• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Altoshippping General Discussion

• Thread starter Chris-The-Scout
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
wayc said:
Can the fics you've found be translated?! o_O;; Want to trade links? XD
It would probably be possible to translate some of them, but neither easy nor quick. For anyone who reads Japanese, there are several on this page. (note that it's a Latias site, and not all are Altoshippy)

In the comic, is Latias saying something in the panel after she reveals her true form? Do you know what it says? I'm pretty sure she didn't say anything in the movie. :p It's probably like "SQUEAL" or "CHIRP" or something, but just thought I'd ask.
Just a sound effect.

Last edited:
C

Chris-The-Scout

My fic will might be done by the end of tonight or tomarrow afternoon.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Finally, a ship that I think is cute. I would have liked it better if Latias was really a girl instead of a pokemon.

C

Chris-The-Scout

Change of plans. My fic might be delayed for a few days.

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
Yeee!!! Altoshipping!! ;380; My favorite topic that I've been waiting to discuss since I joined the forums!

Want a pic, see the usual one in my sig! :)

Yes, the scene of Latias cradling Ash is really cute, though when I first saw that I was still thinking their relationship in terms of how Chikorita treated Ash and was like, "Heh, she's got him right where she wants him now!" ;) (And surprises of surprises Ash didn't mind being in this situation.) But without any goofy advances like Chikorita does it became clear this was a serious romance, and not a joke.

Now here's a Pokemon who only needs her sweetheart to make her happy. After she rescues the both of them from the living water spout she hits the pavement pretty hard and looks hurt. But once she looks into Ash's face its like everything is OK again and she's all smiles. It's so sweet!

I just wonder if Ash is her first romance (human or Pokemon) or if she has had lots of boyfriends over the hundreds of years she's been around? It sure would become very lonely for her if she didn't. OTOH, it's more romantic to think that this is her first love after all that time.

wayc

Latias Fanatic!!!
That's a very good thought, AscendingLatios. I think he may very well be her first love. She's obviously very young for a Latias, even if she has been around for a while. It seemed like Latias was barely at the age to be old enough to make her own decisions and decide who she wants to be with to make her happy... and rebelled against her brother's over-protectiveness. It was so cute after Latios had accepted Ash and saw how well he and Latias got along with each other.

I think this ship is so awesome. It's very unique and beautiful... after they've done so much for each other. She saved him from smacking into the wall with her neck, and then he saved her from Annie & Oakley, then she had him follow her and play, then came to him when she was scared and he comforted her... and so much more. I just can't see why it wouldn't make the perfect relationship.

It's nice to meet someone who seems to feel the same way about this subect as I do, AscendingLatios. ^^

C

Chris-The-Scout

Question: Do you wan't the fic to be one shot, ore in chapters?

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
wayc said:
That's a very good thought, AscendingLatios. I think he may very well be her first love. She's obviously very young for a Latias, even if she has been around for a while. It seemed like Latias was barely at the age to be old enough to make her own decisions and decide who she wants to be with to make her happy...

Maybe... In terms of actual years she's probably very old - remember the US dub changed the origin of Latios and Latias to within Lorenzo's lifetime. However, in the original legend they were around long before Lorenzo was born, and judging by the age of those stone carvings it could be hundreds of years. Of course, since they are Eon Pokemon even hundreds of years may still be very young for them, though I wonder how much fun it can be hanging around your own private garden all that time unable to interact with the local populace except when you're either in disguise or invisible?

That's why I'm torn between whether it's better to have had both of them had romances in the past which is more realistic (and not so pathetic) or whether (in Latias' case anyway) it's better being her first time which has a lot of dramatic impact on the meaningfulness of their relationship.

wayc said:
and rebelled against her brother's over-protectiveness. It was so cute after Latios had accepted Ash and saw how well he and Latias got along with each other.

Which reminds me: Has anyone noticed how Latios is glaring at them in that DVD menu pic? It's almost like he's thinking, "Hey kid, what are you doing with my sister!" :)

wayc said:
I think this ship is so awesome. It's very unique and beautiful...

