ‘a’ PokéDoll, I feel.
Yep. xP

Negrek: I'll fix the sentences you pointed out too.

Once again, I'm thrilled that you all liked my one-shot, and I'm extremely grateful for your reviews and ratings. I'm probably going to spend another couple of weeks editing TMT before posting, but I'll try get it up before the new year.

Subzero Dragon

Resident Muse
Well, color me amused! 7th place, huh? Not too shabby for our first contest, I suppose. So many good entries though! I feel pretty humbled in the face of such writing... Congrats to everyone who entered! Loved what I saw!

I've posted our entry, Paradise, in its full, unedited form for those who wish to see what it is and what the judges are talking about. That little excerpt barely covers the opening scene. (Fair warning: there is character death, blood, swearing, and quite a bit of human experimentation. It's here at the forum if you're still interested.)

Now for my reactions to the reviews. Yes, I royally suck at commas at the end of speech dialogue. That is a massive Achilles' Heel that I desperately tried (and only somewhat succeeded with) fixing. I will correct these errors in an upcoming rewrite. Overall, I agree with the judges' views with a few exceptions that I'll address here.

First off, I MUST comment on this gem from Dragonfree, lest someone get the wrong idea...

I'm not sure exactly what to make of the weirdly sexual way Natalie talks about Rayquaza (its breath is "arousing", its eyes were "alluring", it has "rippling muscles", she's convinced it's male because of its "musk and dominance"). On the one hand it kind of fits with the way she's fetishized the entire idea of being Rayquaza's Chosen One and adds an extra layer of lunacy to it, and if that's what you were going for it works pretty well, but on the other hand I'm not positive it's actually intentional, and if it's not you should definitely look into that, because people having sexual feelings towards Pokémon tends to be considerably on the awkward side of things you can unintentionally imply in your Pokémon fanfiction.

I literally hit my face on my keyboard when I read this. I did not intend for Natalie to view Rayquaza as sexy or romantic! >_< That was a failed attempt at expressing her sheer admiration of the mighty Great Dragon. That was overkill, and I'm absoluterl mortified that it was interpreted in that way. Gah. Talk about awkward! That's the first change that will happen in the rewrite, mark my words!

All of the judges appeared to have issues with the ending being abrupt or convoluted, specifically the scene where Rayquaza goes berserk. Let me explain. Originally, this scene was going to take far longer to resolve. I was forced to truncate the majority of that scene. (Freakin' word-limit...) This scene will be extended and re-worked in the rewrite, I promise.

Negrek put it in a nutshell here.

I get that you wanted to have the main character come to her realization gradually during that section, and to build up the drama with Rio begging to be taken instead, etc. However, I think that you could have worked towards the same revelation without needing to have Rayquaza directly involved, with the main character realizing that everything's going to be destroyed unless she does something to stop it, Rio not wanting her to risk it, her ultimately dying, etc., with Rayquaza only coming to its senses afterward. Or you might be cool with Rayquaza being a huge dick here. That's fine, it's just that I don't think you were intending for it to come off that way.

Aaaand here's the flaw in my diamond. Ack. That's what I get for being rushed, haha... I like this suggestion. I think I might make these specific changes to the end. That'll help the story flow a bit better.

Overall, I am both enlightened by, and absolutely floored by the critiques. A lot of the issues brought up completely evaded me when we wrote this. (Especially that insanely embarrassing sexy-Rayquaza mistake...) Expect to see the rewrite in a few weeks. For now, it's ORAS time, woot! Maybe a playthrough will inspire me for how to better polish this story of ours...

In short, thank you, judges! Your input is greatly appreciated! And fellow readers/writers, happy writing!

Awesome! 2nd place is better than I ever expected, and I got some great critique on top of that! Congratulations to everyone, as well. Despite the pain we all felt trying to write and submit these on time, I’m glad we all got to celebrate the release of ORAS together!

As for my entry, some of these critiques are so painfully true that I can’t help but be a little embarrassed. But that’s good, since I think editing my story with this stuff in mind will go a long way toward improving it. That being said, I’m glad the overall impression was positive, and I can’t think you enough for taking the time to do this.

Now for some detailed replies.

