• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Alternatives to Nintendo WiFi USB Connector?

Topic title. Are there any alternatives that I can use to connect my DS lite to the internet?

My mother won't allow me to change the router's security setting to WEP, and I won't do that myself since it's easy to hack.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Topic title. Are there any alternatives that I can use to connect my DS lite to the internet?

My mother won't allow me to change the router's security setting to WEP, and I won't do that myself since it's easy to hack.

Internet café or Wi-Fi hot spot.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Honestly, as long as you change your WEP key to something other than the original, no one is going to hack it. That being said, if all you need is Wi-Fi for Mystery Gift, droping the security in the middle of the night to make a quick connection is a safe way to go. Other than that, you're left with free hotspots like blaze boy said. Most free hotspots are upgrading their security settings so your DS wont be able to connect anymore. McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts have already did this in my area.

But honest, no one is really going to hack anything that takes efforts, but better safe than sorry I guess.

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
Seriously, just change it to WEP.
No one's gonna hack it.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
Depends on where you live honestly. If you live in a large neighborhood, and you drop your connection down to WEP, I am sure you will be fine. But I live in an apartment building where anyone could get on if they tried hard enough. I have had problems with connecting to hotspots as well, even as far back as 2 years ago, i.e. at a Barnes and Noble. My only suggestion would be to upgrade your hardware if you could, Dsi and 3DS can hook into WPA and connect that way. At least that is my understanding.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Yeah they can I have a DS lite, DSI and a 3ds the lite cant connect to my router (WPA) but my DSI and 3ds can.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

The only other alternative I can think of would be to connect your DS lite to a phone's internet through tethering. Though the low speed would make it hard to do much on it.

OkikuMew

The DS Lite can also connect with router security settings other than WEP, so it should work (you just need to change the connection settings on your DS). Note though that there's some routers that the DS doesn't support, and like Thomas mentioned, depending on where you live, there might be interference with other routers (or even with any other kind of electronic devices that uses wireless functionalities) can screw with a DS' connection.

But anyhow, if you really can't connect to your router, your only options would be hotspots, or simply ask a friend to connect your DS to their router (I personally don't recommend connecting your DS to a phone's internet).

Rainion

Long Awaited Champio
Seriously, don't change it to WEP. Anyone can crack a WEP key in a few minutes if anyone's actively passing data through. Saying that no one will hack you is stupid because if someone is looking for a wireless network to get access to of course they'd look for the WEP ones first.

See if your router has a "Guest Network" feature. What that allows you to do is create a second wireless network and specify certain rules. You can create that network with WEP and have it limit access to only the internet so they won't have access to your LAN. Along with that you can hide the SSID, which really isn't fool proof and you can still grab the SSID if you know what youre doing, but it'll still stop the common hooligans. That way your mother won't have to try to remember some 16 character string to change all of her devices to and you won't completely compromise wireless security. If someone does get access to it, they can't do anything to your LAN.

Earthia100

I have a nintendo wi-fi USB connector and let me tell you, It does not work. All I can say is that you could try buying another router and just use it for your DS.

I had the exact same problem. But I just use my sister's DSi and as long as I charge it she doesn't really mind.