To give a more detailed explanation why I like this ship, it's because:

1) Latias really is the perfect girl for Ash and they really seem to hit it off every time they are together. There's no closer relationship a trainer could have with a Pokemon they use in battle than if that Pokemon also happens to be your significant other. I mean, you have to really have faith in one another to go and put your girlfriend or boyfriend out in a arena where they could get seriously hurt or lose and have respect issue afterwards. It's the ultimate in trust; she has to communicate to Ash, "Look, I trust you to battle me properly and I expect you to not wimp out and go easy with me otherwise I won't achieve my full potential!" With every win their love would grow and grow.

2) It's a ship with a lot of possibilities for sacrifice in future storylines:

- Latias leaves Altomare to be with Ash, ending a legend.
- Ash gives up his dream of becoming a Pokemon master to be with her.
- Ash brings down the wrath of society on himself because he gets outed as someone dating a Pokemon.
- Latias gives up her ability to be a Pokemon and takes on a permanent human form to be with Ash.
- Even if they live happily ever after, Latias is still going to have to say goodbye to Ash eventually since she lives so long.

(However, aside from the death issue I'm usually against Latias being the one to make permanent personal sacrifices since she's been through so much pain already. I just have the ultimate sympathy for her.)

So it's because there is so much contrast between the happy times and sad times Ash and Latias would have together that make it the ultimate ship, story-wise.

OTOH, I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Ash: I love how perfect they are for each other but I hate that he's such an insensitive clod when it comes to romance. I think he left Altomare way too soon after the action died down. :mad: It's a good thing Latias was so understanding of Ash's dreams.

wayc said:
It's nice to meet someone who seems to feel the same way about this subect as I do, AscendingLatios. ^^

Gee, thanks! Still waters run deep. :) I'm usually not one to just bring it up out of the blue since I hate to come off as an evangelizer but if someone asks me about Altoshipping I'm more than happy to gush over it! :D

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
AscendingLatios said:
Maybe... In terms of actual years she's probably very old - remember the US dub changed the origin of Latios and Latias to within Lorenzo's lifetime. However, in the original legend they were around long before Lorenzo was born, and judging by the age of those stone carvings it could be hundreds of years.
True, but... the original also established that there were many Latios and Latias that came and went from the city over the years, rather than one pair in permanent residence. I see no reason to think that these particular ones are that old.

wayc

Latias Fanatic!!!
Wow, Ascending... I totally agree with your reasons why you like the ship. They're practically the same as mine, but you took the time to get them out. I used to, but I got sick of writing huge posts about why I liked Altoshipping when nobody seemed to care. :p

But yes, that trust idea where their love grows through battling, is awesome! I also noticed in that picture about Latios looking askance at Ash when he's around his sister. Typical big brother I guess. :p I think Latios trusted Ash for the most part. I think it sucks that Latias had to lose her brother AND her love within about a day of each other... you'd think Ash would at least stay to comfort her a bit longer. :(

I really wish it could have worked out. *sighs* Oh well, at least there's fanfiction! ^^

Speaking of fanfiction, I vote for it all being in one part, MooshyKris. :)

Last edited:
C

Chris-The-Scout

Murgatroyd said:
It would probably be possible to translate some of them, but neither easy nor quick. For anyone who reads Japanese, there are several on this page. (note that it's a Latias site, and not all are Altoshippy)

Just a sound effect.

To translate them I used Alta Vista Babelfish Online Translater, it worked, but some of the words were replaced with boxes that look like this [] instead of English words. What does that mean?

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
That probably means that (1)Babblefish wasn't able to translate the word, and (2) your system isn't able to display the original Japanese.

G

gonbemaster

I think that Latias is better being a girl. My friend told me this weird thing about how the artist in the 5th movie kissed Ash instead of Latias.