Before I start, I noticed one thing you all mentioned is that ending is too ambiguous, which unfortunately was not my intent at all. While writing the final paragraph, what I wanted was to show them acknowledging that they should be nicer to Marcus (even making a sort of pact to do so). However, the paragraph was meant to slowly reveal that they just weren’t nice enough people to commit to something like that. A specific part that seemed to be confusing was this sentence:

It was ambitious, for sure, but in the end, she proved that both her and Cody were perfectly deserving of her little white consolation ribbon.

Negrek, you said that this seems to imply that they really did change for the better, and I could see why you think that. What I was trying to get across, though, was that they tried but didn’t succeed, hence the consolation ribbon as opposed to a blue ribbon or first-place ribbon. The consolation prize here represents effort instead of achievement, and I was trying to say that despite their good intentions, they ultimately didn’t end up following through. The ending is basically a sort of joke, where Robin and Cody get to reset all the bad will they've built up, but they don't want to put in the effort to take advantage of it. I can see how confusing this could be, though, so it’s definitely a top priority in my revision.

All right, now onto specific replies!

bobandbill said:
Maybe that was a bit too much of an acceptance of the Shuppet just leaving and things going back to normal which made the ending fell just a tad rushed.

I think you’re completely right here. The scenes of them exploring Slateport were really fun to write, so I think they ended up taking too much of my attention from the ending. (This also probably explains the sloppiness of that closing paragraph). I like your idea about incorporating more of Marcus’s feelings (or lack thereof) into it, so that’s probably where I’ll start when I look this thing over again.

I think it would have been easy enough to slip in some mention on how the people in the line reacted to them. Maybe even have them allow the group to walk in ahead of them, or a few decide they didn’t want to go into the Museum anymore?

I also feel that perhaps the Hoenn people would have still been at least a bit apprehensive of the group the following day – granted, they wouldn’t have had the Shuppet anymore, but given how they were reacting the previous day I feel some would still be at least wary. A small mention of that again should be easy enough, as I feel that no mention at all of that is perhaps a missed detail.

Oh, I didn’t even think about the museum! It seems weird that people didn’t react now that you bring it up.

And I think your second point here has actually given me some ideas for how I could work something like that in, so thanks!

I’ll definitely fix those grammar mistakes and take a look to see how I could improve those awkward sentences! I’m glad you liked it, though!

Dragonfree said:
Let them just start getting a creeping feeling that something weird is going on with their friend without knowing exactly what's going on, and build up what's happening to him with a sense of sinister intrigue until he snaps. Make it shocking when he turns out to want to murder them - it would make for a far more potent sense of horror than when you've been telling us he will for most of the fic.

I like this, but between this and your point about the story’s buildup, I’m kind of torn on whether or not I want to change the beginning of the end. What I wanted out of this story wasn’t so much to create suspense, but to focus on the fact that a potential murder was only a concern for Robin and Cody because of their terrible treatment of Marcus. So their suspense and tension was more of them getting (an extreme version of) what they had coming to them than something the readers are actually supposed to relate to. When Marcus actually becomes more chill about the whole thing is sort of the subversion you're looking for, but that wasn't really what I wanted out of the fic either, since I did intend that and the character's reactions to it as more of a joke than a satisfying twist. I guess for me, the more entertaining aspect of the fic was supposed to be watching two rude people face the heightened consequences of their actions, with the plot coming secondary.

However, the combination of putting that idea into words and reading your review makes me realize that it’s a very silly thing to say. I sort of used the plot as a vehicle for an idea, instead of making them both equally worthy of attention. Like I said, I’m conflicted about whether or not I want to adjust the beginning or the end (or even both), but I hope that what I do end up with addresses your points, including the embarrassing pronoun mistakes.

I’m happy you still liked the middle portions, though! Thanks for the great review!

Negrek said:
If that's how shuppet normally work, though, I'd kind of have expected people to figure it out by now... it's one thing if the cause and effect is ambiguous, but here the shuppet treatment leaves people feeling dramatically better and less resentful. I didn't get the sense that this particular shuppet was supposed to be out of the ordinary. As a result, people's extreme aversion to Marcus doesn't make a lot of sense. He's not actually dangerous (except maybe during that brief freak-out at the end--but that was brief) and just him being a resentful person in general doesn't seem like enough to make people *that* terrified of him. That doesn't really distract from the story as it's being read, but after finishing it was definitely on my mind.

