• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alright, what's the point in asking someone to be your friend?

Mythic Mist

Indecent Exposure
So...what? What's the point in being friends with someone? Does that mean I have to keep in contact with them, and have little chats through PM or over IM with them?

This makes me seem Anti-Social doesn't it? <_<

It's for ego boosts mostly, Although some people actually have genuine freinds they talk to (Either through PM or IMing them).

indigestible_wad

Not at all. It just says to me that you aren't sure how to keep in touch with someone online.

What's the point of having a friend is obvious. What you have to do to keep in contact with them is entirely up to you. If you were to have a PM conversation with them, I would advise you to keep sending messages back and forth for as long as possible. If you break off a PM conversation, it's generally kind of difficult and uncomfortable to start one up again. If you're just going to IM them, it doesn't really matter. You can talk to them any time you feel like, as long as you keep in contact.

facetious

facetious
Then don't talk to them?

And if you think talking to someone over IM is "anti-social", isn't coming here just as bad (if not worse)? :)

Mythic Mist

Indecent Exposure
facetious, I was referring on how I'm asking what's the point of friends...<_<

BTW, thanks for the responses everyone.

Chaos Weavile

Pikachu and Evos Fan
I like the people on the forums but I don't really want to be best friends with them. I'd rather talk to my real friends, whom I can visit in my area.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
People you ask to be your friends are not your friends, they are just random people who say "'ll be your friend" without knowing a damn thing about you, your interests or your eating habits. Nobody should ever ask for friends, it's a pointless endeavour. If you want friends you earn them through interaction. Then, when you least expect it you don't need to think about PM them and have IM chats with them, because your already doing so.

So...what? What's the point in being friends with someone? Does that mean I have to keep in contact with them, and have little chats through PM or over IM with them?

This makes me seem Anti-Social doesn't it? <_<

friend
n 1: a person you know well and regard with affection and trust;
"he was my best friend at the university"
2: an associate who provides assistance; "he's a good ally in
fight"; "they were friends of the workers" [syn: ally]
[ant: foe]
3: a person with whom you are acquainted; "I have trouble
remembering the names of all my acquaintances"; "we are
friends of the family" [syn: acquaintance]

I have friends that I'm not able to keep in contact with in real life too often, so we generally talk on IM and/or phone. I don't see a problem with it.

If someone was a real friend, you'd want to keep in contact with them. You wouldn't have to 'ask' about it on a Pokemon board.

Must be Asperger's Syndrome huh.

Mythic Mist

Indecent Exposure
friend
n 1: a person you know well and regard with affection and trust;
"he was my best friend at the university"
2: an associate who provides assistance; "he's a good ally in
fight"; "they were friends of the workers" [syn: ally]
[ant: foe]
3: a person with whom you are acquainted; "I have trouble
remembering the names of all my acquaintances"; "we are
friends of the family" [syn: acquaintance]

I have friends that I'm not able to keep in contact with in real life too often, so we generally talk on IM and/or phone. I don't see a problem with it.

If someone was a real friend, you'd want to keep in contact with them. You wouldn't have to 'ask' about it on a Pokemon board.

Must be Asperger's Syndrome huh.

Well, I do hope that was sarcasm, cuz I was just asking cuz someone asked to be friends, and then I see some people's sigs saying "PM me to be Friends." I know what a friend is IRL, cuz I have a few :D. Thanks anyway