C

Chris-The-Scout

Murgatroyd said:
That probably means that (1)Babblefish wasn't able to translate the word, and (2) your system isn't able to display the original Japanese.

It could be either one, because every time I went onto a Japaniese (Spelling) site, The computer asked me if I wanted to isntall language packs. I said yes. But after instilation, the sites were nothing but those boxes.

wayc

Latias Fanatic!!!
gonbemaster said:
I think that Latias is better being a girl. My friend told me this weird thing about how the artist in the 5th movie kissed Ash instead of Latias.
Bianca/Kanon? Nah, you can pretty much rule her out. She had no emotional feelings toward Ash whatsoever.

I like Latias better in her true form, myself. She's just stealing Bianca's form when she's human, and she doesn't need to hide behind a facade when she's with her Ashy. ^^;

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
Murgatroyd said:
True, but... the original also established that there were many Latios and Latias that came and went from the city over the years, rather than one pair in permanent residence. I see no reason to think that these particular ones are that old.

Interesting, but was it established merely by the appearance of the replacements at the end of the movie, or was it stated specifically in the original legend that the two on Altomare weren't the originals who saved the city way back then? I'm kind of blind here since I can only go by what was in the dub and in the dub Lorenzo said they were the same. I just assumed after I found out about the original legend that that was still the case since the Latis live so long anyway.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Long, long ago, on an island called Alto Mare, there lived an old man and an old woman. One day, the couple found two small children lying injured on the beach. Under the couple's gentle care, the children quickly became well. But then, without warning, the island was attacked by monsters. Within moments, the island fell to the monsters. And then...
Before the astonished eyes of the old man and lady, the children transformed. They were the Eon Pokémon, Latios and Latias. The two called their family from the sky. They came, and brought with them a stone with the power to drive away the monsters. This was the gem known as the "Soul Dew". Peace returned to the island. In the years that followed, the Latios and Latias family often visited the island where the Soul Dew rested. And since that time, the island has never again been attacked.

[Translator's Note: The term "family" is my own interpolation. No matter how you look at it, though, every instance where I have used that term is unarguably plural.]

Also...
"For generations, our family has guarded this secret garden, for the Latios and Latias [plural] that visit the island."

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
Murgatroyd said:
In the years that followed, the Latios and Latias family often visited the island where the Soul Dew rested. And since that time, the island has never again been attacked.

This part I knew about, but I always interpreted the translation as their other Lati@s friends and family would come to visit occasionally, but the original two that disguised themselves as children and made the initial call to save the island were staying put to watch over the island and these two were those same two. However:

Murgatroyd said:
"For generations, our family has guarded this secret garden, for the Latios and Latias [plural] that visit the island."

This seems to indicate that indeed several generations of Lati@s have passed since the original legend occurred. So I guess Latias and Ash can grow old together after all. :) Where did the second quote appear in the original movie?

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
AscendingLatios said:
Where did the second quote appear in the original movie?
*Pulls out almost-never-watched copy of English version*
*Watches scene where Ash, Bianca, and Lorenzo are talking in the garden*
Damn, they changed a lot in the dialogue of that scene. It's at about the point where Ash says "I do have a few questions, though".

AscendingLatios

Volcano Trainer
Murgatroyd said:
*Pulls out almost-never-watched copy of English version*
*Watches scene where Ash, Bianca, and Lorenzo are talking in the garden*
Damn, they changed a lot in the dialogue of that scene. It's at about the point where Ash says "I do have a few questions, though".

Ohhhh.. That scene! I thought the quote might be Latias/Latios narrating their own legend at the start of the movie. :) Then the dialogue "For generations, our family..." is being said by Lorenzo/Bongore or Bianca/Kanon and not Latios or Latias? If that's the case then it still could be possible they could be the actual Pokemon from the legend, because my interpretation of the original legend is still plausible.

(I feel a bit like I've strayed a bit off the topic of Altoshipping, if anyone is getting annoyed let me know and maybe it can continue in the Pokemon Heroes movie thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.