The people aren’t exactly scared of the Shuppet’s effects (although your point here makes it sound like Shuppet therapy could be quite a trendy thing, which I like a lot), but the fact that Marcus apparently has enough negativity that a wild Pokémon would land in the middle of a crowded beach just to feed on it. They almost see him as a ticking time bomb of suppressed anger, and Shuppet’s lit the fuse (although time bombs don’t have fuses, I guess, since then they wouldn’t be time bombs). This could have been a lot clearer, though.

You do a nice job setting a comedic tone, with little details like Marcus swooping around giddily in the background while his friends discuss how he might be inclined to violence and rage, the people all cowering away from him at the fanclub while he obliviously tries to chat about pokémon, and Robin's paranoid interpretations of his vocabulary all contributing to the tongue-in-cheek tone of the piece. Making Robin and Cody out to be such comically awful people makes it easy to laugh at their plight rather than take it too seriously; all in all the situation kind of made me think of the sort of thing you'd see on Seinfeld.

You have a lovely ear for dialogue; that's definitely the highlight of the piece, I think. Your prose is solid, too, although you often have adverbs creeping in to clog things up. You have one about every other sentence towards the beginning of the story especially, and to me they often feel tacked on rather than contributing to the text. For example, "Everyone was watching quietly as she cocked an eyebrow" (as opposed to watching loudly?), or "The woman stood up, staring at him unwaveringly" (usually stares are unwavering by definition).

Thank you so much, especially for the Seinfeld thing haha. That’s one of my favorite shows, so no matter how offhand the comparison, I’ll cherish it.

But yeah, I tend to rely on adverbs a bit too much. I’ll for sure comb through this with an eye out for those when I revise.

Anyway, this story hinges on the relationship between Marcus and his friends, but unfortunately it didn't quite work for me. There are some indications that Robin and Cody aren't particularly nice to Marcus--or nice people in general, given the way they act otherwise--but it hardly seems severe enough that they could sincerely believe Marcus wanted them dead. Ignoring what he wanted to do in favor of hanging out on the beach is a bit jerkish, yeah, but we aren't given a lot to suggest that this goes beyond being a dickish to him now and again. Robin and Cody's constant concern for their own well-being without a single thought for their friend who's being fed on by a ghost does help establish that they're pretty awful people, but again, I didn't really get a sense that there's a lot of beef between Marcus and them specifically. I think it would help if you perhaps added one or two more references to past grievances earlier in the story so that it becomes clear that the two of them are actually bullying him and not simply occasional jerks. Something as simple as them getting him to pay for ice cream or something and ignoring his pleas that they pay him back this time seriously guys please could easily establish both that they're dicks and that this treatment is a chronic problem and Marcus probably does have a ton of resentment.

I’ll have to give some thought to this. I thought I included enough references to their past behavior to establish their characters (the paying for food without reimbursement idea is even something Marcus brings up at the end), but do you think more needs to happen within the story’s timeline, instead of things that happened beforehand? I think that’s a fair point, and I’ll try to include some of that before I post it.

Other than those bumps, I’m glad you enjoyed reading it! Your review is really helpful, and your suggestions are gonna be a big help when I go back and revise everything.

Again, thank you to all the judges! This thing must have been a ton of work, but I’m so glad you decided to do it! Also, a big congratulations to everyone! I hope all of us (and more!) will participate in the next contest!

Last edited:

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Congratulations to the participants -and of course to the winners, specially. Gonna take some time to read the excerpts and hopefully the full versions of some of the works. Just in case the trumpets, ya know.

Am glad to see that this contest turned out well for people; I was imagining that the hype train of these past few weeks was going to be far more troublesome than what... appears to have been?

I find my placement really amusing, since in the first fanfic contest I joined here - and funnily enough, it was the one for the Johto remakes - I also ended up in the middle of the rankings. But in any case, congratulations to my fellow entrants, wherever it is that you ended up placing. Scanning through the other reviews, there were a lot of expansions that I found really interesting, so I can't wait to read all of your entries and hear all the trumpets blaring in my ears.

And a big thank you to all of the four judges for holding such an amazing contest and getting the results up as quickly as possible. That isn't easy, and judging from the quality of the reviews I got, you all deserve a lot for all the effort you put in to this contest. :)

I'll put my replies to the judges' reviews in a spoiler tag since they're pretty long:

bobandbill:

Regarding the screenshots, did you take them yourself, or just use an LP? I’m thinking possibly the former, given how Brendan was standing next to every NPC he spoke to in the same way.

The former. I used a "PC version" of the game [since I don't think I can say what it actually is in this forum :p ], and saw that it had a nifty screenshot tool in it, so I used that. It's fun viewing all of the pictures in a slideshow since you'll notice how Brendan is in the exact same position in all of them. XD

The introduction to the stories I feel could use a little work. I’m not too sure how trying out the specialties of local restaurants really makes for a great topic of conversation (as much as I like food myself), and it did feel a bit repetitive towards the end of it that Brendan was indicating he was going to share some of the stories/conversations he heard with us.

In short, the introduction could perhaps use a little tweaking here and there, so the set up is smoother from it to the stories themselves.

Duly noted. I agree that the introduction could use some work, and with what I have planned for this, it really does call for a revision. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Overall the stories that were told were interesting, although some did fall a little bit flat to me – the second one for instance, or the two-lined conversation with the swimmer talking about how going with the flow won’t get you anywhere. To a lesser extent, the third story (the female veteran trainer) also felt a bit flat to me, as what she spoke about just felt a bit predictable. After her first sentence, I felt that I knew what she was going to continue to talk about, and nothing particularly remarkable or interesting popped up afterwards. So in a sense, I felt that the story did take a little while to get going.

The fourth story by contrast was much more interesting to me, and it was here where I was really beginning to enjoy the entry. Here, the trainer gave more of a sense of her thoughts and feelings in what she said, and that was the difference I felt. This particular conversation carried some more meaning, while the veteran’s thoughts on her worries with current methods of Pokémon training didn’t carry the same impact as it could have. She was basically just telling her worries, but I couldn’t really see them, if that makes sense.

This I think is what Negrek points out in her comment about how people who aren't familiar with HONY might react to the more mundane ones, seeing as I deliberately included the very short sections like the swimmer's, the picknicker's (in the desert), and the fisherman's to capitalize on the HONY effect. I'll try to think of a way to make them still have a heavy impact while keeping with their conciseness.

As for the veteran trainer's, I treated it as a contrast to the first two, a setup to the succeeding dialogue, and an overall setup to the mood of the one-shot being an examination of the title of "trainer." I figured that it was inevitable for something like this to be present, seeing as Hoenn has quite a lot of aged trainers dotted here and there [this one being in the peak of Mt. Chimney of all places]. As far as her worries just being told rather than seen, I'll be sure to take that into account when I revise it.

[Btw I assumed you meant "him" and "he" for the fourth story, since you're referring to the younger brother of the Bug-type expert - unless you're referring to the one next to it, which is the battle girl in the beach of Route 115. In any case, thank you :D]

Which leads me to a thought I had a couple times when reading – the stories could have perhaps benefitted from some description outside of dialogue. I certainly appreciated the challenge at writing a story entirely out of dialogue (sans the introduction I suppose) and replicating the inspiration’s format as well, but it may have helped flesh out some of the stories some more. For instance, including how the veteran trainer spoke and perhaps something she did during the conversation, would better convey how she was feeling to the reader. Maybe she could be interacting with her Pokémon, or inspecting Brendan’s Pokémon while complaining about the complexity of training today. Other stories could have also benefitted; e.g. some description of the enthusiasm and excitement the woman in the couple spoken to about what she’d do when she found treasure would have further enhanced that part, I felt.

Speaking of which, that story was one of my favourites from the bunch. Three others I enjoyed in particular were the following one (the guy sending letters via Wingull), the Numel trainer’s conversation, and the man with the Zigzagoon. A bunch posed rather interesting insights into Hoenn, such as the Team Magma trainer, and I found it neat that you even included the likes of a Gym Leader and E4 Member. I liked the interpretations you provided for such characters – they certainly expanded well on the few lines they get in the games.

I'll certainly take the description outside of the dialogue idea into account, since that also means that the person describing them - which in this case would be Brendan - would also be characterized based on how he describes them. Killing two birds with one stone, too, since it improves on what little the readers know of Brendan from the introduction, and from the comments I had in "Berries" where I used pretty much the same device (both stories being dependent purely on dialogue), his characterization could be a point of criticism if I kept it this way.

I noticed how the stories that caught your eye are the ones which talk about a specific Pokemon of theirs, so I'll definitely see how those worked out to make the others better. :) And I'm glad you pointed out the Team Magma trainer - his is definitely my favorite, and I can blame him for being the reason why I made this fic seeing as his internal conflict is so interesting and such a breath of fresh air from the otherwise straightforward Emerald plot.

I do feel that the ordering of the stories might be interesting if they were ordered ‘chronologically’, or rather, in order Brendan would have met these characters in the games. Steven’s conversation at the end was a decent selection I thought and this would keep it at the end as well if you had it as a post-E4 picture in Emerald, going by the content of that story. Otherwise, in its current state there wasn’t a clear order and that might help give the story a bit more of a structure. And now I’m intrigued by the idea of such a story being done as a trainer fic – the adventure of the games only told by conversations with people encountered every so often, heh. I guess that’s one of my favourite things about this; the unique structure and potential such a layout has.

You have no idea how much I laughed at this, because I expected the order of the story to be called into question and I can't help but be amused at how poor my reply was going to be - which is that it was an issue that arose of something entirely independent of the writing. My original plan was to do it in the way you said, which is to arrange them in the order Brendan meets them in the game. Unfortunately, the "PC version" of the game suddenly crashed on me after I beat the Pokemon League, which meant I was unable to get the post-E4 screenshots of the two characters who I planned to end the story with: Mr. Briney (in the S.S. Tidal) and Steven (in Meteor Falls). Knowing that I'd be called into question if the screenshots were of their earlier appearances, I decided to shuffle the order and make it so that they're arranged thematically instead of chronologically, which still gave me the luxury of putting Steven's entry last (and I thought it worked well when I put it after the cooltrainer/Winstrate's).

Of course, that's a very poor excuse, but after seeing the thematic connections and how it works well with my plans for this fic, I thought it'll be okay to go with that. I'll definitely improve on the transitions and try to make the order more clear and structural. I do see the potential of the "journey" being tied in well with the chronological order though.

Thank you very much for all the comments bobandbill! They were all very helpful. :)

Dragonfree:

I quite like the idea of Brendan just really liking to hear people's stories; what with how the player character listens to people say the randomest things about themselves in the game, it seems very fitting. The trainers' anecdotes are a nice cross-section of the variety of lives trainers might lead, each with their own troubles and views of the world, and a lot of them interestingly take on issues that you don't really see much in Pokémon fanfiction.

That's a really neat way of putting it! I have to be honest and say that I didn't make the connection at first and thought that Brendan's penchant for learning about other people's stories really just fit in with how he's an adventurer and how he gets into a lot of conflict in his journeys, but the way you say it makes so much more sense. So I'm gonna have to file that as an accidental hit. Sorry! XD

The variety of the trainers is no accident, though. I haven't read that many trainer fics, but I figured that it's unfair to say that the journeys of all the trainers are as clean-cut as what the player character experiences, and I took it as an aim to bring up many of the overlooked aspects of it: mainly familial, social, and economic aspects, with some gender and political issues thrown in there, too. I really believe that there's so much about the "trainer's journey" trope that can be explored, which is why trainer fics are so popular, and I thought that this fic could tackle that in a more calm but in-your-face way.

I did think it ended rather abruptly, though. I expected either an anecdote that clearly ties the others together somehow or a return to Brendan - as it was I was just surprised to find eventually I couldn't scroll down any further. It fits with the "Humans of New York" inspiration, since that project doesn't have an end, but in a self-contained short story it leaves it feeling kind of aimless.

Hmm, noted on the ending. It's unfair for me to claim that the lack of a definitive conclusion is the result of me gunning for the HONY style since this is still a one-shot that should follow certain conventions, so I'll try to see if I can make the ending more conclusive. I'm not sure if that means I'll be revising Steven's dialogue or adding one with Brendan, but thanks for pointing that out.

I also felt the stories could have been more consistent in the level of realism in their approach to the Pokémon world. Mixing lighthearted comedy and seriousness is fine, but some of the more comical stories sound exaggerated and artificial, rather reminiscent of in-game dialogue - the first couple, for instance, as well as the one with the woman recounting all the things she wants to buy and especially the one with the Pokéfan going on about her Pokémon. It wouldn't be so bad if all of them tried to emulate the style of the games that way, but because the others tend to be more realistic and genuine, I think the two styles kind of sabotage each other - the more realistic ones make the more gamelike ones sound cartoony and fake in comparison, and the more gamelike ones make the more realistic ones harder to take seriously.

Interesting comment. I admit that I didn't really think of there being a rather deep divide between the comedic and serious ones aside from their mood, seeing as almost all of the stories were based entirely on in-game dialogue that was expanded into a sort-of drabble. But that means I have to work on making each story have a less conflicting effect on the reader. I'm leaning towards toning down the cartoony ones, but I'll just have to see. Thanks for pointing this out.

The one about the Numel the woman got from a Team Magma member is an unusual case; there the woman's actual story is told in a more serious manner, but the scene it describes and the dialogue quoted is distinctly clichéd, with the heartless evil team member calling Numel a "good-for-nothing Pokémon" and being willing to fairly battle a random bystander for her. It seems particularly shallow in light of the very next story, where the reasons somebody might be part of an evil team are explored in a more sympathetic fashion; the flatly villainous game-style Magma grunt described in the previous story does not feel like he belongs in the same world as the man who feels trapped and worries about repercussions for his family if he quits. Compared to the other, far more sweet and genuine story of a trainer befriending a Pokémon (the one with the Zigzagoon that was trying to clean up the beach), the Numel one feels pretty uninspired.

I'll definitely keep this comment in mind when I revise this, since that Numel one and the Magma grunt one are two of my favorites in this collection, and I really want them to be good since I think they create such a nice contrast when one is read after the other. I'll definitely work on making that contrast much more pronounced and seem like they aren't just two sides of a coin.

Thanks for pointing out how the Zigzagoon one worked - I'll definitely see if I can incorporate what I did there to the Numel one.

There are also some typos and odd wording here - not enough to detract massively from it, but enough to be somewhat noticeable. A few more rounds of proofreading would have smoothed it out better.

Overall, I think you did a good job of portraying a little slice of the Pokémon world, showing how different people's stories can be and the kinds of things different trainers may be thinking or worrying about. Some of these stories are beautiful, sweet, interesting, even insightful perspectives on their respective topics. But the cartoonier entries felt a bit out of place, and the lack of structure and closure blunted its impact a bit for me.

I'll definitely do more proofreading before I post this in the forum, and I'll be sure to do something about the ending and the contrasting effects. Thank you very much for the comments, Dragonfree! I realized things that I really should've the first-time around, and it'll really help me in revising this one-shot. :)

Negrek:

I love this idea. I'm a big fan of Humans of New York, and I'm always excited to see somebody trying something new for a contest.

I think you do a good job of capturing the feel of HONY, too. In particular you have a great knack for getting down the "**** people say" style excerpts, where the interviewee says something completely on the nose and vaguely funny or wise (I'm talking in particular about entries like the first "figuring out the trainer part" one or the one with the picnicker in the desert).

YEEEES another HONY fan! It's such a simple but powerful concept and I'm glad to see that someone who knows that saw some of its feeling in this fic, so thank you very much for pointing that out. If anything, the idea for this one-shot came after I spent half a day at work reading up on three years' worth of HONY posts (it was a really slow day). XD

After reading through the whole thing, though, I felt like you were missing a bit of the poinancy of the original. You have some trainers with difficult backgrounds, some who don't really know where they're going in life, some who're having a great time, and so on, but the tone of them is pretty similar throughout; they don't really drive towards the extremes. In HONY itself you have some stories that seem just impossibly tragic or beautiful or downright hilarious in addition to the mundane. There weren't any interviews that struck me that way in this group. Obviously transcendant stories like that are a ton to ask of a writer, and a lot of what makes it possible for HONY is that you're getting people's actual stories, rather than constructed fiction. It adds a raw edge to things that's very difficult to imitate. Nonetheless, I'm not sure you were stretching towards capturing that kind of effect as much as you could have been. I feel like the emotional range of the stories being told could have been broader, and that if it was it would help give the story as a whole more versimilitude and impact.

Hmm, interesting. I was thinking that the trainers I picked were all pretty diverse in terms of where they were coming from, but I didn't think about how the intensity of all of their stories isn't as impactful as what you'd expect to get every one in seven or eight posts in HONY. Off the top of my head I can think of around three potential stories that can get this treatment (Team Magma trainer, the Victory Road Cooltrainer/Winstrate, and the Bug Master's younger brother), so I'll see what I can do about that.

However, while I thought the tone for the interviews might have been a little same-y, I love how varied you made the trainers' backgrounds and aspirations; I thought you did a great job of portraying more than just the "typical" trainer's journey. That definitely helps give the impression that this is a real world Brendan's inhabiting, and the diversity of people's views on what training means, and the many different reasons they pursue it is obviously important to your theme. However, given the number of people who espouse some disdain for hyper-competitive trainers who are obsessed with climbing the achievement ladder, suggesting that people perceive it to be a common perspective, I'm a bit surprised that Brendan didn't actually run into any of them during his wanderings.

While I liked how many different stories you gave glimpses of here, I think you might want to consider cutting down on the overall number. By around page 22 things were starting to feel a bit draggy to me. Choosing what stories you want to include in a piece like this is always going to be difficult; obviously you need to choose ones that relate to your theme and/or desired message, but you don't want the collection to feel too constructed, so you don't really want a laser focus either--there should be room for kind of quirky, off-the-wall inclusions that only indirectly comment on the theme or act to mix things up a bit. You want the collection to feel a little messy, I think. Overall I think the balance you came up with here is good, so I would suggest trying to maintain it if you do decide to eliminate some entries (i.e. don't simply get rid of all the jokey ones).

Noted about the smogon-like hyper-competitive trainers. Admittedly the closest one to those types of trainers I included was the cooltrainer/winstrate in Victory Road, and his issues aren't really focused on that aspect of him, so I'll see if I can insert one somewhere.

As for cutting down the number, that's definitely something I've been trying to work on, since the version I submitted here was actually cut down from its first draft, which had around seven or eight more stories on top of the twenty-nine that made the final cut. I'll see if I can meet a happy medium of taking out some while adding in others and maybe revising the contents of others so that I can also work on the diversity, which seems to be one of the better points of this one-shot. Speaking of which, I appreciate your comment on their variety, since like I said above in my replies to Dragonfree's comments, it's really something I worked hard on.

As for the theme itself, I think what you're going for here is a message about finding yourself and going your own way--enjoying the journey for the journey rather than being heavily focused on results. I think it might be a little subtle; after the first read-through I wasn't entirely sure what you were going for, but returning to the piece again later I thought the intent was pretty clear. I think you might want to foreground the theme a little more, although again, that's going to be a real balancing act in a story like this, since nothing would make it more tedious than getting punched in the face with "SO THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS" every page.

Actually, like what I said in my replies to Dragonfree's review above, I was gunning more for an exploration of the "trainer" title/occupation/role and what that means to different people, but I do think that the theme of finding yourself is a logical extension of that, since an exploration of your role as a trainer is related to a reflection of who you are as a person. While some of the stories here have a pretty clear moral attached to it, I do agree that I might overdo it if I make it more obvious in the others, so I'll see what I can do to keep the effect not too overt and not too subtle.

As far as the writing goes, there are a few typos here and there, but all in all it's nicely polished. As I said earlier, I think you do a good job of capturing the conversational tone you often see on HONY. If anything, it would be nice to see a little more variation in how the people being interviewed speak. The vast majority of them seem to speak in a fairly neutral voice--slightly pleasant, slightly wise, but without a lot of individual character. There are exceptions, but not many, and they're pretty universally played for laughs (the pokémon fan, for example; that one felt a bit out of place). I don't really get the feeling that any of the people being interviewed are particularly cranky, or were jokesters, or pushy, or any of those other strong sorts of personalities that you can pick up very quickly from people. This is again difficult to pull off because these traits often aren't as pronounced in what real people say, in short snippets, as they are in fiction. But I think a little more diversity in tone, to match the diversity of backgrounds in the interviewees, would help to make the exerpts feel more interesting and realistic.

Ah, that's something I have to work on. I've been called out a lot on how the tone of my characters are very similar when you put them side-by-side, and that isn't really something that should happen in a dialogue-heavy story like this. This also relates to your previous comment of increasing the emotional range of the stories - even if I do that, that won't really amount to anything if I keep their tone the same, so thank you for this.

I also have to admit that this didn't feel very "Hoenn." The pictures, of course, are all of Hoenn locations, some of them very iconic. The prose, though, often didn't do a lot to locate the speaker in the region. How might a trainer from Hoenn have a different perspective from a trainer from Kanto? For the most part the responses sound like they could come from ordinary people living anywhere.

Fair point, and I'm afraid I don't really know how to solve this since "Trainers of Kanto" isn't really in my mind now :p . I try to focus on this in one of the groups of connected stories that focus on Hoenn (the one with Mr. Briney) and how the ranger from Almia thinks that this beauty is under-appreciated. Unlike HONY, where you get that sense of diversity from the contrasting social, cultural, and economic spheres that reside within New York, Hoenn doesn't really have much of that outside of the fanatics (the villainous teams). If anything, I can try to focus on how different areas of Hoenn may react differently, but the games don't really give much of that in the dialogue, so that's something I'll have to expand on my own. (ORAS does something akin to this in the contrast of Mauville Hills with the rest of Mauville, so I'll definitely use that.)

In the end I also gotta admit I don't know how well this one would work for somebody not already familiar with HONY. Not that that's a bad thing, really, but it'll be interesting to see what some of the judges who aren't familiar with/fans of it think.

BNB's comments above may be a good indicator of this, since unlike your review and Dragonfree's, he doesn't make any comparisons to HONY at all. I'll definitely see what I can do about that, and I wonder if Phoenixsong has a non-HONY-influenced perspective as well. I'll get to PM-ing her.

All things said and done, this was the entry that excited me the most, and while I think there were some elements that could have been executed better, I absolutely love the idea. This is just such a very, very hard kind of writing to imitate without actually having real people's words to draw on--usually when we write fiction, we're not actually trying to capture the world precisely as it is, but rather construct a world that feels real but is actually more refined than true reality. Here you really want to capture that reality, but using words that are completely made up. It's a tall order, but even with some imperfections, it's great to see somebody take on that challenge.

I'm glad to hear that, and it certainly was a challenge that I was more than happy to take. Thank you very much for the review, Negrek, and thank you for holding such an awesome contest! :)

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Imaginative Clockwork said:
Negrek, you said that this seems to imply that they really did change for the better, and I could see why you think that. What I was trying to get across, though, was that they tried but didn’t succeed, hence the consolation ribbon as opposed to a blue ribbon or first-place ribbon. The consolation prize here represents effort instead of achievement, and I was trying to say that despite their good intentions, they ultimately didn’t end up following through. The ending is basically a sort of joke, where Robin and Cody get to reset all the bad will they've built up, but they don't want to put in the effort to take advantage of it. I can see how confusing this could be, though, so it’s definitely a top priority in my revision.
Ah, I gotcha. I guess where I got confused was in thinking that the ribbon meant that they resolved to do better and then actually tried to do so, but ended up not doing a very good job at all, rather than making the resolution and not following through. The ribbon makes me think "you tried" rather than "you didn't even try," which to me sounds more like what you're suggesting the situation actually was.

I’ll have to give some thought to this. I thought I included enough references to their past behavior to establish their characters (the paying for food without reimbursement idea is even something Marcus brings up at the end), but do you think more needs to happen within the story’s timeline, instead of things that happened beforehand? I think that’s a fair point, and I’ll try to include some of that before I post it.
Ah, no, sorry--I thought the references at the end were just fine in terms of establishing the nature of Marcus' relationship with Cody and Robin. I just wanted to see something like that a little earlier in the story, that's all. I think before the end, the only concrete references we get are the line about Cody playing keep-away with his pokéballs and Robin telling people that his mom still dresses him. Those are good, particularly the pokéball one because it's implied that Cody does this to Marcus frequently; I just wanted to see a little bit more earlier on, which would give a better indication of why Robin and Cody can start believing so quickly that Marcus might want to kill them.